Perthworld
Years ago

FIBA World Cup 2019 draw

Group H (Dongguan):

Canada
Senegal
Lithuania
Australia

Great, Boomers got handed the Group of Death! Since this is the first expanded World Cup and it features a lot of dud teams getting handed this draw is shocking.

Also, we cross-over with the US for the quarter-finals or if not then the semis.

:|

Topic #44973 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #738302 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If we're a legit medal chance then a group of death shouldn't be a problem.
It looks to me like if we keep winning, we don't run into the USA until the gold medal game. (assuming they also keep winning)

Reply #738303 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What are you on about?

Look at the cross-overs - at worst we face the US in the quarter-finals at best semi-finals.

We can't avoid them.

USA are in Group E. AUS in Group H. Top two of Group E go into Group K; Top two of Group F advance into Group L in the Round of 32.

Group K and L cross-over in the QF and SF stages.

Reply #738304 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

And not surprisingly it has been setup so China get an easier run as hosts in the top half of the draw.

Reply #738305 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

USA are in Group E. AUS in Group H. Top two of Group E go into Group K; Top two of Group F advance into Group L in the Round of 32.

The last sentence should read as: "Top two of Group H advance into Group L in the Round of 32.

Reply #738307 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What are you on about?

Not sure I could have been clearer. I must be reading the schedule wrong.

Reply #738308 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

The host always gets put in pot 1 when teams are drawn, ensuring they avoid the top seeds.

We can only hope that Canada don't have their NBA guys as they often don't.

Reply #738316 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Okay got you now. AUS and USA meet if they win their second group (likely) and we are runners-up. But as winner AUS go into the top half of the bracket.

So it is crucial we win the group to be transferred to the top half of the draw.

Reply #738318 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A A Ron yes and then they used probably used the UEFA hot balls strategy (LOL) to avoid tougher opponents for them.

Reply #738320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can't read. insults person who can read. classy.

Reply #738350 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We can only hope that Canada don't have their NBA guys as they often don't.

This is the key.

Reply #738352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who replaces Dante Exum if he cant make it throw injury

Reply #738457 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

NZ's group a bit harsh too. They have Greece and Brazil in their group. I otherwise like to see NZ do well, but this might be fortunate for Australia in a way because our records will be compared to see who gets the Oceania spot in the 2020 Olympics.

If NZ perform better than us, we need to win one of the 4 pre-Olympic tournaments to gain entry into the Olympics.

Reply #738591 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I wonder if being placed in this difficult group makes it less likely for Simmons to play. Although in reality it means we need him more and he should participate to help earn his spot in the Olympics. After all, an Olympics spot isn't available to him if the whole team doesn't qualify.

Reply #738594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I were to guess Lemanis' squad today, it would look something like this:

Guards - Dellavedova, Mills, Sobey, Goulding
Wings - Ingles, Broekhoff, Creek
Bigs - Bolden, Motum, Baynes, Bogut, Maker

Simmons - Hmm. Risk a max deal by spending the summer in China playing for a team of salty veterans who refer to me as "the Yank" and a coach who previously selected the likes of Motum, Bairstow and Martin over me OR spend it safely in sunny California working on my jump shot by day and tapping a Jenner by night. Choices, choices...

Exum - even if he recovers from his knee injury in time, it is hard to see the Jazz brass letting him play. His injury history is worse than Bogut's and that's really saying something. At this point, the Jazz fans are referring to him as "he ded" and "Dante Exhume" or just simply "bust".

Bogut - I give his weathered body a 50% chance of surviving the NBA finals, though I don't doubt his will to play. Probably Humphries to replace him in that case.

Creek - I'm sure Lemanis would prefer to select one more guard, but it will be difficult to overlook what Creek has achieved as probably the best performed Boomer of the last two years. If he misses out, he could consider himself more unlucky than even Simmons in 2016.

Guards - Lemanis may feel the need for more pure point guard play, in which case, possibly (shudders) Cadee for Sobey. Maybe Gliddon bumps out Goulding.

Their time will come - McDowell-White, Green, Adel, Cooks, Humphries, Mathiang, Landale, Froling

Am I on the mark? Anyone feel that this squad can medal?

Reply #738691 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

McCarron instead of Goulding !!!

At least he defends hard, whereas Goulding will be a liability every time he steps (sorry, struts) onto the court.

Reply #738714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every one keeps throwing McDowell-White up, I follow most euro competitions weekly and I can't find anywhere, certainly not at his German club. He could be out injured but nothing I can find.

Reply #738719 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I believe McDowell-White has been out injured. Before that he was playing German second division club Baunach.

Reply #738744 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Anyone going? I was, but life has gotten in the way. Tickets to all Boomers games including finals if they make it is only $210!

Reply #738749 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's a pity that the Olympics is still prioritised well above the World Cup by many players, when the challenge of the World Cup should make it a more prestigious tournament. It's why I think New Zealand's best result ever in major tournaments exceeds the Boomers best ever.

Reply #738967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boomers vs canada in Perth at RAC Arena in early august in lead up to boomers vs usa

Reply #739534 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I heard the rumours about him being called 'the yank' but no one has wanted to name names so it's a bit up in the air as to what the deal is there. If Ben playing comes down to him just not wanting to I'd bar him from ever playing for the Boomers. You're either buying in or your not. This isn't your "whenever I feel like it" social team. If his contract ties him up, fair enough. But if he misses it just to work on a jump shot that he could always be working on anyway, I'd tell him to forget about the Olympics.

"If I were to guess Lemanis' squad today, it would look something like this:

Guards - Dellavedova, Mills, Sobey, Goulding
Wings - Ingles, Broekhoff, Creek
Bigs - Bolden, Motum, Baynes, Bogut, Maker
"

As for whether this squad can medal, I'd say they potentially could. We almost did in Rio with a squad that was noticeably less athletic than this one. But I do think the world cup is a tougher competition. I really hope we do get Simmons though because he elevates the team from very good to being one of the top two or three teams on paper.

Reply #739543 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Given all the NBA talk about him. And Ben needing to work on his jump shot. I actually expect him to spend the off season training and that would mean he doesn't play in the world cup.

It would be nice to have him in the world cup team. But I'm not expecting it

Reply #739554 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

This is the problem when teams like Canada and Australia have all their best players absent for so many games. I imagine it effects most teams with NBA players, but perhaps its worse for these two?

I don't know what system they used for draw, but by and large they have done a good job. Very well balanced.

Yes, the Host nation gets seeded, that is almost always the case. Apart from that, they have spread the tops teams out. (Not sure how Slovenia failed to qualify??) And got a good balance to most groups.

China's group looks a little light because of the Ivory Coast. On previous form they have no business even qualifying, but that means they are on the rise and dangerous.

Simple fact is that Australia is only ranked 11th in the world, and Canada only 23rd. Realistically, we COULD be ranked top 8 and seeded, and presumably Canada could be a lot higher also, but that means going a lot harder in every game.

Reply #739556 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:09 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754