Aussie
Years ago

Interesting article on Jack Bendat

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/perth-wildcats-saviour-jack-bendat-hails-ninth-title-as-best-of-the-lot-ng-b881138567z

He will bankroll the Wildcats for 2-3 years after his passing.

Aren't the Wildcats making a reasonable annual profit?

Why would he need to bankroll the club?

Topic #44982 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

He said today's victory may have been the last championship he would see.

:'(

Reply #738630 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Maybe he means his estate will look after the club initially until a worthy owner is found if he cant sell?

Reply #738634 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Didn't his son pass away last year? He was going to be the successor in ownership

Reply #738636 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He is saying there will be two to three years after his death where his estate will run the club until presumably finding a new owner.

Also the article confirms NBL is a cash burn - $8mil sunk initially.

Reply #738639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Also the article confirms NBL is a cash burn - $8mil sunk initially."

Still better than the A-league. The Perth Glory owner recently said he has lost nearly $30mil on the club, and a 'good' year is only losing a couple of mil. Said most of the A-league teams are like that.

Reply #738641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sell the Wildcats. Are they making a profit?

Reply #738644 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There's only one sporting code in Australia where most of the clubs make profits.

The AFL

And many of the AFL clubs only make profits because of pokies revenue.

It's no surprise that smaller sports rely on people like Bendat, Kestlemen, and Frank Lowy who partially do it for fun.

Having said that, I'd be hoping that Perth and United would both be breaking even right now. 46,000 people mostly paying $60 or $70+ is a significant cash boost.

Reply #738648 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

According to Google Perth was making $1 - $1.5 mil profit 4-5 years ago. Presumably that's continuing

Reply #738649 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

According to Google Perth was making $1 - $1.5 mil profit 4-5 years ago. Presumably that's continuing

That's what I thought too

Reply #738650 | Report this post

Barry Ballbag  
Years ago

Any profits derived from the Wildcats would go straight into the Lynx. They would lose more than the Wildcats make.

Reply #738687 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I would expect the comments regarding bankrolling the cats would mean that incase he does die suddenly, there is money to make sure the team still spends to chase championships instead of whoever takes over initially decides they want to maximize initial revenue, which may come at the cost of team success.

But everyone is going to read into that differently.

Jack is a true wildcats MVP. And deserves his own banner hoisted to the rooftop

Reply #738693 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

He needs to invest in cryo-preservation technology so he doesn't die...

I thought I read something not long ago that in the USA the NFL is the only code that makes a profit?! That can't be right can it?

Reply #738743 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Depends on what they are talking about.

As a whole, probably not. As most teams in most sports will struggle to maintain profits all the time. In championship years. Many would.

Reply #738766 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I believe the Wildcats operate at a healthy operational surplus. I would assume that the Lynx do not. Furthermore I don't know either all the community work, including travelling the length of the state, is already accounted for in the operating surplus, or is taken out of that.

Either way, I just assume that Jack has made provision for the Cats to keep operating, as they are, for a few years, whilst the trust considers the future and makes plans.

Reply #738773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Operating the Lynx as a professional club is a significant cost, so I would be surprised if the Wildcats were as profitable as a few years ago.

Reply #738789 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Also if I remember correctly. The contract negotiations for the Perth arena didn't go "great" so even though they have strong crowds and have ever since moving there. I'm not sure the profit margins are massive.

It would be foolish to think that the cats don't make a profit. But as others have already brought up. There are several other factors that the club spend money on every year.

Either way. This article has just confirmed it's a non issue anyway. And won't be for several - many years.

Reply #738790 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd still love for Jack to get the Wildcats a private jet as you know they will travel a ridiculous amount every season and any help with more leg room etc could prove invaluable in future seasons.

As for Dr. Jack himself, I think that a bust (statue head) of him should be erected at the start of next season in front of Perth Arena for all the good he has done not just as Wildcats owner but within the community

Reply #738936 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Wouldn't be surprised, the Cats already train at the Bendat Basketball Centre and he has a wing at St John of God hospital named after him.

Reply #738950 | Report this post

Merryl Alpert  
Years ago

Jack is my first cousin. Have not heard from or about him and family, in years. Sorry about Pall's passing. Jack’s sister, Annette, lives in L.A.
I am assuming he is still alive!

Reply #818940 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Bendat

Reply #818953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754