Anonymous
Years ago

NBL1

With the season starting next Friday it's time to start a topic with the correct name.
NBL1.

Hobart Huskies announce the signing of Jalen Adams. His write up looks impressive. Lets hope he is as good on the track here.

Topic #44998 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any web page yet ? Team lists ?

Reply #739068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love that on the https://www.nbl1.com.au/ website, the "view schedule" up the top has no link

"REGISTER YOUR INTEREST
Get the latest news from NBL1 including player signings, fixture release and more by signing up below."

haha what's the bet there has been no news sent around

Reply #739069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Adnam, Wilson, Moller playing. Any news rumours

Reply #739070 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hearing Moller may be suiting up for Sandringham.

The media guide is expected early next week apparently.

Reply #739071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller and Barlow that would be formidable.

Reply #739072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing like leaving it to the last minute, bet the first games won't even be available on live stats let alone to view
Just who is actually running this league

Reply #739081 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Barlow back to Sandy and I heard Sam McDaniel as well.
Sandy play Hobart on Friday night as the opener.

Reply #739094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon sandi would be happier with Moller than McDaniel, it's Moller old Ballarat coach isn’t it.

Reply #739109 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

I registered, have not received a thing.

Even the under 14 C grade girls down at Pakenham can get a sportingpulse (or sportstg whatever its called) fixture online, where's a preview? wheres some news?? Way to promote an exciting new league BV.

Reply #739110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller won't be playing with Sandy or in NZ.

Reply #739118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL None!

Reply #739119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart Huskies played the NW Thunder yesterday (away) Losing 75 - 61.
Thunder at full strength. Huskies with a few more players to add. Looking good for the Huskies IMO.

Reply #739310 | Report this post

Chanp  
Years ago

Any news out of Sandringham in the men or women? Scarily quiet only days out of Round 1 with nothing on their website.

Reply #739362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read above.

Reply #739366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooper-Brown men's coach, Barlow, McDaniel, Moller and Carter playing at Sandringham is the rumour.

Reply #739368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Goulding to the Huskies ?

Reply #739375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when do the teams get finalized, I haven't seen a full squad yet anywhere

Reply #739381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller won't be at the Sabres, nor will Goulding be at the Huskies.

Reply #739382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

were do get to watch nbl.1

Reply #739403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 is looking like a poor man's competition compared to what the NZBL competition will be.
So many NBL players will playin in this competition.
With the alliance of the NBL in NBL1, Kestelman must be looking over his shoulder very often.
Better pay, shorter season and everyone wins. The perfect reason to join in the off NBL season rather than play the long (cheaper paying) NBL1 competition.

Reply #739423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^
Exactly, shorter season better money, a national competition against basically a Victorian competition with a 2nd Hobart team (1st in nznbl) and northern Tasmanian team.

Reply #739430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about we wait until the season actually starts before we start bagging it? Some of you guys have no clue what NBL1 is going to look like.

As someone who's been involved at club level for a number of years I can tell you that NBL1 is streets ahead of SEABL.

This is a brand new competition that's been pulled together within a couple of months and what they've achieved is actually incredible. Just sit back and watch and give it a chance before you start sinking the boots in.

Reply #739448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it hard to believe it will be a better competition when all the good players are in the nznbl.

Reply #739452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AS someone who has been involved with basketball in many states over decades I can assure you the NZBL is loaded with talent. Wait for Nick Kay to sign there.

Reply #739453 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

AS someone who has been involved with basketball in many states over decades I can assure you the NZBL is loaded with talent. Wait for Nick Kay to sign there.

Hmm and how many times has NZ beaten Australia in men's and women’s basketball on the world stage ???

And how come if it’s so "loaded" with talent do they need so many NBL players and why is the NBL and WNBL not “loaded” with NZ players

Reply #739467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl 1 is a second string competition in Australia. Nznbl is there top competition, it attracts the better talent, more money shorter season.

Reply #739469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 is arguably a step down from SEABL.
No MtGambier (perennial winners over the last several years). PLus a few of the weaker Melbourne clubs bow in it as well.

Reply #739472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is it a step down from SEABL, SEABL wasnt made up of just one team, sure Mt Gambier are not in it, are they in any league? It has every other team in except Canberra and Sydney(who only joined a couple of years ago and were not competitive.
The women's comp in particular has plenty of WNBL and imports and their normal candidates for the top spots are still very much alive and kicking as in Dandenong, Nunawading and Kilsyth.
Few if any teams have really given out their playing rosters, because of the late organisation of the comp , but it doesn't mean they wont have high caliber players in them

Think thats a big call stating its a step down when its not even begun yet lol

Reply #739494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Purchase signed with Melbourne Tigers, Next the NBL?

Reply #739535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 website is now live. All games live streamed with commentators. Bring on round one!

Reply #739545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Josh Sykes - Elthan Wildcats" Oops.

Reply #739547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laszio Dobos good to see none American import playing for Melbourne Tigers 7 3 Centre from Hungary

Reply #739553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Sam Froling finished College now because his playing in the NBL.1

Reply #739555 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Media guide and rosters through this article

https://nbl1.com.au/news/article/nbl1-set-to-begin

Reply #739563 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Laszio Dobos good to see none American import playing for Melbourne Tigers 7 3 Centre from Hungary"

If I'm not mistaken he's the partner of Louella Tomlinson who plays for the Tigers women's team, so it seems a case of convenience rather than deliberately going a different path.

Good to see Tom Wilson still with the Tigers.

Reply #739566 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Deba George will be the first NBL1 retiree.

Reply #739568 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Or Rhys Carter

Reply #739569 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Hopefully Dobos and Tomlinson have a family, they would have some seriously tall kids with those genetics.

Reply #739571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it will be the same as seabl, as it is seabl with a new name, and minus two teams only one of which who wanted to be there. the hype nbl1 is trying to create doesnt change the standard however it is fantastic that nbl are onboard to promote the league etc. i wonder if ba, when they made decision to disband consider approaching bl to take over running of seabl? in hindsight seems like it would have been a good idea.

Reply #739578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Hobart Huskies teams in a 2 page colour spread in today's Mercury. Fantastic.

Reply #739643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kayla George featuring today on The Mercury's front page.

Reply #739706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies men's team got some talent, but extremely young.

Reply #739709 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Don't sleep on Pouch Pouch.

Reply #739731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where can I find live stats?

Reply #739786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try here: https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/NBL1/1110657/

Reply #739788 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Should have a national tournament and all on nbl.tv every club playing every club. Scrap the state leagues.

Reply #739790 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Where's the women’s live stats

Reply #739792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you for the link.

Reply #739799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try here for the women: https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/NBL1/1111119/

Reply #739800 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is there streaming tonight?

Reply #739801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kk20B69pBA

Reply #739802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible website, no live stats.
Big V kills it.

Reply #739814 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Live stats are in the match centre, under the live stream!

Reply #739824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies women with Kayla George struggled to beat Sabres. However coming back from a 14 point deficit was commendable.
Huskies men struggled to beat an underwhelming Sabres side minus Barlow.
Huskies played Muo Mathiang as well.
Sabres bottom.
Live stats and streaming was available but not for the Huskies Ladies game

1 suspect that the idiot complaining all the time can't work out the technology.

Reply #739828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks AARon.....May take a bit of time to find our way around the new format, but great to have every game there to view, let's hope it runs smoothly as this could be a very good way to do it.

Reply #739840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V doesn't kill anything! Except my eyes!!

Reply #739841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right now the new NBL1 is indeed a bush league. Talent has gone backwards.

Reply #739960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seasons to long to attract the better nbl players and not enough dollars.

Reply #739963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the teams in the nbl1 look like big v champ quality.

Reply #739970 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

"Some of the teams in the nbl1 look like big v champ quality."

That's because that’s where they came from , they will be the “Also rans” at the bottom of the ladder lol

BIGV SC quality is a long way from what SEABL was and the NBL1 is just a rename with hopefully better administrators

Reply #739978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didnt most of the state champ big v teams win this weekend? Lol

Reply #739979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With all the money Frankston have spent, they still lose to Waverley. Lol

Reply #739980 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

The teams that were promoted from Big V did pretty well on the weekend

Reply #739983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New comp same old same old for Frankston. Spend $$$ and both teams lose.

Reply #739984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston players are there for a paycheck not to play for the jersey. In 7 years they have developed no juniors resulting in having to pay players from the outside.

Reply #739988 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Didnt most of the state champ big v teams win this weekend? Lol

They did , but did you both to see who they played
Both men and women with the exception of Eltham v DV ( men and women) and Knox in the women who played a very underwhelming Kylsyth that's had a complete restructuring
The rest played the cellar dwellers of SEABL or the CofE a bunch of 16yr olds
Knox women have spent big bucks on recruiting former SEABL / wnbl players

Reply #739998 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

the so called 16yr CoE kids beat Dandenong in the mens.

Waverley 107 def Frankston 99
Eltham 92 def DV 86
Kilsyth 70 def Knox 67
Ringwood 105 def CoE 94
Albury 80 def Waverley 77

So the BigV teams were 3-2 against SEABL teams

Reply #740000 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I thought I posted in here before but seems to be gone.

Anyways...

I went to the Tigers V Braves games yesterday. Braves women are stacked with WNBL players and will be tough for anyone to beat. Tigers did well with Conti and Tomlinson working hard, but they clearly lacked the quality. Young PG Althea Angeles looks to have a future.

The Tigers men didn't have Tom Wilson in uniform (or on the bench, though he was in the stadium) and they really needed him. Lacked a genuine shot creator and will struggle big time if he doesn't play or if they don't get a decent replacement.

They played pretty good D, especially on the outside and caused a heap of turnovers which helped them score on the fast break, but really struggled in a half court set. Nic Pozoglou impressed me. Kid has some good hops and size and had a great chase down block. He needs some help though.

Reply #740001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson is also training with cats afl team, pozoglou got great athleticism but struggles team wise, still very young though and should improve his basketball iq.

Reply #740008 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Thanks for the info re Wilson. Hoping he sticks with basketball. Kid has real talent.

Pozoglou looked really steady yesterday. 18 (6/13) and 12 with 4 steals and 2 blocks and didn't force too much. Outside shot let him down, but was good everywhere else. Defensively he was everywhere.

Daniel Dyson (or Dyson Daniels? I forget) looked pretty good for Bendigo as a 16 year old.

Reply #740027 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Live stream for DV game kept dropping out but the commentary for the other games was pretty good to hear.

The highlight packages and media is better than SEABL ever was, is the on court product better or worse well thats to be debated.

All I see is the league from a visibility point of view moving in the right direction

Reply #740062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Tassie inclusion in reviews or video. No ladder.
Not good enough.

Reply #740064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO ladder FFS!

Reply #740221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""No Tassie inclusion in reviews or video. No ladder.
Not good enough.""

they included Cayla George in their 'reviews',isn't she playing for Tassie, plenty of teams that had great wins and good scoring players didn't get mentioned either, its not just about Tassie my friend.

FYI...Ladders ARE there you just need to click on it
Id be more concerned about the lack of 'reviews'if I was a women's team, currently its a 10 to 1 review system that NBL1 has got on all its media outlets, 10 mens videos, reviews, photos etc, for every women's, last I looked both comps had the same amount of teams in mens and women's, and your bitching because a Tassie mens team didn't get a mention...lol

Reply #740269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"plenty of teams that had great wins and good scoring players didn't get mentioned either" Well that's an immediate fail. That wouldn't happen in the Seabl.
Finally there is a proper ladder on the home page. Yeah I am bitching because like most Victorians in this League there is no respect for Tassie.
As to the women there is another reason why this comp is no where near the coverage that SEABL offered.

Reply #740588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Short playing very well for Ballarat, to good for a dp, Cairns should look at him as a back up guard.

Reply #740591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy bottom. Knox, Franga and DV. Bottom.

Reply #740654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brutal commentary on the YouTube feed of today's tigers games

Reply #740671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLease explain.

Reply #740680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the guy has never seen a game of basketball in his life. Can't pronounce tigers players names.

Eltham Waverley game was also not great. Guy commentating way too over the top. Screaming guys names down the microphone on about every basket.

Reply #740683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely no way Melbourne Tigers should be allowed to play out of MSAC public courts. We strive to be more professional but allow this to happen?

Reply #740700 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Went to Tigers Vs Frankston yesterday, good to see the Tigers get a win in both games.

In the men, the Tigers were actually hitting some outside shots which freed up Pozoglou to get inside and he had a great game all over the court. I was also really impressed with Will Hickey. He sometimes plays a little out of control, but he's certainly got some talent, and should probably get a look at a DP spot in the NBL next season. Has pretty good size for a SG, is a very good athlete and has a good feel for the game. Hope he keeps it up.

Damon Bozeman was everything for the Blues keeping them in the game in the first half. Iggy was very good too.

The Tigers new import, Mike Wells didn't do a whole lot. It can be tough coming in and performing straight away, but based on that effort looks to be only a backup PG.

Reply #740689 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Absolutely no way Melbourne Tigers should be allowed to play out of MSAC public courts. We strive to be more professional but allow this to happen?"

This certainly wasn't good. I'm guessing it has to do with the lateness of getting the NBL1 league confirmed. From what I understand it was an aberration and won't be the norm.

Reply #740702 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Why were the Tigers not in the Show Court section yesterday?

Reply #740713 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

There was another event on there. Gymnastics I think, but could be mistaken.

Reply #740718 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ah...cheers.

Reply #740722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankstons second import Najeal Young will suiting up tomorrow night.
Should be a welcome addition for Frankston as they have greatly lacked in size and defence in their first games.
Once Trist comes back for Frankston, they will have a somewhat deep roster.

Reply #741042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The intrastate battle in Tassie in on tomorrow night in Hobart. Bragging rights for all.

Reply #741104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eltham are shithouse.

Franga over the Supercats. Trist still yet to join. Interesting.

Reply #741170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Franga ... just keep spending money to cover the issues. Good news is the new GM catching up with a number of "former" club people. Could be light at the end of the tunnel ... bring on the next board elections!!!

Reply #741174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood already down by 20+ and it's only the 2nd Q.

Good betting results last night with the North and North West of the Tasmania taking the bragging rights from the South.

Reply #741315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sabres. Nothing has changed.

Reply #741319 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Northern QBL clubs salute NBL1 growth Basketball ... - Cairns Post
https://www.cairnspost.com.au/.../northern...nbl1.../d6b83031f508191c9d83f1616ec7b2...
20 hours ago - Powerhouse northern QBL clubs have welcomed the potential of a revived national championship as well as the NBL1 brand spreading north of the border. ... Former Cairns Marlin Damon Heuir and Kuany Kuany have opted to exit the QBL for the new competition while former QBL player and ...

Anyone able to open this article please? :)

Reply #741345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any surprises after three rounds? The four teams that have come up from Big V have all been pretty competitive to this point.

Sabres look like they're in for a long year. Bendigo men (1-3) and Kilsyth women (1-3) have been disappointing so far.

Albury/Wodonga men (3-0) and Ringwood women (3-0) probably the surprise packets so far.

Overall standard looks really good and the presentation of the league has been outstanding. All clubs really trying to present a professional product. Lots of positives so far!

Reply #741370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon. Here is the last bit of the Cairns article.

"Last month, NBL CEO Jeremy Loeliger said a conference system across the second-tier leagues in Australia culminating in some sort of national championship was the long-term plan for NBL1.
"A conference system where we could have the NBL1 South, NBL1 North and so on has been discussed and we have talked to Basketball Australia about a national championship and how that could work as well," Loeliger said.
An ABA National Champion has not been crowned since 2008 and dual QBL championship winning coach Rodney Anderson is pleased about the prospect of it potentially returning.
“I'm excited about what the NBL1 could become in the future with a 'Champions League’ or a National Championship like the old ABA had back in the past,” Anderson said.
“I know our team we are pretty confident that we are the best State league team in the country the last few years but we would have loved to go and actually prove it on the court.”
Scott said Cairns Basketball is excited about the mooted reintroduction of an NBL1 National Championship in near future.
Tragardh is hopeful all winter basketball leagues fall under the NBL1 banner in the future."

Reply #741410 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

^^^ Thanks!

Reply #741440 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Can some create a ladder around the teams promoted into the league interested to see where they stand between themselves by the end of it all.

Eltham produce plenty of highlights for online contend, but the W/Ls don't look great.

Reply #741443 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Reasonably happy with the Tigers teams so far.

Both sides are pretty top heavy, and I can't see either in the mix to win the whole thing, but they'll win some games and be competitive.

Pozoglou is doing a great job for the men and has been consistently getting that 25-30 points. It seems when he gets help from anyone else the Tigers are a chance to win. For the women Conti and Tomlinson are obviously carrying the load, but Angeles has had some big games too and looks like she should be on a WNBL roster sooner rather than later.

Reply #741451 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

maybe if Conti and Tomlinson didnt take so many shots and they allowed more on their roster to shoot they may have a chance of winning a game or two. No team wins when only one or two take every shot. Turnovers are also hurting.

Reply #741456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Emmanuel Malou NBL?

Reply #741470 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"maybe if Conti and Tomlinson didnt take so many shots and they allowed more on their roster to shoot they may have a chance of winning a game or two. No team wins when only one or two take every shot. Turnovers are also hurting."

They simply don't have many other options. Its a very young team and they don't have a great deal of high end talent.

Reply #741474 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Emmanuel Malou NBL?

I can't see how this hasn't happened yet, I know he was pursing options overseas but this move to NBL1 (from a source) is a clear intent to make a NBL roster with the end goal a very realistic chance to get on an NBA roster.

The kid can play!

Reply #741478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston lose to Bendigo 88-73.
They seriously need to reconsider their future with Andrew Harms, guy can't coach.

Reply #741786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So a "shit" team losing to the Braves is a crisis?

Reply #741788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah tied up at 1/2 time is a problem. Franga have serious issues for sure and keep your agenda outta here MoFu.

Reply #741794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eltham have sacked their import Grandy Glaze. Anyone know what happened?

Reply #742763 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Article mentions he returned home for offers in Canada.

I smell that Eltham won't have a great season cheaper to pay a local guy accept it not your year rather than pour money into a team that is out of its depth.

Reply #742783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always going to be outta their depth. Never should have been allowed in.

Reply #742854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dan Trist to return to the Blues May 11 in their home clash against the Eltham Wildcats.

Reply #742879 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

With about a quarter of the inaugural NBL1 season completed, it's time to take stock on where each team is sitting in the race towards the playoffs and title. Here is Jordy Mc's assessment:

NBL1 Tiers: A look at each team’s early form

Reply #742886 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Bottom half dozen (or more) teams looking very ordinary.

Top couple of teams looking a cut above the rest.

Surely the changes to this competition have significantly undermined its quality?

Have BA/BV made winter basketball weaker? Is the sport being undermined by parochialism?

Surely basketball needs at least one strong winter competition?

Reply #742887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally think the quality of the league has been as good as SEABL, if not better. Quality on court and professionally run off court. Big tick from me.

Reply #742893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's pretty crap.
So many teams on the bottom with 1 win. (5). 3 teams with only 2 wins, and the only new team in the top 7 is Waverley at 7th.
Eltham playing out of a high school gym and being crap as well can't be an improvement. Sandy and DIV are still crap, Hobart with their kids have clearly gone backwards since the arrival of the Southern Huskies. Know returning have offered no opposition, Tigers without Pineau are stuffed. Ringwood I know nothing about. Bendigo have added one player and Geelong are Meh.

All in all the competition has never been so far removed in terms of the closeness that the SEABL had.
THanks for the above post from BV. #deluded

Reply #742935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it's total crap, talent so diluted. A few decent teams that’s it, money rubbish compared to nznbl as well.

Reply #742936 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

It's probably better for basketball in our region if the NZNBL grows stronger and can include a couple more Aussie teams. It gives the mid level and emerging NBL players the best chance to shine and improve, also good breeding ground for the lower priced imports that NBL teams fill their 3rd spot with. As the NZNBL gets better the top Aussie winter comps naturally drop a little, which is ok it just serves as the next tier down, even if they won't admit it is.

Reply #742939 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy, really?

Listen to what you are saying.

Reply #742944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain LK got involved in nbl1 to see it as an inferior comp to nznbl, but in its present state it certainly is. Nbl1 has to many teams and making totally Victorian based wasn't a good idea.

Reply #742945 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

With about a quarter of the inaugural NBL1 season completed, it's time to take stock on where each team is sitting in the race towards the playoffs and title. Here is Jordy Mc's assessment:

NBL1 Tiers: A look at each team's early form

thought this was a mens AND women's comp,

Reply #742946 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I'm talking in terms of helping the fringe NBL players and their development. Those players who have been good at SEABL level but played for peanuts and could make 10x more playing B grade local footy, if the NZNBL provides a full time option for a talented players in their early 20s it provides a pathway that hasn't been there. Let's be honest, the jump from SEABL to NBL was too large compared to other sports tier 1 and 2 both in talent and financially, NZNBL could be right in the middle of that gap.

Reply #742947 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

But Team Mate, if NBL1 were to develop to that standard then that would be ideal, I just don't see that happening and it ever overtaking NZNBL.

Reply #742948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, NZ NBL is easily better than NBL1

NZ NBL has players like Kay, Blanchfield, Kendle, Gliddon, Weeks, TeRangi, Moller, Pledger etc who would be better than most running around in the NBL1

Reply #742949 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

So Australia's way of having the best possible competition for our local players to to play in across the winter is....to send them to NZ!

Didn't see that coming.

Thank God we have the Kiwis to lead the way.

Reply #742951 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

What if the NZNBL has 3-4 Aussie teams like they're planning?

I'm not saying it's ideal, but unless there's a significant increase financially for the NBL1 teams, NZ is a pretty good extra step that hasn't really been there in the past. I do really hope NBL1 can rival NZNBL with its growth, just don't see it.

Reply #742956 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NZNBL is positioning themselves nicely to be the Winter league of choice to play in as the next level below the Oz NBL.

Reply #742961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, and Tassie had the foresight to start that all off.

Reply #742966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

surely Aussie NBL should look at New Zealand for the next expansion team, Wellington with 418 000 PEOPLE living there, Wellington Saints ?

Reply #742967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Wellington has tried to get into the NBL a number of times, I think they would be the logical next team

Their starting 5 for the NZ NBL is

Ili
Nagtai
TeRangi
Kay
Loe

With Dech and Henry coming off the bench

Which would be the best Aus/NZ line up along with the Southland Sharks outside of the NBL,

(obviously should they enter the NBL guys like Kay and Blanchfield types would have to be replaced by imports as they would go back to Perth and Illawarra)

So to me if they have the money and interest the Wellington Saints and Southland Sharks would be the next couple of teams I'd look at.

But i think the NBL pretty much wants to be just a big market big money league, so its unlikely to include these teams.

Probably more likely a few Aussie teams join the NZ NBL in the next few years.

Reply #742970 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

And BA/BV asleep at the wheel?

Are they just happy for increasing numbers of Aussie players / teams to boost the NZ league at the expense of their own (much hyped) NBL1 and state leagues?

Reply #742971 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

When have BA/BV ever controled the wheel?

Reply #742989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies add Dufelmeier to their squad. Just gave up a 10 point lead and let the Braves score 12-0.

Reply #743023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do we think of Damon Bozeman so far? Is he living up to expectations? Could he secure an NBL contract?

Reply #743039 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Having watched all but one of his games this season, Damon Bozeman has been solid, but is far from being on the radar for an NBL contract. Has yet to live up to expectations.

Reply #743051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston's Steph Reid has a ridiculous 31 points on 12-13 at halftime against Launceston.

Reply #743079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood fail.

Reply #743109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to see Liam Thomas Deng Acouth get a NBL contact 7footers Rebs blks shoots 3s PF C 11th man

Reply #743136 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A league record 50 points, 10 assists and 7 steals with just 1 turnovers by Steph Reid in blowout win vs Tornadoes. Wow.

Steph Reid's record 50 point haul powers Blues past Launceston

Also in the men, the Thunder's Beveridge hit a shot from the free throw line at the other end at the half-time buzzer!

Reply #743148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steph Reid can flat out play. Why did Tornadoes bring over a domestic side for the weekend. They were terrible.

Reply #743179 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Tornadoes didn't play any defence at all, hence why the 50points

Reply #743214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to reid...

Reply #743215 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Greg Jeffers came out swinging on Twitter after Eltham got a win since the import changes.

Ballarat are running a very silent 5-0 with no hype talk???

Reply #743219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Short at Ballarat is the most underrated player, should've been promoted to the senior list ahead of McDaniel. A smart club out there should get him on there list.

Reply #743220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballarat are far and away the best team in the league. Can't see anyone beating them.

Reply #743227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading for sure not living up to all the hype this season. Why are some many of the senior players spending so much time away on 3x3? Seems the once famous team first culture is no longer there - is this the beginning of some lean years to come?

Reply #743503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's called National Duties

Reply #743504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With McDonald more than ready to move on, was it time for Nuna to go for the three time seabl championship winning pg currently languishing in the SA state league?

Reply #743506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

National Duties ha ha , you got to be joking, try "me first" mentality instead! Yes long time ago the team should have retooled and brought younger players into playing many more minutes. Now they are paying the price as not enough game time have been invested in the younger players. Steel hardly has played a game so far nor has the starting PG and captain. Time to make Costa the leader of the team, if they want to keep the homegrown image, and let Macca enjoy the game by playing a lot less minutes. They even had to bring out O'hare, who had retired, to make up the numbers because the starting point guard is playing the show game 3x3. Priorities, Nuna always was team first.....

Reply #743508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mount Gambier pay him too well for even an NBL1 team to get him.

Reply #743509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee go play at the World Cup with the possibility of going to Japan or play at Burwood Hwy. it's not really a difficult choice.

Reply #743512 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Make or break for a few teams this week IMO, none moreso that for Frankston. They men have added last season's leading scorer Dan Trist this week, and the women return last year's MVP and leading scorer Shereesha Richards to bolster their very thin front court. They also have what could be deemed a favourable schedule through to June 1 with games against teams in the lower half of the table:

Eltham
Hobart
Knox
Ringwood
Diamond Valley

Shereesha Richards hoping to guide Blues to NBL playoffs

Reply #743513 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why is it that everyone seems to conclude that players at this level only play for money. I'm sure Tom Daly and other Pioneers players would love to play in the NBL 1 but they have jobs and families in Mount Gambier not to mention a loyalty to a club and community that has helped them have a great time and success. I think Tom is in his 8th season in MG. Its not always about the money. The money these guys make at this level is handy but not life changing.

Reply #743515 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The 3x3certainly has hampered a few teams in men and women. It's only a few games out and they will no doubt catch up those wins once the team is back together and hopefully it won’t be too late.
But it does raise the question should those who want to chase the 3x3 really be considered for thebNBL1 league in the future, as not only does it take away from their teams, it’s also added strain on bodies that then can lead to injuries, which again impacts on teams.

The lure of prize money and national recognition can be too much temptation for some players, should that be encouraged or should players who sign a seasonal contract to play a lead role in an NBL1 team be made to commit to the team before 3x3.

Reply #743516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couple of big games this weekend. Kilsyth v Ballarat in the men's on Saturday and then Geelong v Bendigo in the women's on Sunday.

Could be a clear favourite in both comps after this weekend.

I think Ballarat will be too good in the men's. Women's should be really close. Hobart took it right up to Bendigo last weekend. Geelong's bigs could be too much for Bendigo. Tipping Geelong in a tight one.

Reply #743518 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

NBL1 is clearly the best quality winter league in Aust. Melbourne is without doubt the heartland of basketball. The sport has excellent participation rates, especially in Victoria.

But where does this leave the other states/capital cities.

NBL1 currently includes numerous Vic Metro and regional teams, plus Tassie and the COE. I reckon too many Vic Metro teams - not all of them are up to that level of competition.

Perth and Adelaide are limited by their population. QLD has a pretty good competition and Sydney is perennially weak despite its big population.

So we have one clearly superior competition, one pretty reasonable one and three pretty average ones.

BA/BV appear to be set on state based leagues and NBL1 appears to be a closed shop for teams outside of Victoria that are not currently included (witness the experience of Mt Gambier).

This all just seems out balance and not all that good for the sport.

Does NBL1 lift it's vision beyond its current boundaries and begin to encourage teams from other regions, that can add to the quality of the competiton, into the league?

And build NBL1 into a stronger, cross boundaries competition that provides a stronger level of play and generates interest from a much broader population? Perhaps Larry could get behind it?

Reply #743550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 is the best League because every League is lower. Compared to SEABL it's a backward step. Everything else you wrote after "the best quality winter league in Aust" Is really meaningless.

"You said "Perth and Adelaide are limited by their population. QLD has a pretty good competition and Sydney is perennially weak despite its big population."
What does population have to do with anything?
Hoe can the Hobart Chargers win the SEABL Title last season with only 500.00+ people in the whole state? You arguments are totally flawed.
Qld has been a force in the past in the SEABL as has SA. WA are continuing to pr0vide a good competition and players to other better leagues.

Reply #743572 | Report this post

Huskiesfan  
Years ago

NO live Huskies game. :(

Reply #743573 | Report this post

Huskiesfan  
Years ago

Huskies defeat Rangers.

Reply #743583 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Nearly half way through the first season. A couple of months back there was some conjecture on how the Big V teams (Knox, Eltham, Ringwood & Waverley) would compete against the former SEABL teams.

Men
Knox: 3W 4L 13th Place
Eltham: 2W 7L 18th Place
Ringwood: 2W 6L 15th Place
Waverley: 5W 3L 5th Place

Combined Record : 12 Wins 20 Losses

Women
Knox: 5W 2L 6th Place
Eltham: 5W 4L 9th Place
Ringwood: 6W 2L 5th Place
Waverley: 2W 6L 13th Place

Combined: 18 Wins 14 Losses

What are peoples thoughts ?

Reply #744114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waverley has been impressive, best big v team that has moved up.

Reply #744122 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

"You said "Perth and Adelaide are limited by their population. QLD has a pretty good competition and Sydney is perennially weak despite its big population."
What does population have to do with anything?
Hoe can the Hobart Chargers win the SEABL Title last season with only 500.00+ people in the whole state? You arguments are totally flawed.
Qld has been a force in the past in the SEABL as has SA. WA are continuing to pr0vide a good competition and players to other better leagues.

Dumb response. Supporting one team is obviously sustainable for teams outside of Melbourne. It needs population to be sustainable when considering having numerous teams. Places like Hobart and Mt Gambier can recruit and support one team, but how would they go filling a second, or third or fourth. That's why population and organic growth matters for places like Brisbane, TAS, SA and smaller cities.

Reply #744125 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Spot on Greggo.

Reply #744128 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion, Eltham and Ringwood men have under-estimated what level was required and went in without making many upgrades to their roster.
Having said this, Sandy/DV/Hobart have also been poor.

I wonder if we will see any teams drop out next season?

Reply #744130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No teams will dropping out. All had to sign a three year commitment

Reply #744132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 more teams from Big V to be promoted. I don't know who though

Reply #744133 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Two more teams promoted:

Would almost have to be McKinnon and Casey.

Both have been pumping money into stacked rosters for the past 5 years. Both on top of the table currently. Solid engaged committees and juniors.

Would think teams like Keilor and Chelsea would be next in line for the same reasons.

Reply #744134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chelsea ???????? They rely on a 34 yo import to be competitive in a weakened scm!

Reply #744139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#4132 incorrect. A number of clubs were given a 1 year license including, Frankston, Sandringham, Eltham, Melbourne. These clubs were required to lift their standard of competition to remain in the comp beyond year 1.

You will find there will be less appetite to promote any new Clubs into NBL1 in the first 2 seasons to let the league settle and become stronger.

McKinnon women are terrible, Casey only if another Eastern Corridor club is removed, Keilor & Chelsea far from ready.

AND NO to Mt Gambier. Stay in SA.

Reply #744140 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

With regards to Chelsea, I was more talking about the strength of the club, and the appetite for them to go up.

"Chelsea ???????? They rely on a 34 yo import to be competitive in a weakened scm!"

And they couldn't change imports/ naturalise imports/ add other imports/ player???

Reply #744144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern penn coming in?

Reply #744147 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Hume City will be in the running to join if NBL1 taking clubs
- Women currently 3rd at 6wins-2loss, and perennial contenders
- Men currently equal 3rd at 7wins-4loss
- Northwest corridor where basketball is expanding and needs a representative
- Facilities aren't worldclass but equal or better than a lot of teams already in

Reply #744155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have the other states all agreed to switch over to nbl1 yet?

Reply #744156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 on track to become the premier feeder comp. for the NZNBL.

Another win for BV.

Reply #744172 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

I think adding McKinnon too is over crowding, considering there proximity to Sandringham, Waverley & even Dandy. Not sure on their venue either ?

Casey has the juniors and Venue, and is in the middle of the growth corridor, so best chance to be included over that side of town. Although same issue with McKinnon above, as mentioned.

Werribee in the West ? Great venue, solid juniors, just need more investment in the seniors to be competitive.

If the competition goes to 20, will they set up a Conference system ?

Reply #744173 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nice article on Alex Ducas.

Alex Ducas is more than just a shooter

Reply #744175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man O Man. How bad are the Bandits. At half time it was 58 - 29. They came back but that is shithouse. Time for Deba to retire.

Reply #744399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough day of travel for the bandits. Came out flat. Much better team than they showed last night.

Reply #744410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies favourite with the bookies tonight.

Reply #744420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bandits cough up another one. Deba 40 mins, 12 points. Thanks for your service. Time to retire.

Reply #744467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why you keep hating on Deba. One of the nicest guys in the league and still has a fair bit to offer. Not required to be the main scorer anymore.

Reply #744577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John - Yes I believe they will have 2x 10 team conferences next year

Reply #744617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big win for the Bandits last night over Kilsyth without the league's leading scorer. Deba George with 37 points. Good thing he didn’t retire.

Reply #745204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great win by the Huskies in 2 x O/T over the very talented Frankston. One of the best games I have seen in years. There were 2 3pointers made literally on the buzzer to keep the Blues in the game. The first at the end of regulation and the 2nd one at the end of the 1st OT. These shots were simply amazing and I encourage everyone to go and have a look. The Huskies hung in their to get the best win for the new club.

Reply #745216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deaba " Not required to be the main scorer anymore." Maybe he read here.
Deba is a lovely guy undoubtedly but over the last few seasons he is becoming a more hit or miss player. Albury love him and that's all that matters.

Reply #745217 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Was the best ganme I have called that I can remember that 2OT game between Frankston and Hobart.

Some seriously good shot making by both teams. Hadziomerovic hit a three at the end of regulation and again at the end of OT1 to force extra time.

Bozeman was on fire, Dufelmeier has ice in his veins. Jalen Adams was brilliant.

Reply #745218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bozeman's Ejection probably cost them the game. Dufelmeier has made the difference. BJ returning has helped. Great effort. Tired from last night I guess was why they lost today.

Reply #745251 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Amazing that the Blues got up against the Hawks today. This time Bozeman was the hero.

Reply #745257 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

what the heck is going on with Southern Sabres???
Don't look to have any imports, only suit up 8 players.
Kingsley Box one of there best players, and not knocking him at all as he is doing really well in the opportunity he has, but he wasn't able to make either of the 2 x teams in the recent U20 Vic Metro...

Reply #745302 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

what the heck is going on with Southern Sabres???
Don't look to have any imports, only suit up 8 players.
Kingsley Box one of there best players, and not knocking him at all as he is doing really well in the opportunity he has, but he wasn't able to make either of the 2 x teams in the recent U20 Vic Metro...

Reply #745303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No money, getting sued is a rumour by former supporter.

Reply #745306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. I heard the Huskies picked up Jalen Adams who was a potential Sabres signing.

Reply #745307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injuries are killing the Sabres at the moment with McDaniel, Barlow and other key players out. Definitely going to be a tough year for them.

Reply #745320 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

If they have McDaniel and Barlow then the no money is a bit of a cop out.
Both of these players would be highly sought after in the NBL1 and therefore I would think their price tag would also be on the higher end, relative to NBL1 salaries.

Having been around a while, there has always been a question on whether to go with NBL guys or imports.

NBL guys can be very good and win games when they are available, but also they have priorities and will always do the best thing based on their upcoming NBL season and rightly so. ie a minor injury or needing a rest will take precedence and the NBL1 club will be without them for weeks.

Imports also are looking to 'climb the ladder' but need to show a strong performance to go into better leagues so will likely push thru injuries or make the NBL1 their priority.

Interesting to see which way clubs have gone.

In this example, missing Barlow and McDaniel at the same time basically makes it near on impossible for Sabres to get a win.

Reply #745327 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

How can the Hobart Huskies be spending so much money on their women's team and be performing so poorly?

Reply #745473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unsure. The coach got the team he wanted and I think since then they have won 1 game from their last 5?

Reply #745487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You take Conn and Shane McDonald out of Nunawading for a six game stretch and they aren't winning any of those games. get a grip.

Reply #745491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston beat Ballarat 87-70 without Dan Trist.
Good sign for the club. Damon Bozeman had 23 at the half and finished with 27.

Reply #746040 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Good wins by both Tigers teams against Albury Wodonga yesterday.

The Tigers men were without Pineau and got destroyed inside by the Bandits' big import (a 30-20 game) but were able to keep everyone else quiet.

The Tigers only ran 8 players but all of them scored 6 or more and Pozoglou had 34 so it was enough. What impressed me about Pozoglou was that when he was struggling early he did some little things, got on the offensive glass for some easy put backs. Then eventually he got going in the 3rd quarter and basically took the game away from the Bandits.

Was great to see LJ Vs Harrower coaching in the women's match. The Albury Wodonga women's team wasn't great - their import was the only one really doing anything (she was REALLY good though). Lou Tomlinson did a great job picking them apart with passing from the post.

Reply #746132 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Albury women had no Nat Hurst, yet she played the night before, they have little else after hurst really . Watching Jackson "coach" yesterday , she just sits doing nothing,, no animation looked totally disinterested, not great signs that's for sure

Reply #746208 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

That would explain why they had a girl who looked about 13 playing big minutes.

Reply #746215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey Ardern is 17 and I wouldn't exactly call 19 "big minutes".

Reply #746313 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I didn't say she was 13 I said she looked 13.

She started and played half the game as one of only 7 players in the rotation. She gave a good effort, but they were clearly lacking a starting calibre PG

Reply #746316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Ballarat and Nunuwading looking good.

Kilsyth with plenty of talent, but..

Few other teams going pretty well.

Would anyone really bet against either of the top two, to be in the gf?

Reply #746863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's is a two horse race with Bendigo and Geelong. Knox a bit of a sneaky chance to knock one of these two off but unlikely.

Give Ballarat the trophy now in the men's.

Reply #746924 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ballarat lost their last game? So you are prepared to give them the trophy now?

Reply #746925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, clearly the best team in the comp.

Reply #746931 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Righto...

Reply #746934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best team doesn't always win the championship. Still gotta win three playoff matches.

Reply #746936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read the thread on Deng Acouth and decided to bump this thread and provide a couple thoughts about the standard of NBL1 in comparison to NBL...

Simon Conn at 36 years of age gets 21p 10r at 57%. He is 7th in scoring and 4th in rebounding. He works a full-time job and will not play NBL in the future. Please use that as something of a benchmark before you talk up guys with fancy NBL1 numbers. If you train full-time and can't match a guy like Conn, how can you match guys in the NBL?

Example: On Sunday, Dane Pineau had 22p 15r and was fantastic. Conn had 22p 14r and the Spectres won. Pineau played about 7 minutes a game in NBL and was let go by the Kings. The NBL is a tough tough league. Here is your comparison between NBL and NBL1.

Only the very very best in NBL1 can contribute much in NBL.

Reply #747816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As of right now, top 8 to make finals goes Ballarat, Nunawading, Geelong, Kilsyth, Melbourne , Frankston, Waverley , Dandenong ... who drops out ? Who stays in? Any dark horse ?

Reply #747852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Frankston a legitimate contender if Majok and Trist can gel. They are stacked with talent in their backcourt, who can get going in a hurry. There remaining schedule is rather favorable, apart from an away game at Kilsyth. Wouldn't rule top 4 out of the realm of possibility for the Blues.

Reply #747861 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

I like this kid, been a centre piece to Ballarat's good season so far in NBL1

Changes shots - and blocks shots, starts the break for them.
I think he was underrated going into this NBL1 season

Reply #747898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last night on the NBL1 show Dan Trist labelled Damon Bozeman as the next Jeremy Kendle and a guy who is good enough to play in the NBL. I know Bozeman can play, but is he good enough to play in the NBL?

Reply #749080 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

why is it that their 'game of the week'that they have as videoed game of the week is never the same as their 'game of the week'preview/review, and who writes the wraps, whoever they are obviously dont watch the games just go by stats, which as one person commentating on a game this weekend made a very valid point about,when a game is over and done by the 3rd and the players who contributed to that are now resting on the bench, those that come on are basically playing junk time, yet they can end up scoring more simply because what they are playing against is not the oppositions strongest. And their highlights depend purely on those commentating to change their voice pattern so the computer generates the highlight, half the time they are too busy talking crap about something else and miss so many really good plays that never make the highlight reels lol.

Reply #749084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a solid 5-8 imports in the NBL1 that have and could play as the 3rd import on a NBL roster.

Reply #749095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you please name the imports that could make nbl roster. Turner had a run last season and was out off his depth where as in nbl1 he scores at will. He was a foul machine in nbl.

Reply #749096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner was in a less then ideal situation with Sydney, as he joined the roster very late and his style didn't suit the team. I think in the right situation, Turner can be an effective import in the NBL.

Reply #749290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loving the Indigenous Round jerseys that have been released so far. Only seen Albury/Wodonga and Kilsyth so far but they look great. Loving the themed rounds this year.

Reply #750016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Finals are all set. Predictions?

The favourites for me - Ballarat for the men, Bendigo for the women. Too much talent.

Reply #751497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be 1 import spot available in the nbl for import nbl1 players (once Australia wide)
Would help the depth of the league.

Reply #751498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Frankston is a team capable of beating Ballarat.

Reply #751817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne as a dark horse as well, especially if Jack Purchase has a solid finals.

Reply #751818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston could surprise, got keep it team orientated though and play as a team. Ballarat are slight favourites.

Reply #751819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever spent the most $$$$$
Frankston????

Reply #751822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No new teams to join nbl1 for the next season. Nbl1 released statement today and informed all clubs.

Reply #753636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good sign they are all still in. Hopefully a couple more teams the season after.
I wonder if they will bring out another conference next season.

Reply #753637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#3636 I think you will find your statement is sort of incorrect. No new Melbourne based teams. I believe COE is off to Warratah and Mt Gambier is in to balance even out the teams.

Reply #753668 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Frankston are one of only a couple of teams to have beaten Ballarat this season.

They took down Nunawading in the qualifying final in front of a sellout home crowd.

Interestingly, they have sold out their preliminary final already too despite the opponent not being known yet!

Reply #753698 | Report this post

Pud93  
Years ago

Frankston would wanna win it with the money they have spent.

Reply #753703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#668, where are you getting this from? Impacts on plenty of folks if true.

Reply #753881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are finals on? First I knew of it. SEABL was all over that shit. NBL1 nothing.

Reply #753904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen more promo of NBL1 than I ever did from SEABL.

Reply #753907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The crowds have almost doubled over seabl, clearly a great result.

Reply #753908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston spent must have spent the refurbishment funds to put that team on court.

Reply #753966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely haven't spent the $$$ on the stadium. That men’s team must have cost a packet. They should win with that team.

Reply #753975 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ballarat vs Nunawading next week. Tough road trip for the Spectres.

Reply #753999 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bendigo will head to Frankston for the other prelim. Massive game by Turner the Braves.

Should be a cracker!

Reply #754077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kilsyth fail again, injuries hurt them late but never really got going, need a few team first players and rebounders.

Reply #754081 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Nunawading women have had a huge weekend, literally wiped the floor with both Waverley and Ringwood, the Specters, the team the NBL1 reporters seem to never mention, no matter how well they play, their regular starters of Antoniadou, Garrick, Sheers and Pizzey make a formidable quartet
Shooting at an unbelievable click and pushing the ball at every opportunity.
The favourites Bendigo , knocked off by Kilsyth another team that hadn't existed for the most part of the season for the NBL1 panel , that win now sees, Bendigo and Geelong face off in the prelim , the two favourites all season , but now one will not be making finals , and Nunawading and Kilsyth will be hard to pick, both one a piece for ( away) wins against each other , so anyone’s game

Going to be an interesting finish for the women that’s for sure.

Reply #754094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garrick should be in the opals over Madgen easy.

Reply #754095 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agreed re Garrick far better than Madgen , Tupaea, and I fact most of the others in that 2/3 spot

Reply #754128 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754