Anonymous
Years ago

Sources: Sobey leaning towards Brisbane

In an article posted on NBL website today, the author wrote that sobey is leaning towards signing with Brisbane.

Big signing if true!

Topic #45010 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Risky as Brissy would be paying. As an Adelaide fan, considering what sort of money he would most likely be looking at now, could be problems. Erratic type highlight players don't always mean wins.

Reply #739463 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Are Brisbane determined to play an all Aussie team or our other recruits on the way out? Where are the imports going to fit in this side? Saying they stay similar to last season, starting 5 would be.

PG - Cadee
SG - Sobey
SF - Gliddon
PF - Bairstow
C - Hodgson

Bench of scrub imports? Dumped Holt, recruited Kendle, but didn't use him enough, AJ Davis didn't work. Ideally they would want this, but doubt they will.

PG - Import (Cadee bench)
SG - Sobey (import SG/SF off the bench)
SF - Gliddon
PF - Bairstow
C - Import (Hodgson bench)

Reply #739466 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, just what Brissy need, another guard

Reply #739473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo gone!?

Reply #739475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo wont be back

Reply #739476 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Nice move, would give the Bullets a guy who can spell Cadee for 8-10 mins a game.

Reply #739477 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great news for Brisbane if this goes ahead.
Getting a star import point guard is a must.
Leaves a couple of questions,
Will Patterson be back?
Do they go with 2 imports to open the season?

Reply #739478 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The Bullets' top priority (their words) is re-signing Lamar Patterson, given their import success rate, they'll likely sign David Wear as his replacement.

Let's say however for argument's sake that Patterson returns, the team starts to look very very good.

Sobey/Cadee (yes the temptation is to flip it around).
Gliddon/Kendle
Patterson/Te Rangi
Bairstow/Vukona
Hodgson/ Import 4/5

I assume Kendle and Te Rangi would be keen to re-sign, and Vukona makes a full recovery (I don't really want to see Lemanis cry over getting swept and using Vukona's soft tissue as the reason).

For God's sake don't go with 2 imports, we know the folly that comes with 'sticking with what we have'.

The disappearence of Cadee was the big difference between Brissie making some noise in the playoffs and getting swept.

They should have won at least their home game. Sobey and Gliddon would be a very potent back court and quite tough to guard. A full year of Patterson would see him get MVP type numbers. Bairstow to remain solid and Hodgson has improved under Lemanis.

Reply #739479 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Interesting

Reply #739480 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Sobey's an extremely good player, I'd be "happy to have him" at Perth, but he wouldn't be a good fit, and nor do I think he fits at Brisbane.

Unlesss you;re talking about a 3-man rotation of Spuddee, Gliddon, and Sobey, in which Spuddee's job is mopping the floor, and even then. Sobey is going to be at his most devastating playing the 2 spot

Reply #739484 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

36ers showed that Sobey at PG just doesn't work, Bullets showed that starting Cadee at PG does not work. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Reply #739485 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

For God's sake don't go with 2 imports, we know the folly that comes with 'sticking with what we have'.

Reply #739486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above, nice one.

Reply #739489 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Buzzas prophecy 2020

Reply #739490 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, not quite the same though. Wildcats weren't running with Cadee at PG.

Reply #739495 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

36ers showed that Sobey at PG just doesn't work

Yes it didn't work this year the Sixers have had success (last season) without a dedicated PG, the backcourt was Sobey and Shannon Shorter with Moore off the bench as 6th Man of the year.

Reply #739497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Shannon Shorter was quite good, lost the plot towards season end but that seems to be Adelaides way.

Reply #739505 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Shorter was underrated. Took some bad shots, but I think the Sixers missed him overall this past season.

Reply #739509 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I think it may come down to how the plan to play sobey I won't be surprised if it's not at pg... because of... well obvious reasons

Something like

Import pg/cadee
Sobey/Gliddon
Import or Patterson/Te Rangi
Bairstow/Vukona
Import/hodgson

Kendle as surplus?

That would be more how I would look at it if it was me, which it isn't. If that was how it looked on paper. It's a fairly solid team. Potentially gonna be jervis/Hodgson at the 5 depending on what's going on with Jervis and wanting to be near his family more. Maybe they come to Perth? I don't know.

If Jervis goes to bris. They could get away with 2 imports and decide mid season. Although getting the bench under the cap would be interesting as ****

Reply #739515 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gliddon off the bench is a luxury I don't think the Bullets can afford. I think you can do Sobey/Gliddon on the wing with an import 1 and 4/5, then with Bairstow and Hodgson plugging the other inside spot, and be a comfortable top 4 side, but I’m convinced Cadee has been promised a starting role, similar to what happened with Blanchfield in Sydney.

Reply #739519 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Yeah I'd agree with that.
And maybe that's the reason that bris are so after sobey (assuming Santa's source has good info) because they are not getting Patterson back.

That does give them other options to work on getting bench cap, while still having a pretty formidable top 6-7.

I could see Gliddon off the bench working personally. But I do agree that it's a luxury that bris can't afford.

My thoughts above where more about how to place sobey at the 2. When so many before had assumed he was coming to run the ball. Which I doubt he has much interest in if he is deciding to leave. If he leaves. It will be so he can play where he plays best

Reply #739521 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If the Sixers have lost Sobey, then they'd better stop mucking around with stadium moves and sign Shawn Long or something! Right now the team balance is awful because they've already committed to Wiley and Moore, when they need two spots available for an import point guard and an import 3. As much as I like Wiley, he's not a good enough rebounder or defender to play next to DJ. Need to make some good moves, because they need to fill the Entertainment Centre if they're going to make it work and that's not going to happen if we have another unbalanced, inconsistent team that capitulates down the stretch all the time!

Reply #739522 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, they're not going to bench Hodgson IMO.

Reply #739524 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I'd agree. But still think a Hodgson/Jervis combo could work

Anyways. I was just throwing my opinion in, when many before had commented on sobey at the 1. Which is not how I viewed this move.

The rest of my thoughts were basically just scrolling through the potential list. There is likely to be many flaws easy to find from that.

Reply #739526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was a story that Jervis was moving to Melbourne with his family

Reply #739527 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

All these moves are in vain if Cadee starts.

Reply #739528 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Beantown you are spot on.

If we are going to a bigger stadium we are going to need at least one draw card to go fill it.

I'm sure the break even point for the new stadium would be high too so we could lose money if we maintain the same crowd size.

You are right again with Wiley and Moore being committed to, more so Wiley than Moore, Moore was contracted after being 6th Man of the year so it was a good investment at the time.

With Sobey gone we REALLY need a top flight PG or at least a capable Combo, with Wiley there we lose a good big if we go PG and have a HUGE hole in the back court if we chase Shawn Long.

I think the guard situation is more dire though and needs more urgent attention. Right now the guards are Drmic, Teys, Doyle and Moore, we are in trouble.

DJ can step into the 5, we have Froling who 'should' improve.

Reply #739529 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Sixers have a team option on Ramone Moore for next season which needs to be exercised by Friday.

If Sobey isn't coming back and all indications are he's gone it might be in the team's best interest to let Moore go with Wiley already re-signed to free up two import spots because sure as shit if Sobey goes we're going to need all the help we can get next season.

Reply #739530 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Jazze Jervis landed an apparently very good role with Suncorp (as Legal Counsel) after having a couple of different roles after following Tommy to Bris.
It's not unreasonable at this point in their lives that they start looking towards her career, as his current one is winding up. I'd imagine Perth will always be "home" but who knows where a such a career an take you. There's a lot of big corporations with their head office in Melbourne.

Be interesting to see what he does in the off season. Maybe he lines up for the Spartans

Reply #739531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard from a reliable source that the club is releasing DJ from his contract and he will sign with Perth. Why don't people wait for this Sobey rumour to be formally announced before all this conjecture, otherwise we can make up DJ rumours as well.

Reply #739532 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

DJ wants to go to the lakers

But Adel want 4 first round picks aswell as the young core

Reply #739533 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Didn't he allegedly sign a heads of agreement document haha.

Reply #739541 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Interesting news about Moore there Zodiac. As much as I like him, I think signing Wiley means we have to cut Moore. Sixers need two import slots for a point guard and either a big man or a do it all three like Childress.

Lovebroker, I agree that we need a point guard as priority #1. I'd love to see an elite defensive/ rebounding big next to DJ though. Given our current situation though, I think we’re going to have to rely on Froling to step up in that role and Drmic to step up as our starting 3. Would prefer to see Wiley injected as an energy guy off the bench.

Reply #739558 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Although getting the bench under the cap would be interesting as ****"

Not sure that will be a problem for any team this season. AFAIK the changes for next season's salary cap should be:
- The cap for lowest paid 5 players will be 40% of the salary floor.
- The salary floor will be 90% of the soft cap.
- The soft cap will be the average team spend for the season just gone (just under $1.7million).

So floor of ~$1.5million and cap on lowest 5 paid players of $600,000. i.e., average salary of $120,000 per player in that lowest paid five. Average salary for a non restricted player for the season just gone was ~$122,000.

So teams should be able to pay some of those end of the bench guys a shedload more than last season and still get under that cap. The question is whether the advent of a new team will drive locals' asking salaries up substantially or not, creating a bidding war for some of the better locals and limiting the money left to fill out the 9th-11th spots.

Reply #739560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great post Peter John. Can I ask what the source is for recent salary numbers and cap that you quoted?

Reply #739573 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

The salary numbers are from a Fox Sports article (Olgun Uluc) published in October 2018,which was talking about the 'Next Stars' program.

Here's the relevant quote:

"The average NBL salary is now $AUD152,000, a league spokesperson told foxsports.com.au; with an average of $AUD122,000 for local players. "

I allowed for 11 players per roster to get the average team salary.

For the various percentages and rules around the cap relationships, I relied on the NBL announcement of salary cap changes for the 2016/17 season, back in March 2016. Here are the relevant bits:

"- Rosters increased to 11 contracted players.
- Salary cap in future years determined by averaging all teams' salary
- Aggregate salaries of at least 5 players on each team must not exceed $400,000 in 2016/17.
- Salary Floor implemented - Clubs must spend at least 90% of the Salary Cap."

According to a post on this forum, earlier this season, the $400,000 has been continued as 40% of the salary floor in subsequent seasons to 2016/17.

It's possible that further changes affect some of those rule changes in 2016 but I've heard nothing to that effect. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get a hold of the current NBL rules around salary cap arrangements, to confirm the above are still correct.

Reply #739585 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

No way Cairns are paying that!!
Kings & Perth only could afford that!
United could but are smart with their coin.

Reply #739596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you PJ. I think you'll find that the last agreement was for three years (2016-2019) so there could be some updates this year?

Wouldn't expect anything too drastic though.

Reply #739602 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Subscriber story on Adelaide Now about Froling and Deng perhaps not being available?

Reply #739656 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Just read the article...very interesting.

Also says Jerome Randle is eye-ing a return to Adelaide, but the club is not so keen.

Reply #739660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losing a few players might refresh Adelaide team, Joey seems like the type coach that the message might get to repetitive.

Reply #739661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats the deal with 3part or end of playing career ends, Example if 36ers cant afford Randle now can you promise him a job after his playing career as a trainer, coach or a job in the office sitting behind a desk

Reply #739662 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Sixers don't want Randle.

Reply #739663 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I would imagine that such deals might be viewed as fiddling with the cap/tax system, but in reality, this being the NBL, you could probably get away with it.
But its not going to work for many players. Really only applicable for somebody thats put down roots and is going to stick around, and wouldn't be looking to play an extra couple of years in same bush league somewhere.

But then, when guys get to that point in their careers, they are usually n much reduced coin.

Doesn't really work for most imports. Generally once age starts to catch them, NBL teams won't use an import slot on them, so they'll go and play somewhere in Asia for a couple of years.

Reply #739665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, promise job in the office.

Reply #739667 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Froling is declaring for the draft (look out Zion and RJ).

No details were given on what Deng is doing.

Reply #739670 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, Randle is yesterday's news. He's not the player the Sixers need. More of a Sydney level player at this stage of his career ;-)

Reply #739671 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Lovebroker...Deng is being courted by other teams in FA apparently - I've heard Cairns are interested?!

Reply #739688 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So are United.

Reply #739708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If deng goes to United his D will need to improve significantly to get much time. He lights the score card up at times but overrated imo.

Reply #739710 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754