Manu Fieldel
Years ago

Taipans roster make-up

If the NBL gave us four import spots that'd be dandy, but considering there are three, a spanner is firmly in the works. I don't want Jawai starting; reckon he's a great impact player.

Ideally what I want is:

Import PG
Newbill
Import SF
Deng
Import C

Where are the decent Aus wing or PG candidates? Where is William McDowell-White at in his career? Could he considered good enough for a Cairns starting spot?

Topic #45083 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They do give 4 import spots.

Reply #740652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go through the free agency list and pick one you like, if you believe Aussie hoopla there chasing Moller, sort makes sense as Kelly would no him.

Reply #740656 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cairns unfortunately I feel shot themselves in the foot with their recruiting last season.
They should have known that Loughton was near the end, so signing more oldies was a questionable move.
They're now stuck trying to fill even more places, in a very tight market. And unfortunately SEM seem to be focussing on a lot of existing talent.

Cairns really must work on a Next Star prospect. If they can get a half decent young buck, paid for by the league, that's going to be a good bonus for them.

Assuming they can get hold of some of this equalisation cash, I'd love to see them make an offer for Bairstow. Even if it means going cheap elsewhere, try to lock in one good quality local marquee player.

Reply #740660 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Deng is a good pick up don't think I would want him starting.
Cairns need either Bairstow or help from the NBL to ensure they get a high level next star or both.

Reply #740662 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Unfortunately the roster would more likely look like:

PG - Import*/Kenny/Adnam?
SG - Newbill*/Kuanny
SF - Import*/Jurlina
PF - Moller?/Deng
C - Jawai/Young?/Froling?

Could Froling come under the Next Stars program? Or is it specifically for Americans?

Reply #740668 | Report this post

Sam Froling would be an exciting pickup for the snakes.

Reply #740669 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Cairns unfortunately I feel shot themselves in the foot with their recruiting last season.
They should have known that Loughton was near the end, so signing more oldies was a questionable move.

Kelly was only appointed coach as free agency began so he was behind the eight ball from the start in regards to recruitment last season. The signings that were made were the best available at the time and I doubt it was a deliberate strategy to recruit "oldies". There wasn't much else available. Any promising young players had already been snapped up or were well advanced in discussions with other clubs.

Already we are seeing a different approach this season with Walker's option not being taken up by the club and Deng being signed plus it seems they are not prepared to pay Jawai the same money (which was a lot) that he was on for the last 3 seasons.

Reply #740686 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cairns did a good job of trying to use Nate last season. He was in better shape but the modern game looks to have passed him by. Big presence in the post but somewhat ineffective. More fouls than rebounds in his current stint in France not playing a lot probably because he cant defend. Wish it was different for him.

Reply #740694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe its time to let Jawai go and use that money to sign players. like Deng DEng Majok Majok Moller and Dillon

Reply #740704 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Moller isn't going to Cairns.

Reply #740706 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Manu, how comfortable would you really be having Deng as your starting four man? I think he's a very good impact player coming off the bench, but if he's playing extended minutes up front I think he'd get outplayed against the league's better big men.

Spartans QBL coach has said WMW is joining them in-season, looking at the draw you won't get to see him up there though.

I'd be interested to know what his plans are. Only played 7 games in Germany's B Grade for averages of 10/4/5/2 (20% 3pt btw). 5 games in top grade, minimal playing time. Wonder if he'll go through the Combine workouts then pull out again. Seems like the NBA dream is dust for now, a shame as he was a projected second round pick a few years ago.

Reply #740708 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Moller isn't going to Cairns where do you think he will go Anon?

Reply #740711 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ben, not a huge fan but not averse either. I just see that the club dug itself a hole last year signing either poor talent or old players and need to fill a bunch of spots in a market with little Aussie talent. Short of Bairstow, I can't see anyone being better than Deng. Hope I'm wrong and there is someone over in Europe.

Also, what's the latest of WMW. Is he up to it?

Reply #740714 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If the NBL gave us

Us? Who is us? You go for Brisbane Bullets.

Reply #740715 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Us is everyone bar 36ers and Perth

Reply #740726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are in negotiations with Moller but so are two other clubs.

Reply #740730 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Happy to win the services of Sam Froling. Young Australian talent, gee haven't seen that in a while

Reply #740756 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Sounds like Moller is going to get overpaid by someone.

Reply #740866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^
Or get paid what he's entitled to.

Reply #740868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not 100% sold on Moller as anything other than a role player (6-8th man on a decent roster).

He has certainly shown signs of offering more though, so Cairns would be a great opportunity to prove himself.

Reply #740871 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Moller is not that good. He is like a box of chips that fills you up but when you're finished you’re like yean that was alright I suppose.

Reply #740873 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I fear that a team like Cairns who is in desperate need of production overpays for Moller, only to get burnt.

Cool dude and all, but where does his value lie? Played about 11 minutes a game during the season for 4pts and 3rebs, barely any blocks/dimes/assists. Shooting clips a little below average and United clipped his playing time in the finals (telling sign).

Maybe best for 5 minutes or so a half getting a few hustle plays. I don't see any magical improvement if he’s gifted increased playing time.

Not hating on the dude, I’m just going on what’s before me and I think a few people need to temper their fandom.

Reply #740878 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Moller is not great nor is he terrible.

I don't rate him but he can contest shots, get up and down the court and hustle.

Cairns isn't where you go to get paid, you are there for minutes.

If their imports are going to be a mix of Jerry Evans Jnr, Devon Hall and Nanna Egwu, he should get 20 mpg.

Reply #740885 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cairns has a brilliant import in Trimble, A decent one in Newbil, and an ok one (for Cairns) and they still sucked.

I don't know if they are getting equalisation money, or how much they are getting, but the simple reality is that either they have to do something, or accept being perpetual spooners.

I'm all for taking a gamble and looking for diamonds in the rough, but you don't do that by hiring passed-over scrubs and expecting them to be starters.

People keep talking about "lack of minutes" but I think you have cause & effect backwards. Sure, not everyone can play 30 minute, but generally speaking if you play better, you get more minutes. These aren't juniors lacking games. Guys like Moller don't suddenly become starting material because you through them into the line-up. If anything, the reverse is true.

Cairns must somehow find the coin to hire decent locals. Failing that (and obviously there aren't that many available) they need to look at guys coming back from college, or try to find guys who are finishing careers in Europe.

Reply #740889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns pay decent coin to imports since Kelly been there, one or two others and the rest get unders. You need better depth than that especially when Hall was one your imports, Trimble was fantastic offensively and by season end even reasonable on defence but you got win games before the end season.
Re Moller, his previous season when Prather went down was very good, started a few games, minutes were short before Prather got hurt and when he came back. This past season he got spasmodic minutes behind McCarron, Kennedy in the three and f... all time at the four behind Barlow and Kennedy. Melbourne would like to keep him but have allowed him to look around due to lack minutes and McCarron being there. He plays great defence and certainly at seabl level no slouch on offence.
If Cairns are in the picture it's understandable, certainly with Deng now signed as his defence is suspect.

Reply #740891 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754