Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Round 7 Preview and Power Rankings

Some big results so I thought I'd get into the rankings early this week.

1. Forestville (6-0)
Only remaining undefeated team. Results have been getting closer as teams have tried slowing them down and have kept them to their lowest scores in the past fortnight. Still the toughest starting 5 in the comp.

2. North Adelaide (4-2)
Cream rising to the top. May have needed OT but Mavs are a talented side capable of beating good teams. Imports and McVeigh putting up huge numbers. McVeigh making a run at 6th man of the year?

3. Mount Gambier (3-2)
Bounced back nicely by handing South an embarrassing loss. 121 points with an even spread amongst the big guns proving they're hard to beat when they get going.

4. Norwood (6-1)
Shock loss to a previously underwhelming team. May have shown some chinks in the armour but may be the kick in the butt they need. Huge game this week.

5. Southern (3-2)
Solid win with some absences, notably Drmic. Not sure how long he's expected out for but will make things tough if it's more than another week or so. Will need wins against better teams to move up.

6. Eastern (2-4)
Hung tough with the pre season title favourites. Battle of the best import duos in the league was pretty even but North with too much local depth.

7. Woodville (2-4)
Couldn't sneak them higher after the recent loss to Eastern but no doubt will be pleased they finally showed they can compete. Clippinger only 9 mins might be looking over his back but had plenty of contributors on Saturday.

8. Centrals (3-3)
No shame in losing to the Tigers, but would have fancied themselves in their current form and at home.

9. West (3-3)
On a skid after a strong start to the season. Kubank showing his worth this week but Forestville too strong. Will be back on track soon.

11. Sturt (0-6)
11a. South (0-5)
Only two on the bottom rung now but still not willing to place either 10th. South horribly embarrassed on the weekend and struggling to put even a half of good basketball together. Some questions will have to be asked - either the staff or personnel is wrong, so one will need to be changed by mid season you'd think. Sturt had a bye, so I guess that's close to a win for them?

Round 7
Mt Gambier vs North
Huge game down at the ice house. North took the W in round 1, but Mt Gambier seem in better form now after appearing rusty with 66 points game 1. Norths size will trouble them but Mt Gambier have superior guard play. Pioneers to win, but not cover the margin.

Pioneers by 6.

Eastern vs Southern
Morris is proving to be a handful, putting up league leading numbers on the offensive end. He will be trouble as Southern are undersized but the battle with he and Turnage will be fun. I am assuming Drmic will play as I am unsure why he missed last week.

Southern by 7.

Woodville vs Sturt
Sturt will be licking their lips at the possibility of a win here. Warriors bigs had a field day last week and will do the same against Sturts underwhelming bigs. Sturt have an advantage in guard play but it won't be enough because coaching matters.

Warriors by 9.

Centrals vs South
Lions had a two game win streak snapped but have been playing some good basketball of late. South... have not. The Panthers would need to shoot the hell out of it to stand a chance.

Lions by 12.

Norwood vs Forestville
Game of the round easily. Was hoping this was to be a battle of undefeated teams but Woodville played spoiler. Forestville have a huge size advantage and Woodville may have exposed the blueprint to taking advantage of the Flames. Norwood will be hungry to avenge their loss last week but will fall short.

Forestville by 10 to extend their double figure winning streak.

Topic #45096 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you put Eastern as top import duo? Morris definitely but Cherry inconsistent, someone has to play second fiddle on that team when focus on morris and it ain't locals. Didn't he only score 2 points total earlier in season? Can only pick on young guards and bully to basket, what's their record again, may have pushed hugely underperforming north, but only squeaked by sturt because of choked foul shots.
Someone has crush on mavs imports, wasn't last year they were mentioned including the immortal William Wise the 3rd, who shopped himself around in off season but no one bit on.
Anyway, Cherry sucks big time, reviewer should watch some of his games on hudl!

Reply #740887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clippinger coming back from sprained ankle,

Reply #740892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has a coach ever been fired by a club mid season
i doubt south would have the balls to do it, and if they did who would they get to coach

Reply #740896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP here. Sorry I have have hudl or whatever it is you're suggesting I watch on I go by box scores or FB streams from clubs that post them and try to get to games most weeks.

I’m sure I’m not perfect in my assessments but just call what I see.

Reply #740901 | Report this post

Fastbreak  
Years ago

How many teams play finals?

Reply #740903 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Thanks OP for your write ups each that generate good focus and discussion on Premier League. Although I don't agree (most weeks - ha!) on some of your assessments, how boring would that be!? Keep the conjecture, opinions and discussion coming peeps. Makes the game we love even better. :)

Reply #740905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Anon #887 - How's Sturt treating you? Ha Ha Ha! You obviously want to anon your posts cause you know your deal went from bad to worse! Cherry compliments Morris if you watch the games plus Cherry at least got a double double even though they weren't top scores. In addition, Vozzo and McGee helped get Mavs to OT against Rockets. You're just mad cause you can't get a starting 5 gig!

Just a hater in disguise!

Woodville to crush Sturt this week - morale is high and they know they have to depth to challenge the top of the stack!

Reply #740908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep it up OP. Good to see the writeups each week.

Reply #740917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Mavs
Ladies and you know who you are, stop posting you talk way too much
You are not helping the so called culture improvement lol
Every one has an opinion just like everyone has a butt and the diarrhoea you guys come up with is making your club even more stinky
Can't wait until you post re the terrific win you have when you play south
Heaven help if Brandon gets injured
Good game vozzo tho hopefully you will be recognised by coach now but only when others play footy before pl perhaps

Reply #740951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vozzo is a self centred ball hog who only cares about himself than winning. Would rather score 30 points and lose than 10 and win. Luckily and stupidly Warhurst brought him back after publicly bagging the club and no one wanted his toxic me first. A lot has been said about Warhurst but this really showed their lack of culture. Elsewhere he would never be brought back, just left to rot in 23s somewhere.

Reply #740954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 teams play finals.

The 'crush Sturt' ‘beat Sturt’ ‘smash Sturt’ is getting old suggesting they have slayed a giant. It’s a transition period so pull your heads in and get some perspective and take your emotions out of it. Sturt eill be beaten, they know it but their young team will build and there is more to a club than a Premier League premiership. Success can be determine in many ways, theirs is different than most. Be more concerned about a club that without a 25 thousand dollar interest free loan from a ‘parent’ they admitted at a meeting last week they were done. ‘ whoever that was must have been part of the inner circle to even know the club was in dire financial trouble because no one else knew although some were suspicious of the spending) and that they are still spending. Some players don’t come cheap ! Think about how and who will have to make that debt up and how fair that is and if a Premier League Premiership is worth it and then review what other clubs are doing. Probably the right thing financially.

Reply #740965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Rigby Alphabet making the post. What does complement mean, anyone can compliment a scorer like Morris. He's OK, better than Perry or that Dakota kid but isn't very good. He's just simply better than anyone else they have so gets second bite of the cherry, pun intended. McGee just simply lives on offensive rebounds and to even mention Vozzo is a joke. Shows the theory that if you shoot enough once in awhile they go in.

Reply #740973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand why Vozzo is even getting any mention? Plays the PG role but doesn't want to pass and has complete "tunnel vision" to score and thats it. Shopped himself around over the off season saying he would never play under Warhurst and guess what happened he's back at the Mavs.

Sturt junior that played D2 and never had a sniff at any rep or HP teams ever. Make no mistake the "kid" is 22-23 and has been around senior level for quite a while so I really am dumbfounded why his mates or himself or whomever attempts to hype him on this forum.
Eastern are better this season but let's not forget they only have 2 wins and were extremely lucky to jag Sturt who lost the game rather than Mavs winning it.

Reply #740986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a number of games this week that is so worth watching. Hopefully teams will stream them online so we can watch over the rest of the weekend.

Reply #741009 | Report this post

Mike hunt  
Years ago

Seb Vozzo should be playing college he's too good for this level he was the reason they came back you only have to watch him to understand how good he is I’m not even his mate I’ve never spoken to him but watching him play he is a talent

Reply #741032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if North v Pioneers game will be live-streamed and if so the link. Thanks

Reply #741063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suggest people get to a game, plenty of good ones to choose from!

Mount Gambier usually post a link on their FB near hand time or search Pioneers TV on YouTube

Reply #741070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Hunt, do you have a Danish cousin called Yorrick?

Reply #741077 | Report this post

Daniel short  
Years ago

Pioneers v north will be a blow out would prefer watch the pioneers juniors play oh wait.....

Reply #741102 | Report this post

Mike Hunt  
Years ago

Rich coming from someone posting as anonymous xx

Reply #741103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood clearly getting underrated as they are lower than Mt Gambier. Will be interesting how they go against the Eagles.

Reply #741106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood have been overrated since 2015. No Holmes no team.

Reply #741107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bet Norwood have beaten your team every year since 2015 fkn loser

Reply #741108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep they have with the same juniors I played against when younger!!!!

Reply #741178 | Report this post

John Doe  
Years ago

All the comments about Vozzo are just butt hurt people from Sturt or Mavericks. He is 20 hasn't played the last 2 PL seasons is shooting near 40% from 3. He's only averaging about 10 mins a game which I cant imagine makes it easy to record good numbers. He definitely has a score first mindset which is why i'm not sure why he plays the back up point guard. He played at the 2 against north I can assume they'll keep him there after it was his probably only notable game this season to be frank. If you saw the kids skill set when confident and has the green light he's well outside the PL skill level. (27 ppg in reserves as well). Anyway we will see if his minutes get expanded and he proves me right through the rest of the season.

Off the court i'm not too sure what he says or does, but I know his team mates all praise him highly. Shopping around in the off season and coming back isn't great, but we don't know the conversations he has had with the coaching staff. Going to the NBL combine last year but wasn't suiting up for Mavs, I can imagine why he would want to move.

Reply #741203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuck off with the Vozzo praise. He's a ball hog, reserves teammates hate him because he shoots every possession and doesn't pass. Where do they sit in reserves, hardly a good team. If he has such a high skill set why has he only had one good game in PL? Jordy Wilson at Norwood is averaging 30 plus in reserves at a better percentage easily.
And he went to nbl combine, that's hilarious.

Reply #741206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #741206 You're toxic definitely got some ongoing life issues. 50 and abusing a 20 year old on anonymous.

Reply #741208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of players do well in reserves and do nothing in Premier League. Look at forestvilles entire team for example.

Reply #741211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, not 50. Played against him and his teammate kept bitching every time he took a bad shot.

Reply #741220 | Report this post

DN  
Years ago

Can't believe forestville didn’t close with me that’s why we lost to an "overrated" Norwood

Reply #741259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys two techs, Majok forgetting how to play basketball, Jake running the ball out with three seconds to go, a freak 3 and Greg getting fouled on the last shot. And you won by 1. Celebrate hard fellas!

Reply #741260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine not trusting ya team so much you get 36ers players in. Back to back for the 6ers hero

Reply #741261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No new imports for Norwood though of course, they fully trusted the team they had. Don't think Woodville celebrated that hard last week.

Reply #741262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plummeting on the power rankings quicker than the tears down your face brother what 6er is next?

Reply #741263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok must have texting the refs missus the way he was getting mugged tonight. Lucky the lights went out straight after the game so the bystanders couldn't identify the robbers #homecooking #campbelltowncooking

Reply #741264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beat North and Forestville by 1 and now think they're a force to be reckoned with...

Reply #741265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Jordy Wilson straight to hoops.com after playing 3 minutes and waving his towel about 350 times tonight, good job bud !

Reply #741266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville were even missing key 36ers reserve played Akol Deng !!!

Reply #741267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordy Wilson beat forestville in the 3 minutes played not our fault your player can't throw the ball in. I learnt that in under 10s

Reply #741268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs doing as shit a job as possible to make sure they aren't forced to do two games in a row again.

Reply #741271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was that Will Wise spotted behind/at the end of the Norwood bench tonight ? He's still in Adelaide ? /New import for them ??

Reply #741273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Wise perfect Norwood player, can't play defence and only shoots from perimeter.

Reply #741278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ sounds like you have no more tears to cry my friends it's okay 36ers will hopefully offer you decent players soon

Reply #741279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not our fault our juniors want to play for us and bring their mates. Many Norwood players in the 36ers squad?

Reply #741281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah didn't know it was bring your friend season my bad. Rich saying that once you have all your juniors ride the pine while Teys and Deng choke it at the end of the game. Oh wait where was Teys?

Reply #741284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So that's none then I guess. Good chat champ.

Reply #741286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah none but how many did you have tonight that won against Norwood? Oh yeah that's non good chat champ

Reply #741288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I honestly don't know what’s worse. Celebrating with your fans at centre court after a regular season victory, losing to woodville, or some of the absolute zingers you’re coming up with.

Reply #741290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having three 36ers and still losing

Reply #741292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can tell you're an idiot, but not knowing two comes before three when you’re counting on your fingers is really embarrassing. Teys, Majok anddddd?

Can’t wait for "derrrrr what’s real embarrassing is losing lol"

Reply #741294 | Report this post

1 april win 2019  
Years ago

Grab that yearly win v eagles now in April mate and celebrate it hard cos just like the last 3 years, you'll be sent packing early when it comes to finals

Reply #741295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ to play 43 seconds to qualify again?

Reply #741296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players of the round possibilities after a quick look at the box scores (which is what the judges seem to go off).

Perry 40/6/0
Morris 25/16/5
Turnage 32/12/4
Drmic 29/7/4
Barkley 29/15/7

Reply #741297 | Report this post

1 april win 2019  
Years ago

Turnage also with 7 steals and drew 8 fouls adding to his statline

Reply #741299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turnage it is then. You're welcome Premier League Media Team

Reply #741300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come Rhys was coaching South last night? Did Jamie step down?

Reply #741305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or was he stood down?

Reply #741307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is at the nationals

Reply #741308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South looked way better without him. Is Dakota the worst import in last few years?

Reply #741309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The worst, advertised as a gun 3 point shooter, must have been playing div 4 college, the recruiting of players at south has been terrible

Reply #741312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do norwood have an 11 year old featured in the premier league promotion video weird shouldn't he be doing homework??

Reply #741322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He averaged 8 points at a shit college, physically looks like an under 18. Coach not only shit on court but cant recruit. Him not being there last night shows how little they need him. As mentioned earlier, should be sacked and Zinser on 1st plane back, cut losses, surely theres someone floating around looking to play. I think north had that dud a few years back and he ended up playing reserves mainly.

Reply #741330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but he has a hot wife and is both are living with the coach

Reply #741346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South are terrible! Don't blame Robertson for quitting

Reply #741365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA country 18's getting flogged as bad as Souths men’s side, common theme, the coach

Reply #741415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say that necessarily. Maybe he is a young coach willing to take on the higher roles no one wants to try and make a name for himself.

I don't think SA Country getting flogged is anything new before or after he was coaching them. Likewise with South over the past 15 years anyway.

Reply #741416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He got sack apparently from Centrals div 2 girls because he had no clue. Got country job because no one wanted it because of crappy pay and the travel. Hooked up with Deano because state is inbred,went for job at South and got it because no one wanted it and mates with President or something. Took a bad team and made it worse, at least with Davis he could nearly win game by self. Instead he gets a guy called Dakota who can't score in double figures, might be an ok reserves player. Had a terrible college career but somehow gets an import gig over literally thousands of better players. Need I go on, team nearly snatches 1st win without him. Wait until they lose Hoppo, then it gets scary.

Reply #741419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Hoppo

Reply #741439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how inbred country and metro are! Usually they hate each other. So not sure his connection down at Southern but rest of what you're saying seems pretty fair.

Casella and Petty both have to be on the hot seat entering the break. Whitmore has got himself off the hot seat the past fortnight and Warhurst might just be showing enough to last the season.

Reply #741465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but no one will be sacked mid season

Reply #741473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you guys crack me up, this is not the NBA/NBL, premier league coaches are literally volunteers and the line up to coach teams is very very short, no one is getting sacked or replaced for performance, low budget clubs know exactly where they sit in the scheme of things.

clubs may re advertise roles at the end of the year but that's about it

sturt could drop the next 10 games straight, coach will still be there at the end of the season.

Reply #741488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Tony

Reply #741496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the committee doesn't want to spend money, your only hope as a coach is to have the committees backing to allow you a minimum of 3 years to build something. If you haven't improved the team and pathways/ culture of the team you're gone. I would hazard a guess a few coaches have been given too many or not enough chances.

Reply #741516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's some pearls of wisdom from Jamie
Petty - who admits he coaches on feel rather than Nyberg's data-driven style – was quick to make wholesale changes.

"We had 9 guys in the team last year who aren’t back, some of that was through their decisions, a lot of it was through my decisions," said Petty.

“It was definitely disjointed. The practices weren’t at a really high standard, there were low levels of professionalism around watching tape and scouting, it just was not a very cohesive group.

Reply #741530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just slam ex players when your team is zip and 6 lol

I loved the suck job towards the committee at the end, I nearly choked on my vomit

Reply #741535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree and know that south coach is terrible
Doesn't matter whether he coaches sac money making rubbish or div 6 but one thing is he has only just begun
Other clubs have coaches who have been going down the youth/local path for a few years and have made 0 progress a massive 5 wins in 3 years and multiple players leaving
I agree they are volunteering mostly but the clubs they are so called coaching for if you can call it that are going backwards fast
Great development and foresight committees
And Mavs people take note also great job 15 up against tigers and losing again with only 1 rotation in last 1/4 and overtime due to foul issue
Please go to sac bottom bucket with rest of coaches who think they are better than they are and have taken those positions as no decent coaches who are approached want them

Reply #741537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ English dude please.

Reply #741538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just think the whole article was unbelievable. Coaching by feel, i know it looks like he coaches the game like Stevie Wonder, but how do you coach by feel? Like he felt Dakota was a good player?
Sounds like a real tough guy making those decisions, looks like he has most of squad back sans imports, so who are these 9? Jackie Moon was a better general manager, didn't he make a trade with a washing machine?
If the previous squad was more unprofessional than this current rabble I'd have loved to seen it. And I would really LOVE to see him saying that to Al's face!
And the final thing that cracked me up was Deans data driven style. I suppose paying players more money than the opposition counts as data, our expenditure is more than yours! Only data Dean has looked up lately is prices at McDonald's.

Reply #741545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The data is the electronic funds transfer

Reply #741554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#741537 Not sure what you are getting at as your post is all over the place? Petty is a coach with no resume who for whatever reason thinks he is a hell of a lot better than he actually is that is. Don't know what sac is, and can't understand what the Warhurst/Mavs reference was all about??

Reply #741558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think sac is SA country

Reply #741566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country are awful. Really really bad

Reply #741571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought's on this Thursdays games?

Reply #741573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sabres to open the account by 15+ against the hapless panthers.

Reply #741574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

west men to win by 1 in a battle of the underachievers

Reply #741578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs to push the Flames to their 3rd overtime of the season.

Reply #741579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't put Casella in the same context as Petty please. Casella has long history and proven record. Behind the scenes many juniors in div 1 colleges and Creek Doyle and many others have turned to him for advice and private sessions and look at where they are now. He knows his stuff just not an egotistical young man building an empire but a mature man with a family who understands his role is more than just the wins which may come later in the players careers but for now its putting in the work. He has a tough gig with a lot of retired talent this season, a couple moved clubs chasing something they may not even get and the club will not put themselves in the position other clubs have put themselves in for the sake of a premiership push, so he is doing what he can with what he has. They are a very young team and they are getting better results and showing signs every week that they will not go down without a fight. Some unexpected talent is emerging as well which is always a bonus. As to the other there is a large group south of Wayville that are tight and impenetrable who get a gig coaching by association now and there is a co relationship with country within that group, everyone knows someone. Some of them are gifted great teams so its easy leading talent developed by others but for some they don’t have the luxury so they are being exposed. Thats all. Put them with inexperience that needs someone who can develop talent like Casella is doing and make something of it, then we get what we get.

Reply #741585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do have to admire Sturt going with young talent, Casella has done what he can with them. I think last year he could have done better but was playing without 2 imports to help. Would like to know where this other talent they've had in juniors have gone apart from college.

Reply #741588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Tony/Janx, you can quit defending Sturt on here now.

Reply #741599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt have always done their kids a disservice by not surrounding them with 2 imports. Part of development is learning to play with imports. Imports are not that expensive, just requires somebody to get off their arse and do the hard yards to get them here.

Reply #741601 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Not sure that Sturt have it completely right.

Their junior program at the div 1 & 2 levels has been first class for years.

But surely they can manage their finances well enough to bring in one quality player/import for each of their senior programs, when needed?

Seems a bit out of balance to be brilliant in juniors but well off the pace in seniors??

Reply #741608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Far cry from years past of the Sturty Sixers. If you were looking to make the development squad you had to join sturt, think it was mainly Ninnis to blame for that.

Reply #741612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team mate - I think it's just Sturt value the pathways Premier League gives their brilliant juniors as you put it.

If you took a scoreline of each premier league game of said juniors and their opposition team's juniors in that game you'd find that Sturt is the easy winner. What is even more fun when you add Sturt juniors on the other team to the Sturt score.

Fact is if you have a son that loves the game and want to have a pathway in the sport him at Sturt. There is really not even anything close on the men's side.

If you want to play good imports and have a limited pathway then other clubs offer that service. The guys on the Norwood bench for example that barely get on seem to have a great time doing their thing.

Reply #741614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's rubbish. There’s been plenty of "sons" that have made a pathway in the sport from other clubs. Typical Sturt elite thinking that they produce better pathways for players.

I can think of many successful players in PL and abroad right now from other clubs and even players that have started at Sturt and found high level success elsewhere.

Reply #741616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah good game, count the juniors points per Premier League game.
Although considering ALL other clubs use imports and some sixers it would seem like a silly game to prove your point of Sturt junior dominance, particularly as those imports do take alot of the shots and that doesnt happen at Sturt.
They may win the junior points battle you seem fond of but stagnate as men and are taught a losing culture, a mentality that can be hard to shake when you are told you are the best but continue to lose in seniors every week no matter how hard you try.
Sturt do a disservice to the PL competition and to their elite junior program by not supporting their boys with two decent imports.

Reply #741624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is how I see it as of now

1. Forestville

2. Mount Gambier

3. North Adelaide

4. Norwood

5. Southern

6. Centrals

7. West

8. Eastern Mavs

9. Woodville

10 Sturt

11 South

Reply #741632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As you judge remember this fact. A premiership winning club that was on the verge of collapse owing money to many including bsa are only open for business due to a cash injection from a 'parent' of $25K tax free. Think about who has that much money to just give up to a club and why do it and what happened. Surely it can not be just they didn’t get fees from a few parents. The pressure to fundraise is on parents now which is hard to swallow if you have had a bad run of coaching for your kids team and most will bot benefit from a strong Premier League team and only a small % go to games, it is a large club and would need a larger stadium to fill it if everyone turned up. Is good financial management and allowing your club families to have a balanced life outside of basketball a bad thing. Talent gets opportunity and everyone else can get on with life. They really don’t care about Premier League when they have more happening elsewhere and who is to say that is not okay. They could have a crowd, no money and young players sitting on the bench or do what they do now. I know what I would pick. And do you think they even care what the championship clubs think when they are busy with their lives. I think not.

Reply #741639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it was tax free, only the government can tax you! It was a donation from a parent, someone probably trying to buy favour for their kids, and there's lots of them at southern, or someone who runs a successful business and therefore has the ability to donate that sort of cash.

What should be of concern is if that money was used to pay for the coach or recruits like drmic rather than going to paying off debt.

Reply #741779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic wouldn't be far off that kind of coin and Turnage and Johns not cheap either. How many others will face this problem trying to keep up with the tiges?

Reply #741798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are we wasting time talking about the likes of Sturt and South..... what we should really be discussing is what Seb Vozzo is gonna do in round 8. This kid just gets better and better ever week.

Reply #741886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Interest free

Reply #741900 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:52 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754