LC
Years ago

Anyang Garang signs NLI with Oklahoma Sooners

Oklahoma men's basketball head coach Lon Kruger announced the signing of Australian forward Anyang Garang.

Oklahoma Sooners sign Anyang Garang

Great to see another talented youg prospect sign with a major program.

Topic #45126 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder how long before Jantke and/or Rashad claim him as being the one(s) who developed him

Reply #741698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he playing anywhere at the moment?

Reply #741699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to the legend! Well done to Anyang.

Incredibly hard working and dedicated. Great kid, very gifted and a great team guy.

Reply #741700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PS: Can we keep the Jantke hate to just one or 2 channels pls. Everytime something good happens there's another hater.

Enjoy your day ;)

Reply #741701 | Report this post

Michael Bluth  
Years ago

Hello Garang :)

Reply #741706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just sick of every kid that goes to college has Jantke saying he was a major reason. All he did I believe with Anyang was coach him at state, hardly a proving ground.
And based on his productivity at centrals the centre of excellence haven't done him any favours, just worked on his 3 point shot.

Reply #741707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Currently playing with Centrals Premier League. Injured past few weeks.

Was at NBA Global Academy till recently and trained with the Adelaide 36ers when he got back from there, who are working hard to hopefully get him home when college is done.

Reply #741708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANon - where does he say this?
How would you know about Jantke's involvement?

Maybe let this thread be about Anyang and create a Jantke claiming thread with some evidence or even just contact him yourself to get some info and insights.

Reply #741709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was he the Garang who played u20s for SA this year? If so, his numbers were a bit underwhelming for someone going to such a good program?

Reply #741710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schools like this have some resources, experience and insights to invest in their talent evaluation around the world. Pretty sure they would be aware of this but have done some serious assessment and checking up on him. We should all be happy for this kid.

Hoping BSA and Centrals publish something about his commitment.

Only 6 boys in history have gone to high majors of SA. Anyang being the 6th.

Reply #741712 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Great news for him.

Oklahoma must be really hoping that after 2-3 years in their program that he develops into a player. He certainly has the physical tools

A long way off that level at the moment

Reply #741714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon hating on Jantke must make you feel good...well done. Maybe he didn't help your son? Or....you? Great guy and great coach

Reply #741715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon they look at the physical tools plus a whole bunch of intangibles.

Barring anything unforseen, like injury, he will be a very good Big 12 player by the time he is done there. Hopefully we can get him back home to play at Adelaide.

Reply #741716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a great young kid. How long was he at the COE for? I guess I just expect those players to dominate nationals and as far as I can tell he was a bench player for a team which didn't medal.

Maybe the coach just didn’t find the right role for him.

Reply #741718 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Good luck to the kid.

LC
Any other freshmen signed for 2019/20 other than Garang and Josh Green?

Reply #741721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leupepe to Lmu.
Ducas, Bowen to st Mary's.

Reply #741723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a look at his FB page. Claimed Hulland, Moses, Uche(Although he was at sturt), Anyang and a host of others. Pushing his and the Sturt brand hard there.

Reply #741725 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Anyang Garang

Where in Korea is this?

Reply #741726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whos facebook

Reply #741727 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Lon Kruger? That's a blast from the past former Atlanta Hawks coach.

Reply #741728 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not really unless you don't follow NCAA - he's been coaching in it for decades minus the brief NBA stints.

Reply #741731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

125, feel free to

1. Create a "we hate Jantke claiming athletes thread" (eventhough we cannot support it with actual evidence)
OR
2. Contact the man yourself for some insights and facts.

I'm sure knowing him he is reading your comments and having a great laugh at you and would love to have a good hearty debate with you.

But this thread is about the great kid that is Anyang that has worked really hard for this, overcoming significant adversity along the way.

Reply #741732 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

6'9 with a FUCKING 7'5 WINGSPAN!!!!

Reply #741734 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Tyler Robertson to Eastern Washington
Ryan Rapp to University of San Francisco (had coach change so hopefully still committed)
Josh Kunen to University of San Francisco (had coach change so hopefully still committed)
Ollie Hayes Brown to UC Riverside
Wani Swaka to Cal Baptist (rumours that he has decommitted)
Isaih Lee to UC Irvine

Reply #741738 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I always thought Wani could have found a better school than Cal Baptist

Reply #741739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea I agree with Wani. They are very good recruiters though. Nice school too.

Only 2 out of SA:

Jarryd Hoppo to Southern Utah in the Big Sky and of course the man of the moment Anyang. About to be another big boom of talent come out.

Looks like the vast majority will be out of Sturt again with maybe a few from North too.

Reply #741740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

125, crickets.... lol

Reply #741746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Jankte is mostly responsible for helping Anyang and others get into these colleges

Reply #741749 | Report this post

Niko  
Years ago

Cant see how Anyang can survive in the Big12.. school would have taken a flyer on his athletic gifts & if he doesn't pan out will join the other 1000 kids in the transfer pool.
Lat Mayen was twice the player of anyang and could hardly see the court as a redshirt freshman

jonah antonio signed with UNLV
sean bairstow with utah state
hunter goodrick with south dakota
tre amstrong with cal baptist

Reply #741751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every kid is different. NO WAY they recruited him just off a flyer LOL.

It has been reported that Lat suffered ongoing knee issues. He did play some nice minutes when healthy for Redshirt Sophomore at that level.

Reply #741752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The anon hating on Jantke clearly has no Idea what he's actually done for these kids. If you’re debating it mate, ask Anyang yourself......oh, you don’t know him.

Reply #741753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Evidence = His FB page, now shut up Andrew!!!

Reply #741754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyang is an incredible young man. He will be fine at Oklahoma in the longer term as long there are no injury issues.

His work ethic is outstanding and as mentioned above he has the physical tools to get it done. If it doesn't work out I'm sure like they mention above he can transfer or we'll have him back home with the 6ers and loved having him involved in practices and even attending games on the road already.

He has been a big part of our SA state program for the past couple of years coming from nowhere initially, filling a massive talent void in that age group. He bought into traditional high performance pathways, having a range of opportunities to also head overseas early, but he committed to traditional programs, which eventually saw him heading to the NBA Global Academy.

If you've seen and tracked his development he DID significantly develop whilst at the NBA Global Academy and this certainly helped his recruitment.

In regards to Jantke LOL. Start a thread champ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance) or contact him directly. I'm sure he would get get a kick and a laugh out of chatting with you.

Reply #741755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop the Jantke hate. Janx has helped a lot of kids, but he understands it takes a village to get kids somewhere. He never claims all the credit. Tucker on the other hand does. No way would I put them two guys in the same boat.

I have been fortunate enough to be around Anyang for a little bit of his journey so far and he has been helped by a lot of people inside and outside the basketball community, he has a remarkable story of overcoming adversity that is not my place to tell. He has had to take on some heavy burdens in life and despite it all he is an amazing kid, once you know him you can't help but like him and wish him all the best.

I'm sure he would be embarrassed to see some of the comments in this thread. He's a quite lad, very unaasuming. A head down get to work type of kid. He has a chance to be an amazing success story out of an underprivileged part of Adelaide. I hope some people here can put aside their agendas and wish the lad well.

Reply #741757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't watched much of Garang, by all reports he's a pretty raw player, but at 6'9 with a 7'5 wingspan, it gives him a lot of upside should his skill-set develop, which is possible given his reported character/work ethic.

Even if he's a limited offensive player, those sort of measurements give him a lot of potential as a defender.

Reply #741758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I for one am a good friend of the family of a player that Jantkes program helped get to college. I can assure you that they put a lot of work into it and I'm sure that Anyang is no exception to this

Reply #741760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyang is a great kid and wants to learn, but what did he get out of AIS, certainly not getting any minutes at centrals or contributing. They're just trying to get a physical specimen out there shooting 3s like Maker instead of teaching overall and inside game. And his defensive game has a lot to be desired from game I saw at St Clair.

Reply #741765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And not hating on Jantke too much, does a great job when he gets a good team. Just that even if he just shakes a kids hand and they get a college offer he thinks he had a part of that development.

Reply #741766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're saying;

"I don't hate Jantke too much I just hate him a little bit (LOL).

I cannot interpret or understand the fact that someone (who could this be?) is suggestion a number of times above to start a separate hate thread on him (for laughs) and/or give me the opportunity or contact him directly to get information so I can attempt to address my baseless, hairbrained, clueless ideas."

Fair enough I understand, you're one of those.

This thread should be about Anyang.
Discussion over, over and out.

Reply #741772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aanyang Garang was always my favourite Skrillex song

Reply #741774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are you so protective of him, he promising your kid a scholarship? Maybe next to Ben Carter on the bench and his career 4 points? Getting really angry about this aren't you, bit fishy all this passion.

Reply #741799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't even play many minutes for Centrals ffs, he's gonna sit on the bench all 4 years for OU.

Reply #741802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys crack me up.

Lon Kruger is one of the best in the business. Many years of experience including NBA level and college level. Hell he just had a guy that went from unheralded freshman to one of the best players in teh world in his age group in Buddy. The kid going there will have plenty of resources thrown at him to get better and improve from coaches, to gyms, to strenghth and conditioning and whatever else.

You really think Lon gonna risk his just $4millAUD job to waste a scholarship on a kid that will sit on the bench for 5 years (assuming they redshirt him).

Carter was lucky not to redshirt this year. He is in a championship program in the Big Sky conference, went in with some work to do which he is doing. Course he didn't play much in his freshman year at that level SHEEESSSHHHH LOL

You are either plain stooopid and uninformed or just have a poor comprehension of reality.
Absolute gold you guys!!

Reply #741810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I honestly don't understand why Janx cops so much crap when he takes nothing from the kids he has helped. Whether his input or help was the major factor in getting the kids signed is irrelevant, he does actually have good contacts and uses this to help with options. I am not from Sturt nor involved with any of his State teams, I am a parent who had a meeting with Andrew a couple of years ago. At that meeting he discussed assistance for my son and support even though he didn't play for Sturt or was part of the SA Metropolitan program. Andrew stayed in regular contact and gave advice in college pathways going forward, this he did not have to do.
We navigated the NCAA minefield that is at another level in terms of competitiveness and received several offers from different schools before choosing a very good D2 school in a great conference. Although Andrew didnt help with this final decision it was he that instigated part of the process years before.

Good luck to Anyang and all of the other SA kids in college from major D1 power programs all the way through to low level JUCO programs, we should encourage these achievements and not rubbish those that offer any form of support.

Reply #741820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carter went in with some work to do, yeah, not going back for seconds! If he was serious should have lost 10 kgs.

Reply #741826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's only one anon having a go at Jantke. Nobody else has an issue. If the troll wants to speak, let him. Jantke will continue to help kids, whilst that clown will continue to talk shit about people online and do nothing to help young talent.

Reply #741829 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754