Big Ads
Years ago

Ben Simmons commits to Boomers for upcoming events

It was announced on SEN radio (with sound bite) at 11.30 am this morning.

What this means exactly?"

I have assume it includes local games being played against other countries leading up to the World Cup and the World Cup itself.

Topic #45227 | Report this topic

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

yes it does. He will be in for the Aus v USA and Canada games.

This has just made my day.

Reply #743939 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great news!!!

Reply #743940 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Hopefully also gives himself some time away from the NBA spotlight to fix the kink in his shot too, great news for Australian basketball.

Reply #743941 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I actually think if "fixing his shot" or maybe more accurate "getting confident enough to shoot" is his priority, he would be better off not coming over for WC and just spending the summer working on it.

Not that I'm complaining. Will be awesome to see him.

Reply #743944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do you start Simmons at PG or PF

Reply #743945 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Both? PG on offense, PF on defense? Starting Baynes at the 5 allows everyone except Simmons to be a threat from 3-point range.

I'm also intrigued by the idea of playing a smallball lineup with Simmons at the 5 defensively, surrounded by shooters.

Reply #743949 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This is great.

Reply #743952 | Report this post

MorrisseyDunk  
Years ago

Great news.

What would be preferred starting line up - Delly, Mills, Ingles, Simmons and Baynes?

Maybe swap Delly for Broekhoff?

Does anyone know if Exum is likely to be fit? Although he might not make squad regardless.

Reply #743953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum won't be fit last time I heard.

Reply #743956 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #743961 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

With Simmons running the point you would imagine they would try and play as many shooters in with him. I would go: Simmons, Mills, Ingles, Broekhoff, Baynes.

Second unit 9-man rotation of: Delly, Exum, Bolden, Bogut

Against some of the smaller teams they could definitely run out a death line up of Mills, Delly, Ingles, Broekhoff, Simmons. Every one of those guys moves the ball well and can all shoot bar Simmons.

Reply #743963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum ain't playing.

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Cooks
Baynes

Dellavedova
Sobey
Broekhoff
Bolden
Bogut

Creek or Adel
Maker or Humphries

Reply #743968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thon maker

Reply #743969 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Brilliant!

Reply #743973 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Exum may not make the squad regardless of fitness? For farks sake.

Reply #743977 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers talent pool is deep!

As some others have said, Exum will not be available.

People should not overlook Brock Motum as a stretch four as his game will be suited to the international game, and will complement a guy like Simmons running point. Jock Landale has been starring in Europe, while Xavier Cooks is a versatile forward who is also capable from beyond the arc.

While Exum is no longer available, if he was fit, here is my Boomers squad of 24.

Boomers talent pool runs deep for shot at Rio redemption

Andrej Lemanis is now rightly in the hot seat. No excuses.

Reply #743981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain why Humphries keeps getting mentioned. You would think Creek has to be in there.

Reply #743982 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Motum should definitely make the team.

Why does Exum not be fit for the worlds? He had surgery late march didnt he? I thought it was around 3 months recovery which at worst would get him healthy by early July.

Is it just his preference to sit out?

Reply #743983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lc you put Cadee in as a possible...

You also put creek as a nets player.

Reply #743984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can we get Ben back his Aussie accent? He lost it pretty quickly!

Reply #743985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale has fallen away as season progressed, Cooks slightly as well but the Bbl is a lot tougher. Hayes, Bolden, Bogut should cover the five spot.

Reply #743988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is hayes

Reply #743989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes'

Reply #743990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do people think its a bit weird that Bryce cotton hasn't got Australian citizenship, Cotton would be playing for the Boomers

Reply #743992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uluc said Broekoff is doubtful for WC as well because of the birth of his newborn... My 12 man roster would look like this -

Dellevadova
Mills
Ingles
Simmons
Baynes

Maker
Bolden
Bogut
Creek
Adel
Green
McCarron/Sobey

Still lots of talent, but we've got an issue, and that is reliable perimeter shooting amongst the 2nd unit, and that's imperative around a Simmons-structured team. Mills/Delly/Ingles is obviously an elite spacing group, and Baynes shot 34% on an okay volume this year as well, but of the 2nd unit -

Creek - 22% from 3 in G-League
Adel - 32.3% from 3 in G-League, 26% for Cavs
Green - 34.5% from AAU 3, unproven at this level, though

Fortunately Bolden and Maker have been serviceable stretch threats as bigs in the NBA (though far from consistent), but Bogues won't stretch the floor.

The question then becomes, do you try to accomodate more proven shooters over the best talent available to fill out those last spots? McCarron is a great off-ball/spot up guard threat, so I think he's a good chance. I wouldn't take Goulding but he's a dynamic shooter/shot-maker. And he hasn't had much Boomers hype, but Kouat Noi, if you're pining for a shooting threat on the wing, is a real talent who shot 38.7% from 3 over his 2 college seasons.

Reply #744002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should consider Green. We've got a history of playing youngsters and giving them a platform. Mills, Exum, Ingles, Simmons all around 18 on debut. Green is on a similar level at the same age in my opinion.

Reply #744015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kardashians to Australia!!!! Cant wait

Reply #744093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be playing Ben at PF on BOTH ends. Give him the ball in the open court and play him to his strengths. In the half court I'd half a healthy dose of Ingles/ Bogut pick n roll or have Bogut run the offence at the top of the key. Play Ben on the block or have him cutting or cherry picking round the rim for dunks. I'd rather have Ingles as my PG and have Mills play a similar roll to Donavon Mitchell. My one two punch off the bench would be Delly/Baynes.

C Bogut
PF Simmons
SF Ingles
SG Broekoff
PG Mills

Bench
Baynes
Delly

Daylight

Who ever gets hot and wants to play D

Reply #744210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aussiehoopla have said Broekoff isn't playing, his wife is having a baby

Reply #744211 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:40 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754