Harry Froling
Nathan Sobey
Nick Kay
David Barlow

Which 18 players would you choose?

Topic #45261 | Report this topic

Timmah  
Years ago

Good list. I don't see Froling at that same level yet. A lot of mentions of Cook playing well in Europe. Maybe Goulding in there for Kay as we're pretty top heavy.

Is Green cleared to play (shoulder)?

Reply #744810 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Yes Green is ready to go by the time camp starts

Reply #744812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that I think your list is bad, but I think it will look a bit different. Including Simmons, you've listed 6 PG/SGs. Could open the door for the likes of Goulding and Cadee to get look ins even though I dont think they warrant it. I would be shocked if they had that many bigs in the 18 man.

Lemanis loves his combo guard heavy lineups.

Reply #744815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow?? Umm

Reply #744822 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Can only assume that Exum is still injured.

My 18:

Guards;
Simmons
Mills
Dellavedova
Sobey
Green
Goulding

Wings;
Ingles
Creek
Cooks
Adel
Gliddon

Bigs;
Bogut
Baynes
T Maker
Bolden
Landale
Humphries
Motum.

Missing the cut McCarron, Kay, H Froling and Cadee although it wouldn't surprise me I Cadee or even Hodgson get in seeing as Lemanis is coach.

Reply #744824 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

*if

Reply #744825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can Humphries get in ahead of either Kay or Froling. Not certain Motum had a good season either. Kay for mine.

Reply #744827 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure Green is up to this level yet? A big jump from playing high school against 17/18 year olds to playing against 25+
He may be invited for the longer term development

Reply #744830 | Report this post

Timmah  
Years ago

^^^
answered your own question

Reply #744831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't figure out a way to sneak him in but I'd like to see Daniel Grida in consideration for the extended squad (to be clear, nowhere near the top 12 yet). He is a bad man. An all-round player with upside to fill a role as soon as 2020, but certainly beyond.

Reply #744832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we are playing favourites I'd like to see Naar and Moller in the 18, certainly for the future, Moller probably not that far off already.

Reply #744835 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'd say Hogwash's list is pretty close but with perhaps Kay in for Humphries and McCarron in for Green

Reply #744840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt Moller fits the Lemanis system.

Reply #744841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No cooks, huh?

Reply #744845 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

Green is more than ready to picked. People who said he is too young are just full of crap.
Look at Japan and Slovenia picking both Doncic and Hachimura at 18 year of age. Australia can't be too conversative in picking youngsters. Ben Simmons should have been picked for the world cup squad when he was 18. But Simmons did not make that squad and it was a mistake.

Reply #744846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Names like Moller frequently pop up but certainly not in the mix for tomorrow's squad list.
Look forward to seeing
Naar
Grida
H Froling
McDowellWhite
Makur Maker
Wigness
Noi
and more after 2020 Olympics

Reply #744847 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

I feel Makur Maker should be picked for the boomers as soon as possible. The kid is going to be a star.
He is now rank No. 3 in the 247Sports rankings for 2020.
He is our answer for japan' s Hachimura.

Reply #744849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, maybe in 4-6 years.

Reply #744850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched Simmons in camp for that World Cup and his immaturity was evident. He did things on the court that no one else was capable of, and you could see the vets looking twice, but from what I observed and the tantrum he had when left out, his omission was justifiable.

Green is not Doncic, who is the best teenager in the history of international basketball. And we are not Japan, who lack the depth to challenge Hachimura's selection. Green is also not RJ Barrett, who started for Canada last summer and should make the Canadian team for the WC if he makes himself available. I would like to see him in the squad, because we don't know how he would stack up against those older guys. If he's better than them, he's not too young. If he's not better than them, he's not too young, he's just not good enough (yet). No one is being left out because of their DOB, they're being left out because the selectors don't think they can help us win.

Reply #744851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'0 Mills-
6'3 Mccarron
6'4 Dellavedova-
6'4 Sobey
6'4 Goulding
6'5 Creek-
6'6 Green
6'7 Adel-
6'8 Ingles-
6'8 Cooks
6'9 Kay
6'10 Simmons-
6'10 Bolden-
6'10 Motum
6'10 Baynes-
7'0 Humphries
7'0 Bogut-
7'1 Maker-

-locks

Reply #744852 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

Too many nbl players, anon.
Mathiang, landale and Reath should be considered as well.

Reply #744854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see Moller in the squad, not the team to get up the afl publicity machine a bit, he has a lot to offer.

Reply #744858 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers depth chart:

Boomers talent pool runs deep for shot at Rio redemption

Since I wrote this, Exum is now ruled out of my squad of 24, as is Ryan Broekhoff.

Josh Green has many question marks for mine, not because of his talent, but because he is inexperienced (been playing just agaisnt HS kids) and he has been out injured with his shoulder that has required surgery - he would have missed 2 months at least. While reports are he should eb fully fit by August, we need battle hardened players for the WC.

Reply #744859 | Report this post

Timmah  
Years ago

Why in gods name are people mentioning Moller. Is this a joke i'm missing?

Reply #744861 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Barlow?? Umm

Why not? 6'9 can hit the 3 and is a great defender.

Could come in handy for short bursts

Reply #744862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my 12

Simmons
mills
ingles
Maker
Bogut

Baynes
bolden
Adel
Delly
Green
Creek
Reath

Reply #744865 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Why in gods name are people mentioning Moller. Is this a joke i'm missing?"

+1

Reply #744867 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Also +1 for Moller.
Reath in the final 12 has to be a joke also.

Lemanis gets the last laugh.

Reply #744868 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Yeah I am going to need an explanation for Moller here. What precisely is he good at on a basketball court? Kinda just a longer and more athletic Brendan Teys at this point.

Reply #744872 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'd like to see Moller in the squad, not the team to get up the afl publicity machine a bit, he has a lot to offer.

Purely to re-troll the AFL? Nice!

Reply #744898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the team will be

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Baynes
Bogut

Delladova
Sobey
Creek
Bolden
Maker

Goulding
Kay
Motum
Green
McCarron
Cooks
Adel
Landale

I think the last big spot has the most competition with Mathiang, Froling, Humphries and Barlow missing out.

Really hope no Cadee or Gliddon, both are too inconsistent.

Reply #744913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the team will be

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Baynes
Bogut

Delladova
Sobey
Creek
Bolden
Maker

Goulding
Kay
Motum
Green
McCarron
Cooks
Adel
Landale

I think the last big spot has the most competition with Mathiang, Froling, Humphries and Barlow missing out.

Really hope no Cadee or Gliddon, both are too inconsistent.

Reply #744914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No exum and no broekhoff = not a chance in hell we are winning a medal.

Reply #744915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should just have 3 prospects in squad, very unlikely to make final team but there for future when veterans are getting past it. Moller, Barlow, Goulding maybe be ok now but are they worth it. Chuck in Green and see how he goes. Humphries is in between, need a couple of good years to prove himself, Thon maybe with the skill set he brings but no guarantee being in nba he makes it.
Australia needs to take chances, Lemanis not up to it really, where does he rank internationally. Could he get a good college gig, assistant in nba, top euro position? Atm wouldn't call him a great nbl coach, will players respect him? What style is going to upset higher ranked teams, not what he's producing now.
Of bigger concern is Simmons diva antics, he's going to walk in thinking he's untouchable, how will coaching staff respond as well as veterans. Will Dellavadova and Mills take it.

Reply #744918 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

LOL

"No exum and no broekhoff = not a chance in hell we are winning a medal."

Are you actually serious? What is so special about Exum that losing him is some sort of blow? And Broekhoff? Look, Broekhoff's shooting is going to be hard to replace but if you put a few guys in there who are adequate three point shooters you can make up for the 2 or 3 he was going to hit in his 10-15 minutes per game.

Bloody hyperbole to the max. The Boomers were a point away from a medal with a team that wasn't nearly as good on paper as this one will be. And if you take a look at a lot of the teams heading to the cup, most are going to be undermanned by a few players.

Reply #744919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum is a huge loss, great defender and can get to the rack. Your are replacing him with a green, sobey, Goulding or mccarron.

Reply #744920 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

You can't lose something that you haven't had in 5 years. Want to know who is in the team? Ben Simmons.

Exum hasn't done anything of note in his entire NBA career and gets injured every time he takes a piss. Don't sit here and tell me he's the difference between us and a medal.

Reply #744921 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

The AFL publicity machine won't even bat an eyelid over Moller.

Exum and Broekhoff while handy players are easily replaceable particularly Exum who is yet to have any real impact in the NBA.

Reply #744922 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

At this point you can replace Dante Exum with Bran Stark. As for Broekhoff, yes he's a great shooter. I like his game. He makes a difference on a team. But the team can adjust to that. There are going to be teams missing bigger pieces than us. Spain is without Gasol. Serbia is expected to be without Jokic and Marajanovic. Who knows who will turn up for Canada. A lot of Lithuanian players haven't confirmed yet. Most of the top teams will be equally disadvantaged.

Reply #744923 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

...and if I may add, only the USA will have more depth. Over a tournament-style season, that will be a big factor.

Reply #744924 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Announcement at 11am AEST

Goulding and Kay are in

Reply #744939 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Thon Maker has had to pull out due to his team. That sucks a bit and he wasn't likely to be a big piece but we need to have everyone else on board or we could end up having some problems.

Reply #744943 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Maker is ruled out we still have plenty of depth with Bolden, Kay, Motum etc.

Reply #744945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons might have to find a jump shot real quick for FIBA. Teams will just sag and pack the paint on him. He won't be nearly as effective

Reply #744946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all Simmons has to do is get Patty Ingles Delly open to shot 3s, I don't care if Simmons get less then ten points a game just 10 REBS 2 BLKS 10 12 ast a game

Reply #744948 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

FIBA basketball is definitely not as suited to Simmons' game as the NBA game is, so it will be an adjustment. He's still going to be one of the most talented players on the floor at almost all times though, so assuming Lemanis can put in a half decent system I would still expect him to play a big part of our success (or otherwise)

Reply #744949 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I would be interested to know if the posters calling for Green, Cooks, Adel etc have watched many full games on them.

Not just highlights with break away dunks.

They are definitely talented players but guys like Goulding and Barlow have the experience in these tournaments and are used to playing against grown men.

Reply #744950 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Yeah there's a lot of "he looks more athletic and 'cool', so he is a better player than the gangly white guy" that happens when people assess the options for the team. I trust the coaching staff to have a clue when they make their decisions, the 18 man squad dropping in 15 minutes.

Reply #744951 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Squad is in

Simmons
Delly
Mills
Sobey
Goulding
Ingles
Creek
Bolden
Motum
Bogut
Baynes
McCarron
Gliddon
Adel
Blanchfield
Kay
Landale

Only 17. Guessing the 18th was Thon before he pulled out.

Reply #744952 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

For the record, from those available I'm going with

Simmons/Delly
Mills/Sobey/Goulding
Ingles/Creek
Bolden/Motum
Baynes/Bogut

The last position I can't decide. Kay or Landale if we need another big. Perhaps another wing with Adel? Another shooter?

Reply #744953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield, lol let's hope he plays better than he is in NZ at the moment.

Reply #744954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bj Johnson and that Murdjona guy very unlucky

Reply #744955 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

I think it's time we got rid of Goulding frankly. He's a great offensive player to have but he's a volume shooter and piss poor defender. Not all too sure about Sobey either.

I think Deng Adel makes the team because he can help on the break, is a decent three point shooter, and has NBA athleticism. We are short at the wing positions so I think that's where any extra players should go.

Ben Simmons/Matthew Delly
Patty Mills/Cam Gliddon
Joe Ingles/Mitch Creek/Deng Adel
Jonah Bolden/Brock Motum
Aron Baynes/Andrew Bogut/

And I'm split between Jock Landale and Nick Kay. I also feel like no matter what team we have we're going to be short on three point shooting off the bench.

Reply #744957 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I would take Landale over Kay but can understand if it happens the other way. The depth looks great on this team even though Exum, Maker and Rowdy aren't available.

Against every team not named America, Simmons will be the best player on the court so I'm sure he'll find a way to contribute even without a jump shot.

Reply #744958 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

edit above "not named America *or Greece"

Reply #744959 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Australia needs to take chances, Lemanis not up to it really, where does he rank internationally. Could he get a good college gig, assistant in nba, top euro position? Atm wouldn't call him a great nbl coach, will players respect him? What style is going to upset higher ranked teams, not what he's producing now.

This needs more love. *like*

Reply #744997 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I feel sorry for Perthworld.
More to life than this forum pal.

Reply #745004 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Gees, still a load of crap in that 17.

Goulding isn't even an NBL starter any more, too inconsistent. Might as well name Steindl.

Sobey is just getting his reward for signing with Brisbane.

Reply #745008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take:

Simmons/Delly
Mills/Sobey/Goulding
Ingles/Creek
Bolden/Motum/Kay
Baynes/Bogut

Reply #745022 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Going by Goulding's performance against Perth in the GF series, forget about him being the great white hope. McCarron stepped up because CG43 certainly didn’t.

I’d include McCarron, even though we already have Delly and Simmons at the 1, because he’s a good all-round impact player: defense, speed, passing, effort and shooting.

Reply #745025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where the hell is Froling? And of course DJ gets the shaft again

Reply #745029 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Lol at anon above. You forgot Drmic and Teys.

Reply #745058 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754