Years ago

Breakers hire Dan Shamir as new head coach

European basketball background.

Is he quality?

Topic #45298 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Shamir

2018 Israeli Coach of the Year. He has worked as an assistant under Rick Pitino, Pini Gershon, Ettore Messina and David Blatt.

Reply #745836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This article suggests he would possible coach in the NBA one day: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2493427-european-hoops-notebook-who-will-be-the-next-david-blatt-to-descend-on-the-nba

Reply #745840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's likely a ton of Euro coaches who could've made the NBA but for the language barrier. Unlike the football world, Americans are just not likely to see the value in bringing in a great coach who may require a translator.

Reply #745847 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I like this. The NBL coaching ranks are getting so stale. This and the Kings new coach will hopefully spice things up and introduce new ideas and concepts to the league.

Reply #745860 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, great to see new hires rather than recycling coaches who have had a chance before.

Reply #745867 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

That's one way to look at it.

But its also a pisser that one again we're going down the "Locals aren't good enough" path.

Reply #745870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What locals missed out? Bevo...that's about it

Reply #745874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0, in the past guys like Heal or Anstey would've got these jobs. Bringing in real coaches is good news.

Reply #745875 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't mind it either keeps things fresh. If local coaches were good enough they would already have the jobs. Bevo chose to walk away from his contract at the Hawks it's not like he was fired and is being squeezed out of a gig he had a gig for next season already and quit.

Keep in mind there is huge risk involved for an NBL team to hire an outside coach look at United with DD it's always much easier to hire a local coach.

Assuming this is legit I think it's the right thing for the Breakers to replace Braswell. I thought he looked way out of his depth last season and should have done a lot better with that roster. How poorly Long was used early in the season too was almost criminal.

The new American owners at the Breakers understand the fallacy of doubling down on a mistake, they realise they made a mistake to hire Braswell in the first place and appear to be correcting that mistake. Braswell has got 2 years left on his contract, the final year a team option so only one more guaranteed year which is why they're probably keen to keep him around as an assistant next season because they will be paying him regardless.

Reply #745878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo coaching the uni team to Italy later in year I believe.

Reply #745883 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

The league has needed fresh coaching for a while now. It may cause the other coaches to have to adapt and evolve when being faced with styles they've not dealt with before. We really don't need a Marty Clarke or Brendan Joyce return or something. Rob Beveridge will find a job. And any coach other than him who isn't employed at this point probably shouldn't be.

Reply #745891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would the Hampton signing influenced the coaching decision at all? Some old school won't play rookies no matter what and some don't develop kids. New coach must have proven he can develop youngsters to get job.

Reply #745893 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I like the way the NBL is going, but what about the refs....

Reply #745924 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754