AK-47
Years ago

2019 NBA Draft Thread

2019 NBA Draft is today. Everyone expects it to go Zion, Morant then Barrett... Then the chaos begins.

Expect a lot of trades with teams trying to move up, move back and teams trying to trade back in completely.

The first trade of the day has been done already with Phoenix dumping TJ Warren's 3 year $32M salary to Indiana along with Pick 32 for cash considerations.

A couple of other things I'm interested in:

1. What does New Orleans do with Pick 4? Trade? Take Garland? Does Lonzo stay then?

2. What will Atlanta and Boston do with their picks? They surely won't be using them all.

3. Who takes the punt on Bol Bol?

4. Can the Spurs use their two firsts to move into the lottery and who will it be for? Chances are he'll be a gun.

5. Does Brian Bowen get drafted and if he does, how many mentions does the NBL get?

It's one of my favourite days on the calendar and despite the predictability of the first three picks, the rest of the draft should be very interesting!

Topic #45385 | Report this topic

AK-47  
Years ago

On cue - Atlanta have traded picks 8, 17 and 35 to New Orleans for Pick 4, 57, Solomon Hill and a future second.

*Update TJ Warren's salary is 3 years $35M

Reply #747887 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Suns make another deal!

Suns get: Pick 11 and Dario Saric.

Minnesota get: Pick 6

Atlanta linked to DeAndre Hunter at 4 after the earlier trade.

Fair chance Garland slides to Minnesota at 6 now if the Hunter at 4 rumours are true. I'd expect Cleveland to go Culver/Doumbouya/Reddish at 5 having drafted Sexton last year.

Minnesota would likely be happy with White at 6 as a consolation though. No way both Garland and White are off the board by the time they pick.

Reply #747889 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see if the Pelicans take Reddish at pick 8 that they traded down for. Williamson's Duke teammate and arguably the best spot up 3 pt shooter out of the top rated guys. Would fit nicely with the list they are building

Reply #747890 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Is Hunter really much better than Prince or Bembry? I think the Hawks have something else in mind, but we'll see.

I kinda hope my Cavs grab Reddish at 5 rather than take a flyer on Garland, who I don't think meshes well with Sexton. Sexton showed enough that I think you stick with him for now and look to grab another position, because I don't think Garland is clearly the best available talent at #5 anyway.

Reply #747891 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Reddish sliding thought he would be gone by now

Reply #747899 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Angus,

From what I have heard, the Hawks have liked Hunter for a while and need more depth at the 3 spot, especially after trading Prince. I expect Hunter will be a better shooter and defender than Prince ever was.

Bembry still has a lot of development in him so I expect both he and Hunter will develop together quite nicely.

I am not sold on the Reddish selection at 10 but maybe he will develop into a solid pro.

Reply #747907 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hunter might be, but I think I'd have taken either Culver or Reddish over him. Still not sure it was worth the deal they made.

I'm not really sold on anyone outside of Zion this draft to be honest. Suns selection of Johnson is mind-boggling, but otherwise not a lot of surprises.

Garland has a bit of the Exum thing going on where the less teams have seen the more intrigued they are. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

I like Hachimura to Washington, and I think the Pistons might have gotten a steal in Doumbouya who I thought would go higher.

Reply #747911 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The Hawks have the 2 spot covered so Culver would have been excess to their needs.

I am confused by their selection of Reddish, but you obviously rate him more than I do. I was hoping they would select Doumbouya with their 10th pick so agree, Detroit did well.

Reply #747914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think thybulle has Aussie citizenship.

Reply #747927 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"I'm not really sold on anyone outside of Zion this draft to be honest."

I think RJ Barrett will surprise a lot of people.
Culver and Morant could be alright also.

Kabengele (Nephew of Mutombo) is my diamond in the rough pick. Meant to get drafted in the second round

Reply #747928 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Kabengele (Nephew of Mutombo) is my diamond in the rough pick. Meant to get drafted in the second round"

I spoke too soon. He went 27th to clippers

Reply #747929 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Is bj johnson getting drafted?

Reply #747931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aron Baynes just traded to the Suns.

Reply #747932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bol Bol like a lead balloon atm.

Reply #747935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matisse Thybulle lived in Sydney from 2 to 9 years old

Reply #747940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought he had citizenship but supposably does not after 'clerical error'

Reply #747943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am guess Bowen gets draft by Warriors and send back to the kings

Reply #747944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

50 pick to 60 pick could be coming to Australia

Reply #747945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH I agree with Brunson, think Barrett will be an excellent pro. He was sensational at Duke and maintained his productivity and efficiency when Zion was injured despite being surrounded by non-shooters. A better-constructed roster and he has a great chance to live up to his Canadian Mamba reputation. No reason to think Morant won't be great, either, given comparability of his performance as a sophomore to guys like Lillard and McCollum. A lot of others who will be good rotation players and some of them will improve into more than that.

Reddish at 10th feels about right. Everything he does looks like an NBA move but he spends a lot of time not doing stuff. If he lived up to his tools Duke would have been Champs.

Don't understand Phoenix at all. They could have taken Culver at 6 but dropped 5 spots to take a guy who would probably have been there 10 spots later, and IMO is an inferior prospect to Herro, if what they wanted was shooting. Sucks to be Devin Booker.

Reply #747953 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Well, I didn't see Bowen's name anywhere. Maybe Oz won't be quite so attractive for rising young talent after all?

Reply #747957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's interesting to note that Bowen and Ferguson are similar in size with Bowen's NBL stats superior and Ferguson was drafted 1st round while Bowen wasn't at all.

Reply #747958 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Any time Bowen dribbled the basketball last season I got nervous, and I think the complete lack of handles is what really hurt him. Outside of that I actually think he was better and further along than Ferguson was in Adelaide - more explosive and much better rebounder. Bowen's stock was never as high as Ferguson's I'm fairly sure though. Saw Bowen as a 2nd rounder not too long ago, but Ferguson was basically a projected 1st rounder from day 1 (unless my memory fails me).

Re: Barrett and Morant, I think the odds of them being quality players are very good, and if I had a top 3 pick it would have probably been Zion-Barrett-Morant in that order. I just don't think Morant or Barrett are sure-fire hits like Zion. It's was a draft with a clear top 3, but also a very clear top 1 - Zion looks like a once in 10 years talent, while Barret/Morant look more like the typical top-draft talent you see most years.

Sign of the times that no one took a flyer on Tacko Fall either, not even in the 2nd round.

Reply #747963 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

no aussie get drafted this year, terrible

Reply #747964 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

It's ok dave maybe Josh Green next year.

Reply #747965 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

And Makur Maker the year after.

Reply #747966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bol Bol would be perfect for Cairns

Reply #747972 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Tacko Fall would be perfect for Cairns too - someone who makes Nate look little

Reply #747973 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

did bol bol get drafted ?

Reply #747974 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Yes - The Nuggets

Reply #747976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knicks off season plan not going too well. Draft Zion and sign KD and Kyrie. Crap!!!
Barrets a good pick, but not sure if a meme going around today was factual. Needs : Starters and a bench. Gonna be tough, do they sign KD for future then go after Russell. Or spread the wealth and get some 2nd tier players like Cousins etc. Only thing they could trade is one of the ball boys for Chris Paul, but probably need him. Amazing how such a big market can't get things done, even when they do win drafting Porzingis it turns into a mess.

Reply #748015 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754