Anonymous
Years ago

Tamuri Wigness set to join Brisbane

Per the Cairns Post

Topic #45515 | Report this topic

Smith  
Years ago

Sad if true. Cairns have done everything they could to support Tamuri and his development. No guessing who is agent will be....

Reply #751110 | Report this post

Only sad thing for me is that he's going to be behind 3 guys who can all play point guard. He's a gun and could contribute already.

Reply #751111 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No idea how ready he is from day 1, but yeah, gets to be the backup to the backup in Brisbane? I'd have thought a 1 year deal in Cairns would be the ticket.

Reply #751112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he going to be a DP?

Reply #751116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So not going to college. I wonder how his schooling is?
Been a few lately that their schooling has let them down and then go the NBL path is best.

Reply #751117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or theyre figuring out College basketball fucking sucks?

Reply #751122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No guessing who is agent will be...."

Pardon my ignorance, but who?

Reply #751123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moldy van

Reply #751125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does it "fucking suck"? Don't get paid but a lot of other benefits.

Reply #751126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Needs a season in nbl1 for cairns marlins next year.

Reply #751127 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Anon:

A) The Cairns Marlins play QBL not NBL1
B) Tamuri has already played 2.5 seasons at that level with CoE

Reply #751128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

122, seriously, WTAF is wrong with you?

Reply #751129 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

So does this mean Brisbane can try and dump Cadee on someone else. Please?

Reply #751131 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Cadee will be a solid guard off the bench Ben - where he belongs. He'll have some big nights without the pressure of starting for mine.

Reply #751132 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I wonder if Ben didn't like Cadee's clothing line?

It will be good to see Wigness get some court time but yeah wish he was at Cairns where he could get more opportunity.

Reply #751133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given the consistency of his production at junior level, I like the decision to go to the NBL, and I say that as a big fan of the college pathway. But Wigness is already on par with DI-bound kids 2 years older than him. What can the COE offer him for the next 2 years? He'd probably stagnate and then go to college, which means at least 3 more years of playing and training at a lower level than the NBL. The pro environment should give him a better opportunity to keep progressing his game, so even if he struggles early, he should be a better player by the end of those 3 years than if he went the college route.

I would be curious as to the terms of the contract, and whether any effort has been made to preserve his college eligibility, though. If he does spend a couple of years in the NBL while he finishes school, but isn't making headway with playing time and wants a change of scenery, college would be a valuable fallback.

Reply #751134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk of it being a next Stars contract

Reply #751136 | Report this post

I understand eligibility is going to be a problem for him to go to college. I like the idea of him playing pro, maybe elevating himself to a starter position in the next couple of seasons, and then trying to launch to the NBA, Boomers and beyond thereafter. He has the raw ability. My only concern is his height.

Reply #751138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His height isn't the issue. He’s very turnover prone and is heavily left handed currently. Doesn’t use his best asset (speed) as often as he should. He can get by people easy but is tentative most of the time. Opening up lanes and kicking it to the shooters is his go to.

He is a quality DP and Could be a starter in the nbl within 4 years with the right coaching. Don’t think brisbane is best right now. Think sem would be a nice fit for the moment behind Roberson and Adnam. Offers something different.

Reply #751139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qbl soon to be nbl1

Reply #751140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if that's true about qbl changing to nbl1 what will actually change, if anything, other than the name of the league?

Reply #751147 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Doesn't use his speed? That'll do me.

Reply #751149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#139's knocks on his game seem like all the more reason to get into an NBL environment. He's going to have to play to his strengths to make any sort of contribution early on, and once he earns a bigger role, his weaknesses will be scouted and exploited unless he addresses them. COE, NBL1 level, he can get away with being one-handed and going 80% of his fastest pace because he's still good enough to go past people. In terms of Brisbane vs other teams, maybe Brisbane made the best offer? Maybe they made the only offer (other than, presumably, Cairns)?

If it is a Next Stars contract, that's great for the league. Outside of Mo King there aren't a lot of other NBA prospects in the junior ranks at the moment but if the NBA prospects we do have are prepared to play NBL instead of college, that has to be a good thing.

Reply #751155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it actually feasible to be a DP and then go and play college basketball these days?

Is there a dodgy way of paying the DP guys to go to schools and do clinics that isn't a purely basketball payment?

Reply #751162 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

As I understand it a DP is able to decline payment, thus keeping their college eligibility alive. Though from what most posts say, college isn't an option for him, so its not really a factor.

It would make sense to have him signed as a Next Star. Would be good to see a young local kid reap the benefits

Reply #751174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan ray possible a next star is on twitter talking about the cairns taipan

Reply #751187 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Totally agree with you Ben. Hopefully he hates coming off the bench this season and doesn't take up the player option in the off-season.

Reply #751188 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

He isn't ready to contribute at NBL level yet as against teams in NBL1 with good PG's he struggles and its only tougher in the NBL.

The kids is still a year away from being a year away from contributing to an NBL team.

Reply #751196 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It was on the Bullets website, but now removed:

"A further announcement is expected next week following the completion of the NBL contract approval process. ..... Tamuri Wigness - Queensland."

Brisbane have been looking for a local backup guard since Kendle got injured, so I guess he's it.
I guess he either backs up the 2 spot, or they move Spuddee there, and he backs up the point, or some combination thereof.

I don't know what the rule is with DPs and College, but I know a few from the Wildcats have done it. Dech, now Bowen, and Wani was also accepted before going pro.
Also (and I don't know how Colleges view this) but you can't actually be a professional in most states until you're 18. (Because any contract you sign is legally void and unenforceable) (But I guess they could deem any payment you receive to make you pro?)
That said, I know that you are allowed to receive some payment, but only sufficient to reimburse you for costs.

Reply #751197 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Any avid junior prospect followers here?

I haven't followed his progress but curious to know where Wigness stands on the draft radar. Has he been rated a potential pick at any stage or neh?

Reply #751207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who a better prospect, King or Witness?

Reply #751208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makur Maker and Jayden Stone.

Reply #751214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker ahead of Wigness ahead of King ahead of Stone.

Long term King has the physical tools to move ahead of Wigness. Wigness reminds me so much of Patty: incredibly high volume guys with license to do anything and everything, with speed that is absolutely world class. Like Patty, his trajectory as an NBA prospect and player will depend on his ability to reduce turnovers and hit the 3-ball consistently. As Reality points out, Wigness is probably a year away from being a year away to being an NBL contributor, but he's 17 years old. We've seen NBA prospects struggle to contribute to the NBL as 19 year olds, so the fact that Wigness probably won't at 17 doesn't mean he's got no future.

Stone is not, at this point, an NBA prospect. He is ranked 74th in the ESPN 100, as a 6'3" SG. He might be a high level college player and future pro, but he is not performing at the level of the other 3.

Reply #751230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Wigness homer, I'll be the first to say that King is ahead of him. Being touted as a top 2021 draft guy already. King already has prototypical wing size/length/athleticism and can shoot the 3. Love Wigness but far more question marks given his size. Obviously Wigness is a little older as well. Reality is you have to be a big time initiator to crack the NBA as a sub-6 foot guy as it brings inherent weakness to defensive impact, off-ball utility and positional versatility. I'm praying he has another growth spurt, if that happens I rate him as next best after Maker as well.

As for Stone, it's hard to know what to make of him... as has been mentioned, he seems a little like an undersized SG.. but he can really shoot and is a solid athlete. You would assume, given the archetype, he needs to focus on developing handle/playmaking and becoming a combo type. As far as I can see he's 61st nationally on 247 and a 4* though. Their evaluation on that site as of a couple of months ago says " Should develop into an NBA draft selection". So I wouldn't rule out his chances of being an NBA player just yet.

Should be stressed it's really early days for all these guys as prospects and the next few years will be really telling.

Giddey obviously another guy that needs to be in the conversation surrounding the guys of these classes.

Pretty exciting to think that all these guys could possibly be draft picks, in theory in the same draft.

Reply #751232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olgun Uluc seems to think that the NBL aren't letting teams take him as a next star, hence no announcement yet:

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/basketball/nbl/two-teams-eye-tamuri-wigness-as-a-next-star-but-the-nbl-doesnt-plan-on-including-the-aussie-as-part-of-the-program-sources/news-story/6440f9cdd001e7c0ac69b5fc8f11551a?__twitter_impression=true

Reply #751267 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Wigness' first year of eligibility for the NBA Draft would be in 2021"

Given the over-arching goal of Next Stars, I highly doubt the NBL is going to extend the eligibility to capture a guy who is on nobody's draft radar.

"are willing to bring in Wigness if he was a part of it. One of those teams is also willing to aide the process financially"

So, in other words, they want him as a DP, but his agent wants to get him more money.

If they do, then can the Cats please use the same concession on Wani.

(If above is correct, they have the same agent.)

"The two NBL teams in question — — have chosen not to make use of the Next Stars program"

That in itself is a concern.
Lemanis I can almost understand, he's only interested in potential Boomers, but who is the other team and why don't they want a Next Star??

Reply #751275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get the NBL's stance on this, it's a tough situation, but it would be a pity if this became the difference between him landing a spot in the NBL or not. Especially disappointing if it meant he decided to go overseas as a result.

Hopefully this can work out the best for all parties where he just ends up as a DP/regular spot on some team.

Reply #751290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was hanging out with Jawai at the Marlins game tonight in Cairns. I'd love to see him as a Taipans DP next season but can understand why he'd want to move away and test himself within a different team.. He's been on the fringes of the taipans program for a while and came up through Cairns Basketball under Fearney. I remember seeing him play with the taipans against a college team 2 years ago in a taipans preseason game when he was only 15..

Reply #751299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aren't Cairns struggling to fill their roster? If other teams only want him as a Next Star, Cairns should try sign him with a normal roster spot.

Reply #751303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#232 that's probably a fair argument re: Wigness v King, though the age gap is only a couple of months. But I think the consistency of Wigness' production both within Australia and internationally, since he was 14, means it doesn't register as much when he's sensational. King has emerged more recently, so his strong performances are more noteworthy.

An example of Wigness' sustained excellence working against him when it comes to evals: he's basically the same age as King, but in 2018 put up the following line at u20 Nationals:
20.2 pts / 45%FG / 41%3PFG / 6.5 reb / 4.5 ass / 2.3 stl / 3.3 to
Whereas King a year later went:
15.1 pts / 36%FG / 31%3PFG / 1.6 reb / 2.3 ass / 0.9 stl / 2.7 to

In fairness to King, his u18 campaign this year was a lot more efficient than his u20 campaign. But given he was 10 months older when posting those u20 numbers than Wigness was for his, it's an interesting reminder of exactly how good Wigness has been. King also played with 2 other COE/GA boys on his Qld Sth team at u18s this year and they were still unable to crack the top 4. Wigness' top age u16 performance in lugging Qld North to the title is one of the more absurd individual junior championships campaigns of recent memory.

Reply #751304 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Good to see the NBL willing to change the rules on the fly to get more foreign born players it, but hold the line at any opportunity to provide a chance to a young local player. Great for Australian basketball as usual.

Reply #751478 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Anonymous
Last week

Aren't Cairns struggling to fill their roster? If other teams only want him as a Next Star, Cairns should try sign him with a normal roster spot.

Yeah, There's not one player in Oz or overseas left..Yep you picked it!

Reply #751525 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:46 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754