rjd
Years ago

Boomers offensive system analysis on Youtube

I thought these deserve a new thread. A couple of channels have broken down the Boomers win over USA.

BBALLBREAKDOWN: "Australia Out Coaches Team USA To Snap 78 Game Winning Streak"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOTD-9bNkno

Coach Daniel: "How Australia's Beautiful Offense Schooled Team USA"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X88NdyGcAys

Both of these show appreciation for Australia's offensive system, especially the way it is run, with crisp cuts and perfectly timed screens. Coach Daniel's video even mentions a comparison with failed attempts from the Canada game involving Bolden.

I think the video highlights the importance of knowing the system. A badly timed screen can disrupt and destroy the whole offensive play. It also shows the value of having high IQ players within the system. A player with high basketball IQ and/or knows the system well can be far more valuable in the sets than a more talented player with low IQ or doesn't know the system well enough.

We all wondered why Bolden wasn't starting and wasn't given as many minutes. Bolden looked noticeably lost at times in the Canada series. Bolden certainly showed value later in that series, but his lack of crisp well-timed action may be why he fell out of the main rotation. Then there is Adel. His lack of experience in the system, and if claims are true about Adel's basketball IQ, it could explain another reason why a young talented player simply doesn't fit as well in the team. The system requires everyone on the same page. It's not just about team balance, but also ability to operate within the offensive/defensive systems in sync with the other players.

(Excuse this if I get this embedding formatting wrong.)

Topic #45820 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great watch. Thanks for posting this - particularly Coach Daniels video.

Two questions: 1. What exactly is this system called? 2. Does Lemanis run the same sets with the Bullets?

Reply #758800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes fantastic, and very smart.

Dave,Makur and all his other aliases might want to watch this and learn to shut the f..k up.

Reply #758817 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees that everyone else now also sees how the Boomers do it. Lucky my friend AL has some tricks still up his sleeve, right ???

Reply #758826 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Playing system and team fit can only take you so far. A team of super stars ( USA dream team) would beat a team of mediocre players with better team fit ( nbl boomers ) 100 times out of 100.

If you take Giannis and Hachimura out of the
Greece and Japan team respectively they would suddenly become very average teams and lose most of their matches. Without their star players, their playing systems and " team fit " would not allow them to win consistently. We also see that when Australia rested two of their star players Bogut and landale, they immediately lost to an average team like Germany. Lemanis' playing system did not prevent the loss to Germany because players like gliddon, Barlow, kay were out of their depth. As mentioned before if a team don't have quality star players, the playing system would only take you so far.

Australia have quality star players like Simmons, exum, Thon, Makur, Green, ingles, Bogut, mills, Bolden and they should all be included in the team and allowed time play as unit for the 2020 Olympics.

If Australia wants to medal in 2020, for christ sake no more players like sobey, gliddon and kay please. They are simply not good enough for international competition.

Reply #758859 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great insights!

Here are some takes on Canada ahead of their opening World Cup game.

The Film Room: What the Boomers should expect from Canada in the World Cup

Reply #758862 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Dave, I wrote a heap on your post then decided against it. Then, read yours again and felt I had to respond.

I do not disagree (double negative intended) but feel strongly that you are only looking at the extremes. Here's what I mean.

You wrote, "If you take Giannis and Hachimura out of the Greece and Japan team respectively they would suddenly become very average teams and lose most of their matches."
What happens if you take Pop off the USA team? They will lose lots of games to lots of teams.
And Pop's job is? Team strategies etc, read team-fit.
Will we win again? If Pop doesn't change some things we will.

What I was going on about, before I deleted it, was along the lines of that last point, the Boomers win over the USA. Our players did not suddenly become better than theirs, not even for one, flukey game. Our team-fit was definately the difference highlighted by how some of our players were made to look like superstars while all they were doing was playing their role in the team game. We won.

See what I mean?

Reply #758863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This explains the importance for the Aussie NBA players to get together during the all star break and explain the systems to the younger guys. This could also involve Green who is likely to be picked in the squad next year if available.

Reply #758973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^5.
"If Australia wants to medal in 2020, for christ sake no more players like sobey, gliddon and kay please. They are simply not good enough for international competition." Good NBL players and that is their ceiling.

Reply #758999 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Anon 758999, which of the available players would have you replaced Sobey, Gliddon and Kay with? It's easy to to say player x shouldn't be playing but who should be in the squad to replace them?

Reply #759355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

luv 2 spend hours worrying about players that don't even touch the court

Reply #759357 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

There is an Aussie coach who has been analyzing the Boomers on Twitter. Worth reading the threads that he has tweeted for the games.

https://twitter.com/coachliamflynn/status/1170747084825346049?s=20

Reply #760960 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This is his thread for the Lithuanian game.

https://twitter.com/coachliamflynn/status/1169969667131289602?s=20

Reply #760961 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754