Philippines vs Serbia
Poland vs China
Spain vs Puerto Rico
Russia vs South Korea

Any games take your interest?

Topic #45838 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Not a lot of exciting matchups today. Hope Serbia get up by 150-ish.

Reply #759459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Angus, I must say it is a bit deflating how many lopsided match-ups there are in the early stages. You could nearly say the "real" World Cup starts at the second stage.

Reply #759460 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

32 teams is too many. 24 would be about right and would make for much better competition with fewer blowouts.

Reply #759461 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It was 24 teams but FIBA expanded the WC to 32 teams for this tournament.

Hopefully they take a look at that again before the next WC.

Reply #759463 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think long term it might pay off by giving more teams' experience on this stage, but short term it's only marginally better than the cricket world cup in terms of haves and have-nots at this stage of the tourney.

Reply #759465 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus says u have no idea ! Hours of international ball every nite ! Nostraballmus says bring it on ! Go watch Survivor series 20000 instead peeps go on

Reply #759467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nostraballmus says u have no idea ! Hours of international ball every nite ! Nostraballmus says bring it on ! Go watch Survivor series 20000 instead peeps go on

Wait what? What are you trying to say Nostraballmus?

Reply #759470 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Could only watch 1 minute of the Iran vs. Tunisia game. Had to turn it off it was hurting my eyes.

Was thinking of putting money on the TAB special with Jokic scoring 18+ and Serbia winning by 40+. Paying $3.80 here. Not worried on the margin; but Jokic may have limited minutes in a game like this so could easily see him scoring less than 18. Didn't put it on in the end, we will see.

Reply #759472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Europe and Americas should get more spots.

According to the World Rankings Slovenia (7), Croatia (9), Mexico (14), Latvia (15), Ukraine (19), Finland (21), Georgia (26) and Belgium (31), should be there as the top 32 nations in the world. And all the nations worse than 32nd in the world at the World Cup are from outside of Europe and the Americas. Not suggesting that the rankings are the completely fair (European games are worth more than Asian games for example and New Zealand are considered 38th in the world) but either Europe should get a couple extra slots from Asia and Africa or have some global wildcard tournaments to decide the last spots at the World Cup to increase the quality of participants.

Reply #759480 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

European teams have always been screwed at the WC (and even more so at the Olympics where there are only 12 teams allowed) due to FIBA wanting a truly 'global' spread of teams which has seen too much emphasis placed on the Asia region and even the Oceania region in the past.

Reply #759482 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Just want to see Phillipines get absolutely destroyed.

Reply #759483 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The Filo commentator was so pumped when PHI were up early 9-7 just a moment ago as if it was some sort of achievement.

On second thoughts I guess it is for them.

Reply #759489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was the Filo commentator supposed to sound upset? Our broadcast team gets hyped all game no matter who is winning.

Reply #759491 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

So great seeing PHI getting done over slowly.

Reply #759494 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Hope Serbia put the foot down in the 2nd half though its more likely they'll put the cue in the rack and cruise home

Reply #759496 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Do points carry over to the next group round for games against teams that don't qualify for the next stage? If not, it might give Serbia a reason to be relaxed in this game.

Reply #759498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

50 points just before 3/4 time! Oh they are getting their pants pulled down!!

Reply #759503 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

FT 126-67.

Lovely stuff by Serbia.

Reply #759512 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Now for the other delusion artists called China to lose.

Reply #759514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia shot 75% from the field. The Filos are a complete joke.

Reply #759515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rated Euro teams missed out for this trash.

Reply #759516 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A Shona Thorburn reference was just made in the CHN-POL telecast. LOL

Reply #759517 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Is that another Canadian commentator in the China-Poland game?

Reply #759519 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Canadian ref in the China v Poland game is great!

Reply #759520 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes it is, he loves mentioning that the ref is from Edmonton.

Reply #759521 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If you thought Philippines were bad imagine Indonesia who will participate in 2023!

Reply #759522 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The creative calls are starting to go China's way.

Reply #759525 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

I take back what I said about Canadian ref!

Reply #759528 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

BS call to gift China free throws.

Reply #759529 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That is corruption.

Reply #759530 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a game though!

Reply #759531 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Talk about icing the free throw shooter.

Reply #759532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible reffing at the end in the China Poland game. The wrong foul call and then not awarding the 3 shots. Hoping Poland can steal it now after this delay.

Reply #759533 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Very sad that even at a World Cup China get dodgy calls their way.

Reply #759534 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Overtime. Poland missed a slow of free throws in the fourth quarter including that last one. Costly.

Reply #759535 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

slew*

Reply #759536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoping china lose and get beaten in game 3.

Reply #759537 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Same. They obviously permeate FIBA. Useless governing body who can't even find a ladder as they are too busy giving China calls.

Reply #759538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foul on the last layup in regular time would have been USF in NBL for unduly rough

Reply #759539 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

OT CHN 76-79 POL

Reply #759542 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Rated Euro teams missed out for this trash.

EuroBasket is so much better than this slop. World Cup pool stages are a joke with all of these hopeless teams participating due to affirmative action. FIBA Asia (not including Oceania) is a cesspool - their teams have gone 1-9 so far. Total time wasters.

Reply #759543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you seen some of the netball, cricket, rugby world cups now there time wasters. It will take a bit time but 32 teams from around the world is fantastic and making the game stronger.

Reply #759544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slovenia and Latvia with their NBA players would have been more entertaining.

No offense to the asians here, but damn your teams are awful.

Reply #759545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next WC should be less disparity.

Reply #759546 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Next World Cup is going to be worse since it is being hosted by Philippines with Indonesia and Japan. So Asia will have three auto qualifiers due to being hosts plus their usual allocation? Yes you heard me right - Indonesia.

Asia are full of wannabes who aren't anywhere near the elite level. They should have two places max or combining with Oceania four. That way FIBA don't miss out on the Chinese market plus one other token team would be enough.

Reply #759547 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Some suspicious calls in the advantage of China, only for China to blow it. Satisfying.

Reply #759548 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Some suspicious calls in the advantage of China, only for China to blow it. Satisfying.

*high five*

Reply #759549 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

All I can do is face palm when I see the Gilas play. It's just embarrassing :P

Reply #759551 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I like the concept of the early rounds of the FIBA World Cup being played in multiple countries. But it kind of ruins the qualification process. And it can ruin the balance of the strength of each group. Just look how easy China's path is, given they were designated by design to be in the same pot as USA, Spain and France, which means they were effectively rated as a top 4 team and they got the advantage of being in a group with weaker teams. Australia should've sought hosting the group stages for whichever group they were placed in. We are in a similar timezone to Philippines, Indonesia and Japan.

Reply #759552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If teams like the Philippines are getting in and being smashed by 60 then having 32 teams will not strengthen anything. Reduce the amount of teams to only those who can remotely compete.

Reply #759553 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The only time minnows have their chance to test themselves against the top teams is in this first round of the World Cup. No other time will they play the best countries in the world.

The minnows will have their opportunity against competition closer to their level in the classification rounds.

This first round will have some blowouts; the next group stage will be far more even. The 32 team system increases interest in the World Cup qualification windows. The classification round maintains interest in placings, which can still be significant for the countries that are developing in the basketball world.

I think this is something FIBA have done right. Philippines can cheer if they don't finish last. ;-)

Reply #759554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ys how do you see tall blacks game tomorrow? any answer to Vucevic&Dubljevic?

Reply #759555 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Tall Blacks Vs Montenegro will be live on Maori TV, they may have it streamed on their website as well?

Reply #759560 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I dont mind the 32 teams. But perhaps the last 10 spots should be open for a wildcard qualification process or something which isn't region locked.

6 Asia
6 Europe
6 Americas
6 Africa
10 Wildcard

Reply #759561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow judging by the excessive amount of posting I can only assume Perthworld sits at his keyboard and does little else.
Sad.

Reply #759562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're just now figuring out that Perthworld is a loser??

Reply #759563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whole lot of flopping and complaining in the world cup. Wish they would shut up and just play. Refs are letting a lot of bumping in the paint go hence why some players are getting quite heated.

Reply #759577 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

It seems even massive losses wont shut the Philo fans up on Facebook from popping up everywhere and saying they're going to beat teams they have no business even competing against. Only thing that will truly satisfy me is if they rank absolute dead last in the cup.

Reply #759586 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Phillipines D looked lazy and sloppy on the highlights. Serbia looked like they were training against an Under 16 team.

Senegal look pretty terrible, Aussies will win by 30 if they go easy, or 50 like Lithuania if they play well.

It's silly that great teams like Slovenia and Croatia aren't even competing but minnows get a run.

I don't mind a few qualifiers to build the sport internationally, but I think they have too many. Too many good Euro teams missing out, even with a 32 team cup.

Reply #759589 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

FWIW I thought the China Poland game was reffed perfectly. Literally one of the best reffed games I've seen.

What an absolute choke job by China though. I've rarely seen the 'intentional foul when you're in the lead' thing actually work, and I've seen teams blow it a lot.

Up 3, 20 seconds left. Even if Poland hit a huge shot, you have the last shot with the scores tied. Wrong decision

Reply #759591 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Anyone else find the Kayo mini highlights for these leaves a lot to be desired? Often you'll see half of the next play before they cut to the next highlight. Other times you get a "highlight" of 2-3 poor possessions before a layup

Reply #759597 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Who would have thought a basketball fan would be into the Basketball World Cup!

Reply #759602 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The excuses I've seen from the Phillipines fans has been hilarious:

- FIBA has screwed us over by not allowing Jordan Clarkson to play as well (even know the rules for every team clearly state that only one naturalised player can play - which Blatche takes up);

- The reffing has screwed us; literally the coach said after the game "I just realized there are worse refs than PBA referees"

- We are at a disadvantage because our country is naturally shorter than countries like Serbia - and its unfair. I've seen some serious fans from the Philippines suggest the tournament in future should limit the heights of players to make for an even playing field LMAO.

- This is the C or D team and politics has taken away their ability to put the best team on the floor (ah maybe the PBA just isn't actually anywhere near as good as what you think)

Reply #759604 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Greggo I thought the same about the officiating until the end of the fourth quarter when help-the-host started. There were two clear decisions made poorly to advantage China: the foul made by a Chinese player that was inexplicably called on a Pole and then the non-awarding of three free throws. Also I've never seen a free throw shooter iced that long before... and twice!

Reply #759642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any thoughts about NZ chances?

Reply #759644 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Tallblacks will have to pull a rabbit out of hat to win tonight but it's not impossible.

Reply #759660 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I dont mind the 32 teams. But perhaps the last 10 spots should be open for a wildcard qualification process or something which isn't region locked.

6 Asia
6 Europe
6 Americas
6 Africa
10 Wildcard

I like this, as entry needs to be more merit based. Asia 1-9 (excluding Oceania sub zone) and Africa 1-9 so far for a total of 2-18 highlights how flawed the makeup is.

Reply #759778 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754