Anonymous
Years ago

Is Bogut cooked as a boomer?

Pushing 35 and not the player he once was.
A lock for Tokyo based on reputation or should he prove himself.
Baynes has another go in him and Maker, Bolden and Landale can all play centre.

Topic #45912 | Report this topic

Andrew  
Years ago

Hes a lock for Tokyo based on performance. Great D under the hoop and an amazing passer. He creates so many opportunities for others when he is on the court

Reply #763385 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Not at all. He's still one of the best passing bigs in world basketball. Ideally we'd have a 3rd reliable player to spend time at C so that he doesn't have to play more than 15-20 minutes, but he's still a lock for Tokyo pending health

Reply #763386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Andrew. He is huge for us offensively, and if Lemanis is determined to have the big sag on screens, Bogut's not really causing a problem defensively. He offers a different look than our other bigs and doesn't demand minutes. If his role is smaller in Tokyo, fine, but I can't imagine not wanting him on the bench.

Reply #763387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He gets exploited in the NBL for quickness, but goddamn he certainly is built for international hoops. Exceptional passing and screening during the world cup.

Reply #763388 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he's a bit of a twit but can appreciate that he has little ego in the team sphere. Doubt he'd have any issue as a 10 minute bench player if it came to that. Still useful. I think it's admirable that he's transitioned back to the NBL, shown up for the Boomers when needed, etc.

Reply #763390 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Our best post defender is hardly cooked!!

Was the only one who can even come close to guarding Gasols and Co of the world

Reply #763391 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lock him in for a spot in the 12 provided he stays healthy (and his mouth doesn't get him suspended). Clearly still belongs out there.

Reply #763392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be nice to not have a Sydney Kings frontcourt player embarrass us on the international stage.

Reply #763396 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yeah he's a lock, I watch him some times and he looks lazy and disinterested, wonder how much he could dominate now if he was capable of playing to his absolute best all game. Just don't think his body allows him to unfortunately.

Reply #763397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple answer: No

Reply #763398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Isaac said.

Reply #763399 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes he's pushing it for a baller,
and yes its a bit of a worry
but who ya gonna replace him with

Nobody currently in the running to match his size, strength, and smarts

Reply #763401 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bogut is elite at passing, screening, rim protection and rebounding. Making him valuable to the Boomers and, if he's healthy, he’s still good enough for a roster spot on pretty much any team in any league in the world.

There’s so many beasts in international ball: Valanciunus, Gobert and their ilk. Bogut is a great foil for them. Gobert averaged 12ppg against other opponents and destroyed the USA’s small ball, but averaged 5ppg against the Boomers and barely looked dangerous - often due to Bogut. Valanciunus averaged 15ppg verses everyone else but only scored 7 vs Aus.

Bogut can get exposed on the pick and rolls or by quicker opponents, so there might be certain matchups which don’t favour him. But he’s an automatic selection for Tokyo for mine, as long as he’s healthy.

Reply #763402 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah, Gasol killed us, and once or twice might've been left too open- but mostly Gasol just played an epic game.

Bogut has been so important for this Boomers team over Rio and Tokyo.

I guess, if you want to replace him- with who? Bolden, Maker and Landale might be able to play a few minutes at the 5, but they aren't true 5 men who can matchup on the beasts.

You need two guys on your roster who can do that- in case there's injuries, as there was to Baynes- limiting him to 13 mins vs France.

Reply #763404 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Rio and China* that was meant to say

Reply #763405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Racist

Reply #763408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the only reason he goes is because he is a better option at position 10-11-12 than sobey and gliddon and goulding

Reply #763409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes

Reply #763410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gasol got away with a lot cheap fouls, Bogut got pinged for anything including the foul on Gasol in semi final, which clearly should've gone the other way. He’s been great for the nbl and will be great at next years Olympics if fit and healthy. His biggest problem is he says what he thinks which gets people off side to often.

Reply #763411 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

He's a lock if fit.

What Boomers coaches need to do now, is to plan how he can be used in combinations and sets with others. Elite passer and screen-setter, how do we take advantage of these with Simmons, Exum, Broekhoff on the floor. I think they’re the most likely additions who could benefit from Bogut’s passing and screening. I watched a few games at Rio, and some of his combinations with Mills, Delly, Jingles and Motum were sublime.

His basketball IQ isn’t going down any time soon either.

Reply #763414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone says what they think. It's just that what he thinks is often stupid and ill-informed but he says it anyway.

Reply #763415 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Keep him, even if as a 10-12 player

Reply #763417 | Report this post

Greendogg  
Years ago

The horrendous call that favoured Gasol in the semi gets called correctly and we are in the final against an over matched Argentina, we probably win Gold and then this discussion is completely different...
Bottom line Bogut is the perfect complement to Baynes.. 25 mins of Baynes testing you physically and stretching you out and 15 mins of Bogut picking you apart with his elite vision.. if one or other gets in foul trouble the other can play a few more minutes... What we really need is a more experienced, more physically mature 4 man.. Bolden or Landale are excellent prospects but might be Two years away...
I think the main guy we missed was Exum.. he could of locked down Fournier/Decolo and also helped slow down Rubio.. we were forced to overplay Delly/Ingles and Mills.. Exum would have freshened all of those guys up...
Run it back with Exum, Bolden and Broekhoeff...
Simmons, well that's a discussion for another time... Awesome as it will be, it gets very complex..

Reply #763419 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Correct greendog, same goes for the Claver call down the other end. Stop crying.

Reply #763422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut single handily lost the world cup for Australia, any young players that want to know what the coach means by the ball is sticking just watch Bogut play. Every offence halted the moment he touched the ball, he doesn't necessary look to score but he cant just pass and kick the ball, he's looking for the assist pass, or the 50/50 pass (the hero pass), Delly wasn't much better. Its sad to see but he was atrocious in the 2 losses....

Reply #763426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ are you trolling or just incredibly stupid?

Reply #763429 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I could never stand playing with team mates that were looking for the hero pass. Much preferred those with no conscience that were black holes when they got the ball!

Reply #763436 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Bogut is a lock. If any of the main guys look cooked as Boomers to me, I'd be saying Delly and Ingles. And no one is gonna like that but I said it. Obviously you're going to take both to Tokyo but I feel like they'll continue to underwhelm for the most part.

Reply #763442 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bogut looks like he doesn't have much left in the tank which is why I don't see the Kings making the playoffs but with regard to the Boomers he did an okay job he was a bit of a liability at times but makes up for that for his willingness to play defence, crash the boards, set screens and pass the ball a lot perhaps even too much.

Barring injury he will be there next year plus there isn't exactly anyone on the horizon to threaten his spot. The team will need to start rebuilding and blooding youth after Tokyo anyway.

Reply #763447 | Report this post

Miloš Obilić  
Years ago

Bogut looks aged to me in his body movement. Basketball players though seem to really be able to defy age barriers compared to other sports... look at Scola now undisputed MVP. Others that spring to mind... Nowitzke, Parker, Divac... Olympics is only one year away.

Reply #763448 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees we need ol' Bogus, the Ljubo Milicevic of hoops

A medal in Tokyo would be a fitting end to a fine career

Reply #763450 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Totally agree with Isaac, look at taking him for ten minutes a game (Bogut with his high IQ and 5 fouls to use in that shirt amount of time will be in beast mode) and as the tournament progresses we will see less of Landale (not sold on him yet) and more trust put into Bogut that WILL get us to a gold medal game

Reply #763454 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If any of the main guys look cooked as Boomers to me, I'd be saying Delly and Ingles.
I don't think Ingles relies on athleticism to contribute and will be fine. He's probably around his prime now or just last year, right? Just coming off his best and very decent NBA season: 12/4/6. Excellent stats as a roleplayer IMO.

Reply #763460 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Imagine which way the phantom calls would have gone if the crowd wasn't against us in every game.

Johnson and Brandt destroy him in the NBL. I would rather the non vocal centre.

Reply #763466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But FM, a Japanese crowd won't be against us in every game.

Pretty sure Cotton would destroy Patty if Patty played NBL with the same intensity and effort that Bogut does.

Reply #763471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing with Jingles is he's exactly that....a role player. To expect him to be a main strike guy when he's not that with his NBA team is part of the problem. It's not in his DNA to force the issue like Patty does, yet we all want him to.

Reply #763472 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bogut just won the NBL MVP. In a league that's up there with the best domestic leagues in the world. Then he went back to Golden State and played some valuable minutes for the NBA runner up. Then he played for the Boomers as the main big off the bench, competing very well against Rudy Gobert and Jonas Valanciunus.

Why are we even talking about him being cooked?

He’s a high IQ player, who’s 7 feet tall and not getting any shorter. The only questions are: whether his body will allow him to keep playing, and whether he’s motivated.

He could always suffer a major injury, or just struggle with various niggles and call it a day. Think Chris Anstey whose hip injury ended his career.

As long as Bogut is healthy, he will remain an effective player for many years - just like other bigs with strong fundamentals like:

- Mark Bradtke, who won an NBL MVP at 33 and remained an effective contributor until his retirement at 38.

- David Andersen who killed it for the Boomers in Rio at 36, and played a steller season last year for the Hawks at 38.

NBA examples would include Duncan, Malone, Nowitski, Pau Gasol.

Bigs who rely on high IQ rather than athleticism usually have long careers. Bogut’s only 34. He should have 2 more years as an elite big in the NBL and Boomers representative in Tokyo, then another 2 or 3 years as a solid NBL contributor. If he wants to, and if his body allows it.

Reply #763477 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Plus Anderson Varejao who just had a brilliant FIBA tournament at age 36 for Brazil.

Reply #763478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson should have gone ahead of Barlow. His extra length could have been useful even at the four.

Reply #763482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would be a nightmare to coach with him talking in front of the coach every time out and sooking the way he does

Reply #763519 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"He would be a nightmare to coach with him talking in front of the coach every time out and sooking the way he does"

Everyone talked in front of Gaze in time-outs. Have you read what his past coaches say about him? Did you read what Kerr said about him recently?

Reply #763522 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

While he didn't see all their games, Nostraballmus didn’t see one Spanish, French or Argentinian player talking over the coach in timeouts.

Reply #763547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is good for 10mins or so I reckon.
Loves himself.
A shame Australia haven't put much effort into future Baynes/Bogut replacement.

Reply #763959 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754