Isaac
Years ago

Bogut disciplinary proceedings from World Cup outburst

Email from BA just now:

Basketball Australia advise that Andrew Bogut has received notification of disciplinary proceedings from FIBA concerning an incident that occurred at the World Cup on September 13th .

He has been advised that he has until 8:00pm (AEST) on the 25th of September to provide his statement .
No comment from BA beyond that.

Topic #45949 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does he have to attend in person? At risk of a heavier penalty if he travels to Spain and the hearing is in Switzerland.

Reply #764473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit pathetic they're punishing him for something said when emotions were high sure fine him if he'd done it over Twitter but seriously..

Reply #764476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA should have a look at the replay and shut the f..k up.

Reply #764479 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Bit pathetic they're punishing him for something said when emotions were high sure fine him if he'd done it over Twitter but seriously..

What Bogut was inferring is very serious and speaks to the integrity of the whole competition.

'Emotions were high' is not an excuse.

Imagine if he had done that in an NBA game, what would you expect the reaction from Adam Silver to be?

I wish they had won, but he should be made to explain his actions.

Reply #764480 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

The rest of the Boomers managed to keep their emotions in tact and not fly off the handle like Bogut did... I think he should be fined, it makes the rest of the team look bad when he carries on like that.

Reply #764486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker, you say what he said was serious and it is but why should he be punished for speaking the truth?

Mack Horton saying Sun Yang is a drug cheat is the same thing, he's stating fact but the corrupt governing bodies don't like it and just want to line their pockets.

Reply #764492 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Mack Horton has not accused FINA of being corrupt. Bogut did, albeit obliquely.

Truth will be no defense.

Reply #764494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut accused no one, he made a hand gestures. If I recall the Lithuanian coach had a real go for no please explain. It's a total wank.

Reply #764497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA are a joke of an organisation, its their fault due to scheduling that Team USA trotted out the D team

Reply #764498 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's going to be tough to defend if Bogut has to prove that FIBA is biased/corrupt.

Reply #764499 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"If I recall the Lithuanian coach had a real go for no please explain. It's a total wank."

I was wondering if FIBA did anything about the Lithuanian coach's comments. He was far more direct and made comments in an official media gathering. If anything, it seems like his comments made an impact as the referring appeared tighten in subsequent Australia games, culminating in 13 offensive fouls called in the bronze game.

Reply #764501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're not just talking about the "mo money" hand gesture - we're talking about his outburst leaving the game. Bogut is stupid opening his big mouth which regularly gets him in trouble, hence why he was heckled and booed the entire competition.

Bad representation of Australia. You would think after the Philo game (Kickert's actions) we would be treading lightly and acting with good grace.

Bogut needs to just shut up - fine and suspend his ass and see what the NBL will do.

Reply #764505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why should he be punished for speaking the truth?"

What did Bogut say (verbally or through a gesture) that was truthful?

Reply #764506 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bogut implied the refs were on the take with that money gesture with his fingers. Lets not play dumb here just because he's one of us, he would get a serious fine and suspension for that in the NBA.

Reply #764507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought we were the nation of free speech. Longley was quite outspoken and no one having a go at him. Typical tall poppy system.

Reply #764508 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus loves Oz and the Boomers but what Bogie did was uncool and deserves sanction

Reply #764515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referring to yourself in third person is a much bigger crime than anything Bogut has done, past or present.

Reply #764520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on sanctions from the Australia Philippines brawl should not add up to much.

Reply #764522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what would you have us believe?
That China & FIBA somehow managed to find the only tree officials, in all of Italy, Brazil, and Mexico, who aren't on the take? ROFL

Maybe FIBA should investigate why the Host Nation was allowed to orchestrate a campaign of harassment & intimidation against one of our players?

Whilst I know he was probably implying something worse, the simple fact is that FIBA is ridiculously Eurocentric, and they really should not have had an Italian reffing a semi-final with a European Team.

Reply #764523 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus will refer to himself how he well pleases. At least he's Got a name to refer to himself with Anon.

Bogut and his boys would do well to cut the whinging and have a good long hard navel gaze says Nostraballmus, coaching team and administration included.

Nostraballmus also says that two seconds with your head out of your arse and you’ll understand that your Italian mates are not falling over themselves to do their French confederation mates a favour. Thats right, refs look after teams from their region, that’s why the Filipino ref helped us out in the bronze game.

Reply #764533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The intense relentless ongoing booing which fiba and the local organisation allowed probably didnt help. The video director would deliberately put bogut up on the big screen to further stir up the crowd.

Reply #764534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The racism Bogut copped in China was disgraceful. He didn't know his place as a non-Chinese person, he had to comment on Chinese affairs and he was hounded because of it. I'd say in a few years the CBA will admit this was the case and apologise to Bogut.

Reply #764536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly we should have had Kickert Nad Maker in the team.
That way when things got close Kickert could have dropped Gasol with an Elbow, and Thon could have taken out Rubio with one of his patented flying kicks. Let Luc lose on their coaches with a couple of chairs, and by the time its all settled our guards have had a nice rest

Reply #764539 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Italian mates are not falling over themselves to do their French confederation mates a favour"

They were referring to the semi-final against Spain.

If referring to FIBA's referee selections for the bronze medal game, how should we describe FIBA's decision to select a Filipino ref? FIBA taking the piss?

Reply #764541 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"FIBA is ridiculously Eurocentric"

There might be arguments to support this, but as far as the number of qualification spots for Olympics/WC are concerned, Europe is the most unfairly treated region given the strength of the European national teams.

Reply #764542 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus says FFS just get over ourselves, it's ok, we got beat by two good teams who just executed better than us under pressure. It’s happened before with this group a number of times and will happen again if nothing is changed.

Reply #764544 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Nostraballmus

Keep referring to yourself in the third person. Keep allegorising your important lessons for the riders of the pine (as most of us are/were).

It's both entertaining and educational.

Those who object under anonymity are simply the latest generational iteration of those who have always thrown rocks and hidden their hands. What is written in the dark will forever be brought into the light by subsequent learnings.

Reply #764563 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe FIBA should investigate why the Host Nation was allowed to orchestrate a campaign of harassment & intimidation against one of our players?
Yeah, like the 36ers were responsible for Powerhouse chants of "Barlow, Barlow". Bogut invites that response and would claim to relish it.
The intense relentless ongoing booing which fiba and the local organisation allowed probably didnt help.
"allowed" - ha!

The racism Bogut copped in China was disgraceful.
Are you serious? There are Chinese-on-Chinese brawls in Australia over Hong Kong. They'd view it as patriotism.
he had to comment on Chinese affairs and he was hounded because of it.
"he had to" - how so?

Reply #764568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, I'm guessing the last two comments you responded to were an attempt to compare Bogut's treatment to the Adam Goodes saga.

Reply #764572 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

So was Bogut the victim of racism at the hands of the the Chinese fans?

Perhaps Adam Goodes can reach out and explain to Andrew that the booing was racist becuase that is the only reason people would boo

Reply #764576 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Reality fast become the most obvious bigot in Australia haha

Reply #764582 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Isn't this fairly cut and dry? You can't accuse refs of being corrupt in any sport. End of story. Emotions may run high, and there may have been some rough calls, but still...

Reply #764587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why call yourself Reality when you are so far removed from it?

Reply #764588 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Ha yes it is cut and dry Dave Q. He deserves a fine or a small suspension. I like Bogut and that much is clear. He needs some kind of punishment, albeit quite small and arbitrary.

Some people just like bringing macro political arguments into everything because pOliTIcal CorRecTneSS GoNe mAd!!!

Reply #764589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are you serious? There are Chinese-on-Chinese brawls in Australia over Hong Kong. They'd view it as patriotism"

Patriotism is a great breeding ground for racism.

Reply #764597 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Bogut has never been one to show much EI and this recent outburst is further proof of that. The guy behaves like an immature child. He is an embarrassment to himself and the Boomers when he carries on like that.

Reply #764618 | Report this post

Bagman  
Years ago

"I'd say in a few years the CBA will admit this was the case and apologise to Bogut."

Gee I have read some stupid comments on this board and that is right up there.

Reply #764624 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think there are any official FIBA games between now and the Olympics, so any suspension would be served there. Hopefully he finds some humble pie to apologise and get a reasonable outcome.

It was a silly thing to say. I've heard accusations thrown in European basketball about refs who have been allegedly 'bought' by various club sides to get some key calls their way - some guys who have played over there swear it's true, I can't vouch for it myself - but that is very different from a governing body actively swaying outcomes (aside from the draw, which is their opportunity to push things in the direction they want).

Reply #764625 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't think there are any official FIBA games between now and the Olympics
There's an Asia Cup qualifying window in February.

Reply #764630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think there is. Olympics only 2020.

Reply #764635 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus appreciates UseTaHoop's respect. Right back at ya UseTa.

Nostraballmus wonders why the administration and the leader of this group have been deathly quiet on the issue ? Nostraballmus can only see this silence as both parties potentially condoning the behaviour and the views expressed. Do they agree that the referees were paid to influence the result in Spain's favour ? I'm sure FIBA are wondering too. Nostraballmus acknowledges that perhaps representations have been made in private or directly and if so that is awesome but the player's allegations are still hangin out there like a big motza ball.

Nostraballmus is disappointed mostly for the Boomers and Aussie FIBA referees of tomorrow, that we seem to have no view on publicly and openly calling referees corrupt.

Nostraballmus wonders if anything was done by any of our 17 support staff to support and manage a clearly upset player immeadiately after the game. Could this have prevented the further 'FIBA Headquarters' outburst ?

Has the campaign been reviewed ? What were the outcomes ?

Nostraballmus suggests these are the real questions

Reply #764638 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

As per koberulz post, Australia play NZ and Hong Kong in February 2020, in the 2021 Asian Cup qualifiers.

Reply #764647 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

" Nostraballmus can only see this silence as both parties potentially condoning the behaviour and the views expressed."

Given the disproportionate punishments that FIBA has previously handed out to Australians, such as the Goulding suspension, perhaps BA is concerned that admitting any guilt would be inviting a punishment. It might also suggest that their assistant coach spoke out inappropriately, which might lead to a fine.

If BA issued Bogut a 1-game suspension, which Bogut probably wouldn't play anyway if it's for the Asia Cup qualifiers, would Nostraballmus expect that FIBA would accept that as his full punishment?

Reply #764675 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Poor example. Good basketballer, well above average. Just not a great example for those that follow.

Reply #764676 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees your point rjd. Eloquent as always.

Nostraballmus sees that no local condemning or action on this behaviour says to FIBA that the behaviour is supported. This may accordingly incite a harsher penalty. FIBA will feel The game can't have the character and values of its elite referees besmirched and may seek the provide an example deterrent here.

Admission of guilt ? Sounds to Nostraballmus like you think there is the possibility of innocence? So Are you saying to Nostraballmus that maybe Bogie is right ??? Well if so at least you are stating a position rjd, go you.

Reply #764677 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

No, but if the Lithuanian coach can get away with his remarks, who knows. FIBA works in mysterious ways.

Reply #764678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nostrilballmus thinks he is funny.
He is not

Reply #764680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous agrees with the assessment above regarding Nostrilballmus. Anonymous finds Nostrilballmus knowledgeable, but Anonymous finds his third-person mantra to be nauseating, so Anonymous avoids his posts. This is a shame. As Anonymous said, he does find Nostrilballmus to be knowledgeable, but does not find it enough to sway him from the garbage side of things.

Reply #764681 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"As per koberulz post, Australia play NZ and Hong Kong in February 2020, in the 2021 Asian Cup qualifiers."

That's good news! At least gives a two-game buffer for any suspension. You never know with FIBA, no consistency or accountability with their suspensions.

Reply #764696 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees that Anons avoids Nostraballmus's posts but comments on them nonetheless and he looks forward to continuing to read Anon's comments from avoiding them

Nostraballmus senses from the halls of FIBA an inexplicably empathic outcome emerging on Bogie's outbursts.

Reply #764701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nostraballmus Here's a fun fact
Did you know third person speech is an indication of dissociative identity disorder (DID)

Bogut has had a big season and a few anticlimactic finishes that have made him a bit cranky. Hopefully it’s just a slap on the wrist and then we can all move on from this.

Reply #764705 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Yep Nostraballmus knows all including knowing he got dat affliction and many others

Now don't talk about Bogie and wrists, you'll give 'Ol Nostraballmus nightmares of a young Bogie swinging from a hoop and never being the same again

Reply #764718 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

1. Bogut accused the Referees of being on the take. I don't care the sport that's a fine.
(Longley only said that Spain got lucky) it's two different things.

2. The Chinese booing is not racist.(there was nothing racist said to my knowledge). Just people letting Bogut know what they feel about his opinion on their star.
If someone called Shane Warne a drug cheat I feel there would be some blowback for that player when they were in Australia.

Reply #764890 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

People calling drug cheats, drug cheat shouldn't be booed lol.

England booing warner and smith and calling them cheats won’t get them booed over here when they’re next in Australia.

ReWarne, id like to know the logic behind people assuming he was trying to achieve performance enhancement from drugs when he was a chubby smoker beer chugging spin bowler. If he wanted performance enhancement he’d just cut the junk lol

Reply #764894 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

KET I mean drugs is always going to be the easier way to get results.

He was found to be a drug cheat. I'm not sure how this is any different to Sun? And sort of negates your first line.

Note Sun yang took a drug trimetazidine that was only banned for 4 months when he took it. A drug that he was talking due to a heart condition and he had the right to file for a medical exception which would've made it legal but didn't because he didn't know it was illegal. And was prescribed it by my doctor..

Probably a better excuse than I wanted to be skinny. And I just took it from my mum with no doctor clearance.

Reply #764967 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

KET I mean drugs is always going to be the easier way to get results.

He was found to be a drug cheat. I'm not sure how this is any different to Sun? And sort of negates your first line.

Note Sun yang took a drug trimetazidine that was only banned for 4 months when he took it. A drug that he was taking due to a heart condition, and he had the right to file for a medical exception which would've made it legal, but didn't because he didn't know it was illegal. And was prescribed it by his doctor.

Probably a better excuse than I wanted to be skinny. And I just took it from my mum with no doctor clearance.

Reply #764969 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:47 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754