robt
Years ago

NBL v NBA (Series in General).

We all like what's happening in this series but I can't help thinking if there is not more to get out of it. Asit stands now, we know who's going to win and if they don't, then we will have all sorts of "only pre-season", "a fluke", type of responses.

If we were to send our top 4 teams from prev season (as a trophy for good performance prev year), and they were to play their bottom 4, (sort of like their lottery) we may have a real contest as well as the "show".

Now if we win some games, maybe we can say that we do belong in the lower half of the NBA. Like all the teams in the lower half of the NBA. Much better than no REAL chance.

I feel sure that no team wants the chance of losing to teams from lower leagues. The top teams in the NBA can win without real effort. The specticle suffers when it's easy for 1 team. The lower teams would genuinely need to try, to beat top teams from down under. Much more entertaining and everyone gets something out of pre-season showcases.

Many of us will say what about the promotional value of playing against the world's best. Well, for committed fans the promo value is minimised, we watch anyway. The non basketball fan, whom we would want to attract to grow our sport, would not know or care if we play Detroit, New York or the Harlem GTs.

The real hurdle will come from the NBA as they would not want any team (in the NBA) to be bettered by anyone else (not in the NBA).

Likes and Dislikes please!

Topic #46067 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

The lowest of NBA teams is still far better than the best of NBL teams.

And that's ok. That isn't me bashing the NBL. The NBL doesn't need to be as good as the NBA or even close. It only has to be the best basketball league in Australia.

Reply #768059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is a good concept the way robt has laid it out. Possibly even just top two v bottom two in a round robin series. Nbl to cover the cost instead of clubs.

Reply #768063 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"It only has to be the best basketball league in Australia."

That's a pretty low bar to set. How far could the NBL fall in standard and still be the best league in Australia? It need only be one or two okay players better than an NBL1 team. I don't see that being the only requirement of the NBL if you want a league that actually becomes financially viable. It's already the best league in Australia and it's barely viable.

"I think it is a good concept the way robt has laid it out. Possibly even just top two v bottom two in a round robin series. Nbl to cover the cost instead of clubs."

People who say this don't understand how these games are run. The NBA teams themselves put their hands up and say "sure, we'll take an NBL team." Seems Doc Rivers from the Clippers had a part in making the Melbourne match up happen. For a series to run as you suggest, it would have to be agreed upon by the NBA as this being a viable concept for a series. The bottom NBA teams would have to see the series as not some sort of insult. It would seem a bit of a booby prize and a series that no NBA team would want to be a part of because what it would say about them "you're only here because you're bottom two!"

"Now if we win some games, maybe we can say that we do belong in the lower half of the NBA. Like all the teams in the lower half of the NBA. Much better than no REAL chance."

I'm a huge NBL fan, as people know, but no, we do not belong in the lower half of the NBA. There is a small chance we "could" beat a team from there, and we've come close to beating NBA teams before, (1 point OKC, we beat Clippers for 3 quarters, NZ has been close before, etc), but we're not at a point where we could realistically compete consistently.

Reply #768066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome way to get recognition for the NBL and the players.
Maybe we will see nba teams coming to Australia for pre season soon after what The clippers coach was saying yesterday.

Reply #768068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is certainly less hype around the NBLxNBA this year.

Here's why:
- USA vs AUS games
- FIBA World Cup
- Hype of next stars starting in the NBL
- Teams going undermanned
- Timezone difference in games
- It's now the third year in a row
- Conflicting schedule with round 1 of the NBL

Yes, it's great to get the exposure for the league and our players - but maybe, this year would have been a good year to give it a break. But I also understand you don't want to lose momentum with these types of things.

It's great, but a challenge for teams going. Look at how poorly Adelaide played against the kings on their return, and the possibly of Melbourne going 0-3 to start the season.

Reply #768072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaida played well but had no depth like the griz had
Over 100 scouts seen nz train and the team played well together in the process turned a few heads.
Doc Rivers as well as other coaches like playing against NBL teams because they play different to nba teams and better than other foreign club teams.
Doc Rivers would like to play nba pre season games in Australia, just that alone makes the NBA v NBL games worth wile
Melb played really well against the clippers and almost stayed with them till the end

If the NBL doesn't go to play nba teams some other leagues from around the world will as they already do. It seems to work how it is we just need to see some nba teams in Australia to make it even bigger in the future.

Reply #768075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If NBA teams are happy to continue doing it, the series will continue. The exposure is simply better than other alternatives.

The biggest issue of this year's series was that the games weren't being shown on FTA or Foxtel - needing to stream it eliminated the opportunity for random punters to happen upon it.

The competitiveness of it would only become an issue if it were consistent 50+ losses in the ilk of Adelaide v Utah.

Reply #768077 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Well, I thought it was a concept that had kinda run its course, for now anyway. Taking Adelaide was always a dumb idea. This Adelaide team sucks, let's be frank. Even if you take jet lag out of the equation they were always gonna get smashed. The games to follow were a lot more competitive but I'd be interested to know whether the NBL has any stats that say that this series brings anything tangible to the league.

Reply #768079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, to be honest I think the Timing of the NBA x NBL just doesnt work.

Having NZ start their season late, Melb flying in between Rd 1 and 3. It's just not feasible.

It would make more sense for NBA teams to fly here. They were able to fly to China weeks before NBA season starts so no reason why they can't fly here perhaps a little bit earlier.

Getting them and $$ required to make it happen I can appreciate would not be easy.

Given the level of interest this yr, I don't think it's as enticing as previous years, add to that most of the drubbings we have been seeing it's of little benefit to our league.

Reply #768143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The world championship made it harder this season re time factors but golden state v kings could sell out the stadium twice. Now I'd like to see that!!

Reply #768144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, whilst there may be some benefits to this, i dont think they are worth the expense or disruption to a teams season.

If I were the NBL or a club, I would not go back unless the NBA paid for the NBL clubs, as the NBA clubs can afford it much easier than the NBL clubs, and I would make the timing a week to 2 weeks earlier so its not in the middle of the season.

Whilst im sure its a great and fun experience for players and coaches.

I doubt it brings in any extra money (sales of tickets or merch or sponsors) whilst it would cost the clubs or the NBL significant money that teams really dont have to go.

Reply #768145 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Everyone is missing the point of this exercise - it's a means to an end in finally getting NBA teams to come and play games in Australia. Once a team hit our shores it is going to be huge for the sport here. A relationship is being formulated between the NBL and NBA which three years ago didn't even exist. Do not underestimate LK.

Reply #768148 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It would make more sense for NBA teams to fly here. They were able to fly to China weeks before NBA season starts so no reason why they can't fly here perhaps a little bit earlier.
China has billions of dollars to throw at the NBA. Australia does not.

If I were the NBL or a club, I would not go back unless the NBA paid for the NBL clubs, as the NBA clubs can afford it much easier than the NBL clubs, and I would make the timing a week to 2 weeks earlier so its not in the middle of the season.
So you want the NBA to pay for something that brings them no benefit, and overhaul their schedule to accommodate it? Good luck with that.

Every four years there's a season with no FIBA windows. That means the NBL season can be two weeks shorter. In those years, the season should be delayed by that two weeks and the NBLxNBA games played during that period.

Then it's over and done with before the regular season starts for the NBL, more teams can go, and it's on less frequently so the novelty factor doesn't wear off. Because at the moment it seems like there aren't very many people at all who care about the series, compared to the past two years.

The fact that we're having to put up with a feed from the big screen tacked on to a radio broadcast because the game isn't televised anywhere just makes it worse. A TV broadcast needs to be a minimum requirement for future games, even if it's only televised in the US and is then streamed here.

Reply #768166 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

OMG & Thanks all. I have to agree with all above, which sounds crazy. But that's just how hard it is to put a series like this together.

There are pros and cons for the series and how to change it (if, at all). Reckon there's a plan that we can all love? No, me either!

Real problem is I can't see what the NBA get out of it. Maybe just a reward for our buying so much of their merch.

Reply #768187 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

NBA teams get to play a game against a solid international team that will play hard against them, yet is not so great that the NBA teams can't run their bench on them and get a look at their depth.

Reply #768190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^yep

Reply #768198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is what 1 good dunk on a NBA team can do.

James Harvey fan
A few hours ago

Abercrombie extends to 2022
Per NZ Breakers Twitter. This will take him through to age 35 iirc

Reply #768303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:02 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754