Anonymous
Years ago

Is there enough NBL talent for a Tasmanian team?

IF Tas have a team in the next two years? is there enough talent for 10 teams plus 10 or more players retiring

(Mod: Improved topic title from the brilliantly helpful, "Question".)

Topic #46119 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the NBL1, Who is NBL ready?

Reply #769340 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Just make it a 4 import league

Reply #769343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #769344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If more Euro talent can be lured home. Brandt, Motum etc plus a handful of college guys eg White or Vasilijevic that will help.
The names I mention don't necessarily have to go to Hobart just be in the NBL to help strengthen player pool.
Also make sure they get a next star player.

Reply #769345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is plenty. That's the biggest issue, not enough teams in the NBL

Reply #769346 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The talent is not the question, it's the financial viability. It's not worth having a great NBL if teams can't stand on their feet.

The AFL has done well because it has the back room financials all sorted. they are the benchmark in Aussie sport.

The talent is always there for as many teams as the NBL wants. At the moment the AFL soaks up all the Aussie talent for tall athletic player as it has the cash to splash around. One of my mate's brothers was on the Crows list but never played a game. He was drafted as an injury cover for one of their star players and basically pulled +$150K in the seconds. He was a handy basketballer.

The NBL may never be able to match the cash the AFL offers, but the NBL can always try to catch the "offcuts" of players who don't quite make the grade of AFL, or "re-divert" them back to NBL.

The AFLw has been outstanding in stealing female players from other sports to their competition.

Reply #769348 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, it will be fine. There are prospects or reasonable rotation players getting barely any minutes (Harry Froling playing under 15 MPG, for example).

Reply #769351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL could have enough for 12 teams comfortably with in 5 years.
3 imports and a next star is a good start for a new team.
Then we have imports becoming Australian citizens.
Then we have Australians playing in Europe.
Then we have Australian players retiring from the nba.
And by then we will have a lot more development players coming through.
Not to mention all the nz players.
The biggest challenge is to get more Australian NBL fans and more pay for the players.

Reply #769355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afl fund the suns, the giants and a few Melbourne teams, Sydney and Brisbane get money as well. It's a big sport in Australia and they have good advertising revenue but lots of sides funded by the afl. No wonder the crows are going so badly if they are funding bench players for 150g.

There is talent in Australian basketball, some guys just got be given a chance.

Reply #769356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL doesn't need afl rejects it needs young players who dream of playing in the NBA like their hero Lamelo ball or RJ

Reply #769357 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'm not so sure that we do have the talent for another team. I mean, have a look at some of the guys getting minutes as it stands. You'd want to up the import quota and send a hoy out to some of the better college guys I think. As for the minutes Frolling is playing, he's not a starter level NBL player and to pretend he is is silly, and to make him one would only stand to erode the standard of play.

Reply #769360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling could be but you don't know till he’s had a chance. Playing behind Johnson and Griffen is good and as it should be but if he was given a starters spot I think he could step up.

Reply #769365 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not sure the talent is there either to justify another team but Harry Froling would start on a number of teams and probably do well he's playing behind DJ one of the best centres in the comp. If a big galoot like Hodgson can start on a playoff team Froling would have no problem starting on most teams.

Perth? He would likely start over Hunt.
Brisbane? Would start over Hodgson
Cairns? Better balance if he started and Oliver at natural PF spot
Illawarra? Probably start over Ogilvy
SEM? Would start over either Pineau or Benson
NZ? Toss up between him and Loe
New Tassie team? Likely

Adelaide, Sydney & United the only teams you couldn't start him.

Reply #769366 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think you guys are massively overrating Frolling. He could develop into a starter but he really isn;t there yet.

Reply #769391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a 4 import league now.

Reply #769412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Jack Toft said.
The only issue is money. There is plenty of talent.

Reply #769414 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Abundance of talent now. Not an issue. Issue is that some potentially great players are looking elsewhere including AFL when there are less opportunities for younger players.

I think 10 teams is the ideal number.

Reply #769442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are plenty of big men that you could lure home with the right $$$, but there is clearly a lack of guard talent available.

The only two clearly up to it would be Dejan Vasiljevic (graduating senior) and Will McDowell White.

Are any Kiwi guards or other Australians up to it on the perimeter?

Reply #769466 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Wait until the NBA buys the NBL and then watch how the AFL reacts to that.

Crazy idea, will never happen right!

Reply #769507 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think you need only look at the lack of depth for the "have not" teams to see this will be an issue. A lot of Cairns, Adelaide and Illawaraa's bench would become starters after another team or two unless we increase imports. How many minutes do you want for Jarrad Kenny and Teys and the like really?

Reply #769509 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would the Cairns and Illawarra bench players become starters before the Melbourne and Sydney bench players?

Reply #769511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to clarify the player didn't get 150k in a year. Would of been over 2/3 years

Reply #769553 | Report this post

Curltey  
Years ago

NBA buying the NBL, that's a crazy idea that may actually happen, as long as they don't turn into the G-League 2.0

Reply #770049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 Imports nbl ready
Isaac turner
Najeal young
Deondre McWhorter

Reply #770092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 imports NBL ready...none

Reply #770106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac Turner lmao, guard his left hand and stopping him going left and he's finished. His defence is woeful. If he does score you twenty you are still ten plus behind.

Reply #770123 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 am, Thu 16 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754