robt
Years ago

Will Weaver Earns $500 Fine, Suspended! BUT...!

This morning, when I heard the above on the news, my first thought was that that was a small, slap on the hand for his behaviour.

Then I thought, probably because he has such a healthy reputation, the Boomers love him etc. that the tribunal went easy on him.

Then I thought, he is so likable, that for him to actually blow his stack he probably is truely infuriated. What got him so mad? A number of "bad" calls? I doubt I. Bet he has experienced hundreds, even thousands of games with bad calls. But this time, he blows his stack. Could it be that Weaver had a genuine beef with the reffing?

This is on the news now, and no mention at all of Weaver's side of the issue.

Weaver does seem like the sort of coach who epitomises the behaviour we want to promote. We have Joey and Gleeson doing their thing and every now and then, they tip over the line and get hit with a penalty. We expect that. But Weaver?

For Weaver to spit the dummy like that, I think that that also should be looked at, and appropriate measures taken. This is an issue where I believe that the ref(s) should/may have something to answer for too. Will that outcome also be made as public or will it all be kept under the rug?

I know that the protocols of sport must have some defence for the law-keepers but even the state and national law-keepers (cops, to you and me) get pinged if they bugger up. Are our NBL law-keepers (refs) not responsible for their performance?

Weaver or ref(s), who do you support (hard to decide without Weaver's side of the issue being aired.)?

Topic #46266 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

In summary: the refs made Weaver cry, so robt wants an inquiry.

Reply #772625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was nothing genuine about Weaver's theatrics. It was a laughable pantomime. I dont care if he did it to inspire his team but the call that supposedly infuriated was barely a foul that had no impact on the play so he shouldn’t have any beef with the refs at all.

Reply #772627 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He intimated in his press conference that reffing playing away games was in issue he was aware of.

Reply #772629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the call that supposedly infuriated was barely a foul that had no impact on the play"

The way NBL refs are calling it this year it should have been a USF.

Reply #772631 | Report this post

Will posted on Twitter about a productive discussion with the NBL in the aftermath.

I wonder if Joey got to have productive discussions with the NBL or did they just go straight to making hella funny memes out of him?

Reply #772646 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

I'm with Weaver. Anything that might make the reffing fraternity take a look at what's being called and what's not can only be good in my opinion.

Way I hear it Weaver's pressure gauge reached release point with a non-call on a push that was the latest in a long line of missed/no calls that I gather included just a few of the multiplicity of moving screens that are missed/ignored every game.

Personally I blame poor timing and cutter footwork [= poor coaching and execution] for the moving screen malaise, because when the cutter doesn't rub the defender successfully the screener feels obliged to 'chase' the defender. Whatever.

If Will's reaction helps get an improvement in the reffing [one can always dream!] and in particular moving screens at least reduced [too much to hope for them to be called every time] I'm with him.

Reply #772654 | Report this post

Hairs  
Years ago

If only basketball referees were afforded the respect rugby refs receive. It is so much a part of our game now I don't think it is likely to change. Who would want to be a ref? The abuse starts at U/10s and goes on from there. The talent pool of NBL refs is shallow, as someone else on here said, but it is difficult to get kids to continue through to senior reffing when they are treated like shit for years. It would be interesting to hear from some active refs on what it is that motivates them to strive to ref in the NBL or higher. Probably not money.

Reply #772669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing will change while clowns like Mayberry and Aylen are regarded by the league as the best refs. Get some new blood in.

Reply #772670 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

WW welcome to the NBL. I have been calling this out for many years now, the acting and flopping that goes on and is rewarded. No matter what you say Will, you won't change NBL Headquarters.

If you can't beat them, join them!!!! Start to teach your players to accentuate the contact - a flick of head back, indicates to the Ref a foul needs to be called.

The more whiplash you do, the more fouls you get called.

Reply #772671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you seen the refs at WNBL level? New blood from where? A stone?

Reply #772676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we stop pretending Weaver is a martyr? He had a dummy spit, end of story. He just isn't as calm as everyone else thinks he is.

Reply #772678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

678 on the money.

Weaver has supposedly picked up two techs to:

1. garner favour with his players
2. reform in how the nbl is refereed
3. calling out flopping
4. instigate change from nbl hq

You guys are hilarious.

Reply #772690 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

Was Dean Vickerman fined last week for kicking the chair into the crowd and hitting a mans face? I thought the bloke was going to jump the fence when it happened. That would have been a hell of a story "Aggressive Coach knocked out by fan"

Reply #772691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, because you're apparently encouraged to have these violent outbursts now if the league fanbois think you are fighting the good fight.

Reply #772692 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It just goes to show how utterly frustrating Vaughan Mayberry is.

Reply #772714 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

" It is so much a part of our game now "

Hairs - basketball culture has been this way for as long as I've been paying attention to the game (35 years). Check out the thread on USFs and how deliberately committing fouls is classed as "smart play". Then ask yourself how many other sports' fans complain that way about players not being allowed to deliberately break the rules of the game.

Reply #772740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knowing Aylen in real life he's exactly the same. Short, sharp and takes no prisoners.

Not very user friendly and despite doing 4? Olympics isn't like the greats of old. Eddie, Bill, Ray, Hollywood and more.
Personality and people management is something both Aylen and Mayberry lack. However they are now the senior refs and unfortunately that makes then untouchable. The NBL has always protected their own.

Reply #772758 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So true, was thinking about the exact same quartet today, some of the greats like:

Eddie Crouch
Billy Mildenhall
Mal "Hollywood" Cooper
Ray Hunt

Had the respect from both players and coaches... even us fans.

What happened?

Reply #772762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Personality and people management is something both Aylen and Mayberry lack. However they are now the senior refs and unfortunately that makes then untouchable. The NBL has always protected their own."
People needing evidence of the Meth-epidemic afflicting our country need only read some of the dumber-than-shit comments in this forum.
Since when is it a refs job to stoke a coachs dick? - and how does not doing so equate to them being "untouchable"?
I dont know what is wrong with people from Sydney - maybe its just the basketball fans who are scarred from 30 years of their team being a laughing stock - but every fucking year its the same story - you cant wait to come in here and tell everyone how wonderful your team is going to be - how brilliant your coach is (including Gaze for fucks sake) - you abuse anyway who dares to suggest waiting till they have played a few games, spout shit about your team spending less than anyone else and proclaim the Kings certain champions.
Then when the inevitable happens (again) yo all lose your shit and start blaming the refs and various other conspiracy theories.
Well suck it up boys because the Violets have Crumbled again. - Bogut is older, slower, and more busted - he couldnt lead you to a Grand Final last year and he sure as shit isnt doing it this year - Once again you spent your money on the wrong players and hired the wrong coach. - Suck it up boys because it only gets worse from here.

Reply #772763 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Also Scott Butler retiring early was a big loss.

Reply #772765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Settle down there, you might need to see a doctor.

Reply #772767 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Willy Weaver got his willy in a wonker. Took his bat & ball & went home. Got told no 2nd helping of dessert! One of the worst dummy spits ever. He actually looked like he was outside a nightclub trying to take on the bouncers. All that was missing was removing his shirt to show off his 25 kg frame! Oh dear u were 5 & 0 & u do that??

How embarassment...

Reply #772779 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

Probably worth the $500 to screw the NBL refs. You watch, Sydney will start getting the calls. That's why coaches do things like that. And those refs are going to have the whole basketball Community and their bosses looking over their shoulders now for every call. I say good.

Reply #772783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Perthworld,

Please rethink your answer about a certain referee retiring early being the loss, he is now in power and the league is having numerous 'personality' issues.
Look into when and why he changed his on court demeanor....and that will set you on the path to enlightenment.

Reply #772839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Look into when and why he changed his on court demeanor"

How about just tell us.

Reply #772841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You watch, Sydney will start getting the calls."

The logic here is that the refs are so arrogant and NBL HQ is so resistant to change, that they will acquiesce to Weaver's tantrum?

Explain.

Reply #772846 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

My original point was meant to be along the lines of hope something gets done about the reffing.

My reference to Weaver is that he has come to Australian basketball like a Knight in shining. Spent time with the national team, US basketball and apparently well versed in basketb. Every-one likes him.

His team is 5 and 0, so he's not just lashing out to blame any-one else for his team's bad results. I am genuinely hoping that the NBL hierarchy really looks at the issue.

As I wrote earlier. We are not talking Joey or Gleeson. We are talking about Clark Kent (in all his guises). This guy is squeaky clean. He bitches, I want the powers-to-be to listen to him, at least!

And from the penalty he received (very soft for THAT outburst) I think that they (the NBL refs) may have conceded that there is a prob. I understand that the first reaction is to do what's always been done. Blame the competitor, not the cop.

Let me put it this way. As much i love LK and what he's done, if he is coaching a team and gets calls like we see, you think nothing gets done?

Reply #772848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aside from the USF fouls, what exactly has been that wrong with the reffing this year?

Reply #772851 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

All coaches work the refs. Part of the job. Casper had 11 free throws in the 2nd half. Seems like the tantrum started working immediately. You act like you've never seen a coach tossed before.

Reply #772852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL REFS are the worst ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #772872 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Look into when and why he changed his on court demeanor"

How about just tell us.

This. *waits*

Reply #772979 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754