Cram
Years ago

State Basketball Centre (Melbourne)

I posted this in the WNBL thread but thought it might warrant its on

On Monday had my first trip to the State Basketball Centre. Nice stadium but little more than a standard suburban gym, complete one way in car park access and being in the middle of nowhere with awful public transport access.

If any WNBL team ever played in a relatively central location I'd likely take a membership, but based where both Melbourne teams are, its a huge trek just to get to a single game.

Its basically a lesser version in every way (capacity, location set up) to the State Netball Centre which is 20+ years old.

Why can't we get something that can at least pretend to serve the whole city rather than the eastern fringes?

Topic #46269 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Between The Cage, MCA, Melbourne Arena and RLA we're covered for everything between 3,500 and 15,000.

I'd never watch a game there - I live in the North West- but the majority of the population lives in the East, so it's accessible (by car) for most people. I think the whole point was to service the Eastern suburbs.

Is there still a plan to extend it?

Reply #772709 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There is still a plan to extend it, including additional courts, larger showcourt plus BA CoE to move there is the word.

Reply #772710 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Thing is arena's like MCA and Rod Laver are expensive and often have clashes like the tennis and concerts etc.

It'd be nice to have a dedicated basketball centre for the people of Melbourne that wasn't in the far away suburbs.

Extending it will only make the car park accessibility and lack of public transport connects more glaring.

Reply #772713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#HEARTLAND

Reply #772719 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

I like SBC and have no problem with it's location given the demography of entire Melbourne

Reply #772720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No good if men's and women's playing consecutive games. 2 change rooms only. Pathetic.

Reply #772725 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Is Melbourne arena actually used for the tennis?

When I try to get tickets, the prime game is on RLA, the next best is on MCA - no mention of Melbourne Arena.

Perhaps it's a "Oz Open general access takes up the entire area" thing, otherwise what's the issue having Melbourne teams play there?

Reply #772729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No good if men's and women's playing consecutive games. 2 change rooms only. Pathetic."

The teams won't be in the changerooms at the same time, it doesn't really matter whether they're men or women! It would be good to have better changerooms there though.

Reply #772730 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

To OP - yes I was at the game as well ...

I think it's a great location ... just off Eastlink, easy access from the Eastern burbs ... and the teams playing there are eastern based ... absolutely agree the single lane access to carpark is awful and needs to be addressed.

Would much rather go to a game at SBC than try and get into town to the larger stadiums that WNBL just will not fill.

And to be fair to WNBL teams, most are trying to have a couple of games a season in other locations - the Boomers played a home game in Geelong a couple of weeks ago.

Horses for courses ... you could buy a Bendigo membership and get on up there :-)

Reply #772733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET, Melbourne Arena is included in a general admission ticket, so you won't find tickets to just it during the Aus Open.

Reply #772737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The teams won't be in the changerooms at the same time, it doesn't really matter whether they're men or women! It would be good to have better changerooms there though."
Clearly you don't know a lot about the actual game logistics. Sorry.

When the women are playing first, all their team gear and personal gear is in both locker rooms. Both men's arrive probably in the first half and have no locker room to go to dump their gear and watch, until they need to get ready. When the girl's get to half time and remove all the team crap and their personal gear no one can get ready from the men's.
Equally the women don't need to be worried with a short half time and getting rid of all their crap. Far from satisfactory for everyone.
This is meant to be an elite facility. Bullshit.

Reply #772755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do realise this happens in sports all over the place, that teams from different clubs use the same changerooms? Provided your team has some basic form of organisation the logistics happen pretty easily. I've been involved with this in terms many, many times over.

Reply #772757 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah great for the Eastern suburbs, but there's an ever growing number of people living in the north and west, but both wnbl teams are in the east. Doesn't really help grow the league.

Reply #772766 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

A legit point about West and North West of Melbourne - those suburbs are growing fast and big - so a fair call to say trekking to SBC for WNBL can be a haul. Still SBC is better than CBD at this point of time IMO.

Reply #772787 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Its good for the eastern suburbs and yes it might lack public transport but due to planning/space its really the best option and has plenty of room to expand in the future.

The vehicle access if very good being on Eastlink so if the east/west link tunnel is build access will be pretty easy be vehicle from the Northern suburbs.

If you look at the demographics of which regions/areas play basketball the North/West isn't exactly a basketball mecca with the Football codes certainly dominating that area of Melbourne so the SBC is in an area that best service the greater basketball community as a whole.

Reply #772806 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"If you look at the demographics of which regions/areas play basketball the North/West isn't exactly a basketball mecca with the Football codes certainly dominating that area of Melbourne so the SBC is in an area that best service the greater basketball community as a whole."

And this kind of thinking is what makes it hard for the game to grow in other parts.

Reply #772809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I sensing some disunity in Victorian Basketball - the mecca of all things right in sport!!!

Reply #772825 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's true, Essendon, Keilor and surrounds are Footy central.

Most of the big basketball clubs are out East. I played for the mighty Keilor Thunder, and we were basically the only elite junior club in the entire North West. Broady (or is it called Hume City?) and Coburg often have good senior teams but the junior programs aren't top tier. Or weren't in my day.

So while it'd be nice to have a central basketball hub, I'm happy that we have a State Basketball Center at all.

Reply #772843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You do realise this happens in sports all over the place, that teams from different clubs use the same changerooms?"

Sure do but this is meant to be an elite facility, not some r on of the mill suburban gym.

Reply #772845 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"No good if men's and women's playing consecutive games. 2 change rooms only. Pathetic."

The teams won't be in the changerooms at the same time, it doesn't really matter whether they're men or women! It would be good to have better changerooms there though.

NBL1 is supposed to be a semi professional sport, when you have only two change rooms and back to back games fir women then men, what it means is men can't access the change rooms until after half time and need to share facilities re space etc , these change rooms are not exactly large. ....it also means that either the men must vacate the change rooms the minute the women’s game concludes or the women have to wait until the men take the court and then work around all the men’s stuff to get changed.

These players have treatment before and after games in most cases, they needs to shower , take over baths etc, have pre and post game discussions, it’s not like school sport where you run in and run out.

How they even passed as the "state basketball centre “ without adequate change rooms is mind blowing, considering they were in consultation with Basketball Victoria , shows how amateur those handling these discussions were to not factor in elite level requirements .

Reply #772986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:16 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754