Young Gun
Years ago

Brown to Coach Boomers at the Olympics

Woj is tweeting that Brett Brown is finalising a contract with Australian Basketball to coach the Boomers in Tokyo: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1196833696193687552?s=21

Topic #46360 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the best. Brett brown will help with the Ben Simmons, Jonah bolden sagas, and well, lemanis wasn't that good. Well done to the boomer brass for pulling this off.

Reply #775532 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Can hear the Brisbane Bullets players crying from here!

Reply #775533 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

.. has anybody in the history of the NBA lost more games than Brett Brown's Philadelphia 76ers?

Reply #775534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so Basketball Australia has heard the true fan's outcries to sack lamanis on hoops.com.au. This is a big middle finger salute from BA to the likes of ME, rjd and Steven who believe lemanis has done a great job during his reign and should continue as a boomers. LMAO.
So glad that lemanis is gone. We don't have to put up with his insane player selections anymore, thank god.

Reply #775535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so Basketball Australia has heard the true fan's outcries to sack lamanis on hoops.com.au. This is a big middle finger salute from BA to the likes of ME, rjd and Steven who believe lemanis has done a great job during his reign and should continue as a boomers coach. LMAO. 
So glad that lemanis is gone. We don't have to put up with his insane player selections anymore, thank god.

Reply #775536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is the best news ever for the boomers.
So hopefully now is the time for young guns like
Green, Adel, Bolden, Exum, Makur, Simmons, Thon, Macdowell~white to shine on the international stage, and we don't to put up with mediocre players like Barlow, gliddon, kay and sobey anymore.
Well done basketball Australia.

Reply #775537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can hear the Brisbane Bullets players crying from here! "

so true Benno.

And eggs on the faces of rjd, Grecco and ME who believe Lemanis
should coach our 2020 Olympics team . lol

Reply #775538 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Bret brown with 76ers. 505 games. 186 wins. 319 loses. Winning % .389. Isn't there anyone else?

Reply #775540 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If this is true, zero chance it's anything other than Simmons and/or Bolden throwing a tantrum and BA kowtowing to them.

Because as we all know, trashing a long-term culture to bring in a star with an attitude problem always works out well.

Reply #775541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not like they've been trying to win many of them...

Reply #775543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best coach is Beveridge by a mile

Reply #775544 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

You mean the guy that got fired a long time ago and still has no job? Lol ... of course he's exploring his options elsewhere.

Reply #775545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, it's true. But it has a lot more to do with things besides the tantrums as you say.

Boomers will have a real chance now at medaling with Simmons as close to a lock as possible. Sorry to the likes of Gliddon Barlow Sobey.

Reply #775546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You mean the guy that got fired a long time ago and still has no job? Lol ... of course he's exploring his options elsewhere."

Or the guy who decided to leave a bad situation in Illawarra, is now coaching the Southland Sharks and is one of the favourites for the NZ national team job.

Reply #775547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank fark for that...... let's go boomers

Reply #775548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love how BB's losing record is important. It took him seasons to get the side that he wanted.He knew exactly what he was doing, losses included.

Reply #775549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe you are an absolute fool! You're seriously siting games in which the franchise openly admitted that's they were TRYING to LOSE!!!!!! It's called tanking and it's a real thing in the NBA. It's how they got Simmons and Embiid. Last season they were a Kawahi Leonard contested 3 away from an NBA Championship!!!! (Because Golden State lost KD and Klay).

You're really siting games he lost while the front office had instructed the team to lose lol. Good wake up Joe.

Reply #775550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep an eye on Cadee's wrists this weekend

Reply #775551 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

BB's winning record with the Sixers is irrelevant given for many years he was coaching a team literally built to lose games. Make no mistake, he is an NBA standard coach with a good working relationship with our star player. This is a masterstroke by BA.

Reply #775553 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Brown will take over the boomers job and transition away from Philli, regardless of the 76ers results in the next year for two. He's said his NBA coaching days are numbered himself in the past for non Bball reasons affected by being an NBA coach. He goes and stays in a little town past Warrnambool each off season to get away from it all.

It will be good to have the boomers coach only coaching the boomers.

Reply #775554 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"Last season they were a Kawahi Leonard contested 3 away from an NBA Championship!!!!"

Anon uses this as an endorsement of BB.

Lemanis supporters could also use. Last World championship the Boomers without their best player were a Patty Mills free throw away from a shot at gold.

I'm in two minds about the BB announcement as I think Lemanis has done a good job as national coach. On the other hand I also think that BB is astute enough to pick the best team to fit the various roles in the system he will use. I doubt that the team will include all the players the fanbois talk up and that players such as Bolden have to earn their spots.

Reply #775555 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bolden will be in. That's the only reason Brown is getting this job.

We're seven years into an eight-year build, retaining the same core and systems. There's only one reason to bring in a new coach less than a year from the Olympics, and start the process all over again: either Bolden or Simmons threw a tantrum. Given that we know Bolden has already thrown a tantrum, that's where my money is.

And frankly, that's disgusting. If either or both of those guys refuse to play for Lemanis and incorporate into his system, they can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

If this were being arranged for Brown to take over post-Olympics then sure, Lemanis has had his time and we move on. But bringing Brown in for Tokyo absolutely stinks.

Reply #775556 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

BB was quite underwhelming last time he was national coach, and unequivocally worse than Lemanis is now. 7 years is a long time though, and BB would have certainly learned a lot from his time with Philly. Hopefully he's improved enough to justify what seems like a knee-jerk reaction from BA.

Reply #775558 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Lemanis chose players to fit his system, Brown will use a system that suits his best players.

Lemanis system is very Euroleague, which doesn't suit Simmons or Bolden at all, so even if Ben played it wouldn't have been a good fit, yes he would have helped but his talents wouldn't be maximised. Boldens skill set didn't suit at all either but he isn't clearly our best player so was able to be left out without too much controversy. Our other top players like Mills, Ingles and Baynes would fit in any system.

Imagine an NBA spread pick and roll system built around Simmons with shooters and secondary play makers all around him, we'll be tough.

Reply #775559 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I'm still yet to see a reason why Bolden's name is constantly thrown up in the "star players" discussion. Simmons by all means but Bolden hasn't earned a free ride to any sort of special treatment

Reply #775561 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I'm with Duke fan. Bolden might be a fringe NBA type but he isn't a walk up start to the Boomers at this stage.

Reply #775562 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bolden would disagree.

Reply #775563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ewwww brown sucks.

Reply #775564 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy. Why is is that Mills, Ingles and Baynes can fit any system but Bolden can't. I agree that systems need to me modified to make best use of Simmons as his unique skills in some areas and almost total lack of skills in other areas are very rarely seen.

Euro systems work best in fiba competition for a reason.

NBA systems obviously work best against NBA defences and defensive rules. I am sure the Greece system tried to put Giannis into situations where his NBA talents were best utilised. How did that work out?

Reply #775566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need our players succeeding at the highest level and there is complaints when an NBA player pulls out of a tournament. Why wouldn't we want a proven coach at the highest level? Would you keep Goulding or Kay in the team over Simmons and Broekhoff?

Reply #775567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big mistake, Weaver would have been better and cheaper.

Reply #775568 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Would you keep Goulding or Kay in the team over Simmons and Broekhoff?

No. But I'd keep Kay over Bolden at this stage.

Reply #775569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why wouldn't we want a proven coach at the highest level?"

BB isn't proven!

"Would you keep Goulding or Kay in the team over Simmons and Broekhoff? "

Nobody would, including Lemanis... what's your point?

Reply #775570 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"BB was quite underwhelming last time he was national coach, and unequivocally worse than Lemanis is now. 7 years is a long time though, and BB would have certainly learned a lot from his time with Philly. Hopefully he's improved enough to justify what seems like a knee-jerk reaction from BA."

What has he learned about fiba basketball in those 7 years?

I'm with KR here. The more I think about it the more I think the decision stinks and is as you said playmaker a knee jerk reaction.

Reply #775571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20 players down to 12 will be tough to choose.

Reply #775573 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"Would you keep Goulding or Kay in the team over Simmons and Broekhoff?"

Anon. I've got news for you. Lemanis didn't Keep Goulding and Kay over Simmons and Broekhoff. THEY WERE FKN UNAVAILABLE.

Reply #775575 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What exactly is the overlap between Kay and either Simmons or Broekhoff that would lead to anyone ever having to make that decision?

Reply #775577 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Some shit is being flung my way, but when we're talking about Andrej Lemanis, we can say what we want about the Bullets, but he is, as of now, the most successful Australian Boomers coach ever. We were within a Patty Mills freethrow of a gold medal game just three months ago, and we were within a point of bronze just three years ago. We are very realistically throwing the baby out with the bath water.

And why? Because it makes Ben Simmons, and probably Bolden, more comfortable. Bolden isn't an automatic selection. And Ben Simmons could very well choose to pull out because he wants to chase a Kardashian around.

Then you look at Brett Brown's own track record. He's hardly Nick Nurse. His NBA record is around 30 percent and his time running the Boomers in 2012 wasn't exactly earth shattering. Could he get it together with this team? Possibly. But there is nothing that suggests to me that this move was an absolute no-brainer and an obvious decision. It's not.

The brigade who want their latest YouTube mixtape fixation kid in the team will probably end up being disappointed when they don't get in above seasoned vets, so they should probably cut the celebrations back about whoevers dunk they just saw most recently.

Lemanis has knocked on the door of a medal a few times now, and yes, he's failed to get us there. But let's not forget the situation he found himself in, with Bolden pulling out, and then not having any real options and point guard and shooting guard. We didn't have the available talent. Yet despite that, we knocked on the door yet again. I'm not entirely sure now is the time for a major shake up. But having said that, this move would have had to have gone past Bogut, Mills, Baynes, Ingles, Delly, and all of the team leadership before given the okay, so I have to put a little trust in that they know what they want.

Reply #775578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So obviously there was no contract for Lemanis covering next years Olympics. Strange.
Or is this change with Lemanis's blessing? I think that's more the case, and if so needs to be reported as such.

Reply #775579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

everything about the NBA is automatically better than the NBL equivalent
all NBA players are better than all NBL players
all NBA coaches are better than all NBL coaches
Spalding balls are better than Wilson
Kia cars are better than MG
Big Macs are better than Whoppers
etc.

/hoopsfanbois

Reply #775580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big mistake. Brown is not calm enough. We need a calm coach. I'm thinking perhaps that Will Weaver. He seems very calm.

Reply #775581 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Nice post ME.

Agree annon. Hopefully Lemanis and as ME said the leadership group were all involved in this decision.

Reply #775582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just curious will Lemanis or one of the assistants coach boomers in Feb 2020 qualifying window?

A squad that will comprise NBL players.

Reply #775583 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Just curious will Lemanis or one of the assistants coach boomers in Feb 2020 qualifying window?

A squad that will comprise NBL players."

Qualifying window for what? We've qualified.

Reply #775585 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Good riddance Andrej! #sacklemonass

Now for K-Mart to to wake up and replace him in Brisbane ....

Reply #775586 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

FSTOS, Greece and Giannis are a perfect example of a coach plugging a player into his Euro system, Giannis wasn't terrible but was utilized terribly, Simmons would have been the same.

Ingles, Mills and Baynes are high IQ players that can make multiple reads with and without the ball. Lower IQ guys like Deng Adel didn't even make it through camp and Bolden left the team, they are more talented players than other guys who made the team but couldn't handle the system and the IQ required. Can Bolden do the things offensively that Bogut did for the boomers? No, he is suited to pace and space. Simmons has the IQ but his skill set wouldn't suit Lemanis system at all unless he played a 4/5 position which he wouldn't do.

Reply #775588 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Further to ME's observation that AUS men have already qualified for 2020 Olympics, the men's qualifiers will be in June. The qualifiers in February will be for the Women's Olympic tournament.

Reply #775589 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why do people continue to deny the existence of the February qualifying window?

Reply #775590 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Qualifying window for what?
The 2021 Asia Cup.

Reply #775591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe lemanis stepped down

Reply #775592 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would he step down just before the Olympics, and no announcement be made?

Reply #775593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Boomers were one dodgy foul call away from a medal in the Olympics, and one missed FT away from a medal in the WC. Replacing the coach is not the solution, especially not if it was done to appease the egos of Simmons and Bolden.

Reply #775594 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

Please let this be true.

Reply #775595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has the Bullets record had anything to do with this? Just asking the question.

Reply #775596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know. Just answering the question.

Reply #775597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he doesn't take us to the semi’s it’s an epic fail!

Reply #775598 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

If I were an owner and my employee had a non paying side gig that took his valuable time to the detrement of my product, I might suggest he choose. Asking alot of any coach . Pretty easy to burn out as a coach I imagine. Hard on the family too. He carried the tourch a long way. He did good. No shame handing it off to the next guy. Thanks coach for your service.

Reply #775599 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"FSTOS, Greece and Giannis are a perfect example of a coach plugging a player into his Euro system, Giannis wasn't terrible but was utilized terribly, Simmons would have been the same. "

You assume Lemanis wouldn't change his system. Look back at his first stint at the 2014 world champs and compare that to 2019: our structure have adapted and general philosophy is almost entirely different, and better-suited our personnel. I'm confident he would have made changes to suit Simmons's inclusion - whether they would be optimal, we can only speculate.

"Can Bolden do the things offensively that Bogut did for the boomers?"

Bogut will be less and less a centrepiece of the team in 2020 (for what could be his last international campaign), just like his role diminished in the WC, when compared to Rio. I get your point, but it's probably inconsequential when the system will be tailored moreso to suit Simmons, Baynes, Bolden, Kay etc. at the big spots.

"Simmons has the IQ but his skill set wouldn't suit Lemanis system at all unless he played a 4/5 position which he wouldn't do."

Why wouldn't Simmons play a 4? That's just a baseless, dubious statement. His NBA role changed immensely just based on whether guys like Embiid or TJ McConnell were on the court. He's essentially shifted from being the primary ball handler, to a post target, to a "tight" P&R handler in the post, to a screen setter, to a ball-handling 4-man within each NBA game...

Reply #775601 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Could there be division among the players (i.e. between the current senior group, who are known to be pretty tight, and the young players who will eventually become the next generation of senior players).

Irrespective of previous results, change, whether now or immediately after Tokyo is inevitable and perhaps BA believe Brett Brown is the best person, in the best position, to facilitate the transition between the players. Doesn't Brett have a relationship with both groups (as a coach or mentor or family friend)?

I am concerned Brett's current employer expects him to be guiding their team to a NBA championship during June (which is entirely reasonably too). This leaves little more than a month before the Olympic for Brett to be actively involved in Olympic preparations if the Sixers do make the Finals.

Reply #775603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For future aisa cup type tournaments, you would likely send Weaver who i assume would remain an assistant under Brown, given it was Brown who hired him to the boomers in the first place.

At minimum Brown means we have Simmons and Bolden playing instead of Gliddon and Barlow, that alone if no other benefits is HUGE and reason enough to make this change imo.

Reply #775608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We could have had Bolden at the WC but he decided to spit the dummy.

Reply #775609 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see what happens with the support staff and assistant coaches as well? Will this be the end of the line for Luc Longley, Will Weaver? I'd assume David Patrick stays on. Personally, if you have to take out Lemanis, then fine. I am sure Basketball Australia has done a full review before reaching their decision, and yes, we once again missed the mark. But I feel like something was working to some extent within the group so there should be some guys who carry their roles over.

Reply #775610 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy. Why is is that Mills, Ingles and Baynes can fit any system but Bolden can't.

Reply #775611 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

I am in no position to come to a worth-while position on who is the best coach, and related, but this worries me from the 'player power' perspective.

Looks to me that BA is caving to the NBA egos and while that might work in the short term, though I deeply fear it won't, I strongly suspect it's not a good long-term strategy, particularly for a national program like ours.

I realise people will argue [some already have] that this is little more than 'facing up to reality', but to me it's certainly not a good look and I sincerely doubt it's good policy or practice.

Integrity anyone?

Reply #775612 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ask the Breakers how well that works.

Reply #775613 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There were probably going to be questions of culture either way heading into this Olympics if Ben were to make himself available anyway.

We don't really know how self-important he was going to be or how much he was going to expect to dominate things, and that would be a factor with or without Lemanis there.

I think more important than coaching is that you have a team that plays for eachother, and plays the right way. And above all else, and above any particular name or coach, that has to be preserved moving forward.

Ben has to know that he's a cog in the machine - an important one for sure - but he is one piece of the machine. And so is Jonah. Jonah should justifiably have to earn his minutes. Sitting on the end of an NBA bench and showing out in G League doesn't mean you're better than a Euroleague guy necessarily. I hope Brett Brown doesn't make getting this gig a fate acompli for him.

I also worry about whether Brett has his nose enough in the NBL to select appropriate role players. Yes, your impact players like Simmons, Mills, Ingles, Baynes, Bogut etc should all feature, but what about the Nick Kays and Gouldings of the world? As far as I am concerned, Nick Kay should have his ticket booked because of his offensive rebounding and ability to miraculously find himself in useful positions. He's not a star player, buut he is a role player whose game translates no matter where he's playing.

Reply #775616 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If this were being arranged for Brown to take over post-Olympics then sure, Lemanis has had his time and we move on.

It seems like this must've been on cards and they're just bringing it forward a year.

But bringing Brown in for Tokyo absolutely stinks.

No it doesn't it's quite an astute thing to do given Tokyo will likely be our last chance at serious medal contention for a while, it's not like Bogut will still be there next time.

Reply #775617 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

IMO Lemanis's performance as Boomers coach has been outstanding. I've got no issue with Brown's coaching ability either. (His Boomers results were not great, but he wasn't working with as much)

But a team that has overachieved largely as a result of its culture, having that culture disrupted on the eve of the Olympics (and possibly not just disrupted but actively reversed, if this is a Bolden-related move), seems like a really dumb idea to me.

Just my long-distance opinion, and am more than happy to eat crow if this is what gets us the gold in Tokyo.

Reply #775619 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Zodiac, if you can't see the difference between having three years to build your system and having two months to cram it in, I can't help you.

Reply #775622 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Tokyo will likely be our last chance at serious medal contention for a while, it's not like Bogut will still be there next time"

But Bolden will be in his prime for 2024 so we'll be dominating the world......

Reply #775623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis should've been allowed to finish the job, he was contracted till after the Olympics, fuck me one free throw and a dodgey call on Bogut we probably had gold.
This is the nba guys having there say, I believe Mills wasn’t happy about a few things. Bolden, Deladova, Deng, surely Can’t be locks.

Interesting times.

Reply #775625 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"I also worry about whether Brett has his nose enough in the NBL to select appropriate role players. Yes, your impact players like Simmons, Mills, Ingles, Baynes, Bogut etc should all feature, but what about the Nick Kays and Gouldings of the world? As far as I am concerned, Nick Kay should have his ticket booked because of his offensive rebounding and ability to miraculously find himself in useful positions. He's not a star player, buut he is a role player whose game translates no matter where he's playing"

But its fine because you can just base it all on a 3 day camp and then just bring in a rando who wasn't even at the camp at the last minute. Selecting teams is easy!

Reply #775626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

Reply #775627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope Weaver stays on board.

Reply #775629 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He's the BEST choice. Stoked. He has loads of contacts in the NBL.

Reply #775630 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The problem with the opinions on Lemanis is it's two extremes flinging shit at each other. One side thinks he's the greatest the other thinks he's a chump. He's neither.

Lemanis has done a very good job in his time as Boomers coach he's led us to our equal best results in history you could make an argument he's the most successful Boomers coach ever outright.

However, some of his decision making especially at the WC left a lot to be desired like some weird selections like Gliddon who is too scared to shoot in NBL games he was never going to get on a roll on the biggest stage. Trying to play Sobey as a PG because that's the gig he was promised at the Bullets. Both Bullets players where Lemanis is the coach.

Not only did his nepotism hurt us but because his end of bench selections couldn't play he ran the main guys into the ground by playing them such heavy minutes all tournament that they were quite clearly gassed and fatigued at the pointy end.

You can talk X's & O's all you like but that was a very critical error by Lemanis that really destroyed our chances of medalling not some missed free throw or in bounds pass here or there. When you're out on your feet it's human nature to make critical mistakes at crucial times.

Lemanis was a decent coach who gambled on a strategy that almost paid off but like the BA brass I too was concerned about whether he would make the same mistakes again in Tokyo and being our last chance for a while to medal you need to leave no stone unturned.

Brett Brown was obviously going to replace Lemanis after Tokyo anyway so might as well bring it forward a year and try and go for it. I just hope BA keep Weaver on as an assistant he's got future Boomers head coach written all over him.

Reply #775631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden may or may not be better than a Euroleague guy like Motum, but he is 100% better than Barlow, so just keeping Bolden on the team over Barlow is an upgrade, and a huge one at that. Being on a NBA roster alone and playing a single second is a massive achievement that most Australian players never do. Lets not down play that and pretend someone like Barlow is better cos he plays more in the NBL, while Bolden is on an NBA bench.

If i were Brown id bring back the main 9 from the world cup, add Simmons, Bolden and one of Exum or Broekhoff for Gliddon, Sobey, Barlow and away you go, the best Bommers team ever. No medal is ever guaranteed, but rolling out Lemanis with a similar roster to 2019 is hardley a recipe for further success, (Simmons likely doesnt play under Lemanis, hence this move being made to get Brown)

Boomers had i beleive the 2nd or 3rd most current NBA players at the World Cup, and was the only top 4 team from Rio to return their entire starting 5, even though Bogut was now coming off the bench.

We are now ranked 3rd by FIBA

So yes we had a top 4 roster, so coming 4th isnt some massive acheivement like it was in 1996.

This team was built on talent, the most talent we have ever had available along with Lemanis culture etc.

It wasnt a none top 4 roster that Lemanis dragged to the top 4 through his magic system like people like to beleive

IMO we went as far as Mills could drag us, the system didnt offer anything when he was shut down and made hard work of our easy games, so i dont consider it anything special

Brown is a very respected coach in the NBA and the world, hence having a NBA head coaching job and having long experience at a great club like the Spurs. Frankly he has a better resume than Lemanis who would probably not even currently be in the top 4 NBL coaches to be honest.

He has worked with Mills, Baynes, Bogut, Ingles types before and is currently working with Simmons and Bolden every day.

So i dont think we should have any concerns about culture and everything falling apart with Brown taking over.

Given Brown bought Weaver into the Boomers in the first place you would imagine he would continue. So brings some continuity to the coaching staff.

Reply #775632 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac, if you can't see the difference between having three years to build your system and having two months to cram it in, I can't help you.

And if you can't work out that Bogut won't be there in three years I can't help you either.

Reply #775633 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Agree with Zodiac for the most part.

For mine the worrying thing was Lemanis seeming lack of a plan B.

Yes, the Spain games in Rio and China were super close to securing us a medal. But we had another opportunity to secure a medal in each tournament and got spanked - both times by teams we'd already defeated earlier in the tournament.

Reply #775634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lets not down play that and pretend someone like Barlow is better cos he plays more in the NBL, while Bolden is on an NBA bench."

Who has ever said that?

The fact is, Bolden quit on the team. He might be a great player but his ego is fragile, and this current team didn't achieve what they did by having players looking out for number one.

Reply #775635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be good for Longley to stay, after all he's the most successful player Australia has ever had in the nba . Brown, Weaver, Longley.

Reply #775636 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Bolden may or may not be better than a Euroleague guy like Motum, but he is 100% better than Barlow, so just keeping Bolden on the team over Barlow is an upgrade, and a huge one at that. Being on a NBA roster alone and playing a single second is a massive achievement that most Australian players never do. Lets not down play that and pretend someone like Barlow is better cos he plays more in the NBL, while Bolden is on an NBA bench."

When you get to role players on teams, one player being an overall better player than another isn't the only consideration, but if they play the specific role they want better. If you worry about offensive rebounding, let's say, you might choose a Nick Kay over an NBA guy who has all sorts of other bells and whistles, but can't offensively rebound the ball. Of course your top 8 players are going to be the most talented 8 guys. But as even Team USA has shown, you need role players with specific attributes to succeed internationally. If you can get All Stars who do those things, great. But usually you're not that lucky

Reply #775637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brown will be likely more able to handle and work with NBA player egos, without necessarily caving to their every want either, and build a positive relationship so that we can have maximum talent on the team to work with.

Building relationships with players is part of coaching. Clearly something Lemanis didnt do well with our younger generation of NBA players and would have been a bigger issue in the futre when our old guard retires.

Bolden cant be that much of a brat either, as if he was terrible 76ers would have gotten rid of him, as they dont need to tolerate anything from an end of bench player.

Sp Brown being able to work with NBA guys successfully is something that goes in his favour imo.

Reply #775639 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I also worry about whether Brett has his nose enough in the NBL to select appropriate role players

He probably doesn't, but surely there are others in the Boomers regime who can successfully get it done. Of the potential issues with a late change of coach, this one is right near the bottom of the "likely to be a problem" scale IMO.

Reply #775640 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Yes, the Spain games in Rio and China were super close to securing us a medal. But we had another opportunity to secure a medal in each tournament and got spanked - both times by teams we'd already defeated earlier in the tournament."

Yeah, can't deny that. For the most part when the real prize was on the line the teams have imploded. Impressive to get to that position but clearly some change was needed. Was this the change? Time will tell.

Reply #775641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Bolden may or may not be better than a Euroleague guy like Motum, but he is 100% better than Barlow, so just keeping Bolden on the team over Barlow is an upgrade, and a huge one at that. Being on a NBA roster alone and playing a single second is a massive achievement that most Australian players never do. Lets not down play that and pretend someone like Barlow is better cos he plays more in the NBL, while Bolden is on an NBA bench."

When you get to role players on teams, one player being an overall better player than another isn't the only consideration, but if they play the specific role they want better. If you worry about offensive rebounding, let's say, you might choose a Nick Kay over an NBA guy who has all sorts of other bells and whistles, but can't offensively rebound the ball. Of course your top 8 players are going to be the most talented 8 guys. But as even Team USA has shown, you need role players with specific attributes to succeed internationally. If you can get All Stars who do those things, great. But usually you're not that lucky"

Yea but what role did Barlow play? what benefit? Bolden did more in the 2nd warm up game than Barlow did the whole time he was with the team. So yes it would have been of benefit to Boomers if Lemanis was able to build a relationship with Bolden and keep him on the team. Yes Bolden shares some fault in this too, but Lemanis needs to take some blame for this too.

It also appears Simmons has no interest in playing for Lemanis too, so another example of Lemanis being able to build relationships.

Guys like Mills, Bogut etc are super passionate about the Boomers and would play for Boomers under any coach and just do their best no matter what they thought of him. So it would be interesting to see what they think of this move, im guessing it had their blessing though.

Reply #775643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

88 6'0 P.Mills CG
92 6'1 B.Cotton CG
90 6'4 M.Dellavedova PG
88 6’4 C.Goulding SG
92 6’5 M.Creek SF
95 6'6 D.Exum CG
00 6’6 J.Green G/F
90 6'7 R.Broekhoff SF
97 6’7 D.Adel SF
87 6'8 J.Ingles G/F
95 6’8 X.Cooks CF
92 6’9 N.Kay PF
96 6'10 B.Simmons PG
96 6'10 J.Bolden PF
90 6’10 B.Motum PF
86 6'10 A.Baynes C
95 6’11 J.Landale PF/C
98 7’0 I.Humphries PF/C
84 7'0 A.Bogut C
97 7'1 T.Maker PF/C

Reply #775644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually doubt anybody from BA contacted Mills, Ingles etc.
I suspect they just did it. Who in BA would make those phone calls?

Reply #775645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Official: Ben Simmons is the new CEO of Basketball Australia

Reply #775648 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Bolden has been demoted to the G League with the Delaware Blue Coats.

Reply #775649 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"I actually doubt anybody from BA contacted Mills, Ingles etc.
I suspect they just did it. Who in BA would make those phone calls?"

Why do you doubt that?

Reply #775650 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Why are people feeling so compelled to bring Jonah Bolden into this matter? His previous decision and relationship with Brett are circumstantial at best, unless evidence can be provided otherwise. Surely if Jonah had so much power to persuade BA to replace Andrej then strings would have been pulled back in August to ensure Jonah stayed in the team which went to the World Cup.

And, if Brett was so enamored with Jonah, as some are suggesting, then why has he spent most his time in the G League this season and not yet hit the court in an NBA game (unless I've missed a box score). There is no doubt Jonah has talent but there are still other players who are as good as, arguably better than Jonah who were not in the World Cup team for whatever reason. Brett would know this.

Further, where is the evidence of a bad culture existing within the Boomers? It is even more evident now the Boomers are one major competition away from being going through a transition between players. Perhaps BA believe Brett Brown is the best person to be at the helm for both Tokyo and beyond. Surely BA learnt post the Barnes, Gaze, Longley, Vlahov, Bradtke and Heal era, generational transition must be managed property in order to stay at the top of the international rankings.

I'm enjoying this discussion.

Reply #775651 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Brett Brown isn't perfect, but I'd rather a coach that's biased towards 76er's than Bullets. Wonder how many years Gliddon, Sobey, Caddee signed for with the promise of playing in Tokyo, EAD, you're garbage.

Regardless of throwing shit at Lemanis haters or lovers, let's ALL just hope this is another step closer to a medal.

I agree Beveridge would be good, but I'd think he'd also have some bias to certain NBL players which we don't want, besides, wasn't he coaching Scotland recently?

We want the best 20-30 Aussies playing in front of Brown's coaching staff and picked on ability and merit.

Reply #775654 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

"Greece and Giannis are a perfect example of a coach plugging a player into his Euro system, Giannis wasn't terrible but was utilized terribly, Simmons would have been the same."

Disagree. Giannis is a finisher and shot creator. I watched his games closely at the WC. He failed to adapt to FIBA zonal defense arrangements, which meant he had to beat an extra defender off the dribble and drive, yet he still opted for hero ball, throwing up poor shots. Simmons is not that sort of player. He has better vision; looks to drive and pass, with the option of finishing if the D backs off. More than the NBA,l FIBA rules rewards team play and good decision making and Simmons has these in spades. Had Simmons been at the WC he would have given the Boomers an extra dimension to their offense, which - IMO - was too focused on setting up Mills, particularly during clutch plays.

Reply #775655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is BB in just for the Olympics or for past that as well?

Reply #775656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you ever noticed how the number of highlights is less from NBA guys in FIBA competitions, compared to when they play in the NBA?
2 reasons.
1. The NBA court is bigger allowing more room to operate 1on1.
2. The defensive rules are different allowing more help when playing in FIBA comps.
Take out from this is, don't expect what you see a guy do for his NBA team translate to what he'll be doing playing for Australia.

Reply #775657 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think the deal is just the Olympics but who knows. If it's just the Olympics it's fine because we're gonna have to rebuild after that anyway. I'd be surprised to see much of our core still there in 2024.

Reply #775658 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

You'd presume if we medal in Tokyo Brown would be given the opportunity to continue on as national coach.

Reply #775659 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

1 thing that I find remarkable is that there has been no (official) comment re Lemanis' departure.

The usual procedure would be to retire the current coach gracefully (family reasons, focus on his NBL team, etc), then look for new guy, then announce that too. Seems we started at the back end.

If you are planning a change, it is sensible to be as ready as you can be, so having discussions with BB in advance probably ok, but the leaking of his probable hiring before the news that Lemanis is going.

About the Boomers under Lemanis. They have done incredibly well on the world stage.

* A small population spread over the area of Europe.
* We play our (local/national) competition against 8 other teams who collectively may rank equal to the middle ladder positions in most Euro leagues (Our top teams as good as anyone).
* They play against many more, much tougher teams in very tough, established leagues/championships, all the time.
* We have to qualify for top comps by beating up on Asian teams.
* They play their qualifiers against the best "other" teams in the world.
* FIBA is based, and some say biased in Europe and the game played in European countries is FIBA, FIBA, FIBA. Sure, we play by the same rules but you get my meaning.
* Apart from that we have to also contend with what the US throws at the world (usually).
* In spite of all that, we are the only team/nation to return to the medal rounds consecutively (3 or 4 yrs???)

Lemanis has an enviable international record with some hic-ups. In above threads I read that Greece's coach did not use Giannis well, Pop's team was awful (and further, on the US team. They did not have their own superstars but in all honesty, they were still a damn good bunch of ballers. Sorta like Lemanis' team.). Are there wholesale cries of, "get-rid-of-our-coaches", echoing around the (basketball) world? I know that Pop and Nick Nurse kept their jobs and neither of them could recruit their own super studs either.

Having said all of that in his defence, I am a bigger fan of BB and also Goorjian as Boomers HC. But Lemanis does not deserve to be replaced at what is probably going to be Australia's most glorious basketball moment, that he had a huge influence on the international reputation that the Boomers have earned.

With Ben and others being available (Bolden, maybe not but if we need him to get a medal then we are in trouble anyway!) we may reach that elusive goal with either BB or Lemanis but remember that for the Olympics, all teams will be at FULL strength too.

Reply #775660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

blaming bolden for the sacking of lemanis? Are lemanis supporters insane ? So some people think Bolden asked BA to get rid of lemanis? Lemanis supporters are just as stupid as lemanis' player selections I suppose

Reply #775661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting timeline IF this is true.
NBA finals finish on the 21st June (worst case scenario). No doubt Brett Brown would like to believe he has a good chance here.
The Olympics start the 24th July.
Therefore I am calling bullshit on this.

Reply #775662 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Even though I've never rated Lemanis since he was made to look good by the Blackwell ownership in NZ (look at the Bullets now - LOL) - but why do BA go back to BB who has been the national team coach in the past? He was unconvincing back then and the NBA game doesn't suit FIBA. After a long NBA season he won't have much time to prepare for the Olympics. This has obviously been done to appease Ben Simmons. Also this seems like a smack in the face to Weaver who by all accounts was the brains behind the operation. Bravo BA you've done it again! (sigh)

Reply #775663 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

I stand with ME in stating his support for Lemanis as coach. Much of what ME has written makes sense.

If the reports are true and that Lemanis is out - then I think it appropriate that supporters pay respect to Lemanis for his energy, commitment to the national team and the way he has managed the team.

Let us not be a community who enjoy building people up only to tear them down later. I read far too much negativity and impatience in forum posts.

During the last WC, I listened to press conferences held by opposition coaches and key players. Almost always they refer to the high quality of Aust play and how well the Aust team is coached. No better compliment I think.

Reply #775665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the world has officially gone mad.

Reply #775666 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

This information has become public via a "Woj Bomb". The man has more contacts than the CIA.

BA might not have expected this to go public the way it has, which is why no formal announcements have been issued yet. That said, there has been discussions within basketball circles that Andrej might not be the coach in Tokyo. Liam Santamaria mentioned this on SEN radio this morning, stating he put the question to Andrej recently but wasn't given an answer (on the record).

Good points about Brett Brown only coaching in Tokyo, I had assumed he would seek a longer appointment, maybe this isn't the case.

Reply #775667 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Agree Red, I understand Andrej is well respected in World basketball circles and I expect history will reflect favorably upon his (and the players involved) legacy to the sport in this country once emotion and outrage has died down.

Even the best coach understands it is only a matter of time before you must move on (whether by choice or in reaction to decisions made by others).

Reply #775668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many reasons why lemanis should be replaced

1. Simmons, bolden, adel probably do not want to play for him

2. Conflict of interest ~ picking caddie, gliddon, sobey for the boomers just because they are bullets players, ignoring the fact that they are not good enough for international basketball.

3. Lack of common sense ~ completely burned out mills, ingles, delly before the semi finals of the WC by over playing them

4. Picking mediocre players before more talented players. Gliddon, barlow, sobey,kay selected before green, adel, bolden, creeks ? (creeks only got into the squad because of injury )
Don't give me the shit about picking lesser talented because they fit the system better, you always pick your best players and make your system work around your best squad of players.

Reply #775669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately you don't have the timeframe to do that. You come in with a framework of what you do as a coach. If you knew your team 12 months out then maybe you create stuff to suit them. Lemanis didn't even have his team finalized a few weeks out. Not his fault, players pulled out at the last minute.

Reply #775672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Don't give me the shit about picking lesser talented because they fit the system better, you always pick your best players and make your system work around your best squad of players"

100% wrong

Reply #775674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LMAO at Kobe, "ME", and all the other Lemanis Fanboys, bleeding out their asses.
Even according to your own posts prior to the events, Australia should have medal'd in both Rio and China. We didn't because of Lemanis.
To start crying and moaning about some bizarre Jonah Bolden conspiracy just shoes what a bunch of arrogant, clueless, dickheads, you truly are.
Lemonass has always played favourites, its like he can't help himself. He mostly got away with it in NZ because the squad was so strong, but even they had the sense to push him out when the rot set in.

Reply #775675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a fan of Lemanis but this appointment is blatantly to appease the young nba players. Now it's going to be a case of will talent get them over the line instead of a system.

Reply #775677 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I could totally understand this decision for post-2020, but I agree with koberulz on this: there must be something else going on, perhaps a player(s)-influenced decision, or more likely, non-players. We need extra personnel to lift to medal level, and in my mind that leaves only one player. Both Bolden and Simmons have obvious and rumoured grudges against Lemanis respectively. Bolden's departure was dramatic, while Simmons appeared to have an issue with Lemanis dating back to being left out of the 2016 team. But it's Simmons who we really need for 2020.

Brett Brown is a solid replacement. His NBA record is irrelevant. His Boomers record is more relevant. Does anyone remember the Boomers offense when Brown first took over? The main offense consisted of iso ball with Jawai. Brown improved over his tenure, but even Lemanis critics have to agree that Brown extracted no more out of his talent than Lemanis did.

Australia is now ranked top 3. I don't think anyone here with a pulse on world basketball would've expected the Boomers to rank top 3 near the end of Lemanis's contract.

Unless Brown quits (or is fired from) the 76ers, how does this affect qualifying windows? We need an assistant to take the helm of those teams.

As much as Lemanis has been criticized, I believe unfairly, for prioritising the system over talent, this same emphasis on the system not only allowed players like Kay to seamlessly slip into the A-team, but it also allowed smoother transitions in the qualification windows, where the team saw 33 players, YES THIRTY-THREE, different players suit up. Of course the Boomers should cruise through these games, but we still should be aiming to win every game in Asia by 20+ to gain full ranking points. Ranking matters because it puts us in a more advantageous pot.

This matters in the ease of first round opponents. Spain, for example, was in the top-3 (+host) pot, which means they couldn't be placed in a pool with any other top 8 nation. This allowed Spain to rest their stars more in the first round, a luxury that Lemanis didn't have. We are top 3 now, so only now can we take full advantage of the results that Lemanis has achieved.

I hope BA also understands that the teams that performed well in the 2019 World Cup all had a coach that had already had years to develop their system and chemistry. The biggest failures/under-achievers: all teams with new coaches.

At least Brown already has some previous experience coaching Delly, Mills, Ingles, Baynes, Simmons and Bolden. But damn, this this is a risk that BA is taking with so little preparation time before Tokyo. For this to work, surely the Boomers still need to run much of what Lemanis did that made them successful, with Brown adapting and adding more for the inclusion of Simmons.

Reply #775679 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

Lemanis selected Gliddon....enough said.

Reply #775681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lemanis selected Gliddon....enough said."

Gliddon was unanimously selected. Do you want Weaver and Luc gone too?

Reply #775683 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

If they selected Gliddon, YES!

Reply #775684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis had few other options to be fair. Cooks was injured, Broekhoff, first child, Adel supposably struggled with the set plays, green is still too young.

Reply #775685 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

He wasn't even used, Jawai would have made more sense.

Reply #775687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He wasn't even used"

So? You blamed Lemanis for the selection, when it was the entire coaching staff. Do you want them gone too?

Reply #775688 | Report this post

Made up name  
Years ago

Do you reliase that when you make up a random name and make a post saying how much you agree with yourself that you just look like a double dickhead?

Reply #775690 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

A = the same buffoon as Dave/Makur? Arguments like suggesting replacing a wing with Jawai suggests we should just ignore them. No credibility.

Reply #775691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gutless yesmen - and theres a few on this forum - always attach themselves to arrogant egotists like Lemanis - because they have no substance of their own.
Then their posts are just endless circles of "I'm smart and always right because I support the Emperor", "The Emperor is great because I say so", and "the Emperor has shiny new clothes".
Well guess what fellas the emperor has been exposed, he's butt naked, and unlike your fantasies he has a really small wang and is butt ugly.

Reply #775693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah you seem rational....

Reply #775697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ :)

Reply #775698 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

If this is indeed the case then I hope that Lemanis has the opportunity to assist Brown in the transition period up to and including Tokyo Olympics.

Of course, if the Boomers medal, then Lemanis would share in the fruits of his labour of the past few years. That's only fair.

Reply #775701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.
So the precedence has now been set. Unless Brett Brown gets a medal he will be sacked.
Fair's fair after all........

Reply #775703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I ask simple questions

is Lenanis the best coach in the NBL??

Is Lemanis a better coach than Brett Brown??

To me the answer to both of those is no

Lemanis isnt the best coach in the NBL, im not sure he is even top 4, therefore shouldnt be boomers coach, i want the best coach we can get to coach the Boomers, which isnt Lemanis

Lemanis isnt better than Brown either, therefore hiring Brown instead is an upgrade, plane and simple. Its why Brown has forged a long career as a coach in a variety of roles in the NBA. If Lemanis left the Bullets would he be able to get a NBA gig of some form?? I doubt it, so more proof of who the better coach is.

Brown also has positive relationships with most of our star players, he played a hand in getting Baynes and Mills to the Spurs in the first place, has coached most of our main guys when they were younger as the Boomers coach, and is the current coach of our brightest star Ben Simmons. This move basically locks in Simmons for Tokyo.

So people can defend Lemanis all they want. But this was the right move and is an upgrade even if Brett Brown isnt perfect.

Reply #775704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So? You blamed Lemanis for the selection, when it was the entire coaching staff. Do you want them gone too?"

yes, please. They should all go if They are dumb enough to use performance during a 3 day training camp to select players, ignoring how the players players had performed in the previous past 12 months, the level of league they were playing, abilities .
Gliddon, sobey, Barlow getting into the team ahead of creek. adel was just insane.

Reply #775705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'I ask simple questions

is Lenanis the best coach in the NBL??

Is Lemanis a better coach than Brett Brown??'

Does Brett Brown have Lemanis's international record? The best record of any Australian coach (including Brett Brown when he was Australian coach)?

Reply #775707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is something seriously wrong with a coach
if he does not pick the best squad of players available. Gliddon, Sobey, Caddee instead of Creek and Adel just because they play for the bullets ? You will not be missed , good bye lemanis.

Reply #775708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"performance during a 3 day training camp to select players"

You'd assume that those players that didn't make the cut struggled in the camp, whether that was learning the system or fitting in with the team. Don't you think that it would be a risk to take players who showed they weren't a good fit, despite them having better international experience?

and before you answer with "the coach should develop the system around the players" consider how much work had gone into the program in the past 6-8 years. You can't just chop and change the system every other year and have everyone learn it in a 3 day camp.

Reply #775709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel would struggle in the nbl, all those who say he's a star are relatives. Bolden is unproven, he left the camp, Lemanis selected him, could not get his ego out the way. I can see Australia exploding at Olympics, egos don’t win tournaments. Simmons yet to take a three point shot in this seasons nba, euro coaches will work out defensive strategies to close the key.

I heard over week ago this rumour from a good source, got told Mills was unhappy, could not fathom why.

Australia best ever results coach gets the arse when ranked number three in the world, no other country would do this.

Reply #775710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether it's Brown or Lemanis the result will be the same.

NO medal in Tokyo.

Reply #775712 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I seriously believe that BA are of the thought that Lemanis has damaged some relationships beyond repair ahead of Tokyo.

Simmons and Bolden (although he did not help his cause) are two obvious ones, while I suspect the likes of Deng Adel, Mitch Creek and Brock Motum are also were impacted.

Reply #775713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so anon you will pick sobey, gliddon ahead of Lebron because Lebron is not familiar with Lemanis' system ?

Reply #775714 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"I stand with ME in stating his support for Lemanis as coach. Much of what ME has written makes sense.

If the reports are true and that Lemanis is out - then I think it appropriate that supporters pay respect to Lemanis for his energy, commitment to the national team and the way he has managed the team.

Let us not be a community who enjoy building people up only to tear them down later. I read far too much negativity and impatience in forum posts.

During the last WC, I listened to press conferences held by opposition coaches and key players. Almost always they refer to the high quality of Aust play and how well the Aust team is coached. No better compliment I think.
"

Exactly. People who haven't even coached a kids league game in the lives stand in judgment of a man who took this team to the doorstep of greatness, and they were often a bad foul or a missed freethrow away from getting over the line. Debate some of his choices if you may, but I don't think people can say he hasn't done pretty well if they're being in any way objective about it.

Basketball Australia has chosen to go another direction, and I respect and understand the decision, and I am not here slagging people off the way they are doing to Lemanis and to me. But if this is how people treat those who tireless represent them with energy and pride, I can see why many don't bother to get involved.

"LMAO at Kobe, "ME", and all the other Lemanis Fanboys, bleeding out their asses.
Even according to your own posts prior to the events, Australia should have medal'd in both Rio and China. We didn't because of Lemanis."

Yeah, Lemanis paid the referee for that shit call. He also missed Patty Mills' freethrow.

I'm not even here saying Brett wont be a better coach than Lemanis. I am saying the decision is surprising regardless. Not sure why the constant need to be a fucking asswipe every time you post.

---

As for the system of Lemanis, I ask this - do we have the 3rd best talent in the world with the teams we have? If we don't, our system was working.

Reply #775715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"so anon you will pick sobey, gliddon ahead of Lebron because Lebron is not familiar with Lemanis' system ?"

Of course not, but Lemanis didn't have that problem. Motum and Adel are significantly better than Sobey and Gliddon so in a choice between great resumes or great guys for the system, he (and the other coaches) went with the latter.

Reply #775716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Whether it's Brown or Lemanis the result will be the same.

NO medal in Tokyo."

Brown will at least keep our nba players happy and give the next crop of talents like Josh Green and Makur Maker a chance.
Lemanis on the other hand has pissed off our nba players and not willing to give youth a chance.

Brett brown will try to win an Olympic medal with our best squad of players available, the same cannot be said about lemanis. He loves to pick his bullets players who don't deserve to be in the boomers team.

Reply #775717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is great news.

Reply #775718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Basketball Australia has obviously read our comments on this forum and listened to our advice to sack lamanis.
Good on Ya, BA !

Reply #775719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The next thing to play out is to see what Lemanis's assistants do. Do they go out with him or hang around?

Reply #775723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say at least Weaver stays as lead assistant. Has a relationship with Brown from his 76er days. Always talks about Brown giving him a ton of background and help when he about to take the Kings role.

Reply #775729 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"Now Will this is how you go about coaching the Sydney Kings, what I used to do was..." ;)

Reply #775730 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Now news is that Sac Kings assistant coach Igor Kokoskov will be head coach of Serbia for Tokyo.

Reply #775731 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Well said, ME. It's obvious that most of the anons on this thread have never coached above junior level, if they've ever coached at all.

Select your best players and then fit the system around them? I doubt you'd find many coaches around the world who would be good enough to do that, except possibly in the NBA where the coach is full-time and has a big team of assistants to work with on this. [And that's just looking at strategy and combinations, without also having to worry about egos and playing time and favoured positions and who's available when and ...]

So WHO ARE our best players? Come on, fanboys, get your act together and tell BA who they should have in the team. You've watched a few dunk highlights so you obviously know more than they do. LMAO

Reply #775732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a daily telegraph article about "toxic relationships" lemanis had with players.

Can anyone share it?

Reply #775734 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"The problem with the opinions on Lemanis is it's two extremes flinging shit at each other..."

Agreed Zodiac. Too many people just want to push one coach at the expense of the other. Both are very experienced and accomplished coaches.

Lemanis offensive system was extremely effective at the World Championships and he did a great job of getting us to the semi without guys like Simmons and Broekhoff and Cooks. Mills was close to MVP of the tournament because of his offence!

But Brown has had a very long and successful career, shaking up the NBL when he first arrived by winning the title on the back of a zone defence, going on to learn from the master in Popovich and establishing himself as a respected NBA coach with Philly.

Either one is a good choice to coach the Boomers at the Olympics next year. But I think its pretty clear what cost us a medal at the World Champs:
- fatigue from lack of depth
- no elite offensive shot creator to keep the scoreboard ticking over late in high pressure games

Spain won that semi because they could run a Gasol-Rubio pick and roll that was simple and effective. I thought at the time that we should have run pick and roll with Baynes and Mills/ Ingles, but Lemanis chose to go with Bogut and that cost us.

Ultimately though, do we want to try to win a medal with a Baynes/ Mills pick and roll? Or put the ball in the hands of Simmons and spread the floor? I'm opting for the latter every time!

So if bringing in Brown is the only way to guarantee Simmons plays, then so be it. But we should remember that Lemanis has done a lot to be proud of with this Boomers team and deserves a lot of respect.

Reply #775735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the courier-mail newspaper:

"But Brown will be the Boomers head coach at the Tokyo Olympics after it is believed that Lemanis first raised the possibility of the transition two years ago.

Official confirmation could come as early as Thursday but The Courier-Mail understands:

• Lemanis initiated the process to bring Brown back as Boomers coach a couple of years ago.

• The collaborative discussions with Lemanis, Brown and Basketball Australia gathered pace after the Boomers finished fourth at the FIBA World Cup this year.

• Lemanis has always preached a team-first attitude with the national team and believes it is in the best interests of the Boomers if he hands over to Brown who will be a better chance of winning a medal in Tokyo.

• Given the large number of NBA players in the first-choice Boomers team, an NBA-based head coach would be a better fit for the squad.

• An Australian-based coach will guide the Boomers in qualifying games with NBL-based players.

It is understood a formal press conference featuring Brown and Lemanis was pencilled in for next week but the report from ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski blew Basketball Australia’s plans out of the water."

Reply #775737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me and hoodie, I'm with you 100%,

Come at us with your best team, I’m waiting for Green, on all lists, 1st year at college and doing ok but no superstar yet. Adel, lol, Humphries bring him in ahead Bogut lol. MDW, done nothing anywhere, div 2 Germany. Give me some other names.

I see Bogut is talking going back to nba at seasons end, said had feelers from contending sides, strange move if right.

Reply #775738 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It is understood a formal press conference featuring Brown and Lemanis was pencilled in for next week but the report from ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski blew Basketball Australia's plans out of the water."

Ha gotta love it Woj is so connected he's even throwing spanners in the works in Australian basketball now.

Someone should ask Woj on Twitter what the real score is with Ramone Moore's absence last game?

As they say in journalism you're only ever as good as your contacts.

Reply #775739 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Good to see that this seems to be backed by Lemanis. It makes any arguments that it was done only to appease some players much less likely. I wonder if this also means that Lemanis might remain on as an assistant coach. For continuity, that would be great.

Reply #775741 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Come at us with your best team,"

They should not just choose their best 12, but also rank more players to account for injury/unavailability. Rank the players in order from 1-20. If some players are unavailable, their logic is that we just choose the next "best" player, regardless of position. So here is their chance to come up with a definitive list for BA to follow. I will even start with the template for them:

Reply #775743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's replacing brondello though? The opals wont make top 6 by the way they are playing.
Ba coaching clean out...

Reply #775744 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ok. So it's a new era for the Boomers. I think Lemanis deserves respect for what he was able to achieve. He took a team that was ranked between 10th and 12th in the world to the top 4 on two consecutive occasions, and presided over a period when the Boomers were actually considered, at different points, genuine gold medal contenders. You can say talent is the reason, but I don't think you can genuinely say we were more talented than the teams ahead of us. Our wins against France, Lithuania were seen as upsets at the World Cup, as were most of our wins in Rio, where we were projected to finish around 9th before the competition began. And we were probably less talented than some beneath us. The Lemanis era is over but I think he deserves respect for what he was able to achieve, not these know-nothing know-it-alls running his name into the ground, a man whose forgotten more about basketball than they'll ever know.

So we look forward to the Brett Brown era. Brett Brown might be a guy who does guarantee that our very best put their hand up. But for all we know, Ben Simmons could be too busy chasing Instagram models to find the time. Jonah Bolden left the team high and dry and probably won't be well received by the older guard. Brown also has merely 6 weeks between the NBA Finals and the Olympics to figure everything out. But those facts notwithstanding, If the move was going to open avenues to keep our best players involved, and if Brett actually has the energy and dedication to apply himself to this, it could prove to be a great move. But I don't think it's fair to pretend it was an obvious move to make. We wont know until Tokyo. And if we drop out first game by 20, what chorus will be sung then?

Reply #775746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this also a prelude to this being Brett Brown's last year with the 76ers?

Reply #775749 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Zodiac:

And if you can't work out that Bogut won't be there in three years I can't help you either.
I'm confused. Why do you think that helps your argument and not mine?

Anon:
So i dont think we should have any concerns about culture and everything falling apart with Brown taking over.
Lemanis being pushed out to appease the egos of a couple of superstar players is the culture falling apart. It's already happening.

Beantown:
Either one is a good choice to coach the Boomers at the Olympics next year.
No, either one is a good choice to coach the Boomers after the Olympics. Lemanis is the only good choice to coach the Boomers at the Olympics.

rjd:
Good to see that this seems to be backed by Lemanis.
His ability to read the writing on the wall doesn't mean the writing is irrelevant.

Reply #775750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis has always put Australia first, he's not going to shove the knife in now. Good luck to him and well done with the boomers.

Reply #775751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" So WHO ARE our best players? Come on, fanboys, get your act together and tell BA who they should have in the team. You've watched a few dunk highlights so you obviously know more than they do. LMAO "

I have said this a million times, the best boomers squad of 12 have no room for the likes of gliddon, sobey, goulding and kay. and lemonass is probably going to include them for the 2020 Olympics team. It is going to happen now because lemonass has been shown the door.

Reply #775753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's going to be an all NBA team bar probably Bogut. Tell me which of those NBA players is going to be happy coming off the bench and quite possibly not playing at all.

Reply #775754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As they say in journalism you're only ever as good as your contacts."

Is this why Boti feels the need to boast every time one of his sources doesn't feed him bs? He writes as if it's an achievement to be gifted information.

Reply #775755 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Say what you want about Sobey, Gliddon and Barlow, but anyone who says Nick Kay didn't deserve his world cup spot either didn't watch the world cup, or doesn't know a single thing about basketball.

Reply #775756 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Hopefully the Courier's perspective on the story is correct. One would hope this had been worked out amicably between Lemanis, Brown and BA, and that this wasn't driven by disgruntled players.

Reply #775757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" So WHO ARE our best players? Come on, fanboys, get your act together and tell BA who they should have in the team. You've watched a few dunk highlights so you obviously know more than they do. LMAO " 

I have said this a million times, the best boomers squad of 12 have no room for the likes of gliddon, sobey, goulding and kay. and lemonass is probably going to include them for the 2020 Olympics team. It is not going to happen now because lemonass has been shown the door.

Reply #775758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Say what you want about Sobey, Gliddon and Barlow, but anyone who says Nick Kay didn't deserve his world cup spot either didn't watch the world cup, or doesn't know a single thing about basketball."

I would have a Bolden or adel in the boomers team than nik kay
any day.,I am sure Brett brown will agree with me.

Reply #775759 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

thanks Koberulz - I forgot the Asia Cup window was in feb for men. If that's what the Anon who asked the question was referring to, then the post above, quoting the Courier Mail is probably the best guide:

"An Australian-based coach will guide the Boomers in qualifying games with NBL-based players"

Reply #775760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Say what you want about Sobey, Gliddon and Barlow, but anyone who says Nick Kay didn't deserve his world cup spot either didn't watch the world cup, or doesn't know a single thing about basketball."

Many lemonass critics on this forum have said " sack lemanis " and " bring brett brown back as boomers coach ". BA has listened and just done that. LMAO. LOL

Reply #775761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many lemonass critics on this forum have said " sack lemanis " and " bring brett brown back as boomers coach ". BA has listened and just done that. LMAO. LOL

Reply #775762 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, nah, your YouTube crushes would DEFINITELY have got 16 and 11 against Spain in the Semis. Yep.

Reply #775763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is good to see BA has been listening to our advices to
" sack Lemonniss " and " Bring Brett Brown back as boomers coach " Our wishes have come true. wow !

Reply #775764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't just sack Lemanis for the sake of it, there were players disgruntled. The nba and g league guys had better perform. Still waiting for the list from the experts of best 20.

Reply #775765 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I can pretty much guarantee that random anonymous fuckheads on Hoops had absolutely nothing to do with the decision they've made.

Reply #775766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After the recent WC, I was one of a few who demandeded Lemonass to be sacked and Brett Brown to be reinstated as boomers coach.

Unbelievably, BA has done just that. Does the Basketball Australia CEO read fans comments on hoops.com??? I think he does! LOL.

This is an early Christmas present for true basketball fans in Australia. Thank you BA, you have done the right thing.

Reply #775767 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Isaac, are all the anons crowing about being personally consulted by BA about this by any chance posting from the same IP?

Reply #775769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

",Yeah, nah, your YouTube crushes would DEFINITELY have got 16 and 11 against Spain in the Semis. Yep."

unfortunately he sucked in all other games.

Reply #775770 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Koberulz, so long as we maintain a fair bit of continuity in what we have been doing, I see no problem switching the coach. With the vets we have (Bogut, Baynes, Ingles, Mills, Delly) I think they have a large influence on the way we play and I can't see Brown making major changes those guys are not on board with. He literally just needs to get Simmons to buy in to what we are already doing, and simplify the way we play down the stretch. That should be enough to medal.

Reply #775771 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"unfortunately he sucked in all other games."

Except he didn't. He was instrumental in the win against France and Lithuania as well. He averaged 7 points and 5 rebounds in very limited minutes and his physicality was able to keep a lot of opposition post threats from scoring. He was even big in the win against Team USA>

Reply #775773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bye Bye LemonGrass.

Reply #775774 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulz, so long as we maintain a fair bit of continuity in what we have been doing, I see no problem switching the coach.
So you're okay with changing the coach as long as nothing is actually done differently?

That's exactly why this is a stupid idea.

Reply #775776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Isaac, are all the anons crowing about being personally consulted by BA about this by any chance posting from the same IP? "

why would it be a surprise if BA CEO read our comments on hoops.com ?

Reply #775777 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So anything near Official confirmation?

I haven't really followed Brown's career in the NBA. I suppose there is an assumption that to coach in the best league in the world, he must be doing something right.

In all honesty, from the extreme outside looking in, Lemanis seems to be a polarising figure. There are clearly players that would follow him if he were coaching a game in hell. But there are also question marks over why others wouldn't.

Selecting his Bullets favourites and his old mate Barlow, was simply foolish, arrogant, and unprofessional. It's the kind of crap you expect to see in the local juniors. Question is whether that reflects on whether and why others won't play for him.

Everyone is quick to jump on Jonah Bolden. He would have been a step up from Barlow, but probably still played very limited minutes. Fact is that depending on availability he may not even make the cut for Tokyo. But again everyone is quick to assume he threw some huge tantrum and ran home, and is now somehow behind this. But who knows? We don't know what transpired between the two. Maybe he saw Caddee walk in, fell on the floor laughing, and Lemanis told him he would never see any court time??? Rather pointless to make up conspiracy theories...

Reply #775778 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

thanks Koberulz - I forgot the Asia Cup window was in feb for men. If that's what the Anon who asked the question was referring to, then the post above, quoting the Courier Mail is probably the best guide:

"An Australian-based coach will guide the Boomers in qualifying games with NBL-based players"

Reply #775781 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

So pandering to Prima donnas like Simmons is what Australia needs???

You better hope Brown can deliver the goods , a team consists of more than 1 player

Reply #775782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say Will Weaver will be lead assistant and take care of the qualifier, aisan cup type tournaments

Reply #775784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" So pandering to Prima donnas like Simmons is what Australia needs??? "

he is the best player ever produced by Australia.
Of course we need Ben

Reply #775785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

",Except he didn't. He was instrumental in the win against France and Lithuania as well. He averaged 7 points and 5 rebounds in very limited minutes and his physicality was able to keep a lot of opposition post threats from scoring. "

If kay is so good, why has he not been snapped up by an nba or a big European team ? Maybe you know more about Kay than NBA scouts ?

Anyway, I am sure Bolden can easily achieve these stats Kay produced in the WC. Bolden has better size, mobility, athleticism, defense than Nick kay and that is why he is in the nba, kay is not.

Reply #775786 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Last I checked Bolden wasn't in the NBA either.

Reply #775787 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"f kay is so good, why has he not been snapped up by an nba or a big European team ? Maybe you know more about Kay than NBA scouts ?"

Does this need to be explained again?

You see there are fucking PLENTY of great international players who don't fit in in the NBA.

Reply #775788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few tinkering pieces need to be made. If bringing Simmons means bringing in Brown, then I'm all for it. Bolden would be an added bonus.

Koberulz, you’re pretty passionate the other way, and that’s ok, but I think the majority will be happier to see who’s on the court by this signing than who’s riding the side line. It’s a business.

Reply #775789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have a summary of that Matt Logue article

Reply #775795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobewankz is correct.
Bolden ain't done shit this season

Reply #775801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden was selected, the reason Barlow was selected is because Bolden left and Motum was already in Spain preparing for his euro commitments.

Lot bull shit getting said here, we better get gold or silver or it a failure.

Reply #775802 | Report this post

Doggr  
Years ago

Six years coaching the national side. No medals in the Olympics or WC. Time to go. Over and out.

Reply #775805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't be surprised if the 2020 Boomers team is very similar, if not the same as the World Cup team. Brett Brown isn't the coaching guru that everyone makes him out to be. His appointment as the coach isn't going to have Aussie NBA players rushing to put there hands up to play for him. Watch This Space!

Reply #775809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How Simmons tension brought down Boomers coach as tense stand-off brewed

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/how-ben-simmons-tension-brought-down-boomers-coach-andrej-lemanis-ahead-of-tokyo-2020/news-story/a72c5719d1c9f522cb63f0daba3f3dd5

Reply #775810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden is a group one spud. No way playing at the Olympics.

Reply #775816 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Don't be surprised if the 2020 Boomers team is very similar, if not the same as the World Cup team.
Zero chance it's the same. Simmons and Broekhoff are locks, Barlow won't be back.

But yes, hopefully it's similar. Because what we had was working.

Reply #775819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA will be gold medallist.
Australia face a hell of a battle for other medals.
My 2020 Tokyo team
Dellavedova
Mills
Ingles
Simmons
Baynes

Exum
Goulding
Green
Broekhoff
Landale. (Bolden)
Thon Maker. (Kay)
Bogut.

Reply #775820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't often agree with Koberulz but would say a third of WC team will change. Simmons and Broekhoff guaranteed ins, plus Bolden, Exum and Maker should be good chances. Creek to play more as well. Load management is important these days so having spuds like Barlow to pass out drink bottles will be gone. Better off blooding Green to make team.

Reply #775826 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It has to be noted that it's because Lemanis got us so close that we got the idea that we should be winning medals.

Let's be real about the talent we have, it's not better than USA, it's not better than France, it's not better than Serbia, it';s not better than Lithuania. There are probably 8 teams at the world cup who could've justifiably said they have equal, or more talent than we did.

Same can be said for the 2016 Olympics. We don't have a Pau Gasol or a Rudy Gobert or a Teodosic. Patty Mills is a bench spark plug, Delly is absolutely scraping to stay as a point guard in the NBA, and Bogut is aging and has been aging for years.

But when you put them together, suddenly you have this team that are knocking off the best teams in the world and they LOOK LIKE THEY SHOULD.

But on paper, no, they shouldn't have. The Boomers played above themselves in the world cup for the vast majority of the cup to getg into a position to be within a shot of a gold medal game.

And in Rio, it was a last second bad call that stopped us from beating Spain - the perennial powers that are Spain. The same Spain that had troubled the USA on numerous occasions.

Gotta remember these are the guys we relied on - Matthew Dellavedova, Patty Mills, Joe Ingles, Jock Landale, Aron Baynes, Goulding, Bogut, Kay.

Can we be a bit realistic about the fact that, while we celebrate these guys as heroes in Australia, in the scheme of things they're just "solid". There is no superstars on the team.

We well and truly overestimate the talent we have, and that overestimation has been justified by the results Lemanis has been largely responsible for.

So while I think nothing of his NBL career. And I hate the Bullets. I think that as a Boomers coach, he has helped bring out the very best in those guys. I mean, let's not forget in Rio, Delly and Mills were the best guard duo in the competition for the first rounds. On paper they weren't even close. Something Lemanis was doing was working.

But regardless, next year it will be Brett Brown's turn. And will we have the talent to "out talent" the other teams without a system in place? It's doubtful.

Ben Simmons is a fantastic, but limited player. Pack the D into a zone and you can likely deal with him.

Who are the other big world changers who are meant to come?

As talented as we think the Boomers are, we aren't going to out-talent the world to the medal. We do not have the depth we think we have.

Reply #775827 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The problem now is that Brown, in his last stint, was the worst Boomers coach ever (outside of Smyth).

Reply #775828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah Australia are a medal team. More NBA players than any country outside of Canada and USA.

Reply #775830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum is always injured, Maker hardly plays was useless last time played for Australia, Broekhoff plays even less. Deladova is at the end and plays minimum minutes. Fuck me id take Kay, Newley, Goulding ahead of these guys at present.
Simmons has talent but Olympic is a very different game, it ain't won on media highlights.

Reply #775831 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

More NBA players, maybe. But what roles are they realistically playing in the NBA? As I said, when it comes to the big name and impact players, we don't have them. We have guys that come together and play well as a unit. Part of the reason for that was clearly Lemanis.

And if you cast your mind back to 2010 and 12, the Boomers weren't exactly playing particularly well. A last second win to Russia was about as memorable as it got, and that was after Russia had already qualified and no longer gave a shit. And there was a spirited performance agains the USA but that ended in a 30 point shallacking.

Reply #775832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's article states

In fact, the Daily Telegraph's highly-respected and reputable journalist Matt Logue has the most accurate story produced in the mainstream media today

Anyone know what this story said?

Reply #775833 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

Has Brett Brown got Australia citizenship? He did spend at least a decade in Australia.
Btw, good choice Basketball Australia

Reply #775834 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Mixed reports about this now. Some journos are basically calling bs on other journos' reports that Lemanis walked.

Reply #775835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many of our current NBA players are actually rotation players.
Mills yes
Ingles yes
Baynes yes.
Dellavedova gets a bit of time for a shit Cavs team.
T maker has been a busy to date.
Exum is rarely healthy.
Bolden is in G League nowadays
Adel, Humphries and McDowellWhite all g league level.
Green just a kid but with enormous potential.
Makur Maker a high schooler.

The talent isn't as good as people think.

Reply #775837 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus thanks BA for acting to change a system and model proven to fail at winning medals given the rapidly closing window with this golden generation.
Disappointingly it appears they are hanging their hopes solely on Simmons, B delivering the holy grail and rather than installing a proven winner at international level have gone with a coach who has previously underperformed at international level but who guarantees Simmo will play and who will make this all about him.
Simmo is unproven internationally and we need look only to Giannis struggles at the World Cup recently to see that one player won't get it done. It’s not the NBA.

Still, Nostraballmus commends the change as no way we would medal with the previous approach and mentality.

Reply #775839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons supporting cast at International level is MUCH better that what Giannis had to deal with lol

Brett Brown will have a much better second stint imo. Having been there before and now with proven talent that HE has solely coached at the highest level already will only help his cause.

I have little sympathy for Lemanis, he was ok, not great and made some very questionable inclusion/exclusions over the years.

Reply #775840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Last I checked Bolden wasn't in the NBA either" Yes he is Koberulz you fkn spud, biggest wanker on the forum.

Reply #775841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be a better chance at a 2024 medal than 2020 to be honest.
Simmons at or near his peak.
Green, Exum , Bolden and T Maker. If that quartet live up to their potential.
Cotton and Landale( who could be in NBA by then) make that team something to look forward to.

Reply #775842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden has appeared in two NBA games for a total of 5 mins and 2points. 1ppg.
Superstar that everyone wants in the Boomers haha.

Reply #775843 | Report this post

Leighton  
Years ago

Spain were beasts in the closing stages of WC Semi. Was disappointing to see Australia go down, but amazing to watch Spain galvanise as a force down the stretch. Spain didn't have amazing group stage performances, but when it came time to show up, man that was impressive. Hopefully Coach and playing group for Australia at Olympics can peak at the right time of the tournament. Maybe it’s some luck, but usually it’s the right game plan and having players who can force their will when the game is on the line.

Reply #775844 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Last I checked Bolden wasn't in the NBA either" Yes he is Koberulz you fkn spud,
He isn't though.

Could be a better chance at a 2024 medal than 2020 to be honest.
Simmons at or near his peak.
Green, Exum , Bolden and T Maker.
Two massive egos and an unproven kid. No Bogut, Ingles, or Dellavedova. Mills and Baynes questionable.

This is the last year of the window. Which makes it so utterly inexplicable that we're choosing now to completely change direction.

Reply #775845 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

" Bolden has appeared in two NBA games for a total of 5 mins and 2points. 1ppg.
Superstar that everyone wants in the Boomers haha."

He has achieved what 99 % of Aussie pro basketbalkers will never achieve in their
lifetimes ~ becoming an NBA player. You dumbass

Reply #775846 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

If Bolden never plays for the Boomers again I wouldn't give a shit. You can say what you want about Lemanis, and maybe he mismanaged the situation, but he committed himself to the campaign and then walked out on his teammates and the nation. He can go play the flesh flute for that.

"Spain were beasts in the closing stages of WC Semi. Was disappointing to see Australia go down, but amazing to watch Spain galvanise as a force down the stretch. Spain didn't have amazing group stage performances, but when it came time to show up, man that was impressive. Hopefully Coach and playing group for Australia at Olympics can peak at the right time of the tournament. Maybe it's some luck, but usually it’s the right game plan and having players who can force their will when the game is on the line."

Spain has guys like Marc Gasol who just seem to rise to the occasion and who will always find a way to emerge at some point of a big game. Australia still doesn't have that guy you can ride til the end. They tried with Patty but when the moment was its biggest, he burned out. I don't think Simmons is going to be the guy to give us plays when we really need it either. People don't seem to realize it was how this group worked as a team that allowed them to do what they've been doing.

Reply #775847 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He isn't though.

https://www.nba.com/sixers/roster/

Reply #775848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

zodiac He did play for the 76ers this year which makes him an nba player

Reply #775849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issues Lemanis had with Simmons and Bolden is well-documented. I'm more interested in this:

"At least one potential Boomer who was told that he was in consideration to be part of the extended 2019 World Cup squad wasn't told about his omission, and instead found out when the team was released, sources said.

On top of all of that, the past two years has seen tensions develop between the Boomers’ senior players and Basketball Australia’s high performance team, sources said, adding another layer to an environment many felt needed a revamp." - Olgun Uluc

I've read a few reports making similar claims, but none go into more detail. What was the supposed source of tensions between Lemanis and our senior players?

Reply #775850 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lemanis has a very respectable record as Boomers coach. Two baskets away from earning two bronze medals.

I'm not sold on Brown.

But if this is the most likely path for Ben Simmons joining the team, then maybe it's worth it.

Reply #775852 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Still, Nostraballmus commends the change as no way we would medal with the previous approach and mentality."

Wait a second, the Boomers were literally a basket away from a medal at two consecutive major tournaments. At the World Cup, we clearly lacked depth at guard. For Tokyo, we potentially have both Exum and Simmons to insert. Plus Broekhoff. Plus alternatives at the 4 such as Maker. Then consider that the Olympics have just 9 quality teams. Plus we should have a higher seeding, although that mightn't be as beneficial as a higher seeding at the World Cup. So unless Simmons acts precious and demands a new coach, what exactly makes Lemanis *less* likely to medal in Tokyo.

You can argue that other teams will send more of their A-level talent, but that will make a medal just as difficult under any coach.

Nearly all of the perceived criticism of Lemanis becomes void when the Boomers have more depth available to them.

Reply #775854 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

My biggest issue with this is it is a gamble.

Put it this way, with Lemanis, you know what you're going to get. You're going to be in the ball park of a medal. You may not necessarily get that medal, but you'll knock on the door. In doing so, probably 60 percent chance you do that knocking without Ben Simmons and Jonah Bolden (booo!)

With Brett Brown, you raise your chances to about 80 percent of getting Ben Simmons and Jonah Bolden (booo!) but you could come anywhere between 12th and 1st. You have no reference of what kind of team or play style to expect. And the only comparable tournaments he has coached in have seen him finish 8th and 10th.

With Lemanis, you have a guy that has a set play style that has achieved a certain level of success with the core of the team. It has not taken us as far as we had hoped, but at least we are in the ball park.

With Brett Brown, he will have about six weeks after the finals to assert himself on the program if he makes the Finals series.

So even if we make the assertion that Brett Brown is a better coach than Lemanis, and it's fair enough if people believe that, there is a certain amount of gambling being done with the future of this program, and the last opportunity many of these players have to ever medal.

So the equation is either ride this thing out with the guy who got you there, or take a chance on a new guy and his assumed promise of Ben Simmons.

I'm not gonna say this is the wrong decision but it isn't blindingly obvious that it is the right one either.

Reply #775855 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

News just in that Ben Simmons' favourite childhood teddy bear will be appointed as an official assistant coach of the Boomers. Further security blanket announcements to come.

Reply #775857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought ben simmons already had an assistant coach appointed. Dp

Dont forget that baynes and landale were both carrying injuries into the semi finals. Landale hurt earlier. Dave barloe was almost the perfect 12th man. He was ready to play for every 2nd of every game. Sobey was equally suoer supportive. Are tbey going to put bolden into the team for him to then sook and complain about getting limited or no minutes.

Agreed with ME's last post.

Reply #775859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz has really taken this decision personally it seems. Suggests he has some coaching background perhaps. Take your emotion out of the 'unfairness to lemanis' element and realise, until coaches can go on court and contribute like Ben Simmons can, he is the scapegoat Aussie basketball needs right now. To think lemanis is more important to the boomers than

Lemanis was coach, he got paid to do his job, circumstances meant he was no longer required, it happens.

Reply #775860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Simmons stay in the Olympic village with other athletes or a private hotel with some Kardashian thing?

Does he travel by limousine or with his teammates?

Reply #775861 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Critics of Lemanis: "Lemonass selected his own Brisbane players Sobey and Gliddon! It is wrong for the coach to appoint his players who otherwise wouldn't be there had he not been the coach!" (Argument: cronyism)

[Reports BA hired Simmons' own coach to lure him into playing]

Critics of Lemanis: "Great decision. It is fine for players to influence the appointment of a new coach who wouldn't have been appointed had said players were not playing." [Argument: BA sanctioned cronyism is cool if it guarantees certain favourite players play]

Isn't anyone else concerned that this sets a dangerous precedent for demands to be met, including the composition of the team and coaching staff, in order to play? This is opening the door wide open to cronyism, if it has not already been welcomed in.

BA must like the idea of negotiating with players to just get them to play for their nation in future tournaments. What happened when Simmons reportedly requested a personal chef? Did BA refuse, or Simmons withdrew anyway? What is next? "The coach needs to put me in my favourite playing role with more minutes"? Oh, wait, Bolden did that already.

Yeah, I can see this selfish me-first mindset leading to great success and perfect team harmony.

Reply #775862 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Spot on, rjd.

Reply #775863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rjd, koberules, keep crying . LOL

Reply #775864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz you're such a negative piece of shit, what happened to make you so sour? Jonah Bolden is on an NBA roster has played NBA games this season. He is in the NBA. People stop listening to this loser.

Reply #775865 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I took the point as Bolden not just falling out of the 76ers rotation, but he has been relegated to the g-league, no longer on a regular NBA game roster. I don't know how many games he has played in the g-league, but I read he dominated one recent game. Bolden is unproven at international FIBA level, but I think it translates well. Bolden also has experience playing Euro FIBA ball. The only question mark is his attitude.

Reply #775867 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

*Bolden'game translates well to international FIBA level.

Reply #775868 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I thought ben simmons already had an assistant coach appointed. Dp

Correct - David Patrick who was with him at LSU and earlier in Aus. So Patrick, Brown and Teddy. More friends to come.

Reply #775870 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Two baskets away from earning two bronze medals.]

Actually, what I should've said- one iffy ref decision from an Olympic Bronze, and one Party Mills free throw from a World Cup final where we would've been big favorites.

I've never understood the criticism of this guy. Not since Rio anyway, and definitely not since The World Cup.

Reply #775874 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Who wins... A Lemanis coached team without Simmons and Bolden, or a Brown coached team with those 2 playing?

Reply #775875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone on his is criticizing Simmons and Bolden need to have a good look at yourself. Once again the tall poppy syndrome is coming from all angles.

What you don't realize is they're not the problem. BA have placed Lemanis with
Brett Brown, who in 2012 coached the boomers and whilst he is coaching the 76ers, which will keep him occupied until at least April and possibly June if they make the finals. Simmons and Bolden is not the problems.

He will most likely not have time put in place a system that will be strong enough to play for a medal.
His fiba experience is outdated from when he last coached the boomers in 2012.
He doesn't have relationship with key nba players.

And lets face it. BA relationship with past, current and aussies players who are in college that could potentially become a boomer, is non existent.
Brett Brown as the boomers coach doesn't repair some deep rooted issues that are far from being resolved and because of that, don't expect a medal in Tokyo!

Reply #775876 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Who wins... A Lemanis coached team without Simmons and Bolden, or a Brown coached team with those 2 playing?]

Good question

But I think the issue is bigger- Simmons playing in Tokyo probably increases the chances of a long term buy in to the Boomers program

So, the Brown appointment could reasonably be considered a part of a long term investment in getting Simmons on board.

Reply #775886 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And of course, it doesnt guarantee Simmons even plays in Tokyo- but it should hugely increase the chances

Reply #775887 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I don't see how college links is relevant. There is no one in college right now who is going to Tokyo.

Reply #775889 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I don't see why some people are talking about Bolden as though he's even close to a lock. After pulling out like that, I'd be fine with him not getting a look in.

Having said that, I think ideally we'd go in to Tokyo with the 9 guys who played in the rotation in China and replace Barlow, Sobey and Gliddon with Simmons and Broekhoff and then one of Maker, Motum, Exum, Bolden, Cooks, Adel, Humphries depending on form and team balance.

More of those guys could get in at the expense of Goulding or Creek, but I think that first 9 showed they're worthy of those spots.

Reply #775890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Everyone on his is criticizing Simmons and Bolden need to have a good look at yourself. Once again the tall poppy syndrome is coming from all angles.

What you don't realize is they're not the problem"

So who/what is the problem then? You can't say that everyone has tall poppy syndrome without going on to explain what you think the issues are.

Reply #775894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh Green is at college and shoukd be in the final training squad at least.

Reply #775896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you don't have Josh Green on your list then you need to reassess your list.

Reply #775898 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

BA must have felt under pressure during the last champs. Such a strong team that so many said would medal because it would be full of NBA players.

Now that it's over And they’ve had time to think ... It’s a pretty poor look when Australia’s best player refuses to play for the current coach, very embarrassing for BA. It probably also meant a big loss of media attention and therefore $$$. (Imagine the media attention when Ben AND the Kardashians are associated with the team!) On top of that, Andre probably needs a break so he can concentrate on his struggling Brisbane team, which the NBL needs to be successful. And, of course, Brett had been told last season that anything less than Conference championship was going to cost him his job. (If he wins the Conference, he goes out a winner anyway.) And, to top it off, we’d have so many NBA stars (as far as the general public and fanboys are concerned) available to work under a successful NBA coach who everybody loves anyway.

Such a simple solution, isn’t it? The media attention and $$$ will be flowing in, everyone will be rushing to play, the coach is everyone’s Mr Nice Guy and is great in front of the media, and with a roster of NBA stars we can’t possibly lose. Simples.

Reply #775900 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

They should Crown on board as a sponsor......oh wait

Reply #775907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The die is set unfortunately. Anything less than a medal now in Tokyo and Brown must fall on his sword.

Reply #775908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see it now,
Lemanis gets the nz coaching job and constructs a team that beats us in Asia cup qualifying.

Reply #775911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Bogut needs to get a gig with the 76's at the end of the NBL season.

Reply #775916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Johan Bolden even going to play for the guy who put him down into the G-League or will that hurt his future contract status again when that same coach is no longer his potential NBA coach and he isn't getting promised starters minutes?

Reply #775927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti claims Lemanis resigned rather than jumped, that there was no preasure from BA, he had just lost the urge, In my historical experience of BA, this is extreemly plausible,

Like most organisations , they hate change, I think only Smyth got "told" and that only after loosing a WC place to NZ,

can easily see Lemanis abdicating, particularly if he saw great difficulties with Bolden and Simmons ahead.

One Mills foul shot from a g'teed silver and sossible gold ? - soooo true

Reply #775929 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"More of those guys could get in at the expense of Goulding or Creek, but I think that first 9 showed they're worthy of those spots."

Cram, you seem to be under the mistaken belief that BA rewards past good performances. ;-)

Reply #775944 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Tall poppy syndrome to explain the attitudes towards Bolden don't hold up to scrutiny. Bolden was on most people's list as their starting 4-man for the World Cup. From what I recall, and anyone is welcome to prove me wrong, most people who now claim Bolden is not a lock, or say they don't care if he isn't selected, had Bolden on their World Cup team, usually as a starter.

As for Simmons, the criticism comes from him not making himself available to play, and seemingly making demands to play. That's not tall poppy syndrome. Surely everyone wants our best player to buy into the national team.

Reply #775945 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Boti claims Lemanis resigned rather than jumped, that there was no preasure from BA, he had just lost the urge, In my historical experience of BA, this is extreemly plausible,"

It is plausible, but it is also plausible that this is PR spin to save face for Lemanis while also removing BA from blame by those who wanted Lemanis to stay in the job. PR win-win.

Reply #775946 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Interesting Ben Simmons quote here. Fruedian slip, slip of the tongue, missprint, or speaking frankly?

"I'm looking forward to it, he’s coaching me now, I’ve known him my whole life, but I’m excited to put together a great team and a great coaching staff," Simmons said.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/us-sports/nba/aussie-ben-simmons-hits-first-career-three-pointer/news-story/3630202d6cd47963a8f063e3820965ac

Might be a slip of the tongue but it does sound somewhat like he's involved on that end of things.

Reply #775949 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well there you go.

This can only end well.

BA at their finest.

Reply #775950 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Why not just replace BA with the Kardashians before Tokyo instead of afterwards?

Reply #775951 | Report this post

Ph50  
Years ago

I don't see what is so hard to understand about this?

Lemanis is an excellent coach. He has proven that.
However he is also well known to be very old-school in his interpersonal approach. He's arrogant, condescending, and it is very much "his way, or the highway."
There are a lot of coaches like that, but successful senior coaches have adapted, he hasn't.

For those players that have made it through, and stuck around, he is apparently very loyal and generally enjoys strong relationships with those players.
I believe that given time he will mould an exceptional team at Brisbane, just as he did in New Zealand.
He's also done a commendable job with the core of the current boomers squad. However his style clearly makes it difficult to draw in new emerging players from the far-flung corners of the world.

There were several key players missing from the World Cup team, all with varying levels of excuse. What has now been made abundantly clear is that most of those notable absences stem from issues with Lemanis.

We all know Simmons is a spoiled brat. Unfortunately if we are going to have superstars in the NBA that is something our coach must be able to deal with. It takes a different approach but there is no reason Simmons can't become as loyal to the Boomers as Bogut.

Funnily enough, I feel the final straw was the inclusion of Caddee, Sobey, and Gliddon. In the final analysis, Sobey and Gliddon only made the team because nobody else was available, and their presence made no difference. However the visual this created was damming. Simmons and Co all missing whilst Lemanis' mates are included.

Its also ironic that Lemanis did so well that he created the impression that inclusion of even one of those better players should have resulted in a medal.

As others have said, the pressure is now firmly on Brown. He must deliver a full-strength team, and a medal in Tokyo.

Reply #775952 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It is plausible, but it is also plausible that this is PR spin to save face for Lemanis while also removing BA from blame by those who wanted Lemanis to stay in the job. PR win-win.

Of course it was all PR spin LK was just waiting for the sale of the Bullets to go through before hand.

Reply #775954 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"there is no reason Simmons can't become as loyal to the Boomers as Bogut."

Those with memories long enough would remember how far from loyal Bogut appeared to onlookers from 2008-2016. There were injuries, sure, but I also believe he pulled out sometimes due to personal reasons as well.

Reply #775957 | Report this post

'The die is set unfortunately. Anything less than a medal now in Tokyo and Brown must fall on his sword.' Not unfortunately; medal is the minimum requirement with this group. BA have finally seen that and made a potential medal winning change.

For those suggesting the change shouldn't have been made, I laugh at the suggestions that repeatedly failing somehow justifies retaining the personnel and systems that have produced the repeated failures in the misguided belief that they will somehow then produce success. If Lemanis has walked, i commend the man for his strength of character in seeing he was no longer the one to get the best results out of this group.

Enough about Brown not having time to implement a 'system'too. Lemanis's much vaunted 'system' didn't work repeatedly anyway. These are essentially All Star teams thrown together with minimal preparation. The teams with the best talent, healthiest and able to work together enough will win. Look at Spain. No amazing system there, but talent, depth, desire and execution under pressure.

While a proactive change, one senses this will now be a splintered group, with the new Simmons camp moving in over and above the old guard of Mills, Baynes, Delly, Bogus. Will Brown try and harness them all, or will we see him bring his squad in ? Dont expect (m)any NBL players in Tokyo.

Reply #775959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point Ph50

It's medal or it’s total failure, less teams and games so should be easier. The pressure is on.

Reply #775960 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I applaud a great decision by BA. Given that the team is mostly NBA level players, it makes sense to have an NBA level coach.

Reply #775962 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

BigBen'sBabyBlankieBrettBrown

Nice nickname. BA go ahead and recruit not the best coach but the best arse licker of Ben. One of the worst sports federations in the world.

Reply #775965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JR

Name your squad of nba players and their positions. Swing us doubters around.

Reply #775966 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Anonymous- you make a list of likely selections and then tell me who has not played NBA. Very few of them

Reply #775969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm looking forward to it, he's coaching me now, I’ve known him my whole life, but I’m excited to put together a great team and a great coaching staff," Simmons said.

ok, let's hope Ben get rid of the nbl players too, they are not up to the task. ( except Cotton, Bogut, Creek )

Reply #775973 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

BBBBBB

"Look at Spain. No amazing system there, but talent, depth, desire and execution under pressure."

FFS. Have you actually watched Spain over the last 10 years with their golden age group. Sure they had great players but their structure and teamwork have been a joy to behold*

*If you know anything about basketball?

Reply #775974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JR

I don't know enough about the nba, that’s why I need your knowledge to put a team together. It can’t be that hard for you.

Reply #775978 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

For those who say that Lemanis' system has repeatedly failed seem to overlook the great results we have had under him. One could say reaching for Mars and only getting to the moon. Still commendable, far from failure.

In international ball, the weakest teams are the BEST from their regions. To get as far as we have & still do, says that Lemanis and his system is far from failure status. We want better? Sure. But what we really want is a tiny bit of better. Many of you have said things like; only a missed free-throw to make the gold-medal game, a bad call near the end of a game and so on. and yes, the fact that our real superstars were just plain buggered by the end of the tournie suggesting that back-ups were inappropriate selections. Too few of the available roster doing too much of the required work.

So, i think that the only issue is Ben Simmons (Bolden would be handy but not nearly important enough to give him any sort of input into coaching).

Once again I will repeat what is becoming my favourite come-back. Isaac Asimov's quote, "Don't let your ethics stop you from doing what's right". In this case, my ethics say keep Lemanis but I know that the right thing to do is to not (keep him). Sorry, Drey!

Reply #775985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robt, that last line is the absolute guts of it and I agree. Its not fair in some eyes, it sucks, its life, these sort of unfair work related things happen daily, but any organisation will put profits of any kind (in this instance, ON COURT talent) ahead of anything or anyone else. Hence, for whatever reason, Lemanis who has rubbed Ben up the wrong way I guess, had to go for the better of the cause.

Reply #775986 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No arguments there but that doesn't mean BA should go and hire his club coach.

Reply #775988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole core issue though, is that Ben Simmons, clearly wants his club coach.

Brown, is an NBA coach, he has gained a lot more experience since his last go around, and again like it or not, Ben Simmons has most likely held the Boomers ransom, and he has got the talent to use his pull on this one. If Ben had wanted, Dave Claxton, he probably would've got his wish lol

Reply #775989 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think the hiring of BB really kills two birds with one stone. They needed a good replacement for Lemanis and someone who was willing to spend x amount of time in Australia as BB does and being the coach of Simmons (and Bolden) in the NBA should go some way to ensuring Simmons plays in Tokyo.

BB is an especially ideal replacement as on the surface it appears his NBA coaching days are winding down, he lives here in the off-season anyway and he can just ease into semi-retirement with the Boomers job once his NBA job goes.

Reply #775990 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Anything less than a medal and this forum will go crazy.
I'm not a big Lemanis fan either but I'm not convinced Brown will get us a step higher than 2019..

Reply #775994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brown won't, but Brown WITH a dedicated Simmons, will give us a red hot shot. Its not Brown directly, its like Klaw and the PG deal in LA. Klaw only would sign with the Clippers IF PG was signing too. Players hold all the power in this day and age.

Reply #775997 | Report this post

FSTOS
'their structure and teamwork have been a joy to behold'
This was often said about Lemanis’s Boomers too. Great to watch. Not enough to win shit.*
If u know anything about winning at basketball*

Reply #776001 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Haha, a Dave Claxton reference. Gold.

Reply #776009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we are going with exact same team plus Simmons. Have I got this right?

Reply #776010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Anything less than a medal and this forum will go crazy.
I'm not a big Lemanis fan either but I'm not convinced Brown will get us a step higher than 2019.."

Lemanus's reign spanned 5 years.
Even if Brown does not win a medal in 2020
he should be persevered with until the 2024 Olympics.

Reply #776012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad someone appreciated my Dave Claxton reference. I was looking for a glorious and extreme example all in one hit.

Reply #776015 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"These are essentially All Star teams thrown together with minimal preparation. The teams with the best talent, healthiest and able to work together enough will win. Look at Spain"

Essentially All-Star games? Are you serious? Team USA still had more talent than anyone else, with the most respected coach in the NBA, yet where did they end up? At the other end of the preparation spectrum you have Czechia with mostly local league players who had played together for several years, many on the same local league team, overachieving and finishing 6th. All of the top 4 featured coaches who had coached their team in at least 2 other major tournaments. Preparation and chemistry matters. If you want to overachieve, which we will need to do to win gold or silver, or even bronze, we need excellent chemistry.

Reply #776016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That USA team was NOT that talented! Marcus smart, joe Harris... and guys were dropping out with a week before the tournament. That short turnaround would indeed the chemistry. And agreed this it's not an all star event etc but to say the USA were all that talented is a joke in itself. They were ripe for the taking and many took advantage of them.

Reply #776017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The butt-hurting just keeps on coming. - Relax guys you can keep your Lemanis and Caddee man-porn.
First you blamed Jonah Bolton, and now its the evil Ben Simmons who somehow masterminded this. - Who will you blame next eh? - Anything but admit the truth that your hero Lemanis simpl isnt good enough.

Reply #776018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"FFS. Have you actually watched Spain over the last 10 years with their golden age group. Sure they had great players but their structure and teamwork have been a joy to behold*"

Spot on. Anyone calling Spain an all-star team doesn't actually follow international basketball.

Reply #776019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who you going to blame when we run eighth.

Still no one has put up our Olympics team. All you Lemanis knockers. Where is your team?

Reply #776021 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

So much Spain love now. Ooooh have you seen their system 'Ballmus ? You mustnt watch international ball 'Ballmus like I do if u think they arent talented, its their SYSTEM baby.

So why didnt we just go hire Scariolo ?

Reply #776024 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Simmons will pull out of tokyo due to "injury" anyway so all of this would be for nothing

Reply #776048 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm glad someone appreciated my Dave Claxton reference. I was looking for a glorious and extreme example all in one hit.

Old school references aren't appreciated on here. Not sure whether it's down to people on here being new to the league or memory loss.

Reply #776055 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Classics archive on NBL TV is a start but I wish there was wider availability of historical information regarding the NBL. When I first stumbled across the tape trading thread on the other forum I was super excited at the opportunity to get my hands on some older vision but outside Ellis/Grace/Fisher/Vlahov/Crawford for Perth and the absolute top tier from other clubs or guys that still had significant presence in the early 00s, I had no idea what to look for.

Even growing up as a Wildcats fan I'd never heard of guys like Roland Brooks, Dan Clausen, Craig Fitzsimmons, or Adam Brennan. I had no idea who Darryl Pearce and Al Green were.

Compare that to the NBA where everyone knows Wilt, Russell, West, Magic, Bird, etc.

Reply #776059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, is there a inside joke I'm not familiar with? Old school analogies are the best, even if it does bring up some sad times from 1997, if you're a 36er fan lol

Reply #776062 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

All this talk about Brown is interesting considering his past record with the Boomers.

Why not give someone like Beveridge a go.

He is a very good coach.

Knows the players and a lot of them would play for him.

Not a yes person like some.

Would certainly be worth a go.

Reply #776078 | Report this post

Those wondering why not Beveridge might do well to investigate why he left Illawarra and why Sydney Kings didn't pick him up, nor any of the new NBL teams.

There's a story there.

Reply #776089 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I think there are two, rather obvious points:

A guy who keeps getting his contract renewed in the best league in the world, is assumed to be a better coach than a guy who keeps getting the arse in the NBL.

Most of our top players are based in the NBA. Having a guy in the same league as their National Coach has a lot of advantages:
BB will be able to have regular f2f meetings with most of his players, something the pacific Ocean precludes for an Australian based coach.
If indeed NBA players are precious and need delicate handling then presumably BB is experienced with that.
He will be coaching against many of the players and hence see their strengths and weaknesses first hand.
etc, etc.

Reply #776114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beveridge only left Illawarra because of to many conflicts with the owner.

Reply #776116 | Report this post

"BB will be able to have regular f2f meetings with most of his players"

You're delusional. Simmons yes, Bolden maybe, and that’s all that matters to BA with this appointment. Hardly think ol BB is gonna be flying across the US to Utah, San Antonio, Celeveland, Phoenix etc regularly you have coffee with his Boomer boys during an 82 game nba season and playoffs.

Hilarious !

“Sorry boys won’t see u at practice tomorrow I’m off to Phoenix for coffee with Baynesey “

Reply #776119 | Report this post

When it comes to Brett Brown as coach, I have come around to it a bit recently. Chances are the playbook wont change that much and most assistants will stay on in the interest of continuation. But the big red flashing light is definitely the placating of Simmons. Whether it was the reason this happened or not is hard to say but you can get that he will be 'the man' on the team and the equal opportunity play style will probably end up being toyed with to include him for better or worse.

Reply #776122 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

" You're delusional. Simmons yes, Bolden maybe, and that's all that matters to BA with this appointment. Hardly think ol BB is gonna be flying across the US to Utah, San Antonio, Celeveland, Phoenix etc regularly you have coffee with his Boomer boys during an 82 game nba season and playoffs. 

Hilarious ! "

when the 76ers play the jazz, suns, spurs, maverick, pistons I am sure Brown will definitely have a chat, face to face meeting with his potential nba boomers, you dumbass.

Reply #776136 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

ME please elaborate on why Bevo wasn't picked up by other NBL teams.

Reply #776140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #776141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #776142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

300 yesssss

Reply #776143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny how the best Brisbane can hope for this year is 4th place, the same as last year lol

Reply #776144 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lemanis is a 4th place expert. Olympics/NBL/World Cup three-peat.

Reply #776147 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

kr agreed it's a real shame with the NBL TV coverage back then being regionalised - it was what it was. I recall outside of Wildcats games the only ones televised in Perth not involving the home side were Grand Final series, which would lead to a weird feeling of watching two neutral teams. Not even replays of other games in the middle of the night. The only people who had access to all live games were satellite enthusiasts who could catch the various beams sent to the away side's broadcaster on C-band. Cal Bruton apparently has a big collection on VHS which may have been sourced via this method?

Once the regional TV deals were scrapped and the only coverage was national via ABC/Foxtel it took a while to adjust to not watching my team every week.

In saying that (my original point) is that a lot of the references thrown out by me are actually post-2000 yet no one seems to recall much at all?

#776062 you're a gem.

Reply #776149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JR

Still waiting for your Olympic team, put it together for us, BB and BA obviously read hoops so you can help them out.

Reply #776150 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Beveridge only left Illawarra because of to many conflicts with the owner"

Same reason he left Perth.

Like most Perth fans, I had huge love and admiration for Rob Beveridge. However his behaviour after he left the Perth job soured that.

Game Night in Perth would find him ensconced in the bar across the street, telling anyone who would listen what a shit coach Gleeson was and how many of the players were on the verge of quitting.

Reply #776192 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"You're delusional. Simmons yes, Bolden maybe, and that's all that matters to BA with this appointment. Hardly think ol BB is gonna be flying across the US to Utah, San Antonio, Celeveland, Phoenix etc regularly you have coffee with his Boomer boys during an 82 game nba season and playoffs."

You can't really be that big of an idiot?

During the season he will actually be on the same court with many of them. Even if he only gets a 30 second chat before they head to the airport, its far better than any Australian based coach would get.

Phonecalls & Skype are much easier too when there is littel or no time difference.
And if he does want to organise a meet up, its a lot easier to take a 1hr commuter flight, than a 20 flight across the pacific.

Then of course there is the off-season, again much easy when they all live in the same country.

Reply #776193 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Brown doesn't live in the US in the off season, does he?

Reply #776201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, you really don't know what Brett Browns whereabouts in the off-season is. He has been known to take time out in Australia, but unless you're tracking his every move, this is a weak argument. Do you know where he will be living this offseason?

I love the passion to keep fighting this appointment, but its time you move into the new age. Players of a certain ilk, dictate terms nowadays. Deal with it.

Reply #776222 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't blame Beveridge for not taking it well. Marvin was an absolute dick to him about applying for the Boomers head coaching position.

Reply #776302 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulz, you really don't know what Brett Browns whereabouts in the off-season is.
I don't, that's why I asked the question.

Reply #776306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're playing dumb now buddy.

Your previous question was implying that he resides in Australia, which he has done previously, and I'm sure you would be aware of.

Now he has the lucrative Boomers job, I'm sure that will effect his offseason living one way or the other.

Reply #776315 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bahahaha "lucrative".

And no, not playing dumb. I asked because I recalled someone saying he didn't but I wasn't sure.

Reply #776317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I threw lucrative in their just for you ;)

He has been known to live between the US and Aus, best of both worlds I guess.

Reply #776320 | Report this post

Mayor  
Years ago

Browns last performance...

https://australia.basketball/blog/2012/10/29/boomers-farewell-coach-brett-brown/

Reply #776332 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

#150- go have a banana mate. And whilst I pleasure yourself realise I am not here to follow your commands shit stick

Reply #776335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JR

I thought you would be helpful but you are just another troll. It's easy to put rubbish on coaches and bag local players but you can’t even give me the side you think can win gold. You are a total non achiever that can’t even put your Australian nba team together.

Reply #776344 | Report this post

Hey

Brett here. Team's already picked. Here it is.

Simmo
Azza
Bogie
Jingles
Patty
Ryano
Dante
Delly
The Flying Karate Kick
JoJo
Jockstrap
CG

Reply #776354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In name form please, I don't know all the nick names, thanks :)

Reply #776368 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Simmo
Azza
Bogie
Jingles
Patty
Ryano
Dante
Delly
The Flying Karate Kick
JoJo
Jockstrap
CG "

This is hilarious! The only one I can't work out is JoJo!

Reply #776379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Azza? Jock strap? Jo jo?

Reply #776388 | Report this post

My mate Azza Baynes, gonna fly to Phoenix all the time for coffee with him
Jockstrap Landale, I need someone to talk trash in Lithuanian
JoJoJonah, my boss wants to sell more Sixers gear in Oz right

Reply #776421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have tried to imagine what could possibly have made Kobedick so bitter and screwed up.
Best I can figure he's one of those poor dudes trapped in a dingy care-facility somewhere. He suffered some horrendous injury and is completely paralysed from the neck down, can't hear, speak, eat, or breath on his own. His only way of communicating with the world is by typing with one of those head-mounted pokers.
So much bottled up rage and hatred. He just sits there all day in his own waste, feverishly pecking at the keyboard like a demented Ibis.

Reply #776436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis to coach NZ at Olympics?

Reply #776678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I have tried to imagine what could possibly have made Kobedick so bitter and screwed up."

I like how you used your own mental shortcomings to try and make a point about KR.

Reply #776682 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Jo Jon= Joe Ingles, I guess.

Reply #776685 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Phonecalls & Skype are much easier too when there is littel or no time difference."

ummm...

There are 6 main time zones in the USA (4 in the continental USA, plus Alaska and Hawaii).

"Offset” is up to 4 hours.

Reply #776692 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

it's hard to give up on true love, sometimes we pretend to be fine but we are not, fighting to get the one we love is also fighting to get back our joy and happiness. Robinson buckler is here to help the broken hearts for he’s capable and able to get your EX lovers, partners, wife and husband back with he’s powerful love spells. he also cured me from Herpes Get in touch with his email through Easily get in touch with {{ROBINSONBUCKLER @ YA HOO. CO M}}

Reply #776866 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

[email protected]

Hope your inbox gets spammed now by me unobfuscating it.

Reply #776889 | Report this post

"Lemanis to coach NZ at Olympics?"

Yeah, nah. New Zealand would have to get through the qualifying tournaments, and those things are about as tough as the Olympics itself. Not happening.

Reply #776895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing confirmed yet, it might not be that straight forward. He'd be entitled to be paid out his salary. I’d love to no what Bogut thinks, you would think he’d get his opinion in.

Reply #776900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There are 6 main time zones in the USA (4 in the continental USA, plus Alaska and Hawaii).
"Offset" is up to 4 hours."

What a fucking retard.

Reply #776925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I like how you used your own mental shortcomings to try and make a point about KR."

You're making even less sense now Kobe Dick.

Maybe ring the bell and get your diaper changed.

Reply #776926 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

This one goes into the 'Disappointing, but not unexpected' basket!

Reply #776958 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754