D2.0
Years ago

Will Wesley Naturalise?

And if so, where?

When he played for United, he was supposedly working on it, but then went back to NZ and we didn't hear any more.
He may have left it too late, but is fast approaching the point where he just can't hack it as an import.
(Don't get me wrong, he's still better than many imports, especially those recruited by SEM, but those guys haven't lasted.)

Topic #46673 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Will Wesley?

Reply #784827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's the guy who refuses to wear glasses or contact lenses.

Reply #784829 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Legend has it Will Wesley is extremely calm.

Reply #784830 | Report this post

JD  
Years ago

I rate him. He has only recently come back from an extended injury layoff. I don't think you can grade him yet on how he compares vs other imports. At his best he’s still just about the best on the block, solid passer and can hit the outside 3.

Reply #784844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would be pretty stupid if he hasn't already got ball rolling. Wouldn't think he would be too far off the mark cash wise currently as either import or local but in a couple of years would see his salary remain fairly high even if his production drops and not worth an import spot. And cashed up clubs would really be after him then.
Surprised a lot more imports go after naturalization earlier in career. Can see it's a great lifestyle here and numerous imports before have called Australia home, why not as a business decision become an Aussie and become a more valuable commodity. What Slovenia did with Anthony Randolph and push his paperwork through early was beneficial for both sides, country filled need and player gets European passport.

Reply #784854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naturalise him now, he's a grown man with mouths to feed!

Reply #784865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Wesley as calm as Tai Weaver is grown.

Reply #784877 | Report this post

Do you mean will Tai Wesley Naturalised?

Reply #784880 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Problem is he will be 34 by the time next season starts which is no spring chicken. I think a lot of fans forget his age.

Whether or not he naturalises, I think that, regardless, he won't have too long left of his career (and he will find it hard to command big dollars and/or get a gig as he continues to age and his production declines - especially with the continued talent coming from college returnees who are a lot cheaper).

Reply #784918 | Report this post

tribe  
Years ago

Is he naturalising as a kiwi or aussie

Reply #784950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Do you mean will Tai Wesley Naturalised?"

Who else would he mean?

I remember the farce that was him being allowed to play as a local for United, the reasoning being that he would be lost to the league if he had to play as an import. He made the all NBL 2nd team and helped Melbourne "win" a title, and has signed contracts for two different teams since then.

Reply #784952 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Problem is he will be 34 by the time next season starts which is no spring chicken. I think a lot of fans forget his age."

Correct.
Whilst he can hold his own as an import, no problem. But his output will start dropping off over the next season or so.
Some teams have slots for "bargain imports", but not all, and be counted as a local would certainly widen his career options.

"Is he naturalising as a kiwi or aussie"

That's part of the question. I don't know what the Kiwi rules are?
It could be that moving between the two nations has hindered his chances?
Has he even got PR in either country?
His son was born in NZ.

Reply #784958 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

So why both Naturalise a guy who is out of the league in 2 years and can't be a possible boomer? What value dos he really add other than taking a job of a local?

Surely better to focus on guys like Bryce Cotton who might add value to the national team.

Reply #784986 | Report this post

Considering the three import rule Wesley would still be a quality addition to any teams bench.

Reply #784988 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So why both Naturalise a guy who is out of the league in 2 years and can't be a possible boomer? What value dos he really add other than taking a job of a local?

Surely better to focus on guys like Bryce Cotton who might add value to the national team.
You seem to be under the impression the sport's governing body naturalises people, instead of people doing it themselves.

Reply #784990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What value dos he really add other than taking a job of a local?"

"Dey took 'er jerbs!! Derr derker deeerrrrrrrr!!!"

Reply #784993 | Report this post

#952, Wesley was grandfathered in following the dissolution of the Oceania player rule. He was under contract as a local, and when that contract expired he was only able to sign as an import. Other teams also had players from Oceania region on their rosters, just very few of them were long term NBL prospects.

Reply #785012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I know. I'm saying that he shouldn't have been allowed to play as a local after the Oceania rule was discontinued as a) he was evidently good enough to be a top ten player in the league, and b) it allowed a team to win a title with effectively a fourth import.

Reply #785015 | Report this post

no need to fear bro sydney kings getting the fourth import this year so Larry is sharing it around at least

perth still gonna win the chip doe

Reply #785020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they do it will be the first time ever that a team won a title after being swept out of the semi finals

Reply #785024 | Report this post

Hope Perhaps win da chip.
Us Perthworld brothers, Dazz, Koberulz and others gonna party hard.

Reply #785043 | Report this post

Book it

Reply #785215 | Report this post

Party like its 1995 with Ricky Grace and Aaron Trahair

Reply #785308 | Report this post

Don't forget Craig McAndrew and Matt Earp.

Reply #785329 | Report this post

Alabama slamma

Reply #785334 | Report this post

Anthony Stewart

Reply #785336 | Report this post

jason thompson

Reply #785344 | Report this post

oh yes that massive frontline of Vlahov, Fisher and Crawford..

Reply #785457 | Report this post

dat front line is all natural too!!!

Reply #785476 | Report this post

I forget which year Earnest Ross played for Perth.

Reply #785477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ross played in 2014/15

Reply #785478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:24 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754