Anonymous
Years ago

Dickhead Refs - WHY do ne imports "need to adjust"??

What pisses me off is this whole notion that its perfectly acceptable for refs to be dickheads and "show new imports who's boss." WTF?

We should be reffing to FIBA rules, FIBA standards, and FIBA interpretations. That's it.

Guys coming from the NBA direct, ok sure. But those coming out of Europe should have no need to adjust.
If the rest of the world is doing it different, then we need to adjust, not the other way round.

Europe is our most likely exchange league, so it makes sense to minimise the differences.

Topic #46746 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Saturday arvo on the piss?

Reply #787361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just what we need more referee bashing. Refs hated all over the world in all sports but remember, no refs no game.

Reply #787362 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Refs need to be better at calling the game, players (imports and locals) need to be better at knowing the rules and adjusting to calls.

Nice thread.

Reply #787364 | Report this post

This thread will go well

Reply #787368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angry Angry Man.....

Reply #787371 | Report this post

Goldie  
Years ago

So you cant criticize refs, but when players and coaches have shockers they are fair game?

I have watched the NBL for 25 odd years.
Our leagues officials have not grown one iota.

It is beyond a joke. Mistakes and tough calls happen all the time (coin flips)which is fine.

Even very bad mistakes you can allow a few a game.
Check the tape of games and there are so many glaringly easy decisions that are screwed up.
Some even AFTER reviews.

Its hurt my team, and helped my team at diff points in the season, but as a BBALL fan it sure is hard to support in 2020

Reply #787381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Reffing in 2020 is no different from previous years in the NBL.

Reply #787383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying that referees do need to keep getting better as the quality of the NBL keeps getting better.

Reply #787385 | Report this post

Goldie  
Years ago

You just proved my point beautifully!

Yes, the refs are the same as 1995. This is NOT a good thing

Reply #787392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was that easy to fix don't you think ONE sporting league would have?

Reply #787395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" but remember, no refs no game“

Pretty sure 10 guys can go and play a game of basketball without a ref. But 1 ref can't walk down to a court and ref a game without the players.

Typical ref mentality - don’t forget you are there for the players!!

Reply #787398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you ever seen what happens when it's a call your own fouls game? Dumbest comment ever.

Reply #787406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I second that, dumbest comment ever.

Reply #787408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL and AFL both need to make their refs/umpires a full time job if they want things to improve.

Reply #787409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never realized how many failed Basketballers turned refs there are on this forum....

Reply #787410 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

It probably won't ever improve as players have mastered the act of acting and accentuating "contact". They get better at it every year. Just retroactively start taking players money for this acting and watch things start to improve.

Reply #787417 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"So you cant criticize refs, but when players and coaches have shockers they are fair game?"

So, on the principle you're putting forward, refs should be allowed to tell players and coaches how badly they’’re playing and coaching throughout the games, too. That’ll go well.

I prefer that refs do as they do and ignore the mistakes coaches and players make and the abuse they get from hysterical, prejudiced fans. It’d be nice if some coaches and fans could manage as much self discipline.

Reply #787421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quality of talent in NBL has improved. NBL refereeing has not!! Let Big Mal Cooper sort it out and within a year the game in aus will be easier on the eye!

Reply #787431 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

My guess is OP put $10 on the Sixers, now he is pissed because Centrelink if not for another 2 Thursdays.

Reply #787447 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

You have the benefit of watching replays and picking over their mistakes, they have a spit second to make a call in the heat of the game. Cut them some slack.

I'm a Breakers fan and every game on social media Breakers fan groups I see a casual fan complaining about calls that were blatant fouls like the refs are cheating them out of a win. Most other teams fans are just as bad I’m sure and Sydney even worse lol.

Reply #787468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was worse under Mal Cooper. He is no the answer. smh

Reply #787484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These are not 50-50 calls which benefit of reply help. Stop it.

Explain plumlees block? That was a early whistle of anticipation much like many calls the men on green make.

Many of our refs want to involved, instead of letting the game play out. This doesnt not mean letting the game become a brawl. But honestly, a rebound wrestle and the ball bounces the other direction from the wrestle should not be called. Period.

Reply #787496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same Mal Cooper who thinks that Jesse Wagstaff deserved to be hit with a flying elbow from Childress...no thanks.

Reply #787497 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

OP needs to adjust his meds.

Reply #787506 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

On a side note, has the jump ball rule changed? When two players grab the ball on opposite teams it used to be something like 3 seconds and then a jump ball was called, now it seems as soon as the same thing happens it's whistled immediately. I feel like the rule must have changed right?

Reply #787734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rule never had a criteria of both players holding for 3 seconds. The rule has not changed.

Reply #787749 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So the refs realised they were wrong for allowing three seconds in the past?

Reply #787819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, they never counted to 3. One person's imagination does not equal fact.

Reply #787869 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Reply #787870 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah it was never 3 seconds. That's a long time.
The dickhead refs today are definitely quicker to whistle it than the same dickheads did several years ago, but the dickheads made that adjustment earlier than the start of this season.

Reply #787871 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There was one the other night - pretty sure it was in the Wildcats game - where someone was holding the ball, the definder basically just tapped it, and they called a held ball. That was bizarre.

Reply #787875 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ok maybe not three seconds but they are definitely faster at calling jump balls nowadays.

Reply #787877 | Report this post

Probably more like one or two seconds.

Reply #787879 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hmm, the reffing last Friday was pretty ordinary.

During that fiasco of a review, listen to their conversation, it was clear that the young guy was completely out of his depth and had no clue what was going on. I'm not sure, but I think he was the one who called the off-the-ball foul, and he couldn't understand how the other ref was allowing a shot, taken so far after, to stand.

Then you had the utterly bizarre call, where Wesley wrapped Jook in a bearhug from behind, but because he then got his hands on the ball, the blatant foul was completely ignore and they called it a jump-ball.

I have umpired a lot of sports, and appreciate that there is often a fraction of a second of whirling action to decipher, but if you don't see something then you don't call it. Simples.

Not having access to replays, is NOT an excuse.
That is a reason for NOT calling something you missed, not guessing and making shit up.

Reply #787885 | Report this post

Dickhead refs.
Saltiness on part of the OP.

Reply #787908 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe it's not just the game and refs in Australia that imports are adjusting too, but new players they're unfamiliar with. They're defending different people with different tendencies.

Reply #787913 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed those super quick jump ball calls, players used to have a chance at least for someone to win that ball with their strength.

Reply #787938 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:18 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754