Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Bullets

Massive game today. Adelaide (11/12) host Brisbane (12/11). This is the pointy end of the season where all the champions step up, and all the legends just say "how me beer"

NBL 2020 is a season that will be remember as being one where inconsistency was the most consistent part of the season. Anyone can beat anyone at any time. If Adelaide and Brisbane went to a nightclub to pick up chicks, they would be their own ugly friend.

Brisbane have won their last 5 games straight, but that just means they are one game away from a loss. Will that come tonight?, or will they lob into town, throw the holy grenade of Antioch and then run off into the sunset clapping two coconuts together and making horse noises.

Adelaide, at home, are playing well. It was a 9,000 crowd last game so let's hope we see a similar number. The Brisbane 18ers won't know what hit them. Adelaide will need to have a plan to keep Lamar under control, but one thing is for sure, and that is this game will be high scoring. I'm expecting a 200 point game. To quote Hoops's favourite commentator "dis game will be won by da team that starts playing D first"

This game will be tighter than a fat kid in a rashie and won't be over until the final couple of plays.

Adelaide by 1.

Topic #46777 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane by 7. Adelaide are out of juice I reckon. Gut tells me they aren't all that happy internally. And somehow the bullets who have been woeful are rolling on a 5 game streak and big bad Lamar Patterson!

Reply #788555 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

It's not just Lamar.

Cadee and Gliddon have started to hit shots.

Magnay is improving at a high rate and gaining confidence.

They are even getting decent contributions from Singler and Braun.

I am thinking Adelaide but Brissie are really making some noise at the right time of the year.

Reply #788556 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Brissy runs stops here. Too inconsistent. Cadee singler / braun will be out produced by teys Griffin drmic who can be trusted to out play those bunnies.randle / Patterson be break even. My man DJ becomes the difference plus full house rocking.
Sixers back on final track.

Reply #788558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too inconsistent? They've won 5 straight!!! They have a better record than the 36ers, so you could make an argument, the 36ers are the ones who are inconsistent.

Reply #788559 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

...unless you consider that losing more often shows more consistency.

Reply #788564 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Randle and DJ will get theirs but can't see anyone else stepping up

Reply #788568 | Report this post

It's easy to get caught up in form and go with Brisbane to win but Adelaide at home must win to keep playoff aspirations alive.
Adelaide in a tight one but hope I'm wrong.

Reply #788581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets by 13 .

Reply #788596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane can win this but Sobey against his old team might try hero ball which could give Adelaide a look.

Brisbane by one.

Reply #788602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Breakers fan, I want Adelaide to win this to disrupt Brisbane's roll. I think Adelaide can win this and are just one of those teams who can play brilliantly when least expected. Unfortunately for their fans, they lack consistency. Fingers crossed that Adelaide stop Brisbane, we steal a win in Perth and the next round will be one to watch.

Reply #788604 | Report this post

Randle will get his stats.
Whether Adelaide win is a different matter.

Reply #788606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge game, must win for Adelaide. I think Brisbane will take it though (unfortunately).

Reply #788609 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Cadee and Gliddon have started to hit shots."

Gliddon has regained form but Cadee has shot well almost all year. He's hit 40% or better in 15 of 23 games, that's bloody impressive.

Reply #788616 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

most likely cadee most improved

Reply #788617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee's 3P% is 43% which is outstanding

Reply #788624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Decent commentary again, maybe the nbl are listening. Loving Screen's work, talks about the game. Santa doing good.

Reply #788626 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It feels like Heal has disappeared from commentary compared to when he seemed to be ever present. If so good move.

Reply #788627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Decent commentary??? Love how Screen just got shot down about the fatigue factor. Then comes back and oh, definitely in the 4th quarter

Reply #788628 | Report this post

Dan & Mody  
Years ago

Everyone contributing for Adelaide. 1 or 2 for Brisbane.

Reply #788629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She didn't get shot down, Santa disagreed with her, I’m with Screen, there is fatigue factor, she’s great.

Reply #788630 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Santa & Screen are salvaging what again is extremely irritating commentary.

Reply #788632 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cadee more he shoots - better for Sixers..

Reply #788633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more Cadee plays defence the better it is for the Sixers. Refs now getting the home cooking going now.

Reply #788635 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sixers are making move now. Refs helping.

Reply #788638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thee budget imports from Brisbane been very good last month or so and today.

Reply #788639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cadee more he shoots - better for Sixers"

Yeah good one. 11 points from 5 shots. Should have given him 15.

Reply #788640 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Typical from Sixers letting opposition shoot 3's. Bris with 14 compared to a measly 5 from the Sixers sums up every game they lose. They always play shooters into form.

Reply #788641 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lemanis cruising to yet another 4th place. The man is super consistent both domestically and abroad.

Reply #788643 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

You guys serious? If so, what's your thoughts on Matt Hodginson?

Or Teys being vice captain?
Or "13 turnovers leading to more at the scoreboard in the form of more opportunities". Huh?

Nup I’ve tried to be patient. She’s awful. Unfortunately it’s Gaze Santa then dare I say it.. daylight

Reply #788644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee was -10, Vukona -4, every one else in high positive numbers. I was glad that Lemanis went with Gliddon till two minutes from end. Defence wins games and Adelaide don't play defence.

Reply #788645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has Baby Huey found a personal fitness trainer/chef like patty did ? he seems to be a little thinner ?

Reply #788647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blow it up

Reply #788650 | Report this post

Dan & Mody  
Years ago

The captains: Teys 25min 6 points, White 10min 0 points...

Reply #788651 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Don't blame teys or white... been very gd all year. Neither are elite but role players... collectively team struggles defensively and very top heavy with scoring. Shutdown JR and DJ dries the well...
Moore hurt and lose form been hard to cover...
Still chance but becoming more unlikely...

Reply #788654 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bullets good game plan and great shooting. Sixers had a shocking shooting night, but also bring it on themselves by not attacking their opponents weaknesses to create easier shots.

Showed very little fight tonight in a must win game. What happened to the intent they showed v Melbourne two weeks ago?

Where was Joeys adjustment in the 3rd when Hodgson was dominating us under the basket?

Why do we have so many games where players perform well below their best?

Why do our guys never seem to learn how best to attack an opponent, or play high level D?

Same old problems with this team every year. Would be nice to have a new coach calling the shots, but not sure they can afford to pay him out.

Reply #788657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No coach is going to do to much with that squad, they don't play D. When Kyei has to start because he plays a bit D you are in trouble. Who put the list together is where the finger should be pointed at.

Reply #788662 | Report this post

Dan & Mody  
Years ago

I disagree Teys and White should be more than role players. McVeigh and Dillon are role players. Forget using Moore as an excuse Obi Kyiei, Drimc and Froling dont do enough. If DJ and Randle are not firing (or Joey benches them for too long) they lose...

Reply #788669 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Why are you saying Teys and White should be more than Role Players?

They have been Role players all their NBL careers, what has changed?

Reply #788676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White and Dillon should be retired or men's A grade on a Monday night, McVeigh is premier league standard. Froling has talent and the last few weeks was better but he needs fitnesses which is hard to get when you’ve been told your nba quality most your life and you just think you got turn up.

Reply #788697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with Screen, there is fatigue factor, she’s great

She said there was no fatigue factor, then when Santa made the obvious point that playing 2 games in a couple of days away from home versus the home team who had a full weeks rest she realises she sounds like an idiot. Supposed to be the expert but she just says things just to say things.

At least she didn't crap on about her knowledge of local SA basketball.

Reply #788698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screen would no a lot more about the fatigue factor than Santa, she was a big time player where Santa was a bench warmer, no fatigue there. Good commentator Santa but he knows a lot less about playing than Screen.

Reply #788702 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of course there is a fatigue factor having played two nights ago and traveled, look at how Lemanis spread the minutes, seven guys all between 20-28. Superb player management in the circumstances.

Reply #788713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travelled.
We aren't Sepo's

Reply #788714 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Listening to Screen is akin to a female teacher running her nails down a chalkboard. Your ears hate it and you just don't want to hear it.

Reply #788741 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Sixers management must be pissing themselves laughing - averaged nearly 8,000 attendance per game with a crap team on the floor. Imagine if they spent some real money and put a decent product together!

Reply #788743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take into account the free ticket to kids and Adelaide aren't looking so good

Reply #788745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide are done. But apparently the fans only expected 10 wins or so this is all bonus stuff.

End of the day 36ers were never built to compete, although they should've been. Didn’t need extra stars just to be better supported from the bottom up. Not making the playoffs is what the organisation deserves.

Reply #788748 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

There was a time not so long ago when the Sixers struggled to get 5000 people to a game and the few free tickets they did give out were met with as much excitement as finding a 5 cent coin. Oh and there was no Brisbane team at the time either.

Credit to the Brisbane outfit this afternoon, they played really well and controlled the whole game. The train had some engine problems earlier in the season but Andrej and his team of engineers have it running smoothly again when it matters most.

Reply #788749 | Report this post

Pug Dug  
Years ago

Surely that's it for coach Wright. Has fo go, or I won’t support this club going forward. Aweful man who is no longer getting results

Reply #788770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe Bullets are going to make the playoffs..

Reply #788772 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sixers probably should have staying in Gilligans

Reply #788776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers season has reflected Wright's subbing pattern.

Reply #788778 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, I kinda thought Griffin, 21points in 19mins, given a few more minutes, wouldda been a close game.

Reply #788781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin can score 40 points and you still ain't going to win, you have to get stops and bringing in White as a bench player, defender isn’t going to achieve this when no one else actually plays defence. Griffin isn’t the answer.

Reply #788784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With JVG in charge now will be interesting to see which way Adelaide goes, you would have to think Joey is still going to be coaching though. I would be getting on the phone to Mathew Nielsen as quick as possible to be my coach though. Clean out required in this proud and great club.

Reply #788785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every point griffin gets he gives back at the other end. I've never seen anything so bizarre. Be only tries for the flash block but he has no fundamentals whatsoever.

Great to have fans attending a new arena etc but at some point you have to win and be a playoff threat, or fans will drop off quick smart.

Reply #788786 | Report this post

Pug Dug is on the money.

Reply #788792 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Wright still has time left on his contract.

I think 2 more years.

So he is not going anywhere.

Reply #788802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure that contract could be paid out, if they deem him no longer the right man for the job. I’d say his voice has become redundant in that locker room. That team didn’t show much yesterday, especially when things got challenging in the 4th.

Reply #788803 | Report this post

Surely they could get rid of Wright if they really wanted too.

Reply #788806 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Most of those guys only heard his voice this year white dillon Griffin obei - randle been away. Froling mcveigh newish.
So are you saying DJ drmic teys are not in sync. Not sure who you want to clean out.
Squad needs make over but it's not because joey lost them. Team was regarded start of year as mediocre and has pushed for finals and still crazy chance - so surely these are positives.
Same old every year dummy spitters. One gun player away.

Reply #788808 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think the owner would've hired JVG if he had any intention of sacking Joey. I can't see Joey quitting either with every coach under contract for next season other than Mike Kelly who will likely be re-signed.

Assuming Randle will be back I think Griffin & Moore need to be cleansed. I would also assume DJ is intending to opt out and hoping to get another big 3 year deal from the team.

Drmic & Froling are free agents punt Froling and maybe try and re-sign Drmic although wouldn't kill me if we let him go he's had enough chances over the past four years. Maybe Deng Adel is being targeted?

The new guys like Kyei, Dillon & White all signed 2 year deals so they're likely team options. We can't have Kyei starting next season tries hard but can't play.

Don't forget Mudronja will be coming onto the full roster next season so at least one local player has to go.

Reply #788814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mediocre is an understatement.

Reply #788816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling, drimic both need fresh starts. Harry has some ability, he has a huge body, and considering the fat shaming he receives, he doesn't lag running up and down etc I can see him being one of those guys that abuses Adelaide for years to come. Just don’t think the 6ers are any good off the court at the project side of getting the best out of him.

Drimic is a fearless shooter and competes hard, but he looks frustrated and Adelaide don’t really run anything for him to get going. Shooters should be put in a position to do just that.

JVG has been brought in for some reason, so his work really starts when this forgetful season is done.

Will def be an overhaul one would hope.

Reply #788817 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Keep: Randle, DJ, Drmic, Teys, Kyei, Mudronja

C DJ/
F /Kyei
F Drmic/
G /Teys
G Randle/Mudronja

Import shooter/slasher guard, import defensive big.

Which Aussie bigs and small forwards will be available?

Reply #788818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle won't be back. He has almost every team mate off side

Reply #788819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with the above anon. Randle isn't well liked, and no surprise based on his temperament, he doesn’t seem the type to try adjust and fit in etc has played for a lot of teams, at some point surely you have to wonder why that may be.

Reply #788823 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The owner wouldn't care that Randle isn't well liked by the coach or his teammates he's there purely to draw fans to the games and think it's almost certain he will be back otherwise ehy give him a 2 year deal in the first place it's not like they didn't know what he's like?

Reply #788827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will care, when that dislike leads to more losses. Fans care more about winning than Jerome randle when push comes to shove. Unhappy playing group? That's a very serious issue for any sports team.

Reply #788833 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This team was never going to win this season before the release of Taylor and signing of Randle everyone expected this team to finish down near the bottom of the ladder.

Reply #788834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate this excuse people are making about 'they were always going to be shit'. In what world is that an acceptable mindset for a fan base to have? If the owner thinks he can get away with cheap ass rosters, because fans will flock to games anyways, well that’s on the fans then not the ownership who are making profits etc

Reply #788837 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If you think 36ers make a profit you're a crack pot.

No wonder your thought base is so ludicrous, it’s fundamentally flawed on the expectation money grows on trees.

Adelaide does not have the investment capital to compete salary wise nor are there alternatives waiting to invest.

Reply #788861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ket, cheap rosters and full stadiums will eventually result in profits. Money not spent on rosters is money saved. Unless the full stadiums are due to free tickets. Or the 6ers are laying more than people like yourself say they aren't. Which one is it?

Reply #788914 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"cheap rosters and full stadiums will eventually result in profits."

No - basketball has only been a profitable venture for one club in the NBL and that's Perth.

The simplistic argument you are making shows you aren’t applying even an ounce of thought to the complexities of business and market.

Perhaps cost of a venue, admin costs, revenue through sponsorships, partnerships and other assets have a significant influence on the strength of the business?

“ Or the 6ers are laying more than people like yourself say they aren't. Which one is it?”

Previous paragraph negates the bullshit question, obviously.

Reply #788921 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I have multiple of sources that could get me free 36ers tickets (like 5-10 tix), so Adelaide giving away plenty of free tickets wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. If anything it’s a fairly known thing to occur?

Reply #788922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basically there isn't much point owning a basketball team lol no need to get knarky KET. You know your stuff, I respect that. I just keep my arguments basic, because I don’t really like writing essays on here.

Reply #788930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle has a Euro passport and still can't stick there

Remember his massive Turkey deal that lasted a few games before he got cut. Drama seems to follow him about.

Lucky for the 36ers they have the option to keep him or cut him at seasons end

Reply #788957 | Report this post

Hopscotch  
Years ago

jungle drums beating louder and louder for Joey Wright in Adelaide I hear - will be surprised if he lasts until seasons end

Reply #789115 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

^ wut

Reply #789125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia can only hope hopscotch is correct

Reply #789130 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Joey has 2 more years on his contract.

He ain't leaving.

Reply #789140 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

jungle drums beating louder and louder for Joey Wright in Adelaide I hear - will be surprised if he lasts until seasons end
There's only a couple of weeks left in the season, it would be utterly pointless to let him go now.

Reply #789142 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was January 28th and everybody got up seein if the clothes were dry.
The dogs were barking, a neighbor passed, Mamma, of course, said hi.
Have you heard the news he said with a grin, Joey's gone mad.
Where downtown, when last nite. Hmm, say that's too bad.
Well. there's nothing we can do about it said the neighbor,
it's just something we're gonna have to forget.
Yes, I guess so said Ma. Then she asked me if the clothes was still wet.

Reply #789144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this forum needs drug testing...

Reply #789146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you sack him now. Do a review at seasons end and sack him. Not performing. Pay him ZERO. The let him try and get it.

Reply #789147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ don't have a coach, they have a director of basketball. There are ways if you want to get it done. I don’t necessarily agree with it though.

Reply #789148 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Did NZ's ploy actually work though?

Reply #789153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the previous coach got a pay out, certainly have heard nothing, so probably did work.

Reply #789166 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd imagine he would have had a redundancy payout, hence the "restructuring" BS around the title of coach-->director of basketball.

Reply #789172 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I hadn't heard anything about it until Liam Santamaria rather casually mentioned on a podcast that the story had largely disappeared because it couldn't be discussed while legal action was ongoing. I wasn't even aware at that point that legal action had been taken, but it evidently had.

Reply #789176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers should have kept Taylor & got rid of Moore. The way he's playing now was how he was playing in the beginning of preseason. His game would’ve helped that team but he had the easiest contract to buy out

Reply #789179 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They would've had to pay out Moore's contract though unlike Taylor.

Reply #789185 | Report this post

Go Joey Go  
Years ago

Rupert Sapwell anyone?

Call him Coach, Director of Coaching, Director of Culture.. Whatever you like.

Reply #789189 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754