Wendy Byrd
Years ago

Should United sign Machado and Oliver next year?

We know United's strategy in the past has been to buy some of the bigger name players in the league. Splashy signings so to speak. This year with long and Trimble it didn't work.

But I could see them returning to contention next year if they sign Machado and Oliver as direct replacements. What do you think?

Topic #46787 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt they will try...

Reply #788875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Cairns should

Reply #788876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope they stay at Cairns.

Reply #788878 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Melbourne could do something radical - like find their own players for a change.

Reply #788879 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Since when has cairns become and recruiters for United.

Reply #788880 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

They'll go after Kelly for coach as well.

Reply #788881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it happens, so be it, but it would be terrible for the league

Reply #788883 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

"Since when has cairns become and recruiters for United."

Well they did sign Trimble and also previously McCarron

Reply #788884 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

They should go after Paul Smith as owner too

Reply #788885 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Don't forget newbill he BV the perfect second or third import. Newbill legit

Reply #788886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should do their own scouting.

Reply #788887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver won't be back in the NBL. He'll be in Europe or maybe even get a shot on an NBA bench.

I definitely think Machado will be back, although I doubt it will be Cairns.

Reply #788888 | Report this post

Perth might have a crack at signing Machado.
Would be good if he stays at Cairns though.

Reply #788889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Genuine question - why didn't Casper resign with Melbourne? Was it purely $?

Reply #788893 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Because the GM (Crivelli) is said to have told Casper he was the highest paid player on the team only for Casper to find out that DJ Kennedy actually was.

When Casper signed with Sydney the United GM came out publicly and said they offered Casper the highest contract in team history and he still left anyway.

Reply #788895 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That makes them both look bad

Reply #788896 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

United will have a crack, but Machado and Oliver would be stupid if they went there.

Reply #788898 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dollars talk especially for the younger ones. Look at Trimble took the money at Melbourne and now he's been exposed and buggered up his career a bit at least here in Australia.

I've got a feeling Machado might not be as easily swayed as say Oliver might be but yeah Melbourne will try and poach them as they always do.

Reply #788900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What kind of coin was offered to Casper by united to retain him?

Reply #788901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne would not have to sign players from other teams if Sydney (Ware, Moller, Blatchfield) and Adelaide (Moore, Dillon) did not take theirs. Lets ignore Perth poaching both Norton and Kay in the SAME offseason, not separate like McCarron and Trimble. Or Brisbane signing Craig and Trice. Stupid salty thread.

Reply #788904 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Get them to Radelaide

Reply #788905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne should replace as many players as possible. They do that every off season and it seems to be working well for them. Building up chemistry between players over a number of years is clearly overrated.

Reply #788906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne pinched Moller from Sydney, he left same time as Ware due to wanting go home.

Reply #788916 | Report this post

6er  
Years ago

When your GM can't be trusted, what do you expect of player culture? Lying to players in a small league like the NBL backfires, and quickly.

Reply #788917 | Report this post

Machado over Randle.
Oliver over Griffin.

Reply #788928 | Report this post

Machado over Randle.
Oliver over Griffin.

Reply #788929 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It happens, and its not just MU. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

Oliver is versatile, and fits in well in the NBL. Not sure how he would go in Europe??
And I think he is undersized for the NBA.
He's had a breakout season here, and it would be good to see him stick around.

I think that's what the league should use the tax/subsidy for. Keeping quality players at the lesser clubs. Agree to pay a portion of his salary if he stays at Cairns.

Machado is a different story, but seems a good fit for them, so I'd still like to see him stick around.

Reply #788932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe how bad Melbourne have performed this season, on paper they should be favourites.

Reply #788933 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Reply #788934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tribe, I couldn't agree more.

Reply #788936 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

I'd rather Melbourne change their coach rather than overhaul the playing list and replace the imports.

Think most would disagree with me but I wouldn’t mind United backing Trimble and keeping him next season. He’s still very young and will improve with this year under his belt.

Reply #788939 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United should sign the best Australians and then look for imports who complement them.

Who's already locked in for United next year?

McCarron is in the 2nd yr of a 3 yr deal I believe.

Who else?

Reply #788941 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Offer Barlow another contract....He has a 7 year old boy therefore can never leave. Melbourne

Reply #788944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not how United operate though, they bring in big money imports a few big name Australians, McCarron, Goulding, Barlow and then cheapies.

Reply #788945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding to Tassie!

Reply #788946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Trimble and long + a gun import get rid of Goulding bring in a team player and start looking for a new coach.

Reply #788948 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Who else?

Prather, McCarron & Ili that's it I think. Although Prather is likely a team option so doubt he will be back.

Reply #788951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pledger is also signed, but contracts don't mean much. If a player is unhappy the club won’t keep him and if the club is unhappy they tell the player to look elsewhere or they will spend a lot time on the bench.

Reply #788953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble and Long were considered gun imports, I'd imagine there wage packets match gun imports status.

Reply #788955 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Big clean-out needed at the DisUnited. Replace Crivelli with someone with a better mindset than throwing money at the latest fad players, someone who can build a genuine positive culture.

Replace Vickerman, with Bevo perhaps.

Upgrade Long with someone who plays well at both ends. Prather and TSM to go, regardless. Don't know about Kidd yet.

Keep Trimble, McCarron, Pledger and Illi. Keep Goulding only if there’s a new coach who can use him better.

Replace the rest with some promising youth and a few experienced hard workers.

Reply #788982 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Nah LV, Adelaide should sign the best Australians and THEN the best imports

Reply #788985 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Hoopie, Melbourne United is the Real Madrid of the NBL.

Reply #788986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^what are you talking about?

Reply #789000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver being 23 should go on to greener pastures overseas. Hope the snakes can hang on to Machado and Newbill.

Reply #789023 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"throwing money at the latest fad players" = Real Madrid

Spend big, fail at culture/chemistry and fail to win it all

Reply #789029 | Report this post

Simon Cowell  
Years ago

That's a no from me.

Reply #789046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i wonder if Vince still kisses Larry K on the cheek every time they meet? This will be a factor if he keeps his job. Jobs for the boys.

Reply #789070 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Love it when people like to abuse Vince.

Where were you when Vince constructed a championship and another GF team?

Reply #789074 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

He gambled; it worked. His approach won't always work, and sometimes a different approach might be needed.

Reply #789078 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Isn't it funny that the league attracts players like Trimble and Demetrius Conger and they go to regional teams and help them win by implementing a me first mentality and then when they go to capital city clubs that have or should have far more resources and they get found out their stock drastically drops.

I don't hate on either of those two as the league needs a mixture of imports and the me first imports can be heroes in kids eyes as they are fun to watch.

As for United, it's good to see that they are being tested just so we can see what LK will do about it... can you imagine a playoff series without a Victorian side after the entry of a club from the heartland!
It won't be any less exciting but how much it is all promoted intrigues me... best season ever surely deserves strong well attended playoff series WITH live commentary inside each arena pretty please.

Reply #789096 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Melbourne need to look at the right fit than the best player.

Too many players who need to have ball in hand to be effective.

Reply #789173 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

United should try for all 3 Cairns guys!

DJ Newbill is under the radar but he'd be bloody good to get.

Reply #789219 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:37 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754