Isaac
Years ago

Violations in honour of Kobe in NBA games

NBA teams are opening with 8 second backcourt violations and/or 24 second shot clock violations in honour of Kobe Bryant.

Topic #46790 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

I think its a great way to honour him in game. Its not always so easy to find a way to do that in basketball.

In (Association) football, there's usually a number under 90 that you can use. For example when a 23 year old woman was murdered last year, Victory fans stood and clapped for the whole 23rd minute of the game.

Reply #789034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope NBL does the same this round

Reply #789035 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Honour one of the NBA's all-time most competitive players... by being noncompetitive in-game?

He's worthy of being honoured and it is creative approach in doing so, with the 24-second and 8-second violations following his playing numbers, but the idea of in-game events like this seems off to me, especially given his competitive reputation.

Reply #789039 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If it seemed right to the players who were inspired by him, what else matters?

Atlanta wasted the 30ish seconds and still put up 150+ points.

Reply #789053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rjd, you'd be fun at parties.

Reply #789056 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Honour one of the NBA's all-time most competitive players... by being noncompetitive in-game?
"

No I think the point of it was the statement that he was bigger than basketball. They gave up the possession to say that, in the end, this is a game. It's also a display of friendship to both teams, as their way of laying down arms for a moment in the game and just allowing eachother to be, and to let the feeling of what has occurred wash over them.

I think it was very powerful.

Reply #789058 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Not disputing it was an unprecedented emotionally powerful gesture. Far better that the idea to cancel all NBA games. Others contradicted the idea to cancel games by suggesting that Kobe wouldn't have wanted that. I'm just pointing out a similar irony in such a gesture given his extremely competitive reputation. It's like honouring Gandhi with a military parade.

"If it seemed right to the players who were inspired by him, what else matters?"

Same argument as giving a religious funeral to the atheist black sheep in the family. It's for others, not an accurate reflection of the one being honoured.

Reply #789063 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

An absolutely painful post by rjd. Crowds loved it, players were moved by it but this one numpty doesn't get it.

Reply #789069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, you've got a very weird take on that rjd. 24 seconds and an 8 second violation, are incredibly well aligned considering the short notice of it all.

Reply #789083 | Report this post

isaiah  
Years ago

I do see where rjd is coming from; Kobe is renowned and will be remembered for his competitive and driven nature. However, his reputation off the court and mentality towards life away from basketball is what made him such an icon and is how his close friends and family will remember him most. The violations were a moment everyone could share to remember Kobe, Gianna and all those who lost their lives in the terrible incident, not just for those who admired kobes passion on the floor.

Reply #789085 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I don't dispute it acted as a satisfying emotional tribute, and obviously the teams agreed to it, so it's not like I am arguing it shouldn't have happened. I also alluded to the 24 and 8 significance, which did align perfectly. But I guess anyone who points out that a noncompetitive in-game tribute is a contradiction against Kobe's competitive spirit must be a numpty. Same as people who argued that games shouldn't have been cancelled for the same reason probably also must be numpties, right?

Reply #789087 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

By the way, despite the contradiction, I think it really was an amazing and powerful gesture. Watched it a few times. I'm not arguing against it, more pointing something out.

Reply #789088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(It's like honouring Gandhi with a military parade. )

It's nothing like that you have totally mist the point. RIP Kobi 24,8

Reply #789093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RIP Kobi

Yeah, that was really respectful!

Reply #789112 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

All-star game in a few weeks, I like the idea of the East team all wearing the #8 jerseys and the West team all wearing the #24 jerseys. Get it done Silver.

Reply #789131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA: Petition to make Kobe Bryant the new NBA Logo - Sign the Petition! http://chng.it/6Rs9dRXP via
@ChangeAUS

Reply #789155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL will honour the late Kobe and Gianna Bryant with 24 seconds of applause prior to each game in Round 18 of #NBL20, the NBL's inaugural Indigenous Round.

Reply #789159 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

NBL is smarter than NBA in honouring Kobe

Reply #789171 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:48 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754