FM
Years ago

36ers confirm departure of Joey Wright

Adelaide 36ers and coach Joey Wright mutually agree to part ways
26 February 2020

Following the conclusion of an end of season review, the Adelaide 36ers and coach Joey Wright have mutually agreed to part ways, effective immediately.

Wright coached his final game for the Sixers against rivals the Perth Wildcats on February 15th.

The game marked Wright's 500th game as an NBL Head Coach and caps off seven years at the helm of Adelaide.

The 51-year-old is looking forward to whatever the future has in store.

"I feel like I have left the Club in a better position than when I first arrived and I look forward to my next coaching challenge."

Adelaide 36ers owner Grant Kelley praised Wright for his commitment to the Club.

“I would like to thank Joey for his exceptional service to the Club over the last seven years.

“His impact on the Club has been enormous. In 2013-14, his first season in charge, he took the 36ers from bottom of the ladder to championship contenders. He achieved a minor premiership in 2016-17 and narrowly missed winning the NBL Championship in 2017-18.

“Over the past four seasons, during my tenure as owner, Joey has worked tirelessly alongside me to restructure the Club, including playing a pivotal role in our highly successful move to the Adelaide Entertainment Centre.

"My family and I wish Joey, Helena and their extended family all the best for the future."

The Adelaide 36ers will now begin their search for a new Head Coach.

Topic #46952 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unreal.

Reply #795179 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Very classy announcement. Very amicable.

Sad to see you go Joey but hopefully its upwards for both parties.

Reply #795180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is everyone expecting new assistant coaches to

Reply #795181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Head Coach Brett Maher? Assistant Coach Rupert Sapwell?

Reply #795182 | Report this post

Brad.  
Years ago

Ciao Joey Wright.

Reply #795184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank God thats over....

Reply #795186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have been champions in 16-17. Best side by far but choked.

Good luck to him in the future.

Reply #795187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here comes the Gaze train

Reply #795190 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

An acrimonious end for Joey, no surprise.

Reply #795191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mutual lol

Reply #795192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze lol. Not even Kelley is dumb enough to go down that path.

Reply #795197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ego is an amazing thing though

Reply #795201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gestapo Isaac please close this thread. There are varying opinions! Heil Isaac!

Reply #795204 | Report this post

Kayla  
Years ago

I'm sad that Joey has parted ways with Sixers,he’s a fantastic coach ,look we didn’t win a Championship under him because there were too many egos in team,plus the tight ass owner as well.Great players coached under Joey made them better players,look at Creek,Sobey,Ferguson and many more .I met Joey at a social basketball match at Wayville and he’s a fantastic guy off court.I hope he still coaches NBL under a better management organisation,it sucks from my view to see such an experienced coach ..part ways .there were a lot of issues .
I wish him all the success for the future wherever it may be here or Overseas.All the best Joey if you read this ,you were one Bloody good coach from where I was sitting.

Reply #795205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey came along when the 6ers were outside the playoffs. He was able to recruit a heap of talent most of which moved on. He left and the 6ers were outside the playoffs. To say he has left the 6ers in better shape than when he started is false. I'm glad it’s over, fans deserve better than mediocre and petty ego trips when things don’t work out.

Reply #795209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Jarman said CJ Bruton was in line to get the job.

Do we want a rookie coach? Sounds like Marty Clarke all over again.

Reply #795210 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bruton would certainly be a very JVG-like signing. I mean, he might be great in the role, but there's other names in this thread that I think would be safer selections, especially given JVG's history.

Reply #795211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bruton would certainly be a very JVG-like signing. I mean, he might be great in the role, but there's other names in this thread that I think would be safer selections, especially given JVG's history."

Yeah but it was Andrew Jarman who said Alistair Clarkson will coach the crows.

Grain of salt

Reply #795212 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

You guys can have Lemanis if you want.

Reply #795216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Jantke quickly. Single handedly produced all the junior talent in the state and took an ordinary North team to an underdog grand final win.

Reply #795218 | Report this post

Smac76  
Years ago

If Jantke gets it, I will walk away after 35 years on supporting. Pretty sure you're taking the pi55 though anon.

Reply #795221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL. Talking to Jantks he knows his place and his role.

Just a good guy that wants to help them out, and has strong views on how the program should be supporting local kids as much as possible.

Reply #795224 | Report this post

Vernima  
Years ago

You bloody bewdy! Best news in ages. Please take your mate JVG with you snd give us our club back.

Reply #795227 | Report this post

Vernima  
Years ago

You bloody bewdy! Best news in ages. Please take your mate JVG with you snd give us our club back.

Reply #795228 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Are we expecting a press release from Adelaide shortly to confirm that the sky is blue?

Reply #795231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you need someone to confirm that for you, koberulz?

Reply #795234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Do we want a rookie coach? Sounds like Marty Clarke all over again."
Great idea in signing Nielsen then. ;)

Reply #795236 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Must be KB.

Reply #795242 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL. Talking to Jantks he knows his place and his role.

Just a good guy that wants to help them out, and has strong views on how the program should be supporting local kids as much as possible.

Sounds like he might be around in a supporting role of some kind next season. Years ago there was the 36ers Academy that groomed players for the NBL. Is that still going? Would he be the ideal man for that?

Reply #795250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Would he be the ideal man for that?"

Simply put: no.

Reply #795255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely this means teys is gone as well. No other coach in their right mind would select a domestic standard player for nbl

Reply #795257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABC news interview today
Andrew Gaze is keen to couch Adelaide.

Reply #795260 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"ABC news interview today
Andrew Gaze is keen to couch Adelaide."

Gaze's couch credentials are impeccable

Reply #795265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There needs to be a complete clean out of the coaching staff. Go in a totally different direction, no point in having old views still lingering as it's clear they failed. New coach brings in his own people. That's how football do it, and that's how it should be done in the Sixers case.

Reply #795267 | Report this post

Smac76  
Years ago

I'd rather Brett Maher than Gaze.
Seriously, Gaze won’t be coach. Love the man as a player, commentator but not as a coach.

Reply #795270 | Report this post

Pallas  
Years ago

Not even Kelley would consider Gaze. Worst coach of all time.

Reply #795272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really don't understand the anti Gaze sentiment.

I think there is always an underlying jealousy by the masses of basketball tragics and resentment when great players move into coaching like they were entitled.

What an amazing CV he has. Knows how to win, knows the game, can relate to athletes, having been there and done it. Keep in mind he joined a franchise that had struggled for years before and got them back into the finals in 3 years, also building the foundation for their success this year.

If Gaze wants it and Kelley makes a business decision based on who is best qualified then Gaze will mostly likely be successful. Think he'd be a great candidate.

Reply #795277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What an amazing CV he has. Knows how to win, knows the game, can relate to athletes, having been there and done it."

Can't coach though.

" Keep in mind he joined a franchise that had struggled for years before and got them back into the finals in 3 years, also building the foundation for their success this year."

You don't think the significant roster upgrades had anything to do with that?

Reply #795278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course, you are qualified posting anonymously in a public forum to make such as assessment LOL LOL

Reply #795280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Gaze, people learn from their past mistakes.
The argument that he only had success at Sydney because of talent could be said about Wright, and in fact many coaches. Smyth when he had the cattle won, when he didn't, he lost. Wright is the same. They are coaches who are unable to overachieve with the talent they have.
There's no expectation that the Sixers will win it next year, which, let's be honest they're not. That's a better scenario for GAZE than the bright lights and pressure of Sydney. Give him another go.....

Reply #795287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You hit it on the head there! Player development and recruitment are most important unless you want to spend, which 6ers can't. You do those things well and you win championships and succeed in other metrics too.

Gaze with the right support team could be the right man, likewise CJ Bruton.

Reply #795290 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

The narrative that "Gaze can't coach" is an interesting one. Apart from the underwhelming results I think some of this stems from Bogut’s body language towards Gaze and (most likely comments off court). Maybe things would be different at Adelaide without a petulant “star” undermining your messages.

Reply #795293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers players didn't look fit, need new training guys as well.

Reply #795297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea. I agree. Gaze would be a coup. He is not dumb so with 3 years of NBL HC experience now under his belt he is probably going to be much better for it. Great mentor and the pull to recruit guys.

The 6ers need to continue to bring through talent like Mudronja, Mayen, Hulland, White, Rigoni, Garang and Harris and need a coach that can attract and develop these guys as well as connect well with the youth crop coming through - only need to look at the stacked team at North mentioned above. Then top level NBA calibre imports with good attitudes.

Real chance to build something amazing here in Adelaide, reminiscent of the Brett Maher, Ninnis, McKay eras and it is a pivotal moment.

Reply #795300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it a rest Janx....seriously.

Reply #795302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^haha

Reply #795308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He is not dumb so with 3 years of NBL HC experience now under his belt he is probably going to be much better for it."

But he didn't show any improvement as a coach in his three years. Why is he suddenly going to be an improved coach?

Reply #795310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze was brought in at Sydney mainly as a marketing tool, they were struggling for an identity there and even most non basketball people had heard of him. They then started spending money on players with the expectations that he could grow with the team and contend. But quite simply he wasn't up to it. Similar to his time on dancing with the stars, everyone liked him and rooted for him, but he was that bad he had to go.
Doubt current staff would get a look in, needs to break ties and bring in someone with some pedigree. Don't limit search to just locals, put out some feelers to gleague or even NBA assistants. Get an up and coming young college guy, see what Europe has to offer.

Reply #795311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

310, in whose opinion? An anonymous forum poster. Man, I hope the 6ers listen to that. LOL Not

Reply #795313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well why would the Sixers listen to anonymous forum posters who say he is a good coach?

Reply #795314 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

If Gaze is a basketball mastermind, where is his club the Melbourne Tigers? Dead buried and long forgotten. He could flat out play however has no clue. He went where dad told him to go, the offence was about him. No basketball smarts or high level iq required. He had fundamental ball skills that others didn't. If he had the ball, he attempted to score. No future plan for the rest of the shot clock, just a I must score mentality. That wo t win you many games as a coach unfortunately.

I am alway worried about forcing someone like Brett Maher into a coaching role. Remember the way the Sixers tarnished and destroyed the name of Scott Ninnis, doesn’t he really want to go down that road?

Reply #795318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Maher won't do it, far more lucrative being a firey. Is good as a consultant though and will have input on the coaching gig. He gets it, Sapwell gets it and will be relied upon for input. Forget about the whole coaching staff as currently is, they're done. Totally new direction coming....

Reply #795320 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Interesting read from the Adelaide Now paper (posted yesterday at 8am, not sure if that's before the announcement):

he Adelaide 36ers and coach Joey Wright are engaged in a legal talks as their protracted path towards a seemingly inevitable divorce continues.

The club is being represented by high-profile lawyer Greg Griffin as the two parties continue to negotiate the terms of Wright's exit.

Wright has been coach of the 36ers for the past seven seasons and remains contracted for the next two after he signed a five-year deal in 2017.

It’s understood they reached a verbal agreement on a contractual payout around two weeks ago, but have not yet reached a formal settlement.

It’s unclear whether Wright is walking away from the job or the club is sacking him after it commissioned an external review into its basketball operations.

Wright was invited to the club’s MVP dinner on Saturday night and a place was set for him at the coaches’ table, and while he did not show, the club did not take issue with his absence.

It came as team owner Grant Kelley declared the disappointing end to the season a "line in the sand" moment in his dream to restore Adelaide’s basketball reputation as “title town” following three championships from 1998 to 2002.

But in an interview with SEN last week he seemed resigned to the fact that his time at Adelaide was now over and he was unlikely to coach in the NBL again.

“As a group we finished 12-16, three games away from the fourth-placed team, better attitudes and harder work would have maybe curbed that,” he said.

Adelaide officials declined to comment on the matter on Tuesday as the external review into the team missing finals for the past two seasons continued.

MORE BASKETBALL NEWS

Wright: I’m to blame for Sixers woes

Is KB the man to replace Joey at Sixers?

Joey’s gone and Griffin set to go with him

500th game: Joey’s 10 biggest moments at Sixers

Preliminary findings of the review were presented to Kelley last week, but a full report is yet to be completed.

Wright could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Despite Adelaide’s underwhelming season on the court, the club still drew record crowds to its new home venue at the Entertainment Centre and reported a surge in membership and corporate support.

The NBL finals begin with Perth hosting Cairns on Friday night and Sydney hosting Melbourne on Saturday.

Reply #795325 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"The argument that [Gaze] only had success at Sydney because of talent"

He DIDN'T have success at Sydney, despite having talent. That's the argument.

Great bloke that I have the utmost respect for, but that doesn't mean he's an NBL-quality head coach.

Reply #795328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze import selections were very questionable, Lisch was hurt most time he was there. They were actually unlucky to miss finals in his first season there. Great bloke, great commentary but unless he gets a Forde type understudy to take over in two seasons and do most coaching now while he does the PR work it's a bit of a risk. Very entertaining character though.

Reply #795331 | Report this post

Eagle  
Years ago

Joey was a dam good coach but like any sport you can only go for so long at one club before players and supporters find it all repetitive. That's when bad results stand out way more, a new coach is like a bit of fresh air for the club and I’m sure a new club will be fresh air for Joey, he will take some learning’s with him as will the club

Reply #795339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey was an ok coach, 'damn good' is an overstatement. Whatever good he did achieve, is long gone, and no fan base is happy to be blown out in multiple deciding gf series games for all to witness.

I don’t care who the new coach is, as long as they are accountable and don’t spend their time bagging players.

Reply #795341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blown out? Sobey ejected ridiculously in one game and had the teams best players missing and still got to game 5. Game 4 was a Deng made 3 away...

Reply #795344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check the score of the United game 5 and the cats game in Perth. Blow outs. I don't care for the 'what could’ve been made shot’ rhetoric. That’s Joey excuse bait.

Reply #795345 | Report this post

anthony  
Years ago

Wow pretty harsh on Joey he is a good coach his results show that across many seasons.

Yes he has his flaws playing defence was definitely one but that is also a player behaviour issue as well our group just did not want to do this.

Really if you said we would win this season you really need a reality check, yes they underachieved but most people only rated this list mid table at best if they finished 4th that was top range of a good season.

To bring back we were blown out in series x and y well a lot of teams did not even get that far, no one points the finger at the players who fundamentally can't make a layup or an Open 3 point shot, that is not the coaches fault that is seriously a pay for what you get team.

Reply #795346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a playing group won't play defense. That is on the coach. Point blank. If it’s not, then shit, I’ll coach them and for cheap too. Not like I’ll be held accountable to my playing groups lacklustre defensive principles. The loss at home to the hawks this season was the final straw for me. Knew he was likely gone, but that was a disgraceful effort in all areas of the game. I don’t rate the owner but I certainly never rated Joey as highly as he rated himself.

Reply #795351 | Report this post

From the Advertiser today:

Joey Wright says he's not bitter and has left as 36ers coach for mental health reasons
Outgoing Adelaide coach Joey Wright gives the reasons why he has left the club after seven seasons in charge.

Reece Homfray, The Advertiser
Subscriber only
|
February 27, 2020 2:19pm

Outgoing coach Joey Wright says he had to leave the Adelaide 36ers for the sake of his own mental health after realising his values were no longer aligned with the club and some of the players.

Wright and the 36ers have mutually agreed to part ways after seven seasons and two grand final appearances.

He had two seasons remaining on his contract and reached a financial settlement with the club on Wednesday after weeks of discussions with club owner Grant Kelley.

Wright was not interviewed as part of the club’s external review and said his departure had nothing to do with its findings which have recommended changes to leadership and culture.

"It was mutual, they wanted to go in a different direction and so did I, and that’s what it came down to," he told The Advertiser.

“I don’t feel wronged or upset, that is definitely the true emotion, that’s no bullsh**, I’m not mad at the 36ers at all, not even a little bit.

“To get away from that situation is for me, health-wise, the best thing to happen. As far as mental health, dealing with the pressures and stresses of that situation.

“I’m just concerned our values were inconsistent with one another and not that mine were right and theirs were wrong, but they were inconsistent and we just weren’t heading in the right direction.

“I think we had enough respect for each other to say 'well, you go, and the other said ‘yep, I’m OK with that’.

“When you sign that contract one of two things will happen, even if you see out the end of it, they were going to ask me to leave or I was going to want to leave, and this is both of them at the same time.

“Realising the time was right and nothing was going to change, that’s how I made my decision.”

The 36ers have missed the finals the past two seasons and towards the end, Wright’s relationship was excellent with some players and non-existent with others - namely imports Jerome Randle, Eric Griffin, Ramone Moore and Aussie big man Harry Froling.

“The ones who it wasn’t good with, it wasn’t good. I’m not a halfway person, I can’t be lukewarm, you’re either with me or against me and there were four who weren’t really committed and by then the three imports and Harry didn’t give us what we needed. That was the reality of it,” Wright said.

“I would have loved for those guys to be a little bit more driven but we weren’t on the same page, and that’s not the club’s fault, that’s my fault and I tried everything I could to get them on the same page as everybody else.”

Wright did not attend Saturday’s night’s club MVP awards dinner because he didn’t feel right about it.

“We were still in a (legal) situation,” Wright said.

“I didn’t feel overly welcomed and I didn’t feel welcoming either.

“But I do plan on doing something for the people I want to see at some point in time, for fans to come along and have a drink and the sponsors who I have a good relationship with, I want to thank them.”

Wright’s final game against Perth was his 500th as an NBL coach and he said he was proud of his time at Adelaide, including being named coach of the year.

“In order for us to be as competitive as we were, I was giving more than what I felt I should, because I still have friends and family (to spend time with),” he said.

“The stuff I set up in the community, our academy program, even the move to get Terrance (Ferguson) here (before the NBA draft).

“We were relevant for seven years I was there. Before that when I saw Adelaide on our schedule it wasn’t something I thought ‘oh shit, we’re going to play Adelaide’.

“I think that changed, we developed some guys to be better than before they got here, I think the program excelled and that’s what I’m most proud of.

“We still won more games than any other club except Perth over the last seven years ... and that in itself is a championship in my mind, I can live with that.”

Wright becomes an Australian citizen in September and has no immediate plans to leave the city he now calls home.

“I’m committed to my daughter to let her get through the year and she’s at a pivotal age, and I want to make sure wherever I go next I’m going to be locked in to get her through high school,” he said.

Reply #795352 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Basically Randle, Griffin, Moore, Froling didn't show up to play, hence getting benched so frequently.

These players were frustrating as hell to watch and deserved every bit of benching. Randle stifled offence, Griffin lazy as it gets on defence, Froling no effort.

Reply #795353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck Joey in the future.Now can you please take over the SA High Performance Job so the State can get some real improvement in our Juniors.

Reply #795357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your kidding, right? He is going to take what is basically a low paying admin role working for an organisation of non-basketball people and referees?

Good for being aspirational but have to be real too.

Reply #795359 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Very interesting article.

Naming Randle, Griffin, Moore and Froling that's harsh.

So does that mean Moore was actually not injured?

If not then we lost a season of import wages for no reason.

Reply #795360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most people who snot someone in the work place don't last long.

Reply #795361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore wasn't injured

Reply #795362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So agree
Joey would be perfect and worth every cent if they could afford him.
Underperforming is not the word, that over rates it by a mile. Never thought I would wish dingham to come back, but he is a god compared to the current holder of that position.

Reply #795367 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good to see Joey call out the three imports they were big problems all season. Randle for his selfishness and Griffin & Moore were just duds who weren't up to it. Also good to see him mention Froling his attitude and professionalism were issues all season will be hopeful we don't give him another contract.

You could really tell this season Joey was just burnt out coaching this motley bunch.

Reply #795370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So that's it then. Let’s never discuss this person again. He was paid to do a job, he did it, he’s now gone. That’s the end. I’m sick of him at this point.

Reply #795373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup, time to move on.....
So where do you put an advertisment for a new coach anyways????

Reply #795375 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Joey Wright is on the shortlist for the Texas Longhorns job.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/joey-wright-on-longhorns-shortlist/

That would be nice to see him return to his alma mater.

Reply #795376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is joey wright dual citizenship

Reply #795377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely not!?!? I mean Joey could do it and do well in that role has the CV but they always go guys coaching in the system. Probably more likely an AC role. What's Shaka on, around AUD$5mil?

Reply #795384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a chance in hell he would get texas job, power conference and top job. And I love Joey as coach, no experience in college role, have to get a big name, no one in America would know him. Can see him getting job in nba in some capacity, depends on leaving Australia. Probably would like to be close to Sydney to watch her play.

Reply #795393 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"The narrative that "Gaze can't coach" is an interesting one."

Not really.
In sport, there is seldom any correlation between being a great player and becoming a great coach. If anything, it would see to go mostly the other way.

Gaze has never done anything to suggest he can coach.
He failed in the SEABL and he failed in the NBL, despite having stacked squads.
Moreover it was the way he failed that is telling.

The Kings would get off to a good start, in both games and seasons, but as soon as things got tough they fell apart. Gaze was unable to coach on the fly, and unable to motivate his players.
Watch some of his timeouts, where he rants & raves, and the players just roll their eyes.
With Bogut's help they finally made the finals, and yet Gaze was still compelled to leave, because he was so disconnected from the players.

Reply #795394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if Joeys frustrations with the values at the 36ers has anything to do with the arrival of both Ben Kavenagh and STEVEN TRIGG?

Reply #795402 | Report this post

Eagle  
Years ago

After hearing all the keyboard warriors bag Joey and tell us all what should happen and who is a crap coach and who's is the best, I wonder why you ain’t the prime target? I know because it’s easy to sit behind a computer or phone and rubbish everyone!! Pathetic, and man up and use a name my Anonymous hero!! Clubs need real support, not a know it all idiot hiding behind a computer making big statements, give due respect to Joey, u may not like him but he has done a lot for the club but fell away the last couple of years, good luck Joey and u will get success in what ever job you choose to do!!!!

Reply #795403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagle, you realise the use of the name 'eagle' is just as anonymous? Haha

Reply #795405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Eagle your given name or surname? Hypocritical a bit!

Reply #795406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the only name, like Madonna or prince lol

Reply #795408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.facebook.com/186714264692570/posts/3123440337686600/

Reply #795409 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Very interesting interview.

Reply #795410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottle collecting? Players helped collect bottles? I'd love to know more about this, true or not etc

Reply #795411 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Bottle collecting is true and yes they helped cleaned Titanium Arena after games in the early days.

Reply #795413 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"There were months that I didn't get paid."

SOS era, wasn't it?

Reply #795414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony, which players helped clean? That's mind boggling to me.

Reply #795415 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's depressing.

A lot of people love to make a throw away line of "they should just spend more money" - the 36ers in the past didn't have money to spend the owners may have been "wealthy" to the average person but they weren't "own a sports team wealthy". The NBL had sweet FA money, run on the smell of an oily rag.

This is why many of us buy NBL TV still even though we don't use it and are watching on SBS streaming where us watching is counted to the benefit of the NBL.

I've got 36ers merch I never really needed, and I'd go to games between two NBL sides that I didn't care for. Nobody ever went "oh Hunter Pirates that's a team I want to watch", but a lot of us here are passionate about the NBL succeeding generally not just our own club.

Hopefully the 36ers are at the point where there's stability in capital, not just draining one person - and enough money to make sure people are paid their wages.

Reply #795421 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

It's not mind boggling when the consortium was running the Sixers crowds were down to 3.5k to 4k a game we had a young team struggling to survive....you work it out. If you stayed around after games long enough you would have known what was going on.

Reply #795422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the surface it is, considering the stigma that comes with pro sports. I was just curious to know the players that actually helped out with this. No interest in staying around after games to see if players would be doing more than post game Apollo room interviews.

Reply #795423 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

There's a thing called "the humble brag", and what Joey is doing here is what I would call "the humble drag", dragging a few people down with him under the guise of "taking the heat".

"Oh the imports didn't give me enough, but that's my fault" sounds like someone taking ownership, but let's be real, he's blaming the imports and Harry.

I think his grievance with NBL is justified, I mean they did basically want to make him the villain. And as cordial as he wants to be about the club and league, if you read between the lines he's super pissed off.

Anyway I hope he gets a plush new gig in the US or somewhere. I feel like there was too much meddaling by club management in the teams he ran. The Jerome Randle decision was probably one that added to him feeling like he'd lost control of his own ship. Then you have JVG with his brainwaves, which has to turn anyone off anything.

Great interview though. Big fan of Joey's in a lot of ways. But it was his time to move on. In fact, a lot of things at the Sixers need to change on every single level.

--

As for Harry Frolling, he's what is wrong with the NBL. A guy like him can make no improvement year in, year out; rest on his laurels; but because he's better than some shit players out there, he can continue with his awful attitude and have a ten year plus career in this league of being nothing but tall. If he were an import he'd be held to a standard. But because he's an Aussie he'll always find a team in this league no matter how little he does.

This is why I am big on continuing to expand import quotas. If you're not balling out you should go flip burgers. There are so many Aussies who've had potential but that potential has led nowhere because they've never had a fire lit under their asses. If being average gets you paid, why do more? Especially if you're an out-of-shape 7footer who can average 8 rebounds just by "being there".

Harry has the raw tools to make an NBA player but I can guarantee he'll never, ever make it there.

Reply #795432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now we know who the comments were aimed at throughout the year. Coaches shouldn't have to make players get in shape, its your job ato be in shape. I shouldn't have to remind a plumber to bring his tool box to work

Reply #795433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As for Harry Frolling, he's what is wrong with the NBL. A guy like him can make no improvement year in, year out"

This was literally his second year as a pro. The fact he didn't improve doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't give a shit.

I don't pretend to know the details of his relationship with Joey, but I dare say that played a role in under-performing this season - not an excuse for any attitude problems, but nonetheless a reason.

Reply #795435 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Oh the imports didn't give me enough, but that's my fault" sounds like someone taking ownership, but let's be real, he's blaming the imports and Harry.

Partly agree - well, definitely agree that he's pointing fingers at the imports and Harry - but I think he does actually blame himself as well for not being able to get through to them and get them to buy in.

Reply #795436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the whole thing was passively aimed at excuses. He should've dig deeper into explaining why the imports etc weren’t up to it, was indeed his fault! What does he think he could’ve done differently etc? He doesn’t believe it’s his fault at all based on what I saw and heard from that interview. But he certainly claims to be the hero that did everything for the club. He’s a very good salesmen always has been. Not buying it though personally.

Reply #795441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frolings game may not necessarily have had too improve in his second pro season but by Christ his body should have and at the end of the day his rig went backwards. And that's all on him.

Reply #795442 | Report this post

Pippen  
Years ago

Check Kevin Whites twitter for the truth about Joey Wright. This is a fraction of the stories and screenshots I've seen and was alluding to.

Reply #795443 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Maybe check White's twitter for what it says about White.

And another reading of his 'revelations' [& unsubstantiated claim] is that Joey pulled every string/pushed every button to try to get the group together and performing, which was always going to be a challenge, particularly after solo Randle was inserted instead of a quality team-first, distributing guard, irrespective of the personality issues.

Reply #795452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG!
If that is now not enough evidence that the club needs to clean the whole lot out then they need to be taken to court.
Look at the rats scrambling to save their arses. It all comes out eventually.
What a disgrace.
Joey Wright...leave.
KB....leave
Golley....leave
Jantke....leave

You are all witness to that and it's on all you're heads. Don't be bailing on the coach now. But you will, cos that's you're character.
What a disgrace.........

Reply #795456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ME, there's an argument that says if you hire someone, you should want to invest time/effort into them reaching their potential. It's in your best interest. (Same goes with a club owner and a coach?) Particularly for young players.

Froling is about 21. Maybe the game until now has come easy, maybe he's had a good handle on diet through college nutritionists or living at home or whatever. Or just got lucky. Now maybe he's living solo and getting Uber Eats daily because he doesn't know how/what to cook. Club nutritionist gives him some vague tips but perhaps they're not all that practical or direct.

From that point, do you demean him or work out what will get him on track? If you're an employer of choice with huge market to choose from, maybe you just cut him loose and find someone more self-sufficient. But this is Adelaide in a growing NBL. They got an import big that might've covered that position but look how that turned out.

Reply #795459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling believes his own hype, he's also been talked up continuously by Heal, homicide and some commentators. He has compared himself to that great Greek nba player, Antetokounmpo, went to two camps last season telling all how good it was and how in shape he was, no invite to summer league though. The balls in his court, work hard and he’s a chance, keep believing the hype and unless his PR team keep opening doors for him he’s no chance.

Reply #795482 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:02 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754