Anonymous
Years ago

36ers New Coach

The last couple of days have changed things. I'm backing 90% that Gaze will be announced on a 3 year deal, decision made by NBL. Need a squeaky clean nice guy that everyone loves, results not important at this stage unless Larry pumps some money in and throws the top new star in.
In the wake of everything can't see them going with rookie coach or someone international. To be honest was terrified Gaze was going to get job but now just want all this shit over and start afresh. Hopefully a decent couple of assistants named, maybe a succession plan. Hell, bring in Paul Roos even, had a background in basketball and has runs on board in sorting out cultures.
Safe to say KB has 0% of getting job now, in fact pretty low of any job if involved in coverup.
Roster will be cleaned out, DJ, Drmic, McVeigh and Teys to stay unless they come out and publically back Joey.

Topic #46965 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman will be available soon hopefully...

Reply #796170 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Probably. I can't remember how long he worked with Melbourne for but ever since JvG left ex-Tigers players have been hired at his new pit stop.

Bullets: Bradtke, Copeland
Kings: Gaze, Copeland
36ers: as above?

Sorry Sixers fans.

Reply #796176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLease hire Gaze. Wins for everyone. Gaze can't coach and JVG will select his team.

Reply #796178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze isn't that bad of a coach, bit rich coming from all these keyboard warriors,

Reply #796187 | Report this post

Bye  
Years ago

Matt Nielsen.
Was he at Sydney when JVG was there?

Get Giddey (we have the minutes)
A import SG,SF and centre.
SG has to be a combo guard to assist Giddey.
Centre hopefully Lavoy Allen.
Gun SF.
Keep the above Aussies.

Reply #796192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze was a terrible coach at Sydney and make no mistake that if he continued on there people were going to walk. Great player terrible coach.

Reply #796211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is terrible but club needs good pr, at least he's a nice guy and media friendly. And worse he would do would equate to being told off by your nanna. Already think he had been spoken to, this seals the deal. And would think could bring Giddey with him.

Reply #796231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde imo. Not a dipshit.

Reply #796235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nielsen is ideal but can't see him leaving the nba assistant job.

Reply #796238 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

What coach would join after the shit storm on Twitter this week?

Reply #796240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Brooks believes he is the right man for the job, per this report from 10 news:

https://twitter.com/10NewsFirstAdl/status/1232935117036937217?s=09

Brooks says one of the first things he'd do as coach is contact the Adelaide crows coach to see how they do things over there.

Also said he'd move training to another location where they could put the team's slogans on the walls to help change the culture.

Finally, he's said that he believes the Sixers could contend for the title next year under his watch.

He's served his apprenticeship, is it time to hand him the reigns?

Reply #796243 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Backing KB... job not likely to be hugely appealing now. Want someone who really wants to be changing culture and putting own seal on team. Good on KB for saying he is the best fit. Team needs confidence. Team needs someone to show faith.... problem needs solving. Problem needs honest assessment... Gaze be great oponion also - seems to really be able to connect with people. Thats what needed.

Reply #796245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could it be that Gaze just couldn't coach Bogut?

Reply #796251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Forde imo. Not a dipshit."

Kinda agreed. Not a guy to carry on in social media too trying to pump himself up like some others do. Comes from two good programs now so would of picked up some things along the way.

After all the twitter stuff you would need a complete clear out to start fresh.

Reply #796256 | Report this post

Bye  
Years ago

He might not come, but Nielsen has coached the bigs at Perth and apart from Cooke that's been a success. Hopefully he can help DJ play some D.
He’s currently an assistant in the G League so would know most imports games and might already have a rapport with some.
From all reports he’s a great guy and coach.
He’s been in the spurs and Perth program which speaks for it self.

Start fresh. No pressure on a first year coach.
Clear all coaches out. White can go (could have breached club policy).
Get Giddey and surround him with the correct players/imports
Let’s stop being the problem child of the NBL (Joey driven) and move forward.

Reply #796259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it's important that a coach can coach the bigs and have no experience with any other positions

Reply #796264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see Bevo

Reply #796265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nielsen been a winner where ever he has played or coached, cannot see him leaving his coaching job now for Adelaide though.

Reply #796269 | Report this post

Bye  
Years ago

Anon 64, that was his main focus at Perth. Currently with arguably the best basketball organisation in the world. Proven winner.
But yeah wouldn't have any idea about the other positions.

Reply #796275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is one of the stupidest statements ever about Neilson only knowing how to coach bigs. He might have had that as his main area of expertise but would have a hell of a lot of knowledge of all areas.

Reply #796293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB is desperate, if he doesn't get the gig he's screwed. All or nothing, but as main assistant he would be viewed by general public as being fully aware of problems at club. If their is a major review, which seems inevitable,then a cleanout would be recommended.

Reply #796296 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I would be happy to see KB get the job in an ideal world but there's just something about him that doesn't really strike me with much confidence when it comes to being a head coach. I don't even really know what it is but I just feel like it could be a mistake to appoint him on the basis he's a liked past player. I would love to be proven wrong though and i do like what he's said so far about certain little things to to do with culture and it shows that he's aware of issues already and thinking about things outside the box.

I'm actually really surprised at the amount of support there seems to be for Gaze to coach Adelaide.

Boti mentioned that Smyth could be an option again but I always have concerns about revisiting the success of past eras and I think that time has truly passed. I'd think it would be a better idea for him to work with someone like Brooks as an assistant. In saying that though, Adelaide is a club that's at it's best with a local flavour and I think having someone that the fans can identify with and help reunite the club is probably more important than immediate results. And that's not to say that you couldn't have both with Smyth or Brooks etc but I don't think it would be an appointment on the basis of being the best available option.

I think Paul Henare has a lot to offer as a coach and is certainly someone who could come in with a clean slate, he would be high on my list.

Reply #796298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad Neilsrn has a he'll of a lot of k knowledge in other areas. That has nothing to do with being a head coach.

Reply #796299 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Phew... this could get ugly.

If you appoint a green skin in KB you are taking a risk. Andrew Gaze is a legend as a player but as a coach lurched from loss to loss with a win sprinkled on top.

Ideally you need a cleanout of the coaches and start afresh. With the players, I think you could almost say Big Kev might be out in the cold and DJ, Drmic, & McVeigh are probably going to be the basis of Sixers21

Reply #796301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Replacing 3 imports can be done easily but attracting Aussie replacements could be a challenge.

Reply #796303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please no drmic dudes a thug.. not really good player if you wanting to set a culture. Complains at every call and thinks his shit don't stink!

Reply #796310 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Could it be that Gaze just couldn't coach Bogut?"

Did you watch any of the time he was at Sydney? He's a nice guy and all but his personality is too "heart on sleeve" to be a coach. When things were going well he was all smiles and enthusiasm on the sidelines. As soon as things started to go wrong his shoulders would slump and he'd sit down with his hands in his pockets and sulk. I saw him give up time after time and his team did too.

He made some progress in x's and o's and started to move away from the shuffle but he just didn't cut it as an in game coach. Had nothing to do with Bogut or any other personnel

Reply #796313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that KB believes the 36ers need a culture change when he was one of the architects of the current culture - unless of course he just agreed with everything Joey said, which wouldn't be much of an apprenticeship.

Reply #796330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't care who gets the job but there has to be a clean out. You can't have partial regime change. Just ask the Crows. Everybody involved with this darkest period in 36ers history gets the sack. End of story.
None of this KB is a good guy so we'll keep him around bullshit.
Start again with fresh people and fresh ideas.

Reply #796351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze might end up in Tasmania yet but he could be good at Adelaide for a season or 2 to bring some respect and stability back to the 36's. Everyone seems to forget Brett Brown is over coaching in the nba he owns property in Australia and is married to an Australian he’s coming back to the NBL in a few years who will get him as coach time will tell.
Same with Delly and joe were will they end up? Clubs need to de on the front foot and start the conversations now.

Reply #796352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smythe had no idea as a coach, he was just the face with Breheny actually doing all the coaching. Remember how they started having conversations before going into huddle at timeouts and commentators were all for this amazing communication Phil had. Reality was that Breheny was telling him what to do. That disastrous stint Smythe had in charge of boomers highlighted it when Breheny was back in Adelaide getting Sixers prepared. This was horse's mouth from guys like Cattalini, said Smythe literally would freeze in timeouts.
Also heard that KB and Joey weren't seeing eye to eye the last couple of years. But still have to sweep everyone out and start afresh.

Reply #796413 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Ridiculous to think KB even before this fiasco come to light
He was a folder carrier nothing more and we need a clean sweep with Nielsen background of interest . Smyth suggestion also a joke and don't understand the Gaze talk
Beveridge is the man I would;d ;like to have.

Reply #796420 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

If you got rid of Walker, past players said you would get rid of the problem. Walker is still at the Crows. Maybe asking the Crows for advice might not be the best advice. They might win the cup this year, who knows

Reply #796429 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Smyth helping with coach selection, and will stay around helping/assistant

Reply #796430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gaze might end up in Tasmania.." No thanks. Gaze should stay in the media. His days are over.

Reply #796435 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" If you got rid of Walker, past players said you would get rid of the problem. Walker is still at the Crows. Maybe asking the Crows for advice might not be the best advice."

Haven't heard bad words about Walker. He is frustrating as a supporter but haven’t heard of any issues as a teammate. When was this?

He even won best captain a few years ago and he was useless we can only assume it’s because people like being around him.

“They might win the cup this year, who knows”

What’s the saying about pigs and flying?

If only!

Reply #796436 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't like the sound of Smyth being involved in the selection of the coach plus possibly hanging around. He and Gaze are reasonably close Gaze brought him during the season to help him do some coaching at the Kings a year or two ago.

Personally I would like to see a clean break from the old regimes of KB and/or Smyth.

Reply #796451 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Smythe didn't do any direct coaching with the Kings: he just watched and reviewed their processes. While I agree the 36ers might be better off with a clean break, to be fair Smythe did form an accurate assessment of Gaze's coaching: essentially poor execution of key details on-court, and Gaze over-complicating things.

I hadn't seen or heard anything that made me confident in KB's ability to head coach in the NBL, and the drama that was this season only furthers my belief in cleaning out the coaching staff and starting fresh.

Bevo, Forde, Neilsen all sound quite palatable candidates.

Reply #796460 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Mark Radford also just came to mind. I don't know how much experience he has coaching senior men (apart from the ill-fated Marty Clarke-era), but he's consistently been a top-tier coach at junior Nationals and Tasmania always seem to punch above their weight.

Reply #796461 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Either KB was part and parcel with this season's mess or he didn’t do enough about it and shouldn’t be handed reins. And I get bored of the rehashing of past names who’ve been out of the coaching game. The game changes and unless you are on the frontlines learning what it takes in 2020, what’s the point. With luck this is all idle fan speculation filling a void, but the bits I do hear don’t give me much hope.

Reply #796466 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Matt Neilson is the new coach of Adelaide. Will be announced soon.

Reply #796467 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Adelaide interviewed and selected their new head coach within a couple of days of formally agreeing to Joey's departure and settlement? Not sure I buy that lack of due diligence.

Reply #796471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill one of the assistants at Cairns could be a good assistant coach, from SA might want get closer to home and his father certainly knows his stuff.

Reply #796473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next year would have to surely be a rebuilding year, unless we do a Cairns and hit jackpot with imports and pick up a decent local or 2, it's going to be ugly. Philadelphia brought in Brown to lead them through process, probably should have been replaced now they're playoff team and Brown has struggled with expectations. I personally think Gaze is a terrible coach, but a good PR piece. If they can bring in a succession plan with someone like Nielsen as associate head coach, let Gaze take the lumps next year then hand the reigns over.
The next coach will unfairly have a big spotlight on him(or her) next year, would be extremely tough for rookie coach. Just looking at AFL clubs and crows, Pyke came in and couldn't cope. Same as when Primus got full time gig. I agree with Isaac about pushing forward into the future but if we're going to have a lame duck coach to start let it be Gaze with a clear succession plan. Flynn as a rookie coach got put into firing line and let's be honest, next year we won't be far off Hawks especially if more dirty laundry comes out. So a first time coach shouldn't have to takeover such a mess.
Until then Neilson will be targeted then the old favorites, Bevo, Dennis and haven't heard a good Gordy rumours in a while. And if anyone mentions Joyce I'm going to lose my shit!

Reply #796475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously they don't advertise the job "worldwide" like every other team says they do? No wonder the Sixers are a joke.

Reply #796476 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

And if anyone mentions Joyce I'm going to lose my shit!

I'm sure Heal has already recommended him.

Reply #796482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just quickly thinking, to my knowledge we've had Weaver, Demopoulos, Dunlap, Don Monson and Murray Arnold as import coaches, maybe a couple I've missed. Not counting Gorgean, Brown, Turner etc as they were already here.
Australian basketball has definitely morphed from the American style with a European influence. I think Weaver has done well as the Kings are probably the closest to American, most of the team are from there or played in that system anyway. Would he have reached playoffs with Illawarra, maybe, but obviously talent way less.
Could a European coach work in Nbl, not sure. And seeing how some coaches act it would make Joey look like Lyndsey Gaze on sideline. And college coaches do tend to be rather over the top as they know they have the power over the players. Just look at Beilein and the Cavs, they weren't having any part of extra training and film sessions, Dunlap was great coach but had same problems in Adelaide and Charlotte relating to pros.
One questions that concerns me is where are the up and coming coaches in Australia. When an AFL job comes up immediately there's a long list to choose from, recently if you were involved in the Clarkson tree it was inevitable you'd be linked to every opening. But rarely there's no names that spring to mind, hence Neilson being prime candidate. Kelly served a good apprenticeship and done amazing things in cairns. But it seems not many players get on coaching staffs and stay. Junior state programs are normally the same old characters that are more political selections than anything they've done. Jantke talked his way onto holding a clipboard but would you say he is anywhere near an nbl coach, of course not. Just goes to where what club has talent coming through and rides that for a few years, but apparently he's this great junior development guru. Now he's poached another state kid to come sit on his bench. And we all know how Petty ranks.

Reply #796484 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Justin Schuller - local successful... vastly experience. Be perfect as assistant to maybe gaze. Might assist in getting top range Aussie talent.

Reply #796514 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If it's Gaze, expect Copeland.

Reply #796515 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Warren giddey be handy ast.

Reply #796521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, really???? But iff he brings his son just give him the job!!

Reply #796523 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Warren Giddey?

Reply #796525 | Report this post

Perveworld  
Years ago

Warwick.

Reply #796526 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Warrick Warren walrus Wilbur - giddy up Giddey - correct he is the one and son as package.
Sixers got to get adventurous... meander and become lost.

Reply #796531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liam flynn ?

Reply #796535 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

re Giddy reference: "he is the one and son as package." You could add Cooks and Cooks, Bruton Bruton and even Kerle Kerle for consideration then.

Any others (don't mention Joyce Joyce or 475 will lose his shit .. twice)?

Reply #796577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just lost my shit!!!!! :)

Reply #796578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has mentioned Shane heal as a candidate? Would be a strong culture changer

Reply #796580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Andrew Jantky or Dean Nyburgs? Both have done very well at state level. This team needs to be about SA.

Reply #796584 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Liam Flynn be good. Had expertience with hawks. So has that pressure. Get good asset. With plenty. experience.
Prise Ned Kelly out of cairns. Show dome real money- show league Sixers are serious.
Need some positive actions to show we know we are needing some big names exposure. Killer gaze otherwise.

Reply #796585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gawshhh

"Liam Flynn be good. Had expertience with hawks. So has that pressure. Get good asset. With plenty. experience."

I think you mean Matt Flinn that had the "expertience".

"Prise Ned Kelly out of cairns. Show dome real money- show league Sixers are serious."

Sixers don't have enough "domes" and Ned Kelly just signed a new deal.

"Need some positive actions to show we know we are needing some big names exposure. Killer gaze otherwise."

Do you happen to work for BSA by any chance? Seem like the type that would do so.

Reply #796586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New blood needs to be introduced. Kellie and Bruton seriously. Both are near 100 ffs. More importantly they have no current coaching experience. If you go down the old coffers road then Stacker needs to be mentioned.

Reply #796588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Patrick

Reply #796595 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Brett Brown

Reply #796596 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Such a bugger that the NBA finals are when they are.

I reckon Brett Brown will be back here pretty soon, and would walk into the DisUnited job. That would leave Vickerman free to go to Adelaide.

The only problem is the timing - a new coach should be announced ASAP.

Reply #796599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free agency starts two weeks after last GF game, all clubs got have there coaches in place or exceptional management to be able to chase the right players, no funds available etc or like Illawarra this season and Cairns last season you are behind the eight ball straight away.

Reply #796600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stop talking about Brett Brown, 5million would be starting price

Reply #796610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo please

Reply #796625 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

there's no salary cap on coaches; I reckon there'd be a few out there who would pay a bit of Brown's wage (even LK?)

Reply #796628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's bevo who I believe has said he’s not available, he needs young enthusiastic coaches under him to fire up the trainings. Imo Bevo is better sitting back and waiting for the Illawarra job again when there are new owners.

Reply #796630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is thata Bevo wasn't a good coach.

Reply #796632 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Loading up on a premium ex-NBA coach wouldn't be worth it in the NBL. Gleeson got picked up when a club went bust, then sacked and picked up again. Kelly and Vickerman from assistant roles. Would Weaver have been overly expensive? You'd be far better off throwing surplus funds at a playing roster. For $1-2m you could almost certainly drag 2-4 of the best players in the league to your team. Kings weren't exactly hurt by adding Ware, Wildcats by adding Kay.

I don't know if I'd grab Bevo.

Reply #796633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Patrick has coached as assistant coach and head coach, who are still playing

Clint steindl
Delly
Patty Mills
Johnny O Bryant ex NBA
Jordan Mickey ex NBA
Jarell Martin ex NBA
Tim Quarterman ex NBA
Josh Gray g league
Brandon Sampson g league
Duop Reath
Antonio Blakeney g league
Dragan elkaz now
Calum McRae now
Daniel Mading Jaylen cross

Reply #796640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo was a great coach, just didn't do the training side of things hard enough.

Reply #796645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys I'd like to see considered that may be available

Bevo, Mick Downer, Jamie Pearlman, Judd Flavell, Bruton, Nielsen

Reply #796651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like that list, bring one in as assistant under Bevo for one season to get the side ready for the hand over. Nielsen would be a head coach straight up to.

Reply #796655 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Like the list too, but not sold on Bruton as yet.

Neilson and Flavell could be an exciting combo.

Reply #796656 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

*Nielsen

Reply #796657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruton is going now where.

"Bevo was a great coach, just didn't do the training side of things hard enough." That wasn't the only problem.

Reply #796658 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

My guess will be a favourite local basketball personality will coach the team before being sack after 2 seasons of a 3 year contract. Adam Caporn will then be employed to help rebuild the roster on the basis of having strong contacts with talented juniors.

Caporn coaches the team for three season, the team bottoms out all three years and then Will Weaver takes over after winning a championship with the Kings this year (only for the owner to go broke and the team folds) after which he spends the following three seasons as coach of Illawarra before it too folds before joining Adelaide and taking it from bottom to a Grand Final series in his first year.

Reply #796669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is interesting that a lot of people aren't sure of Bevo despite his track record being pretty good

Reply #796672 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Precisely why a lot of people aren't keen on Bevo because of his history. Fallings out with Nick Marvin at Perth and two different owners of the Hawks as well.

After the bad blood between Joey and the current owner I'm not sure Sixers fans are all that keen for another round of that.

Reply #796678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers need the calmness of Will Weaver

Reply #796685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With someone new that isn't a recycled coach.

Reply #796692 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

Andrew Simons

Reply #796707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis

Reply #796720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SD is busy.

Reply #796824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WW might be available. Lol

Reply #796849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Ross Mains assistant at Melbourne looks the goods.

Reply #796874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth. Gaze. KB.

Reply #797212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah mains has been mentioned a lot lately.

Reply #797214 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

A baller I have had much respect for, over the years, in several roles has been Steve Carfino. Wonder what sort of Head Coach he would be! If not at Adelaide, maybe Tassie (I'd definitely be happy with Carfino in Bris).

Just read his Wikipedia profile and feel that his CV/experience is ideal. Reckon, like Will Weaver, Carfino would be the calm yet strong figure-head that the 36er's might need ATM. As for Tassie, could be where he should be. Played there, super star, NBL Hall of Fame and several other major awards. Extremely well respected throughout the NBL.

As a head coach;
Does he rate? Where would you have him?

Reply #797228 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No to Carfino. we need a coach that's in the system now and someone outside of the 36ers organisation the last few years.

Reply #797229 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Sorta like MU with player/import recruiting, hey!?

Reply #797231 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti would have conniptions at the idea of Carfino!

Smyth. Gaze. KB.
Nonono.

It's Ross McMains. Coached Golden State's G-League team for a bit and worked out some of the Warriors big names. Didn't realise he was 40. Only met him once in SF but he seemed younger. Got the impression he lived and breathed coaching.

Edit: Google's abstract must be wrong. Has him as 40 but I'm told he's early 30s at most.

Reply #797234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's get Jankty and be done with it! We need new blood!

Reply #797236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jantke only coaches when championships are guaranteed.

Reply #797237 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

To his credit Carfino has historically on numerous occassions ruled himself out of coaching. It's too bad some of the other ex-players don't have the same self-awareness.

Reply #797254 | Report this post

LakeStars  
Years ago

You want culture.
You want experience.
You want wins.
You want Shawn Dennis.

Reply #797259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the Coronavirus hitting Japan, cancelling games for at least 2 weeks, SD may want out.

Reply #797264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last I read SD was perfectly happy there.

Reply #797271 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Have you read anything about SD since the coronavirus outbreak?

Reply #797272 | Report this post

eagle eye  
Years ago

Richard Dickel a lock for position.. One of the best coaches going around

Reply #797275 | Report this post

Three to make two  
Years ago

"re Giddy reference: "he is the one and son as package." You could add Cooks and Cooks, Bruton Bruton and even Kerle Kerle for consideration then.

Any others (don't mention Joyce Joyce or 475 will lose his shit .. twice)?"

Black and Black?

Reply #797290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis and Ellis

Reply #797291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS, #475 here and yes, I did lose my shit again!!!

Reply #797301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't beleive that the Corona Virus in Japan is an issue. I will msg SD and see what he says.

Reply #797444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SD said "All the dunny rolls are gone in Japan and their league has been shut dowon for 2 weeks. 21 more games to go", and a long season ahead.
They" Love Japan but will always look at opportunities as they arise"

Reply #797620 | Report this post

Pippen  
Years ago

My money is on Gaze. Him doing an interview about this specific situation could only be because he's been engaged in some capacity.

Reply #797787 | Report this post

Pippen  
Years ago

My money is on Gaze. Him doing an interview about this specific situation could only be because he's been engaged in some capacity.

Reply #797788 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

... and, Voldemort said he'd like to be assistant coach.

Reply #797795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My money is that if Gaze gets the job then JVG and the rest of the board should be sacked. JVG of all people know Gaze can't caoch.

Reply #797806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze could attract the right sort players, great PR man, bring him in with a gun assistant coach and tell him to put his ego out the way and co coach.

Reply #797812 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

You've basically given reasons for Gaze being a general manager, not a head coach.

Reply #797813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need some good PR, whatever you think of his coaching he's a likeable bloke. Just have him as the face and search for an associate head coach to run things. Ight be only chance KB has to stay. Don't know current relationship with Giddey but could be a factor in signing. And I think if there's a good next star coming in, after Sydney the nbl might choose Adelaide to give him to. Get a couple of decent imports finally and hopefully they can forget about this off season.

Reply #797819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man I get tired of people that don't know how this works. Gaze would be the Head Coach and JVG selects his side. Worked well in Sydney didnt it? Gaze had his sock puppets in LC and Kendall and they were crap.

Reply #797828 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"They need some good PR"

It won't be good PR when the 36ers are losing.

Reply #797829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendall is actually very good, kings should have kept him.

Reply #797832 | Report this post

Sausage Roll  
Years ago

If they appoint Daze, I'm going down there to shove my membership up the owners bum.
Is KB actually still around? I assumed they were just using a cardboard cutout.
I don't think this is the right time to gamble on an untested assistant. I think we need Bevo or somebody similar. I don't know who to blame for the bunch of clowns we've recruited recently, Joey and Owner both blaming each other, but its got to stop. Need a coach who can rebuild.

Reply #797835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kendall is actually very good, kings should have kept him"
Ok hire Kendall then.

Reply #797842 | Report this post

jamit  
Years ago

The pshyco assistant from New Zealand would be a blast to watch...yeah get him.

Reply #797869 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I want Paul Henare to be an option.

Can't believe Gaze could be considered

Reply #797882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can't believe Gaze could be considered" Yep just shows you that the "fans" really know nothing about the game nor Gaze's coaching ability. His record at the Melb Tigers in the SEABL was crap and JVG hired him for the KIngs. Undoubtedly GOAT for Oz, but now it's JVG in Adelaide now and it's all Dejauvou

Reply #797984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This time next week the season could be over then two weeks period of signing your own players then free agency opens up. Better get a move on.

Reply #798110 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Teams can and are already re-signing their own players look at Brisbane with Magnay and NZ with Loe, Delany & Weeks.

Sixers are already behind the eight ball there and haven't even hired a new coach yet who would probably want some say on what players are brought back or not.

Reply #798121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Holloway out for year apparently with knee, is player payments covered by insurance? If so that could be reason why they could afford Lwal. Or is it just bad luck and Holloway doesn't get paid?

Reply #798129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Insurance paying out Holloway wouldn't allow Southern to pick up a 3rd import, so that doesn't matter.

Reply #798130 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

JVG should be already negotiating with DJ and Drmic's agents to re-sign.

You shouldn't need a coach for that.

That is unless JVG believes he can blow up this team and start anew.

Reply #798131 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

When I saw JVG was hired and then the rumblings of Wright gone, my first thought was Gaze is coming in.

Reply #798137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, my bad with Holloway comment, was supposed to be on other thread, doh!

Reply #798138 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

When I saw JVG was hired and then the rumblings of Wright gone, my first thought was Gaze is coming in.

At first I thought JVG's hiring was to help smooth over things with Joey but I didn't know as someone on here pointed out that his and Joey's relationship ended poorly at Brisbane (the club was struggling and management i.e. JVG asked all the players and coaches to take a 50% pay cut but JVG himself refused to so Joey sued) so likely JVG was hired to entice Joey to quit more than anything.

Reply #798142 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Zodiac....nothing surprises me anymore after this season.

If you had told me these shenanigans would take at a club at the beginning of the season, I would not have picked the Sixers being one of the possible ones.

But the depths we have sunken to is frightening, I thought we couldn't go lower than the Creek episode. Boy was I wrong.

But we have a nice new venue and increasing patronage to build on, I'm even open to starting a 'the Process' even if that means a couple more years of this provided I see some up and coming talent injected into the squad.

Reply #798145 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I must admit I have very little faith in the Sixers owner/administration it's been blunder after blunder. Seemingly tin-eared and unable to learn from their mistakes the hiring of JVG was yet another one added to the long list in just a few short years.

I have to give them credit for the move to the AEC I thought that had the potential to backfire by thumbing their noses at the owners of TSA but it appears to have been quite a successful move but outside of that it's been a shitshow under this regime.

Hopefully the stench of the Creek scenario has abated enough to allow us to recruit some real players this season and not have to sign guys no other team wants.

Reply #798153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOw it's the stench of JVG sorry to say.

Reply #798171 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

[...]but I didn't know as someone on here pointed out that his and Joey's relationship ended poorly at Brisbane (the club was struggling and management i.e. JVG asked all the players and coaches to take a 50% pay cut but JVG himself refused to[...]

The history lesson was from me.

So this all happened in 2008 with the Bullets demise which shamefully ended JvG's NBL career. All of a sudden in 2016 reports state Jeff was head hunted (LOL, you've got to be kidding me) by AEG's Lister to run the Kings. It doesn't add up. What I think occurred is the Kings wanted to sign a brand name like Gaze as head coach and he told them it's a package deal with old-mate-from-the-Tigers JvG as his GM.

This identical scenario is probably now being played out at the Sixers? With the added bonus of installing JvG earlier during mid-season (weird timing, no?) to help in getting rid of Wright due to their prior history at Brisbane.

Reply #798181 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

GAZE!

Reply #798198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are a fool if you think he can coach.

Reply #798259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB, Sapwell, Nyberg, Brett Maher

Reply #798263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now its getting silly.

Reply #798266 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At the time outs, Voldemort would talk to his assistant for most of it,
then go over to the players and say: "You're all doing very well."

Reply #798268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A former cheerleading coach has been arrested over historic child sex allegations.

The woman, 22, from Adelaide's western suburbs was arrested on Sunday according to a report from SA Police.

The offences go back as far as 2013, and allegedly occurred between then and 2017.

Was this at the 36’s?

Reply #798347 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Was she applying for the new coaching role?

Reply #798376 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

article on google search

Boomers assistant Adam Caporn believed to be leading contender for Adelaide 36ers coaching job, but club must wait on signing him

The Adelaide 36ers have all but settled on their new coach and were poised to offer him a deal when the coronavirus crisis sent the world into shutdown and the club into an indefinite holding pattern.

The Sixers might be in off season mode, but they are not immune to the economic crisis gripping sporting teams across the country.

Two roles have been dissolved in the past week - media manager Kate Taeuber, who was made redundant, and their community and game night operations manager, who resigned.

Neither role are expected to be replaced.

Talks with candidates have been put on hold while the 36ers await a decision from the NBL with regards to player free agency, fixturing and resources for next season after its off-season competition 'NBL1' was cancelled.

It’s understood that Boomers assistant and current AIS high performance basketball head Adam Caporn is the front runner for the Adelaide job where he would reunite with the Sixers’ only new signing Josh Giddey.

The Sixers had interviewed a candidate in the US but travel restrictions and the unknown of the coronavirus means that now appears highly unlikely.

Adelaide basketball operations manager Jeff Van Groningen said the club was awaiting information from the NBL before signing its new coach to replace Joey Wright.

"We were in the process of the final stage of our search (for a new coach)," Van Groningen said.

“We identified some great candidates and were getting to the point where we were preparing to offer a candidate the job, I’m not prepared to talk about who that was ... we believe the discussions need to occur about whether the interest we have is shared by the candidate and that’s where it stopped.

“It doesn’t need to go any further than that right now because it’s a pause while we look at more important international matters at hand.

“If travel restrictions are (still there) those are logistical nightmares for any league with an international component.

“I haven’t thought much about that, I’m more interested in the timing of free agency and the league and the off-season, they are much more pertinent than coaching.”

The NBL is still targeting an October start date for next season, but management is in constant discussions with clubs and the players’ association as the health crisis unfolds.

“We really need to have information about what the league is doing with the structure of the off-season,” Van Groningen said.

“This is normally the time we would find out things like the fixture, and now you’ve got this unprecedented world event that very understandably needs to be completely understood.

“Are things going to look different in terms of dates or economically? If those things (cutbacks) are happening in one league (AFL and NRL) you can make a decent assumption that will happen elsewhere.

“But it’s counter-productive to speculate, the owners are contributing and that’s the most important thing and the league is key to it all because they govern the sport.”

Van Groningen also confirmed that both Anthony Drmic and Harry Froling had been told to explore their free agency options, despite the club initially telling The Advertiser that Froling was a required player and were in advanced discussions with his management about a new deal.

Drmic was awarded Adelaide’s most improved player this season and Froling was NBL Rookie of the Year two years ago.

“We have elected to go ahead and let Harry exercise that ability to be a free agent, and we have communicated that to him,” Van Groningen said.

He said no decision had been made on players who were contracted for next season, but with a club option on their final year.

Reply #801871 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Makes sense right now to leave Adam where he is. He has a wage, has a location to live. No point trying to move everything.

Player discussions will all be online anyway for the next 2 months.
Players could be told who the coach would likely be, but the Sixers and Adam would both be best making no official engagement, therefore Adam is in the safest position both financially and health wise.

The roster no further progression list would have to be.
Dillon, White, and possibly Teys. His previous strength was knowing Joeys system. So if he can't pick up new coaches system instantly, then his place on the team is lacking due to other younger potentials taking his place.

Reply #801875 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754