Brunson
Years ago

Sixers Sign Josh Giddey as NBL Next Star

Exciting young Australian NBA prospect Josh Giddey has signed with the Adelaide 36ers as part of the NBL's Next Stars program.

NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said: "Australia has some of the best young basketball talent in the world. It’s always been our intention to include local players in the Next Stars program and we are delighted to announce Josh as the first.

“It’s critical that the NBL develops local talent and helps put Australian players on the radar of NBA scouts. We wish Josh every success and look forward to making more exciting announcements about other Next Stars players soon."

Adelaide 36ers owner Grant Kelly said: “Josh is arguably the best young basketball talent in the nation and we’re thrilled for him to choose to start his professional career at the Adelaide 36ers.”

Adelaide 36ers General Manger of Basketball Jeff Van Groningen said: “Josh is a special player. The way he sees the floor, can make the pass from both sides of his body, and understands the rhythm of the game all set him apart”

“He is an elite guard blessed with height at his position and a skillset that will draw international attention. Josh’s decision to sign with the 36ers is an endorsement of not only the club but the NBL’s rising status and he truly is a next star in name and ability.”

Giddey, the son of former Melbourne Tiger great Warwick Giddey, is currently based at the NBA Global Academy in Canberra. He played for the Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence team in the 2019 NBL1 season and represented Australia at the Basketball Without Borders Global Camp at the 2020 NBA All-Star Weekend in Chicago

Giddey said: “I’m thrilled to have signed my first professional contract with the Adelaide 36ers. Obviously the NBA is my goal and I believe that playing in the NBL is the best pathway for me to get there.”

Topic #47027 | Report this topic

Brunson  
Years ago

So much for the "No one wants to come here due to management" brigade. End of the day it is a business. People see the opportunity and they take it.

Reply #798673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did 36ers pull this off?

Reply #798674 | Report this post

I wonder what the carrot was though. No Coach, Questions over the squad pending review. You'd think Josh would want some pretty firm assurances. Or maybe it is just $$$.

Reply #798675 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Why does he count as a Next Star? He's an Aussie, he should just be a regular roster spot shouldn't he?

Reply #798678 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Does this mean Gaze will be coach?

Reply #798679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussies are eligible for next star.
Good news for Adelaide considering the season they just had.

Reply #798680 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm a little surprised by his choice, but that is a great get for the sixers!

Reply #798681 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Gaze has already verbally agreed to be the coach

Reply #798682 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Interesting that he didn't go to one of the bigger teams. But if you consider he probably wants playing time whilst still being on a 'decent' (i.e. not SEM or Hawks) team, 36ers then seem like an obviousish choice (probably alongside NZ, Brisbane and Cairns IMO).

Reply #798686 | Report this post

According to the FoxSports report, all bar one NBL Team showed interest and his choice came down to MEL and ADL. It's not often that ADL are going to win that particular race so this is a good get. Apparently the fact 36ers staff flew to Sydney to meet with him helped.

Reply #798687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe he was offered starters minutes with ADL? The end of Randle?

Reply #798688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have 2 young Aussie pgs now, in Giddey and Mudronja and now need an import pg

Reply #798689 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"maybe he was offered starters minutes with ADL? The end of Randle?"

Yes sounds like he would be getting starter minutes. It was the end of Randle regardless due to his injury

Reply #798690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One day the NBL may actually publish the Next Star rules and eligibility.

Reply #798692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a brave coach who turns the keys over to 2 kids at the point spot. Not gonna happen, an import will fill that position. Giddey will move to the 2 or 3 spot IF he actually starts.

Reply #798698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can Giddey be a point forward

Reply #798701 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good positive signing by Sixers. Does anyone know if Giddey and Mudronja are playing NBL1 this season? (Website seems to be a work in progress and can't find either of them listed) If so, which teams?

Reply #798703 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Good signing for Adelaide, but feel they are getting screwed regarding the Next Stars spot now being taken?

Reply #798705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations 36's impressive signing

Reply #798706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mudronja playing for Sturt.

I've seen Giddey in photos from the CoE, so I think he’s playing in the NSW league.

Reply #798707 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Why does he count as a Next Star? He's an Aussie, he should just be a regular roster spot shouldn't he?"

Hendo, I suspect its because he wouldn't be willing to settle for an ordinary development player slot and by making him a Next Star, the Sixers can get the league to pay part of his salary?

Reply #798708 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sixers Sign Josh Giddey as NBL Next Star AKA Gaze is the New 36ers Head Coach.

Reply #798709 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Mudronja playing for Sturt.

I've seen Giddey in photos from the CoE, so I think he's playing in the NSW league."

Thanks. Re: Giddey, he definitely played for CoE last season, but now that he is signed as a Next Star, I'm wondering if he has to move on from CoE?

Reply #798711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's playing as a next star because not,many Americans were available, most chose college. It looks to be 3 aussies,and 1-2 Americans for,ns
I think,we will see king and Wigness as ns also.

Next year they should, go,after drafted stock like louzada, not high school kids. No one will bring the attention as much as ball,did.

Reply #798712 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

The relationship between Andrew Gaze and Warrick Giddey is the obvious "carrot" yet no-one else has mentioned it so far.

Here's how it's gonna go.

Deep down, Andrew is/will always be a Tiger

36ers get Gaze but unannounced as yet.

Sign Giddey. ("don't say anything about Andrew, Ok?)

DMac added to coaching staff. (Shhh....!)

JVG signs 7 x D. MacDonalds.

Dave Simmons signed as team manager in charge of water & towels.

JVG signs Ben.

Purchases next. etc

36ers Shuts Down, Adelaide buys Tigers name and all their next generation players and Adelaide Tigers are born(-again).

SA suceeds to become part of Vic (actually, LK bought it), Adelaide becoming the centre of Melbourne's extremely western suburbs.

Adelaide Tigers become the (Very) West Melb Tigers, or VWM Tigers. Almost back where it all started!

Reply #798717 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Adelaide would have the advantage of offering playing time at most positions (an important consideration for young players) whereas other teams will have more returning and established players. Another factor could be that LK/NBL don't want Adelaide dropping off a cliff, so helped push this.

Reply #798719 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Are things that bad at the Sixers Isaac...? You seem to have plenty of inside information the last few months/year or just pure speculation...

Reply #798724 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Giddey is playing for the COE in the Warratah League

Reply #798725 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Good to see a btta good news.. like the shops having toilet paper...
A good day, although my first wife had an affair...
.... with my second wife....

Reply #798726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still a kid, a talented one, but still a kid.....

Reply #798727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't defend but can create and get to the rim.

Reply #798728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG picking the side long before the HC

Reply #798733 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A, no, I don't have particularly special information. Certainly nothing relevant to this signing or their situation. But the NBL has history and motivation in encouraging clubs that need encouragement.

Reply #798740 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Camel-31
Did you get to keep your dog and a video?
At least you can have the remote each night now

Reply #798741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's gaze job

Reply #798762 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Isaac, In years past you never gave out much information this season you provided a little more inside knowledge, which was unlike you;) Having some relationships within the club through work I strongly believe the club is going in the right direction, doing all it can within its means to capture a bigger market and presence in Adelaide and starting to really work on those small things that were never done before.

Reply #798773 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed with Isaac - LK owns the league and he's savvy about it, he wants competition not teams struggling.

He propped up Bullets, propped up Hawks and made them get new imports instead of tanking, he has propped up Adelaide. 36ers frequently have similar sponsors to Melbourne United and Brisbane Bullets - there’s a definite synergy via LKs influence.

Re Gaze, while Andrews a Melbourner through and through the family including Lindsay Gaze are from just north of Adelaide in country SA.

Reply #798778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Management signed him.
Looks like they will sign few players before Coach is signed.
T

Reply #798786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks tanking for what? They were just losing rather than spending good money after bad when they weren't making playoffs and knew Ball was bailing on them.

Reply #798787 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What do you mean, you just explained that they were tanking ie. they didn't want to sign new imports to compete, but LK made them do it to remain competitive in matches.

I don’t know what the controversial aspect of that is haha

Reply #798788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only thing is the the hawks imports were absolute crap, would've been better without them. Lot trouble down there with the owner.

Reply #798790 | Report this post

Geoff  
Years ago

Gaze will be the coach, 100% based on good intel.

Reply #798797 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Fantastic signing ...shows the fans the Sixers are out there doing something positive for the future.

Reply #798801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He propped up Bullets" No he didn't he started the club and owned the Club. Like United, and now Tassie. Why do people post such utter BS?

Reply #798811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there some reason why he might have *had* to be qualified as a Next Star, no matter who he signed for? I understand there is a financial incentive and advantage for declaring him as such (NBL pays some - or all? - of his salary), but if he *had* to be signed as a Next Star for some reason, than you could assume the one team that didn't pursue him might have been Sydney - sounds like they're thinking that they might have Didi back for one more season.

Reply #798832 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"He propped up Bullets" No he didn't he started the club and owned the Club. Like United, and now Tassie. Why do people post such utter BS?
A more charitable interpretation is "supported" which starting/funding is. No need for outrage.

Reply #798833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is being irresponsible to it's fans players and to the people of Perth.

Reply #798851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Australian government and opposition are literally spreading Coronavirus because of the budget and where just letting them do it to us. Wake up sheep.

Reply #798853 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Great signing. Please keep the management have signed a player without a coach to yourself.
I'd start him at the point. His main weapon is he's a distributor.
then id get a SG SF C
SG like Newbill- can defend, run the point for a bit and can hit 3's.
SF hopefully spend some cash here.
C someone who can catch and finish and rebound.

Reply #798865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A more charitable interpretation is "supported" which starting/funding is. No need for outrage.
Isaac, he owns the clubs that he started. He has a few co owners but ultimately he still owns the clubs in question. I don't beleive that any of these clubs has an owner with more of a % ownership than LK.

Reply #798876 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Is there some reason why he might have *had* to be qualified as a Next Star, no matter who he signed for? I understand there is a financial incentive and advantage for declaring him as such (NBL pays some - or all? - of his salary), but if he *had* to be signed as a Next Star for some reason, than you could assume the one team that didn't pursue him might have been Sydney - sounds like they're thinking that they might have Didi back for one more season.

Sydney did pursue Giddey.

The only team that didn't chase him were Perth. Mainly because they have Luke Travers, who will most likely become an NBA player too (after a year or two at Perth)

Reply #798878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect 1 American next star, 3 aussies.
Following season there will be none, instead stashed nba draftees.

Reply #798880 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Expect 1 American next star, 3 aussies

Is this a guess? Or do you know something we all don't?

Reply #798881 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

This is very interesting news.

Rumour is that he was chasing a starting spot/guaranteed minutes.

With no coach or confirmed roster, it is risky if there is any guarantee.

You would imagine the ideal Adelaide lineup is:
PG - Import
SG - Drmic
SF - Import
PF - DJ
C - Import

Where would Giddey fit in here?

He is no doubt talented but I don't think he is in front of Drmic at this stage.

Can Giddey guard Casper, Trimble, Cotton, Machada etc. I don't think so at this point.

So if he is guaranteed a starting spot, does he start and then come out after 2 mins?

Is the owner making promises and setting the coach up fro failure?

Reply #798899 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac, he owns the clubs that he started. He has a few co owners but ultimately he still owns the clubs in question. I don't beleive that any of these clubs has an owner with more of a % ownership than LK.
No shit. What are you actually disputing where I've suggested that a charitable reading of OP would understand the point they're trying to make?

Reply #798905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a kid people. Signing him for one year has no benefit on the court it's just good PR. He is physically not ready for the NBL. Not even close. Make him a starter and major contributor and you will lose. End of story. Sign him for a longer term and develop him then yes, this is a great signing. Shades of Illawarra in this and look how that turned out.

Reply #798908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Shades of Illawarra in this and look how that turned out."

I think you are getting ahead of yourself if you think Giddey is going to prove himself to be world class within the space of a dozen games

Reply #798912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I agree but thats how JVG is talking this up. A coach is going to have to come in and deal with this, with possibly the expectations from management and the kid himself that he's going to play. He's not ready The kid in reality is a talented DP. At 17 years of age there are so many unknowns. Obviously, signing for one year he's punting for the NBA. What benefit does this serve the club? Now if there was a clause stating if he missed out on the NBA that he was further contracted to the 36ers for x years then fine. This is nothing more than a good news story with JVG trying to show he's on top of things. Costs the club very little but the situation this club is in right now, they need a Next Star that is going to contribute in a big way i.e Louzada.
This is a wasted appointment.

Reply #798917 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

^ I agree but thats how JVG is talking this up. A coach is going to have to come in and deal with this, with possibly the expectations from management and the kid himself that he's going to play. He's not ready The kid in reality is a talented DP. At 17 years of age there are so many unknowns. Obviously, signing for one year he's punting for the NBA. What benefit does this serve the club? Now if there was a clause stating if he missed out on the NBA that he was further contracted to the 36ers for x years then fine. This is nothing more than a good news story with JVG trying to show he's on top of things. Costs the club very little but the situation this club is in right now, they need a Next Star that is going to contribute in a big way i.e Louzada.
This is a wasted appointment.

I don't agree with you at all.

I would likely say that Giddey will be back up point guard with the starting PG going to an import spot.

He WILL contribute straight away.

He will be better than Drmic from game one (in my opinion)

He may contribute more than what Didi has for the Kings (I believe he will)

To say he is a wasted appointment is absolute rubbish.

Wait and see. I think you will be surprised.

Reply #798923 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

I'll say it again for the people who are having trouble thinking this is a good signing.
He's a 6'8 point guard, an elite distributor, who can rebound the ball and knock down the open 3. He doesn't rely on athleticism to play, so I cant see him struggling to do what he does already.
yes he's 17 but his strengths suit the way he'll play in the NBL.
yes he wont guard the opposition PG's hence why I suggested a SG who can defend.
He'll defend either the 1/2/3 depending on matchups.
build the imports around this and its a great signing, unlike the Hawks where Ball was heavily relied to score, rebound, pass and defend the star PG's.
Let the kid play to his strengths and we might see some team ball and actually sets being ran at Adelaide.

Reply #798928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deshon Taylor anyone? Can play off-ball where he's better suited & can guard the 1

Reply #798939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

News.com

Shocking X-rays of a man killed by coronavirus show how the deadly disease ravages its victims' lungs which in some cases can be deadly.

The Chinese patient, who worked at the Wuhan seafood market thought to be the origin of the outbreak, was just 44-years-old when he died from the virus.

Now doctors are sharing the images to reveal the true extent of the damage COVID-19 can cause.

Reply #798958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^
And?

Reply #798989 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Listening to Henry speak about Giddey.
He was not involved at that time, but had watched Giddey play and is a big wrap for the kid.

Good move by Adelaide. Great to see an eligible Aussie become a Next Star.

I'm a little surprised his dad didn't push for a Melbourne team, but I guess like anything it comes down to a combination of money and opportunity.
I can imagine that the league would be trying to push NS's into other teams, but also keep in mind that some teams seem to have limited interest in the NS program, and others might prefer to target the best available US talent

Reply #807250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When he said teys has signed, I gave up hope for Adelaide.

Reply #807251 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:56 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754