Isaac
Years ago

Remainder of NBL Grand Final series to be closed to public

NBL Owner and Executive Chairman Larry Kestelman has made the following statement:

"After consultation with local, state and federal authorities as well as our clubs, we have made a decision that the remainder of the Hungry Jack's NBL Grand Final Series presented by MG between the Sydney Kings and Perth Wildcats will be closed to the general public.

"The health and well-being of our players, staff, officials and fans is paramount. As a family sport we felt this was the only decision to make.

"We commend the Kings, Wildcats and their ownership groups for supporting this move despite being a difficult commercial decision for all concerned. But they were just as resolute as us in regard to prioritising the welfare of players, staff and everyone else concerned ahead of commercial considerations.

"We will continue to monitor the situation and follow all protocols as outlined by the relevant authorities. In the event of a player, staff member or official testing positive to Coronavirus we will immediately suspend the series.

"I'm proud of our sport and the stance we have taken during this difficult time. We thank our teams, players, staff, officials and fans for their understanding and patience during what is a very challenging time for everybody and we wish both teams the best of the luck for the remainder of the series."

Perth currently leads the series 1-0. The schedule for the remainder of the best of five game series is as follows:

Game two - Friday March 13, 9.30pm AEDT
Game three - Sunday March 15, 5pm AEDT
Game four - (if required) - Friday March 20, 9.30pm AEDT
Game five - (if required) - Sunday March 22, 5pm AEDT

All games of the Grand Final Series will be broadcast live on SBS VICELAND, ESPN and SKY Sport.

Topic #47043 | Report this topic

Cats for life  
Years ago

No point really, won't care either way to be honest feel for the players really.

Reply #799127 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Making the call 4 hours before the game is about to start.

Wow NBL.

Reply #799137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gonna be an interesting experience watching this on TV

Reply #799139 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Surely they would have Game 3 over here on Sunday to reduce travel and risk if infection, then if required have 4 and 5 back in Sydney next weekend??

Reply #799140 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Will the Wildcats still have their courtisde MC at the game..

"LETS GO WILDCATS LETS GO!!!"
"I CANT HEAR YOU!!!!"
"AAAAHHH LETS GO WILDCATS LETS GO!"

Reply #799141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad luck for Perth fans tonight

Reply #799142 | Report this post

Pointguard  
Years ago

LoveBroker you can hardly blame the NBL seriously

Reply #799143 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Of course you can, it should have been called off days ago.

Reply #799145 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Considering the timing of the announcement from the government today not sure we can blame the NBL. No crowd and players minds are probably not going to be 100% on the task either I don't think. Tempted to say they should've just called it. Give Perth the crown or whatever, if I'm being asked to stay home from work not sure it's fair to expect players to show up to their office, even with no crowds.

Reply #799146 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The government could have said "everything is fine, go ahead" and the NBL still should have locked it down.

Reply #799148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a night mare, but it’s the correct decision. Door is slightly ajar for kings now. Horrible way for season to play out but as Ned said on Ben has tattooed, Such is Life..

Reply #799149 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Just call the whole thing off an declare the Wildcats the Champions.

But still make the entire Kings team watch Wagstaff cut the nets down @ Kudos.

Reply #799153 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm surprised they didn't play this one as normal and then go fan-free from here given how many entities until today were carrying on as normal. It's definitely late notice for Perth fans.

Reply #799154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just play games 3-5 at a neutral venue, there is no advantage anymore and reduces exposure.

Hope we get court mics, should be able to hear some good trash talk.

Reply #799156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is rough but understandable - NBL doing what they need to do.

Curious to see how the game presents on TV with no people in the stands, is it played in total silence?

Get ready to hear the coaches and players in full voice through the courtside mics?

Reply #799158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Friday the 13th hey. Crazy shit.

Reply #799161 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Making the call 4 hours before the game is about to start.

Wow NBL."

As opposed to before the extent of the pandemic was understood? Or well after so the situation can potentially worsen? SMH

Reply #799162 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Formula 1, by comparison, announced the event would not go ahead 1 hour AFTER the event began, from what I'm told.

Reply #799164 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It was pretty well understood yesterday and for several hours this morning, even to the general public.

The time to act was weeks ago. Notice that the SARS-affected countries aren't having the issues the rest of the world is having, because they learned from their mistakes and have procedures in place.

Reply #799165 | Report this post

Raas  
Years ago

"
PlaymakerMo
Today

"Making the call 4 hours before the game is about to start.

Wow NBL."

As opposed to before the extent of the pandemic was understood? Or well after so the situation can potentially worsen? SMH

"

I think he means, as opposed to last night, or the day before. Concerts I was attending got cancelled days ago, and their numbers were marginal in comparison.

4 Hours before is a little late in the decision process.

Reply #799166 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

NBL a complete joke
4 hrs before game. 2 days before government advice ban.
Ffs, give fans the opportunity to go if they want to,
If you were that concerned about virus you would cancel competition now.

Reply #799169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better late than having even just 10 people unknowingly getting infected and snowballing from there

Reply #799173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there insurance for this stuff

Reply #799185 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sweet will be able to hear Gleeson's squealing unencumbered now.

Reply #799186 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Silver lining:

Provides an opportunity to observe/gather empirical evidence on how a home stadium crowd might influence decisions made by game referees/officials.

Plus we don't have to endure seeing the likes of Senator11, Cats for life, Timberball and Train's toothless grins :-)

Only joking, I feel your frustration, I would be pissed if I had tickets only to get this news hours before tip-off.

Reply #799190 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

This will be a very interesting series, no home crowd advantage, all three refs and the players having perfect clarity in hearing the rants from the coaches from anywhere on the court,
Refs not having the unconscious and unavoidable influence of 10K people all sighing "no" at once.

fantastic , since I don't have tickets to either game

Reply #799191 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I feel your frustration, I would be pissed if I had tickets only to get this news hours before tip-off.
I'm not. It means I'll get my money back. If it has gone ahead I'd be out $80 and still not at the game because attending would be moronic.

Reply #799194 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't actually care too much about the game.
BUT it highlights the ridiculous different standards

The virus is still spreading in Australia, BECAUSE we keep flying people back from China (via Hong Kong) and not imposing any sort of quarantine.

There are bullshit claims that you can only catch the virus from people in the same row as you. On a 6 hour flight, the whole plane is at risk.

My chances of catching anything by going to a NBL game are slim. But what about the people who have to catch public transport every day, especially coming up to winter. At the best of times, Perth trains are wall-to-wall flying mucous.

As usual, the government picks on SOFT targets, rather than actually making hard calls.

ALL flights out of SE Asia should be cancelled, except for medivac flights going straight to quarantine.
Anybody using public transport should be wearing masks, as should anybody serving the public.

Reply #799197 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Four hours notice is better than even four people catching this virus.

Reply #799199 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Will the players still be introduced onto the court with Requiem of a Dream or Alan Parsons Project or just the Clap of Towel boys?

Reply #799200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Four hours notice is fine. Remember a couple of days ago NBA teams cancelled games while the teams were warming up and 15-20k fans already there?

Reply #799201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a liquid situation which is changing by the second. If your main issue with this virus is a canceled sports event 4 hours out, then your winning! Suck it up, this is inconvenient for everyone in some way.

Reply #799203 | Report this post

stiil no idea  
Years ago

"and still not at the game because attending would be moronic"

I understand that statement does make sense as an explanation and justification for almost everyone else on this forum ... But ....????.

:))))

Reply #799204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such Bullshit

Reply #799207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth win play third game in Perth, if Sydney win play next to games in Sydney, if two all then final game in Perth. Play every second day.

Reply #799212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Four hours notice is fine. Remember a couple of days ago NBA teams cancelled games while the teams were warming up and 15-20k fans already there?"
No one warmed up idiot.
1 or 2 players came out and took "shots" Iresponsible. So other dickhead player did a presser and then touched everyone's recording equipment deliberatley. Even more of a dickhead. He needs to be fined.

Reply #799213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It was pretty well understood yesterday and for several hours this morning, even to the general public."

Kobe, there are posts even on this thread from morons that think they know better than the epidemiology experts advising governments and organisations. Clearly it was not well understood, because it still isn't by many - if not the majority.

Reply #799214 | Report this post

Hugh Jass  
Years ago

The courtside mics could be the stepping stones to Trevs record contract. He won't be worrying about the game, just hitting the right notes.

Reply #799215 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It was well understood by those who have the capacity and willingness to understand it.

Reply #799218 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Finally, now they can play the rest of the games in the Melbourne studio.

Reply #799222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm curious will there be music played or cheerleaders dancing

Reply #799223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the Murdoch press and the government don't realise how bad it is it’s understandable that the masses don’t, they are sheep, most of them share a brain amongst twenty.

Reply #799225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect the normal game night presentation.

Reply #799232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just seems mad that they're not just calling it a three game series. Be realistic, and control the narrative.

Reply #799253 | Report this post

Reperio  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see which Club is advantaged / disadvantaged in this series due to the Federal Government's "crowd ban".

We will have to wait and see how the series pans out.

At the very least, this is a real let down for Perth and Sydney fans having waited an entire season only to see the final curtains drawn with no one on stage.

We are in Clown world now.

This is the apparent reality of our new world order.

Reply #799255 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I agree.
Play games 2 & 3 in Perth, then 4 & 5 in Sydney if needed.

And no, that doesn't advantage Perth. Sydney must now win at least one game in Perth to win. Doesn't matter if that is game 3, 4, or 5.

Otherwise, they might as well play tonight since everyone is here, but after that should just call it off.
If Perth wins two, give it to Perth, otherwise award it to both and send everyone home.

Whichever way it goes, this ship will always have an * next to it.

AFL & NRL seasons are looking fucked as

Reply #799262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reperio, we are in a world that is trying to put health of humans ahead of sports results. Hardly a clown world. Pandemics are quite inconvenient.

Reply #799265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It will be interesting to see which Club is advantaged / disadvantaged in this series due to the Federal Government's "crowd ban". There is no crowd ban so far.

Reply #799267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK making sense as usual, basketball are very lucky to have him.

Reply #799274 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LK on the mic!

He said if any GF player comes down with corona virus the series will be suspended.

Reply #799276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the hells Lucas walker doing there at the back

Reply #799281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why's the NRL playing round 1 with fans? But the nbl is playing without fans in a grand final match? One would assume it would be the other way around if anything. Not saying their should be fans at the games but if you’re going to do it...do it for all events.

Reply #799286 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Because it's different people making the decisions. And the NRL are idiots.

Reply #799302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch norton dear god

Reply #799334 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wouldn't it be significantly cheaper to play at some small venue than renting a major venture for nobody to go to haha

Reply #799356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET - I think if they are insisting on Game 4 and 5, they should fly both teams to 'neutral' Melbourne and play them as fast as possible (Tuesday/Wednesday) at the NBL-ready MSAC.
Honestly, it likely is just a race against time before a player or team staff member contracts the virus, at which point it's all shut down for both teams, and then are revised logic for awarding one of them as the champion. And there is *no point* in flying back and forth between Sydney and Perth and opening up these expensive 15k and 20k seat arenas.
Honestly, I'd start this with Game 3. Fly the teams from Perth to Melbourne tomorrow, keep them in one isolation-manageable location, play Games 3 and 4 and maybe 5 over 4 days at MSAC and give the series it's best chance of actually completing.

Reply #799392 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Now that it's 1-1 I'd be suggesting to both teams that we play game 3 for all the marbles while there is still a relatively fair way to decide a champion.

Reply #799393 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

^^
I reckon play game 3 in Perth (Bendat) and if Sydney win, call the series 2-1.

If Perth wins, then I think you have to charter a plane and fly both teams to Sydney for games 4 & 5.

Reply #799396 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cancel it.

Can't risk a Kings win now that the series is tied 1-1.

Reply #799397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm starting to lean towards a deciding Game 3. If one player between now and game 3 is sick then it’s called anyways. Better to aim for a quick result than to extend and risk no champion at all. Neither team can possibly say it’s unfair.

Reply #799400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if it stays 1-1 Kings would win on points difference

Reply #799401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that occurred and the Kings were declared as 2020 Premiers, it wouldn't exactly feel like a crime against humanity, as disappointing as it would be for Perth fans. Record season, leading from start to finish, one of the more justifiable and defensible circumstances, TBH.

Reply #799403 | Report this post

Lee  
Years ago

A question for the NBL powers to be Larry and co . You wouldn't let Perth fans attend the game last night due to the Coronavirus and health concerns for players however it doesn’t seem to matter that they have to fly to Sydney . No restrictions there it seems . And also the government rule regarding crowds of 500 people doesn’t come in till Monday. Sounds like a stitch up to me !

Reply #799408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where has old mate copy and paste gone? Now the decision has been made his pathetic rhetoric doesn't carry the same air of doom does it.

Reply #799409 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Is their flight going to have 13,000 people on it Lee?

Reply #799410 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Only takes 1 greggo

Reply #799428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I blame Corona Virus on Larry.... Is that what we all think?

Reply #799494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lee - sports leagues around the world have been going crowd-less or postponing/cancelling events for a week or so now, and it has almost entirely been *ahead* of government instructions to do so. Bunch of reasons why - part public interest, part risk management (whether that's player health, or even fear of negative publicity).

The other thing with these two NBL games specifically, is that while the Wildcats may have had 13,000 fans 'banned', I wonder if they were actually expecting 13,000 to turn up? Or if they were getting enough calls and enquiries (or demands) around refunds that they had some sense of an actual low turnout being likely, and the sense that the right and best thing to do, given the circumstances, would be to offer refunds for those who didn't feel right about turning up? Wouldn't have been a good look if they told potentially thousands of their loyal fans that if they didn't feel good about turning up, they would still have to wear the cost.

If that was the case, you might find that the event was actually effectively (officially) cancelled, allowing some sort of insurance coverage to kick in. The game was still played at the venue, but the *event* was cancelled.

Reply #799517 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754