Bizzy
Years ago

NBL Officially Cancels Rest of GF Series

The NBL has officially cancelled games 4 & 5.

The NBL has decided to cancel the remaining games of the Grand Final series between the Sydney Kings and Perth Wildcats.

Game four was scheduled to be played on Friday at RAC Arena. Sydney Kings management have indicated today that they did not wish to proceed with the remainder of the series given the global uncertainty and effects around COVID-19.

NBL Owner and Executive Chairman Larry Kestelman said: "We respect the decision in what are extraordinary times for everyone. We are understanding of not just the players' health and well being but also their desire to be with their families, especially given so many of them have family overseas.

“Having consulted with the Australian Basketball Players’ Association we have decided the remaining games shall not be played. With Perth leading the best of five game series 2-1, we will now consider a decision on the outcome of the championship over the next 48 hours.

“We acknowledge both teams for what has been a fantastic series and season. Sydney was the only team to have gone through an entire NBL season on top of the ladder and Perth was leading the Grand Final series.

“This has been an incredible season for the NBL and one of the best in our 41-year history with record attendances and world class basketball. We thank all of our teams, officials, staff, partners and fans for their outstanding support and we look forward to returning even bigger and better in 2020-21.

“We wish everyone around Australia and around the world all the very best and to stay safe during these challenging times."

Topic #47064 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats Perth.

Reply #800222 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Yet I still have to take public transport to work and my kids are going to a large school....go figure.

If it's not awarded to Perth they'll be a riot.

Reply #800223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would also say congrats Perth but no doubt Sydney will lobby hard for a draw.

For future years stick to best of 3.

Reply #800226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sydney have indicated that they do not want to proceed then the championship should be awarded to Perth (who are obviously already leading the series).

Reply #800227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol if Perth doesn't get it then we know it’s rigged

Reply #800230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney doing the correct thing by their players, it should be joint premier.

Reply #800231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why take 48hrs to make an announcement?
Should have been announced in same press conference that just occurred.

Reply #800233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joint premiers this isn't under 12s.
In my mind Perth has won.

Reply #800234 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I like how even the press conference admits the Kings are making all the decisions. Grow some balls JL & KL.

Reply #800235 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LK*

Reply #800236 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

For future years stick to best of 3.

I don't know about that, but as far as this year goes, plenty of us saw this coming last week.

Reply #800237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was United down 2-1 bet LK would make sure they win.

Reply #800240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I certainly don't think it would be fair. But with Sydney making the call they are basically allowing the NBL to award the championship to Perth

Reply #800241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney quit, when there is nothing stopping them (other than fear - which is well waranted). Award the title to Perth.

I thought the #hoopscapital was made of sterner stuff

Reply #800242 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

With Perth leading the best of five game series 2-1, we will now consider a decision on the outcome of the championship over the next 48 hours.

48 hours to do what? Extra time for the Kings to try and bully the league?

Reply #800243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth play in front of a Sydney crowd and win.

Perth agree to lock out their home fans with a few hours notice and lose.

Perth agree to fly back to Sydney, and win.

How would they not deserve it after that sort of bullshit?

Reply #800245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the equivalent of Perth leading at 3 quarter time. They can have the win etc but sport is and never will be decided by in game results. Will always be an asterix to this one purely because of the NBL's moronically slow decision making.

Should’ve been announced a 3 game series before game 3. Now it’s nothing. Not even any true Perth fans will take great pride in this *title.

Reply #800246 | Report this post

Charon72  
Years ago

48 hours to get it passed lawyers obviously.

Reply #800247 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

NBL do not need 48 hours to make a decision.

Reply #800249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney didn't quit. WA just went BOOM with new rules surrounding interstate travel. Moronic statement. If the kings had won game 4 would’ve taken them 2 weeks to get back to Sydney for game 5.

Reply #800250 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Isn't it obvious that Perth should be awarded the championship?

NBL should've just called it a 3-game series before game 3 was played so players had the chance to celebrate and it wasn't an anti-climax for the fans.

Reply #800251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go hard or go to Sydney

Reply #800252 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

WHen Perth had to travel: "OMG THE LEAGUE IS SO IRRESPONSIBLE THEY SHOULD'VE SHUT IT DOWN A WEEK AGO, THIS IS SO DANGEROUS"

When Sydney make the decision: "Typical Sydney always getting their way"

Reply #800253 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Well done Sydney, and well done LK. It doesn't matter how we got there: the correct decision was made.

Reply #800254 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Kings won 20 games during the regular season.

Perth won 19.

Both went 2-1 in their semis.

Perth up 2-1 in the finals series, making both teams square on 23 wins.

Without going to for/against (which would be pretty silly imo), I can't see how you award it one way or the other.

No winner in 2019/20 season for mine. Or give it to Cairns! :)

Reply #800255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL grand final series has been called off, with the league yet to decide on whether Perth or Sydney will be awarded the trophy."

Pretty clear. Sydney lead all year. Minor Premiers. Carry that through. Those pushing that Sydney are dictating the NBL clearly have never worked with Kestleman.

Reply #800257 | Report this post

Curltey  
Years ago

Utter rubbish. Unless players tested positive it's a terrible decision by Sydney. I'm a kings fan but Perth deserves this unless more info comes to light.

No way cairns would've done this in the same situation as Sydney, they're clearly just scared to lose legitimately.

It's not round 1 - it's the grand final series FFS.

Reply #800258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final Should remain 5 games next year, still best of 3 semis.

Reply #800259 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

When Sydney make the decision: "Typical Sydney always getting their way"

Catch up stupid.

No one is pushing for a Game 4 and 5.

Have a think about what is the most important decision is now. Feel free to ask your parents for help.

Reply #800260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no travel bans in WA at the moment.

Travel suggestion by AMA has been rejected by government at this stage.

Sydney has chosen to quit.

Reply #800261 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

What am I not caught up on LoveBroker?

Sydney made the right decision at all points. Game 2 should've gone ahead with no crowd- correct call. No more travel should be entertained - correct call. Whinge all you want.

The league let you down, not Sydney. Should've called it the decider on Sunday, or had more foresight when this started going down 12 days ago.

Reply #800262 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Isn't it obvious that Perth should be awarded the championship?

You'd think so, because this involves Sydney.

Reply #800263 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You'd think so, but this involves Sydney.*

Reply #800264 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Top of the ladder gives you home court, Kings have lost home court and refuse to travel, that's their decision and is a forfeit in my books. NBL need bigger balls, sounds like Kings are calling all the shots.

Reply #800265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should've been played Tuesday/Wednesday at Titanium Security Arena. NBL should've acted quicker cos this is a serious mess when three games have already been played.

Reply #800266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sydney are awarded the title it will be meaningless and always have an *.

Reply #800267 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Not Perth fault that Bogut CBF.

Reply #800268 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Comments in the Sydney presser were bizarre. Sydney openly admit they chose to 'withdraw' from the remainder of the games for health and safety reasons.

Reply #800270 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Going to be meaningless regardless of gets the chip. Outside circumstances have decided this one, not the players worse luck.

Reply #800271 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Extraordinary circumstances here. I am not sure the crowning of the champion would be valid. Both teams went in under the understanding that it would be a 5 game series. Cutting it after 3 and then saying, "well I guess that's the result" seems to undermine that. If you want to give Perth the "Bat-Soup Super-Happy-Fun Champion" tag then go for it though, I suppose. But the finals series definitely lacks in gravitas due to it all.

And yeah, that's to be expected. We have a global pandemic that has come out of nowhere and that will eat away at normality for months or maybe even years to come. The NBL made the decision they had to make. No one is being unfairly treated here. This is completely external to the NBL.

Reply #800272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever is done regarding the championship, it'll be deeply unrewarding for both teams, as well as fans.

I think the outcome was always going to be a disappointment for all concerned, once fans were excluded from the games. Even if the series went to 4 or 5 games and one team won the deciding game, receiving the trophy in an empty stadium, with no opportunity to celebrate with fans (then or later), would have killed a lot of the sense of triumph.

That said, I have no issue with the NBL excluding the fans from games 2 and 3. Paraphrasing the basketball coach Al Maguire, "Winning only matters in war and medicine". It's a lot more important to win this medical battle than a couple of basketball games.

Reply #800273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think many of us can agree, this isn't about perth "winning another championship" it's more about not rewarding sydney for their nonsense.

Reply #800274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The minor premier argument for Sydney is stupid.

Perth will be champs if commonsense is involved in decision.

Reply #800275 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I thought Paul Smith spoke pretty well, and I've got no issues whatsoever with the Kings making this decision.

Reply #800276 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Go hard or go to Sydney

Melbourne were right.

Reply #800277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" WHen Perth had to travel: "OMG THE LEAGUE IS SO IRRESPONSIBLE THEY SHOULD'VE SHUT IT DOWN A WEEK AGO, THIS IS SO DANGEROUS""

That was certainly not the consensus view from Perth fans.

Reply #800278 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"I think many of us can agree, this isn't about perth "winning another championship" it's more about not rewarding sydney for their nonsense."

^Hard to argue with this...

Reply #800279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If Perth are awarded the title it will be meaningless and always have an *.

Don'yt they already have a * championship?

Reply #800280 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Go hard or go to Sydney

Go hard until you're down 2-1 in a series and then refuse to go to Perth.

Reply #800281 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I think many of us can agree, this isn't about perth "winning another championship" it's more about not rewarding sydney for their nonsense.

Perfect summary. Now we have another 48 hours to wait for whatever new angles they attempt to come up with. #SeeIncredible

Reply #800282 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If the EPL cancelled their season and awarded Liverpool the winners, that would be just, the champions are based solely on Ladder position, plus Liverpool are ahead by a decent margin with 9 games left.

This doesn't apply to basketball, and it doesn't take a savant to work out why.

Reply #800283 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I totally agree Sydney have no argument for winning the championship based on the regular season.

I just also don't think you can call Perth the champions for a non-completed playoffs series, that was agreed to be played over 5 games "to be fair to the players."

I think you call it a draw/ no result.

(P.s: I'm not even a Sydney fan. I'm from Adelaide and live in Melbourne. Went to mostly SEM games this year)

Reply #800284 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"This is the equivalent of Perth leading at 3 quarter time. They can have the win etc but sport is and never will be decided by in game results. Will always be an asterix to this one purely because of the NBL's moronically slow decision making. "

Are you forgetting the game that called off between NZ and Hawks which was called off due to a leaking roof at 3/4 time and awarded to the team in front at the time. It's no different. More than half the series has been played and Perth are up 2-1. Perth should win.

Reply #800285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBA went with silly ladder logic then Milwaukee would be champions.
That would be an insult to Lakers amongst others.
I know this doesn't have a lot to do with nbl but people can see the point I'm making.

Reply #800286 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

King's said that the decision was there's with no pressure for the NBL, so it sounds like they will be happy with whatever decision is made?

Reply #800287 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There definitely should be no consideration whatsoever in awarding the title to Sydney or even a joint title. Paul Smith and the Kings are sneaky though and seem to have gotten their way so far at every stage of this ever-changing Grand Final series landscape. That's what worries me.

Declaring the season null and void is the correct call, which is what has occurred during war time. The only reason why sports leagues around the world today don't want to do this is because there is now big money at stake and would result in legally not being entitled to remaining broadcast rights for the season. NBL doesn't have this issue.

Reply #800288 | Report this post

Peter Ward  
Years ago

There is another option. Suspend the finals and play game 4 (and 5 if necessary) when it's possible. With fans in attendance!

Reply #800289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Null and void is the correct decision.

Reply #800290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they can hire a few cars or a minivan and just drive over to Perth, load up the esky and they'll be fine. If they win then Perth have to do the same road trip, simple.
And before morons lose their minds, I'm joking.

Reply #800291 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Perth are up 2 and 1, but it was the best of 5 so anything could happen. Having said that, if teams have a 50% of winning, then the following could happen.

Game 4: 50% chance of a Perth W, 50% change of a Kings W
Game 5: 50% chance of a Perth W, 50% change of a Kings W

So, outcome 1:
50% chance: Perth Win in G4
25% chance: Kings Win G4, G5
25% chance: Perth L G4, W G5

Therefore there's a 25% chance of a Kings title, 75% chance of a Perth title

Give the title to Perth. It'll give us all something to give them banter about in the up coming years with those Cats fan.

"Remember the 2020 title you won by default? Your Clayton's Flag"

I assume the NBL will make the Flag out of toilet paper for the Cats?

There's also a case to award it to Sydney too. They were the number 1 ranked team entering the series and finished minor premiers. They finished 20 and 8 + better %, Perth finished 19 and 9.

Reply #800294 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That last paragraph. No.

Reply #800295 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Null and void is the correct decision.

#AnyoneButSydney

Reply #800296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" There's also a case to award it to Sydney too. They were the number 1 ranked team entering the series and finished minor premiers. They finished 20 and 8 + better %, Perth finished 19 and 9."

How does that make the case they should win the grand final?

Reply #800297 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Just how much it's worth is arguable, but it's definitely a point in their favour.
If the NBL wanted to name one team the champion it would undoubtedly be easier for them to award it to Perth if Perth had finished clear on top of the ladder as well as being up 2-1 in the GF.

Reply #800298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#297 it doesn't make a case but the grand final series is not over. Joint champions should be considered.

Reply #800300 | Report this post

catfan  
Years ago

Really poor by Sydney to play the Corona card and throw in the towel.The seriousness of the Corona virus has not changed between game 3 and today. They could've highlighted this as a concern on Sunday and call it a 3 game series.

To only bring it to light after the fact is poor.

NBL decision in 48 hrs doesn't really make any difference, they've already tainted this entire season through poor mismanagement of expectations and untimely decision making.

What a joke of a year. Hats off LK for the 1 step forward you took this year, you just went back another 2.

Reply #800301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was Perth and Melbourne playing in the grand final, would Sydney be awarded the title now?

Reply #800302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There's also a case to award it to Sydney too. They were the number 1 ranked team entering the series and finished minor premiers. They finished 20 and 8 + better %, Perth finished 19 and 9."

Actually if they went the path of regular season it would probably come down to Head to Head results like the mini-ladder.

Reply #800303 | Report this post

Hogwash72  
Years ago

Jack Toft. Salty much !!

Reply #800304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mini-ladder isn't a thing anymore.

Why not include the semi results as well? I’d be interested to see what Sydney’s points % dropped to after their game 2 drubbing from Melbourne.

Reply #800305 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

So if Sydney had been eliminated by Melbourne, and we call off the GF series at Perth 2 - Melbourne 1, there are people here that would declare Sydney the champions due to ladder position?

Reply #800306 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The only fair outcome is shared/ drawn championship.

Reply #800308 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

For the record, I'd rather have no champions than have to share a title with the Kings.
(That's speaking both as a Cats fan, and also as someone trying to objectively think of what the league will do)

I don't think any of these elite competitors wants the hollowness of being a joint champion, or the hollowness of being named the sole champion without fully earning it for that matter.

Reply #800309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes that's why "like" was included. GF series should only ever consider head to head of the teams involved, that's the whole point of the series.

Reply #800310 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If there is an interruption mid-game that causes the rest of the game to be cancelled, as happened in Illawarra this season, then the winner of that game is determined by the score at the time it is cancelled. Same should apply to playoff series. Wildcats are deserving winners of the championship in these extraordinary circumstances.

Reply #800311 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Sydney's argument could be regular season was completed. They were on top. Post season not complete. Doesn't count.

I wouldn't buy it though

Reply #800313 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This situation has evolved everyday

You can't blame either team for not wanting to continue. You can't talk about what happened 3 or 4 days ago.

This Saturday we were due to attend a 30th and my wife's friend had a baby shower planned.

Both were cancelled today. As was my daughter's playgroup this Friday.

It really feels only a matter of time before all schools close down. Or perhaps don't re-open after school holidays.

Reply #800314 | Report this post

Tim  
Years ago

so NBL cancel Game 2 crowd.
Sydney want to finish rest of games in Perth for safety? No
Want to make 3 game series? No
Perth win game 3.
Syd want to move game 4 to wed? No we want it on fri
Nek minute.

The NBL is corrupt. is there some form of Panel or does LK make all these moves.

Reply #800315 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If schools don't reopen, then all students must be awarded Dux of he school because the year didn't complete properly.

All students should get unchecked entry to any University course as they would have got top marks had the exams took place.

Reply #800316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" This Saturday we were due to attend a 30th and my wife's friend had a baby shower planned.

Both were cancelled today. As was my daughter's playgroup this Friday. "

Oh ok then. Sydney wins!

Reply #800317 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

@Lovebroker

Good analogy that everyone is dux, but in the same way can we award the dux to the kid with the best test scores before we hold the final end of year exams?

Reply #800318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well someone has already added the 2020 championship to the Wildcats on Wikipedia. That's good enough for me!

Reply #800319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL is corrupt. is there some form of Panel or does LK make all these moves."
Mate it's a privately oned League. Tell soomeone who cares. It's not me. It Kestleman.

Reply #800320 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes, especially in a case where most of the exams have taken place.

Reply #800321 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Perth champions
Cotton finals mvp

This is only decision that can be made

Reply #800322 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I disagree Yinka.

Casper Ware should be awarded MVP and the Wildcats should give him one of the nets from Qudos.

Reply #800323 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

I don't see how anyone can be crowned champion without a dirty big asterisk next to the title. Unsatisfying as it is, it's an unfinished season.

Reply #800324 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

It's getting out of control, professional sports are shutting down, yet my local rec centre wants us to play semi-finals tomorrow night?!? It's all about the dollar. Australia's infection rates are growing exponentially. Today an aged care worker in WA has been diagnose with COVID-19 after returning from Hawaii and then returning to work.

Australian leaders need to pull their finger out and grow some balls.

At this point I don't think either team should care about the trophy and start helping to educate the community.

Reply #800325 | Report this post

PW10  
Years ago

Perth have to be awarded the title. Minor premiers is irrelevant when you have a finals series.

If the NBL can award a winner earlier this year in a game that wasn't complete based on the score at the time, then they have to follow suit here.

Perth were leading 2-1 and let’s be honest, SYDNEY QUIT.

The Wildcats should be crowned champions.

Why they need 48 hours to think about it beggars belief.

Reply #800326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

48hrs to think how not to give it to Perth

Reply #800327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot has changed since Sunday and today, those saying it hasn't are talking crap, I’m hearing some guys wanted to continue but the welfare of team and family was put first.
No premiers or joint is the only fair way out, I’d prefer no premiers as the season wasn’t complete.

Reply #800328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then the welfare of the players should have been thought of after game 2, instead of putting them back on a plane to Sydney. An option was given to speed the series up and potentially get a result but Sydney didnt want to know about it.

Reply #800330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney definitely trying to be sneaky with this. Did they ask Perth to stay and play game 4 in Sydney? Nope.

Reply #800331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know that they didn't? A lot of opinions being worded as facts. This falls on the nbl not the kings

Reply #800333 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Outcomes in order of desirability (i.e. that would satisfy majority of fans of all teams, not just Perth):

= Perth
= No-one
Both
Sydney

Outcomes in order of what is likely (after Sydney in LK's ear for 48 hours):

Both
No-one
Perth
Sydney

In no way can it ever be Sydney's alone due to ladder position

Reply #800334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They wanted Perth to, but as Sydney refused to play game 3 in Perth, then Perth took their flight home. Obviously Sydney were expecting to be up 2-1 after game 3 but they lost HCA twice to had to do the honourable thing and forfeit.

Reply #800335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely neither Sydney or Perth get the championship at this stage. They should just give the championship to Cotton

Reply #800338 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Apparently LK just said on SEN it will be either Perth or no-one

Reply #800340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the Kings lead by example and call the series. It will always have a * beside it.

Reply #800341 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Gaze says give it to Perth (The West Australian online):

Australian basketball icon and former Sydney Kings coach Andrew Gaze has declared the Perth Wildcats deserve to be crowned as this season's NBL champions after the grand final series was cancelled today.

Concerns over the rapidly moving coronavirus crisis prompted Sydney to tell the NBL they were no longer comfortable with the series continuing.

The Wildcats lead the best of five series 2-1 and Gaze said that meant they should be awarded the title.

"It’s a really hard one," Gaze told thewest.com.au

“But to me, because they are winning 2-1, it’s like a game that is stopped with one quarter to play. It’s like when Illawarra’s game against New Zealand was washed out and the team that was leading won.

“It’s sad and unfortunate and there’s always going to be an asterisk and I imagine it would feel like a hollow victory too.

“I know how bitterly disappointed both teams would be. I feel sorry for both of them and as a fan it is gut wrenching.”

The NBL has given itself 24 hours to make a decision. Sydney created history this season by becoming the first team to sit on top of the ladder in every round of the season.

But the Wildcats and Kings played four times during the regular season and then competed in three finals and Perth held a 5-2 advantage.

The Wildcats will hold a press conference this afternoon to address the issue.

If they are named the champions, they will receive their 10th title.

Captain Damian Martin and vice-captain Jesse Wagstaff will win their sixth titles and Trevor Gleeson will become a five-time championship coach.

But Gaze said they’d have mixed emotions.

“They would still have a great feeling of satisfaction that they were 2-1 up and put themselves in a really good position. You can still find joy in it,” he said.

“But that joy is nowhere near the amazing feeling of holding the trophy up in front of a packed crowd.”

Gaze coached Sydney until the end of last season and many of the players who are part of this year’s team were in his squad.

He said Sydney’s players would have believed they could have won the last two games.

“It’s tough for the Sydney Kings players,” he said.

“They would still have believed. They’d have felt they could have won if they’d played and I reckon they’d be gutted.

“I know how bitterly disappointed they would be. It’s a great privilege to play in a grand final. Not everyone get to do it.

“This is what players dream about. It’s supposed to be the greatest time they’ll have in their careers.”

Reply #800342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sydney get the ticket, watch Adelaide file a court order and what the 2016-2017 championship!

Reply #800343 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It will go to Perth. As it should.

Reply #800344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should be Sydney. Highest regular season record. Simple

Reply #800349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, you are simple if you think that.

Reply #800350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither team deserves to win. Neither won or lost this series in its entirety. Just another example of how corona virus has displaced all of society.

Reply #800352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cricket has just awarded the top of the ladder Sydney the championship.
IE. the minor premiership. Sounds fair to me.

Reply #800353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats because their finals were weeks away, and the leader was clear enough in front that they couldn't be topped. So yes, that does make sense.

Awarding Sydney the title considering Perth continually bested them this season makes no sense.

Reply #800354 | Report this post

X ball  
Years ago

By telling NBL you won't be travelling means you are forfeiting your right to the being champion as you won’t compete.

It would have been different if NBL cancelled the game 4 before the kings made the decision not to fly. Then kings can claim somewhat the title as it was them canceling it.

Reply #800355 | Report this post

X ball  
Years ago

By telling NBL you won't be travelling means you are forfeiting your right to the being champion as you won’t compete.

It would have been different if NBL cancelled the game 4 before the kings made the decision not to fly. Then kings can claim somewhat the title as it was them canceling it.

Reply #800356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All Perth haters saying Sydney should win purely based on ladder.
If that rubbish is true it is an insult to be in playoffs not just for Perth but to Cairns Melbourne too.

Reply #800357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL Grand Final has been called off with the Perth Wildcats holding a 2-1 series-lead over the Sydney Kings, and a decision will be made regarding a team being named 2020 Champions within 48 hours.

The call was made by the NBL after the Kings cited concerns regarding the COVID-19 (Coronavirus).

Perth Wildcats CEO Troy Georgiu said it's extremely frustrating.

"Words can’t express how disappointed we are as a club," said Mr Georgiu.

“The League put forward a range of options to complete this series ahead of the scheduled dates. This included reducing the Grand Final to a three-game series, or playing Game Four on Wednesday instead of Friday. Chartered flights were also discussed. It’s our understanding the Kings turned down these options.

“While the club takes seriously the importance of player and community welfare, we believe there was a safe and reasonable way for the 2020 NBL Finals to have reached a resolution.

“I feel terrible for our thousands of loyal and passionate members and fans, and we are sorry that the season has ended on such an abrupt note. Unfortunately, the decision was taken out of our hands.”

The Perth Wildcats consistently followed the advice of the West Australian Minister for Health’s office throughout the process.

Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson said he’s devastated for his team.

“It’s extremely disappointing, but I’m proud of the way we represented the red jersey, our city, and our amazing fans. I’m proud of the way we handled ourselves in a challenging environment and the way we prepared and played,” he said.

“We worked hard for this moment, earned this moment, and to have the opportunity torn away from us is really disappointing.

“We were the best team throughout the Grand Final series.”

The Perth Wildcats hold a 2-1 series-lead after defeating the Sydney Kings twice on the road.

Perth also led the Kings on both points-aggregate and quarters-won throughout the three games.

The Perth Wildcats await the NBL’s decision regarding a potential 2020 Champion announcement.

Reply #800358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

congrats Perth, you've now won 9 and a half grand finals. maybe you'll be given half a ring each..

Reply #800359 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Give it to Perth, they deserve it and Casper is MVP

Reply #800360 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Perth just threw a big F.U at Sydney.
Love it.

Reply #800361 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well played, Troy.

Reply #800362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"congrats Perth, you've now won 9 and a half grand finals. maybe you'll be given half a ring each.."

Its not Perth's fault Sydney were mucking around behind the scenes.

Reply #800363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldn't have been played in the first place

Reply #800365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hand it to Sydney. They would've won

Reply #800366 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

If getting wins in front of no fans means they don't count then a few clubs shouldn't have gotten a W when they played Wollongong or Phoenix.

It's a best of 5, not best of 3. It doesn't matter what happened in the first three because if the series isn't completed then the true result has not been allowed to take effect.

Or maybe GSW should have been awarded the championship when up 3-1 against the Cavs. They were by far the better team up to that point.

Reply #800368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Or maybe GSW should have been awarded the championship when up 3-1 against the Cavs. They were by far the better team up to that point."

Congratulations. That is the worst analogy imaginable for this discussion.

Reply #800369 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If you are not going to award a 2-1 lead, how about applying something like cricket's Duckworth-Lewis system: basing it on historical data? What's the historical likelihood of each team winning when 2-1 up/down? A couple simple measures might include:

Best of 5 GF series that were 2-1 up (* indicates team with higher ladder position in regular season):

2004 West Sydney lost (vs Sydney*) in 5
2007 Brisbane* won (vs Melbourne) in 4
2008 Melbourne won (vs Sydney*) in 5
2009 Dragons* won (vs Melbourne) in 5
2018 United* won (vs Adelaide) in 5

So 50% have gone onto win when the lower seed has a 2-1 lead, but 80% overall for any team 2-1 up. Perth sneak through on this measure.

If one were to select the best predictor for the championship, it probably would be the winner of game 1. Winner of game 1 has won 21 of the last 22 championships. Perth take out the championship more convincingly on this measure.

Surely the best measure to use remains the leader of the series at the time it was suspended. Perth should be the 2020 NBL Champions.

Reply #800370 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

They should hand out 2 trophies. One for being top of the league and one for being leaders of the final series at the time it was called off.

Should have 2 trophies anyway...

Reply #800371 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Why reward Sydney for being scared of the flu, this virus isn't snatching people from the prime of their lives!
If your healthy and under 50 you’re not going to have any issues especially in a country with modern health care.
Sorry I just realised a large portion of Sydney’s squad is old and prone to injury so my apologies for being insensitive.......

Reply #800372 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Sydney were offered a myriad of options to achieve a full outcome.

They turned them all down.

All this is as much their fault as it is the Virus.

The League was trying to make the best of a bad situation and even gave them special concessions like taking away the Perth Crowd.

The Kings are really a piece of work.

Reply #800373 | Report this post

Ray  
Years ago

If Melbourne had beaten Sydney in there semi and Perth and Melbourne were where we are now would we still hand sydney the title because of ladder position

Reply #800374 | Report this post

PW10  
Years ago

Wildcats have to be awarded the Championship.

Reply #800375 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wildcats Presser (taken from Wildcats twitter)

Trevor Gleeson and Perth Wildcats CEO Troy Georgiu will front the media shortly. Stay tuned for live tweets.

"I was so proud of our players and how we represented the red jersey and the organisation this season" - Trevor Gleeson

“We'll do everything in our control to make sure the guys are safe and in a healthy environment” - Trevor Gleeson

“We haven’t had a chance to get together yet, it happened so quickly, but the players I’ve heard from are devastated” - Trevor Gleeson

“Not only do I think we should be awarded the Championship, I think Bryce Cotton should be awarded the Grand Final MVP” - Trevor Gleeson

“We were ready to play Game Four here and Game Five if needed. Sydney took ownership of the decision in their press conference today” - Trevor Gleeson

“The League contacted both clubs yesterday to see if we wanted to continue and we said we definitely were keen to go ahead” - Troy Georgiu

“We would have happily considered chartered flights, we were 100% committed to finish the series off” - Troy Georgiu

“The League originally discussed changing it to a three game series but Sydney declined” - Troy Georgiu

“Working hard for 9 months, the body of work that we’ve done, I’m just really disappointed for the players and the coaching staff” - Trevor Gleeson

“We tried to meet the NBL with everything they asked but it takes two to tango” - Trevor Gleeson

“I’m just so proud of how we put everything aside and got on with it, that’s what a Championship team does and I just hope the scoreboard shows the winner” - Trevor Gleeson

“We took every precaution and measure we were advised to and made sure hygiene was at a high standard, and in doing so thought we would be able to continue” - Troy Georgiu

End of press conference. Full video will be available on the website later today.

Reply #800379 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Watching the Kings Presser, they are so fake.

Hiding behind community safety, please, you could still have done it safely.

I only wished the reporters had asked them why they didn't go with the option of a 3 games series. This options would have been available at the end of Game 2 when they were going back to Sydney.

Cairns you are no longer the team I despise the most.

Reply #800380 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why reward Sydney for being scared of the flu, this virus isn't snatching people from the prime of their lives!
Those people then infect other people, you dolt.

Reply #800381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It might have been Sydneys decision, but Perth truly trying to hang it on them in the above comments is pretty below the belt.
Things have been moving extremely quickly with significant changes every 24 hrs in what you might describe as a rapidly degrading situation.
Ultimately, this probably comes down to several guys not wanting to spend a number of days away from their families right at this moment in time. I'm not sure how that is not completely understandable.

There's no universe where the Kings can be crowned champions.
You can call it for Perth.
You can have it officially kind of split in the history books - Premiers: Sydney, Finals Champions; Perth. But that's just trying to make it neat in the books (or wikipedia I guess these days), and is wholly messy and meaningless in reality.
Or you can just call it a no-winner season.

I'm from Sydney and a Kings fan, and I think you have to just hand it to Perth. I don't think there's any shame in that, and I don't think there should really be any sense of 'loss' in doing so, just as I think any Wildcat fan would acknowledge that it obviously doesn't feel like a complete 'win' either. It's just the most accurate way of tying the bow on it.

The whole thing is just really disappointing. For both teams and for the league and for many of the individual players. Could have been up to five games in front of huge crowds. Could have been a crowning achievement on an amazing season for Sydney. Andrew Bogut finishing his incredible career with an NBL championship could have been a really great moment, no matter how you feel about him or the Kings or whatever. Brad Newley finally winning one. A lot of the Wildcats team will be around next year, but a lot of key players on this Kings team won't be - that's a real shame. Or the Wildcats could have taken a knife to the throat of all of that on their way to their 10th championship. In the end, really, it's a disappointingly and unsatisfyingly unfinished story, regardless of how the NBL decides to quickly tie it up.

And Kings and Wildcats fans will now *FOREVER* be arguing about who would have won a five game series. You understand that, right? All non Sydney and Perth NBL fans, I'm sorry, but this is going to annoy you for the next twenty years: Casper Ware was just about to find his form. Sydney were having a really rocky playoffs but they were always punching back when it was really needed and they would have won Game 4 in Perth. 18,000 Kings fans were about to turn up for Game 5. Bogut was going to leave it all out there. It would have been Sydney in 5.

Reply #800386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney fans are salty.
Perth would have won in 4.

Reply #800388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said #386

Reply #800389 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sydney were having a really rocky playoffs but they were always punching back when it was really needed and they would have won Game 4 in Perth.
This is probably fair, as is suggesting Perth always managed to counter and Sydney would struggle in the second half of a two-game weekend. Wildcats in five seemed likely: the series had to this point been a pretty clear story of the loser of the prior game finding and making the correct adjustment.

Reply #800390 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No player or support staff has tested positive Koberulz
You have to actually have the virus to spread it :facepalm:

Reply #800391 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good to see the people who were too slow to realise how bad Paul Smith and this iteration of the Kings franchise's culture was during the season are finally waking up to it.

Reply #800392 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bogut was going to leave it all out there. It would have been Sydney in 5.

Do you have tonight's Oz Lotto numbers as well?

Reply #800393 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It might have been Sydneys decision, but Perth truly trying to hang it on them in the above comments is pretty below the belt.

Sydney have been playing games behind the scenes for over a week now trying to manipulate this thing to their advantage, right up until today. Which is why I posted "Well played, Troy" above - because it's only right that the Cats get to restore some balance to the narrative that Sydney have tried to maintain.
Or as Andrew Gaze would say: turn it up

Reply #800394 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Apparently LK just said on SEN it will be either Perth or no-one

Common sense prevails - either award it to the team up 2-1 or void it. Big LOL @ all of this joint winner BS.

Reply #800395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld you're on fire today. In a good way, you do have a previous history of being a moron though.

Reply #800396 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Trev & Troy press conference

Reply #800398 | Report this post

Just  
Years ago

Sydney refused to make it a best of 3 series.

Sydney then refused to play any more games after game 3.

Of course it should go to Perth.

Reply #800399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth won game 1 on the road despite a raucous home crowd cheering Sydney on.

Lost at home when Sydney would of fancied themselves playing without the Red Army there to support them in unique circumstances.

Won again on the road emphatically.

They clearly deserve the title, give it to them and stop dragging it out.

Reply #800400 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hahaha so that's your beef with me, Lovey. You hate Cairns, hence the childish insults.

Jolly good

Reply #800401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was really stupid to not make game 3 a winner-takes-all game. Embarrassing really.
And don't talk about it being easy in hindsight. The writing was on the wall on Saturday night, so a decision should have been made then.
And I can’t understand the financial benefits of pushing on with games 4 and 5 behind closed doors anyway, so the decision should have been easy to take!!!

Reply #800403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No player or support staff has tested positive Koberulz
You have to actually have the virus to spread it :facepalm:"

You can have the virus and not show any symptoms, which means you are likely to spread it. You also can't get tested unless you are showing symptoms, which means its likely you can have the virus without knowing. Does this really need to be explained to you without hitting yourself in the face?

Reply #800404 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

3 game series was already being mentioned on this board before game 2. Was already being put to the clubs as well. The Kings refused, as anyone would if they were down 0-1 at the time and not yet atop a high horse. But once the Kings won and the series was 1-1, it would have been even easier to call game 3 as winner takes all.

Reply #800405 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

but Perth truly trying to hang it on them in the above comments is pretty below the belt.

You completely missed the point well done on the comprehension.

The league offered several safe and reasonable options to reach a full conclusion to this season. Sydney refused, and now they play the safety for the community card.

You can have it officially kind of split in the history books - Premiers: Sydney, Finals Champions;

Yes no problem, hopefully people remember Sydney's regular season like the Warriors 15/16 season is remembered, a good achievement but couldn't get it done in the post season.

And Kings and Wildcats fans will now *FOREVER* be arguing about who would have won a five game series. You understand that, right?

Yes absolutely I look forward to Kings fans telling the rest of us how their defensive schemes were working on Cotton and Kay.

Casper Ware was just about to find his form.

Yes a guy that shoots 1 from 20 (worse than Damian Martin), hits side of the backboard on an open shot was going to go 19 of 20 threes in the next 2 games.

It would have been Sydney in 5.

And I would have liked to see it happen, but the Kings refused each attempt at that result.

Reply #800407 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

A lot of people acting like Sydney are trying to manipulate the situation to their advantage, when it's the opposite.

They made a conviction call knowing the seriousness of the situation, and knowing it meant they couldn't win the championship.

Not sure why they're not getting credit for that.

Ps: Sydney never said no to it not being a 3 game series. I imagine they would've taken that offer but Perth would've said no. They said no to it being brought forward.

Reply #800408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greggo, they tried to manipulate the situations to their advantage during the series, then when they realised they had painted themselves into a corner, they pulled the pin today. That isn't really something to commend, especially not when they seem to pick and choose when player safety is their priority.

Reply #800412 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Didn't you watch the video Greggo?

Sydney refused to make it a best of 3 series. Sydney refuse to continue after game 3. I bet any money if Sydney was up 2-1 they would play on.

Sydney are a joke.

Reply #800414 | Report this post

GM  
Years ago

Didn't Loelinger just say on Overtime that Sydney declined it being a 3 game series. with Perth choosing not to press more firmly with that option?

Reply #800415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame on Sydney.
I'm a Perth fan and I won't enjoy this championship ( if deemed to be in Perth's favour) but will be happy to see Sydney deemed the loser

#anyonebutsydney.

Reply #800416 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This smells of Sydney not being confident of winning the championship. Had they won Game 3, there's no doubt they would still be travelling to Perth!
This type of form by Sydney is worse then Casper Ware’s shooting!

Reply #800417 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This smells of Sydney not being confident of winning the championship. Had they won Game 3, there's no doubt they would still be travelling to Perth!
This type of form by Sydney is worse then Casper Ware’s shooting!

Reply #800418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't they foresee this and both travel to a neutral venue, let's say Adelaide for the final 2 games if Sydney took it that far. Sydney as minor premiers had the advantage of playing at home twice and Perth once. Charter a plane for both, isolate them in a hotel and find any decent venue, there's plenty sitting around doing nothing. It's a short flight, both teams don't gain an advantage, Adelaide has a low virus count. No cheer leaders or courtside announcers, even make it just players and coaching staff, no family or friends since it's such a safety concern. Play it Wednesday and if needed game 5 at primetime on Saturday. Sports starved fans will probably give SBS some of its highest ratings. Could even get Ball and Hampton to market to America and get a huge international audience even though timing would be off, but better than ESPN reruns of past NBA games. After game teams can have a short flight home.
Seems fair and this whole thing can be laid to rest, if a team refuses they forfeit and title is decided instead of this absolute farce. Ruined a great season that was putting the NBL on the map not just locally but globally.

Reply #800419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are a final specialists. They pace themselves in the regular season but turn it up in the finals. This is who they have been for the last 8 odd years. They are just better then sydney

Reply #800422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide's set up has been dismantled for a month. That would cost a fortune and would have been ridiculous

Reply #800424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney are smart.. don't feel like losers if you don't show up to lose.. A thinking team.

Reply #800425 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Again I'll say it. It's not a Sydney masterplan...

They made the very very tough decision to pull out of competing for a championship, putting the safety of their players first, and knowing it meant they can't win....

Reply #800426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not talking about hosting it at AEC genius, have it at Arena,wayville, Pasadena, Starplex, even a decent school gym. Don't need a massive scoreboard to show scores or fouls. Surely the first couple can handle official revues, if not games have been played for decades without them. End of the day it's a basketball game minus all the hoopla to decide the champion. Better than going, ummm, we don't know.

Reply #800427 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I was completely OK with conceding the trophy 2-1 when I heard the news early today, but with the way Perth fans are carrying on here and across social media in general I've now swung towards hoping the NBL declares no winner. Doubt it though, unfortunately.

Reply #800428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching both the Kings & Wildcats press conferences, the following points seem clear.

There were discussions to shorten or reschedule the series, Wildcats were open to it but the Kings weren't.

The decision to cancel further games appears to have come from concerns from the Kings players and coaches. Given the rapidly changing situation internationally, these concerns are perfectly valid. I wouldn’t want to be on the opposite side of the planet from my loved ones and possibly be prevented from returning home. Worst case scenario, never being with a loved one again due to illness or border lockdowns. (Insert 4 import comments here!)

The decision to cancel is the right one. There are good arguments for both a Wildcats win or no result. Regardless of what happens, there are no real winners here. Call it #10, attach the asterisk and move on. In the end, it’s only a game.

Reply #800429 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I'm not sure if the Sydney fanboys are really that stupid and deluded?
Or just trolling?

Until a couple of years ago, (and apart from a few seasons way back) the Grand Final has always been best of 3.
Perth have won the series. To suggest otherwise requires an extreme level of cognitive impairment.
The "fairness" of curtailing the series mid series is questionable, but its not as if this wasn't on the cards.

Suggestions that this is equivalent to a 3 quarter result are absurd.
There is a huge difference in the implications behind not having to run out a full 40 minutes, and calling a series having played three full games.
But it does lead to a relevant point. If a game is called after 3 quarters, the team in front is declared the winner. End of story.

Reply #800430 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

way off topic - as usual

So glad that no player is reports as having the virus ..yet
so glad that no player , staff or referee is sick or dead,....yet.
So glad that no player has infected anyone in their family ... yet

So very very glad that the yet wont depend upon sydney,perth players, or staff, or referees not getting infected from travel for games 3,4 or 5 of the finals series.

Reply #800431 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As for Sydney, it's easy to understand why people think they are behaving like a bunch of dickheads:
1. It was Sydney who refused, with only hours notice, to play in front of the Perth crowd. The govt ban was not yet in effect. That is a fact, google it. And why? Did they think the fans in the courtside boxes were going to projectile snot all over the court?
2. Sydney was offered various options to either shorten the series, modify the schedule, or lessen commercial travel through Sydney airport. Sydney refused.
3. Now, Sydney knew they have lost. They needed to win BOTH remaining games, a basically impossible task, especially with the condition of Lisch and Bogut. They knew that even if they managed to get up again for game 4, the 2 day turnaround to game 5 would kill them again. So they pulled the pin, and tried to make themselves out to be the heroes.
4. Not announcing Perth as the winner is highly suspicious. That's on the NBL, but yo can understand why people are querying Sydney's input.

Reply #800433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe how many people are carrying on as if any of this really matters given what is happening in the world right now.

Reply #800434 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Exactly what is happening in the world right now apart from what is being over-sensationalized by the western media everywhere you look. All medical experts and epidemiologists are saying the reason for the current panic everywhere is not being caused by what COVID-19 is doing, but how it is being recklessly reported by uneducated and misinformed journalists and 'guest panelists'.

Reply #800435 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"All medical experts and epidemiologists are saying the reason for the current panic everywhere is not being caused by what COVID-19 is doing, but how it is being recklessly reported by uneducated and misinformed journalists and 'guest panelists'."

Bzzt. Absolute bullshit.

Reply #800436 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

They made the very very tough decision to pull out of competing for a championship, putting the safety of their players first, and knowing it meant they can't win....

You keep missing the point.

They felt bad for pulling out of a series they have at least 2 other options to safely complete.

You make it sound they are altruistic.

Reply #800437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus blindly accepts whatever his owner says but can't stand anyone letting Smithy know that's he's wrong.

Reply #800438 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I can't believe how many people are carrying on as if any of this really matters given what is happening in the world right now.

The last time I checked we were in a baskbetball forum focusing on the NBL, and we are discussing the NBL finals.

Please feel free to visit another forum if world health, world peace and world hunger is more in the forefront of your mind.

Reply #800441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I was completely OK with conceding the trophy 2-1 when I heard the news early today, but with the way Perth fans are carrying on here and across social media in general I've now swung towards hoping the NBL declares no winner. Doubt it though, unfortunately."
Yep agreed. The Perth fans wanted the home win at all costs. Despite the issues of not being able to gloat and not attend any celebration. Win at all costs. No wonder Perth are hated so much.

Reply #800442 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I'm tipping Melbourne United to be named the champion. LK and VC to find a way.

Reply #800444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep agreed. The Perth fans wanted the home win at all costs.

What home win?

Reply #800445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VOLENT CRUMBLE STRIKES AGAIN

Reply #800446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep agreed. The Perth fans wanted the home win at all costs.

If you mean game 4, Perth wanted to bring it forward to get the series done quicker. Or they offered to play game 3 at home last Sunday, meaning games 4 and 5 would be in Sydney. So don't know what you mean by all costs.

Reply #800447 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Kings4Life but this doesn't make sense. Kings can fly a chartered flight team only, then play in a game with no crowd. Virtually nil risk compared to the rest of us Sydney still packed like sardines into trains to get to work. Doctors and nurses still going to work, children have more risk going to school, and NRL and AFL still playing. Explanation is as elusive as the toilet paper or Casper Ware, and looks weak. Well done Perth Wildcats - champions again.

Reply #800448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I was completely OK with conceding the trophy 2-1 when I heard the news early today, but with the way Perth fans are carrying on here and across social media in general I've now swung towards hoping the NBL declares no winner."

Only reason Perth fans (and a fair new neutrals) are carrying on is there is this 48hours for a decisions is hinting that Sydney could be crowned champs or no one at all. A lot of people arent happy with how Sydney and the NBL have gone about this and rightfully a lot of people are pretty pissed off and making a case for Perth.

If the league came straight out and gave it to Perth i think it would be wayyy more lowkey.

Reply #800451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm certain there are kings players that wanted to play, it’s unfair to crap on everyone when no one really knows what went down.

Reply #800453 | Report this post

Big ABS  
Years ago

#AnyoneButSydney

Reply #800454 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Tim Morrissey tweets earlier:

In a meeting last Friday before Game 2 with @NBL @SydneyKings and @PerthWildcats it was agreed if the #NBLFinals couldn't be completed there would be no series winner. Now @NBL saying outcome of series decided in next 48 hours.

Changes the narrative somewhat, no?

Reply #800455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree I reckon most Sydney players wanted to keep playing. Except Bogut who knew he was done and Weaver who knew Bogut done = kings done. Also anyone who cares about Ware would have wanted the series to end.

Reply #800456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you listen to Paul Smith during the press conference he basically tells you that it was the American players on the Kings he largely drove the decision. They were very concerned about not being able to return to the US if it goes into further lock down.

Reply #800457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In a meeting last Friday before Game 2 with @NBL @SydneyKings and @PerthWildcats it was agreed if the #NBLFinals couldn't be completed there would be no series winner. Now @NBL saying outcome of series decided in next 48 hours."

Series can/could have been safely completed, but Sydney's bailing and not cooperating on compromises that could reach an outcome (making it 3 games, charter flights, changing dates). If a player caught the virus, or the country is in lockdown then that is a scenario where the series can't be completed. Sydney bailing is not a reason.

The series is safe to continue, but Sydney is pulling out. I guarantee if Sydney was up 2-1 they would be on a plane to Perth right now.

Other sports are going ahead, the measures in place were safe for all players, hell Perth is currently a safer place for the kings players to be right now than Sydney.

Reply #800458 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Even if 1 american player wanted to go home "assuming that would be Tate or Ware?" then Sydney would still roll the dice on playing without them and getting the W in Perth.

It had to be bigger than that, or an actual decision on player safety.

I don't buy "they think they were gonna lose so they quit".

No sports team would think like that internally.

Reply #800459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings have 4 imports, they can afford to lose one

Reply #800460 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Dave Q absolutely. In light of Morrissey's intel in combination with what LK stated on SEN radio earlier today the 48 hours now reads as further time bought by the league to explore the legalities of awarding a walk over win to Perth as Kings have breached their participation agreement?

Reply #800462 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

SEN1116 interview with LK:

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=596623

TL;DR listen to LK from 1:46.

There are only two outcomes - Perth champions or void season.

Reply #800463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL did not pull the pin on the series though, so Morrissey's intel means squat. The team who are down 2-1 quit. They are the ones who did not want to go on. The other team did. The league did. They did not.

If Sydney were as honorable as they want to appear, and it truly was about the welfare of their players, then they would have made their announcement this afternoon and at the same time conceded that Perth won the series, being 2-1 up at the time. If we were tied at 1-1 or tied at 2-2 and it was a league decision -or- a unanimous decision amongst both teams, then there should be play in what happens in terms of crowning a champion or no champion, but that was not the case. Perth are the champions.

Those banking on Sydney potentially being named champion because they finished on top should also be looking to abolish playoffs all together, because that is where the big chip is won and lost. Head to head, Perth win. Series, Perth wins. Even from a fairness level, Sydney played a game with crowd influence, Perth did not. Everything points to Perth. Congratulations Wildcats.

Reply #800465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the two imports wanted out its very disappointing, I wish they would've played on without them. Some players I believe are totally pissed off.

Reply #800466 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Morrissey's tweet is a valuable piece of information as it shows Sydney have essentially forfeited. We're actually on the same page about this point #465.

The posters on here earlier coming up with weird and wacky ways for Kings to be awarded the title were mostly anti-'Cats trolls grasping at straws. Ignore them.

The two possible results stated by LK guarantee at minimum that #AnyoneButSydney wins.

Reply #800467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#800465 you make too much sense.
I'm not sure how to deal with you right now

#Perth2020.

Reply #800468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sports teams shouldn't think like that but who knows what Paul Smith’s ego is capable of. Not the first time this year he has used an outside issue to distract from a loss.

Reply #800469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney can't be awarded the title. It can't even be a mini thought. BUT I don't think Perth should have it either. Neither team won, and the reality is, its due to a pandemic.

Lost season. But one that will be spoken about for years to come. The NBL had no balls, 'offering' teams options, instead of stating the news rules, shows LK's boys have no guts.

Reply #800470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kings media conference was excellent, they are hurting, Paul Smith spoken open and honestly, they had an independent doctor advising them, the players and coaches. Organised to get there imports, didi and German coach back to their countries urgently. Believe me kings are an annoying group but probably got the decision right here.
I'm hoping that no winners are declared.

Reply #800472 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

one team more concerned with players safety and the other team were concerned with who gets the shiny new trophy. Give the trophy to Perth. They're the only ones that care. Yo Trevor, shave. Homeless look is not working for you.

Reply #800473 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Paul Smith's ego is capable of anything. He's pulling out all the stops now as he'd rather save face than be recorded down as a loser after going on a massive rule-bending cash burn. Wildcats also have players from overseas.

Reply #800474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Pongrass is your classic "suit" who just says a bunch of stuff that sounds good on the surface but doesn't have much substance.

Interesting the last question I think Olgun asks them if there was any league pressure to play and when Smith goes to answer "not in this context" you can hear Pongress saying "no, no..." he had to get the politically correct answer in.

Reply #800476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't wait to read matt mcquade story on this decision by the kings.

Hopefully, he name the players that wanted to keep playings and those
who didn't.

Reply #800486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone in here actually advocating for the Kings to be awarded the champions?
No. No one. Several Kings fans in here saying it should be Perth.

Has the NBL suggested that the Kings are in consideration? No. It's either Perth or no-one.

Calm down.

And there's no point looking back at different decisions (or 'votes') at different points in time.

We all know that everything has been changing extremely rapidly. On the day of Game 2, you're within 12 hours of the NBA suddenly suspending it's season, and a bunch of other global pro-sports leagues and events following suit, including the F1 being cancelled just that morning. The Kings decide they don't want the crowd. Okay, perhaps a bit of a panic. Or perhaps a bit of a publicity concern - it might look to be a bit in poor form to go ahead as normal given the immediate events taking place around that decision. The Kings are probably a bit more finely attuned to that sort of thing as they exist in a national media base. The Wildcats, bless them, just exist in their regional bubble. if you want to believe that they actually took advantage of the situation because of their fear of that bogan crowd, I don't really know what to say. Remember - pulling the plug on the Perth crowd was also pulling the plug on the larger Sunday Sydney crowd, at immense expense to the Kings. It's nonsensical to think it was anything other than caution, even if over-cautious.

Things do then seem to calm just a little. The AFL and NRL say they're going to play on. The PM says he's going to go watch. Okay, so yeah maybe we don't need to stay in Perth, let's fly to Sydney and go ahead with Game 3. Maybe - maybe - we'll squeek this whole thing out.

Game 3 is played, but the situation globally degrades again. More travel bans. Airlines cutting 90% of flights. Forced two week quarantines upon arrival. Infection rates are rocketing everywhere. The governments that had been slow to respond, or too casual in their tone, are suddenly getting real serious real quick. In nations that we are being told are just a couple of weeks ahead of us, the sports and events are long gone, and now they're onto shops closed, restaurants closed, schools closed, movement restricted, streets empty, and over 70s sent into full isolation.

The Kings are asked if they want to get back on a plane - charter or not - and go back to Perth to play another game, date accelerated or not. Some players say no, they'd prefer not to, even though they know it means they're handing the championship to Perth.

It's far more likely that it's all that simple than it is that the Kings have been trying to play an extremely fast moving global crisis to their advantage at every step of the way. To show how delusional this belief is, see how many above are saying that if the Kings were 2-1 up, they'd have been *more likely* to want to play on than cut the series short. So they are *more likely* to cut the series short when they are 2-1 down, than they are to cut it short when they are 2-1 up? If you believe that, than you can't possibly believe that every step has been about them manipulating things to their favour.

Reply #800487 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Not that hard.

If a team refuses to play it's called a forfeit.

Perth wins 3-1.

Reply #800490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" The Kings are probably a bit more finely attuned to that sort of thing as they exist in a national media base. The Wildcats, bless them, just exist in their regional bubble."

Rubbish.

Reply #800493 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

So the Kings owner comes and says below

(Why are athletes different from any employee?" Smith asked.

"Why are they being held to a higher standard here? I don't understand it. It’s gotta stop... sport has to wake up. It’s time. It’s not just basketball. Everyone has to stop and realise what we’re doing here. We’re talking about people. Why should our athletes — any athlete in any sport — be held to a higher standard than any other employee, any other professional, in any sport, or any business.)

Funny the majority of the rest of us are still going to work, some are still catching public transport, people are still frequenting shopping centers, but these princesses are concerned about getting on a chartered flight, playing in an empty stadium, spare me the BS.

What higher standard are they being held to than the rest of the community ?

The players asking the below questions are baffling, no one is asking them to attend any mass gatherings, they have been offered chartered flights and empty stadiums, What higher standard are they being held to than the rest of the community ?

(One of our players asked him a question. He said, 'would you go to a medical conference next week in Perth?’. (the adviser) said all conferences are cancelled: ‘no I wouldn’t’.

“He said, ‘would you go to a wedding an hour away?’. (the adviser) said, ‘no, I wouldn’t’)

If anything they would be getting treated way more carefully than the rest of the community.

Reply #800495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it should be awarded to the Wildcats, if for no other reason than to stop their team and fans from continuing to so greatly embarrass themselves.

I'd think it's almost a certainty that the NBL will award it to the Wildcats, and that they would never for even a second have considered awarding it to the Kings (because that would be ridiculous and absolutely everyone can see that). In turn, we all know special sports awards are super important, especially for a city like Perth, but given the realities of how this is most likely going to be awarded, the Wildcats could have easily shown a bit of maturity and class in their statements and releases after the cancelation announcement, and just been calm instead of all agitated, and just waited patiently for their special trophy to be delivered.

Reply #800496 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think this is why Perth has reacted the way they have in their press conference. I think Perth sees this as a way to de-legitimize the title they almost-certainly would have got.

You've got the AFL looking to play their games to no-crowds and no one is getting all too worked up about the charted planes. And any risk these players had of catching the virus over the next week was minimal, and possibly even lower than the general population. Now that they're out in general population more often they're probably more likely to get it. There was no outbreak in the NBL and no teammates already affected. I don't see why that would have changed within the week.

People will be going to work. Unless they're already sick, basically everyone will be working as per usual. NBL players weren't being held to unfair standards and I found his rant on the matter to be a bit laughable and disingenuous. If he wanted to compare his lot to that of the general public, I am not sure what average 9-5 job would have anywhere near the same protections as they were being provided, and it's clear to me the Perth Wildcats felt the same.

It is BECAUSE athletes are given special treatment in society that they were able to forgo the business of their work for health in such a demonstrative manner.

Meanwhile I have to commute by bus to work a retail job in close quarters with customers who may or may not sneeze directly in my face... no charted plane or carefully curated crowds here.

Reply #800497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings wanted a few players tested and were told it could not be done, no test kits available.

Reply #800498 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LK has already come out and said in public that it's either a Wildcats title or there is no champion this season.

Even if it's the latter, I still think they should give Cotton the GF MVP award. He was epic and completely deserves it, and there's no conflict in giving him the award without having a champion team since there is precedent for a non-champion being GF MVP (eg. 1993 when Ricky Grace won it despite the Tigers winning the series)
Cotton deserves recognition in the history books for how good he was. There's no asterisk about what he just did.

Reply #800501 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

"I still think they should give Cotton the GF MVP award"

Agreed. He was mighty in all 3 games.

Reply #800502 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Its simple. If a team forfeits their right to compete that automatically gives the opposition the win. Thats in any sport. And it doesn't even mater which team is ahead at the time.

Its been one of the best seasons possibly ever in the NBL. It would be a pity if it was an N/A in the history books

Reply #800504 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Perth is crowned the winner, it'll always have a huge asterisk next to it.

NBL fans across Australia won’t accept it, and Perth fans won’t properly celebrate it.

I can’t blame Sydney’s players if they took this stance (imports especially, but any of them).

Plenty of people are taking their kids out of school. 20 private schools in Melbourne have already shut. The classrooms that remain open are half empty.

I drove to work this morning, and I can tell you the traffic is mimimal in Melbourne- people are working from home.

People aren’t travelling for any reason- I know someone who is at senior level in a Sydney law firm, who cancelled a trip to Melbourne for a wedding on his workplace’s instructions.

In the current environment, you can’t blame Sydney’s players if they didn’t want to fly across the country and play sport. It’s a tough situation but it is what it is.

Reply #800505 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Kings wanted a few players tested and were told it could not be done, no test kits available."

There is a criteria to be tested, if you don't fit it they are not going to waste a test kit on you because you are a professional athlete when there are people who are sick.

AFL, NRL, A-League all going ahead at this stage, Kings are the only sporting club in WA refusing to play. This ain't a cupcake league, but there's a team full of cupcakes.

Reply #800507 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And of course, the alleged concerns of Casper, Tate, Didi about getting home are totally understandable.

Reply #800508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think it should be awarded to the Wildcats, if for no other reason than to stop their team and fans from continuing to so greatly embarrass themselves."

The team's statement was actually spot on. They were calling out the Kings for them picking and choosing when they took player safety seriously. The Kings were presented with options to continue the series and keep players safe, but they chose to keep their on-court advantages in place. As that backfired on them, they then decided to get on the front foot and pretend safety was always their concern.

The Cats have every right to be pissed off that the Kings are trying to look like the good guys here.

Reply #800509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like West Coast being up 62 points over Collingwood at three quarter time of the AFL Grand Final and then Collingwood deciding they do not want to play the fourth quarter. Everyone but West Coast (and some like me who do not support either West Coast or Collingwood, my team bowed out already) suddenly are saying the game was not finished so you cannot award the premiership to the Eagles. Collingwood had options, but they chose to quit. They made that call, not higher ups. It was not out of their hands. They prevented West Coast from being able to play that fourth quarter and complete their premiership.

Reply #800511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it is deemed a Perth win or a no contest doesn't really matter.
Sydney lost.

Think back to Illawarra v NZ roof leak match...

Reply #800513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coronavirus trophies shaped like toilet paper for both teams.

Reply #800515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand why the Wildcats refused to test any of their players when it was confirmed they were on the same flight as an infected person. Simply saying that they were seated far enough away from said person is not good enough.

Reply #800516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't qualify for testing. I don't think the Wildcats have test kits they can just use willy nilly

Reply #800517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too many people are turned away for testing as it is.
There is a criteria that has to be met for testing.

Reply #800518 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[It's like West Coast being up 62 points over Collingwood at three quarter time of the AFL Grand Final and then Collingwood deciding they do not want to play the fourth quarter.]

That's a ridiculous comment- no team has ever won from 62 down at 3 quarter time

The series was 2-1 with no significant home court advantage, and Perth leading Sydney by 3 points on the +/-.

Anything could've happened.

Plenty of NBA teams have won from 3-1 down, let alone 2-1 down.

Reply #800520 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"I don't understand why the Wildcats refused to test any of their players when it was confirmed they were on the same flight as an infected person. Simply saying that they were seated far enough away from said person is not good enough."

It wasn't their decision to make, they were told they were in a different section to the infected person so it was not required. If any player started to show symptoms later on that fell in line with the testing prerequisite then they would be tested.

Reply #800521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of NBA teams have won from 3-1 down,

It's happened 11 times.

Reply #800522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't understand"

You sure don't.

Reply #800523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The series was 2-1 with no significant home court advantage, and Perth leading Sydney by 3 points on the +/-.

Anything could've happened."

You're missing the point. Anything could have happened but that is all moot now that Sydney forfeited.

Reply #800524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings have 4 international players and 2 international coaches - that's a very high % of the team unit, it’s not the same as AFL/NRL. Most of them are also from the US, which is soaring upwards in infections, with travel and social restrictions getting heavier and heavier in line with that. Plus, fuck knows with Trump at the helm. The Kings absolutely did the right thing, at the right time.

Reply #800525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA premier just confirmed no domestic interstate travel ban for WA.

Says sport during times of crisis are great for morale, and as long as it's within government advice, it can go ahead, but up to individual leagues.

NBL Game 4 had no reason to not be played. Sydney tried to take the moral high ground.

Reply #800526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a team forfeits does the other team win?
Asking for a friend.

Reply #800527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moral high ground is something the federal government could use a few lessons on. It's a very tricky situation, I’m hopeful of a no result, yes give Cotton the mvp for an incomplete series, but even though the cats never pulled the pin I certainly can see kings point of view.

Reply #800528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's forget the Perthword non news.

Here is the interview from the Daily Telegraph.

" The Sydney Kings are ­devastated after the NBL seemingly backflipped on a promise to award no winner if coronavirus interrupted the league's five-match finals series.

The Kings on Tuesday made the tough call to withdraw from the series against the Perth Wildcats, which Perth led 2-1, due to the rising threat of the coronavirus.

Adding salt to the wound, club officials maintain that both the NBL and Wildcats agreed that if the coronavirus interrupted the series, neither team would be crowned the winner.
But now the NBL appears to have gone back on this ­alleged promise and may announce a championship winner within 48 hours.

Australian basketball legend Andrew Gaze said it would be morally wrong for the NBL to award a winner if all parties came to such an agreement.

"If they had a gentlemen’s agreement between both teams, that we won’t declare a winner if we can’t finish the series, then there shouldn’t be a winner," Gaze said.

The remaining games of the NBL Grand Final Series have been cancelled, with a decision on the outcome of the championship to be determined in the next 48 hours.
“If all three parties were there and all three parties agree to it.

“It would be wrong for the NBL to backtrack on something they agreed to. I don’t believe they would do that ... that just doesn’t make any sense to me.”

While Gaze understands why the NBL may be inclined to award the series to leaders Perth, given the circumstances, he said he wouldn’t crown either side.
“I would say let’s just put a line through it, look at all the good things that happened through the regular season and declare Sydney Kings and Perth Wildcats dual champions.”

Andrew Gaze said the Sydney Kings and Perth Wildcats should be declared dual champions after the grand final series was cancelled. The NBL is denying there was any agreement between all three parties that no series winner would be declared if the finals could not be completed.

However, sources at the Kings are adamant this was verbally raised and agreed to after a series of meetings last Thursday and Friday in the lead-up to game two.

“We agree to disagree (with the NBL) on this,” a Kings spokesperson said. “And the decision taken today was more ­important than a game of basketball.”

The NBL also offered to speed up the series by rescheduling games four and five (if necessary). However, the Kings declined after only being informed of this option 20 minutes before last Sunday’s tip-off to game three. In an emotional media conference on Tuesday, Kings chairman Paul Smith said the players had concerns over continuing the championship series during the global uncertainty and effects around COVID-19.

“I sat in a room today with men, grown men who are professional athletes, and I saw a rawness that I didn’t know if I’d ever seen a room,” Smith said. “Where people expressed concerns for their well-being more primarily for their families.”

It is understood that two Kings players have immediate family members currently under cancer therapy. Smith said that Kings imports are also fearful of being shut out from returning to their families back home to the States."

Good reasons all round it seems esp the 20 mins before tip off ofr Game4.

Let's not let a good beatup and non news get in the way of the facts.

Reply #800529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL also offered to speed up the series by rescheduling games four and five (if necessary). However, the Kings declined after only being informed of this option 20 minutes before last Sunday's tip-off to game three"

hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha what absolute rubbish.

"Adding salt to the wound, club officials maintain that both the NBL and Wildcats agreed that if the coronavirus interrupted the series, neither team would be crowned the winner."

The agreement was that if any player got the virus, the series would be called off. Of course the virus interrupted the series, games 2 & 3 were interrupted to a degree. Why didn't Sydney stop the series then?

Reply #800530 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Now the Kings are changing the story as the NBL only said it would only cancel the series if a player, coach, family member tested positive.

Reply #800531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Straight after game 3, Sydney were asked why they wouldn't move game 4 forward. They said its because they wanted to get rest into players. Now its because of the timing? Complete rubbish.

Reply #800532 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"That's a ridiculous comment- no team has ever won from 62 down at 3 quarter time"

Not quite. 2006 Round 10. West Coast Eagles came back from 54 points down midway through the third quarter to win by 3. Its not exactly 62 at 3.4 time but its pretty close. Not quite ridiculous after all ;)

Reply #800533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If commonsense prevails then expect the following outcomes in order of likelihood

1. No winner.
Which also means no MVP. Cotton was leading but like Perth being up the series wasn't over.

2. Perth. Were up 2-1 with point spread at time of series end.

3. Sydney. I think we all agree this won't happen. Using the minor premier argument is silly and renders the final and semi finals for that matter a waste of time.

Would expect the NBL to use every minute of their 48hours on their decision.
Silly really as it should have been announced when series was cancelled.

Reply #800534 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

BS, Kings would have made that agreement when it was 1-1. Flogs, and will go down for ruining the season when it was fine to continue on as is.

Reply #800535 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

COVID-19 didn't end the finals, Kings did. Forfeit, end of story.

Reply #800536 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

2006 Round 10. West Coast Eagles came back from 54 points down midway through the third quarter to win by 3. Its not exactly 62 at 3.4 time but its pretty close. Not quite ridiculous after all ;)

One of my all-time favourites, that one :)

(Still wasn't 62 at 3QT though)

Reply #800537 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Technically Kings have forfeited albeit it due to extenuating circumstances. In this case Wildcats win G4 20-0.

However with the extenuating circumstances it wouldn't surprise me if NBL rules it as a drawn GF series, or a no winner (unfinished) series.

Reply #800538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Would expect the NBL to use every minute of their 48hours on their decision.
Silly really as it should have been announced when series was cancelled."

They will need to appease Sydney's lawyers in that time...

Reply #800539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you hold a press conference and talk about raw emotions and the seriousness of why you are withdrawing, going as far as talking about two players having families going through cancer right now, saying it is bigger than basketball, then less than 24 hours later bitch and moan about the possibility of Perth being awarded the championship. They were in the box seat. They earnt their position. It is not like you are up 2-0 and you withdraw. You made that call. If it is bigger than basketball, give them the accolade and accept your decision for what it is. If you are honest and genuine, those who you made the decision for will respect you for it. Can't have it both ways.

Reply #800540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have let the imports go and played on. Ware who I think is a fantastic player was not contributing and Kay was smashing Tate. They might done better with out them.

Reply #800541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ 100% agree

Reply #800542 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I was completely OK with conceding the trophy 2-1 when I heard the news early today, but with the way Perth fans are carrying on here and across social media in general I've now swung towards hoping the NBL declares no winner.

Gotta love the typical rants from the Perf Haters:

"I'm not a bitter little man with an inadequate phallus, I just behave like one because of the Perf fans?

We're not "carrying on" about it, we're discussing in in the appropriate forums. And really it can mostly be grouped as follows.
Firstly disputing claims by the Sydney fanbois that it should be awarded to Sydney and/or that having only 3 games in a GF series is somehow illegitimate.
Secondly rebutting Sydney's grandstanding and claims to the moral highground.

Reply #800543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"However with the extenuating circumstances it wouldn't surprise me if NBL rules it as a drawn GF series, or a no winner (unfinished) series." Exactly as it should be.

Reply #800544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney were done, they weren't winning anymore games, try and cry themselves into a draw.

Childish

Reply #800545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sydney were done, they weren't winning anymore games, try and cry themselves into a draw."

Exactly! You never lied. Sydney were full of Americans and national representative players. If any team was built to handle the loss of players, it was them. They stockpiled. Chalk the quitters up to DNP due to injury and roll the dice. Instead they want it like "if we cannot win, you should not be able to either"

Reply #800547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is making Sydney look bad.

Reply #800548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can easily sympathise with both sides.

Aside from the anxieties of imports being away from home (and their ability to eventually get home), Sydney have a lot of older guys with young families. Totally understandable that they would want to minimise any potential risks, even if it means forfeiting the remaining games. They obviously took medical advice that it would not be a good idea to do this.

Perth absolutely should be awarded the title. I say this as massive Perth hater, but also has great respect for their achievements and program. They were up 2-1 in the series, a series that was expected to end likely end prematurely. The other team effectively forfeits (even if under completely extraordinary circumstances). They would be the deserving winners.

Reply #800551 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

So even if the NBL says there is no winner for 2019/20, technically Perth is still the defending NBL champion as no other team has won the trophy yet, right? So either way they are still the champs haha ;)

Reply #800553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you in primary school Train? There will always be a * against any result.

People like you and the other salty perth fans just simply give good reason to hate anything Perth fans post. It's only a game and who really cares that one team win it all when it cost them so much to win what is really a meaningless title.

Reply #800555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are lots of people involved in the series with young families or even expecting children. Sydney just used it as their draw 4 card and it hasn't worked

Reply #800556 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The reference to the gentleman's agreement seems to relate to the NBL cancelling the series, not due to one team autonomously deciding that the risks are too great for them after falling behind in the series. It seems absurd that the Kings would even argue for a no result series.

Reply #800557 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Cairns crowned 2020 NBL Champs - Everyone's a winner.

Reply #800558 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The Kings organisation lacks class.

They have no chance to be declared the Champions, rather than let another team be considered (I mean just considered not announced) Champions, they raise ficticious agreements that even the NBL themselves deny exist.

Wasn't it also discussed with JL on NBL overtime that the 3 game option was brought up after Game 1? Are they seriously suggesting it was offered only 20 mins before game 3?

I am sure it was offered AGAIN before Game 3 but it was offered after Game 1 too.

Kings used to be respectable.

Reply #800559 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Sydney could've played it in a way where they raised serious concerns, and pushed the league to cancel without pulling out themselves. The competitor in me suggest is that's the way they should've gone.

I think they actually just decided they had to make the call for the players and staff.

Reply #800560 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Lovey, your hatred and constant ridicule of certain things takes away from the times you're trying to be serious.

You'll be super mad at the Kings for a no-result decision made by the NBL. Yet if the Cats are crowned champs you will be content. Get a grip champ

Reply #800561 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You're missing the point. Anything could have happened but that is all moot now that Sydney forfeited.]

They forfeited for completely understandable reasons during a once-in-100-year event.

If you don't get that, then you're the only one missing the point.

Reply #800562 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"People like you and the other salty perth fans just simply give good reason to hate anything Perth fans post."

Let's face it, you hate us anyway.

"It's only a game and who really cares that one team win it all when it cost them so much to win what is really a meaningless title."

You obviously care enough to bite back. BTW you totally missed the context and tone of my comment...but hate away you bloody sook.

Reply #800563 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I think it's implied it was brought up twice lovebroker.

Once before game 2, when it was 1-0 Perth and would make it do or die. Sydney said no and JL said Perth understood that position.

I think they're also saying it was now brought up again before game 3, but there wasn't enough time to get a solid decision on it.

Reply #800564 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Cairns crowned 2020 NBL Champs - Everyone's a winner."

I wouldn't even be mad at this!!

Reply #800565 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

It's actually the perfect outcome

Reply #800566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It makes Perth look bad wanting the title to the detriment of all involved.

Reply #800567 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

but there wasn't enough time to get a solid decision on it.

Literally in the prior paragraph you acknowledged that it was offered after Game 1.

How does a human being type something then forget it in the next paragraph?

Reply #800569 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cats call a press conference. Damo trolls everyone by turning up to it with his wife & children.

Reply #800570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kings imports wanted out, kings folded, they still could have played game four with a reduced squad, got beaten but held there heads high, no championship but at least had a go.
I don't blame the imports for wanting to return to USA, these are personal family decisions but I’m certain the rest kings squad would’ve still been happy to have a crack.

Reply #800571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers fan here.
Anything other than a Perth championship here would be a complete and utter disgrace!
You've got athletes from every code in the country chomping at the bit to get out there and play yet this mob decide they're above all else. They ran away from a finals series, i don't care about the import scenario, i don't care about the gentlemen's agreements and obviously these softies didn't care enough about the Championship.
Congratulations Perth!

Reply #800572 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

At the moment these leagues are still going ahead:

A-League (with many international players)
AFL
NRL

Reply #800574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have imports too and players with families.

Reply #800575 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Good point, #567. It does make Perth look bad. It's almost like Perth isn't an advocate for player welfare unless it's their own players

Reply #800576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a life long Sydney Kings fan Im ashamed of my team and how they've handled.

Such an embarrassing, depressing end to a good season.

Reply #800578 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I was clearly talking about it happening on 2 occasions, and them not having time on the second occasion LoveBroker you one eyed nuffy.

Reply #800579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THis says it all. Perth to win at any cost. Including his own players.

"While Kings coach Will Weaver claimed the seriousness of the health threat meant "it couldn't matter less" who won, his Wildcats opposite Trevor Gleeson was more forthright.

"It's devastation. You work for something for nine months and you're that close," he said.

"It's always the scoreboard tells the story ... if you're 150 laps into Bathurst and it's called off who wins that?

"If it's 2-1 in the tennis match whoever leads is always given (the win)."

We want the W. Stuff anyone's health.

Reply #800580 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

It makes Perth look bad wanting the title to the detriment of all involved.

How is LK saying 2 words detrimental to anyone?

Reply #800581 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

As a life long Sydney Kings fan Im ashamed of my team and how they've handled.

Such an embarrassing, depressing end to a good season.

Take solace that at least you have self-awareness, unlike Paul Smith.

Reply #800583 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Lol at sydney trying to change the story now. The idea of rescheduling the games was put to them well before 20 minutes before the game which they rejected. They are just making themselves look worse now.

Agree with the earlier comment.. there's no doubting the extraordinary circumstances but if they were truly compassionate about the situation of the players family and two with cancer. Then they wouldn't care less about who gets awarded with the championship.

In fact, it wouldn't have surprised me if both clubs came together and agreed on a no result. But the way the kings have tried to manipulate matters and changing the story of the gentlemans agreement now. They dont deserve to be even known as joint winners.

Reply #800584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""We can rationalise around social responsibility, we can rationalise around many things. But ultimately, we had to consider internally, the wellbeing of our players and our staff."
Western Australia's top doctors on Tuesday recommended any person that enters the state self-isolates, putting the Kings' decision to cancel their trip to Perth in perspective.
Weaver said the NBL's decision to either null and void the season or hand the Wildcats the championship given they lead the series 2-1"couldn't matter less" to Sydney.

"In the scheme of things, the relevance of the competition is so greatly diminished by the circumstances of this health crisis," Weaver said.

"Our conversations with our players - while of course a competitive mindset was present throughout the conversation – at the end of the day, our obligation to their wellbeing and the wellbeing of our society broadly meant there was no other course of action we could take where we would feel we met those obligations."
This Western Australia's top doctors on Tuesday recommended any person that enters the state self-isolates, putting the Kings' decision to cancel their trip to Perth in perspective.

Good to see one team actually cares about everyone's long term health.

Reply #800585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That directive is to keep the unclean easterners out. They had no problem making Perth travel into COVID-central Sydney.

Reply #800587 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Good to see one team actually cares about everyone's long term health."

Pretty sure your comments currently relate to overseas visitors into WA, not domestic travel at the time the Kings made the decision...

Reply #800588 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Everyone saying on here that 'A Wildcats title will always have an *' as if its meant to upset people or sway some arguments...As if everyone that supports another team doesn't put an * on every one of Perth's 9 titles.

You have so much more money

You had Ennis

You stole Kay and Norton

You had Cotton

Your Government built you a stadium

etc etc...

If the championship is awarded to us we will cheer when its unveiled and move onto trying to win #11.

Reply #800589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's some perspective for you:

NSW cases on Saturday March 7 (the day before game 1) - 33
Does everybody remember game 1? You know... the game with the massive crowd?

WA cases on Friday March 13 (game 2 - the first empty stadium) - 14

Tell me again how Sydney care so much about public health?

Reply #800590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have played the game in Northern Territory if they were really worried about covid

Reply #800591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unsurprising that Manu ignores the actual issues just so he can stick the boot in to Perth.

Reply #800592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"At the moment these leagues are still going ahead:

A-League (with many international players)
AFL
NRL"

The A League should stop playing as they are losing squillions already. Save some money.
AFL, are now playing a 1/2 a season. A bit like 3/5 of a GF series.. But it sill maybe called off.
NRL. Stupidity at it'sbest. The NRL also want a $200mill gov handout as they are essentially broke. Was there a point?

Reply #800593 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

@TimeberBall "If the championship is awarded to us we will cheer when its unveiled and move onto trying to win #11."

...and we will bitch and moan about it for a while, and then bring it up randomly every time there is a decision by the NBL that favours the Cats. :) :) :)

After listening to a few people and having a think, I have changed my position a little. Give Cotton the MVP, give the Cats the title. It will have an asterix, as will every sport result until this crap is over with.

Hopefully we can run it back next year with a different outcome.

Reply #800597 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Exactly DaveQ...why upset the status quo, it's a system that has worked for 30+ years, everyone hates the Cats, the Cats get ahead, Hoops forums have content for years to come.

Reply #800598 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

It's finally happened. Perth fans have gone from annoyingly one-eyed to full-blown cult members, not capable of rational thought.

Saying you don't want to play during a global pandemic, when the cases and spread of disease are increasing at an alarming pace and things are as uncertain as they are IS NOT forfeiting. Just because this affects the gloating that would go on inside the little fishbowl you have created for yourselves over there, doesn't mean that it's wrong.

Get some perspective.

Reply #800600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay Paul

Reply #800601 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

The desperation of the Perth fans to prove their case for being Champions, is probably the biggest sign that it isn't a strong one.

Reply #800602 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"The desperation of the Perth fans to prove their case for being Champions, is probably the biggest sign that it isn't a strong one."

You could argue the same applies to those proving their case for Perth not to be Champions.

Reply #800603 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

It's about 10,000 posts to 5 Train.

Some with reason and some with name calling and made up stories.

Reply #800606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahaha haha how do you come to that conclusion Greggo? Most of this thread is people misunderstanding what Sydney have done, and/or leaving out key parts, and then Perth fans or other sensible people correcting them.

No one is desperate to prove their case because its actually pretty cut and shut.

Reply #800607 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Why are we surprised that the sports with the biggest investment are the last to pull the plug? And then the AFL and the NRL have the hide to tell us they're concerned primarily about their players’ welfare, or even to ask for a government handout?

As long as they don’t @#$&ing GET any government handouts, whether out in the open or on the quiet.

Reply #800608 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Kings are a very deceptive mob.

If the virus intercepted the series ie a player got the virus or a government directive then the finals would be cancelled.

Kings had half their team 30 plus years and just coward out because they were beaten up.

Reply #800610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enough kings players wanted to play, some of these guys on last chance of premiership. It was a tough decision all round.

Reply #800612 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Do you guys honestly think you'd be "claiming forfeit" if Perth decided it was too risky to the players health to fly to Sydney last weekend?

If Perth's medical staff said, "hey we fear this is too high risk to go on with", and then Sydney said, "well we're here ready to play, give us the championship."

Or do you think you'd be able to see the reasonable concern, common sense, and bring some rational thought into it....

Some of the commentary here is absurd

Reply #800614 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Who wanted to play should've played! Imports who ever wanted to leave they could. Paul Smith said not everyone was on board at the start.

Send a team over and compete! Simple! Paul was offering the new Zealand nrl team help then the next day calls quits?

Perth killed Sydney all season

Reply #800615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greggo, you know as well as I do that if Perth had pulled the shit Sydney did BEFORE yesterday (refusing the budge on shifting games, refusing to play in front of an away crowd, threatening to call lawyers in if things didnt go their way) then they would be absolutely slammed by all NBL fans. Just because Sydney ended up making the right decision, to doesn't undo all the mucking around they did leading up to the forfeit.

Reply #800616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It can't be that hard for the tossers at HQ to make a decision.

Reply #800619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Further to that, if there was such a concern for his players, why make them play game 2 and 3 at all? Why waste time trying to steal HCA back off Perth, then lose it again Sunday? That was the Kings trying to stack the deck in their favour, not a concern for their players health.

You'd probably expect that the Cats’ frustration comes from having to deal with the Kings and get nowhere, then suddenly have the series canned because the Kings just decided they didn’t want to play any more when other options had previously been available.

Reply #800621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you discuss a winner for a day without resolution.

It's basically so Perth get it or not?

Might as well just say yes, a trophy is just a trophy at the end of the day. It doesn't really hold any significant meaning, but someone may as well have it in this shitshow of a world currently.

This virus ain't going away anytime soon.

Reply #800622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Perth fan who believes we deserve the title.
But in no way do I plan to gloat, the coronavirus has taken away the joy of any win.

If it was Cairns or Adelaide in Perth's position I think 95% of the forum would be in favour.

Guarantee if Perth was down 2-1 EVERYONE would be calling for Sydney title.

Reply #800624 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

You play for trophies and banners, end of the day it's a business people get paid. Like most people that go to work everyday see no difference for a sporting team?

Perth take shit seriously and health issues not just Sydney, everyone abides by the health regulations. Was no need to pull out.

Reply #800625 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This was a best of 5 series. Both teams played game 3 with the understanding they'd need to win 2 more games

I feel sorry for Damien Martin, and the Perth fans because they probably would've won.

But, you can't award a championship on an incomplete series and a probably.

Reply #800628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL should have made it winner take all in game 3.

Reply #800631 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Enough of the series was played to see a clear leader.

Reply #800632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah true lovebroker one team has scored 282 points and the other only scored 279 points so it's very clear cut

Reply #800637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But, you can't award a championship on an incomplete series

Why not?

Reply #800638 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Yes I meant points scored as that is how a series is normally decided.

If so, then Melbourne should hve been in the GF.

Reply #800639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bullshit about there being a clear leader considering it was one big win each and a single basket difference in the other one

Reply #800640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HELLO..... Is Bogut out there?

He's been very quiet on the NBL GF cancellation!
Love to see a tweet from him giving us his opinion
on the decision.

Reply #800646 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Yes a win is only valid if its more than 5 points margin....otherwise its a draw in basketball.

Reply #800648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut, Kickett, Newley running out chances to win, I'm not convinced the Aussie players didn’t want to play on. Gut feeling and rumours on the street.

Reply #800649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You play for trophies and banners, end of the day it's a business people get paid." Yep and the point is that because the Wilcats didn't get enough finals game this season they won't break even. No wonder the Perth fans are bitching. I guess next season you can look forward to higher ticket prices.

Reply #800658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"because the Wilcats didn't get enough finals game this season they won't break even"

This. Exactly this. Fucking hypocrites.

Reply #800661 | Report this post

Sirjump  
Years ago

Both teams lined up to play Game 3 knowing the series was tied 1-1, and that there were extraordinary circumstances overshadowing the continuation of the series:

- Game 2 had been played without a crowd, game 3 would be as well.
- There was a risk that any player on either team could contract COVID-19 at any time, and then transmit it to their team mates and opponents, who in turn could pass it on to their families.
- Other sports leagues around the world had been shut down. In the case of the NBA, the whole league shut down as soon as one player tested positive. The NBL wouldn't have to shut down the whole league - it would only have to stop 2 teams from continuing to play.
- Both teams have imports/staff who needed to consider their ability to travel home to their families, where the ability to travel internationally was devolving rapidly.

In those circumstances, which were known by both teams, winning game 3 took on even more significance than it usually would in a 5 game series that was tied 1-1. Either team could have won game 3, but Perth came out on top, earning the right to be crowned champions if the series was stopped prematurely. It was stopped. Perth are champions.

(The fact that Sydney stopped the series, rather than the league, is not strictly relevant to reaching this conclusion. If anything, though, it reinforces that Perth are the rightful champions.)

Reply #800662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to Perth for being more deserving champions

Reply #800664 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"But, you can't award a championship on an incomplete series and a probably."

Why not though? It's best of 5. Not first to 3! Games 4 and 5 were abandoned. Perth still won the series 2-1. I know it’s a different sport but there is precedent for this in other sports.

Reply #800666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" because the Wilcats didn't get enough finals game this season they won't break even"

This. Exactly this. Fucking hypocrites."

What? How does this make the Wildcats hypocrites?

Reply #800668 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"But, you can't award a championship on an incomplete series and a probably."

Yes, you can. The same way as regular season wins can be awarded for an incomplete game. There is even a precedent for most of the NBL's history -- including most of the past decade -- for the grand final to be the first to two wins, which Perth has already satisfied.

Reply #800674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth going broke. Not enough finals games to make a $1 profit.

Reply #800676 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Congratulations to the Perth Wildcats. Great championship. What a season. Best season ever, Wildcats deserve it. Press conference tomorrow.

Reply #800677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Perth going broke. Not enough finals games to make a $1 profit."

Considering they weren't playing in front of a crowd, this is irrelevant. If anything, winning in three games has saved them money.

Reply #800678 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Yep and the point is that because the Wilcats didn't get enough finals game this season they won't break even.

This. Exactly this. Fucking hypocrites.

Have you two thought this through?

The Wildcats agreed to having an empty Game 2, losing money.
The Wildcats agreed to chartered flights, losing more money.
The Wildcats agreed to having an empty Game 4, losing even more money.

COVID wiped out all hope of making money, yet they still wanted to persist. Doesn't that tell you (or at least a person with reason and logic) it isn't about money?

Reply #800680 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

How is this hard? Sydney forfeited game 4, they admitted they didn't want to fly out of Australia's covid19 ground zero. So Perth gets that win.
If a any sports team decides not to play a game they already agreed to play that is their right, be it because of health, money, violence, fear, whatever, but the consequence is they now lose that game... If that affects other results well that's the rest of the consequence... That equates to a 3 - 1 series win for Perth.

Reply #800682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So press conference to be this morning at 11am AEST. Aside from the two obvious options of Wildcats are named Champions / No Champion awarded - is there any hope at all that the League could stun everyone and somehow name the Kings as Champions, and if so what would / could be their justification for doing so?

Reply #800688 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

NBL's announcement will be a no-result, and won't it be glorious. Can't wait to see the folks bleating. I just hope the league doesn't explain its decision well enough and people go even more crazy

Reply #800689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Doesn't that tell you (or at least a person with reason and logic) it isn't about money?" Yes you are right. It's about winning at all costs. Literally.

Reply #800693 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Manu, if it's a no result I would be frustrated but not angry. If the Kings were announced I think there would be a riot.

Reply #800694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You heard it here first: Kings will be announced Champions based off regular season record and Bogut to retire at the same time whilst getting pictures with the trophies and being named Series MVP.

Reply #800696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully that is also the last we hear that.

Reply #800697 | Report this post

Jacon  
Years ago

In the news conference's one group concentrated on why they should be the winners and the other group never mentioned that they thought they should be the champs, they just wanted their guys to get back to their homes and family before they might not be able to. I'm a Perth fan but even I am ebarrased.

Reply #800699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree.

Imagine all the sacrifices you make throughout the season, only for your "opponent" to not value the championship enough to consult or be flexible about schedule.

They didn't care for one teams safety for game 3, but all of a sudden created a fake moral high ground for game 4.

Granted they needed to think about getting 4 imports home ASAP, they had a job to do and didn’t do it.

A reminder there are still no travel bans in place and social gatherings of less than 100 people are still allowed.

Sydney quit because they are selfish and wanted to control the narrative.

Perth don’t need to be awarded the championship (which they deserve), simply Sydney should not be considered champions at all. Furthermore they revoke any claim to “Hoops Capital”. Clearly ball is not life for Paul Smith and friends.

Reply #800701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow you're a flog Manu

Reply #800702 | Report this post

Charon72  
Years ago

Lets not mistake this. Sydney ONLY gave up because they were down 1-2 in the series. Had they been 2-1 up they would of played on. Bogut is carrying an injury and couldn't be bothered playing on knowing there was a high chance of losing game 4 in Perth.

Reply #800704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are 3 possible outcomes.
I am ok with 2 of those outcomes.

Reply #800707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm willing to bet Jacon is not a Perth fan at all.

Reply #800708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one really knows why they gave up but the imports were probably the main reason. It's understandable that Ware and Tate wanted out, Taylor doesn’t come into the discussion as he wasn’t playing and could’ve left any time. Didi was settled in Australia and the nba is not playing so no rush there. I still don’t get why the balance of players were not allowed to continue, there is no way Newley would want to give it up with out a fight.

Reply #800710 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

LK said on radio two days ago that the only two genuine outcomes are Perth title and stalemate. Won't be a Kings championship

Reply #800712 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Stream of press conference?

Reply #800713 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Maybe they said the imports wanted out to protect Bogut?

And no under no circumstances should the NBL hand the title to the Kings it should be Perth winning or no winner. If they give it to the Kings it would be the final straw for me and I would turn my back on the NBL after almost 30 years.

Reply #800714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sydney's clear top priority was player welfare they would've agreed to a best of 3 series. Even numpties with no medical or competition expertise were suggesting that as a solution but the Kings didn't want it because they were down 0-1 with a game to come in Perth.

People who say Perth didn't care about player welfare are only listening to the bits of the press conference they want to hear.

Listen more closely and you'll see they had the same player meetings the Kings had and were checking with their players that they still felt comfortable playing.

Listen to the Damian Martin presser posted above.

Reply #800715 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The fact that every day the situation was ramping up cannot be overstated. The context has been changing daily

Reply #800716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If Sydney's clear top priority was player welfare..."

The could have also played games 2 & 3 in Perth (no crowd), then 4 & 5 at home (with shorter times between games) but every one of the options available took away their competitive advantage, so they pulled the pin.

The only wiggle room Sydney was willing to offer was playing game 4 in Woolongong, which kind of makes sense from a travel point of view, but means Smith's latest excuse of players and bodily fluids somewhat redundant.

Reply #800717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The context has been changing daily"

Agreed. One day, Sydney was the Hoops Capital. The next, they forfeited a grand final because they were scared of losing.

Reply #800718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth look pathetic, crying about their Trophy - hey guys there's more important things going on, quit it

Reply #800719 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Sydney think they are the big boys for some reason, played with an extra import, pulled out of game 4 and are behind 2 games to 1.

Its clearly a Wildcats Championship.

Reply #800720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"their Trophy"

At least you admit it belongs to Perth.

Reply #800721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quit it? like sydney?

Reply #800725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth haters gonna hate.
Even if it's called a draw I know Perth won.

Reply #800726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For those people panic buying at supermarkets please don't forget to stock up on condoms so that you don't produce more idiots. Thanks.

Reply #800727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I panic-bought your mum.

Reply #800730 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

No decision till this arvo. Both teams have submitted their case.

As per Lachy Reid.

Reply #800733 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We champs yet?

Reply #800735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are champs Perthworld regardless of the ruling.

Reply #800737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo deserves his sixth title.

Reply #800738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We chumps yet?". Always have been.

Reply #800741 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Winner should be the first team to fly to Melbourne to pick up the trophy.

Reply #800744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are chumps? Ten titles, 34 straight playoffs, biggest fanbase....not really what I'd called chumps.

Reply #800747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good one Anon.

Reply #800748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The chump remark is just more salt from Perth haters.
9 or 10 titles doesn't matter.
Still the best club in the NBL and it's not even close.

Reply #800749 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Give it to Perth and move on.

On another note, how great is it having egomaniac team owners who push their own agenda above the benefit of the league? Great stuff.

Reply #800750 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Lets not let Kestlewit and his mates off here. Even Stevie Wonder saw this coming. Was the virus being cured between game 2 and 3? Should of called it best of 3,easiest & smartest decision ever. Knuckleheads!

Reply #800755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

correct ThunderJam.

Reply #800756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Announcement in an hour

Reply #800759 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I imagine that in future years, uni students will do case studies on this:
How LK and his mate took the best ever NBL season, and turned it into a bush league farce.

Whoever they announce (or don't) as the winner, the biggest loser is the reputation of the league.

The lack of contingency planning is bad enough.
Failing to recognise the impending impact was stupid, but the bungling that took place even after the shit hit the fan, was just appalling.

There were so many options, its incredible. But instead they stumbled from one rush decision to another, all the while allowing Sydney's dickhead owner to dick-tate proceedings.
And for the crowning turd on this pile of shit, they cancel the series but hadn't figured out what to do about a result.

It doesn't matter what they announce now, they look like tossers.

Reply #800760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney have submitted their case? Don't think they have much of a case and I also thought that narrative was they didn't care

Reply #800761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" But instead they stumbled from one rush decision to another"

I'm not saying everything was handled well but what rushed decisions were there? the only change from the original plan was removing the crowds.

Or are you saying the league shouldn’t have called the series off even after Sydney pulled out?

Reply #800763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney will have a medical team advice, I'm still not convinced a player or two had the infection and names haven’t been released for confidentiality. They certainly didn’t look like they were good in their last game and maybe found out after it’s completion.

Reply #800769 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"We are champs Perthworld regardless of the ruling."

The players, yes. The fanbase... yikes. I just hope the NBL gives you guys your astericks trophy so you can move on and maybe focus on some of the more important things in life happening right now. Not sure I could handle this place if the league announces no winner.

Reply #800777 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Could be all sorts of legal ramifications with sponsors, broadcasters, teams etc to which we are not privy, and why it's taking so long to sort out.

I'm okay with whatever they come up with.

Reply #800780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the Kings owner, Angus? No room for criticism of him?

Reply #800781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wrote" we are champs Perthworld" but I know as do many the 2019/20 season will be remembered for the coronavirus as opposed to who won.

Anticlimactic end to the season for us all.

Reply #800782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely anticlimactic. Doesn't mean Perth don’t deserve the win

Reply #800783 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

decision at 12 AWST

Reply #800784 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"What about the Kings owner, Angus? No room for criticism of him?"

Sorry, what are we supposed to be criticizing him over now? The Chinese whispers surrounding what led to the series being cancelled? Sure, as soon as something official comes out, if he's portrayed in a bad light then so be it. In all honesty I don't care.

Reply #800785 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Live streaming on NBL Twitter and Facebook page and Wildcats Facebook

Reply #800786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Chinese whispers surrounding what led to the series being cancelled?

Not whispers Angus. Its pretty clear what occurred.

Reply #800787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't blame Angus for defending his team and owner.

Reply #800789 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

We could really speed things up if the NBL just announced Perth or Sydney as winning the title on an alternating basis as each season commenced.

Reply #800790 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

#10!!!

Reply #800791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant blame Angus either but shitting on another team to do so is ordinary.

Reply #800792 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

NBL's announcement will be a no-result, and won't it be glorious.

You are an idiot.

Reply #800798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Champions*

Reply #800801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney were runners-up*

Reply #800805 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I just hope the NBL gives you guys your astericks trophy so you can move on and maybe focus on some of the more important things in life happening right now.

I love Sydney fans.

During the season, we are the best, we were #1 all the way through.

In a no win situation......there's more important things in life than plain old silly Basketball.

Reply #800810 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We are champs Perthworld regardless of the ruling.

True, it's our champion spirit which really came to the fore in Game 3.

It's actually a double win for the Red Army - we win and #AnyoneButSydney. Everyone else wins (apart from Sydney) as #AnyoneButSydney!

Sadly all of this has been overshadowed by the virus. Stay safe everyone.

Reply #800812 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Was there a pandemic during the regular season LoveBroker? There are more important things than basketball right now. Maybe you'll see it.

You really are a deluded one eyed human.

Your team got the championship, were probably gonna win, but I'd still say are lucky to be crowned champion. Take it and move on.

Reply #800814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Lovebroker is a Perth fan.

Reply #800817 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Was there a pandemic during the regular season LoveBroker?

No there wasn't.

You really are a deluded one eyed human.

Have you seen your posts?

Your team got the championship

My team didn't make it to the playoffs.

Reply #800820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754