AJ
Years ago

Sturt- Are they really so good?

After all the talk about Sturt over the past few weeks i find it interesting that they won 11 GF (still good)and lost 10. Norwood won 7, Forestville won 8 and North won 8 as well. Weven though they sill won the most the age groups aren't as one sided as most people think. (Interesting though Sturt won five GF in the U 12 age groups while forestville lost 5,

Results can be found here (only winners & lossers no scores)

www.sturtsabres.com.au/i.cfm/news/592/

Topic #4707 | Report this topic

nope  
Years ago

Alot of good individual players have come from sturt.

On the whole they do a poor job at getting their players ready for the ABL. On the whole their teams dont seem to improve. By the time their current juniors get to 18s/20s everyone else will have caught up.

They work hard @ recruiting kids at U10/U12 level but not so good at developing those kids.

Reply #54291 | Report this post

nope  
Years ago

I personally would send my kids to norwood, north or woodville.

Reply #54292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Good one!!

Reply #54295 | Report this post

Jedi Mind Tricks  
Years ago

nope,

If your kids are as dumb as you Norwood can have them.

How many Sturt juniors played in Athens ? Was it 3!!!

Can't produce ABL players Pff

Reply #54303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk is cheap, our results at all levels speak for themselves in terms of players and teams. The haters just make us try harder. See you on the court where it should be settled.

Reply #54306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AJ,

I think that you will find Sturt had 3 players that participated at the last Olympics. Not bad considering that 2 of them were under 21 years old.

Also if you look at the NBL and WNBL rosters you would see,

Laura Summerton
Angela Marino
Monique Bowley (inj)
Bridget Bowley
Emma Langford next season at AIS will play WNBL

Brett Maher
Jacob Holmes
Brad Hill
Oscar Foreman
Jordan Dodman will be on the 36ers roster in a year or so,

all on rosters. That's reasonably good.

Not to mention all the Sturt juniors that play ABA at other club.

That you weren't good enough to make it at Sturt shows by your attempts to put the club down whenever possible. But it just makes you look like the sook that you are.

Reply #54316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt suck balls

Reply #54323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly anon#54323, get your mum to slap you upside the head, give you another bottle of milk and put you back to bed!

Reply #54326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

true dat they have got some great players come out of the club but YEa alot of thier players burnout by U18s & U20s or are just no good.

Reply #54338 | Report this post

Kutthis Arminoff  
Years ago

Nope,

Show me a parent who would rather take their child to Woodville, Norwood or North over Sturt; and I will show you a classic case of child abuse....

Reply #54339 | Report this post

Keith Hernandez  
Years ago

Nope,

Everyone is entiteld to their opinion (you and AJ combined), however, allow me to retort on a factual basis to some of your statements:

"Alot of good individual players have come from sturt." - Correct weight and all clear

"On the whole they do a poor job at getting their players ready for the ABL." I am not sure what your factual basis behind this statement is. Is it that you believe that we dont have produce enough juniors to play in our senior teams? This is false, because on last glance our senior teams were made up of a majority of Sturt juniors.
Or is it that you feel that we do have juniors into our senior program but because they aren't ready for senior basketball the teams are not competitive? This is false as well, because results say that both teams have been consistantly competitive in recent memory, playing in numerous finals and winning championships.

"On the whole their teams dont seem to improve. By the time their current juniors get to 18s/20s everyone else will have caught up." By this I am guessing you mean that the teams we have excel at the U10 - U16 level and then come back to the pack in U/18s & U/20s. I'll have to defer to Darth Mesecke for exact data on this one, but on the girls side, the past few U/18 sides have achieved the same if not better results then what they did in U/14 & U/16s. Our U/21 Girls have also won state champs at least twice in the last five years.
On the boys side, we have gone through a cycle of teams at U/18 & U/20 level that havent been "super" groups. Having said that, they werent winning groups in their formative years either, so to say that they have "come back to the pack" is just completely untrue - they are the pack! The only exception is this years U/18 Div 1s who did not replicate their State Champion wins from U/14s & U/16s (they lost this year in the semi final to the 'time out scouting' Southern Tigers). So I guess if you want to make a broad statement on the back of one group then go right ahead...its just that it wouldnt be true.

"They work hard @ recruiting kids at U10/U12 level" - Again Correct Weight and all clear. BTW - how hard does your club work at this age level? How many teams do they have playing both district and domestically. What have been their results? I'd be very interested....

"but not so good at developing those kids." - I think our numerous Olympians, NBL & WNBL players, Australian Representatives (both Junior and Senior), AIS Scholarship holders and State Representatives would have something to say about that comment. In fact, if we were so poor at developing kids, why are we continually knocking back kids from other clubs who want to move to our club because they want an opportiunity to be developed. Furthermore, why arent our players leaving in droves from U/16s, U/18s and U/20s sighting a lack of development as a reason?

Nope, I am not sure if even Grisham could find the facts to back up your statements, but as previously mentioned, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Enough of this banter, I need to move house with the help of my mate Jerry and then try and get to second base with Elaine....

Reply #54341 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Anonymous #54316
I am not disputing the fact that Sturt has produced outstanding players, I am saying after a season of Arrogance by many of the Sturt coaches I was curious to see if they could back it up with GF wins. They did this in U14 and U12 but did not manage very well in the other age groups. Moreover, as for me not making it as Sturt (I do not intend to set the world alight with my skill) I play for them and have in the higher divisions. I'm not a soke im seeing if they can walk the Talk.

Reply #54342 | Report this post

Daws Rd  
Years ago

Sturt, AJ won't be happy until you are winning EVERY age group. Consider it a challenge!

Reply #54351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nar just cut down on the Arrogance and be pleased with a win, don't just expect to win the game. (Good example was U16 Boys div 1. The talk before that game was all trash, they lost.) Better to be Humble

Reply #54354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 16's boys West v Sturt was tight the whole way through the year. Not sure what arogance you are talking about. Had sturt won every game and then lost to west your comment might have some substance

Reply #54358 | Report this post

Whistleblower  
Years ago

Grand Final Results by Teams

Sturt 11 prem - 9 r/u Total 20
Boys 5 prem - 5 r/u
Girls 6 prem - 4 r/u

North 8 prem - 6 r/u Total 14
Boys 4 prem - 4 r/u
Girls 4 prem - 2 r/u

F/v 7 prem - 7 r/u Total 14
Boys 5 prem - 2 r/u
Girls 2 prem - 5 r/u

N/W 7 prem - 4 r/u Total 11
Boys 5 prem - 2 r/u
Girls 2 prem - 2 r/u

West 3 prem - 1 r/u Total 4
Boys 1 prem - 1 r/u
Girls 2 prem - Nil

South 1 prem - 7 r/u Total 8
Boys 1 prem - 5 r/u
Girls Nil - 2 r/u

Wood 1 prem - 4 r/u Total 5
Boys Nil - 2 r/u
Girls 1 prem - 2 r/u

S/Tig 1 prem - 1 r/u Total 2
Boys Nil - Nil
Girls 1 prem - 1 r/u

Again we see the Fab Four dominate Sturt North Forrestville Norwood.
South would be disappointed with only 1 prem considering they had 7 r/up. West did well as they won 3 prem and 2 were div 1 - 16Boys & 16 Girls. W/Ville only prem came in the U21.2 Womens while Southern Tigers only prem came in U10.2 Girls.

Reply #54364 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Is West back on the rise? Will they become the power house club they used to be? Once they get a new Arena (the one they are in now is worth quite a few $$$ because its on prime land) i reckon they will.

Reply #54368 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

AJ,
I find it interesting that a Sturt player is writing posts like this. Where is your club loyalty? You are supposed to be proud of your club, not bag it at every chance.
You may want to think about your future comments as Sturt coaches are already out head hunting you.
Just a friendly warning.
P.S. I think that Sturt, and any other club for that matter, has a right to be proud of individual players achievements.

Reply #54534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dandy can take the credit for sturts sucsess

Reply #54863 | Report this post

Uncle Rico  
Years ago

Who takes credit for your spelling?

Reply #54893 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 pm, Mon 6 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754