Anonymous
Years ago

What will BSA do in aftermath?

Everyone has a story to tell about the ineptitude of BSA, whether it's lateness of fixtures, forgetting to supply referees for makeup games, failure to handle complaints etc.
How are they going to respond, hands are tied in a lot of instances currently with games cancelled, stadiums closed, restricted gatherings maybe going forward.
BSA need to step up and get their shit together. They're going to have plenty of time to plan an action plan and get on with it. This shouldn't be restricted to district games but to all areas of basketball, social comps, school ball, elite programs and school visits. A great opportunity is there to get out there when restrictions are lifted to try and get kids playing that previously haven't. Have a plan in place if a semblance of winter season can be salvaged, be it just 1 round and finals. Have state champs in October if need be, keep the kids in current teams but let them have a chance to compete for a chance.
Speak to social comps and rec centres and see what can be done to assist.
Focus on proper referee training, make sure there's a level of consistency out there instead of constantly ignoring it. Everyone knows games are called differently at different stadiums, put onus on umpires in charge to make tough calls, if a ref is making up shit, pull them aside and if need be put them with someone that can teach them properly, be it at different area. If they crack shits, piss them off and promote others willing to show they can do job. Umpires in charge or stadium staff, crack down on coaches and spectators. Loud mouth coaches get away with murder because they can and always have. Enforce code of conduct.
Get state programs under control and get proper coaches that don't favour club affiliation. Get rid of hangers on that just want that tracksuit when they have no idea.
This is at least a once in a generation emergency that affects all of society, not just basketball. BSA staff have been told to work at home, but what can they do. The sport can take a huge step in starting afresh instead of the old, this is the way we've always done it. Stop the big clubs leading the governing body, make the clubs accountable but have a fair involvment in getting things on track. Some clubs struggle with involvment from communities, help them out and the competition gets better, rather than big clubs saying we'll do what we want. Try and fix the huge turnover in staff, always seeing new appointments, most inexperienced kids seeing dollar signs, no training, get stressed and leave.
Huge gap between good umpires and bad. As said, coach and crowd behaviour disgusting at times.
C'mon BSA, instead of sitting at home doing home improvements, get on phones, when meetings allowed, do something. Speak to interstate or overseas people and find the best model. Now is best time to rise from ashes and make basketball relevant and best run competition in state and national.

Topic #47093 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

*not just one round of games, but everyone plays each other at least once, who cares about home court advantage as long as everyone has a chance against all teams.

Reply #801567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are assuming that these measures won't be in place for longer than 6 months.

Reply #801569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, assuming something that no-one has a clue will end, that's what you took out of it!

Reply #801572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stadium at Wayville needs a good clean ,roof need fixing clocks need fixing ,now is the good time to fix while stadium not being used.

Basketball SA don't have time to do referee development while this crisis is in place,standard of referee has gone down because wrong people are in the joint.As you see a lot of older referees have heart to referee games give up their time but younger refs these days don’t want to referee because of the abuse given by people around them,don’t blame them.

Can’t see basketball SA doing anything ,Wayville will be full of spider webs when it reopens.

Reply #801580 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

what's a parent gonna do in self iso?

pen this manifesto drivel..

thanks for the laughs!

Reply #801584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#580 probably not a great time to be spending your cash reserves when you have absolutely no idea when you will start receiving any revenue whatsoever.

Reply #801590 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Didn't BSA employ Big Joe to fix all our stadium issues? Has anything been done??

Reply #801591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, he left.....

Reply #801592 | Report this post

The TrUth  
Years ago

Why did he leave or was he asked to leave?

Reply #801594 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

#580 probably not a great time to be spending your cash reserves when you have absolutely no idea when you will start receiving any revenue whatsoever.
Sadly agree with that. Long hopeful post by OP but if a community organisation is run by amateurs with amateur results historically, I think that will continue. They'll be stymied by shock on the home front (how do I pay the bills, how do I get any work done with kids out of school, etc) and reluctant to spend in this climate. As restrictions ease, there will be a late panic about opportunity and then start in the same style as before. Especially if it's impossible to have a firm idea of when things will return to normal (normal enough, anyway). Without a deadline, how many people run at full capacity?

Reply #801595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP here. Yes, was a bit of a rant I admit, late on a Tuesday night and was bored so went on a bit. But was just thinking what can be done in layoff. Don't think upper echelon will be unemployed so what can they do with time off at home. I was mainly suggesting they clarify what isn't working or what can be improved and set up a strategy to try and make things better when games and trainings begin. And I'm not a parent. Money is a consideration, but I'm not talking infrastructure. Mainly developing and building relationships with key stakeholders and what is best for the whole. Not knowing the structure of BSA and I'm not sure they do either, maybe its time to look at streamlining its structure to avoid cockups all the time.
So with more than usual at home, what are some things that BSA should do when they come back, excluding infrastructure. I think everyone agrees air con at stadiums are one thing, but what are realistic changes that should be mad.

Reply #801603 | Report this post

Challenging times  
Years ago

BSA are far from perfect but over the last couple of years they have restored the financial position of the Organisation to the point that they can make sure the sport and clubs get thru this challenging time. My understanding is that they have also worked hard at developing a positive and open relationship with the clubs and associations - still much to do but moving in the right direction. There is a recent new appointment to further develop the referees. The facility repair issues are complicated as BSA doesn't own any of the stadiums. It is easy to criticise BSA but from my interactions they are doing their best and things are moving in a positive manner.

Reply #801604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant see BSA having reams of saved cash to keep people employed for long

so when this is all over, volunteers will be needed to run things again

i think a lot of sports will end up going back to full amateur status run by volunteers and not paid CEO's

Reply #801609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs threatened to withdraw from BSA competitions to change governance structure because BSA wouldn't do it.

Doesn’t sound like an open or positive relationship if clubs needed to take those measures.

Reply #801610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only change for the better (for BSA) is a number of powerful people who were willing to fight for a better system for clubs and their members have left the sport from Basketball Adelaide and Club land.

The changes at BSA have all been for the worse, both in service delivery and financially.

Reply #801613 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Like any organisation, this is a trying time and an opportunity to focus on what strategic line to follow after things settle down.

Time to redo the business plan as people suggest. With a business, sometimes the most important people are those not buying your product as understanding why they are using your products and services helps you understand if it is a marketing issue, or a product issue.

Strategically, a good time to get into the room of mirrors with a few bean bags and look at what they can do better.

Reply #801619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If BSA get rid of the one constant in their last 6 years of saga's the sport in this state would be far better off.

Reply #801620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know it will cost money, but they should get an outside consultant to do a review. See whats working and what isn't. But get the feedback from stakeholders and members, not just within BSA. Apart from stadiums which now are mainly not owned by BSA, what would the normal fan find wrong with the service.
My thoughts are the inconsistency, especially with referees. Give proper feedback. Referee of the year a few years ago was one of worst in communicating with coaches, he may know the rules but communication should be a part of it. And I think all clubs publicise that bad behaviour isn't tolerated, why not start really coming down on it.
Fixtures isn't easy, but surely at that stage of the season there should be a lot of help. Have one person overseeing it and get others to help.
Again, not a parent, but a lot of state selections are mainly due to politics, whos at what club. Get some independent people involved.
Better strategies of getting girls involved.
Keeping clubs in line, not some getting different treatment.
In future getting more and better facilities.

Reply #801630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone tell me why BSA cancelled state champs? Wait until the last minute. I understand why they cancelled NBL1. There are fixed costs and a rampup time needed but there was NO reason to cancel state champs.

Those in positions of power at BSA and clubs for that matter have no care for the sport or those that truly resource the sport. To them it's a job. They are going to make an absolute mess of this and have been doing so already.

Reply #801636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um, they cancelled due to the Corana virus...

Reply #801637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State Champs could have been delayed. There was a time we played the Tournament in October. Would be a good way to come back with a mini-Winter Season followed by a State Championship at the end of the basketball year for a change.

To say they'd try run a State League but just cancel State Champs is proof that BSA and many clubs don't want to run the event in the first place.

Reply #801640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's something to raise with BSA as per this post. Definitely have it as summer lead in with this year's teams

Reply #801646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone else concerned that at this very critical time for the sport and the governing body that it appears BSA is at its most unskilled time in its history between Governing Body and Management?

Hardly any basketball people involved in the Commission, CEO has shown no interest in the sport just cut cut cut. Another exodus of staff, kids are running the game right now.

Reply #801650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did they cancel State Champs? They just cancelled the Olympics you moron. Maybe have a reality check dude!

Reply #801652 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

What do you expect BSA to do??
State Champs?
NBL1?

How can they be fun when business' are closing down.
Shops and pubs and theatres are closing, but it’s BSAs fault for no basketball.
AFL, NBL, NRL are much bigger operations but not operating now.
If they kept things going, they would be shitcanned for no responsibility of care.

Give BSA a break

Reply #801661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an interesting one. We out there know BSA's woes, inefficiency and capabilities from top to bottom. I think it is likely that as Govt restrictions are lifted locally based, community based competitions independent of BSA will quickly begin to popup.

In my experience BSA truly believe their main stakeholders are themselves. They are totally out of touch with the basketball community at all levels. If BSA does not become better in all areas the modern age that will come out of this will mean they are even less relevant or valued to who their stakeholders should be.

Reply #801722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Clubs were looking for something to do both from Admin to Committees, now would be the perfect time to work out the way to take over Adelaide comps

Reply #801730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#722 BA (Basketball Australia not Basketball Adelaide) will not endorse any organisation other than BSA so you can rant all you like but BSA will continue to remain relevant. It's pretty simple.

Reply #801738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well #738, it's time we let Basketball Australia know what little opinion us as stakeholders have in bsa. Or let bsa know themselves. With this virus basically wiping out nearly the whole district competition they need the clubs United and not come in with their inept management. Time to wipe the slate clean.

Reply #801743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha good luck. BAust are not going to endorse BAdelaide so enjoy that pipe dream.

Reply #801747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Basketball Adelaide pulled out of Basketball SA it would go broke within 3 months. Basketball Australia would then have no option hit to accept a full restructure.

Reply #801751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If BSA said we're recommending in June but clubs turn around and say, nah, we're going to sit out till you get your shit right, what are they going to do. Be like government not having tax payers. Clubs will be struggling anyway, if they can get fees paid just to train at least, screw BSA.
Saw North are trying to collect fees, if I was parents wouldn't be paying till some idea if there was going to be season. What are they going to do, not let kids train or play till fees are up to date.

Reply #801755 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just a correction to above - North posted reminding that summer season training fees are now due. Have not asked anything about winter season payments.

Reply #801763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood asked for pre payment of winter fees, donations, sports vouchers

Reply #801765 | Report this post

NBL1 Central  
Years ago

I don't understand all the angst against BSA. My understanding is that there has been a new CEO over the last couple of years who has worked hard at improving the relationships between BSA and the clubs/associations. I was told that there was some issues going back a few years but that more recently it has been more positive. I know there are issues with some of the stadiums in terms of maintenance (lack of) and aircon but these would seem to be challenging issues when BSA doesn't own the stadiums. In terms of people at BSA I thought that most of the staff are relatively new so they shouldn't have prior bias. If you look at their website BSA are in a relatively strong financial situation after what I would assume is a lot of hard work over the last couple of years - this financial situation should mean that BSA and the clubs can work together to get thru 2020. The comments read on this topic as though we have a "few" disgruntled people who would NOT give credit to BSA no matter what they did.

Reply #801782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies for the North comment, obviously didn't read it correctly.

Reply #801787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the CEO hasn't gotten rid of the person all those concerns are targeted at then they might not be able to placate the clubs. Hence why the club threatened the withdrawal from the competitons .

Reply #801795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm interested in what positive action the new CEO has taken to change BSA for the better?

I've heard a lot of negatives, I'm open to hearing the otherside if anyone can share some tangible changes he's made?

Reply #801888 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:09 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754