Anonymous
Years ago

Lamelo Ball Buys Hawks

The Title says it all
Melo came and took over the organization, will see 3 import friends of his on the team next year ... team might be a lot different next season !

Ball, who is in Chino Hills, California, preparing for the draft with his brothers Lonzo and LiAngelo, hopes to use the purchase as an avenue to connect with his many young fans who supported him in his time in Australia and to give back to the basketball community, Jackson said. Ball previously donated a month of his NBL salary to the victims of the Australian bushfire.

"When Melo wants to do stuff in the summertime, we'll be there," Jackson said. "We'll take a tour with his family all over Australia, doing basketball camps and connecting with the youth. He wants to inspire the next generation.

Topic #47117 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

You're a day late.

Reply #802308 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28987001/lamelo-ball-manager-purchase-austalian-nbl-team?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Doesn't seem to be an article from 1st April

Reply #802309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may have cost $1.00

Reply #802310 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Great news if it gives the club space to be able to do what is needed, would rather see the Hawks still in the league

Reply #802311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL knocked back another owners bid for the Hawks due to conflict of interest....which is funny considering the league owner also has a stake in a team!

Reply #802313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is pocket change for melo. The show pony he purchased probably cost more.

Reply #802314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So amazing, turns out he is a nice guy

Reply #802315 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Please tell me I wasn't the only one who woke up to this and thought "This is one late April Fools joke."

I wonder how the organisation will be run from here. Seems like another Breakers-type outfit (American influences all through it, which may go against the values of Illawarra). What if Big Baller Brand is the noteworthy sponsor?

Reply #802317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL would like to clarify the current situation regarding LaMelo Ball and the Illawarra Hawks.

The league can confirm LaMelo Ball and his management had discussions about being involved with the club while he was playing in the NBL last season.

At this point we are continuing to work with current licence holder Simon Stratford on a number of options for what we hope will be a fruitful outcome for Illawarra and the NBL.

The NBL has final approval on any transfer of licence and no application has been made to date. The NBL has no further comment at this stage.

Reply #802318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol @ Koberulz.

Reply #802319 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

If he does buy the Hawks licence, do you think those who complained he left without saying good-bye will be grateful he has given them a lifeline?

Reply #802320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably saw it on Marketplace. Description : For Sale, Original NBL franchise, well worn, renovators dream. Doesn't come with extra features like similar models. All offers considered.

Reply #802324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Melo loves the Illawarra fans," Jackson told ESPN. "He loves that community. They opened their arms to him. They made us feel like we are at home. When we started hearing about the issues they were going through, we talked about it and decided, 'Let's own the team.'

"He is going to be locked into his NBA career, but we are going to hire the right people to oversee everything. He wants to create the best basketball program possible for that community there."

Great to hear

Reply #802325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"When Melo wants to do stuff in the summertime, we'll be there," Jackson said. "We'll take a tour with his family all over Australia, doing basketball camps and connecting with the youth. He wants to inspire the next generation.

Great to see

Reply #802326 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

There is going to be a lot of disappointed people in this thread over the next week or so........

Reply #802327 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

"He loves the Illawarra Community"

Yet he leaves without even saying good bye. Maybe he just didn't like his team mates.

The NBL states no application has been made for a license transfer to date.

Reply #802334 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Going to ask this again for clarification.

Is this actually true, or a late AFD gag?

Reply #802337 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The ESPN article confirming Ball has already purchased the Hawks, and the NBL statement saying he hasn't even applied, are both genuine.

Reply #802338 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I thought it must be an April fools joke misinterpreted by US media as fact due to the time difference. The NBL statement doesn't really quash the story either, just that NBL hasn't sanctioned any change in ownership. A deal may have been struck already between Ball and the Hawks owners that hasn't yet been passed on to the NBL.

If it's true, it's such an audacious move for a kid that it brings a smile, so let's forget the consequences of having an 18-year-old US-based owner that is likely to pass on decision-making to his controversial father and the inevitable nepotism that goes with it.

Reply #802346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Titke is wrong. PLease correct it.

Reply #802348 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #802349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball 25%, two or three others. I'm hear a local Aussie businessman wants 51% to have final say.

Reply #802350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL wrote into Lamelo's contract that Lamar was to have nothing to do with his stint at the Hawks hence why he was never here. Ain’t no way they are going to allow Lamar to become an owner or at the very least the person making public decisions and comment. As stated above in this thread April fools was a few days ago.

Reply #802351 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Dafuq is Lamar?

Reply #802356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dafuq is Lovebroker?

Reply #802358 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The NBL wrote into Lamelo's contract that Lamar was to have nothing to do with his stint at the Hawks hence why he was never here.

Pretty sure I remember seeing Heal interview Lavar at a Hawks game this season.

Reply #802360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodbye to Flynn and several players.

Reply #802362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

>Pretty sure I remember seeing Heal interview Lavar at a Hawks game this season.

I wonder who rigged the meat tray raffle

Reply #802365 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The radio woke me up and the news was his agent confirmed he's bought them

Reply #802367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks are already a basketcase. Even if LaMelo (or his team) don't really know how to run a team, it can't get much worse, can it?

Reply #802369 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not sure this pressuring of LK via the media is a great way to get their offer accepted.

Reply #802370 | Report this post

Hoops Flog  
Years ago

LK would let melo do whatever he wants to keep him in the nbl in some capacity

Reply #802372 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

^ agree.

Reply #802373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal never interviewed Lavar

Reply #802375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac was trying to prank us.

Reply #802376 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Heal might not have been the one who interviewed him courtside at a Hawks game but he most certainly was in the Gong.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6344868/inside-lavar-balls-first-week-in-wollongong-its-very-aussie/

So stop lying with BS like this:

The NBL wrote into Lamelo's contract that Lamar was to have nothing to do with his stint at the Hawks hence why he was never here.

Reply #802378 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

Watch Ball in the Family on Facebook- Lavar visits Illawarra a few times and does a popup shop last Dec in the Gong too!

Reply #802379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoughts LoveBroker?

Reply #802380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down Zoe Diac.

Reply #802381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal certainly did interview Ball senior.

This has all got to be approved by nbl, it'll be 25% stake. I’m still of belief that it’s a long way from happening but hoping it does, be fantastic for nbl.

Reply #802382 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I saw a clip on YouTube saying that they will likely bring in a head coach that has won at every level and that they will talk to several players about playing NBL over College and former NBA players

Reply #802383 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

Lamelo will buy the Hawks

Reply #802386 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Whose money is LaMelo using to buy the Hawks? He hasn't been drafted yet! Surely his brother wouldn’t be stupid enough to burn his money on an NBL team?

Reply #802394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't on the NBL coverage so maybe re-adjust your BS. Lavar was not involved in any official NBL activity. Sorry

Reply #802401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be an absolute circus and coming from a family that epically failed with BBB, good on the NBL for stepping in. Liangelo would've been signed and a puppet coach installed, if not Lavar himself. Use it for a year then dump it just like Lamelo did when he knew he was a top draft pick and just left without saying goodbye to teammates. Toxic family and worse business people.

Reply #802402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noticed Melo has shared about 10 posts on his Instagram story congratulating him on buying the team. I understand his cronies bragging about something that hasn't happened yet, but for him to share himself there must be some truth to it.

Reply #802403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly, highly doubt lamelo would even know how his credit card is paid, let alone being involved more than just his name being used to buy an nbl team.....

Reply #802405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure has has little money and almost gusranteed he won't be #1 draft pick. Never heard so much shit. The gullible want to beleive it, yet the NBL say at this stage has been no recent talks. Someone is flat out lying.

Reply #802410 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Lavar is worth about 5 million dollars. Maybe he loaned him some money? Part of a BBB endorsement?

Reply #802414 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/this-is-a-sideshow-ball-s-hawks-link-won-t-distract-kings-owner-from-game-s-key-issues-20200403-p54gwy.html

Reply #802422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Heal never interviewed Lavar"

I also saw the interview.
It was courtside and it was definitely Shane Heal interviewing Lavar Ball

Reply #802426 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Fake news

Reply #802430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then you should be able to produce said interview with a link then

Reply #802431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So mate, $5mill is about 1/2 a seasons worth. Checkenfeed in the LKNBL.

"News Corp Australia can reveal that NBL officials aren't convinced with Ball’s contribution in a consortium bid alongside former Wollongong Wolves football backer Tory Lavelle."

Reply #802434 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I saw the Heal interview as well. Trust me it happened!

Reply #802435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LiAngelo would be better than that bum import they had in the second half of this season. Hobson I think was his name.

Reply #802437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now the truth comes out. Change to title please to the correct one. LaMelo doesn't buy Hawks.

"A "miscommunication" was behind incorrect claims that NBA draft candidate LaMelo Ball had taken ownership of NBL club Illawarra Hawks.

Long-time Illawarra businessman and team sponsor Tory Lavalle released a statement on Friday to Illawarra media saying that the way he has communicated developments to Ball's manager Jermaine Jackson led to the misunderstanding they had secured the franchise.

Jackson subsequently told ESPN about the deal and revealed plans to bring in former NBA executives and coaches to lead the franchise and make it a destination for future NBA draft picks who don't want to play as amateurs in the US college system.

"Yesterday there were media reports stating LaMelo and Jermaine had taken over the Hawks. Unfortunately those reports were due to how I communicated with LaMelo and Jermaine," Lavalle said in his statement.
"For this, I unreservedly apologise to LaMelo and Jermaine.
"However, I can assure the Illawarra Hawks supporters and the general basketball community that a consortium involving myself, LaMelo Ball and Jermaine Jackson remain very interested in discussing future possibilities and opportunities to retain a team in the Illawarra.

"Those discussions are continuing.

"Our only interest and motivation is to ensure the long-term future of the Illawarra Hawks and for the team to be based right here in the Illawarra."

Reply #802450 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What clowns lol Their bush league attempt to strong arm LK into accepting their bid was always going to see them eat crow.

Reply #802454 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I saw the Heal interview as well. Trust me it happened!

It sure did - I distinctly remember hitting the mute button.

Reply #802455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no link then

Reply #802456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every one saw Heal interview with Balls old man.

If the local businessman gets 51% and the ball mob 49% surely that's a win for the nbl. Ball publicity but not control seems win, win to me.

Reply #802457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

local bussiesman his the money Ball is the name

Reply #802458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So still no link nor round where Heal interviewed Lavar at a hawks game. Oh I'm convinced it happened. #fakenews

Reply #802462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So LK to own yet another team! Awesome

Reply #802463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It happened, it was at Wollongong.

Reply #802465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can see superstars and retired players that earned cash buying overseas teams, but a kid that hasn't been drafted.
Haven't heard much from Lavar since Lonzo went to Pelicans, remember when every day he was making headlines with crazy shit. How much money do you think he cost Lonzo in shoe deal, tens of millions. While he was having a decent year it looks like he will just be that, a decent player and will never be in a position like he was when getting drafted. If Melo invests his money into Hawks and turns out like his brother and is just decent player, what a waste of money. Why not wait for a big contact before spending it.
Very convenient how this has all come out now, no way Ball was going to invest, fake news.

Reply #802466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If LK allows the cheapness of the Ball family to get involved then the NBl is stuffed. The fake news story that we have here is exactly the reason they should not be involved in any shareholder ownership. Some idiot sait "Oh he's worth $5mill." Clearly they know nothing about how much it cost to run and NBL team and still lose money.

Reply #802468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#465 he only played up until round 9 so that game shouldn't be hard to find should it

Reply #802478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares about the interview. Seriously get back on topic. Please correct the title too Isaac.

Reply #802482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the topic then? He didn't buy the Hawks. Do you need the title changed because you're easily confused?

Reply #802488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you read and comprehend the title?

Reply #802507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I can read the title. It did he bought the Hawks.

The subsequent posts show that he didnt buy the Hawks.

Why do you need the title changed? How will that help you?

Reply #802522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would have thought that Balls agent and his team just simply blowing smoke...bit like his game all flash and no cash!

Reply #802524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to run a book on what number will LaMelo go in the draft. Anywhere between 5 and 100.

Reply #802539 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:16 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754