Anonymous
Years ago

WA SBL - April 2020 + COVID Shutdown

New thread for April.

With the SBL on hold until May at the very least, do the SBL follow the lead of the NBA and have a short period of training/pre-season before starting games back up?

The way things are looking in WA with how COVID19 is being managed we may return to some level of normality at a local level before other states.

will games start back up with or without fans?

Do any kind of games start back up if the regional borders are still closed but local stadiums re-open?

Topic #47148 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask Koberulz.

Reply #803002 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I wonder it SBL counts as work for the purposes of regional travel.

It's going to be tight, at best. Someone got infected yesterday and they weren't sure how; if they can't track that down quickly (and they may have already, I haven't seen anything either way) then we're potentially in a lot of trouble.

I also don't think SBL will be one of the first things reopened, and we aren't likely to see things reopen before mid May at the earliest. So I would lean at this stage in the direction of the season being called off - I definitely can't see another postponement.

Reply #803004 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I can't see the league playing in any capacity this year. At the moment borders are closed and stadiums are closed, and neither of those will be open until at least June. And even that is extremely unlikely.

Fully professionally leagues like the AFL and NRL have the resources and flexibility to play their seasons 'out of season'. e.g. October/November etc. That is not an option for the SBL. If any games are played this year, they would have to be in the June/July/August window and no later.

I'm pretty sure the SBL will officially cancel the 2020 season altogether in early/mid May.

Reply #803017 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The state government is planning their next big review of restrictions for the beginning of May, the result of which should give us a pretty clear picture so we'll get either a definite yes or a definite no by mid May, yeah. I expect the latter at this stage; I think we'd have to see new infections cut off completely in the next two weeks for anything else.

Reply #803019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't the season run later than August?

Reply #803020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Traditionally state leagues don't normally go past August so that they don't clash with NBL.
The NBL itself could start later. Right now it's anyones guess.

Reply #803021 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm expecting a delayed start to the NBL season, yeah. But honestly, this thing changes so quickly - Tasmania went from "it's pretty much fine here" to "we are completely screwed" in the space of the last 24 hours - that making predictions for six months out is largely a waste of time.

Reply #803022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball in Victoria earliest restart date as it stands is 31st May with a May 11th review date. Not sure we will see any basketball this winter and they will just restart with Summer

Reply #803051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the thing with national competitions is that they require travel inter-state and at the moment there are states handling it far better than others. WA is in one of the better faring states at this point in time.

is there any possibility restrictions are lifted at a state level that would allow regional travel within the state whilst borders to other states remained closed?
Is it possible stadiums in WA reopen before other states do? or is this controlled at a federal level?

Reply #803101 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

is there any possibility restrictions are lifted at a state level that would allow regional travel within the state whilst borders to other states remained closed?
There is a 100% chance of this, the only question is when.

Is it possible stadiums in WA reopen before other states do? or is this controlled at a federal level?
Even if the decision is made at the federal level, I would imagine they would take each state's situation into account and adjust accordingly.

Reply #803107 | Report this post

Dodgy  
Years ago

Anyone else trying to work out when KR became the self appointed know it all for covid 19? You seem to have as much knowledge of it as D Trump. Stay in your lane there fella. We are flattening the curve, but we still have flu season ahead of us when typically immune systems take a battering. No SBL or WABL this season is no great loss if we get some kind of normality back early next year. Otherwise the risk is too great to rapidly turn into an Italy or New York. Have patience, ride this thing on out until it's all but over and look forward to the 2021 season(s). Anything else at this point is just selfish and foolish.

Reply #803151 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Anyone else trying to work out when KR became the self appointed know it all for covid 19? You seem to have as much knowledge of it as D Trump. Stay in your lane there fella.
March 13th, when I was among the first calling for the doors to be closed on game two of the grand final and for the introduction of restrictions that came into place over the few days following that.

But sure, let's take a look at some of my overly know-it-all posts in this thread, which you assert are far too confident of the season going ahead, and contain phrases like:
I wonder if

It's going to be tight, at best.

we're potentially in a lot of trouble.

also don't think SBL will be one of the first things reopened

I would lean at this stage in the direction of the season being called off

I'm expecting a delayed start to the NBL season

Yeah, I should really stop using such know-it-all phrases as "I think" and "I wonder" and "potentially", and being so gung-ho about getting back to normal as to predict...the cancellation of the SBL season.

Reading comprehension is important.

Reply #803152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you mess with Koberulz anons, he will demolish you.
Knows more than Albert Einstein this fella.

Reply #803153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoops' lord and saviour Koberulz

Reply #803163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what makes you think Koberulz is a he?

Reply #803390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the 1-2 punch of arrogance and hostility is rare in females so its a pretty safe bet I reckon

Reply #803391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Domestic is priority #1
WABL Priority #2

if the current flattening continues the best guess is play Domestic and WABL in July when school goes back term 3.

best guess for SBL given it needs crowds to cover costs ... ummmm

Reply #803864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well given there will be no imports for SBL if it were to proceed this year, it will not be as costly for clubs, So crowd income not as important this year, so hopefully there is a chance to play ......

Reply #803869 | Report this post

Scrote  
Years ago

WABL will be very important for all clubs revenue. Domestic too if the clubs benefit - but not all do. Some clubs may struggle to survive this winter.

Reply #803877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whilst imports do bear a significant cost to clubs and by not having them here will save some money, many of the clubs had already outlayed considerable amounts and with no way to cover or recoup that spend.
it costs roughly $2k to fly one out and back home. Add in visa costs, accommodation costs and other incidentals, it adds up.

A number of clubs had 2 mens and 2 womens imports already out.

for me the other expense is the licence. from memory its about $100k per year? is this something that needs to be paid up front? are there any concessions provided clubs on this license for 2020?

Reply #803881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1992 WSBL semi-finals, does anyone know if the Wolves had a team forfeit against them perhaps in Game 2?

There were 20 regular season games, with the Wolves playing 22 games in total with 1 of those being the GF.

Reply #804012 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Reply #804056 | Report this post

Dodgy  
Years ago

Totally agree Dave. Couldn't have said it better myself

Reply #804060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone seen or heard from Lako since he departed Redbacks HC gig?

Reply #804276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone doing anything different for their members now we probs won't have SBL??

Lotterywest throwing $$ at innovative clubs with a unique approach

Reply #804658 | Report this post

Dear Coach Connolly

Just thought I'd provide an off-season physique update on some of the leagues biggest mass monsters.

J Rod Holmes
Thick and dense as ever, rumor has it J Rod's routine of squathros and knuckle push ups has him juiced to the freaking gills. Look for another season of pound town from this big whopper.

Visko
The gym closures have allegedly heavily impacted the Croatian puma. His arms are smaller, his chest is inverted and his legs are fitting in his XXS Trinity trackies and overall he's just an gawking little dodo bird trying to find mummy.

Gingey Jules
Jules was very upset about his ranking in SBL physique of the year. He has been pounding the push ups as hard as he pounds the swipe right feature on Tinder. Reports out of the Den are Jules should have been reported for breaching his quarantine, because this cougar was on the prowl.

The GodFry
Ryans routine of bicep curl, tricep extension, bicep curl, tricep extension, bicep curl, tricep extension, bicep curl, bicep curp, bicep curl, is going strong.

The Big Saffa Noordhoeek
The supplement stores are essential in big Haydes opinion, and he has doubled the creatine in take to give him that bloated puffy hoover damn look. Look out for Hayds to come into the season shredded out of his marbles.

Purser
Purser looks down from his 12 hour billables and stretches those resistance bands. In Pursers own words "I might look relaxed, but I am always tensed"

Reply #804806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About as funny as a fourth quarter grand final timeout featuring Ben Etterige in recent years. Expect following the Basketball Australia meetings this week the official announcement that sbl will be canceled for this year, with wabl set to get underway mid July on the proviso we don't see any new mass notifications of covid cases back in the state. I have it on good word that the wabl season will conclude late November, with no state championships

Reply #804814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if AFL, NRL, and WAFL etc are looking to come back this year (June/July), why wouldn't SBL try to come back in some form, even if shortened season (no imports to pay etc), pretty sure the players would want to play.

Reply #804815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^. The Refs are too lazy.

Reply #804837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #805512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can all the SBL players just play D league then if no SBL season lol

Reply #805545 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

2020 D League was canceled over a month ago. Get with the times there buddy

Reply #805581 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No SBL or D League this year. WABL will start late and finish late. If there is any SBL competition it will likely feature all teams except Gero and Kal. BWA to release this in the next week or so.

Reply #805599 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So there won't be SBL but there will be SBL without the regional teams?

Reply #805603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Kobe, because there won't be rego fees for clubs, all played in one venue similar to a rec league and no imports

Reply #805609 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Might not be worth it for Gero and kal to come to perth each week to play. if their borders don't open soon they cant play anyway

Reply #805633 | Report this post

Caleb Lee  
Years ago

I am the biggest basketball player in Perth, change my mind.

Reply #805644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBL season is happening have faith

Reply #805658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ aged well

Reply #805727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBL season cancelled in 2020, officially.

Reply #805728 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Faith no more.

Reply #805729 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's sad it happened and it's a shame

Reply #805730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

word is there will be a 12 week mini season with clubs?

not officially SBL but with players who would generally play SBL??

Reply #805962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league will provide something that resembles a compressed format at some stage to fill the void. Not all clubs will participate.

Reply #805977 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Seems all clubs are participating, as just announced. 10-week season starting July 24.

Reply #808036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No info in the announcement regarding if those imports that have stayed are allowe dot play e.g. Isenbarger. If they relax the rules and allow some imports its a bit weird

Reply #808037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports allowed ???

Reply #808041 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

2020 West Coast Classic to fill the void of cancelled SBL season.

Basketball WA in consultation with all SBL clubs is excited to unveil the all new West Coast Classic, 2020 WA State Amateur Competition.

The 10-week competition will include all 12 Women's SBL teams and all 14 Men’s SBL teams, including regional clubs, the Geraldton Buccaneers, South West Slammers & Goldfields Giants.

"The clubs have all embraced this opportunity to get back on the court and engage our basketball community" said SBL General Manager, Adam Bowler.

“Basketball WA appreciates the cooperation from our clubs to navigate the financial and logistical difficulties to support the return of basketball. This support has ensured our regional clubs who have competed in the SBL for over 30 years can continue to be involved.

“The West Coast Classic will offer development opportunities for our athletes, coaches and officials while supporting their mental and physical health during this uncertain time. It is important that we provide our basketball community the chance to reconnect and we know basketball plays an important role in this.”

The competition will tip-off on July 24, with all teams to play each another once in a home and away fixture. The top 4 teams following the regular season will compete in Semi-Finals and Grand Finals between Friday 25 September and Sunday 27 September.

Further information and fixtures to be announced at www.sbl.asn.au.

12 June 2020

END

Reply #808043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact that is says amatuer league should mean there are no imports and it a should also mean there are no paid players imo.

Reply #808049 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

Imports allowed if they have been in WA this whole time.
Teams can pay players if they choose. Seems odd there's not a concrete rule for this saying yes or no?

Reply #808052 | Report this post

Mic Drop  
Years ago

Told ya there would be a season

Reply #808057 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754