Perthworld
Years ago

Jordan documentary: The Last Dance

ESPN's Michael Jordan documentary "The Last Dance" will debut on April 19 at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN.

The 10-part documentary series takes an in-depth look at the the Chicago Bulls' dynasty through the lens of the final championship season in 1997-98. The Bulls allowed an NBA Entertainment crew to follow the team around for that entire season, and some of that never-before-seen footage will be featured in the documentary.

In addition, ESPN spoke to more than 100 people close to the team and personalities who experienced the run, exploring all angles of the Jordan phenomenon.

The full episodic documentary will air on ESPN in the U.S. and on Netflix outside of the U.S.

Finally the GOAT is being showcased "30 for 30" style.

Australian broadcast is on Netflix starting April 20: https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80203144

Topic #47152 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perffffffwurld baby!

Reply #803209 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Finally the GOAT is being showcased

Yes, will be good to see Luc get the recognition he deserves

Reply #803211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 episodes. Wow. This thing is going to be draaaawwwwwwnnnnnn out. Could be cool though.

Reply #803258 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

*Jordan Rides the Bus*

Reply #803309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yawn.

Reply #803311 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Jordan Rides the Bus

... which was about Jordan in a completely different sport.

This is finally about _GOAT Jordan_ and the season in which he won his sixth ring.

Reply #803320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How else to watch if I dont have Netflix?
Is it on foxtel or ESPN

Reply #803332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if it's going to tarnish Jordan for a lot of people who don't know his personality, word is it doesn't make him look great

Reply #803344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think most people who would watch this documentary would be well aware of what kind of person/leader Jordan was. Between The Jordan Rules book, breaking Kwame Brown, tales from ex-teammates, the gambling scandal, his Hall of Fame speech, a more complete picture of Jordan has been out there for a long time. It probably hasn't been since the early or mid 90s that everyone thought he was a cute and cuddly, wonderful person who was heaps of fun to be around.

Reply #803382 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Jordan has been doing media this week for the documentary series before its premiere so I don't think it will be too scathing of him.

Reply #803430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

T minus 2 hours and counting

Reply #803639 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Scottie who?

Reply #803645 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Watched first two episodes and thought they were great. Highly recommended to anyone with even a passing interest in basketball, but especially to all who grew up in that 90s NBA mania.

Reply #803686 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Saw first episode last night. Loving it.

I was in primary school when Jordan was in his prime, although I've heard and read enough to realise how great he is.

This doco is reminding me of much of the information I've heard through the years and tying it into a well-told story.

For example, while I remember reading about "the shot"- I'd forgotten he was playing against Patrick Ewing. I grew up a Knicks fan before my trip to San Antonio in 2001 where I switched to the Spurs, and Ewing was the first jersey I had.

Reply #803688 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Although, while reminding me how great Jordan is, I'm also realising how great Pippen is.

Pippen made the all NBA first team in 93-94 and 94-95, and finished 3rd and 7th in the MVP in those two years respectively. Finishing ahead of guys like Malone, Ewing and Barkley in 1994.

I think this shows how great Pippen was.

Lebron's never had anyone alongside him as good as Pippen. He's never had a duo as good as Pippen and Rodman.

And he's never had a trio as great as Pippen, Rodman, Harper.

When you think about what these guys did outside of Jordan's time, you realise how good they wouldv'e been (again I talk from stats etc not watching) but Harper averaged 19 points, 5 assists over 8 seasons with Clippers and Cleveland before joining Chicago. Then after Jordan's time, he was the starting poing guard on two Lakers championships.

Then Steve Kerr who played that famous cameo in the Spurs playoff run in 2003.

Essentially, Jordan was surrounded by quality. Lebron has never had similar, so I think it's unfair when people say "6 championships to 3!" as if that settles the argument.

I do think Jordan is definitely greater than Lebron, but at the same time, you have to admit he had better teammates around him.

Reply #803690 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh and it's a shame this season is cancelled for Lebron too, cos the Lakers have been my title tip since Day 1.

And with Anthony Davis alongside him, Lebron really needed to him if he wanted to maintain hope of a Jordan comparison.

Now that Lebron's been stripped of one of his best opportunities to win a title, it muddies the comparison a little.

Reply #803691 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

LV - Wade, Bosh, Love, Kyrie, AD... some decent names right there (especially the first 2).

LeBron has had stars with him along the way.

Reply #803693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lebron's never had anyone alongside him as good as Pippen. He's never had a duo as good as Pippen and Rodman.

And he's never had a trio as great as Pippen, Rodman, Harper."

What?

Reply #803695 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

DWade, Bosh, Irving, Love are some pretty damn fine names to play alongside. Add in AD to that now.

LeBron could have had more successful years prior to Miami Heat days, if he had stayed the hell away from trying to be GM and Coach - he forced their hand on doing some absolutely crap contracts.

He doesn't have the patience for the getting the right pieces so his solution was to join a good situation instead.

Reply #803696 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wade started declining around 2012 ish

So LeBron had a true superstar next to him for maybe 2 years.

I don't rate Kyrie in the same conversation.

Bosh and Love decent number 3s. But they played their whole careers in losing teams before joining LeBron.

It's one thing putting up numbers on losing teams and making All Star teams, but Rodman led the league in rebounding 7 years in a row, and 7 time All Defensive teamer. Played on successful teams. I don't think the value that Kevin Love or Bosh brings is as important as Rodman.

Or at least that's my inkling anyway

And who was the number 4 guy in Miami? Mario Chalmers! Is he remotely comparable to Ron Harper?

Reply #803697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And who was the number 4 guy in Miami?

Ray Allen.

It doesn't matter whether you don't rate Wade as highly as Pippen (no one would) but its all relative. When Lebron and Wade joined forces, you had two top 5 players at the time on the same team. Add Bosh to the mix and you've probably got three top ten. Not that much different to the Bulls.

Reply #803698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan didn't jump ship to win a title. Bulls drafted Pippen out of Central Arkansas and made a player out of him. Shit he started as a Div 2 college equipment manager. Those first 3 titles were just pure Jordan

Reply #803700 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah no doubt LeBron Miami years were a disappointment as a whole.

This is why Jordan is the true GOAT. He had the real killer instinct that LeBron lacks. Jordan winning two three peats, and so easily, is super super impressive no matter who he had next to him.

LeBron was matched by Kawhi in the Finals and his team destroyed in 2014.

And he failed to win in 2011 with real prime Wade

Reply #803702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are you talking to?

Reply #803706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the biggest shock for me is learning that LV is more than 30 years old

Reply #803709 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Who are you talking to?]

Whoever's listening, and whoever wants to discuss the GOAT

It's natural that when discussing the GOAT, the greatest since the GOAT, or the greatest of the 21st century, will come up

Reply #803710 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[the biggest shock for me is learning that LV is more than 30 years old]

Ha, with several years to spare

I'm probably one of the true veterans here. Started posting on Ozhoops in 2001 or 2002

Reply #803711 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Just wish MJ didn't leave to play baseball and the Bulls never got broken up for his 2nd retirement, MJ would arguably have at least another 2 titles (no way were Houston going to beat them) maybe more and this whole MJ vs Lebron argument would never have to take place.

Reply #803714 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I don't really think it's an argument, Jordan is clearly better.

Lebron has been lucky to even win 3 titles in many ways.

2013 they won game 6 after the ropes were already getting placed around the court. The trophy was there, ready for the Spurs.

2016 yes, he beat the 73-9 Warriors from 3-1 down but he was helped immensely by Bogut's injury and Green's suspension, allowing him to attack the hoop and dominate those last 3 games.

But Lebron is still the greatest since Jordan, I don't think anyone should doubt that.

Reply #803721 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And you compare that to Jordan and how he dominated.

I still remember, although I was young, hearing they beat Utah 96-54.

54 points in a finals game. That's just nuts. Bulls just had the killer instinct.

Reply #803722 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why do we keep using team stats to assess individual talent?

Reply #803723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone called koberulz should be staying out of a discussion about who is the GOAT

Reply #803725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They interview Mills?

Reply #803732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which one - Terry or Chris?

Reply #803735 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"I don't really think it's an argument, Jordan is clearly better. "

I agree, but it clearly is an argument across generations and every basketball analyst show that exists...

Reply #803743 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The analysts and the fans need something to talk about.

Here's an interesting bit of history.

1994 NBA All Star game- the first season of Jordan's baseball retirement.

The Eastern Conference All Stars had SEVEN first time All Stars.

None of these 7 ever made the All Star team again.

Starters:

BJ Armstrong - Chicago
Derrick Coleman- NJ
Kenny Anderson- NJ

Bench:

John Starks - NY
Horace Grant- Chi
Mookie Blaylock- ATL
Charles Oakley - NY

But the East still won, with Pippen the MVP.

Reply #803745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pippen was the glue guy,
Jordan, Lebron, how do you compare different eras, both sensational. Imo I've always loved the way Lebron has done it.

Reply #803748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LeBron played in a weaker east. On average every season East teams won 37.5 games a season. In the Jordan Era that increased to 41.5. LeBron's numbers are great but he played against weaker teams for longer with far more favourable offensive rules.

Reply #803750 | Report this post

Will  
Years ago

Hi All,

If you would love to listen and learn more about The Last Dance, please check out our podcast- Hoops Fix.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/970150

BSA have created this podcast and this episode breaks down more of what we have seen and heard in the first 2 instalments...

Topics discussed:

Time shifting of storyline
Jerry (Krause & Reinsdorf)
How Super Teams of Today have learned from the 97-98 Bulls?
Bad suits & bloodshot eyes...
Coach-player relationships
Competitive mindset
Jordan's college days, coaches and nba draft
Team culture-
Pippen on strike...
George Raveling
Phil Rodman (not Dennis-well, Dennis too!)

Thank you,

Will.

Reply #803752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You lost me when you started talking about how good Ron Harper is.

Reply #803753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron is the GOAT.

Weak east argument is a weak argument. Lebron's winning records in the regular season have come against in both east and west. All roads lead to the strongest of the west in the finals and Lebron has got it done there. Now that he’s in the West no one speaks of weak east.

Jordan played against cab drivers. Lebron is playing against teams that are better than the 90s bulls. The warriors are the most stacked team in history. Incredibly stacked. Let’s put lebrons best opponent '10’s warriors’ against ‘90’s Jazz’. It’s not even close.

Lebron is the most dynamic

Reply #803754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You lost me when you started talking about how good Ron Harper is."

Harper was a quality player before injuries took their toll.

"Lebron is playing against teams that are better than the 90s bulls"

Hahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Reply #803755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe Bryant on the GOAT Debate: "We can enjoy one without tearing down one. Don't debate what can’t be definitely won by anyone."

Reply #803756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#754 what a clown
All roads lead to the strongest in the West and he has got the job done. Dude is 3-5. Great job. LeBron lost to Steph and Klay. Jordan went up against 4 hall of famers. Talk about delusional millennials.

Reply #803757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In 2011 the East averaged 31 wins as a conference. The same year Wade's 27 ppg carried LeBum to his first title.

Reply #803758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3-5 is also a weak argument. How many times did Jordan not even get there. Bounced out of the first round

Reply #803759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And putting it as 'Lebron lost to Steph and klay' haha. No he beat the best team of all time 73-9.

Haha ‘just Steph and Klay’

Reply #803760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Millennials. LeBron played no one and lost. He lost by scoring 8 points on JJ Barea. And you do know he lost to Steph and Klay before Durant arrived!! Smh

Reply #803761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" In 2011 the East averaged 31 wins as a conference. The same year Wade's 27 ppg carried LeBum to his first title."

Yep he carried the guy who got a finals mvp, mvp and Olympic ring all in the same year LMFAO.

Read above. News item: east teams play west teams in the regular season and end up playing the best of the west at the end. Averaging the win amount of the east means very very little. What does the hornets win record mean to all this? And if you want to talk about how they play the east in the playoffs. Well yeah the best of the best like Rose and the bulls who had the best record.

Reply #803762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MJ lost plenty too. People seem to have amnesia to pre 91 and post 98.

Reply #803763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Logic of MJ fans:

-It's better to get knocked out of the first round than to make the finals
-The East doesn’t play the west
-Rings make you the GOAT except if are anyone that has more than MJ
-Pippen is a scrub
-The Warriors, Spurs and OKC of the 2010s were no competition

Reply #803764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You play the west twice you play the east 4 times. So the greatest of all time lost more titles than he won and has won 2 FIBA bronze medals!! Brilliant. If Durant doesn't score 30 in the final and carry LeBum he gets a silver. Might want to learn some history chump. LeBum averaged 18ppg to steal MVP from Wade.

Reply #803765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But he had a winning record against west teams

Reply #803766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know in what season or series you are talking about Lebron getting MVP for 18 ppg. Every MVP finals or regular season he has won it’s been at least 25 ppg

Wait are you now using Olympics stats? LMFAO. Now you’re reaching.

Reply #803767 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

96 Bulls easily greatest team ever

Who gets close to them?

If Jordan had retired forever in 1993, he would still be the GOAT in many people's eyes

But after 18 months away, he returned at the age of 32. Another three peat. More MVP's, Finals MVPs, Defensive teams.

Then has three and a half years away. Returns again. Averages 23pts,6reb, 5 assists as a 38 year old. Retires at 40.

It's just a surreal storyline. Like a movie.too bad I was too young to fully appreciate it at the time just how incredible that is.

Reply #803768 | Report this post

Cool howie  
Years ago

You've got to admit that Krause is a f***ing fool

Reply #803769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan got mocked for scoring 6 points in a Wizards game. That pissed him off and the next night he scored 55 to say F*** you

Reply #803770 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

When Jordan retired in 93....

- 3 straight titles with 3 straight finals MVPs

- 3 MVPs in the last 6 years

- 7 straight all NBA 1st teams

- 6 straight all NBA defensive first team including 1 DPOY

How many players have achieved any of those things?

There would be a small handful who've done the latter two, but what about the first two?

Jordan did them all.

Reply #803772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just shut up already, they're both great players. This argument has gone on for years and will for decades to come until the next genetic freak comes along. But we get the same idiots using the same facts to try and convince the other side. It won't work, no matter what obscure fact or data you come up with. So just shut up, this drivel is so pointless, like primary school kids arguing who's dad is tougher. FFS, every basketball page on Facebook is crapping on with the same thing as well.

Reply #803773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every NBA analyst says MJ is the GOAT. People who have witnessed Kareem, Malone, Magic, Larry, Shaq, Kobe, LeBron and Michael. Until they stop saying Michael I might start listening. Longevity doesn't make you the greatest of all time. Winning doesn’t make you the GOAT otherwise Russell would be King.

Reply #803775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#773 100% both best players in different eras.

Reply #803776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about this though? Or that though? Gotcha mate.

Reply #803781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who said Pippen was the glue guy?? Kevin Raztch was the ultimate glue guy.

Reply #803784 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Watched first two episodes and thought they were great. Highly recommended to anyone with even a passing interest in basketball, but especially to all who grew up in that 90s NBA mania.

I haven't watched the first two episodes yet but good to hear it delivers.

Can we get the LeBron mass debate quarantined into its own thread?

Reply #803788 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The MJ and Lebron debate is stale and I am sick of having it. They dominated two different eras with different conditions.

As for The Last Dance, it's been epic. It's been like basketball's Game of Thrones. It's got heroes, villians, side plots. And a lot of it is news to the general public because it all happened before social media. I've been enthralled and could have easily binge watched all 10 episodes at once.

Reply #803791 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

After watching episode 2 last night, my impression is Pippen was a sook. Even Jordan said as much.

The stuff about him being underpaid is a bit of a beat up. While Pippen was seriously underpaid in about 1997 and 1998, he wasn't that underpaid for the entirety of that deal.

In the 90's, the money wasn't comparable- for example, when Ewing and Olajuwon met in the finals they were on $3mil and $4mil per year. Most of those 90's stars ended up earning more money as 37 year old role players than they were as 27 year old superstars.

If you can trust the figures from basketball reference, the NBA salary cap started shooting upwards from 1995 to about 2006, then stalled for a while.
Then, as we know, it shot up with the new agreement a few years ago.

Pippen's mistake was signing the 7 year deal. But the quote in the doco about "he could've earned 9 or 10 times that" in nonsense.

And Pippen's not the only championship star to be on a long term, undervalued deal. Ben Wallace was similar.

Interestingly both those guys then signed whopping deals and went from the most underpaid players to some of the the most overpaid players later in their careers!

Reply #803793 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In the Bulls early championships Pippen was actually paid more than any of his opponents (according to Bball ref)

Pippen was on 2.8mil/yr for his 7 year deal from 91-92 to 97-98.

In 92 Portland's highest paid player was Kevin Duckworth on $2,013,000

In 93 Barkley was Phoenix highest at 2.4mil.

As above, in the 94 finals Ewing was on 3.8mil, Olajuwon 3.1mil.

The salary cap was $12.5mil in 91-92 but it was $26.9mil by 97-98. Obviously there would've been a myriad of exemptions and luxury taxes like there are today.

Reply #803794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pippen's contract was good money when he signed it. In this first year of his new deal (91-92) he was 16th highest paid player in the league. The issue was length of the contract. By the final few seasons of his contract the salary cap had increased so much (as had the average salary) that his per-season income was small in comparison to his peers. He was playing in 1998 on 1992 money, and there was a big difference between the two.

Reply #803803 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

If we are comparing competition faced between MJ and LeBron eras, look at the original USA dream team that MJ was a part of and the best player on.

These were his competitors and has there been a dream team or any international team since that would even get close talent wise

Reply #803808 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The problem I have with the dream team argument is that I believe the reason why that's the case (not another team as strong) is due to multiple factors - the rest of the world improving significantly (Europe in particular), the continuing gulf between how the NBA is played and officiated versus the FIBA game, and the fact that the best players don't tend to all play. Reason #2 though I think is very evident any time we watched NBA superstars struggle at the World Cup or Olympics - even those playing for teams outside of the USA (ie. Giannis).

Reply #803809 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's some responsibility though on a team to address that drama. Either rework and extend the contract, or shoulder the disgruntled employee. History says the path they took in alienating Jackson/Jordan/Pippen and then trading Pippen for peanuts wouldn't be hard to beat. They stuffed around for 5-10 years when it wouldn't have been difficult to keep Jackson and Jordan onside plus get Pippen happier with his contract situation.

Reply #803817 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Agreed.

And why on earth were they messing around with protracted contract negotiations with Jackson, when Jordan had already stated, in no uncertain words, that Jackson was the only coach he'd ever play for?

I would assume it was only a money issue. Except, then when they signed Jackson, they publicly said it would be his last year.

It's completely nuts.

And history shows us where the Bulls ended up for the next 5 or 10 years after Jordan!

Reply #803828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

above misses the but were Jordan was "encouraged" to retire.

Reply #803830 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Krause had a big ego hence his comment "Organisations win championships" implying the coach and players were just along for the ride.

It was madness to break up a team that had just won it's third straight championship in a rush to rebuild, you can rebuild after they've stopped winning titles but supposedly Krause had picked Tim Floyd from the college ranks to be the new coach and was eager to let him get started probably in the belief it would've be too long until they were back up there again.

As history showed Tim Floyd was a disaster as coach and the organisation hasn't won a championship since.

Reply #803833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Krause had a big ego hence his comment "Organisations win championships" implying the coach and players were just along for the ride."

That is taking his comment out of context AND misquoting him.

Reply #803837 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Will this be shown on free to air at a later date?

Reply #803903 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I knew Krause was obsessed with trying to get rid of Phil and replace him with Tim Floyd I didn't know he was this crazy though:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/04/22/tim-floyd-bulls-tried-to-hire-me-in-1989-1996/

Reply #803905 | Report this post

No, Wilbur.

Reply #803911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If nothing else, the documentary proves that the game of basketball, on every level, is played by big athletic competitive Winners....& run by weird pompous self loathing little Midgets who are bitter that they were never good enough. Sad, but true.

Reply #804157 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"If nothing else, the documentary proves that the game of basketball, on every level, is played by big athletic competitive Winners....& run by weird pompous self loathing little Midgets who are bitter that they were never good enough. Sad, but true."

Probably true for every pro sport, if we look past the stereotyping and labeling.

Basketball would probably be a team sport with more “player power” than most others though. In its nature, with a few players able to make a big difference to teams and whole leagues. In AFL and NRL, it's much harder for a team to turn around a season by injection of 2-3 players.

That’s why changing imports is such a good strategy in the NBL. Jordan, LeBron, Magic, Kobe were all “franchise players”. Teams were literally built around a single star player and how they worked with a small supporting cast of co-contributors.

Plus the culture of the NBA. Can you imagine a Rodman in the AFL?

Reply #804314 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I started watching this series with interest.
Got bored pretty quickly with all the Jordan ego-stroking.

IMHO, even as misquoted, Krause was correct.
NBA is not pick-up. It's not a bunch of guys deciding to play together. These are units assembled by people who know what they're doing. Moreover, those pulling the Bulls line-ups together during that period, did an exceptional job to build those teams around Jordan. Even Rodman was more attention-seeking exhibitionist than ego, and Pippen and others they brought together great players who were prepared to take a back-seat to Jordan.

Whether or not you agree that Jordan is the goat (and I'm not going to debate that) we don't need 10 episodes telling s he is. The whole thing smells like a clumsy attempt to rehabilitate the reputation of somebody who has become almost a parody of his own success.

And yeah, there is something really distasteful about doing a hatchet job on Krause when he is dead. And the story they tell doesn't make sense.
It was well know at the time that there was a schism between management and Jackson/Jordan. But they're trying to make out that it was due only to Krause.

Reply #804325 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm loving this doco.

It's a great story, and they're telling it well.

I'm planning on watching the 30-for-30's on the Bad Boys too. Need to know more about them.

Reply #804327 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good idea. Complement the series with Bad Boys, Jordan Rides the Bus and the Rodman two-parter.

Reply #804329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"somebody who has become almost a parody of his own success."

What does this mean?

Reply #804330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What you call Jordan ego stroking, most others I would imagine would see it as a great insight into arguably one of the greatest athletes of all time. He hasn't hid from anything in the first few episodes, has been very open and candid on alot of issues, as have the other players and staff. It is an incredible opportunistic look at all levels of one of the great modern professional sports teams in what was their final year together.

Side note - I think the greatness of Phil Jackson is overlooked by many too. Including his 5 with the Lakers, he had 11 rings in some 15 odd years throughout the 90s / 00s. That is simply phenomenal

Reply #804333 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

'Yes, will be good to see Luc get the recognition he deserves'

Actually, he won't. The director has confirmed that Luc Longley won't feature in interviews in the documentary due to budget constraints. I presume because Longley is based in Australia is why it won't be possible for him to feature in the documentary which is understandable.

However, Andrew Gaze did feature in interviews for a documentary about Seaton Hall's run to the NCAA championship game which featured on ESPN. So they didn't seem to have any problems despite Gaze was most likely based in Australia at the time of making it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/the-real-reason-why-mjs-aussie-teammate-didnt-feature-in-documentary/news-story/6adb6b3c56e9139f8534fb2729cf921a

Reply #804431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it has been a great series so far

Reply #804433 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Watched 30 for 30 Bad Boy doco. so good.

And going back to my comments earlier in this thread, most people would pick Kukoc as the next guy after Pippen and Rodman

But it really doesnt matter- Pippen and Rodman were two teammates, better as a duo than any duo Lebron ever had. And if you add Harper and Kukoc as well- say Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, Harper- the guys alongside Jordan for the 96-98 threepeat- Lebron has never had a group of 4 teammates anything like that

International guys often struggle initially when entering the NBA and improve gradually- think of Joe Ingles for example

Kukoc averaged 16-5-5 shooting over 50% from the field in his second season in 94-95 as a starter on a 2nd round playoff team. He won 6th man of the year on the 95-96 team that lost 13 games including playoffs.

Based on that, Kukoc would've started in any other team.

So if you go with Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc instead of Harper then- which trio of Lebron teammates has even come close? I can't think of any that get anywhere near it. Maybe Wade, Bosh and a 38 year old Ray Allen?

Reply #804495 | Report this post

Triton 26  
Years ago

Watching the games back again, I can say this, if Jordan played in todays NBA, with the referees calling the game they way they do today, Jordan would have 25+ free throws a game and average close to 50. He would be simply unstoppable.

Reply #804500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV in Miami LBJ had Wade, Bosh and Ray Allen. Fair chance all 4 will end up in the HOF

Reply #804502 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

What you call Jordan ego stroking, most others I would imagine would see it as a great insight into arguably one of the greatest athletes of all time

Depends on how much of the kool-aid you want to drink
For someone like me, who loves sporting bios, and who's happy to acknowledge Jordan as one of the greats, possibly the goat, but leave it at that, a 1 or 2 hour doco would have been plenty. But the idea of sitting through 10 hours is ott.
But I can fully accept that truly avid fans would happily consume all 10 episodes and still want more.
And maybe in those 10 episodes there's more, but I'm not willing to sit through it all just to find out.

We could dissect this at length, maybe it's an American thing, a generational thing, or whatever, but its one of the huge differences between Americans and Australians (or at least those of my generation.) In American there seems to be an expectation that your ego must exceed and precede your ability. That the more successful you are, the bigger your personality needs to become, and the more you are expected to behave like Aristocracy.

Reply #804504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Notice how yellow Jordan's eyes are.
Not going to make any accusations here, but that can be a symptom of a few different things, usually related to the liver.

Reply #804507 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Did anyone notice the Chris Anstey (DAL) cameo in the Denis Rodman highlights package at the start of episode 3 at about 1:30.

It was his rookie season at Dallas - had some good games that year.

Reply #804511 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

"Did anyone notice the Chris Anstey (DAL) cameo in the Denis Rodman highlights package at the start of episode 3 at about 1:30.

It was his rookie season at Dallas - had some good games that year."

That footage was from the game the Mavericks came back from 19 points in the fourth quarter to defeat the Bulls in overtime. Phil Jackson walked out of the game before it ended because he just couldn't believe what he had seen.

Interestingly Anstey has said that if the Mavericks hadn't drafted him at the 18 pick in 1997 that the Bulls had told his agent they would take him at 28th pick in the first round. Anstey also said he would benefited more if the Bulls had drafted him rather then being selected by the then struggling Mavericks. Anstey would be traded to the Bulls two years later after being drafted but by then the team was a shell of the successful Bulls teams from the dynasty.

Reply #804520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty interesting sideline that Longley, Anstey, Schenscher and Bairsow all bigs, all played for the Bulls.

Reply #804523 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

On Jordan's yellow eyes

One interesting story from the doco was Rodman knocking on Jordan's hotel room door, followed by those two sharing a cigar

Did these guys seriously smoke cigars on the regular, or was it more an occasional victory cigar?

If it was on the regular, kind of adds to the mythology about Jordan's greatness. If you're legitimately smoking those things (which each have the nicotine of a pack of ciggies) and still smoking everybody on the court....wow

Reply #804545 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ha! If you think that's impressive go and watch the Rodman series to see how much he drank every night yet showed up to practice unscathed and ultimately out rebounding everybody in games.

Reply #804548 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lots more cigars in episode 6.....

Reply #804925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754