Alex
Years ago

Should NBL bring back 48m games?

NBL use to play 48m matches since the beginning in 1979 NBL season to 2008-09 NBL season. NBL from now has been playing just 40m with Fiba rules.

The only reason why I think NBL changed to 40m games was because the games couldn't fit the time frame of the TV schedules. Also, NBL wanted to have Fiba rules to translate to the national team events.

I think personally NBL should go back to 48m games because Fiba rules is boring and usually most games are low scoring. As a member it’s not good to see low scoring games.

Should NBL consider bringing back 48m era?

Topic #47175 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.

Reply #803965 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

No

Reply #803966 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Are games low scoring though? I say this with no stats etc to back me up but I can recall many games going into 90-100 scoreline and sometimes well over.

Second point is that rate of scoring is the issue and not necessarily the length of the game.

So if you want to see higher numbers for the sake of higher numbers then eight more minutes will obviously help that, but it doesn't mean that the style of play is not already relatively offensive just because it's only 40 minutes.

So I guess I just mean that it's an argument against taste and style more so than duration but I wouldn't be against 48 minutes either.

Reply #803967 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

A lot of people like the NBA? I couldn't see a problem if NBL wanted to change back. It brings more flow at the start of each quarter.

I think this season may be a bit more low scoring because there will be less talent with the 2 import rule and with all players with less salary’s.

Reply #803971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yawn. again. no

Reply #803975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #803976 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Yes bring back the 48 minutes game.

Reply #803977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wish they would, game is over so quickly and we dont get players able to go for huge stat lines like they used to. But it'll never happen.

Reply #803978 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

Check this crazy game between Brisbane and Perth.

https://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=267100055&c=1-8739-0-199552-0&pool=-1

Reply #803979 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes.

There was a Wildcats-Razorbacks game at Challenge which was a blowout at HT for the home team with supporters leaving early dud to it being a given. Pigs were bottom of the ladder at the time. By 3QT it was a reverse blowout to West Sydney so more fans left disappointed because the game was over and the perceived choke. Wildcats ended up coming back to win by a point or two. Most ridiculous NBL game ever.

Reply #803981 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

No

Reply #803983 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NBL use to play 48m matches since the beginning in 1979 NBL season to 2008-09 NBL season.
This is incorrect.

Check this crazy game between Brisbane and Perth.
They played four overtimes that night. What's your point?

Reply #803984 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

Then which season did they change to 48m era?

Reply #803985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No broadcaster is going to pick up a 48 min games and show it live. It just isn't going to happen so get over it

Reply #803986 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #803987 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

68 minute games have a 100% success rate at being classics.
Therefore I think all NBL games should be 68 minutes from now on.

Reply #803988 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think 60-minute games have been better than 68-minute games over the league's history, to be honest. And if it's good enough for Samoa Joe and CM Punk, it's good enough for the NBL.

Reply #803989 | Report this post

Dione 81  
Years ago

Your crazy 68m?
Four 17m quarters??

Reply #803990 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Make it 69.

Reply #803992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there is no tv for season coming up why not, fans will get better value for money being there.

Reply #803993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cost cutting, with teams down to 10 players, make 48 min games very unlikely, I would have thought.
As other have pointed out, games have actually been high scoring recently, with some teams averaging over 90 points per game in 40 min.
If I had to point a flaw with the entertainment value of NBL games, I would focus my interest on the number of fouls called - games with 50 fouls in 40 minutes... now that's hard to watch!

Reply #803994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be no fans (500 if you're lucky) this season so they need TV. No way it changes to 48

Reply #803995 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They're not just going to magically conjure up a TV deal.

If fans aren't allowed in they won't play. They've said this multiple times.

Reply #803996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you got a link to where they said that?

Reply #803997 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I'm down for 48 minute games.

Really liked them back in the day. A personal positive for me was that the player rotation was larger and there was an increased importance on how reliable players 6-10 were, not just 6-8.

Wouldn’t hurt that playing length mirrors NBA also.

Reply #803999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does mirroring NBA have to do with it?

Reply #804000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should switch games to mid-morning too so our games really mirrors the NBA.

Reply #804001 | Report this post

Dione 81  
Years ago

Very funny....

Reply #804004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screw it, 20 minute quarters, 15 man team, ability to trade mid game with player returning to original team after completion. After every 3, shooter has to do a shot of tequila. No refs, call your own fouls. 3rd quarter a fan gets to coach team. Half time owner has to wrestle a bear, wait, that's been done before. At opposition foul shots in last 2 minutes cheerleaders have wet tshirt competition under basket. A player under 5 feet has to be on court at all times. Commentary from the WAGS.
Be a bidding war amongst networks for that, not this boring sensible game being played now.

Reply #804008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, it was the 1984 season when they changed to 48 minutes. So mnay people not even aware of that.

Playing 48 minutes helps us compete better internationally when we go against NBA players.

Reply #804009 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

"Playing 48 minutes helps us compete better internationally when we go against NBA players." What's the point here when they play different rules?

Reply #804015 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Loved the 48min games. Won't be happening though with packaging of 40mins for tv.

Reply #804017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does 48 mins make us compete better with NBA players when the FIBA game is 40 with less rotations? Home schooling has a lot to answer for

Reply #804018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing NBA players struggle with is adjusting to Fiba rules. Why follow them?

Reply #804020 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Why not just cut back 1/2 time (still time to head to rooms - or stay on court even
Seems that most 1/4 or Time Out breaks cover similar paths do could they be shortened?

Reply #804022 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You'd think so but last time the league cut back on the length of HT Gleeson, Tragardh and the rest of the Tigers had a massive cry over it. Apparently it's a huge deal.

Reply #804027 | Report this post

Hopscotch 36  
Years ago

Not this season but NBL would have to agree on a longer tv deal which would be unlikely.

Reply #804031 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

More isn't always better.

Reply #804035 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Or we could go back to NBL roots and play 2 by 20 min halves???

Reply #804038 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Sorry, I should have expanded on my remark re 48 minutes games to mirror the NBA. Silly without any context.

I was thinking doing so would help draw attention of the league to local NBA followers who aren't also NBL supporters. There would surely be a significant number.

Time poor to determine how to convey correct explanation - but thinking the familiarity in timing at least would be a positive draw. I regularly have discussions with general sports followers who ask why our national league games are 4 x 10 compared to the NBA's 4 x 12.

The NBA is all about numbers, followers recognise that. I think they get a little turned off seeing sub-100 scorelines and final player statlines that are reduced also.

Thought this was valid enough to at least throw out for discussion. I don't think it would be too difficult to work around.

Reply #804053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get turned off the NBA when the scores are 152-148

Reply #804054 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Ben, NBA fans will be turned off by the poor standard long before they get turned off by the shorter duration.

The NBA and the American way for the last 50-100 years has been to praise and emphasise superstars and celebrities, so they're not going to get a lot of those in the NBL either.

And let’s not even get started on the refereeing.

In other words, I can only see NBA fans watching the NBL when there’s nothing better to watch, or there’s a high-profile Next Star involved

Reply #804059 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The last time we played the USA we won. So much for the 48 minute game helping their national team. The Philippines play 48 minute games, they however struggle against any half decent team.

Reply #804063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If fans aren't allowed in they won't play. They've said this multiple times."

That's not what they're saying KR:

https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl-eyes-2020-21-season

Reply #804075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The good thing we have going for us is time. We've got a little bit more time than some of the other leagues have. Even if the season can't start on time in early October, I think we can be flexible with times."
Kestelman said NBL would like to have fans in venues. “We will do everything in our power to make the season happen with fans. That’s ultimately what we want, that’s how clubs derive most of their income, that’s what the lifeblood of this sport is.
“We want to do everything we can to play in front of crowds. If we have to start our season without crowds, not an ideal situation, but we can do that as well.

Reply #804076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find they will start as late as possible so fans can be in venues BUT if they have to they will play without fans as having no season is not an option.

Reply #804079 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That sounds like they won't play at all if they can't get fans in, but might start before fans are allowed in if they know they'll be able to get crowds later in the season.

Reply #804082 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The 2 hour tv presentation slot is why they won't. I wasn't a fan of 40 mins when they made the change, but it took maybe 3 games before I came around.

Reply #804088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That sounds like they won't play at all if they can't get fans in, but might start before fans are allowed in if they know they'll be able to get crowds later in the season."

So your yesterday claim is wrong. And you never showed us where they said it multiple times or even one time

Reply #804092 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's literally a thread already for the time Paul Smith said it, and Adelaide's owner said it on radio again during the week.

Reply #804095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so LK never said it then. Smith doesn't run this league he just acts as if he does

Reply #804099 | Report this post

Hopscotch 36  
Years ago

I agree, the NBL refereeing is terrible. They called 50 fouls in some games last season. It was terrible to watch.

At least in 48m era it takes 6 fouls to get fouled out of a game. Be able to see less players foul out.

There's always going to good and bad with 48m era and even the 40m era.

Seeing players lit up scoreboard I prefer but the downside is more waiting around.

Reply #804102 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

At least in 48m era it takes 6 fouls to get fouled out of a game. Be able to see less players foul out.
Of all the arguments, this is the dumbest.

First, from 1984 to 1990 inclusive, they played 48-minute games and players fouled out on the fifth foul.

Second, in a 40 minute game you get 5 fouls, which is one foul every eight minutes. In a 48-minute game, six fouls equates to...one foul every eight minutes.

Reply #804104 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I prefer 48 minutes as going to a game it feels like it's over too quickly and more value for cost of ticket.

I like that records will only be broken in 48 minute games or multiple overtime crazy games.

I like that you feel that a player can carry 3 fouls into half time and not feel super worried about foul trouble but the perception with 40 minutes is that a player with 2 quick fouls must sit.

However it won't happen sadly and that's in great part due to playing 28 games over 19 weeks and players unions wanting less stress on players not more... but I also find test cricket and enduro Supercars races to be the most exciting so I'm biased towards longer versions of sports

Reply #804145 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

That's where I agree with you.

Disappointing when you see great players having to sit down on the bench because of 2 quick fouls from the referees.

Today at 3pm NBL are showing a classic game 1993 Sydney Kings vs. Melbourne Tigers. Can’t wait for this exciting match!

Reply #804149 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

"so LK never said it then. Smith doesn't run this league he just acts as if he does" Read the article. LK did say it.

Reply #804150 | Report this post

Geoff  
Years ago

Yes, for the sake of Australian homegrown talent. Get them off the bench and give them some minutes.

Reply #804152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just change it from season to season maybe?

Olympics and world championship years = 40 minutes

Off-years = 48 minutes.

That way, the players get used to the 40 minute game during years they will play international competition. And it gets to change every season, and if there is one thing the NBL likes, it is a lack of continuity.

Reply #804177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geoff it's bad enough watching players like Grida get 10 mpg now. No thanks. Plus, coaches will still only play too 8

Reply #804178 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

"That way, the players get used to the 40 minute game during years they will play international competition." If you are playing for Australia you will already know how to play a 40min game. I will be glad when school goes back.

Reply #804198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grida is commentators favourite, they tell us how he's a future star, is that bad commentary or what the state of the league is going to get to.

Reply #804208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Took time getting used to 40 min change but I like it, keep it as is.

Reply #804224 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

I just watched the Sydney Kings verses Melbourne Tigers back in 1993. That game was fantastic to watch. So high scoring and the referees were trained much better.

Reply #804225 | Report this post

Rabbit 82  
Years ago

Game was much better then.

Reply #804266 | Report this post

Three to make two  
Years ago

"Check this crazy game between Brisbane and Perth.

https://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=267100055&c=1-8739-0-199552-0&pool=-1"

It gets better. Or worse, depending on who you supported:

https://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?action=MATCH&fixture=267099670&c=1-8739-124009-199563-16568037&pool=0

You score 158 points and lose!

Reply #804267 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That 158 still stands as a franchise record for Illawarra. They were never in that game.

Reply #804268 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

WTF Melbourne shot 76% that night

Reply #804272 | Report this post

Kai  
Years ago

Make it 44.

11 each quarter.

Reply #804275 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Personally I did prefer the 48 minute era. But I can't say either is better than the other in any real way.
I also preferred the longer quarter time breaks, long-enough for a slash.

Reply #804331 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The quarter time breaks didn't change when the games got shorter.

Reply #804335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one said they did

Reply #804337 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Huh? Literally the comment before his says:

I also preferred the longer quarter time breaks, long-enough for a slash.

Reply #804338 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

If they stop the NBA preseason games then it won't matter changing to the 48m era.

Hopefully the league can test the 48m era for one season. They can only try and see if it will work?

Reply #804341 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They tried it for 26 years, I think they've got a pretty good handle on how it goes.

Reply #804342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Huh? Literally the comment before his says"

It said he preferred longer quarter-time breaks, not that quarter-time breaks got shorter at the same time quarters did.

Reply #804345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will just be happy to see the NBL back.

Reply #804350 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Huh? Literally the comment before his says"

It said he preferred longer quarter-time breaks, not that quarter-time breaks got shorter at the same time quarters did.
Dazz doesn't have a history deserving of the benefit of the doubt.

But given you two threw up a bunch of warning flags before he could post here again, I guess we'll never know.

Reply #804353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

40 minute format is much better. Even NBA recently said 40 minute games would flow better and would generate more tv revenue.

Reply #804467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard on SEN Drive NBL commentator Dwayne Russell said the NBL will be going back to the 48m game. Expect high scoring and players breaking more NBL records.

Reply #874635 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

48 minutes is where it should be.

Please make it happen.

Reply #874638 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I heard it too, Dwayne Russell said to David King that the NBL is bringing 48m back. Someone from League office must of told Russell. I'm keen for it, because if the league wants to be recognised as a development league to the NBA, it will help massively. Makes complete sense to me. No more boring 60 point games, what a win!

Reply #874641 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No more boring 60 point games, what a win!
You do realise that if the game is played the same way it's just boring for longer, right?

Reply #874642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news! will they move to 6 fouls?

Reply #874643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/47175-should-nbl-bring-back-48m-games/#p874643

Reply #874646 | Report this post

Nachos95  
Years ago

I know in 2008/09 season it was 6 fouls.

Reply #874647 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

How does that affect a two hour tv slot? Ie 1-5pm for two games on 10

Reply #874648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This totally makes sense if we want to be a league preparing and developing NBA talent

Reply #874650 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I heard on SEN Drive NBL commentator Dwayne Russell said the NBL will be going back to the 48m game. Expect high scoring and players breaking more NBL records.

Great news.

Reply #874651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz, Perthworld, how do you guys reply and have profile pictures?

I want to have a profile picture, but can't figure it out.

Reply #874654 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Gravatar.

Reply #874655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Donald Trump? Fake news

Reply #874656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754