Luuuc
Years ago

Derek Rucker Podcast

Say what you like about Rucker but he runs a good interview. 3 recent ones since his Joey Wright one:

Cal Bruton

Darryl McDonald

Ricky Grace

Topic #47195 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

A few posts deleted. We've had enough Rucker drama comments in other threads. Let's please keep this one about his podcast efforts.

Reply #804660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly his on court career has given him a lot of contacts, look forward to listening. Btw, no everyone is perfect, a lot of others have done worst things.

Reply #804683 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

My pedantic comment is that a YouTube series is not a podcast. A podcast is something that is sourced via RSS into a podcast player.

Having said that, his YouTube channel is good. I enjoyed the Ricky Grace one, having been a kid growing up watching those two battle on the court.

Reply #804684 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not sure if he posted the Andrew Gaze interview,it was early in the lock down period,but it was a ripper

Reply #804685 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Started listening to the Rucker Grace show.

Wow...In their first season in the NBL, Grace was on A$30k plus expenses, Rucker was on A$35k plus expenses...and Jeff Allen was on US$70k.

That is absolutely astounding.

Reply #804686 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not really, it was a semi-pro league back when they debuted and newly graduated imports with no professional experience had to prove themselves.

Reply #804691 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Jeff Allen making almost twice as much as Grace and Rucker combined is an absolute absurdity regardless of what the specific numbers were.

Reply #804692 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh yeah for sure. What an agent.

Reply #804698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was also 1990. 30k was a decent wage, maybe not by professional sports standards, but certainly by community standards. Not great, but not terrible.

Reply #804704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back then imports couldn't command the massive money they do no.

Reply #804706 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't care if Jeff Allen made a dollar and Grace and Rucker each earned 30 cents, or if Allen made 400k and Grace and Rucker were on 150k each. He made more than double their combined salaries. The actual numbers aren't relevant here.

Reply #804709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The imports are a dime a dozen particularly back then....

The standard of our league and the game vs the level of import required was vastly different than todays game.

Also the value of the AUD Vs USD/Euro currencies and the Euro leagues lack of funds/organisations etc made it cheap and easy to get imports.

Reply #804710 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Yeah Jeff Allen was rubbish!!!

Thanks for posting these Luuuc

Reply #804736 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Also wasn't aware that someone like Jeff Allen earnt more than double Ricky Grace.

Would be like Egwu earning double what Machado earnt.

Reply #804740 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Rucker was the winner because he got Tina Arena haa haa...

I remembered watching the Wildcats Vs NM Giants game and was surprised to see Rucker with Arena, I remembered thinking lucky him.

It's very interesting that the Wildcats had so much respect for Loggins, even a veteran Loggins that they targetted him and not Rucker or Andre Moore.

Reply #804797 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

KR - You need to remember it was 1990 and big men were MUCH more valued back then. Allen wasn't garbage, in fact I can remember a 22 rebound game from him against Newcastle. He was seen as the perfect fit alongside Pinder and Crawford but was simply a square peg in a round hole.

As an example of how over valued big blokes were, google Jon Konkak or Jim McIlvaine.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Reply #805032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754