LoveBroker
Years ago

NBL pushes back 20-21 season until after AFL and NRL finish.

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/29237253/nbl-push-back-2020-21-season-afl-nrl-finish

The NBL will likely start towards the end of October now instead of the start of, buying the league another 3 weeks of time.

3 Weeks delay isn't long but I think it is a logical and reasonable start time based on the current trajectory we are heading in terms of Covid19 infections.

And also gives teams a bit more time to prepare given Free Agency was almost 2 months late.

Topic #47263 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't hate this. Pushing it back means we may end up starting at a time when crowds are allowed.

Reply #806926 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah makes sense, and yes increases the chances we actually get to go and watch them play.

Reply #806929 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

It shouldn't have taken a pandemic for this to happen. There's actually talk of the A League moving to winter. That'd be a great win for basketball too.

Another minor win is that in the middle of summer most would rather be in air conditioning than outside baking.

Thank you covid19, thank you climate change.

Reply #806930 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

No news yet if this means the same number of games are compressed into 17 rounds or a shortened season.

Reply #806931 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It shouldn't have taken a pandemic for this to happen.
For what to happen? The NBL season starts after the AFL and NRL seasons finish literally every year. Has done for the past decade or so.

Reply #806932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arrogant yes but Koberulz is correct.

Reply #806934 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"For what to happen? The NBL season starts after the AFL and NRL seasons finish literally every year. Has done for the past decade or so."

Yeah but their seasons have been delayed and are likely to see further delays, so means that it will likely start November or later, as opposed to early October.

Reply #806935 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

....your point?

Reply #806938 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

ME.

NBL said 'we are pushing back the season to Late Oct to avoid AFL clash'.
Curtly said 'Shouldn't have taken a pandemic to trigger this policy'
KR said 'the NBL habve always tried to avoid AFL clash'.

Reply #806939 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah I don't really get the above posts, the NBL starts after after the AFL Grand Final regardless of pandemic, it's how it has been for years.

There's a bit of a spike of active cases this week between WA and Vic. Hopefully with eased restrictions we can still see active cases reducing.

Victoria has around 70 known or just a touch under, that will take a couple of months to get close to 0, at a minimum. NSW would be lucky to get there by October, albeit possible.

Reply #806941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If NSW is the only state to not get to sufficient low levels of infection by October they should move the Kings into a hub into another state, mainly just to ensure Bogut stays retired as he would never agree to it.
Hawks can stay based in NSW as crowd numbers will never be above the 500 person limit anyway.

Reply #806942 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

haha savage

Reply #806944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw opening up very fast, 2nd wave on the way. Kings hawks play away for first month or two if required.

Reply #806945 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's a bit of a spike of active cases this week between WA and Vic. Hopefully with eased restrictions we can still see active cases reducing.
WA's is almost entirely a cargo ship with an infected crew (one overseas returnee tested positive but was already in isolation). If they managed to contain it quickly enough it shouldn't pose too much of a problem, hopefully.

Reply #806946 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The NBL season always starts after those guys, but we don't know how sneaky the AFL will be in trying to get a longer season in for more TV time.

In reality, I know imports like to be out of Australia to enable them to pick up a gig in the next world league so the NBL might be sandwiched, but hey, if we get 28 games in the season, that's all we need and it might mean more games on a weekend.

As they say "Too much Basketball is barely enough!"

Reply #806951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know we are in a tough unknown climate but why so many doomsayers? Unfortunately the country and the world can't be locked down forever. It just can’t the ramifications are astronomical. If we stay closed there will be suicide deaths across the world than deaths associated or attributed to COVID-19

Reply #806955 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

why so many doomsayers?
Where?

Reply #806959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" If we stay closed there will be suicide deaths across the world than deaths associated or attributed to COVID-19"

Ok thanks Dr.

Reply #806960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ USA is already evidence

Reply #806962 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Of what?

Reply #806966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe still being the expert and giving everyone the shits. Of course he's right. He's already told us so. Oh and he's the Covid expert.

Reply #806975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he gives you the shits so much, fuck off. If you're the person who continually responds to him to tell him he's annoying you and trying to make fun of him, you're a sad twerp.

Reply #806976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should I care about your opinion? He has told us he's always right and clearly he isn't. Fuck off with your comments and you clearly are on his side.

Reply #806980 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

NBL generally starts before end of the NRL season and did last year too. Apologies accepted.

Reply #806981 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Last year is literally the only time it's happened in the past decade:
2019: NRL grand final 6 October, NBL starts 3 October
2018: NRL grand final 30 September, NBL starts 11 October
2017: NRL grand final 1 October, NBL starts 5 October
2016: NRL grand final 2 October, NBL starts 6 October
2015: NRL grand final 4 October, NBL starts 7 October
2014: NRL grand final 5 October, NBL starts 10 October
2013: NRL grand final 6 October, NBL starts 10 October
2012: NRL grand final 30 September, NBL starts 5 October
2011: NRL grand final 2 October, NBL starts 7 October
2010: NRL grand final 3 October, NBL starts 15 October
2009: NRL grand final 4 October, NBL starts 24 September

NBL generally starts before end of the NRL season
Once in ten years is "generally" now?

He has told us he's always right and clearly he isn't.
The facts would indicate otherwise.

Reply #806983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry I cam in late but did anyone mention GF of the NRL? NBL generally starts before end of the NRL season.

Reply #806987 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Of course, how silly of me.

Reply #806989 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't really follow NRL, but I do recall many years when the AFL GF was on the Saturday, and NRL on the Sunday (of the same weekend.)
Last year, and possibly previously, they moved it to the weekend after.

Reply #806991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#980 is so angry!

Reply #806996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""He has told us he's always right and clearly he isn't.""

"The facts would indicate otherwise."

kobe claiming that the facts indicate that he is always right?
that is a new level of disconnect from reality. why not be proud of sticking to the facts where possible and being right most of the time? but no you have to take it a step further and kill your own credibility. that is why some people attack you bro.

Reply #806999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"that is a new level of disconnect from reality"

I find the person who follows him around to angrily hang shit on him far more annoying. This person decided to start on him for no reason in this thread so why shouldn't he defend himself?

Reply #807001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that the obsessed loser is far more annoying but it would still help everyone if kobe dialed down his god complex a little

Reply #807002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5000+ posts from Kobe really shows you how important he thinks he is across so many topics. 2nd is Perthworld with his 4200+ posts. Both so self important.

Reply #807017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And 9000 posts from you telling us all how much they annoy you. You're pathetic.

Reply #807019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I think at times both Perthworld and Kobe are at times wankers, at least they contribute well to the forum and at times actually pass on or talk good information.
If you don't like their stuff don’t read it.

Reply #807021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9000 posts from an anonymous good on ya mate.

Reply #807023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm think 1/4 - 1/3 crowds till Christmas, 50% crowds jan/feb, back to 100% march/april/-

Reply #807028 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:40 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754