Big Ads
Years ago

The Bear is back!

As previously hinted by those in the know, speculated by others (thanks Mrs. Bairstow) and by some with no idea, Cam Bairstow has been announced as joining the Hawks for season 2020/2021 (or probably just 2021).

Source: NBL.com.au

Jick will be happy to see his boy back in the league

Topic #47477 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

If the Hawks and 36ers can get stud imports, it will be a very even league! If either team don't get stud imports/good import combinations, they'll be a step behind the rest IMO.

There's talent on both sides that can do a lot of damage (Adel, Johnson etc) with some youth that can do damage as well. That veteran leadership, x factor import(s) is what they will really need to make a push for top 4

Reply #814006 | Report this post

The Contractor  
Years ago

I'd have that roster looking like this now

STARTERS

Import
Harvey
Adel
Froling
Bairstow

BENCH

Naar
White
Grida
Deng

Looking at that, with another local and probable next star to come they'd both have to be bigs.

Very solid starting line up.

Reply #814008 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Decent team coming together and the GOAT coach at the helm.

Exciting times for Hawks fans.

Reply #814009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a gun import pg who buys in and Hawks are about to go from wooden spoon to championship contenders.

Curious though, considering the Hawks went into administration who's paying for all these big signings.

Reply #814010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm the new owners!! Smh

Reply #814011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could win it and be back in administration again. All the previous sponsors are not renewing, got to do with the name change I'm led to believe.

Reply #814014 | Report this post

Untitled  
Years ago

Care to name ALL the sponsors?

For those that do not renew, using the name change is an easy excuse, instead of COVID though isn't.

Reply #814015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well it kinda makes sense that a local business would not be as willing to sponsor a team that has no ties to the Illawarra community.

Reply #814016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sort of needed mathiang...

No good Cs left

Reply #814017 | Report this post

Logical  
Years ago

How many of those business have Illawarra in their name? Forgive me if i'm wrong, I didn't realise the burger bar was called "Illawarra Boy Elroy"?

It's been said many times by the new owners that removing the name was an NBL decision, not their own. Put some heat on the NBL, not the club.

But saying the Hawks have no ties to the region is simply ignorant.

They will play most if not all games in the Illawarra.

The Hawks give people of the Illawarra a team in a National league to support, something for kids to aspire to.

There's flow of effect for bars and eateries around the stadium to reap economic benefits on game days.

All the players and coaches and staff live in the Illawarra, and will spend money in the Illawarra.

The team will visit schools and community groups in the Illawarra.

They'll likely resume afternoon sessions with Junior teams at the Snakepit, post COVID.

That's probably enough to show they still have ties to the Illawarra.

Reply #814018 | Report this post

Fairsy  
Years ago

Couple of comments. Awesome signing. I don't think we have seen the best of Bairstow, he has been plagued with injuries for much of his NBL career.

Froling is not a starter YET. BG will be great for his career development but it will be a bridge too far at this stage. End of the season come playoffs then it is conceivable that could change.

BG hinted on ABC Radio that there is another big Australian as in size to come. Could be the re-signing of AJ might not be. Could be DA? I think they could still do with a Next Star big or possibly a 3.

Reply #814019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Logical

Reply #814020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How many of those business have Illawarra in their name?"

Why would you think the businesses need to have Illawarra in their name? The Hawks don't, and thats what matters to the sponsors that are looking for exposure.

Reply #814021 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

This is a great day!

I really think Goorj will get the best out of the big man. He's going to wreak havoc setting screens and rolling to the cup.

Reply #814022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawara Hawks-Goorjan
(I)/6'1 E.Naar/6’2 I.White
6’4 T.Harvey(I)/6’6 D.Grida
6’7 D.Adel/6’8 D.Deng
6’10 J.Bolden or 6’9 O.Kyei
6’9 C.Bairstow/6’11 S.Froling

Reply #814023 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yep, good signing, nice to see him back in the league. Will be interesting to see how he's used, and how many minutes he plays.
Hawks continuing to assemble a good squad, could be very competitive.

Reply #814025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news the Bear is back in the league

Reply #814026 | Report this post

Logical  
Years ago

How exactly does it help a local (constrained to the region) business, like the burger place by Hawks having Illawarra in their name?

Besides, people in the region know who the Hawks are, they've always been the Hawks. But the variable has been Illawarra, Wollongong and Illawarra again.

Reply #814028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How and why do some people acquire the 'Bear' nickname?

Reply #814031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few sponsors said they won't re-up and seemingly using the fact that the Illawarra name has been dropped as their reason. But if you dig further down, covid has stripped some of those companies so I doubt they would have the money to sponsor anything let alone a NBL team.

Reply #814032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How and why do some people acquire the 'Bear' nickname?"

gee, i wonder...

Reply #814034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony Ronaldson is back? The BEAR, pfffft

Reply #814055 | Report this post

Logical  
Years ago

Maybe his surname, BAIRstow might have something to him getting the Bear nickname, and it's nothing to Tony Ronaldson?

Reply #814057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was and is only "The Bear". Tony Ronaldson.

Reply #814060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A few sponsors said they won't re-up and seemingly using the fact that the Illawarra name has been dropped as their reason. But if you dig further down, covid has stripped some of those companies so I doubt they would have the money to sponsor anything let alone a NBL team."

You would be wrong. Major sponsor MCR hasn't been effected at all by covid. They work in the rail industry in NSW. They are based at and started out in Wollongong but their work is mainly around Sydney. There is plenty happening in rail construction and maintenance. They are doing well but the owner is also very loyal to the local region and their sporting teams and other charities.

Reply #814074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#074 100% correct.

If my information is anywhere near correct I believe the US part owners are ringing him as well as BG. This bloke is big time, employs hundreds of people, owns race horses etc., there are a few others and most people close in the basketball community in the Illawarra know this. I know a few people in the Illawarra and the all spin the same line.

Reply #814079 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

MCR won't be back as the major sponsor.

Reply #814086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MCR is the guy wrapped up with LaMelo's bid and they weren't selected as owners, so can understand why he'd grumble and bail.

Can't believe it only just occurred to me that the dropping of "Illawarra" is likely to enable them to relocate the team down the track. I imagine it's already planned with the new owners.

Reply #814107 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

They'll become the second Sydney team, in the west.

Reply #814127 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Sourbroker. Correct they won't be back. But the reason they won't be back has zero to do with the company not making money due to covid.

Reply #814248 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754