Anonymous
Years ago

2021 Adelaide Invitational Challenge

Does anyone have information on this event? I was told it wasn't going ahead due to lack of states committing due to the uncertainty of Covid.

Topic #47916 | Report this topic

Well Read  
Years ago

It's going ahead: 9-12 January.

SA Metro, SA Country and NT are participating. TAS had to pull out following the last outbreak, and their state government required quarantine for travelers from SA.

Reply #825740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no Vic, NSW, WA or Qld?

What a waste. How much money is BSA spending on this.

Is that where our female participation fee is going?

Reply #825742 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

After the year that's just been and realities going forward, I'm sure that's what everyone involved is thinking: what a waste.

Reply #825746 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why is it a waste ? Its giving kids an opportunity to play. Kids have missed alot, U14 Club Champs, U16 and U18 Nationals, Southern Cross, East Coast and potentially U20s.

Reply #825756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At what cost?

The BSA Comp Manager again trying to control the whole of basketball in SA by claiming he can do things he cannot. Promising to replace Albury, SCC and ECC with one tournament at his favorite venue (which BSA don't run). So more cost.

End result its SA and NT. Run at a big loss. For what? To give some players a few more games. Another Fake Nationals.

I for one would rather my fees be spent on more constructive things.

Reply #825757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it basically isn't going ahead! SA Metro 3 v SA Metro 2 to dominate competition! If this is costing parents a small fortune they have been conned.

Reply #825761 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

"At what cost?"

You tell us since you appear to know the answer, or pretend you do.

Reply #825762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let the kids play, it's about enjoyment.

Reply #825765 | Report this post

Years ago

speak with Free Throw if cost causing concern - they are good people

Reply #825768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is costing parents $200, hardly a big cost.

Reply #825774 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Actually, is only $130 for the AIC comp from what I've been told

Reply #825777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 States, 3 programs competing (if you can call NT basketball a program?)
Only reason this "tournament" is going ahead is so BSA High Performance can justify their employment.
What have they done for the year? Couple of trials, trainings and zoom meetings?
But let's give everyone an SA uniform and roll them out to play in a fake comp.
It’s an embarrassment to players who have played in big tournaments for SA previously.
And it speaks volumes about the current BSA HP set up.

Reply #825778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like your kid didn't get a spot ya sook

Reply #825779 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

>Complains about the lack of development opportunities this year.
>Proceeds to complain about a development opportunity.

Reply #825781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of development opportunities this year...CLF, HPHN, Transition etc...all have left BSA "High Performance" for dead in terms of player development.
So I ask again, what has BSA HP done all year to justify a wage? Nothing. That's where all your fees are going, paying the “experts” to sit around doing stuff all.

Maybe my kid got a spot when it was hard earned and an achievement to represent SA?
Not this participation award, everyone gets a trophy “invitational challenge”.
Wait till you compete against Vic and NSW or it’s all fake.
Sad thing is deep down the players know it as well.
By all means, have a training/development weekend so players can have a run around, just don’t present an SA singlet and be so dismissive of what it represents.

Reply #825786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"... just don't present an SA singlet and be so dismissive of what it represents."

Unfortunately the participation award BSA attitude has been in place for a while.

This event is not what has and is still being promoted. It's BSA fraud.

Reply #825787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same amount of teams picked....
but your kid got a spot when it was hard... ok boomer

Reply #825788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Boomer....wow! what a response
Congratulations, you get a trophy too.

Reply #825790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think BSA are bad SA Country are a very poor third cousin in terms of HP

Reply #825791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find BSA and SA Country are one in the same. BSA run Country.

Reply #825793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's on the teams?

Reply #825794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A tournament organised by BSA, held in SA and only has SA teams playing against each other?
So everyone wins?
Next it will be renamed the BSA World Championship

Reply #825795 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

After having all the tournaments called off last year this would be a good opportunity for the kids to play in quality teams with good level coaching. Who wouldn't want to do that. You wouldn't run this tournament anywhere other than St Clair or maybe the Lights.
A good way to prepare the kids for future rep teams and build some teamwork, comaraderie amongst the groups rather than just running coaching clinics.

Reply #825796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the suggestions for improving HP or for development tournaments? Seem like a lot of people with far superior minds in here...

Reply #825797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waste of time and counterproductive. Shut it down and funnel the funding back to the clubs and the state program. Set criteria for clubs to receive the funding. Shutdown CoE. CoE staff to do Talent ID, run camps and ensure clubs are delivering quality services.

Better expertise focussed on the athletes. More time for athletes to do things that actually help them develop. Less talent ID screwups. More athletes serviced.

Reply #825801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These teams wont be quality as posted above. NT will be ultra ordinary if split up in NT1 & NT2, SA Country teams will be at a similar standard with NT likely to get a win here and there. SA metro teams will be ok, maybe a good to middle of the road district D1 club teams given they are making 2-3 teams.
With not many teams you could honestly play this tournament at Marion.

Reply #825803 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Playing the tournament in at Marion, you are thinking way too hard. Nice one.
In early January? Be like playing in a sauna. Would expect temps to be approx mid to high 30 degrees outside, not sure what it would be in the tin shed.

Reply #825808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its got air con, and Under 18 programs Metro & Country just used it for a camp.

Reply #825809 | Report this post

Under a Rock  
Years ago

NT actually aren't coming anymore, they pulled out last week.
These events were designed to give both Metro and Country players, coaches and officials a development opportunity that will hopefully improve and raise the standard of everyone involved.
While it's disappointing that both Tasmania and Northern Territory pulled out, it still has merit. This event has absolutely nothing to do with the competition manager and is purely a High Performance idea.
There is zero cost at all to Basketball South Australia with the cost of the entire event split evenly across every team via a registration fee. None of the officials are being paid for any game they referee.

Reply #825810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's really just a glorified bunch of scrimmages. I assume they will be running all the same stuff. What about a chance for coaching development, let all the coaches run their own stuff and see what works and what doesn't. Instead of the same old shit, try something different, will piss all the experts off because apparently they know what's best for every team that comes through despite what strengths and weaknesses a squad brings. State is always trying to make a square peg go in a round hole.

Reply #825817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's just SA playing SA?

Reply #825819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully everyone still gets a trophy?

Reply #825826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"These events were designed to give both Metro and Country players, coaches and officials a development opportunity that will hopefully improve and raise the standard of everyone involved."

Under a rock is a fitting name. That is not the sole purpose of why the event was put on. It was, and is still being advertisied as a replacement for Country Cup, Southern Cross and East Coast. SA v SA is not a replacement for those events. It's the same kids playing against the same kids and paying an additional fee to do it. In a state uniform no less. At a privately run venue for profit, and even worse referees are expected to attend without payment.

This just gets worse and worse for BSA as more facts come out. A complete and utter failure by the organisation, but what else should we expect. They just keep going from bad to worse.

Reply #825828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What an absolute waste of time for coaches that give up their summer break! If it ticks a box for BSA HP then god help us

Reply #825830 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Why should officials work for free ?
With Nationals it's due to them receiving flights & accomodation

While on topic
Why did local refs get a pay cut recently on div 1 games even though post Covid game fee remained the same ?

With one ref on U12 girls games constantly do bsa promote girls as they say ?

Just questions

Reply #825843 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Why should coaches work for free?

Reply #825847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1) Coaching and refereeing is very different.

2) Maybe they shouldn't. Another issue with State programs and this event.

Reply #825848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just get the entire BSA office to ref games as the whole organisation is made up of refs!!

Reply #825854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you use the word ref very loose when you describe that office

Reply #825856 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Anon
The office has an Olympic Referee plus a Wnbl Referee so your comment lacks credibility

Reply #825872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TECH FOUL #856!!!

Reply #825888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players will get nothing out of this apart from saying they played state basketball. Fine print being, no other states entered.
I still think get rid of the stale coaches. Problem is they won't be able to recruit and poach players.

Reply #825889 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Give the kids credit, they know it's not State Basketball. Its an opportunity to play with some quality players from other clubs and develop their own skills.

Reply #825895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#872 a para-Olympic referee and a women in sport referee. But sorry truth. You're clearly more credible

Reply #825902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#872 a para-Olympic referee and a protege of the women in sport program. And you're calling my comments without credibility.

Reply #825903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, the kids know it but won't stop them bragging especially if the get state singlets. Then you got the parents, Karens will be going on about Barnabas making state. Going straight to the pool room.

Reply #825908 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Phil was a Nbl & International Ref for able body & an Olympic Ref for Wheelchair ball which are all great accomplishments

Danika is a Wnbl Ref
No idea what you are on about with woman in sport

Anon you said that you could hardly call themRefs

Your comment is one hundred percent without fact & credibility

Reply #825910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil is one of the best referees from SA. Agreed that was unfair by the other anon.

But no disrespect to Danika, if she was Male she'd be a lowly ranked PL referee at best. She is where she is because she's female. I assume that's the reason for the comments about female participation.

Reply #825911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth, because you are a ref yourself, anything you say about them is also without credibility.

Reply #825912 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

I am not a Referee
I am a coach
You need to have better respect for the game and for those are involved
Merry Christmas

Reply #825914 | Report this post

Gold  
Years ago

Are you apart of the boys club or what

Reply #825915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gold performance is performance. Your gender shouldn't get you a leg up if your performance doesn’t warrant it.

Reply #825916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth, if you say so.
Not hard to work out who is posting.

Reply #825917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you wonder why young kids don't become refs, look at the nonsense posted above.

Reply #825918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because there is no nonsense posted about players on this site at all

Reply #825920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you wonder why male refs quit, look at one reason above.

Reply #825922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams are listed now.

Reply #825923 | Report this post

mmm  
Years ago

Where are they listed?

Reply #825927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scrap the tournament, another BSA High Performance failure.
Let families have the summer off instead of having to commit to a meaningless set of pick up games right in the middle of their holidays.
Instead, get BSA staff to go around to all venues and do stadium maintenance, pull up weeds, fix leaking roofs etc and actually do something productive for their wage, which our fees pay for.

Reply #826001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have the summer off. Nobody is stopping you, or anyone else.

Reply #826004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a meaningless waste of time that could have been conducted on a normal weekend instead of summer holidays.

Reply #826005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't waste your time with it then (more so than you already are).

Reply #826007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would make it really interesting to put in teams of players that weren't selected...bet you they would beat some of these "high performance" squads and expose how woeful BSA HP Boys club corrupt and political talent ID really is.

Reply #826022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep dreaming.

Reply #826028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is actually playing in this tournament? Just SA?

Reply #826374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sa metro, sa country, nt

Wa have a seperate tourney, so too nsw.

Reply #826375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NT are not coming now are they?

Reply #826377 | Report this post

Under a Rock  
Years ago

NT are not coming, it is only SA Metro and SA Country

Reply #826385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Rockets to be the third state invited.

Reply #826418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think there is still benefit for the country kids who struggle to get regular competition of any note. what is concerning is the extremely exorbitant costs involved. it could have also been concluded in a short time period than 5 days!

Reply #826550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that is the only reason the event goes ahead. That is Basketball SA modus operandi. Promote Country.

Or Women. At the additional cost of every single member in SA.

Preferably both. Especially this Comp. Manager

Reply #826551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country are very ordinary so a comp of any kind helps

Reply #826552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are so many people against people playing basketball. Weird. Take every opportunity to play.

Reply #826556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weird that AFL and Cricket aren't played 12 months of the year?

Weird that basketballers quit from burnout or stress related injuries before they even turn 18?

Weird that Coaches, Referees and Admin get burnout from the stress, pressure and required commitment of the sport 12 months of the year, leading to less and less quality?

Its not as simple as just playing basketball.

Reply #826559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weird that SA will probably still win a "historic" silver or bronze medal, claim it as a major achievement, and blame the population and facilities as being the reasons it wasn't gold.

Reply #826563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why shouldn't they promote country and women? so you say metro males are they only group not being promoted? weird. are you suggesting this tournament is being paid for by every single member of basketball SA? i thought it was being met the parents of the participants?

Reply #826564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly you have no idea, I'm not even going to bother.

Reply #826565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country wont win a game at this "open run" BSA holiday fun camp!

Reply #826571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep weird discussion. Nothing wrong with playing bball. Lot wrong with being a negative force. Lighten up and enjoy the fact that people can play - plenty have not been able to over the last year.

Reply #826574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you just ignored all the negatives? Because in your mind there's nothing wrong with playing bball all the time.

I love ice cream but pretty sure there's plenty wrong with me having it for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Just because I can and I love it.

Reply #826575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous comparison.

This thread is driven by some form of jealousy. Perhaps you are being left out and are sad / mad about that. Eat some ice cream and relax.

Reply #826577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This thread is driven by some form of jealousy. Perhaps you are being left out and are sad / mad about that."

This is true of most of the posts anonymous posters to this forum. Cept this post.

Reply #826578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not jealous at all. If my child was in this age group and got an invite we would have happily declined.

I'm sorry you know so little about kids club sport that you think its all that simple.

My ice cream comparison was actually quite perfect really. Just because kids love to play basketball doesn't mean its good for them or their families to do so 24/7.

Still ignoring all the issues that creates, the costs, the referees, coaches and admin commitments.

But just let them play is the only response you have and it's actually ridiculous.

Reply #826579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't play or be involved then. Just eat ice cream.

Reply #826586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dismissing valid comments around the commitment levels we ask of children in our sport, especially children selected in high performance programs, is narrow minded.

I'm not saying the AIC holds no value, (I'm also not saying it does), but it's a valid question to ask.

Reply #826587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Country won't win a game"....?
Not sure what happened at the Nationals a couple of years ago when the Country 16 Boys played off for the Bronze medal?
And the stacked Metro 16 Boys dream team, full of COE, Aus Campers and an Australian rep imploded and flopped to 8th under current BSA HP Manger Scott Butlers coaching?
Sit down, shut up and pull your head in.

Reply #826589 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"My ice cream comparison was actually quite perfect really."

Actually no it is an extremely stupid analogy and a huge exaggeration. On average over 12 months a junior would play a game or have training twice a week. I think you can have an ice cream twice a week. Even if the season is more condensed when the training/games happen it isn't close to your stupid exaggeration of 1095 ice creams a year.

Burn out would be more a cause from bad coaches that has destroyed their love for the game, not making a particular team, being on a team with players they don't like, playing multiple sports, parents that give them the wrong type of support etc

These are young fit healthy juniors that can do a 1 hour game and several training's a week.

Reply #826591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Never looked into a SA topic b4 and now I know why.

Reply #826592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Bro absolute circus over here
Problem is, the clowns are running the show

Reply #826595 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reply #826596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers, but no fit athletic junior is doing just that.

Add to the 1 game and 2 trainings a week so 3.5 hours of basketball (plus travel),
Tournaments every long weekend of up to 5 or 6 games in 3 days,
their college/high school commitment of trainings/game a week,
School Basketball Tournaments, Nationals
Interstate/Overseas Tours
their HP commitment of 1-2 training plus indis,
then state trials, trainings, scratch matches
then possible NBL1 training
and lastly their commitment in their own time at home, at lunch at school, social ball with mates, shooting at the local ring etc.

Yes I'm sure the answer will be they do all that by choice, but drop one and you're blacklisted and won't ever make State get dropped to Div 3 or you'll be required to change school and/or club.

12 months a year, year after year some of the elite kids started playing at 7. Or with Domestic Leagues even younger.

Then add in a bad coach, or a good coach with high expectations, added trainings, weights, fitness sessions. Or a difficult/negative parental group, or team mates you just can't get along with. But have to be around all that time all year round, year after year.

Not to mention US College tapes, Scouts etc.

Then add in they might be an AFL, Soccer or Netball athlete. Or go to a sport specialist school where they'd be required to play another sport if their athletic enough to be at that level.

When do they get a social life? Time for homework, focus on studies? Family holidays? All around their basketball commitments. Have a guess why so many girls quit as they get to 13, hit highschool and social peer pressure hits.

The burden on a player, their whole family (both in time, pressure, expectation and money) is extreme.
I'm more surprised any survive what the system forces kids to go through to "just play".

Reply #826597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

got to love how "athlete burn out" is due to everyone and everything else but not the athlete. the no responsibility generation.

Just for context, approx. how many of the 12 months did SA athletes have the opportunity to play and train in 2020?

Reply #826598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#597 that's in every sport. Would you like some tissues? In 2020 no one has dome any of that.

Reply #826600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/high-performance/tournaments-and-tours/under-14-adelaide-invitational-challenge-teams

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/high-performance/tournaments-and-tours/under-15-adelaide-invitational-challenge-teams

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/high-performance/tournaments-and-tours/under-16-adelaide-invitational-challenge-teams

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/high-performance/tournaments-and-tours/under-18-adelaide-invitational-challenge-teams

Country

https://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36761851

https://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36760468

18s not out yet.

Reply #826601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unfortunately, to be elite and if you have a desire to make basketball your job it is a sport that requires an extremely high level of commitment year on year. i get it that very few will achieve that goal but there are seemingly many who want to give it their best shot of achieving it. comparing it to football may not be the st example as that is a sport where numerous have shown you can not have even played the sport for most of your adolescence and young adulthood but cross over and make it your profession. No one has done that with basketball. perhaps rather than look at football as a comparison looking at another sport. swimming comes to mind as an extremely high commitment level required to reach the elite level ie olympics and worlds. it is simple though, if your child doesnt want to commit or you dont want them too then dont no one is forcing you.

Reply #826602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with #602 but even in AFL at the elite junior levels it isn't just 6 months a year. They have endless camps, training sessions etc If you’re playing TAC Cup for example you get about 8 week away from the club a year but in that 8 weeks you still have to do individuals so you come back in shape. Elite sport is a commitment

Reply #826603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro teams seem as though they have enough for 3 teams per age group whilst country are going with 2 teams of 9?
I would assume country dont have sufficient numbers across the board?
Can see this being a training run for the metro teams!

Reply #826619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are three country teams in under 14 boys. im sure it is a numbers thing in other age groups. perhaps it drops away as parents have understanding of he cost after being involved in under 14 the previous year!

Reply #826621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro coaching line up looks the best its looked in years. 95% of the country coaches I've never heard of so cant really comment on their coaching line up.

Reply #826626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#6597 you don't get to an elite level without HUGE commitment and little ice cream. If your point is that it’s too much for kids who want to play at a v good level without going further, then yeah sure it can be. That’s a decision a family needs to make, and many don’t do so in a deliberate manner.

Reply #826628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On a serious point about drop off after 14s, it's that age kids probably have to specialize at a sport and most boys go to footy full time, some just use summer seasons to get fitness work in. West used to have some good athletes, but because you knew they wouldn't play winter, you put them in lower divs. Then the parents would have a whinge, why is their son playing div 3 or 4.

Reply #826631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is not doing too much. It is that some of us parents feel obliged to commit our kids to a pathway with substandard coaching, talent ID and leadership in this state to the detriment of the development of the children. Just look at most of the older guys "making it" and the coaches that REALLY help them. It has nothing to do with this rubbish. This stuff is just a distraction from the things that matter for the kids and takes up their valuable time that could be spent actually getting better.

How often do kids that "make it" boycott this stuff, get cut from it, or don't make it until the 11th hour when the AIS or BA sees them then suddenly they get picked locally?

It is for fools by fools.

Reply #826632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ exactly. High performance programs have to justify their existence with rubbish like this. Majority of the kids will never make it. Good argument is you don't know if you don't try. That's where clubs come in. They should be ones doing development, it's in their interest.

Reply #826634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How often do kids that "make it" boycott this stuff, get cut from it, or don't make it until the 11th hour when the AIS or BA sees them then suddenly they get picked locally?"

Not very often.

Reply #826635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to really know how disgraceful the BSA HP talent ID is, Olbrich from the Tigers never played Nationals. Never competed for SA Metro at a National tournament.
Word is he's off to the NBA Global Academy.
That’s gross negligence from those employed at BSA High Performance, Basketball Australia should come in and seize control of the program.

Reply #826636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

635, talk to the athletes and their families. It is actually most of the time in SA.

Reply #826637 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

636 Olbtich should've probably made U 16 but didn’t and missed out on a very strong 18’s team that won a medal as a bottom ager and was going to 18’s until covid hit . The program has worked well for many athletes who have benefited from exposure at nationals , Rasmussen, Griffen and Ipassou most recently. For many athletes it’s part of the journey and whether it’s beneficial or not is often up to the individual. So many experts on here with no accountability

Reply #826639 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

The Adelaide Invitational was proposed by SA Country to replace the Country Cup in Albury, it was hoped other states could compete but unfortunately this is not the case. Still an important tournament for all involved

Reply #826640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

637, name some then. I'm not saying the high performance program is the reason for kid's success - just pointing out you're categorically incorrect in your assertion.

636, I have nothing but respect for the young man (knowing him personally), but assuming that anyone was a great player several years ago because they are a great player now, frankly, is moronic. He had potential, was extremely coachable and worked his tail off to get where he is now. It's also obvious he would have played this year, were it not for Covid. As a bottom-ager among a very talented top-age group, it's also obvious that competition for spots was tough.

It's pretty clear you both have a vendetta against BSA. I get that and actually agree with a lot of the points you make, but shitposting like this completely negates that to the point that nobody actually cares about your perspective.

Reply #826641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olbrich is 6'10", averages 25+pts a game and just led the Tigers to the State Champs/Grand Final titles.
He has never played Nationals because he didn’t play for a big inner city club. Everyone knows the whole thing is corrupt, don’t try and defend it.
Some of the players that miss out is beyond belief.
Basketball is a fantastic game and should be in a position to challenge the AFL as the premier sport in this country, but all the political boys club nepotistic crap continues to keep the handbrake on.

Reply #826642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How exactly are a few trial games vs your own State an important tournament Barry?

Reply #826643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're a clueless idiot, 642. I'm done reading this garbage.

Reply #826644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need. If you don't know then you don't know but the funny thing is Barry named at least 2 that show the corruption and nepotism in the talent ID process here.

Reply #826645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

642, until recently Olbrich was always only a fringe guy. His rapid improvement in the past 12 months is what's taken him to where he is at now. It's not that he's ever been overlooked, he just wasn't the elite player he is now. Absolutely dominated the grand final a few weeks back.

Reply #826646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talent ID is about the here and now and more importantly the potential and capacity for improvement.
If BSA HP couldn't see that Olbrich was going to become the player he is now, with his size, basketball IQ and the skill set he had a couple of years ago then they should be replaced by people who can.
He’s shown plenty over a long period of time.

Reply #826647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

646, correct. These programs are supposed to do talent ID and player development. Not jumping on kids when they are elite as you put it. They were supposed to actually help him get there. That is why they are funded. They almost always don't help these kids at all.

That is why events like this are an issue. They take valuable time away from the kids and their families.

Reply #826648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

644...a clueless idiot or right on the money? Maybe you are part of the boys club and it got a bit close to home.
BSA HP has lost all credibility over the years.
That's why a club like North are loading up their program, forging a new pathway where they in full control of their talent ID and development and bypassing the political swamp.
Any young promising player in this State should be looking at pathways like Transition, HPHN, CLF etc for proper development and opportunities from proper Coaches and experts.

Reply #826652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't put CLF in there re talent identification they feed information into bsa hp, their sessions are far from independent he consults directly with bsa hp and the coaches that support these are influential with bsa hp it’s part of the closed shop

Reply #826656 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"until recently Olbrich was always only a fringe guy."

If my memory is correct he was the league leading scorer in 16s when he wasn't selected. Hardly sounds like a fringe player if that was the case. Instead a couple of North bench players where ahead of him that are div 2 18's players now. Anyone could tell that those players had inflated stats due to having a physically dominate team.

Reply #826657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know if Olbrich is the best example of high performance failing.

Not certain but I’m pretty sure he’s been a part of the various basketball sa high performance programs for many years and made the final state squad as a second year 16s (should of made the team), a reserve in 18s as a bottom ager (unlucky but fair as the second year bigs were really good and SA got a silver), made the team in 18s as a second year and made the 20s as a bottom ager.

All sports will have stories of those overlooked making it at a later date and vice versa.

How many NBA All Star stories are there out there of players who didn’t have any of the big time college programs recruiting them such as Lillard and Curry.

Reply #826658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yaak is another guy that hasn't actually suited up in a proper tournament for SA (correct me if I’m wrong here) yet will be going to AIS at the start of the school year. He is still eligible to play in 18s this year but maybe has realised the rewards for playing for BSA aren’t really what it’s all cracked up to be. While yes previously he experienced injuries in 16s, to his hip from memory, and couldn’t go last year because of COVID but is currently training w the 36ers and is choosing to not play state out of choice. With him and pihillipou both not playing state it outlines that maybe kids are starting to realise that playing for BSA isn’t really desirable.

Reply #826660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps a bigger question than the SA Metro ones are why so many of the SA Country U16 team that got top 4 two years ago aren't even playing club basketball any more? 6 of the 10 don’t appear to be playing club basketball at all. I’m assuming most are playing footy but still disappointing.

Reply #826661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

661...the commitment required from Country players and their families is huge. Non stop travel from Mt Gambier Broken Hill Pt Lincoln and everywhere in between.
The time and money involved is staggering and it eventually takes a toll.
It's funny watching these Metro types taking pot shots from their privileged seats when their biggest worry is if training is at Wayville or St Clair.

Reply #826670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not one person has commented about training location being an issue nice try playing the victim though.

Reply #826673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to clarify that around 90% of Country players play Div 1 District ball and some of their players are amongst the most talented in their age groups. They make huge sacrifices in travel to compete at the highest level.

Reply #826676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's no doubting that country have some pockets of really talented kids, but their coaches are dreadful. The kids are way more talented than those leading them and in most cases have more of an idea.

Reply #826730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, that's an incredible thing to say ... and quite weak under the cover of anonymity. Take a look at yourself buddy. Shocker.

Reply #826745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Country program has some fantastic Coaches
Frost Harris Stratford Millard etc and many more that are developing
Your comment is lazy and baseless.

Reply #826792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What have they achieved compared to their metropolitan counterparts?

Reply #826800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that's country's four best then wow!
Never heard of Millard and Frost

Reply #826815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like some posters here missed out on a coaching role. If so, then good decision given the negativity.

Reply #826819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every coach that applied got a gig for country as they are struggling with numbers.

Reply #826834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

815 they are all District division 1 Coaches....they must be doing something right.

Reply #826838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are spectators allowed at this tournament?

Reply #827008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It starts today right? Is there a fixture anywhere?

Reply #827039 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

https://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?a=ROUND&round=1&client=1-11966-0-577101-0&pool=1

Reply #827042 | Report this post

SportingSven  
Years ago

Well done to the Country lads in one of their Under 16's win on the board first up...did someone say Country wouldn't win a game? And mention of a training run for the Metro teams.

Sure things will crank up a gear or two now, but good to see the under dogs with some early bite!

Sorry not sure which coaches were involved in the two teams.

Reply #827051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro not doing to well overall.

Reply #827052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dam, metro suck. Got to take into account 4 teams over 2

Reply #827053 | Report this post

sportingSven  
Years ago

Under 18 Girls
Metro Red 48
Country Magpies 49

Under 18 Boys
Metro Red 68
Country Magpies 45

Under 16 Girls
Metro Red 43
Country Magpies 42

Under 16 Boys
Metro Red 54
Country Magpies 60

Are the scores posted so far...earlier games not up as yet for some reason.

Reply #827054 | Report this post

sportingSven  
Years ago

Dam, metro suck. Got to take into account 4 teams over 2.

Only 3 teams over 2, which seems fairish. Teams have shared talent though, so no team is "stacked"

Reply #827057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These games mean absolutely nothing. I'm surprised they're even bothering to keep score.

Just an excuse for BSA employees to justify their jobs for doing nothing, and a chance to promote the golden boys and girls in the systems.

Reply #827075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro really suck in these games! Maybe Country are better than advertised?

Reply #827084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi there, would like to know if there are any takeaways from the games so far and which players are looking like standouts? Preferably in the 18s but any age group would be interesting. Personally, from the 18s games I've seen Osborne has been looking really impressive, rasmussen’s younger brother has been good too as well as McDonald in regard to the first years. A shame that yaak isn’t playing but ah well understandable. Some of the bigs look like they’ve got genuine shots on them, any idea how this team is set to go at nationals?

Reply #827267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U18 women
Borlase(04) - clear standout

U16 women
Gardiner(06) - clear standout

Top 3 atm

U18 men
Wyatt, Osborne, Bruce

U16 men
Dodson, sauer, morrow

Reply #827269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sa metro n country have no hope at nationals in the girls.
Both boys teams gae a shot

Reply #827270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro that is..

Reply #827271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed. Naming U18 player.)

Reply #827273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There won't be any Nationals.

Reply #827274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA on top after day 3. Early prediction of an SA Gold making it's way back to BSA headquarters.

Reply #827301 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed. Naming U18 player.)

Reply #827372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any COE prospects?
Think Borlase is the only one from sa?

Reply #827374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact of the matter most of the success for these athletes comes through which club environment they are in. The player development, mentoring, guidance and support they receive at club level is the greatest influence to their success and achievement outside of their own inherent capabilities and direct family support. Normally it is 1or2 individuals within the club that truly drive this in a direct, specific way for athletes.

Looking at top 5 scorers in U18s for example I note:
1. Sturt
2. North
3. North
4. Sturt
5. Sturt

It's not hard for families to figure out if they do their research and make smart decisions.

Reply #827375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact as our Deputy PM states it maybe.

Fact is the matter of most success comes from the athlete themselves. Having the physical attributes, ability and attitude required to make it to the very highest level. Other factors compliment this but it varies greatly depending on the athlete as to what environment is best. As an example it should be remembered that Newley's U18 Club team didn't win a game. He's done ok for himself since.

Parents only need consider that, and also any impact on the player of moving clubs, negative or positive.

Reply #827379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at top 5 scorers in U18s boys for example I note that they all want to move to winning teams thereby diluting the competition:

1. Sturt
2. Eastern then North
3. Forestville, Woodville then north now back to woodville
4. Eastern then Sturt
5. Forestville then sturt

Reply #827380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ahaha grabbing a single example from over 25 yrs ago to demonstrate argument. By top age, U20s Newley was one of the best in the nation. He had great coaching to support his inherent gifts and family support. It is not about how many games his club team win it was about the development.

380, no. They moved to get better. It is clearly working. Smart move. They have improved at a rate far faster than their peers.

Reply #827389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

389, are you one of them? Because if not, who do you think you are to speak for them?
Reality is you have no idea why they moved.
You're making something up to suit your argument.

Reply #827396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK run with that. Waste your time, energy and money. Worse still that of your child.

Reply #827402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on you 402.
Keep telling yourself that champ.
Whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

Reply #827403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best advice for any parent is....let your kid play where they are happy..
Clubs out there will promise the world, tell you that your kid is college, COE, NBL, NBA bound if you move...that they have the best coaches etc
They are trying to poach their way to success.
Truth is these same clubs don't REALLY care about your kid...they are just trying to load up their teams and stockpile all the talent to compete in Melbourne club tournaments and in the long run it hurts SAs competition and player development, because it dilutes the overall strength of our district comp.
It’s all fools gold and if BSA were serious they would outlaw the systematic poaching tactics these clubs employ.
Great players will be great no matter what and no matter where.
Adelaides born and bred and most famous NBA player Joe Ingles isn’t from North Norwood or Sturt...he’s from Southern Tigers.
If your kid is happy in the club and team environment and keep developing their love for basketball, thats the best chance of success for a junior player.
Then the game has got them for life, not like the huge burnout and drop off after under 18s we have now.

Reply #827410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very well said 410.

Reply #827412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fairness through the majority of Ingles junior career the Tigers were one of the "big clubs"

Reply #827416 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How do you suggest they outlaw poaching.

Reply #827418 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

Perfectly said #410

Reply #827423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

418 I believe clubs should be given zones and/or regions to develop.
Give Centrals, Eastern and Southern their regions as they are Country based district clubs.
A lot of the Metro teams are aligned with schools... Norwood/PAC...Sturt/Cabra....North/ Nazareth which is a major advantage anyway to be able to develop players in that academy based system.
Let clubs invest in their communities, schools and neighbourhoods...get creative and productive and see how good they REALLY are at coaching and developing players....not just going to an Adelaide Invitational and poaching players from clubs they perceive as "weaker" ....there's no honour in that.

Reply #827425 | Report this post

Anonimouse  
Years ago

To add to the weirdness of this whole "tournament" BSA will be using the "Elam Ending" scoring format for the 14/15s.

Masterstroke.

Reply #827601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games over the 18's and 16's were "ok" standard, nothing earth shuttering to report. Metro on top or 1-2 in all grades as expected. Both Metro and Country would resllt struggle if there was a Nationals.

Reply #827617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you basing that "struggling" opinion on the bronze the metro boys won two years ago, or the silver the metro girls won?

Reply #827619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country would be in struggle town but they always are anyway. Metro would be around the mark IMO

Reply #827628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or get Scott Butler to coach the Metro boys at the Nationals again? See if he can finish higher than 8th this time...

Reply #827745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good is Somfai going to be???
I know she's still young but it’s like watching the 2nd coming of LJ

Reply #827746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imo only looks good on highlights, will be a 6'3 sf poormans Alba torrens.

Reply #827747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a negative by the way.

Reply #827748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put in Heaps of work clearly but when ajcs come around we'll see, only 07 so bottom ager this year.

Reply #827749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LJ is a pf/c, Lara clearly a wing. An Aussie comparison would be a rebecca Allen

Reply #827750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's 13, not really appropriate to talk about her on an Internet Forum!

Reply #827751 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

(Mod: Naming U18 player.

Reply #827752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

751 US high school players are all over the internet...already have a big profile.
That's where she will be headed.

Reply #827753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just don't say anything negative.
A good player now, look forward to seeing what she’ll become.

Reply #827754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lehmann looks like the prospect to watch on the country side.

Reply #827755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Somfai has Transition and HPHN overseeing her career and development....you will start to see a lot of promising young SA players take this pathway.
Smart move
The less she has to do with BSA HP, the better.

Reply #827768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So SA HP system ain't very good?

Reply #827769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think most state hp programs are looking dated.

Reply #827770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Transition, HPHN and SA HP are not mutually exclusive for SA HP athletes. They all serve different needs. Sure SA HP has many issues in SA but it has done so nice the NG era. HPHN and Transition are just filling in the holes, but are not alternative paths.

Reply #827772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the quality of State HP coaches probably varies greatly between individuals in every State.

Reply #827774 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Talking shit about a 13 year old, classy.

Reply #827777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country 15 girls doing surprising well! All other grades metro are pumping them.

Reply #827792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I predict both somfai and Lehmann will be in the sapphires squad in 22' u15/23 u16/24 u17
It looks asthough there are 2 standout 07s per state.

Reply #827795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I've seen in the boys and watched a few games, Metro U15's stronger than U16's looking into future. Under 15 Metro too strong for the two country teams. Country have 3 lads that are looking good but across 2 teams that ain't going to work, maybe should have only entered 1 team? Metro (Mackenzie, Cotton, Sabine, Maleza) Country (Lindner, Corbett, Marr McGuire) same names that pretty much appeared in the top stats in Div 1 Under 14 from last season.

Reply #827960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone have stats for the wa tournament?

Reply #827961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

960 great work
You've just handed Sturt their 2021 poaching hit list

Reply #827969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country 14's teams are very average to be kind. If they had one team then at least the standard would be better.
The 3 teams would be low D2 standard at very best maybe even D3.

Reply #827984 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not sure there 984, two of the country U14 teams are higher on the "ladder" than two of the metro teams (noted 4 teams are on 2-2 wine loss ratio) So on that comment you are saying that 2 of the metro teams would also only be D2/3...that should be great concern for future in SA?

Reply #828048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 14's standard is not very good. I think this is a product of our HP system.

Reply #828068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont know what ladder your referring to? Metro clearly better!

Reply #828079 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The Sports TG website 079, after todays "finals"
Metro U 14 boys 1&2 County 3&4 then Metro then Country.

Girls yep metro way ahead.

Reply #828095 | Report this post

Poor  
Two years ago

2022 Tournament Underway

Promoted as being live streamed if you have Advertiser Subscription.

There was decent publicity of it in paper during the week

I already subscribe, so had a look and they could not even be bothered having commentary or a PA.

It just vision with the score for "SAM v SAC"

No mention of the age being shown, what SAM & SAC stand for, is it boys or girls?

No time remaining, who has scored how manty points, or committed how many fouls. There is not even a PA to listen into.

I would be pretty pissed if I paid just to watch and got something at this poor standard.

Why go to the effort of promoting a live stream and then presenting something so half assed?

Reply #881689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"I already subscribe" You may (not sure why) but how many parents etc did just for this event. Promoted to try and make people pay for outdated service that loses huge numbers.

Reply #881693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Does newscorp put any money into events like this or are they just capitalising on the fact there are capped spectators.

Reply #881696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Assuming

14 09-10
16 07-08
18 05-06

Reply #881699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Actually

14 09
15 08
16 07
18 06-05

Reply #881701 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

Poor you paid $4.....

I would just be happy with more games been streamed

Reply #881711 | Report this post

-  
Two years ago

These clubs (with assistance) need to develop their own areas. The areas you mention have a huge influx of new housing and young families - in 5-10 years they will be huge.
Country players should be able to chose where they go.
Re aligning schools - again people should be a able to chose. Other factors would be persons attached to the school are involved a club and naturally the pathway is there.

IMO best way to increase is some more courts and grass roots pathways.

Reply #881729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I know some have big wraps on Lehmann after ajcs and avg 21-14-4, very high iq for her age but That pg spot is pretty jam packed in other states too. Hasn't dominated as I expected at the aic against kids her own age so far. Was outstanding against older kids at u16 nationals. Might find it tough to get a spot in future jnr n.t still I reckon even after big performances in 2021. Selection for oceanias is this year. It’s Clear tas has a couple of good 07 pgs, qld 2(seen at ajc), but nsw and vic also have a couple each.

Reply #881752 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754