Jack Toft
Years ago

R 1: Sixers v United Fri 15th Jan

Well..... I'm more excited than Chairman Dan after getting a FB friend request from St Nicola.
usually by this time we are halfway through the season, but on Friday night the season opens when the Sixers host the Melbourne United, Unites. Fresh from a six month stint of Covid Quarantine, these plucky Melbourne boys should be easy to pick from lack of sunlight. A diet of soy latte and organic tofu burgers should see them ready to pounce.
Pre-season has been difficult and teams haven't really wanted to show their hand. The Melbourne boys seem to be the most senior team on court this season Goulding (302 games) and Barlow (300) are in the autumn of their careers but would be handy on most rosters. Ili (128) and McCarron (125) have good solid experience behind too. Hopson had a great previous season with NZ so he will be one to watch IMHO.

Johnson (321) takes the goodies for the most experienced player on both teams, then Teys (234), then it's a pretty fresh looking Sixers outfit. There's no doubt Melbourne will have more games played for their starting 5, so this game might be a really good indicator of whether the Sixers will be making up numbers, or if their youth and enthusiasm will see them power over others.

A lot of talk around Sloan and it's been a few seasons since the Sixers had a good import. I think we've had ones with one leg shorter than the other, short ones, slow ones, fat ones, ones with one eye, ones who ego problems. I think Sixers fans are looking for a good one this season. And of course we all say "giddy up" with perhaps one of the most promising young players since Mitch Creek turned up as a pimply faced cornstalk from Horsham.

A cracker of a game to open the season. New coach for the Sixers and a young, fresh outfit against the "Old Blue". I think there's going to be some nerves for both teams and the opening quarter will be fast action - can the older United legs keep up, or will we see some professional "stops"? The quarter to watch for me is the third. Over the previous seasons the Sixers may have misheard it as the turd quarter, as they have lost too many games after the long break.

Goulding is a confidence player and if the Sixers can get into the head(s) of the Tassie boy early, then it is their game to lose. They should have the legs to run United around the court and they just need to play a simple basic, low risk, high reward game. The Scouting report is out on the United coach, but Conner Henry would have a few tricks up his sleeve.

We've been waiting for this for too long. Sixers by 5.

Topic #47969 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Please let United's undefeated season start with this loss.

Reply #827512 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good write up but no mention of Landale's undefeated prediction? I think that prediction might go out the window in Game 1 of the season. I could see the Sixers jagging this one after all the training camp interruptions in Melbourne due to the lockdown etc.

Sixers by 6

Reply #827513 | Report this post

Jazr  
Years ago

Can't wait to see how Adelaide use Josh Giddy. At 6’8" he’s going to cause some major matchup problems. McCarron / Ili just won’t have the length to go with him. The Landale v Humphries head to head is also going to be interesting.

Reply #827514 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While Daniel Johnson announced Captain, today.

Reply #827515 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

God no.

Not DJ.

Give it to Teys.

Reply #827516 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Co -Captain = Teys

Reply #827517 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yeah... "United's undefeated season" I didn't want to burst their bubble too quickly

Reply #827519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait! It’s been to long, don’t care who wins, just want a great game.

Reply #827522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel @ $2.90. United @ $1.42. I doubt the upset. But as United are title fav's they won't want to lose the opener.

Reply #827529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there was a drinking game for cliches from OP, I'd be pissed after second sentence. Stop trying to be BT and just give a writeup.

Reply #827531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers by 22 and Landale to injure his micro-penis at the end of the third quarter as he dreams of playing in a league he isn't good enough for.

Reply #827532 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[A diet of soy latte and organic tofu burgers should see them ready to pounce.]

That's a good one.

Never heard it around here before.

Reply #827535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#532 I'm pretty confident I know who has the micro penis out of you and landale

Reply #827545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you an expert on everyone's penis?

Reply #827547 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Jack Toft, I missed you.

Reply #827548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne to win but they will not go undefeated.

Reply #827549 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

always enjoy your write ups

anon 531 obviously hasnt been here for very long...

Whats the crowd capacity 50%?

Will be interesting IF that plays a part throughout the season too

Reply #827558 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

oooh, getting that NBL vibe again reading gold from Jack Toft. Love it mate

Reply #827573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne United by 15-20pts. Then hit the showers to get the adelaide off.

Reply #827585 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Whats the crowd capacity 50%?

Good question. Anyone?

Reply #827699 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

75%

Reply #827701 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pinder starting over Humphries

Reply #827803 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Is this on sbs on demand is it just me who can't find it?

Reply #827804 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

yes it is keep scrolling through the options on the front page, the NBL one was about three clicks in

Reply #827806 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

thanks zodiac - appreciate it

Reply #827807 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

got it ....had a bloke look

Reply #827808 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Humphries is struggling a bit

Reply #827811 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't see a lot of spacing amongst the lower bowl.

Reply #827812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please drag Acuil. Pathetic.

Reply #827814 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Miss Nicola won't be impressed.

Reply #827815 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

That's Saint Nicola to you!

Reply #827816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The vuy is holding the monitor for replay, buffoonery.

Reply #827817 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Does this mean NBL will be big in Japan now?

Reply #827818 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Giddey is a bit good

Reply #827819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United look ...underwhelming for a team that think they will be undefeated this season.

Reply #827820 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Those snippets they showed of United's players talking the team up as if they're some type of dynasty... then McCarron admits the league does tend to humble teams that get ahead of themselves, which is followed up by Landale's infamous undefeated statement. F'in LOL, great producing there.

Reply #827821 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

For a game without any structured offensive sets and pretty much run and gun it is low scoring

Reply #827823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That "Everybody clap your hands" sound bite needs to be killed off from all venues immediately.

Reply #827825 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Pretty ugly half really.

Reply #827826 | Report this post

shake n bake  
Years ago

Good to see DJ has been working in the off season on his milking fouls.... Still the best in the business!

Reply #827827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddley looks great, Goulding still good. McCarron struggling at the point. Johnson fantastic, I like the look of Adelaide coach. Humphries not so good. Enjoying the game, just great to see the game back.

Reply #827828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United still favourites with the bookies. Horrible game.

Reply #827829 | Report this post

shake n bake  
Years ago

Giddey looks awesome...Glad that Joey isnt there to stop his growth................

Reply #827830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both teams look very rusty.
The 36ers imports both look completely washed up.
Shea Ili has owned Sloan defensively.

Reply #827831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Donald Sloan is definitely in some MVP form...

Reply #827832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson is a big solid sack of shit who fouls hard and sets a good screen

Reply #827833 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Even in preseason it looked like Sloan has no idea of the calibre of league he's joined. Too much showboating.

Reply #827834 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

some full on coaching there for Connor

Reply #827835 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Send Crocker and Sloan home on the same flight

Reply #827836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide imports not doing it, 33 and 34 years old, this is no cup cake league.

Reply #827837 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Crocker too many defensive lapses. Expected more from a vet.

Reply #827838 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You've overdribbled and you haven’t even fkn played. Gold

Reply #827839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Agree. Both of them have been awful.
Crocker has turned the ball over at least 5 times on the dribble. Sloan's body language is awful. He’s an experienced former NBA guard and he’s getting torn a new one. They had better turn things around quick or they will be sent packing

Reply #827841 | Report this post

carl  
Years ago

its going to be a lonnng season

Reply #827842 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well done to whoever it was that hit the under 13.5pts option for Sloan on Betfair.

Reply #827843 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The on-court advertising stickers must have been sourced from the Philippines.

Reply #827844 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Paul Rees has some mean front teeth.

Reply #827845 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Damn. That fourth quarter was the quietest I've ever heard a Adelaide home crowd.

Reply #827846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baba for 6th man of the year, plays great D too.

Reply #827847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of teys and Dillon ASAP
All those g league guys that are now available. Pick up a Broekhoff, one of the maker brothers, a jois or a bolden.

Reply #827848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide a strong favorite for 9th spot.

Reply #827849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early days but this looks like a team JVG put together,not lot balance there. Pinder, Humphries, Dech, McVeigh already look overrated. Coach was right, dribble, dribble f..king dribble.

Reply #827850 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If I were running the club unless I saw substantial improvement out of Sloan in the next game I would punt his ass. Crocker's a cheaper role playing import a bit like Moore was but Sloan is an ex-NBA vet his effort and body language was appalling Shea Ili was humiliating him defensively.

Unfortunately Humphries still looks like the soft, flakey and disinterested big man he was for the Kings a couple of years ago.

Reply #827851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Mudronja at??? Team playing terrible, he doesn’t get 1 second on the floor...even the DP got minutes!

Reply #827852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very concerning signs for Adelaide.
The imports stunk tonight but the guy that alarmed me the most was Isaac Humphries. If the rumours he is the highest paid Australian in the league outside of Landale, the 36ers have been ripped

Reply #827853 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

26 points in the second half for a team that is normally an offensive powerhouse.

Disappointed.

Reply #827854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sloan/Giddey/Mudronja
Import/Dech
Broekhoff/Mcveigh
Maker/Pinder
Johnson/Humphries

Cut teys, Dillon and Crocker.

Reply #827855 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Hopsin? Thoughts

Reply #827857 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Hopson

Reply #827858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports looked terrible. They need at least one 20PPG import to be competitive.

Reply #827859 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #827860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sloan played well in preseason so I think he'll do better.
Crocker is a cheaper import, they’ll need a high scoring sg.

Reply #827861 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How much did they pay Humphries to play 11 minutes and go 1/6 from the line?

Reply #827862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need a PG. The only play that worked all night was pick-and-pop for DJ, no one was able to get them into any sort of flow in offence.

Reply #827863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ had a true captains knock!

Reply #827864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, it's all Teys & Dillons fault. And they should be cut for two nba guys.

Brilliant.

Reply #827865 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

But JvG is a genius!

Reply #827866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries is a Moldovan special. JVG just can't say no to Daniel.

Reply #827867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The JVG problem continues.

Reply #827868 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sloan 27m 3p 4a 3to 1-6 fg (1-3 3p)

Crocker 26m 5p 3s 5to 2-10 fg (1-3 3p)

Humphries 12m 5p 3r 2to 2-4 fg, 1-6 ft

DJ only Sixer in double figures scoring 27 of the team's 65 points.

Reply #827869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pinder came off the bench in Switzerland last season, early days but not certain he's up to standard. How many Moldovan guys in Adelaide? Seems a good question. In all that though the imports were terrible.

Reply #827870 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I appreciate the Sixers franchise ensuring, right out of the blocks, that I won't miss our 25 years of family tickets.

Yikes.

Reply #827871 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Did we just see the worst starting five in 36ers history? Terrible on offence (DJ aside) and yet somehow even worse on defence.

I reckon just forget everyone else and run Giddey/Johnson pick and rolls for 40 minutes the rest of the season. McVeigh can stand in the corner if he likes I guess.

Reply #827872 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

How much did they pay Humphries to play 11 minutes and go 1/6 from the line?

The talk on here at the time we signed him was $400k a season highest paid Aussie in the league, until United signed Landale of course.

Reply #827873 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems there was a little bit of over-dribbling

Reply #827874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe to get Giddey, JVG had to take Humphries...and Pinder. Surprised Venky wasn't thrown in for good measure.

DJ deserves better than this.

Reply #827875 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'll be the first to admit I love the first half, but the second half was a pedestrian performance by the Sixers. Well done to United.

Why do I feel like Trump tweeting?

Reply #827876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barry Crocker that's all.

Reply #827877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Press conference.

Henry says hewing go home and beat his kids, lol wtf

Reply #827878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He won't’

Reply #827879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't Mudronja get on?

Reply #827880 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

A lot of people hyped up Humphries when he was signed, and yeah claimed he was on mega bucks. I didn't really believe, but if so it was a bad investment. I never really understood what he was doing in America, as I never saw him as being that Good.
I assumed that with all the hype, that we would start at 5 with DJ at 4. Lol.
He's a decent backup 5, and if that's all they're paying him as, then well and good.

Not sure how Teys still has a job, but we hired White, so can hardly throw stones.

And yeah, your imports were shit.

Great effort by DJ, but can't carry the team alone.

Reply #827881 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As for MU, well they got the job done, in a very ugly game. I guess everyone's still a bit rusty.
Not sold on McCarron at PG, looked better with Ili.
CG off to a Good start, as was Acuil. If Landale and Hopson hit their straps this could be a formidible lineup

Reply #827882 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Where are you guys getting the idea that the Sixers defence was bad? Held Melbourne to 37 points in the first half after Goulding opened up on fire. Only 89 for the game too. Most teams would feel they had a good chance of beating Melbourne if they kept them under 90.

Our imports had shockers offensively, but I think our offence could be fixed quite easily. They just need to move the ball instead of over-dribbling and running pick and roll every play. Melbourne was ready for that and swamped the ball handler every time.

Reply #827884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it all the uncontested layups and wide open jump shots?

Reply #827887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares if they had great defence. Scoring wins games and I can see why (yet again) that many have tipped them to be bottom. Henry can't coach.

Reply #827888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth sacked him for a reason

Reply #827890 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Although it's just one game, good to see giddey play well, hopefully all the kids saying the typical 'he’s too young and won’t be ready’ junk before even a single game have piped down now. Also, isn’t Humphries on some big coin? If so then that performance was quite disappointing, unless there’s an injury or something else we’re not privy too then that seems like a waste of money

Reply #827892 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Also not trying to disparage the young man, but what what are the rules around length to be a dp, I swear this will be short's 3rd year as one, and obviously he’s still young so he’s got time to develop, but if I’m United I’d start to get worried that no developing is actually occurring

Reply #827893 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You anons realise Connor Henry was an NBA assistant coach a few years ago and G-League Coach of the Year too since leaving the NBL right? Aiiight.

Reply #827894 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Also not trying to disparage the young man, but what what are the rules around length to be a dp, I swear this will be short's 3rd year as one

I think Dwayne Russell said this is his 4th season with United. You can spend I think a maximum of four seasons as a DP before the team has to then offer you a spot on the roster so this is likely his final season to impress.

Kyle Adnam spent four seasons as a DP ( 1 x Adelaide, 1 x Wollongong, 2 x United) before finally getting onto United's roster.

Reply #827895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure do. He can't coach. Aiight! Humphries the poor mans Landale yet getting paid similar. He should be charged with fraud as should the 6'ers imports. Who picked them? JVG or Henry. Long season ahead.

Reply #827896 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I highly doubt Humphries is being paid anywhere near what Landale is.

Reply #827897 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

It is no myth that pre-Landale Humphries was the highest paid local in the league.

Liam Santa mentioned it.

It's early days not panic stations.

So far not great signs though.

Reply #827898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short will be a very good player, still only 22. As usual some people have no idea.

Reply #827899 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not reading too much into one game but great to see JLA playing like that. His raw potential was obvious, this could be the year it clicks more consistently

Giddey looks like he belongs on the court, which says plenty about him when he just turned 18. NBA one day

White exactly what United needed in that spot. Hustles hard, strong defender, hits the boards.

Crocker and Sloane disappointing, Hopson too but give them time to find their legs

Not sure DJ can handle the 4 defensively so this Adelaide group will be interesting, he played great tonight though

Reply #827901 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Where are you guys getting the idea that the Sixers defence was bad?

Probably from the ridiculous amount of offensive rebounds they gave up, the lack of help and rotations, the weak perimeter D which constantly exposed that lack of help and rotations, leading to lay ups and dunks (what did Landale have, 5 dunks?)...

It was terrible.

Reply #827903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG is one of the worst recruiters there is. Literally has no idea.

Reply #827904 | Report this post

Anony  
Years ago

Steady Freddy. Early days.. held United to below 90.. not all doom or gloom.. let imports get feel of comp..Henry got plenty rotations to use...

Reply #827905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne currently undefeated.
Adelaide look spoon bound unfortunately but great for Giddey as he will get more minutes and stats as season progresses.
La Melo played heaps on a rubbish Hawks team. This Adelaide team are also rubbish.

Reply #827906 | Report this post

Truth Seeker  
Years ago

Any 10 randoms in the crowd could beat these Washington Gener.. uh Adelaide 36ers.

They were trash, are trash, and have no talent for NBL1 level let alone NBL.

Reply #827911 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Cheers Zodiac, and anon899 I never said he wouldn't become one it’s just that after all this time there doesn’t seem to be any significant signs of development, that can all change tho

And still early days but I doubt Humphries will continue to look like that

Reply #827912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Isaac Humphries achieves nothing else in his career he can say he played in the NBA.

Reply #827916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor got sacked for playing good but name didn't sell tickets ... Sloan won’t be cut because he played in the NBA and has a resume to his name

Reply #827918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't feel so bad about Perth roster now after seeing this Adelaide rubbish.

Reply #827921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Although it's just one game, good to see giddey play well, hopefully all the kids saying the typical 'he's too young and won’t be ready’ junk before even a single game have piped down now."

He showed some really nice signs, but also showed he's not yet ready to be a point guard at this level.

How often did he dribble with his head down when he was put under pressure? And then he'd pick up the dribble in the wrong entry spot, before he had someone to give it to, and throw his team out of offence before it had begun. Other times he was just looking for his own shot.

His talent is undeniable, but Henry needs to find ways for him to use that talent without it being to the detriment of the team. Naturally it would help if Sloan was producing what was expected.

Reply #827927 | Report this post

Anony  
Years ago

Any chance cut t h e guys some slack for first up performance. They will clearly improve on this game.. wouldn't say United were silky either... blowing cobwebs out system...

Reply #827928 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@Beantown
Defense is bad when Sixers score, your D should then be ready to go as they inbound and pressure them in backcourt, yet Ille can just go coast to coast for layup.
Nobody even going for rebounds on missed shots from United, just assuming someone else will get it. Losing players off the screen and no help D. Defense not even covering splitline.
Yeah, that was pretty bad defence.
Crocker was two seconds behind everything that was happening out there.
Why would you be calling for Teys and Dillon to go. Dillon actually looked okay compared to others and Teys should have been put on in the third qtr as needs someone who would actually hustle and get amongst it.

Reply #827930 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Ili just smothered Sloan. If Sloan can't beat his defender and get to the rim then that is a big problem. Goulding smothered Crocker, knocked ball loose quite a few times.
Sloan and Crocker as imports don't look any better then anyone else on the team which is not a good sign. Need imports who can just turn it on play a level above.

Reply #827931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it just me or did those rims looked like the hardest on earth

Reply #827934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tinges of Illawarra here last year. An overhyped kid who can certainly play, but the expectations on him are far too great. Coach then feels the pressure to play a player with one eye on his own performance for the NBA.
If the kid is not played the coach is dragged through the mud. Tough, tough situation for the coach and look how it worked out for Illawarra's coach.

Reply #827935 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Jack White was surprising. Still has to work on his offensive game but my biggest concern was MU's ability to rebound but thats eased. I like Illi and Baba as a back court tandem. Wasn't huge on iso ball with Hopson but hopefully that changes as he learns the new system.
Take Johnson out of that game where he created his own shots from broken plays and it could of been a lot worse for them.

Reply #827937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide looked good till halftime.

Reply #827942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" . I like Illi and Baba as a back court tandem"

Me too. Quick, active and disruptive.

Adelaide very disappointing. Sloan and Crocker can play, but it looks like theyve arrived with the wrong attitude. This ain't no cupcake league. Sloan better step up soon, while Ili is finally beginning to grow into the potential he always had he is still a step (or two!) down from the elite guards like Cotton, Ware and the Webster bros who will go for 40+ if Sloan doesn’t wake up soon.

Reply #827943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United will be undefeated, strong and deep roster, there dp are better than a lot other sides benches. Tough start for Sixers but don't think it’s all doom and gloom just yet.

Reply #827946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overhyped? He was their second best player last night ya pork chop.

Reply #827948 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Humphries is carrying an injury, that was mentioned during the game. He will get better as he has not trained properly with the team since early December apparently.

Reply #827950 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sixtiesrockstar, our transition D was poor at times for sure. And second half, our defence slipped a lot I think, because our imports ran out of legs and then some of the team lost confidence and checked out under pressure.

But, in the first half, our guys played hard and didn't give up a lot of easy baskets. I thought that was a BIG improvement on anything I've seen from most of Joey's teams. Not many teams will keep Melbourne to 37 points in a half this season.

It's tough, because we're relying on Sloan, who has been here two weeks and Giddey, who is only 18, to initiate our offence this season. I think we have enough talent, based on what I saw in pre-season, but its going to be a steep curve in these first few weeks to get everyone playing together cohesively.

PS, it wasn't me calling for Dillon and Teys to go. I'm fine with them, they're solid vets.

Reply #827952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no inside defence. DJ has never been strong on D and Humphries is some how worse.
We have Giddey , Teys , Dillon and Mudronja as point guards. Pinder is an 8th man at best
The team is unbalanced with the imports that are here. Need a 3 man and a big banger type.

Reply #827954 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Need a gun import the size of Pindar but way better

He can replace the second import

Then just play Mudronja regular in the guard spot

Happy days

Reply #827955 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

That is also one of the problems with the Sixers if Humphries hasn't trained with the team since early December, as neither has Sloan or Crocker and whole fresh new group of players and coaches with new system. They will need the first 6-8 games to figure everyone out but by then the season could be on it's way downhill.
Sixers giving up way too many offensive boards and at their own end they have nobody contesting on their own missed shots giving easy defensive boards to United which then leads into their offensive transition. Acuil basically had same amount of rebounds as Humphries, Johnson and Pinder combined.
They were lucky Melb shot poorly from 3pt range or it it would of been a 30+ loss.

Reply #827957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the point of Humphries playing if injured and hasn't trained since December, it’s stupidity if true. Mulholand showed more in that practice game than I’ve ever seen Humphries produce and yes I know he’s had a few nba games. Pick players that want to give and not on reputation. Get rid of a guard and get a 4 that can defend and crash boards.

Reply #827958 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@Beantown
apologies, I wasn't trying to refer to you regarding Teys and Dillon, that was towards an above anon poster.
I thought our defence was average all game but just got worse to where it was below NBL grade. I think a lot has to do with confidence. Offensively a lot of Sixers turnovers were just when they were second guessing themselves and not relying on their instincts, skills and training, similar to their defense which was slow and reactionary with no confidence to take someone else's space or confront things, we retreated way too much and were bullied.
1st qtr Sixers looked okay but were struggling to get stops or put pressure on Melb. In 2nd qtr it had nothing to do with defence just that both teams shot extremely bad missing wide open shots. Sixers didn't hit a bucket outside the paint, United missed so many buckets they should've actually been up at halftime by half a dozen.

Reply #827962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a fairly obvious reason why Mudronja isn't in the rotation. He isn't very good.

Reply #827963 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Anon927, if he's not ready for this level then that’s not a good sign for the rest of this Adelaide roster, plus he’s still young, there’s a difference between star and can be a solid contributor, which is especially good considering his age as that same sentiment can’t be said for not just a lot of other youngsters but also men

Reply #827966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is the last time mudronja actually performed at elite level? It's been a fair while

Reply #827967 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Cheers John, considering that performance something had to be going on

Jack white looked the goods, yeah he might not become a superstar it appears he has all the ingredients that will make him a very good player in this league, loved his effort, defence and rebounding efforts and hopefully as time goes along he can develop and good 3 and finishing ability

Reply #827968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

Reply #827971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Relegate 36ers to NBL1. Bring in a Bendigo team

Reply #827973 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You've overdribbled and you haven't even fkn played. Gold

I'm surprised this isn't getting more love.

While the timeout was entertaining it wasn't constructive and doesn't help the players.

Reply #827976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it will help them to remember to move the ball in the future.

Reply #827978 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

My biggest worries are Humphries looks like the type who get down on himself when he stuffs up (which he did a lot of), the massive rebound count differential, and the seeming lack of systems or plays apart from pick and pop with DJ.

Also whoever is in charge of floor/decal management need to short that out asap, people are going to really get hurt.

Reply #827981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country 14's teams are very average to be kind. If they had one team then at least the standard would be better.
The 3 teams would be low D2 standard at very best maybe even D3.

Reply #827982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry wrong topic

Reply #827983 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754