GordonG
Years ago

R1: Taipans v Hawks Jan 18

Jack can do the preview, but at this stage the prediction is that there's gonna be a Cat 2 Tropical Cyclone going through the Pop Up Arena about 30 minutes after tipoff...

Topic #47988 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three teams up there. Hopefully all are ready for it. Been great weekend basketball so far.

Reply #828214 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hopefully this game does go ahead, but whoa! who would have thought that these two teams could potentially be the MOTR.

Cairns toppled a Kings outfit to chalk up their first win in front of a vocal, parochial crowd by the skinniest of margins. Machado doing the maccarana to great effect. The Hawks under Gorj showing Brisbane who is boss and giving Gorj the welcome back to coaching he deserves. The NBL seems empty without him. All we need is Shane Heal in there as an assistant coach to be the cherry on top.

A week ago I would have the Taipans striking down the Hawks with their venom, but the Hawks are the silent but deadly type and none more so than Naar who was the difference in the Brissy game. I'm now more confused than a feminist on the Hannah Mouncey playing in the AFL issue. Trans women are women, but Hannah is built like a brick s-house.

I'm sticking with the Taipans, by two. Could we see another double OT game?

Reply #828257 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

As of this morning, TC Kimi is already slightly south of Cairns and expected to hit at Cardwell. Game will go ahead. Currently there is no wind, no rain, no sunshine at Cairns.

Reply #828268 | Report this post

Three to Make Two  
Years ago

If there is any water on the court will it bring back memories of Hawks last game last year?

Reply #828288 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Not even any rain in Cairns. Bring on Monday night Bball!!

Reply #828313 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

GordonG

This is slightly off topic but I have read that Kody Stattmann is suffering from a cardiovascular issue (hence why he has missed so many games for Virginia).

Do you know how his health is coming along?

Is he likely to return this season?

Also I have noticed Ky Stattmann is around the Taipans camp a lot lately.

Is Ky a DP for the Taipans? Or just training with them?

Cheers

Reply #828320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns $1.36. Hawks $3.20

Reply #828327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets Go Taipans win by 7

Reply #828330 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Wow...Taipans were $1.45 last night.

Has there been a change in roster or this is the regular drop of the favourite before the game?

Reply #828331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Deng Adel. Cairns getting lucky again going against a team without their best players

Reply #828332 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I see Cairns were matched as low as 1.30 on the exchange which seems a bit too short.

Reply #828334 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Looking forward to Goorj giving Simon the defensive job on Machado now that he is starting in Adel's place. Don't think ether Harvey or Jessup can go close to containing him.

Reply #828336 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Darling looks shaky as hell on D.

Reply #828337 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hawks looking like they're the ones with the best import duo at this stage. Good hustle plays from Isaac White, looks like the perfect Goorj utility piece off the bench.

Reply #828338 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This is unbelievable Tyler Harvey putting on a show.

Hawks up 31-19 at Qtr time with no Adel, no Bairstow and Froling & Darling in foul trouble already.

Reply #828340 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Why is Bairstow not playing?

Reply #828342 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Bairstow rolled his ankle in the warmup apparently.

Reply #828344 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Jessup looking like a great pickup as a next star.

Reply #828345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow ankle.

I questioned if Goorgian was the right choice to coach Australia, I was an idiot. Goorgian makes players better, Naar, Froling, Deng, Ogilvy playing best in years, imports fit in exactly as required. Illawarra are certainly not making up numbers. Get them and United on soon.

Cairns living off the three, not out of it but better improve there defence.

Reply #828346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home cooking ain't keeping Cairns in it, Santamaria getting into deng defence when it was Noi who wasn’t defending. Justin Simon is fantastic, looking better than Tate last season at present.

Reply #828347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns can't play a lick of defense

Reply #828350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Agree.
Ogilvy looked completely washed up last year.
Looks like he's in a lot better shape and is showing a lot more effort unlike the last 3-4 years where he’s cruised and wasted his size and talent (he’s still only 32). It’s taken someone of the calibre of Goorjian to motivate him.

Reply #828351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Santamaria correcting himself, saying Noi and Djeric can't defend.

Reply #828352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newbill a massive loss, a few very ordinary defensive players in Cairns, led by Noi and Djeric. It might also show that kings are not that good and Brisbane better than they are.

Reply #828353 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Well that's COTY award wrapped up, yet another for Goorj thanks for coming everyone else.

This is one of the most incredible wins I've seen Hawks without their two best Aussies go up to Cairns a Finals team from last season and smack them by 20 points. The heart Goorjian has already installed in this team is unreal.

Very happy to admit I was wrong thinking the Hawks would be playing for the spoon this season I should've known you never ever doubt the GOAT coach.

Reply #828355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, defensively Newbill set the entire tone of the Taipans season last year. He was outstanding.
Justin Simon is doing the same so far for the Hawks. He's an absolute gun

Reply #828357 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not surprised re: AJ as Goorjian actually trains his teams hard, unlike most in the NBL who do the minimum.

Reply #828358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Goorg did that last year yea, team has spent money and it show's. Not like his got a shit team. They got a top 4 team and if Flynn would have done the same.

His always had talented teams and it’s just expected to win coty

Hawks are playing exciting ball, hopefully a regional team can win it all because both Cairns and Hawks have invested in great team’s.

Reply #828359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, Bit of a rough one this week? 1/5.

Reply #828361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not convinced Adel and Bairstow make the hawks much better, Bairstow old and injury prone, Adele shown nothing to say he's a gun yet.

Reply #828362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such a "boring game" under Goorj. What wanker said that of BG's coaching style.
Never saw that W coming. I really don't think Cairns are that good. Time will tell.

Reply #828363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns imports are very good, Deng is reasonable at both ends, Noi is very god offensively, not so much defensively and Djeric is 50/50 at either end depending on the day. Cairns bench is very limited so all goes back Deng and two imports.

Reply #828365 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Hawks look well recruited and well coached.

Reply #828366 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Haha good one anon bairstow is getting on at the age of 30 and considering we have the sample size of preseason (which he got injured in) and 1 game in which he was coming off said injury really proves that they won't make the hawks better

Reply #828367 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Adel was coming off injury*^

Reply #828368 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Jack, Bit of a rough one this week? 1/5."

Yeah, tell me about it. I'm the kiss of death

Reply #828369 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Feeling good about my pre season comments after this

Cairns overrated. Lacking depth.

Hawks the sleepers of the comp. Goorj at the helm, talented imports and a young group. It's almost like dejavu....

Reply #828370 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I really like the look of Harvey and think he will be fun to watch and a real handful for opposition.

I can't wait to see what Goorj does with Adel and Bairstow when they are fit and firing.

I will admit that I thought Simon would be the first import out of here as I couldn't see where he fit in but he will be here entertaining us all year, as good as he was tonight, I was more impressed with his interview after the game, showed confidence, poise and respect, very likeable and exactly what they needed last season when Brooks went down.

Reply #828375 | Report this post

Years ago

Totally agree Proud, I thought Simon was a gonner after the first game in Perth. Hawks are used to terrible imports lately. But he turned around and came out firing and I knew he could offer something different. Deng adel will be great once fit and Bairstow will offer more.

Reply #828376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not forget that Hawks effectively have 3 imports whereas everyone else (except Sydney) only have 2

Reply #828377 | Report this post

NS is within the rules.

Reply #828385 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is Simon the import that had a bag of steals in a pre-season game? Struck me as a Goorjian-style import after that.

Reply #828391 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Yes. Think it was 6 or 7 in the pre season game.

Reply #828392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What rules?

Reply #828396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exactly (what rules). interesting that he's done 4 years of college, was apparently drafted but didn't go to camp. who gets drafted to the NBA but goes, nah, not going to camp. all sounds pretty suss - special rules for Goorjian? wouldn't be the first time.

Reply #828413 | Report this post

Three to Make Two  
Years ago

Have the Hawks just got lucky again with their Next Star? Jessup had an amazing game.

Last year Lamelo (albeit in a short burst!) And years ago the equivalent with Doug Overton

Reply #828421 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Simon didn't look that impressive on the offensive end but that block and basket down the other end along with some other moves shows Simon is a star and will be a player worth keeping your eye on and opposition will have to scout him better

Reply #828468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone asked why the Cairns imports returned?

Reply #828469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did the Cairns import return?

Reply #828479 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:51 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754