Krusher25
Years ago

Sydney Kings Miscues

I am really questioning Adam Forde's decision making in the last play of the game against the Taipans.

They only need a 2 pointer to win so what does he draw up? A screen off the inbounds to give it to Casper to shoot a 3?? The same Casper who shot 1 of 8 before that shot? I dont know if anyone else is seeing this but the blind faith that they are putting in Ware who is just not the same gunner he was 3 years back is going to lose the Kings many close contests. Surely we have to go with who has the hot hand and not just on faith and reputation for someone shooting 6 of 21 (28%). Just head scratching. I hope Adam turns out better than that hopeless Illawarra coach last year.

Topic #47989 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casper's new nickname is "Automatic". No clutch

Reply #828238 | Report this post

Casper used to be a good player.

Reply #828240 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I know he'd shot like shit, but I didn’t have a problem with Casper taking the final shot.

I thought the play itself was odd though, having Casper inbounds, the get the rock back for a rushed triple. Surely other plays were available that would’ve seen someone get a set shot rather than the prayer that was put up.

I’m not a lick for a coach though. I’d be interested in reading the assessment of the final play from someone who does have coaching chops.

Reply #828243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I thought the play itself was odd though, having Casper inbounds"

It was the same play Forde and the Wildcats used in 2018 for Cotton.

https://twitter.com/PerthWildcats/status/952421736431022080

Reply #828245 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Ware finished 6/21 fgm yikes!

Ware looks like he's on a similar path to Rundle. Killing the league then dropping off a cliff the next.

Reply #828249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The play was fine, the shot just missed. End of story.

Reply #828253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one had a hot hand though?
Go with experience then.

Reply #828254 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I was fine with the play. I would have liked to see him go to the basket, but with the way the final 60 seconds were called I doubt there would have been a whistle on anything outside of a blatant foul anyway.

Less happy with the overall offense in the last Q as well as the lack of FTs for Ware on the foul right before the last play, but a 1 point loss to Cairns in Cairns is not the worst result.

Reply #828256 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Casper got an open look at a 3. Slightly off balance. But what, a 30% chance to win the game?

From 3 seconds left, not a bad play.

Casper turned 31 yesterday and is under 6 foot. Guys like him won't age too well unfortunately, as speed and agility declines whereas height always remains. Someone like a Gaze (Slow, 6'7 guard) is always going to age better than someone like Casper or Randle. Iverson in the NBA declined sharply in his early 30's for example.

Having said that, Casper is physically strong for his height, and has a good range of skills so I expect he'll remain a good NBL player for a long while yet. Just wouldn't be surprised if his all NBL days are behind him. Hope he proves me wrong though, cos he's a United championship winner- the smiling assassin!

Reply #828258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go for the draw is always the best option. Then in the next 5 see what happens.

Reply #828260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home team overtime.
Away team go for the win.
If you haven't heard that before then it’s the same reason why Casper wasn’t shooting the foul shots at the end of the game . Home cooking

Reply #828262 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I assume favouring levelheaded experience is part of him getting that shot. Then the idea of a cleaner look over a contested shot inside by a shorter player? Take the three if it's there or pass if not?

Reply #828263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Forde didnt call timeout a few times when Cairns started making a run. I think he was out coached by Cairns.

Reply #828267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol
The away team who was down their marquee Australian, their backup 5 man and restricted minutes for their marquee American loses by one with a shot to win it against a full strength cairns at home - yeah ok he got out coached.
Definitely seems like someone has a grudge for forde

Reply #828270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even the commentators could see a few times he needed to call a timeout to stem Cairns run. And he didnt.

The most classic timeout is one when you are ahead, like Sydney was and then the other team starts making a run. You call a timeout to calm your side and get some high quality plays.

He was outcoached from a winning position.

Reply #828275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think people just love to HATE the Kings. Myself a longtime Kings hater will be rooting for this team this year. Lots of likeable players and coach. The only DHs being the management.

Reply #828276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It takes a little time to adjust to head coaching position, and let's face it this is the team Weaver put together, it’s still very young other than three old heads, Kelly took a year to adjust and I think the Mitchell is doing well at Phoenix but it is still going to struggle.

Casper even in United winning year only shot at just below 35%, he’s a quantity shooter and always has been, he should take a bit from Cotton now and learn to pass more and he might start to make more shots as he’s an easy double team because opponents no he ain’t passing it, he is still a great defender though.

Reply #828282 | Report this post

Three to Make Two  
Years ago

Once when I was coaching an U16 team, I drew up a play for my guard to take a 3 in the dying seconds off an inbound play. Ran the play perfectly, he nailed it. Meant we lost by 2 instead of 5 but the boys were on a high!

Reply #828289 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Casper's new nickname is "Automatic". No clutch
Not sure that one would really have the intended effect.

Reply #828291 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Oops.

Reply #828292 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Forde is asking the NBL for a clarification on the foul at the end of the game.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/new-sydney-kings-coach-to-approach-nbl-over-controversial-call-in-taipans-loss-20210116-p56un5.html

I think it's fine for Casper to take the shot. Who else would you draw the play for?

Reply #828293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware was hit three times before they blew the whistle, the third time it was in the act of shooting, they reviewed it was just a joke.

Reply #828295 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

> Ware was hit three times before they blew the whistle, the third time it was in the act of shooting, they reviewed it was just a joke.

I missed the last quarter so I can't comment on the play or the lead up.

The NBL's Sean Gottliebsen did say it was a tough one to call but suggested the call was for a foul not in the act of shooting.

Perhaps the call was for one of the earlier grabs but by the time the call was made, the at of shooting had begun?

If it has been ratified by the league can you accept that decision?

Reply #828297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an outdated tradition to call timeouts to stop runs.
Early in season it’s a ploy of coaches now to get the players to manage themselves out of it. That’s what is obvious.

Reply #828299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You try and also do something the opposing coach wouldn't plan for. You'd like a layup, but if you can get an open 3, then you take it.
If he had made it the headline would be what a genius play it was and how Ware is back.

Reply #828300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point

Reply #828301 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It's an outdated tradition to call timeouts to stop runs.
Early in season it's a ploy of coaches now to get the players to manage themselves out of it. That’s what is obvious.

Can you please shed some light on when timeouts to stem a shift in momentum became out of fashion?

I have seen losing dinosaur coaches like Vickerman, Gleeson, and Mike Kelly do it, are they all obsolete and should be replaced?

Reply #828302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't call it outdated, but some coaches don't use them necessarily to try and stop runs. Phil Jackson used to like his players to try and figure things out, but then again he had elite players.
I personally think on the road you call them to try and draw up a play to quiet the crowd and get the composure back.

Reply #828307 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Did the coach think that the ball was being taken from the other side of the court? Seemed a tough ask for Ware going that way over the handoff. Maybe a 'Newley to the basket' play might have been better, but Oliver would have been waiting.

Reply #828308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware's preference is to go to his left. You obviously do not watch too much ball

Reply #828311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's interesting that everyone here has their opinion and I doubt any of them are NBL coaches. Too say a rookie coach playing away against the favorite full strength cairns team and lose by one was put coached is just silly

Reply #828314 | Report this post

Kevin Booth  
Years ago

Ware has stunk for at least two seasons now.

Reply #828348 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

seems all people wanna do now days is look to shoot a 3, even when not necessary!

Reply #828424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the rack unless your name is Cotton.

Reply #828426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didi and Ware in Santamaria duds, say a lot.

Reply #828428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Win on the road? What idiot ever said that. Go the 2 and get O/T. lets the cards fall after that.

Reply #828459 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Good coaches call timeouts to convey changes when something isn't working. Not simply to tell players what they already know.

As for Ware, two years ago he was the bes player in the league IMHO. He is their goto guy, and the Coach will back him, until such time as they decide to pay ways.

As for the play, it's a function of time and opportunity. Was the opening there for him to drive to he basket?? And did he have the time?

Reply #828473 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Go for the draw is always the best option. Then in the next 5 see what happens.
Home team overtime.
Away team go for the win.
Win on the road? What idiot ever said that. Go the 2 and get O/T. lets the cards fall after that.
It was a one-point game, morons.

Reply #828476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can not see Ware changing his game, it's the way he has always played, he either gets rolling again or Sydney are in trouble.

Reply #828480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754