Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Phoenix Jan 20

Well, it's goddam Inauguration Day and I’m goddam glad I’m not there, although give me a Viking helmet and a flag and I'll take Pelosi's pulpit straight to the pool room.

But we do have the return bout of the Sixers/Phoenix to worry about. Teen sensation, Josh Gidde, thought he would pay homage to Brett Maher last game by kissing the court, sadly he kissed it a little too hard and as a result will be sitting on the sidelines for a game to be safe. No dribbling for him tonight.

Double OT games are always exciting and both teams had their chances to lock the win away, but Phoenix couldn’t quite get there. Fantastic game by Mitch Creek, who always lifts when he is back in the town that gave him his break. 30 points, 8 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 block.... and 5 fouls But he needs help. Last season Phoenix had master defender Ben Madgen who was used to drain a three when required. I don’t know where Yannick Wetzell came from and why he isn’t in Sixers colours, but he proved the ultimate pest to Sixers, even with the Hail Mary shot that went in - I guess ever since Auckland U12s you have to give it a go and one day it’ll come off.

For the Sixers, DJ played an exceptional game and if the Sixers don’t give him a Testimonial year at some stage I feel like going down there and giving Mr Kelley an atomic wedgie instead. He needs help as well and this is the game where like midgets at a urinal, someone needs to step up. The Sloan Ranger needs to get that swagger working. His FG% is now in the 20’s, but he needs to get a 2 in front of that ppg.

As someone pointed out, I'm 1 from 5 in my tips. My shooting % is worse than Sloan's and I am the kiss of death. That's why I'm tipping SEM by 2

Topic #47994 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love your work. Won't tip because I ain’t got a clue. :::)))))

Reply #828481 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'ld never make a gambler.

Reply #828482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do or die game for Sloan

Reply #828483 | Report this post

SEM by 10.

Reply #828487 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sloan no good find someone new to quarantine them and have them ready by round 6/7

Reply #828488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who found these imports for Adelaide? Coach or management?

Reply #828489 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Agree KET. Maybe line up a second as well because I'm still not convinced on Crocker.
Sloan has nothing that stands out- speed, handles, shooting. Just a bit of a Shannon Shorter but with an NBA resume. Might be been ok few years ago but at 33 he’s not gonna get better/quicker. Cut losses now.

Reply #828502 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I reckon tonight gets ugly. Phoenix have a game under their belt, no Giddey and surely DJ cools down at some point. Reckon it's got blowout written all over it.

Reply #828503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blessing in disguise. Mudronja to stepup, Sloan to be sent packing. Sixer to bring in another versatile wing import.

Reply #828504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is this import here

Reply #828505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

504 Mudronja to step up? Might help if he actually steps on the court

Reply #828506 | Report this post

Suppose Sloan gets the chop if I was Adelaide management I would be going after Broekhoff.

Reply #828507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Broekhoff in Australia

Reply #828508 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am going to give Sloan a bit more rope.

He probably came here thinking he'd be handed the keys to the offence, instead he plays second fiddle to Giddey and is unsure of his role.

This game will be his chance to shine though, he better show something.

Reply #828509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you sniffing your mums undies??? Sloan will be mvp easy

Reply #828510 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

How do you say he has played second fiddle to Gidey when the coach has started Sloane

Surely he has had opportunities to impress a the teams starting guard

The coach even said on record before the first game that the guys who pay well will stay on the court for extended minutes

Reply #828512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Management picked Randle so it's same guy who picked our imports ...they are cheap that’s why.

Reply #828513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Management usually always picked the imports but last season Joey hand picked his imports for the first time, I believed that's why they spiraled chemistry wise when JVG waived Taylor

Reply #828514 | Report this post

Boss  
Years ago

Anon can I pls sniff your mums undies

Reply #828516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix clear favourite with the bookies.

Reply #828517 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think a fair few Americans approach the NBL in the wrong way.

Force it too much, take shots or make moves that is more NBA accepted than NBL accepted, don't dial in on defence enough and they require too much of the ball (over dribble) to get into the game or stay interested.

NBL you have to be a genuinely good and smart player and adjust to the style. See Cotton.

Reply #828521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scoring guards (Meaning the ones who don't really bring anything else to the table) don’t usually come here win games. They will score but can’t bring a team together & win .. Randle, Trimble, Roberson can’t win when it matters because they don’t bring anything else to the table. You need guards like Ware, Scott, Lisch, Cotton all won before getting to the NBL and can do a little bit of everything

Reply #828522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#522 Never looked at it from that perspective but it's true. You need winning guards especially in Finals

Reply #828524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ KET
So true, even young Australian guards are coming back from college and just jacking it up. They that's the way to nba, and it might be.

Reply #828525 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To be fair to imports virtually everywhere they play they are expected to carry their teams offensively. It's common for new imports to come in and immediately start dominating the offence as it's what is usually expected of them. After realising the locals can play they do start to settle down a bit this isn't China.

In saying all that I have no idea what Sloan is doing if he's sitting back trying to fit in by getting the lay of the land he needs to start kicking into gear if he continues down this ultra-conservative path he'll likely end up cut. Generally speaking you don't play five years in the NBA by accident, a few games like Darington Hobson sure but not 200+ games over a five year period with five different teams. If he doesn't pull his finger out this round I would be looking to move him on.

Sixers by 5

Reply #828526 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

It's also worth to note the team and it’s culture in regards to imports, cotton whilst being a very good player in his own right went to an ideal situation.

In regards to the game you’d hope Phoenix bounce back and as said earlier dj settles down a bit, Phoenix by 9

Reply #828527 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I know playing plenty of NBA games is a pretty good indicator that a guy has talent, however, I do wonder about something I read someone here say - that he was kind of a bloke that was just on court not really there for any reason or doing anything. There are a lot of those players in the NBA that are just there and don't bring much per se. Even wonder why NBL players don’t get those roles and offer something (too thin and lanky?) but then there are an increasing amount lately (Delly etc) that do get roles and provide at least something even if it’s defensive energy.

In a 82 game season 48 mins per game, very average players can get a fair bit of playing time.

Reply #828528 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yeah some have suggested that the Sixers could end up 1-5 after home stand, if that happens then changes may have to be made.

At the moment it is budget import Crocker doing slightly better than Sloan.

I expect Humphries to have a bigger impact, while I don't expect another 33 points from DJ, there is no one in SEM that can stop him consistently.

Sixers by 3.

Reply #828530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is an elite scorer, but also has fantastic court vision, and passer, he never shoots the ball when there is a player in a better position. Size probably went against him in the nba. I'm far from a Perth supporter but it an absolute treat to have him in the nbl.

Reply #828531 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

that he was kind of a bloke that was just on court not really there for any reason or doing anything. There are a lot of those players in the NBA that are just there and don't bring much per se.

Quite a lot of NBA players at any one time on court look like guys not doing much due to better players like stars on the court with them. It's not about what they're doing on the court as it is about how hard it is to crack the NBA and hang around the scene for years.

By definition virtually every player on an NBA court at any one time would basically dominate in the NBL. That doesn't mean the NBL is crap far from it but the NBA is the absolute best of the best with a few chancers like Thon Maker thown in.

Reply #828533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocker and Sloan due for good games, dont be surprised for one or both to drop 15/20 tonight!

Reply #828534 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Is this game on SBS vice ?
I'm getting a game show

Reply #828535 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

ESPN.

Reply #828536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sloan hits a three, mvp. ::)))

Reply #828537 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Where the hell is the basketball?

SBS on Demand has shit itself all the links for the game just end up playing some crap pommy show.

FFS

Reply #828538 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Sbs link showed some aboriginal show. Now watching Kayo but it's 20 mins behind. Wtf

Reply #828539 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Twitch.

Reply #828540 | Report this post

Lt44  
Years ago

Yeah I can't get it on sbs either!!!! Stupid link

Reply #828541 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's about 10 minutes in they're advertising it on SBS on Demand.

Reply #828542 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://www.twitch.tv/nbl

Reply #828543 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

SBS on Demand finally connecting to the game now.

Reply #828544 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Finally

Reply #828545 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Mudronja is getting minutes in the first quarter.

His extended family on here must be ecstatic.

Reply #828546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Culture is kinda an excuse a good player can change the culture if he's the good leader look at what Machado did for Cairns, when Cotton got here his team was going to the Finals but he changed that season .. A leader will get the job done not just an only scoring guard

Reply #828547 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Sixers to well and truly play Phoenix into form and onto the Wildcats on Sunday!

I would cut Crocker before I'd touch Sloan (Adelaide must have picked him as they love his namesake at the Crows) but I definitely think that roles for this club are hard to understand right now, what's Humphries, Dech and the imports actual roles as I thought Dech went to Adelaide to become a true star of the league and looks almost forgotten about on court, Humphries was the highest earning local in the NBL this season and albeit returning from injury is looking lost out there at times.

Reply #828548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude Sloan sucks !!!!

Reply #828549 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

His extended family on here must be ecstatic.

If so I doubt they would've been spelling his last name incorrectly.

Reply #828552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies on calling Sloan/Crocker for a good game, more chance of Joe Ingles playing in Adelaide then that happening.

Reply #828553 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would cut Crocker before I'd touch Sloan

Sloan with all his NBA experience would be on a lot more than Crocker who was just a role player in Turkey last season.

Reply #828554 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Allowing Wild Kyle 12 points.

Sixers, I thought we were going to defend this year.

Reply #828555 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Commentator keeps calling Sloan Crocker lol

Reply #828556 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Apologies on calling Sloan/Crocker for a good game, more chance of Joe Ingles playing in Adelaide then that happening.

Sloan is 7 points at 60% at the half , its not exactly James Harden numbers but its not Kevin White either.

Reply #828557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon is so bad and on both ends

Reply #828559 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ben Moore for SE Melbourne hasn't exactly set the league on fire so far if we’re picking on imports.

Reply #828561 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Creeky really bailed out Crockett on that last shot play.

Reply #828562 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Solid, heads up end to the half from Crocker.

Reply #828563 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Who's making the decision to make Casey the courtside announcer instead of lead commentator? This is an outrage!

Reply #828564 | Report this post

Lt44  
Years ago

Thanks for the link perthworld

Reply #828565 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Crocker actually showed glimpses of on court IQ and savvy last game as well.

So far he is OK.

Reply #828566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madura or what ever his name is actually showed a bit, better than Dillon stint. Santamaria again getting names mixed up. Where is Luke Kendall, wasn't he supposed to be an assistant coach, there is no sign of him.

Reply #828567 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Who is the commentator who is mixing up Sloan, Dech and Crocker? Cringeworthy stuff. See Liam corrected him once. Very average stuff! Oh it's his Overtime mate. Figures.

Reply #828569 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Wasn't Santamaria getting the names wrong, it was his little Overtime mate. Was getting awkward!!

Reply #828570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ yeh he also kept saying it's the last shot of the game instead of the quarter, did it twice

Reply #828571 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Fake pick 'n' roll from DJ was fun.

Reply #828573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Luke please stop talking

You've over dribbled!!!

Reply #828575 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Who's making the decision to make Casey the courtside announcer instead of lead commentator? This is an outrage!

It sure is but not much can be done since the league went to a central commentating hub out of Melbourne from the beginning of last season.

Reply #828576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the fk is doing the stats, have missed 1 clear rebound to Moore and gave 1 other to Wetzel at 4:38 3q. NBL needs to fix this.

Reply #828577 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Just go home Crocker. Useless. Play McVeigh ffs

Reply #828578 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Crocker's passing is terrible.

Reply #828579 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Have we seen enough to send Crocker home? Turnover after turnover , missed defensive assignments and brick after brick. Yet Henry persists.

Reply #828580 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yep it's time to cut both imports they're liabilities on the court.

Reply #828581 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

My worry is that if Adelaide aren't winning games,fans will get fed up with this style.

You can tell it's an adjustment for the existing guys from Joey's system as the style is basically opposite.

Adelaide are lacking flair and they can easily get blown out if things aren't going their way.

The lack of push to score in transition has been frustrating, instead slowing it up all the time.

So far Adelaide remind me a little bit of Fearne Cairns but without the composure and defensive discipline.

Reply #828582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats guys have annoyed me for years, they get so much wrong. I recon they are to busy enjoying the game and make it up.

Reply #828583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Casey is commentating courtside so that he can tell Adelaide what the opposition are planning to do when media is not allowed to broadcast timeouts for the last two minutes of the game.

Reply #828584 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

"He is feeling himself now, Ben Hooly, as well he should".

~NBL 2021

Reply #828585 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I get so fed up year after year watching DJ give us layups.

Reply #828586 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

*up

Reply #828587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekhoff for Crocker.
Need a stud cg

Reply #828588 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

SEM by 10 was a fair call.

Reply #828590 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

SEM won by 6 even though that flattered the Sixers.

Reply #828591 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

What are Shawn long and melo Trimble doing these days?

Reply #828592 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's Captain DJ to you Zodiac!

Reply #828593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"John Casey is commentating courtside so that he can tell Adelaide what the opposition are planning to do when media is not allowed to broadcast timeouts for the last two minutes of the game."

Can I have some of that stuff you're smoking?

Reply #828594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can the NBL and SBS please sort out their shit?

Reply #828595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That unsportsmanlike foul, then effective reversal by Michael Aylen (because Johnson shot it) was a joke!
The baseline referee gave the ball to Johnson to shoot. It's his responsibility to make sure the correct player is shooting it, not the player! Despite this, Aylen then steps in and removes the extra free throw. How on earth was that the right call when the game was still in the balance!?

Reply #828596 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Only positive was Humphries.

Reply #828597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I said the other night and confirmed tonight, Johnson and Humphries can coexist on court together. I've always thought Humphries was overrated, I’m taking that back, he’s showing plenty, I just hope he’s not taking to many dollars so the Sixers imports are so crap. I like the Sixers coach but thought both McVeigh and mudura (spelling) should have played more in the second half.

Phoenix looking solid, two good imports, Glidon shooting like a bust arse but defensively he helps them a lot. Creek is excellent. The competition looks very close already, should be a great season.

Reply #828598 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Tepid effort from Adelaide.

Desperately lacking scoring punch, the only reliable dude in this respect is DJ.

Feel the team wouldn't lose much saying bye to Crocker and parsing a good chunk of his minutes to Jack. Import spot then freed up to find someone better.

Pinder is daft. Sunday’s out of place playing serious minutes on a team that needs buckets more than his alleged defensive prowess.

At least Humphries is showing signs of life. Will the return of Giddey drastically turn things around?

Reply #828599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long is on big dollars in South Korea and Trimble is in div one Spain. Trimble is leading the points in Spanish div one but his side are near the bottom.

Reply #828600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's one problem for anyone calling for import changes... quarantine.

That rubs them out for two weeks, plus however long it takes to get back in shape. And that's if they are negative the whole time.

I'd be surprised if there's any import changes given the global climate/restrictions.

Reply #828601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon n te Rangi stinking it up.

Reply #828602 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Don't seem to play with much energy or spark on offense. Defence isn't terrible but you have to be able to control the tempo if you're going to play a slow half court game. Need more spacing too.

SEM actually have looked alright.

Reply #828603 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Only positive was Humphries.

Reply #828604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The amount of bs isaac got before te season and in preseason was a bit much.
Humphries just turned 23, I think people forget that. Guy has another 5-6 years to reach peak.
3 years younger than Landale. He's doing ok and will grow with dj as a mentor.

Reply #828605 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Can't access the live stream via sbsondemand on telstra TV.

Such crap! Get it together SBS

Reply #828606 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Looked good for the two minutes McVeigh and Mudronja were on the court, they didn't get back on the court after that.

Reply #828607 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That unsportsmanlike foul, then effective reversal by Michael Aylen (because Johnson shot it) was a joke!
The baseline referee gave the ball to Johnson to shoot. It's his responsibility to make sure the correct player is shooting it, not the player! Despite this, Aylen then steps in and removes the extra free throw. How on earth was that the right call when the game was still in the balance!?
It wasn't the right call.

The free-throws were correctly cancelled, but the ball was given to Adelaide when it should have been given to the Phoenix.

So, assuming you're an Adelaide supporter, you might want to calm down a little.

Reply #828608 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

When was the error noticed that the wrong player took free throws ? Was it after the free throws ?
Key questions

Reply #828609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi looks like he hates basketball lol

Reply #828610 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why is it Adelaides role to know who the umpire believes was the fouled person? The umpire didn't tell them and went to review to check! That’s farcical for it to be overturned on that basis!

I’d imagine the reversal rule is in place to avoid funnybuggers - bizarre rule, just tell the right person to go to the line. Not hard!

Adelaide played pretty much about as average as expected. They don’t have a good team this year and rely on DJ too much. Can’t win games in that basis no matter how well he is playing offensively.

I put forward that the 36ers were looking like a bottom side and was accused of having a bias against the 36ers and being a fan of another club with a hatred towards them (lol).

Turns out you can support a team and be pragmatic, go figure!

Reply #828611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi looks like he hates modern haircuts.

Reply #828612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sloan
Dech
Giddey - Crocker/Teys
Humphries - Mcveigh
DJ

There's the 7 man rotation with Teys playing his spot cameos to take it to 8.

Not to be seen:
Mudronja
Dillon
Pinder
Hulland

Henry has to Shorten his rotation and identify roles now. Minutes are all over the shop. No need to play 12 guys. It's a 40min game ffs.

Reply #828613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to SEM tonight. They have been shafted by the ref's both games.
No doubt more relaxed second up which Adelaide has an advantage again with playing NZ for their first game on Friday. If the Sixers piss this gift of a schedule away, the back end of the season will be even uglier.

Reply #828614 | Report this post

Jazr  
Years ago

The frontline of DJ and Humphries looks really good. Not sure where Crocker fits in this lineup though. Would think an athletic 3 and D style import would be a better fit. For the Phoenix good to see Sykes turn it on and show he could run the point and score when the game was on the line. I thought not resigning Roberson was a strange move (assume he wanted to stay) but I can see why they wanted a tougher defender at the point. Gliddon is a worry and appears to have regressed significantly since his Cairns days.

Reply #828615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No homework has been done on Pinder. A quick ask to some past team mates and he wouldn't have been signed.

For a point guard Sloan can’t make passes and isn’t quick enough to guard other guards. Tonight he ended up guarding the 3 in stretches to hide him. How this guys scored 31 in the NBA is baffling. He is either injured or out of shape.

Crocker has a lot of trouble dribbling the ball, when his shot drops he looks great, sadly though that’s not often

DJ and Isaac have to start from here on in with McVeigh first sub in if not starting.

Henry’s subs are all over the shop.

Reply #828616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon is worth his place on defence alone, yes he's shot badly but defensively he’s been great.

Reply #828618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM definitely shafted again by the officiating that nothing short of comical

Reply #828620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guard rotation
Giddey ns
Mudronja
Import cg - slash, shoot n defend.
Dech
Teys

Forward rotation
Broekhoff
Mcveigh
Dech or Giddey or teys at times

Post rotation
Johnson
Maker
Humphries
Hulland dp

I'm getting rid of Dillon, Sloan, Crocker n Pinder all at once.

Reply #828621 | Report this post

Gano6  
Years ago

Mudronja and mcvay must get more minutes...assists points rebounds energy .... they have some passion and playing hard ... feeling even dillon be revitalised... the big bear and DJ keep in tandem .. chemistry building... Phoenix long season for them.too ... we got giddey to add. They got nothing ..

Reply #828622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conner Henry seems like a chump, this is not the guy to lead Adelaide. I think heas gone after this year or next.

Reply #828623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His contract of 3 years is getting ripped up for sure,

Reply #828624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ thought it was funny trying to be cheeky and take Crocker's shots until he realised he lost them for his team. Ooops

Reply #828626 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

When was the error noticed that the wrong player took free throws ? Was it after the free throws ?
Well you can hardly notice that the wrong person took a shot that hasn't been taken yet.

Reply #828631 | Report this post

Jazr  
Years ago

Seems a ridiculous rule. What is Crocker legitimately didn't realise the unsportsmanlike foul was on him (in this case it was a pretty soft call so potentially he didn’t know). Surely the onus should be on the ref who made the call to ensure the correct player takes the free throws?

Reply #828633 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Well you can hardly notice that the wrong person took a shot that hasn't been taken yet."

Pretty bloody easy I'd imagine when the guy is at the foul line everyone else is set up in the normal spots and the umpire then gives the person at the foul line the ball.

They never give the ball to the person at the foul line until everyone is in proper position.

So the answer is, you can easily take notice.

The fact they rolled with it and gave DJ the ball, and then reviewed it because they didn’t know who should be shooting is a dead give away that the umpires didn’t do their job. When you call a foul and someone has to shoot, tell the person they’re the ones shooting. Especially in a scenario where it’s so “not obvious” that you require a video review!

Reply #828634 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

@Koberultz
It can be noticed while the ball is in the hands of the shooter but prior to him shooting or also between the first & second shot

Reply #828636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They knew who the shooter was as you could hear the head umpire on the audio say foul on white 28 holding blue 2. Johnson just tried to be sneaky and paid the price.

Reply #828637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Used to be a tech foul for that. When was that changed?
DJ being a smart arse taking the shots. I'd be pissed if I was Crocker, he needs every point he can get right now.

Reply #828638 | Report this post

anon 123  
Years ago

From the timeouts you can see the team is being run through DJ and Giddey, I would think Sloan came in thinking he will chuck 20-30 shots a game, with Giddey out still only hoisted up 6 shots

they will prob replace him soon, as they dont really need a main scorer and may look for a cheap big, heck plumlee is still unsigned

Reply #828641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That rule changes several years ago

Reply #828645 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

After mocking Ben Moore's numbers, pretty much straight away he adjusted and made a positive impact on the floor lol.
Long & athletic with a quick first step, he might become a player to watch as he gets more comfortable with the reffing.

Reply #828648 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

During the day, I was looking forward to this game, but SBS mucked up the start
and the 36ers the end. Tooo slow.
36ers only moderate and 2 imports very ordinary.

Reply #828649 | Report this post

anon 123  
Years ago

Ben Moore is good, hopefully he can stay consistant at that 10pt 10reb range and if Sykes and Creek can keep dropping around the 20pt each, Pheonix will collect a few wins and get into playoffs potentially

Reply #828653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac Hunphries is rounding into some excellent form. Strong rim protection; finishing with more confidence offensively. Think he's going to have a strong season

Reply #828658 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They knew who the shooter was

Then why did the umpire go to the review?

DJ being a smart arse taking the shots.

I took it that way too, tbh

but SBS mucked up the start
and the 36ers the end

via the app on Telstra TV it's not accessible at all. Via SBS mobile phone app it can be. Frustrating!

Reply #828660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the countries' mandatory quarantine, I can't see anyone's imports being replaced with another import. Going a minimum of 2 weeks with no replacement, plus time to get into shape after quarantine. You'd be worse off than keeping who you already have. If they test positive, potentially up to a month with them unavailable.

That's the risk of this season, who you sign is locked in for the year. Sorry Adelaide fans, better get used to Sloan and Crocker I'd say!

Reply #828662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. Plus Adelaide don't have the money anyhow to replace them.

Reply #828663 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If they've got the money to sign them then by definition they've got the money to replace them. Neither Sloan or Crocker would be on guaranteed contracts.

Reply #828673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let the audio sounds like some frustration and it's audible they have the wrong shooter. The discussion after that isn’t clear

Reply #828680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serious question, can this guy coach?

The Aussie contingent is definitely better than last year. The US contingent would want to be substantially cheaper than the US imports last year.

Obviously Wright wanted out so it is not all on management but everyone blaming last year's coach might want to have being careful what they wished for.

His record:

Maybe this is just opening season jitters? But I'd suggest on current performance will be lucky to be above .2 win/loss in season 1. What if it declines from there?

What happened to Kelley's brave, bold statements on moving on and "drawing lines in the sand"?
Is this guy fool's gold?
Maybe the Crows got it right by offering him no position on the board whatsoever?
Are the Libs getting it right keeping him at bay from the party?
Whilst his shareholders would be very disappointed in his performance, in halving their value.

Reply #828685 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

If we want to shit on the Sixers, then I think it's important to note that it’s still early days, not trying to say they’ll win it all but things change throughout a season. A team will get a significant injury, have a player or two underperform, or even a player or two over perform. Point being let’s not completely freak out yet. Especially as this last year has been significantly different when it comes to preparation, for all we know their imports may very well pick things up and giddey might be able to keep his play up and then they might get rolling, not saying they will, but let’s get a bigger sample size first.

Reply #828686 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

Remember that season where Adelaide had some half-baked roster, came out the gates with like 5 losses and everyone (including me) tipped them for the spoon then they finished the season 4 wins clear of second? you just never know what can happen

Reply #828690 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

" Well you can hardly notice that the wrong person took a shot that hasn't been taken yet."

Pretty bloody easy I'd imagine when the guy is at the foul line everyone else is set up in the normal spots and the umpire then gives the person at the foul line the ball.
You could notice that the wrong guy is at the line before the shots are taken, but you can't notice the wrong guy took the shot until after the shot is taken.

The fact they rolled with it and gave DJ the ball, and then reviewed it because they didn't know who should be shooting
That didn't happen. The review was before the shots, and wasn't anything to do with who was shooting.

@Koberultz
It can be noticed while the ball is in the hands of the shooter but prior to him shooting or also between the first & second shot
It doesn't matter how many shots were taken.

Then why did the umpire go to the review?
To check if it was a USF or a normal foul. This is very, very clear from both the ref mics and the commentary.

Reply #828692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pinder is terrible with that damn rat tail. Send him home!

Reply #828694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth don't sack good coaches. With all his G League exposure surely Connor had some insight into some talent but we ended up with 2 washed up veterans. His sub patterns are weird. McVeigh and Mudronja played real well and got benched. Teys is sitting yet can still deliver.

Reply #828695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mudronja was suprisingly good in his few minutes

Reply #828697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh and Mudronja were good in the first half, I checked the stats at half time and they both -6/7ish. They were never seen again, once again the modern coaches looks at this stat and take to much notice of it. It does not always indicate how you have played. Most European comps don't use it. It should be used as a guide, not the end all and be all. Good coaches no how you are going.

Reply #828717 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am no expert in subbing patterns.

Although Mudronja did well in his limited minutes, wouldn't a coach want his stud import (Sloan) performing?

Could Henry be trying to get Sloan and Crocker into a groove and settled in?

I know it didn't end well but there is a chance that simply giving Sloan's minutes to Mudronja would have a negative impact on Sloan.

Reply #828720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mudronja was not very good. Go back and watch how often he stalled the offence because Adnam was owning him and made him pick up the ball

Reply #828721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mudronja had as many assists and rebounds in under 5 minutes as the two imports combined for in almost 60 minutes.

Reply #828724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 players get to play the major minutes. 7 really and the 8th gives a cameo each night.
9,10,11,12 play very limited minutes and often don't play at all. Their time to shine is in garbage time.
It's not rocket science.

Reply #828725 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Henry's sub patterns have on the face of it left a bit to be desired but it's very early in the season and with only three pre-season games (Sloan only played one) and the Sixers full strength side not playing in a game together until opening night of the season, the coach is likely still trying to get a look at what the players can/can't do.

Don't forget a large piece of the puzzle in Giddey was out last night just to further throw a spanner in the works for the coach.

Reply #828729 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As disappointing as last night's loss was it was kind of understandable without Giddey but both of the imports still look very ordinary. Sloan looks as if he's lost the will to live and Crocker plays like he's about to fall over/get stripped/throw the ball into the stands at any moment.

Without getting sucked into DJ's great offensive numbers whilst at the same time ignoring all the points he gives up at the other end, I have been pleasantly surprised by the strides Humphries is making at both ends.

You don't have 35 + 15 type games in the G-League if you can't play so it looks like he's starting to find his groove and is really showing something defensively.

Reply #828734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Henry will soon figure out Adelaide fans want either to win, or play the locals. Winning first, locals second sure. But if you don't do 1 or the other you are going to get hammered and bought down. If you do both you'll end up with Smythe or Cole like status amongst the basketball community.

Reply #828737 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Spin all you like both imports have been horrible in all aspects of the game .
Have to hide Sloan on defence and Crocker not much better .
But did they really did their homework on Sloan apart from his NBA history as apart from no D he has no attacking skills or any shooting offence and the only player close to his turnover efforts is his import offsider .
Unbelievable how wrong they got it and if dont do something quick another season gone .
So looked forward to season ahead after Joey disaster season .
We got it right with Humphries and Giddey inclusions but find someone that can shoot rather than DJ do all the inside plus the 3

Reply #828740 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"That didn't happen. The review was before the shots, and wasn't anything to do with who was shooting."

They checked who the right person to be shooting should be after DJ took one shot.

That was very, very, VERY clear.

“ You could notice that the wrong guy is at the line before the shots are taken, but you can't notice the wrong guy took the shot until after the shot is taken.”

Don't give the guy the ball at the foul line if he’s the wrong guy! It’s just comical to go along with it.

Reply #828741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of the two imports and go with locals. Try and get defensive 3/4 man import even If it takes a month to get him here and on the court.

Reply #828743 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

Could probably play CJ Turnage and/or Greg Mays until another import or 2 arrived. How would they go in the NBL?

Reply #828747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Ket, they checked what the restart was, the audio is quite clear. "Fuck it. It's the wrong shooter". Then there is further discussion with the replay centre.

Reply #828758 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Then there is further discussion with the replay centre."

What were they discussing, the weather?

Reply #828761 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why does it even matter? The rule says what the rule says. The referees didn't know the rule, and enforced the wrong penalty. Yet somehow we're upset about the thing they got right, instead of the thing they got wrong?

Reply #828765 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

For the obvious absurdity of reversing a call because the umpires didn't know who the person fouled was, and when we said it was silly, someone decided to argue the point!

Reply #828767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ tried to cheat and got caught after the umpire at half court realised it was the wrong shooter. The shots were cancelled because of that action. Live with it Ket. The correct outcome would have been SEM ball so stop your crying

Reply #828770 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anyone above the age of 5 not capable of using "you're" correctly is FAR more painful!

Reply #828771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such an SA thing to correct spelling but not admit to being a fuckwit who doesn't really watch the game or understand what happened. Cool, I used the wrong you're. The fact is if you actually watch the replay, then listen to the audio whilst you watch they articulated the correct shooter. DJ tried to cheat and thought it was funny with his pal Mitch Creek. Until he realised he cost his team 2 shots and should have cost his team possession had the umpires got the call correct.

In addition I'm not very confident children at 5 years of age do not know the difference between your and you're.

Reply #828773 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That escalated quickly.

Victorian, FYI. Just pragmatic.

Reply #828774 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Mudronja wasn't great in his first possessions, picked up ball early on Adnam and turned it over for a layup, so his +/- was very misleading as he was a negative from the outset. Once he settled though he was good. Great energy, some nice possessions and even some offensive boards. His and Mcveighs output in a couple of mins was better than Sloan and crockers combined 60 mins playing time. Crocker hasn't been getting rebounds or assists and sloan is very similar low numbers. These are team things and usually a reflection of mindset. You add in Dechs no passing and it just gets worse.

Reply #828779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Ket it's pathetic

Reply #828780 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Childress did say it took him 3 weeks to settle in, I'm not sure the Sixers can afford that with Sloan and Crocker. If this is the case maybe they should come off the bench. Would be tough for Crocker as has just come into country and out of quarantine.

Reply #828781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixtiesrockstar, I agree with you, so the only reason I can think they didn't get more is because of their plus minus was poor. I quite like the coach but if the plus, minus stopped them getting more time it’s very poor.

Reply #828783 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"if the plus, minus stopped them getting more time it's very poor."

That wouldn't have been the case. Crocker was -17 and even though that is the end of game stat he would have had poor +/- throughout.

McVeigh should have got more minutes.
Mudronja had 2 poor turnovers and couldn't defend. So it was fine if he didn't get more minutes. Teys deserved more minutes after his efforts in the previous game so I am not sure why Dillon was in front of him.

Sloan is an extremely poor defender and Crocker isn't far behind him. Both are extremely lazy.

To protect Sloan and Crocker I would like to have seen the coach throw in a zone. Unfortunately with him coaching in America for a long time he is foreign to zones. Perhaps a zone could work for this team. At least mix it up.

Reply #828786 | Report this post

krazy  
Years ago

I'm far from happy spending good coin on watching Sloan and Crocker. The NBL is a very strong league and bringing in imports that are either washed up or budget signings is disrespectful to the fan base. Our owner is not poor.

How exciting was it going every game knowing you would get incredible performances from players like Childress.

Reply #828820 | Report this post

Gano6  
Years ago

And Mitch and sobey and drmic even cadee made games interesting... Randall excitement machine ...what happened????

Reply #828826 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

For the obvious absurdity of reversing a call because the umpires didn't know who the person fouled was
If the refs didn't know who was fouled, why did they a) clearly say who was fouled and b) realise on their own that the wrong guy was at the line?

Reply #828831 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"realise on their own that the wrong guy was at the line?“

They didn't, they checked with the replay centre.

Reply #828837 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nope, not what happened.

Reply #828845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mudronja had as many assists and rebounds in under 5 minutes as the two imports combined for in almost 60 minutes.

Reply #828867 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Thankfully KR isn't arbiter of fact

Reply #828876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he isn't but on this fact he is correct. It’s clear on replay, the umpire at half way blows his whistle, walls towards the baseline ref and says "fuck it, wrong free throw shooter".

Reply #828889 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

- Michael Aylen blows his whistle, calls a holding foul.
- Aylen asks the replay centre to check for USF. He has a holding foul with "28 white holding 2 blue".
- Replay centre confirms call.
- Johnson shoots one free-throw.
- Aylen blows his whistle, announces that it's the wrong free-throw shooter and the correct shooter is "2 blue".
- Adelaide appears to argue that anyone can take the shots, Aylen replies that for a USF it has to be the player that was fouled.
- Aylen says the FTs are canceled and it's Adelaide ball from the side (incorrect, WHY ARE WE IGNORING THIS?).
- Aylen gets the replay centre to confirm.

At no point was Aylen unaware of the correct shooter. The incorrect penalty was handed out.

And yet somehow we're mad about them not knowing the correct shooter? Why can't we get mad about the thing they actually got wrong, instead of making shit up?

Reply #828924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let it go people.

Reply #828937 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Aylen gets the replay centre to confirm."

Which isn't necessary if you are certain who it should be, which is the precise point.

“Making shit up”

You’re the one who specifically said they didn’t go to the replay centre for that ie. you made shit up, now you’ve flipped and said they did. I can only assume you went back to watch it and now changed your tune on that.

Stubborn boy!

Reply #828939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ket you got owned. Move on champ

Reply #828942 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

KET, not Ket, champ

Reply #828943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're a fuckwit :)

Reply #828949 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Going to the replay centre because you don't know who should be shooting, and going to the replay centre because you know who should have been shooting and are overly paranoid, are different things.

Reply #828950 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:53 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754