Jack Toft
Years ago

United v Phoenix Jan 31

Throwdown V is here and this a case of big brother vs little brother. Like the Leyland brothers, the teams are travelling over the countryside beyond the Daylesford spas to the Golden City of Bendigo, home of the chiko roll, the first Myer's store, and the largest art gallery outside a capital city. And like the Leyland Brothers, I don’t think these brothers get on too well either. Not as well as the Hemsworth brothers, possibly a little worse than the Chappell Brothers. Sometimes the big brothers have all the skills, and sometimes the little brothers do, but one things for sure, one brother will be giving the other one the Big V at game’s end. The throw downs are 3 and 1 in United’s favour.

Undefeated Melbourne are 2 from 2 after jumping Adelaide and squeezing past the Snakes. The Phoenix would be cock a hoop after their win against Perth in Perth putting them 2 from 4.

Melbourne based fans of both teams can top up their Myki cards and catch the train from Southern Cross. Bendigo is a handy spot for all those Hornets wanting to go see the game. St Arnaud has a nice coffee shop and a park, but watch out for the geese. I can personally recommend the smashed avo on toast at Percy and Percy.

The matchups are actually quite interesting in so much as I don’t think they really do match up well, kind of like a man wearing a pair of yoga pants and a scarf. Two completely different teams and two different styles of play.. The Creeksters have their run and gun, and the Soy Boys have their "shoot and catch" style hoping to get a second bite under the key. It gets dow to the coaches, who will be able to get under the skin of the other coach more. United go in as favourites, but I’m not sure the Big Brothers will find this one as easy as they would like and shouldn't bank on a win.

Having said that, it's hard to see United drop this game

Topic #48036 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ love it :::)))))

United by 20, hard to just get back from Perth and play well. Creek rolled his ankle as well, not certain he'll play..

Reply #830284 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Really looking forward to this game, United are like the Melbourne Stars of the BBL stacked and have swagger (with more wins!).

Hoping Phoenix make a game of it, they might have had the win in Perth but still have a lot of work to do to be consistent. I rate Mitchell and reckon he needs time to make the franchise his own.

Reply #830295 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Scout, you make a good point regarding the Stars and United. Hutchy was apparently a little upset they couldn't get Giddey, but can you imagine if they did.

Reply #830308 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

TIL you can use Myki to travel outside of metro Melbourne.

Reply #830318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman needs to calm down with the constant subbing & actually let his players try get some rhythm.

Reply #830321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liking the whole commentary team, certainly this jack bloke calling the action.

Agree with above post, not only vickerman, to many coaches subbing like they think it's a 48 minute game.

Reply #830322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United need a distributor next year,

Reply #830323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(i)/Ili/short
Goulding/Mccarron
Hopson/Baba or McDaniel
White/Peatling
Local/acuil

Landale nba
Barlow retire

Reply #830324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman has played 11 players in the first half...

Reply #830325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game, Mitchell has done very well with this squad.

Reply #830327 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

The Goulding flop is back.

Damn good player but geeez he adds some mayo

Reply #830333 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

The amount of holding off the ball defensively from Melbourne United is an absolute embarrassment. The physicality they play with is hard to overcome with the depth they have.

Reply #830338 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

That's lots of excitement for a cheery picking dunk. Get back on D Landale.

Reply #830340 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's probably more relief as he's slowly realised this isn't a league you go undefeated in.

Reply #830344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd back Humphries ahead of Landale from this season form.

Reply #830345 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hopson with a donut in points.

Reply #830349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will be first to beat United this year? Surely they can't go undefeated?

Everything is stacked in their favour, even more than usual this year. They have less travel than anyone else (not just with 2 Melbourne teams, but when you consider Breakers "home" games are in Melbourne, so are essentially more home games for Melbourne teams).

Reply #830350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopson should have stayed with the Breakers. Much better fit for him than this United team.

Reply #830351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks can easily beat Melbourne.

Reply #830352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix without Pineau, Gibson and Creek on one leg did good. White looking a great pick up for United, hopefully Adelaide and hawks can match up on United in the close future. Season been great so far.
Great job from the whole commentary team today compared to the commentary from yesterday's game that was total rubbish.

Reply #830354 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Solid win from United. They couldn't quite put SEM away all game but with their depth they just grind teams down. White continues to improve, the string two handed finish off one step was impressive. Hopson still looks lost but surely will find some form. Stadium looked great and also enjoyed the commentary.

Reply #830358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it's nice to have commentary that’s not yelling at you all game and good analysis from Gaze and Santamaria not to bad. I’d still go with one analyst in hub and one onsite. You don’t need that many, it’s the nba way and they throw to a panel at games end and half. Save the money LK and put it into the teams.

Reply #830359 | Report this post

Mo  
Years ago

Hopson is shit. He is done

Reply #830360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't matter who Phoenix were missing, they’re not going very far relying on Te Stinky for 25-30 minutes a game.

Reply #830361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi was ok, there is more to basketball than just scoring points.

Reply #830362 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Heverin/Gaze/Santamaria is clearly the best commentary combo they have.

Reply #830366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what exactly is Te Rangi giving Phoenix for 3/4 of a game?

Reply #830367 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

What's the story on Hopson?

Reply #830368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You want to judge him on one game, he defended and hustled well today, things you don't get on the stats sheet. Check his game in Perth where his stats match his hustle.

Reply #830370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopson is terribly out of form. He looked shell shocked after game, but he's quality so expect it to turn around at some stage. Then United look real scary.
As for commentary, Gazes story about the tiger shitting on his shoe and him taking it as good luck and not cleaning it off is probably best laugh I've had in ages.

Reply #830371 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

No I just asked what the story is with hopson? I didn't see the game. Stats not pretty

Reply #830373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Hopson is not going to miss every shot all season. A few too many long 2s though
I thought his body language was ok, especially considering how badly he was shooting

Reply #830374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'20 Perth & Sydney > ‘21 United. Change my mind.

Reply #830375 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Idk with Hopson i think its more to do with the play style. Prather and Kennedy struggled for a while before finding a role. I mean why do we keep searching for big name SF's when they aren't used properly or aren't a focus?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Reply #830376 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Makes sense Midrange

Seem to desire the firepower. But seldom tap it

Reply #830377 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Because they're a heartless & soulless organisation with the biggest chequebook so they buy the most talented players they can irrespective of fit and mash them together expecting to win it. For all the talent they've poached they've only got one championship to show for it and needed a lot of luck in that GF to get over the line.

If you saw how Hopson was effective with NZB last season you would know he was always going to be a terrible fit at United but they can't help themselves they do it every year.

Reply #830379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They do it every year"

LOL, I love how people make crap up. Every year? Baseless BS, back it up.

They signed Prather after their own import Rashone Moore was poached by Adelaide, and after Perth low-balled him.

They signed Melo Trimble after Sydney poached Casper Ware

They signed Hopson after NZB poached Lamar Patterson from Brisbane, effectively leaving Hopson unemployed. If Melbourne didn't sign him, Hopson is not even in the NBL. He is discarded for something more shiny.

But yeah.. The "heartless and soulless oirganization" are undefeated playing with essentially 0 imports right now, just home grown Australian talent. Which other teams can claim the same? I'll wait.

Reply #830381 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Rashone Moore

It's Ramone Moore you clown and he wasn't poached he was cut by United mid-season. Do I really need to continue?

They signed Melo Trimble after Sydney poached Casper Ware

No, they poached Melo Trimble from Cairns AND Shawn Long from NZB to replace the poached Ware.

They signed Hopson after NZB poached Lamar Patterson from Brisbane, effectively leaving Hopson unemployed.

Uh, no. Hopson's new asking price far exceeded what NZB were willing to pay for him which they themselves said during the off-season as Hopson wasn't willing to reduce his asking price they signed Patterson as his replacement. Therefore logically he was cheaper. Not a problem for United though.

But yeah.. The "heartless and soulless oirganization" are undefeated playing with essentially 0 imports right now, just home grown Australian talent. Which other teams can claim the same? I'll wait.

A whopping 3 games into the season lol Don't start celebrating just yet. Hopson not fitting in a playing like shit means he doesn't count as an import now? Wow, LV level logic that. Stop and ask yourself why you've only got one import? Oh yeah that's right fringe NBA Aussie Jock Landale! Likely the highest paid player in the league. Hello chequebook!

Remember the season United paid import DJ Kennedy $750k+? The whole reason Casper left because you're GM lied to his face and told him he was the highest paid player on the team when in fact it was Kennedy? Good times, anon.

Reply #830387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Zodiac, not many overly convincing counterpoints there. I think you brought a water pistol.

Reply #830388 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Re Hopson, he has joined a team with a high volume scorer (Goulding) and a well credentialed center (Landale) who would expect to be the number one option posting up at least half of every set. It was the same scenario with Prather (Goulding/Long). Hopson will just need to work out where he fits in the chemistry. Guys like McCarron are also finding their feet in a new role running the point. If they were losing I'm sure there would be concerns but it’s a long season and at some point he’ll have to step up and be a primary target.

Reply #830389 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Landales out clause was $800,000 to Zalgiris. That's from an opposing GMs mouth so take it as you will. I imagine this was negotiated down but even so, they’ve paid compensation AND paid out some serious coin foe Landale. It’s a two team league in terms of money and to suggest Melbourne have ever operated differently is blindness. Prather is doing pretty well just quietly...

Reply #830390 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Zodiac is right with his points and #388 is a mindless troll.

One question for zodiac though. Surely Hopson has some responsibility in all this?
Demandingg money that only Melbourne could pay, and then going to a club that is obviously not a good fit for him.

Very short sighted career wise?

Reply #830408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ just goes to show, the contract United offered must have been *significantly* more than what the Breakers could afford.

This league is not an even playing field.

Reply #830410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#410 no league is

Reply #830416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zalgiris out clause was for the nba, he also only had a one year contract. United spend more than everyone though Perth were close last season, it's how sports work, the haves and have nots.

Reply #830419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather was injured pretty much all season so would not have been a good fit anywhere...
The major problems last season seemed to be on the defensive end more so than the offensive end.

Reply #830429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb have grabbed Hopson because its better to pay him to sit than play for another team

Reply #830448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's how sports work, the haves an have nots"

Not really. The NBL just wants Melbourne to win.

Reply #830456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL just want Melbourne to win".
Did you watch the 3rd game of the semi against Sydney last year? Seemed they don't always want Melbourne to win.
In fact it’s like every team gets favourable treatment sometimes and unfavourable some other times...
Just like any sport league in the world, due to human error and/or subjectivity.

Reply #830459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not talking about the refs. United winning is good for business. Melbourne is the biggest market, and United is part owned by the league. It’s all about money, unfortunately.

Reply #830463 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

His buyout was not for the NBA solely, but as I said, take it as you will.

Reply #830474 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United probably outspending everyone this year

But last season United weren't the spending "Kings", no way

Reply #830507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were LV, kings roster was put together on the cheap except for Ware and Bogut.

Reply #830509 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh yeah, Cooks who could've played with Hawks and actually got playing time. Newley. Tate. Moller who they poached off United. Kickert who they got from Brisbane. Didi (paid by NBL but still adds to overall cost of their roster).

All on the cheap.

Reply #830514 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Surprised no one mentioned it but really good game from white, he really seems to be that Shawn Marion type of player thus far, can't believe some people on here thought he wouldn’t even be a starter

Reply #830522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley took a massive pay cut, Cooks came in mid season to play under Weaver and it was this season where he got the pay rise, Moller also wanted home to play for Weaver, Kickett,lol, Brisbane didn't want him, Sydney was always his last stop for less money. Didi paid for by the league so doesn’t cost kings.
Trimble and Long were budget imports, lmao.

Reply #830525 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Don't forget Casper spurned United for a better offer, and Bogut was on big bucks. Probably 2 of the highest 3 paid players in the NBL.

Reply #830537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut contract (marquee) had the ownership deal so he was on less money. Casper was on 2yr 700k
Tate was less than 100k
Cooks took Kuany deal over so that wasn't much (This season was the money but covid cuts)
Lisch (Marquee) contract

Reply #830539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United shouldn't have lied to Casper’s face about the contracts. DJ Kennedy shouldn’t have been paid more

Reply #830540 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I don't get why people think United is heartless when they sign players. It’s a business? We have a bunch of talented Aussies and Kiwis in our team. We only have 1 import this year and United do not poach Hopson. Breakers gave up on him and signed Lamar Patterson. Hopson will get better as the season progresses. I was at the Bendigo game and it will only take time. My team is stacked in most positions. But really great they are mostly locals this season.

I met many of the players, staff and coaches and they are all great people. I’m not surprised of these’s silly comments. Melbourne is the sporting capital, it’s the only reason why we do well in sports. Only thing I’m jealous of is that most of your teams you support have not folded. It really sucked when we lost so many Victorian teams. I don’t get why the NBL didn’t bring back the South Dragons rather than Phoenix? South Dragons 1 a championship in 2009 which was just before Perth had their great success in the 2010 decant.

I never agreed when Tigers changed to United. But that’s life and people need to move on from the past. There’s only hope they may bring the license back.

Reply #830558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"United do not poach Hopson. Breakers gave up on him and signed Lamar Patterson"

Breakers couldn't afford him. If the Breakers had United’s budget, then Hopson would still be playing for them. United can always offer more money than other clubs, so they can get the best players. I think people wouldn’t dislike them as much if they did their own scouting and bring talented players into the league, rather than throwing money at other teams successful imports.

Reply #830574 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think Hopson would be in the NBL this season without United’s money.

Reply #830575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LMAO. Where did NZ get Patterson from? Where did Sydney get Ware from? Or Randle from? Or Lisch from? Where did Brisbane get Trice from? Or Torrey Craig? Did Adelaide scout and sign Moore themselves?

Yeah, Melbourne. EEEEEVIL.

Reply #830583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Breakers couldn't afford him."

Whether they could afford Hopson or not, they had signed a replacement (who I doubt is much cheaper, if at all), meaning Melbourne didn't poach him.

Reply #830586 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They signed Patterson precisely because they could get him much cheaper than Hopson.

Reply #830592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except for his food bill

Reply #830593 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:57 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754