Jack Toft
Years ago

Sydney v New Zealand Feb 12

Kudos to the Kings for smashing the Sixers last game. This is their first home game at Qudos Arena and what a game this will be. The Kings are unlucky that they are not rolling out the 2019/20 NBL Premiership Flag as their 4th flag. Instead the Wildcats hung their 10th* flag in the rafters. They would eyeing off that spot in the rafters for the 2020/21 flag, and to do that they need to win tonight.

New Zealand are languishing at the bottom of the table and wishing they were across the ditch out fishing with Clarke Gayford. Tai Webster is absolutely killing it at the moment and don't think for a moment Corey isn’t copping it from his brother back in the hotel room as he sleeps in the lower bunk . Lamar Patterson showed a spark a few games ago but needs to come out to play tonight. The Kiwi Lamar is not the Brisbane Lamar we are used to.

The Kings look like they have decided to participate this season with a dominant display over the Sixers last game. Just when I thought we needed the fork for Casper, he pulls a 27 point game out of his proverbial and Jarell Martin was the thorn in the side of the Sixers too.

So, how will this game go? Look for the three point shootout between Vasiljevic and the Webster "twins" (The NBL website has their DOBs the same) I think the tussle around the key might go the Kings way and of course the air time will be where we find Abba.

I don’t want to say this is a do or die game for NZ, but 2 & 3 is better than 1 & 4. For Sydney, a win takes them to 3 & 3 leapfrogging the Phoenix, who were well and truely burnt yesterday, and sees them outside the 4 of %.

They should just sneak past the Breakers. Will there be Mardi Gras style celebrations?

Topic #48088 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Hopefully Abercrombie has had a players only meeting and pulling his team together because their body language looked worse than how they played against the Taipans.

Reply #832114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On paper NZ win this buy the length of the straight. They have been playing poorly, Patterson has found a bit form though and should start, I think this will get the breakers going.
Kings have played hard and certainly have kept fighting but will it be enough. I don't think so. NZ by 11.

Reply #832124 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If NZ turn up looking like they did in that last game against Cairns, they get blown out big time.

Reply #832130 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

If the Webster brother will pass the ball, Nz have a big chance..

Reply #832153 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

If the Webster brother will pass the ball, Nz have a big chance..

Reply #832154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney win and it won't be close unfortunately.

Reply #832170 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Breakers only have Tai and Patterson as creative players ie create their own shot. Finn and Bach help out a little, but everyone else are pretty much spectators. Waiting to take a shot We rely so much on the 3 ball and we are collectively struggling.
Corey and Patterson do not use an on ball very well so it puts a lot of pressure 1 on 1 penetration.

Loe is only effective in fading back for a 3. He is OK but not lights out.
I would use Finn as screener on Tai's man, because he can put it on the floor after switch.
Corey needs to get going to take pressure off Patterson.

Carlton is a garbage man but this is usually a local spot. They probably need another 2/3 who can do a little and put some points on the board.
Great how Tai can get into the paint so easily but he needs to be kicking it out a little more and not just getting his 20.
Casper usually reserves his best for us so we have to put a lid on him.

Reply #832180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting lineup to start for the Breakers.

Reply #832189 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Mistake Tai.
Casper is the toughest 1on1 defender in league. If the best you can is a step back fade away, put it away.
Breajers offence looked OK and did not need Tai's. 1 on 5 play.

Reply #832192 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ's body language far better, playing a lot better.
Far from perfect but at least right in it and not digging a hole.

Reply #832194 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Kings running zero for Martin. So his contribution is just to wander around committing dumb fouls every now and then. Zero effort from him.

Reply #832195 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

NZB looked a lot better starting Patterson and even if not scoring he's making good plays out there.

Reply #832196 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The constant mispronounciation of Vasiljevic is starting to get me now, FFS we had a Vasiljevic in the NBL for years with Pero.

Reply #832198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much does it cost to see two games at the NBL Cup? I've watched every NBL game this week and am yet to hear anything about pricing.

Reply #832199 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I like Corey, Patterson sharing the ball. Finn getting little more action. Corey looks comfortable.

Reply #832200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How much does it cost to see two games at the NBL Cup? I've watched every NBL game this week and am yet to hear anything about pricing."

Clearly you must have been out 9f the room. $17. Assuming they allow spectators.

Reply #832201 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Nz looking way more cohesive.
Corey and Tai heating up and Shamir running a short rotation.

Reply #832202 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

This free throw shooting is killing us.

Reply #832203 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Breakers looking good now love watching Patterson and C-Web when they're up and about.

Reply #832204 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm just happy NZ look like a pro basketball team and not a train wreck.
They have always had the horses but looked way off in Adelaide and Cairns.

Reply #832205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vasiljevic is really good.
With White, Giddey, Wetzell, King etc, this has to be the best group of rookies the league has ever had

Reply #832206 | Report this post

Samson  
Years ago

Where is Weeks? Get rid of Corey Webster, couldn't care less about his scoring he is a f...n shit defender and his attitude stinks!!

Reply #832208 | Report this post

Vesta25  
Years ago

Reply #832209 | Report this post

Samson  
Years ago

At least Weeksy plays with heart and has a go!

Reply #832210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm just happy NZ look like a pro basketball team and not a train wreck."
The whole game was a train wreck!

Reply #832211 | Report this post

Vesta25  
Years ago

Sydney no fouls last quarter!!!

Reply #832212 | Report this post

Samson  
Years ago

This team is an absolute joke! Playing away from
Home or not, the Breakers are a joke! I want Abercrombie or Matt Walsh to come out and apologise to the fans!

Reply #832213 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Far better effort from nz until the wheels fell off down the stretch.
Casper Ware hit some big 3's

Reply #832214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers much improved although after they were up 69-63 they got sloppy and cost them the game.

A seriously lopsided foul count.

Vasiljevic has got game.

Colton Iverson continues to improve.

The Kings are doing well to get wins with so many players out. Shows good coaching and some savvy play by vets like Bruce.

Reply #832215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, although Patterson got a start and made some crafty plays, he's still out of shape. I can’t help but feel the Breakers are going to go on a tear to end the season and miss the playoffs by a game.

Reply #832216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers only 37% from the field and only 52% from the FT line. If they can shoot better, they're going to start winning games.

Reply #832217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with the comment about Corey Webster. Has always had a shit attitude, teams are better off without him. Sure he scores, but dribbles the piss out of the ball and the rest of the players are literal bystanders when he's on.

Reply #832218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had so much hope for the breakers this season, but home advantage is really so important, especially with all the home cooking in this league.

Reply #832219 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Also, although Patterson got a start and made some crafty plays, he's still out of shape. I can't help but feel the Breakers are going to go on a tear to end the season and miss the playoffs by a game.

This is exactly what happened to the Bullets last season - missed the playoffs on countback.

Reply #832222 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Breakers bad. Kings just as bad. Refs appallingly bad.

Reply #832223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd sack the incompetent Dan Shamir in a heartbeat Obviously lost the team's trust and respect. Was always a suspect hire. Don't forget the journos that hyped Shamir!

Reply #832226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is a foul a minute on defence, his offence is high quality. Coaches will be targeting Martin inside and his fouls could hurt kings. Very scrappy game. NZ are doing tough living in one another's pockets and it shows on the court.

Reply #832227 | Report this post

Samson  
Years ago

I just can't understand how Weeks can’t get a look. Get back to Cairns Weeksy where they respect you and you’ll play good minutes.

Shamir is a question mark. Mody and Cherly know their shit but what about the other bloke- who is he/what does he add? I remember seeing a vid on the Breakers fb and it looked like the players absolutely disregarded/didn’t care about what he was saying....

Reply #832228 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

For the most part this was a disappointing, low quality game.

Lots of bad turnovers- caused by terrible skill errors or disorganised offence. (As opposed to more tolerable/watchable turnovers caused by aggressive creativity or great defense).

Too many soft fouls called on both teams, especially NZ

D Russell commentating. Overall, not a great advertisement for bball

The big names Casper, Patterson and Tai Webster all struggling in first half. Martin let himself down with dumb fouls early but got going later which was nice. He's a handful to defend. Patterson a bit unlucky, copped some soft fouls. They need the ball in his hands more. Stupid coaching by Shamir to bench him in Q4. He's a superstar, whether in form or not.

Wouldn't be surprised if NZ struggle on the road. Already got killed by ref's in...Adelaide was it? And tonight lots soft fouls too. But reffing isn't the main issue. It's just harder to find your groove without any home crowds behind you giving you confidence. Home teams win 60-65% of games. Despite their quality roster logic suggests they'll struggle to make playoffs with that disadvantage.

Kings, I like what they're doing. They'll be formidable with Cooks and Didi. Vasiljevic can really shoot.

Reply #832229 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Never imagined I'd see Shaun Bruce guarding Patterson on anything but switches, but I'm not sure Patterson did anything outside of some pretty nice passes off that (to be fair the Kings sent help immediately, but still).

Reply #832230 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

After having seen a little of each team my GF prediction is United vs Sydney. Unfinished business after having met in playoffs 2 years straight and neither having won the title. And for United after their Game 1 choke and then horrendously abysmal reffing in Game 3 last year

Perth and Hawks my best guess at 3rd and 4th.

Perth given lack of depth and roster composition, injuries to any of Cotton, Mooney, Blanchfield or Norton would be diabolical but if those guys stay healthy their system should get them into the 4.

Reply #832231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My original top 4 in no particular order
Melbourne
Perth
Cairns
NZ

My new top 4 ( again no particular order)
Melbourne
Perth
Hawks
Sydney

Cairns and NZ have turned to shit, never considered SEM while Brisbane and Adelaide are quite simply mid table.

Reply #832235 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Breakers roster is just a really weird, random mishmash of players - the result is terrible chemistry and no clear style of game.
It reminds me of the dinners I used to cook when I first moved out of home - where id chuck anything on my plate and wondered why it tasted so bad.

Reply #832237 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Samson really.

Weeks is awful. Shamir had to shorten rotations and dropping weeks was obvious. He can go back to cairbs.

Stop the babyish whining about walsh apologising to fans. Walsh is funding a team with no home game revenue. Your are being a drop kick. He should be knighted.

Reply #832238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Shamir is a question mark. Mody and Cherly know their shit but what about the other bloke- who is he/what does he add?"

Jacob Moolaly. He's basically a video coordinator. A very young guy, possibly working free for experience, but he has been rated for his analysis by Draftexpress.

Reply #832243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Weeks is awful. Shamir had to shorten rotations and dropping weeks was obvious. He can go back to cairbs."

Yep. He brings good energy on defence but his shot selection is awful. I think that's why Bach has swallowed his minutes. Bach is a better defender and only takes open shots late in the shot clock. That guy knows his role.

I think the Breakers are improving. Credit to Shamir for tightening the rotation and getting improvement from Iverson. He played well (finally) by being a presence on the offensive glass and setting great screens. Loe really needs to learn how to screen.

Reply #832244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very hard to keep all happy when living in one another pocket all the time. I'm not writing nz off just yet, win 4-5 straight and you are back in it. I thought the foul count was very lob sided, not saying they weren’t there but it looked a bit like Perth arena, one end foul, the other, didn’t see that.

The five that finished the last 6/7 minutes for the kings was there best available and should get more time together, Ware, Bruce, Dejon, Moller , Martin. The came from 5 down to 10 point win. Moller helps out so much defensively, Bruce structurally and the others scoring.

Reply #832248 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Trist will be hating himself going to NZ to sit on the bench

Reply #832253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist shouldn't be in the NBL.

Reply #832254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist is pretty average player.
Sacked mid season in Melbourne.
South east didn't resign him.
NZ will be his last stop, no one signing him after this.

Reply #832255 | Report this post

Samson  
Years ago

Bigdog you clearly have no clue

Reply #832257 | Report this post

Afakasi247  
Years ago

I'm not writing off Shamir. He knows the game, he knows what he’s doing - you call tell by the way he holds himself.

Last year with the Breakers it was teething problems at the start and injury woes. Once the team became accustomed to Shamir systems and got players back they went on that run.

This season, it’s waiting for Patterson and Iverson to mould in and contribute. But you also are running everything through both Webster’s - who on their day are first class players - but with Tai for example, it’s nice to see him rolling but he’s not getting the other players into rhythm early so you end up relying on him and he ends up over shooting.

The breakers did a lot better moving the ball in this game. They actually looked half decent for the most part, until they gave up that late run.

Still inconsistent on offense though - FT % is trash too. They are also Struggling to defend without fouling (and being on the road all season means you gonna face 9-0 4th quarter penalty counts in the home teams favour).

They had their chances to close out the Kings but they failed.

The Breakers couldve (and should’ve) been 3-2 right now (they should’ve beat Adelaide in their first game, and the Kings here) but are in a 1-4 hole instead. The team is better than what’s being displayed here.

If you listen to the post game presser Shamir and Finn share a little about their struggles being on the road. The uncertainty. Either being in practice or alone in their hotel room. No balance. Being away from family.

As coach said, it’s no excuse but it puts things into perspective some what.

Reply #832258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth given lack of depth and roster composition

They are two costly turnovers away from being in first place

Reply #832260 | Report this post

Samson  
Years ago

Good points there Afakasi.

Reply #832262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given anyone who has played south east for 3 out of four games would be in first place.

Reply #832264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley was excellent in commentary, he's come along way. Him and a caller plus one on side line is all that is required. Gaze, Santa, Hooley, find one more and that will do.

Reply #832272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone explain to me why the Breakers signed Trist, when Vodanovich was in career best form in the NZNBL, played a reasonable amount of minutes last season, was a decent back up and knows Shamirs systems. This is a serious question.

Reply #832273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZNBL was high school level standard at best. There is no form guide from that NZ bubble.

Reply #832277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ ok, forget about the NZNBL then. Vodanovich was decent for the breakers last season. Trist has barely even got on the court.

Reply #832278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodanovich was not that good last night, Trist is a much bigger body. It's much of a muchness, Trist being bigger probably gets him the nod.

Reply #832282 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think they just decided to cut bait with Vodanovich. Remember the drunk episode during a plane flight last season? You can tolerate that out of star players not not end of bench guys so with Trist you're not missing much.

Reply #832284 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Trists recruitment was a shocker.

Galloway the dp plays before him.

I can think of about a dozen players I would have recruited before him.

Reply #832297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two issues with Vodanovic: he isn't big enough to play the 5 although the Breakers tried and he’s a bit of a larrikin (always has been and always will; I coached him).

The Breakers just need a third big and it’s probably turned out Galloway > Trist. I understand Galloway goes to the full roster next year anyway.

Reply #832299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith-Milner is a better 4/5 than Trist or Vodanovic. Sometimes it's who you know or who your agent is.

Reply #832301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith Milner is 20 kHz overweight. Sometimes it depends on your diet and off-season routine too

Reply #832306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*kgs

Reply #832308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, I'd take an overweight Smith Milner over Trist and Vodanovic too...

Reply #832309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ certainly in the four, five positions. I'm not certain how you know he’s over weight, he wasn’t in the nznbl.

Reply #832313 | Report this post

Samson  
Years ago

Why sign Trist at all when they could have got Wetzell.

Also, why does Galloway have Kirk's number 6?? Just like RJ had Mika’s number 14- honestly Breakers, this sort of stuff needs to be honoured- retire 14 and 6!!

Reply #832317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He sure was in the NZ showdown. And he looked terrible

Reply #832320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Vodanovich killed Smith Milner in every category

Reply #832321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes smith Milner played NZNBL
Vodanovich 23 points and 10 rebounds at 46% from 3pt
Smith Milner 15 points and 7 rebounds

Reply #832323 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Miller was over weight in the nznbl

I'd still take him over trist.

And vodanavich over trist.

But yes. Wetzell is who they should have gone for. Better than Iverson as well.

Reply #832326 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Trist is not anywhere near the same money as Wetzell
So let's not pretend they are like for like.
Wetzell is only at SE Melbourne because of visa issues in Germany.
NZ tried to get him but probably couldn’t offer enough money and guaranteed minutes.
Trist is probably playing for peanuts.

Reply #832385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro, to much commonsense there for hoops. I still think smith-Milner would've been a better option.

Reply #832407 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Mystro

Yes money would have come into it.

But iverson would be on more than wetzell.

Reply #832596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 pm, Thu 2 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754