JMS
Years ago

How long will United continue with Scotty Hopson?

Interested to hear people's thoughts on how long United continue with Hopson. Just read Liam’s Stud’s n Dud’s article and he highlighted the continued poor form of Hopson. In my opinion the intensity just doesn’t seem to be there, basic errors being made and his shot seems to have completely deserted him. The air ball foul shot last game summed it up.

Will he improve, was he seriously overrated or is it just extremely hard to fit in a ball dominant non-point guard at United?

I wonder how much better a fit someone like DJ Newbill would be (great fundamentals, exceptional defence and reliable stroke)?

Topic #48129 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're stuck with him. Just hope his form improves, I guess

Reply #834199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gloom and doom after 1 loss. You guys still doing well.

Reply #834200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doing well, yes. Hardly thanks to Hopson though

Reply #834202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, he's not going anywhere, it’ll work out ok.

Reply #834203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's the best passer on the team.

Reply #834207 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I reckon they'll give him to end of NBL Cup then make a decision.

This is not sustainable. United is winning yes, but only just, and teams like Sydney and SEM will only improve with full rosters.

I don't think he's a terrible fit. He's just horribly out of form. Not the same player as last season. Lost confidence, lost touch.

I'd consider doing what they did with Trimble. Bring him off the bench. Make him the man with the 2nd unit. Start Ili instead. Or Baba for now.

Reply #834208 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wait, Baba's already starting. McDaniel then I guess.

Reply #834209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McDaniel ahead of Hopson, yeah right, you want to put the scotch bottle down.

Reply #834210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This is not sustainable. United is winning yes, but only just, and teams like Sydney and SEM will only improve with full rosters."

As will Melbourne with a full roster.

Reply #834211 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[McDaniel ahead of Hopson, yeah right, you want to put the scotch bottle down.]

You wouldn't have thought United would bring CG43 or Trimble off the bench. They've done both over the past 2 seasons.

Speaking of United players though, going off topic a bit, why is Landale $15 for MVP? He's been comfortably the best player on the team who's 2 games clear on top. That should make him close to favourite. Maybe 2nd after Cotton. This is a guard's league after all but Bradtke, Anstey, Conklin, Bogut all won it.

Reply #834213 | Report this post

greggo  
Years ago

Hopson is quality.

Watching him struggle is really tough and weird, but I have absolutely no doubt he'll come good.

He's looking a bit like Ware from last year. Some comical level lack of confidence at the moment. Something will flip in his mind and the confidence will bounce back. Maybe it will be that dunk towards the end of last game

Reply #834214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They might have come off the bench but had better players starting than McDaniel.

Reply #834215 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

True. I don't like the idea of McDaniel starting either. Maybe wait till Ili or CG is back, and if Hopson still struggling do it then

Reply #834216 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sure if it's ever been officially confirmed but I have heard it said that once imports play their first year in the NBL on a one year non-guaranteed contract any contracts they sign from a second season onwards are fully guaranteed like local players.

If that is true then United couldn't release Hopson without paying him out for the full season which would make his release unlikely.

Reply #834217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's looking a bit like Ware from last year. Some comical level lack of confidence at the moment. Something will flip in his mind and the confidence will bounce back. Maybe it will be that dunk towards the end of last game"

Casper definitely didn't play this bad, you can say the 5 games in Finals he looked like this but he was still 2nd team NBL averaging almost 20 pts a game & average 30 vs Melbourne ... Percentages weren’t what you was capable of mainly because of the offense Weaver put in, midrange or floats were looked down upon so he shot a lot more 3s which isn’t necessarily his game ... If you guys had last year Casper as Hopson you’ll be undefeated still & nobody would even bring up bringing another import to help this already stacked squad

Reply #834226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People here don't realize how much he's being paid to dish up these horrible performances. We've actually played better when he's on the bench. I was sitting not far from the United bench the other night and the body language was horrible. Dean wouldn't even look at him. He doesn't fit our team at all he needs iso to play to succeed. Surely a better fit on the market, Brandon Paul will be a star in this league. If the 36ers can obtain him then I can only imagine the quality Melbourne could bring in

Reply #834227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't find the body language all that bad. Obviously when you’re playing well below your standard, it’s not going to be all smiles and laughs on the bench. But he seems to get along with teammates and be encouraged. There is still hope!

Reply #834243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's the best passer on the team."

Nope, watch McCarron.

Reply #834250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scotty is currently stinking it up so this is a valid question!

United are winning but wouldn't be shocked if they are looking at alternatives as it could take some time to get another player in from the US if they pull the trigger

Reply #834252 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Nope, watch McCarron.

McCarron's a terrible PG poor decision making almost a walking turnover in saying that we all saw last season at NZB that Hopson flourished as an iso/gimme the ball and clear it out type which meant he was never going to fit in with United's system but as United is run by people who don't know basketball they decided to sign him anyway and likely for big money too.

Reply #834256 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[McCarron's a terrible PG poor decision making almost a walking turnover]

I disagree. That hasn't been my perception this season.

And the stats seem to back me up

McCarron is averaging 4.8 assist per game (6th in the NBL). And 2.3 turnovers.

A better assist/turnover ratio that one of the 5 players above him on the assist table (Tai Webster), roughly same as Giddey, slightly behind Sykes. Only 2 players have a substantially better assist/turnover ratio- Cotton and Machado.

McCarron has more assists AND a better a/t ratio than Ware, Sobey, Cadee.

Norton has less assists and less turnovers.

Reply #834257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron is a very good passer. IMO Hopson is the best passer in terms of creating something for others on his own on broken play, rather than executing the offence and getting it to the right spots, which McCarron does well.

Reply #834259 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^ Spot on anon #259. They're both good passers but different types of players. McCarron is more structured, Hopson is more of a creative improviser.

Reply #834262 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't know what you guys are talking about but I watched a United game the other week and he was a turnover machine continually throwing passes to nobody out of court and I've seen enough over the past couple of years of him trying to play PG to say he's a terrible PG.

Maybe not quite Sobey level bad but he just doesn't have any PG skills in him. A good player overall just terrible as a PG but United keep being United.

Reply #834263 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

McCarron's a utility player.

But he can capably run the point.

Damien Martin wasn't a natural or traditional style point guard either, but he won 6(?) championships as a starting point guard.

I'd say McCarron is a more capable point guard at the offensive end of the floor than Martin was.

Reply #834264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know what I've been watching and McCarron has been really solid as a PG. He's not perfect, but who is? Really enjoying how he's stepped into the role.

Reply #834266 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Yes 6 championships for Martin

Reply #834269 | Report this post

Dione  
Years ago

McCarron as PG is fine. You don't need the traditional, natural PG that quarterbacks the team in the modern game, as long as you have guys that can create, be a threat, and make good decisions, and Hopson can definitely do that at his best. Looked better in spurts today at least, and MU still 8-1 despite CG43 and Illi missing time. Baba has been really solid.

Reply #834395 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Getting better by the game he is safe.

Reply #834813 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:35 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754