Anonymous
Years ago

Deng Adel released by the Hawks

Olgun:
This was the best outcome for both parties. This NBL stint was only hurting Adel's career; sure, a marquee local getting cut is unprecedented but his value was just getting worse and worse. For the Hawks, Adel was consistently a net negative on both ends so they don’t lose much.

Topic #48429 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good riddance over hyped turd.

Reply #845585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no need for a personal attack just because he didn't play as well as you hoped.

Reply #845586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What local could they get quickly.

Reply #845587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they could get maker for 10 games...

Reply #845588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much $ was Adel on as a marquee player?

Reply #845589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot.

Reply #845590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey
Jessup
Simon
Maker
Froling

Naar
White
Grida
Deng
Ogilvy

Reply #845592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crap attitude the day he turned up.

Bairstow another rubbish signing so the Hawks will be very very short handed.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sign no one as Gorg has lost the players anyway.

Reply #845593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker will be as bad as Adel, some people never learn.

Reply #845596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way, maker would be great.

Reply #845597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coenrad out of retirement

Reply #845598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marquee, probably on 500k plus. Good out come for the Hawks, could another nbl club pick him up?.

Reply #845599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't need a sf with Simon and grida, they need a stud 4

Reply #845601 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Goorjian should be COTY with that crap roster having a them a touch under .500

Reply #845602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson only has cotton n Mooney, they lost Martin Terrico plumlee

Reply #845603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you basing your opinion on Maker being great, the same media that told us how great Adel was and would clean up nbl. You should actually try and watch a few games. Also Maker has not played in 18 months.

Reply #845605 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Also Maker has not played in 18 months.

3 months.

Reply #845608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't any good? Bad attitude? Club needs to take equal responsibility from a recruitment point of view. Bad luck.

Reply #845609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Goorjian should be COTY with that crap roster having a them a touch under .500"

You can't be serious? Three imports, a returning NBA player, a decent Aussie veteran big and an up and coming big, and he's done nothing with them.

It's time we started calling Goorjian out for being completely overrated.

Reply #845610 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Which Maker? Thon suited for Cleveland earlier this year. Last played in the NBA in mid-Jan.

Matur?

Reply #845611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its up to the player to actually care and have a decent go.

Reply #845613 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Overhyped, fraudulent and lazy.

Goodbye.

It would be interesting to find out who exactly at the Hawks was behind signing him in the first place. Shocking mismanagement.

Reply #845615 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

Making way for Gelo ??

https://youtu.be/Ji8mMGN2TwQ

Reply #845616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lock up everything or it might go missing.

Reply #845617 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You can't be serious? Three imports, a returning NBA player, a decent Aussie veteran big and an up and coming big, and he's done nothing with them.

It's time we started calling Goorjian out for being completely overrated.

Dead serious their roster is disgusting, I said that before the season started and why I had the Hawks finishing bottom. This is arguably the greatest coaching performance of Goorjian's career to have this Hawks team 5th at 12-14.

Deng Adel turned out to be a disastrous signing, as some on here predicted, Bairstow was always going to be a bad signing we saw that mistake by the Bullets. Soft as butter and injury prone. Two cheap G-League imports with major deficiencies in their games and local players that would make the Taipans blush. Jessup turned out well.

Reply #845618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy.
The first time in NBL history the hawks paid more for players and coaches then their "big brothers" Sydney.
Been very underwhelming.

Reply #845619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who gives a toss about the kings.

Reply #845620 | Report this post

Thanks  
Years ago

Goorjian newds the overwhelming best roster in the league and a boring grind it out gameplan to be successful

Reply #845621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks is available at seasons end, Kay as well, marquee money can get you a good player.

Reply #845622 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

The Hawks have not spent more than Sydney.

Reply #845626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they have. By a considerable margin.

Reply #845629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be the CEO to know how much they spent or just a s. T talker

Reply #845630 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It wouldn't surprise me if the Hawks have spent more than the Kings. Most of the Kings players were already under contract thus they're taking 50% pay cuts, the new signings were Martin who was playing for peanuts in the G-League, Vasiljevic who wasn't getting paid at all in college and Glover a benchie from the Hawks.

It was rumoured that Deng Adel signed with the Hawks on pretty big money and none of the Hawks players were previously under contract.

Reply #845631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney spent half a mill more.

Reply #845632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney total budget compared to hawks.

Reply #845635 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Chances to play in Tokyo just took a dive

Reply #845645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please take Cooks. Another over rated player.

Reply #845651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Santamaria tweeting kings should take him, lol, he's still believing in the hype, I suppose he’s part of the reason for the hype. Forde to smart to bring him in.

Reply #845664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The boomers list can be cut down significantly.
Can take out 5 guys right now.

Reply #845666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sydney spent half a mill more." If they did someone should be sacked.

Reply #845668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 5.

Reply #845669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another over hyped bum!

Reply #845679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel shows that his game is built for G-League adn NBA style of game but in a more FIBA style of basketball he doesn't have the fundamentals or game smarts to effect winning and simply isn't good enough!

Reply #845680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The worst best player i know

Reply #845681 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Apparently Will Magnay is in quarantine, few teams would be chasing that right now.

Reply #845684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone calling Gorgi overrated speaks volumes to how stupid he or she is. Typical don't know the first thing about basketball never played anywhere domestic leagues don’t count hahahahhaah

Reply #845688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No heart or discipline....gee that's a surprise.

Reply #845689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone calling Goorjian Gorji is even stupider.

Reply #845694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think even the most one eyed Gorjian fan has to admit that the coaching has caught up to him since he has been away.

The answers to some of the problems presented by other teams this year, just haven't been there, and although the Hawks locals aren't the best, he does have one of the best scorers the league has seen in a while. Imagine what other coaches would do with Harvey?

For me how he goes with the Boomers will be the litmus test. If it's the same, grind, grind, grind at one end, with only the amoeba to change things up in the half court and the 4 out 1 in - cut opposite corner stuff that clearly lacks the variation other teams have available to them, then we're in real trouble.

Here's hoping that he's got a LOT more in the bag for the big kids, but I'm worried that he's looking starting to look a little fossilised.

Reply #845708 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

I'm pretty comfortable in my source. I also know that what the Hawks spent THIS year would have put them at sixth highest spend for last season.

You have to understand that all of the GMs know each other’s spend.

Reply #845720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjo reminds me of my grandpa was young once but alas now is old.

Reply #845721 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Goorj is doing OK in my view.

He has gotten more out of Froling, AJ, and utlised Harvey and JJ well.

Grida is also picking up where he left off, with Naar serviceable.

The downsides are the injuries to Deng, Bear and Adel's disappearing act.

Adel probably came into the team expecting to be the focal point and spiralled downwards when it became clear he is behind Harvey, JJ, Froling, Simon .

Reply #845727 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Also think Goorj is doing ok. Team has some talent and he's gotten a lot out of some of the supporting pieces, but roster a bit unbalanced also and the imports are a bit more one-way than Goorj would probably like.

Adel worth another shot I feel, unless there is an attitude issue, which I haven't heard outside of this thread. Cairns should snap him up and put him at the 4 spot and see what happens.

Reply #845728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian chose the imports.

Reply #845729 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Illawarra have had the worst offense (107.3 ORTG) and third best defense (108.9 DRTG) this season.

Chalk up some of the offensive deficiencies to talent, but this might support the notion that Goorjian's philosophy hasn't evolved THAT much over recent years.

Reply #845732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some punters on here don't have a clue,
Perth keep winning championships because they play DEFENCE, Goorj has got to get that right first, good offence flows from good D.
Harvey needs a lot of ball and is a bit of a one out player, hasn’t helped even though he has been good, at least he shoots at a good percentage and plays ok D.
Adel has done nothing at either end, Bairstow is injury prone as usual have been there two big mistakes for money invested. Is this on management or the coach or both.
The rest of the locals have improved there games significantly, an example is that Naar actually plays reasonable D now. AJ has had his best year in seasons, Froling, Deng both on the up.
Jessup and Simon have been ok to good.
They are still a chance of finals which would be remarkable.
The nbl, fiba competitions and European basketball is not like the nba, as proved in the last World Cup, USA second, third string side could not get it done.
Goorj will be fine, just hope politics doesn’t get in the way of selections as it looks like in the forty man squad.

Reply #845734 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Interesting stat which makes sense - Goorjian is the father of sludgeball in the NBL after all.

Reply #845736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The level of knowledge that people think they know how much teams spend on their rosters from so called reliable sources is astonishing
No GM or anyone close to that information would let it leak out,that's why none of the players salaries have been made public for salary cap reasons

Reply #845738 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Glad you're astonished. I was going for flabbergasted, but I’ll sleep well all the same knowing it’s got you riled up.

Reply #845740 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Some punters on here don't have a clue,
Perth keep winning championships because they play DEFENCE, Goorj has got to get that right first, good offence flows from good D.
I like that you posted this in response to someone pointing out they have the third-best defence in the league, but their offence is terrible.

Reply #845749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't rile me up, it’s just a laugh that you think you have inside knowledge

Reply #845752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the two players you sign as marquees fail you, I'd say your offence failed for that reason. Adel never showed up and Bairstow only play spasmodically due to injuries.
Defence still wins premierships.

Reply #845762 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

I don't think anything. I’m mates with a GM at one of the clubs. Believe it or not, they have friends, and we discuss stuff.

After all, it’s not like anyone gives a shit about it other than the people on these forums.

Reply #845781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Goorj has done OK. The Hawks are better than I expected. And I think everyone, including the Hawks, expected much, much more from Adel. At the same time, the quality of coaches and players are probably much better than Goorjian's last stint and league parity is probably much better.

Reply #845835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolt said "I don't think anything. I'm mates with a GM at one of the clubs. Believe it or not, they have friends, and we discuss stuff."
Pretty sure mate that when it comes t the crunch about what GM's talk about you aren't included. If you are then your GM mate needs sacking.

Reply #845840 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why are you replying to someone whose sole purpose is to troll

Reply #845850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolt is indeed a troll.

Reply #845861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't write off Goorjian yet. Remember when the Hawks got off to a flying 4-0 start? Deng Adel was injured for those games. This will be addition by subtraction and you can expect the Hawks form to pick up again.

Reply #845868 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

People saying Bairstow is soft as butter!?!? This is absurd.

Bairstow is a high-skill player with superb touch around the rim. He's an asset to any franchise lucky enough to have him.

Reply #845872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow is not soft, just injured a lot. Adel has been bad, hasn't contributed to the hawks at all, so no loss.

Reply #845876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if Illawarra got Dech and Blanchfield instead of Adel and Bairstow and got an import 4 instead of Simon

Reply #845877 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Lucky Hawks then hey Jick.

Hoping Adel's departure and Magnay's supposed quarantine are just a coincidence.

Reply #845885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks would have needed him in quarantine three days earlier than he was rumoured to have arrived in order to make him qualify

Reply #845892 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

re: "Hoping Adel's departure and Magnay's supposed quarantine are just a coincidence."

Would help Magnay's Boomers' ambitions if under Goorjian at the Hawks.

And, having Magnay with Froling and Ogilvy would help Goorjian's NBL ambitions, no-end.

Reply #845896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks tweeted last night that Bairstow and Adel out tonight due to injury.

Reply #846234 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Hawks tweeted last night that Bairstow and Adel out tonight due to injury."

I saw that too, maybe they have no chance of Magnay so holding Adel?

Reply #846238 | Report this post

Years ago

Adel is now gone

Reply #846348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to Perth I'm hearing.

Reply #846356 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754