VicBaller
Years ago

Simmons Doubtful Olympics

According to Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

'Ben Simmons is doubtful to play for Australia in Tokyo Olympics, sources said. Will spend offseason working on skill development. Aussies scheduled to begin training this week in L.A.‘

Topic #48755 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Said in another post I am was worried about this but you could see it coming. How he struggled so much he is in his head and got so ego checked that he really needs to try and fix this. Really sucks for us but I can see while he will miss.

Reply #855411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he backs out, he should never be eligible again.

Reply #855412 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

https://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/nba/ben-simmons-reportedly-pulls-out-of-tokyo-2021-olympics/news-story/18f6a1ae1633c6952e7d7a900600111e

Reply #855413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liar, he's been playing call of duty and pc games in off season the last 3 and training very little.

Reply #855414 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Hahahah, I called it so hard. The guy is weak. Boomers better off without him. Games on the line he's on the bench anyway.

Reply #855415 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Just so disappointing - it hurts the medal perspects.

Hard to care for the guy anymore on the world stage, he doesn't represent Australia so he’s just another NBA player not on my NBA team now

Reply #855416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soooo...

Dellavedova/Exum
Mills/Goulding/Thybulle
Ingles/1 of Green, Creek, Broekhoff
Landale/2 of Kay, Motum, Cooks
Baynes/Humphries

Maybe finish 6-9th

Reply #855417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a shock

Reply #855418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't want to see him get a chance again, doesn’t derserve it. Who passes up the olympics when you are healthy?

Reply #855419 | Report this post

Tricks  
Years ago

> it hurts the medal perspects.

Although I acknowledge that it's Goorjian and not Andrej I believe that this increases our medal chances.

I can't help but feel that whoever the Boomers coach was would have been incredibly likely to play through Ben down the stretch. This would have resulted in lower percentage plays, poor shooting, missed free throws, etc.

Current Ben isn't helping anybody in clutch situations. His D would have helped keep us in games but his O isn't enough. This isn't the NBA where the coaches can keep subbing him in and out. Had he tried to do this at an Olympic level you're only clowning him and it's not something the coach can do.

So instead of it being the Ben show this will be the Boomers show. I can live with that.

Reply #855420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends what system they play and his position.
The only thing he can't do is shoot.

Thybulle can’t shoot, Exum can’t shoot, creek historically can’t shoot, they still add something.

Reply #855421 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Can live with 60% free throw shooting - not great, but could live with it

Reply #855422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fiba game is better for Simmons

Reply #855423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really surprising considering how his playoff exit happened. I believe doc even said in his postgame interview that they're gonna be working on it so before any starts slinging shit at the bloke I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s basically being forced by philly to not go and stay in the us to work on shooting.

Would be kinda funny tho if Thybulle plays and he doesn’t

Reply #855424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't play he’ll have only 1 maybe 2 chances at olympics.
People thought hed be a 5 time Olympian.

Reply #855425 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Simmons probably ruined Kendall Jenner lol

Reply #855427 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Unsurprising.

Very disappointing though. He would've brought things that helped the Boomers immensely at both ends of the floor.

Reply #855430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Simmons Doubtful"

Is this a way of staging the withdrawal ? The Olympics isn't that far away, should have an idea by now if he's playing or not.

Is it a tactic instead of outright saying "No" straight away, to say, "I'm doubtful" and then a week or two later say "I'm out".
Feels like he's easing into telling everyone the news.

Reply #855432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never again. Same story every offseason, I'll work on my shooting....
What’s changed in 5 seasons?

Reply #855433 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yep, he ain't going to Tokyo

Reply #855434 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Boomers insta were posting about Simmons and Thybulle, obviously a last ditch effort.

Reply #855435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's changed in 5 season? The honeymoon period is over and now he is fighting game for another pay check down the line.

Reply #855436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah pretty sure the Instagram has very little to do with selections and getting guys to play it's mostly just some promotion of players who either have or will suit up for Australia.

Reply #855438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh no the sky is falling, the sky is falling, some people online don't want him to apart of the boomers...

Reply #855440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not anymore.

Reply #855441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he does pull out then there's no excuse anymore behind his free throw shooting, obviously he’s not gonna be a 80-90% shooter from the line but if he can’t even get to like 60 (as in during the playoffs as I think he shot 60% during the regular season) then what does this bloke even do in his off season.

A side note, how many of rich Paul’s clients have pulled out already or will because surely it can’t be a coincidence that most of his clients (big name ones in particular) end up not playing in international competition

Reply #855442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Klutch = leach.

Reply #855444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olgun still refuses to call him out.

Reply #855445 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

No surprise, but a massive fail from Ben.

He's had multiple years where it was clear he needed to improve his shooting, but simply hasn't done the work.
In an Olympics year he decides that now is the time to do it?? Really?

Maybe he needed to be humiliated to find that desire to actual work on his game, but the timing is terrible.

Reply #855452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olgun cannot for financial reasons.

Reply #855454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons is going to work on his jumpshot and come back as one of the best players in the world. At which point, he'll switch allegiances to Team USA.

Reply #855456 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I called it months ago that he wouldn't be going to Tokyo. Lemanis fell on his sword because of this bloke and here we are. Albeit this decision might be out of his hands fingers crossed he'll be there. Its not often we get to see the full contingent of our best aussies playing together. Poor shooting or not he can still provide so much for this boomers team. But 34% free throw percentage is a major concern!

Reply #855459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many of these younger guys have a me-first attitude over supporting country, debatable if country even means anything to them.

You saw it during the world champs with "my image" being more important than helping the team win.

Reply #855463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look forward to the social media footage of him hitting some turnaround jump shots in summer pickup and everyone salivating again.

Welcome to the new era of superstars.
Clout before anything. How they value themselves.

Ben attitude to everyone is of arrogance and 'what would you know' wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a 30 for 30 story of broke part 2

Reply #855468 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think we all knew Simmons wasn't going to play for us in Tokyo. He's just too flaky. I didn't want him on the team and hopefully a line gets ruled through his name from now on a bit like Bolden. I doubt it will happen but I wish BA would say to him this was your last chance, enough with the tease or you're out for good.

Reply #855469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bol lemanis couldn't get the job done in 5 years, it was time for a change and I’m g
And I’m glad it ended being goorj instead of brown. If brown had stayed we’d be fked.

Reply #855470 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's the chances we are back here playing this game in three years time?

We can say put a line through him, until today becomes long in the past and we are lured by the proposition of Simmons playing in Paris.

Reply #855476 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'd love to see Simmons succeed, being an Aussie and all, but let's be honest his career trajectory is looking bad

I remember watching him in his rookie season and thinking he could be the next Lebron. 4 years later, where is he at?

Tell me, how many NBA superstars have a trajectory like his- 4 years in and still averaging 14ppg, struggling through a playoff series.

This all suggests to me, sadly, that he lacks the killer instinct, the work ethic to become one of the greats. He'll probably remain a very good defender, and a multiple all star but very unlikely to ever be an MVP candidate or All-NBA 1st team. If you rewind 3 or 4 or 5 years ago, we all would've thought those things would be likely. A bit of a shame really. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Reply #855483 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I would rather just not entertain the idea. The Boomers aren't a priority for him. If this were any other player on the squad there wouldn't be a question about playing in the Olympics. I just think we need to accept that Ben will play for the Boomers if he doesn't have a jump shot to fix, a kardashian to chase, or if he wouldn;'t prefer laying by the pool for a few months.

Reply #855484 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I actually dont care about his career. JHe's gome out of his way to be an irritant, race-baiting jerk. he comes across as super arrogant and entitled. And he's screwed the Boomers around consistently. I dont care if he's MVP or playing basketball in an obscure second division league somewhere next year.

Reply #855485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"race-baiting jerk"

Breaking news. Known racist doesn't like "race-baiter"

Reply #855488 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Oh look ME found the thread, not long until he starts ranting about Cambage too.

Reply #855489 | Report this post

Nightwatchman  
Years ago

Many of these younger guys have a me-first attitude over supporting country, debatable if country even means anything to them.

You saw it during the world champs with "my image" being more important than helping the team win.

I think people are re-writing history a little bit. I remember Luc Longley pulled out of playing for Australia in the World Championships in 1998 because he didn't want get injured and risk his contract prospects in NBA free agency. Longley has suggested his foot injuries that ended his career may have played a part by agreeing to play for Australia in the Sydney Olympics 2000.

Ben Simmons decision is disappointing if its true. But he's likely getting pressure from the 76ers. Chris Anstey was asked by the Chicago Bulls to skip the Olympics in 2000 and spend the time on a offseason weights development program. Anstey declined as the Bulls still wouldn't guarantee him a contract even if he did.

Reply #855490 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

He should be going to Tokyo. He needs to get some game rhythm going and it's his best opportunity to play some decent competition that he should be dominant in. He can work on his jumpshot and FT after/during. He needs somebody like Holger Geschwindner who can fix his head and his shot. It’s a mental thing in the end and if he can find his confidence at the Olympics it will do him wonders compared to shooting the ball in an empty gym

Reply #855493 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This is the continuing pattern with Simmons: always choosing the easier option mentally.

Playing in the Olympics under a new system, with new teammates, under the pressure of a major tournament. That could actually help him. Instead, he chooses to hide away with development, as usual, as the excuse.

The best development for him now would've been to absorb the wisdom of our NBA vets. They are a good bunch of guys, so I have no doubt they would've been willing in supporting Simmons.

Reply #855494 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I can't help but feel there is poetic justice in this for BA and Lemanis.

Reply #855496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks now a certainty of selection now Simmons is out.

Reply #855498 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bol lemanis couldn't get the job done in 5 years, it was time for a change
Spain is the only country in the world to have out performed Australia over that period.

Reply #855510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, I don't think you understand the ranking system very well...

Reply #855512 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm not talking about the ranking system, I'm talking about final placings at the Olympics and World Cup. Spain and Australia are the only countries with top four finishes in both 2016 and 2019.

Reply #855514 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Philly knows they're going to have trouble getting a good deal for him after the last few games and how little he’s progressed in 5 years.

Do you think their job will be easier if he gets injured or made to look ordinary in the Olympics?

They - and Rich Paul - are just trying to protect their bank balance.

Reply #855519 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The Olympics is a two week tournament. All of the preparation is done in the US. I fail to believe that due to "fixing his game" that he cant make the commitment. I mean, broken game or not he was meant to be playing out til about the same time of the year anyway if he made the finals.

"I can't help but feel there is poetic justice in this for BA and Lemanis."

Exactly. If this was all about Simmons then it looks like a super dumb move right now. I am not saying Lemanis is better than Goorjian but I'd probably prefer to have stuck with what was (close to) working rather than trying to fit in a new coach in a short time frame.

"Spain is the only country in the world to have out performed Australia over that period."

Yep, it wasn't broken. Didn't need fixing. They took a gamble to get Simmons and in the end, look where we are. It was only going to take a broken fingernail to keep Ben out of the Olympics. We need to stop gearing our whole program around getting him because it's really unlikely to actually happen.

Reply #855521 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah I don't get the criticism of Lemanis. He did a bloody good job and to be honest had Australia playing just about better basketball than anyone else over the 5 years, aside from an Olympic US team.

Australia basically had two heart breaking (extremely close) losses to Spain preventing Australia gold medal/championship games.

Reply #855522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You only lookin at 16 and 19 and nothing else?, so you just pick and choose what you want to see. Smart....

Reply #855524 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Those are the only major tournaments to have occurred in the last five years. What else are we supposed to look at? The Asian Cup that the Boomers ran roughshod over?

Reply #855528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis was great, a free throw miss from Mills and a very dodgy call on Bogut cost us a gold medal at the WC.

Reply #855530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't take into account eurobasket? All the lead up games?

A poster on reddit last year did the real rankings incorporating just 2014-20 (essentially lemanis time frame) and we are sitting 5th

Since 2014

USA
Spain
Serbia
France
Australia
Lithuania

Reply #855533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fiba rankings are really fked, cant take those seriously.

Reply #855535 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You don't take into account eurobasket?
Australia doesn't participate in the Eurobasket, you dolt.

Reply #855536 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Criticism of Lemanis is odd

Lost Bronze medal game by a point in Rio, had some tough reffing.

Lost semi final in double OT at World Cup. Patty hits the free throw, Australia most likely wins and most likely goes on to win Gold

A coach can only control what he can control, and he's had Australia humming along and playing great bball at 2 major tournaments.

It would've been better leaving him in charge while we still have Ingles/Mills/Baynes/Delly, and then switching for the next World Cup when presumably those guys will be playing lesser roles.

Reply #855537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our youth Aus women are 7th ranked after medaling in almost every tournament for 8 years.

Reply #855538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobedoesntrule, it's not just about Aus, we are not the third best performing team over 5 years.

Reply #855540 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You are an absolute moron.

Reply #855541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody likes you, ranked number 1

Reply #855542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Logue tweets that goorjian is surprised at this news

Must've been a late change of mind by Simmons

Reply #855544 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" You don't take into account eurobasket? All the lead up games?

A poster on reddit last year did the real rankings incorporating just 2014-20 (essentially lemanis time frame) and we are sitting 5th"

What value are they on a global perspective though? The ones that prove it are the ones where everyone is competing - WC and Olympics.

How can Australia prove it's better than euro clubs via a Eurobasket tournament?

And how can Euro teams prove they’re better than Australia via Eurobasket?

2016 and 2019 weighted together, you’d say US produced the best basketball in 2016 and probably Australia in 2019.

Obviously Spain was most consistent by knocking out Australia twice, so fair play to people arguing Spain is better and it’s only fair they are ranked higher.

Serbia and France - In 2 games v Serbia the teams went 1-1, in 2 games v France the teams went 1-1. Australia is the only one of the three that finished top 4 in both tournaments I think?

Reply #855545 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" we are not the third best performing team over 5 years."

You haven't made a sound argument why Australia aren’t.

If you focus on WC you can argue 4th on result, if you focus on WC and Olympics it’s third - and Fiba rankings reflects that.

If you’re going further you’re at risk of the whole thing being irrelevant as that’s a substantial period - I’m not even sure Spain will be that good this time around. 2019 was its last hurrah.

If Aussies had Simmons playing, we would have a fair expectation of a silver medal

Reply #855547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ket, you think we are the third best team on planet earth currently?

Reply #855548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobedoesntrule

BURN!!!!

Reply #855549 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yes, there's no valid reason to suggest otherwise unless more players pull out.

Reply #855550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do realise how short handed teams were at the WC? USA and Canada will almost completely change, Serbia, France get stronger slightly. Spain im not sure.

Reply #855551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia will struggle to finish top 4 without Simmons

Reply #855552 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Australia are one of the stacked teams in the world, even without Simmons.

USA we all expect to be gold.

Canada will improve but they were trash on WC, having a better side doesn't mean it will be better than Australia’s.

Serbia don’t have Jokic- there is no reason to expect Serbia is better than Australia. Close? Sure. Better on paper? No.
France is the same. Close? Sure. Better on paper? No.

Reply #855553 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

We actually don't know who is putting their hand up for other teams. USA looks stronger but what's news about that? At this point all we know is our squad is still much stronger than 2019. We don't know about everyone else, other than Serbia who've also just lost their best player.

Reply #855554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canada
That's just nba /g league, not europe.

Alexander-Walker
Barrett
Birch
Boucher
Brooks
Clarke
Darling
Dort
Gilgous-alexander
Joseph
Kapengle
Lyles
Mane
Mulder
Murray
Olynyk
Powell
Thompson
Wiggins

Reply #855555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgot brissett

Reply #855556 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ok, but have those guys committed? I dont even think they've qualified yet have they? Let's see them qualify before we talk about how good, or otherwise they'll be. The talent may be on paper but we need proof they can bring it together. But yes, talented squad, assuming they have access to them.

Reply #855557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have probably 20 more to add from Europe n college.

Reply #855558 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

None of that has anything to do with the original point, which is that we've only been outperformed by Spain over the past five years and branding Lemanis a failure is moronic.

Reply #855559 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If Slovenia get in then I would give them a sneaky chance at a medal since they will have the best player in the tournament.

It will be interesting to see who plays for the US, could see them coming back to the pack a bit again.
Spain has the experience but a lot of older players so injury could be a concern in a condensed tournament.

Reply #855560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Current Canada ins - not final

https://www.basketball.ca/news/19-athletes-participating-in-senior-mens-national-team-camp-ahead-of-fiba-olympic-qualifying-tournament

Reply #855561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one should doubt Spain, every tournament people say they are old and done, yet they keep winning medals.

Reply #855562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My jump shot needs work but I'd drop anything for a chance to play at the Olympics, represent my country and may be push for a medal.

Reply #855564 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

1. Golden generation
2. No medal

= BA, not Lemanis (or Goorjian) are the failure

BA should have appointed a coach after Rio PROVEN to be able to win international medals with a team of NBA players not just another Australian or English speaker

Lemanis PROVED he couldn't win one a couple of times but we persisted and then we went with Brown and then Goorjian who have also PROVED not to be able to win one

BA have shut the window.

Reply #855567 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

We came within two plays of Olympic bronze followed by World Cup gold.

That is not failure.

Reply #855570 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't blame Lemanis or BA for not medalling the last two times. We were right on the cusp. We rightfully should have medalled in 2016. We were some interesting calls and a missed freethrow from medalling in 2019. We've had some pretty rough luck. Plucking someone who has medalled with another country and making them coach may not have parlayed into a medal for us either. I think Lemanis developed the program very well and we went from being a middle-of-the-road team to a medal threat under his guide. As poor as he's been for the Bullets I think we need to realize that Lemanis did an excellent job with this team.

As for Ben, it is going to sound flip-floppy of me but this decision has not been verified. We dont even know where the news comes from as no one has been quoted. Some guy from ESPN said Ben Simmons is doubtful to play at the OLympics. Okay, is that just due to the situation and his assumptions? Did Ben say that? Is that Klutch Sports? Is that coming from Philly coaching staff? Is that just Ben's feeling 24 hours after a gut wrenching loss that changes after consultation with Brian Goorjian? We actually don't know.

Once again, I'd be extremely surprised if the tide turned and we see Ben line up in the green and gold this year but we actually don't know where this news is coming from.

Reply #855571 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I would have thought the Olympics would be a good chance for him to showcase he still has what it takes to play at an elite level.

Thats better than doing shooting drills for 2 weeks.

I wish him the best either way, it must be hard right now when it feels like he is everyone's punching bag.

Deserved or not I hope he can recover and be the force we all hoped he'd be.

Reply #855573 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well he has basically an entire off-season to work on his shot. The Olympics end 2 weeks after the finals. I am sure a compromise can be made that allows for both. It really comes down to Ben and if he wants to do that.

Reply #855575 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

I guess we will always wonder what might've been with a proven performer

We can always warmly re-assure ourselves that we were plucky, fought hard with aussie spirit and were just unlucky and robbed by those damn refs while Spain are warmed from the glow of the two more medals in their trophy cabinet

Reply #855576 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Lemanis is a proven performer. Spain are the only country to have done better.

Reply #855577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone googled FIBA headquarters yet?

Reply #855578 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The Boomers played some brilliant basketball under Andrej Lemanis. I don't know what to make of his efforts at club level, but for the national team he is, by far, the most successful coach that team has ever had. People who talk shit about him just seem to imagine the grass is greener on the other side, or that somehow the coach is the difference between the 1 percent plays that the players slipped up on. Lemanis system put them in the situation to win those games but things happened that he had no control over.

Reply #855580 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Funny, Argentina, Serbia, France and Russia all have Oly or WC medals from the last 6 years so how have only Spain 'done better' than us

And Lemanis is responsible for the brilliant basketball we played but not responsible when things didnt go right ! :):):)

I love this forum

Reply #855581 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

And also they forget that it takes time to develop a system in international ball. Players familiar with the system, developing chemistry, is huge in international basketball. Take the 2019 WC as an example and the success of teams with established head coaches versus those with rookie coaches at international level in major tournaments. A good example of the value of an established system was Czech Republic finishing top 8. Even if you are no Lemanis fan, it's very optimistic to expect any new coach to generate better results. Hopefully Goorjian runs mostly with the Lemanis system that the players are familiar with.

Reply #855582 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I still remember when Simmons, Maker, Exum and Bolden were supposed to be our future stars for the Boomers.

Reply #855583 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Which is also why perhaps the Simmons omission may not be such a terrible thing. If Simmons expected to run the show, the Boomers would've had to make some drastic changes to facilitate such a different style of player. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Simmons to play, but he doesn't deserve the keys to the team. I always liked Simmons as a gun role player in the Boomers system, although I wonder if he would take on such a role after expressing so much displeasure playing 4 in college.

Reply #855585 | Report this post

The whole we're ranked third in the world doesn't mean much without a medal. This is what we're playing for right not some silly meaningless ranking

Reply #855586 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"And Lemanis is responsible for the brilliant basketball we played but not responsible when things didnt go right ! :):):)
"

So the coach is responsible for missed free throws and clearly erroneous foul calls?

Reply #855587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Lemanis criticism (in regards to his boomers time) isn't as far fetched as some are trying to make it out. In regards to play style there are no faults as it was a joy to watch those teams. The key concerns come from late game execution (2016), the notion of 'team first’ getting to his head and then translating that into picking like 2-3 guys that never end up actually playing or being apart of the rotation (lisch and Martin in 2016, Gliddon and sobey in 2019, 2019 in particular looks bad as creek went from not being good enough to even be in the team to once being in jumping over both sobey and gliddon and becoming part of the rotation) and the alienation it appears of young players I.e. Simmons and Bolden (Simmons in particular being the issue). BA made the choice that we have a better choice with Simmons than without and if that means no lemanis then so be it.

At the same time as stated the basketball was a joy to watch under his tenure so can’t fault him for that and the guy also had some bad luck (referee calls, mills free throw) so can’t fault him for that either sometimes shit happens. However the alienation/not selecting of younger players over nbl guys that typically amount to nothing at the big stage is a concern. The entire time we hear the notion of culture with this team and to sustain it you need to pick a couple of young guys so they can be the next building blocks, something which lemanis appears to not have prioritised, despite concerns likely from BA and even players (I know bogut and patty have talked about this previously).

It can also be argued that due to the poor selections that has lead to issue like Mills and Ingles leading the world championships in minutes and delly not far behind.

To the point about younger players (I understand we know now adel was a disappointment) but the entire time it was he didn’t understand the system. Part of that is lemanis’ fault as you don’t learn a system after 4 days and you will need to continue to develop his chemistry and understanding of it and by not picking younger players that’s what you eventually get. And then to pick gliddon after only 2 days of camp would also confuse people as he took 2 days of gliddon but then basically just ignored a guy like creek’s entire career to that point. Let’s also not mention that basically early on he let bolden know he’d be the fifth big which yo say that to someone without even seeing how they go in game right away would piss anyone off and not mention Kay didn’t start showing his worth to the championships but the whole time lemanis stuck with him and basically didn’t give bolden a crack despite Kay being underwhelming early on.

You can also argue that he should’ve taken Simmons in 2014 as that was the catalyst for Simmons not ever joining the team again. And people can say he wasn’t ready, however for a long term investment he is and you would at least rather losing knowing your giving a young stud a chance as opposed to martin or gibson

So whilst his pure coaching was very good, his selections hampered us, however the bloke did have some bad luck along the way with injuries, calls etc

Back to Simmons however I don’t think it can be understated that he likely is getting immense pressure from the 76ers and rich Paul to not play and work out instead, we saw a similar thing to anstey in 2000, so before we crucify him let’s understand the likely factors surrounding him as I think even if he had a good performance in the playoffs then rich Paul at the least wouldn’t want him to go, now throw in the shocking performance throw in Paul and the 76ers I think all is adding up

Reply #855588 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Funny, Argentina, Serbia, France and Russia all have Oly or WC medals from the last 6 years so how have only Spain 'done better' than us
Because Spain is the only other team to have finished in the top four in both 2016 and 2019. Other teams may have finished higher once, but they also finished lower.

Reply #855589 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Gliddon and Creek don't play the same position and weren't competing for the same role.

Reply #855590 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Funny, Argentina, Serbia, France and Russia all have Oly or WC medals from the last 6 years so how have only Spain 'done better' than us"

I'd say a better argument is that Australia deserves to be in the same upper echelon as Argentina, Serbia, France, Spain. That's a great compliment to Lemanis for leading the team to that level. There is always an element of luck in those major tournaments to get a medal. It just takes one game, one unfavourable matchup, or even one poor call, to get eliminated.

Reply #855591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobedroolz, stop trollin. Who seriously believes we are the third ranked team in the world but have never won a major medal. The others have, when we do consistently, then we can be considered as a top tier team.

Reply #855592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31681488/philadelphia-76ers-plan-address-ben-simmons-shooting-woes-doc-rivers-says

Reply #855593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobedroolz

Goooott eeeeeemmmmmm!!!!

Reply #855594 | Report this post

Look I respect Lemanis as a coach, but at some point teams are going to figure out with the line ups he puts out there, apart from Mills no one is a threat to create their own shot and you can force them into over-possessing the ball creating turnovers.

Some of his match-ups are just plain weird as well. Baynes on Carmelo Anthony in 2016 and having Landale play the 4 against much more athletic opponents being 2 examples.

Reply #855595 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Alright, split opinions on Lemanis, fair enough. Either way we've got Brian Goorjian now and a team (most likely) without Ben Simmons. We have more depth than in 2019 but some concerns around injury and form. I am actually more comfortable with the team we're sending now without Simmons than I was when the 2019 team lost Bolden. It's not the end of the world for medal chances but it does seem like tbhe basketball gods REALLY have it in for the Boomers.

Reply #855596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both at international level are wings kobe, and that doesn't excuse lemanis lack of of trust to even play him 10 minutes a game. That in itself shows his limitations as what’s the point of having a guy on a roster but the moment there’s a chance for to play him you play the guy who didn’t even make the team initially. You can say different roles but face it, if fluff on was good enough he’d be the one to get those minutes which he wasn’t. At least sobey at one point played like 3 minutes in the first quarter of a game, whereas Lemanis for some reason was so locked in on Gliddon being and 11th man that he didn’t even get to be part of the rotation once there was a chance. Hell even Barlow got more junk time then gliddon just shows he wasn’t ready and it was a lore choice.

Therefore meaning maybe lemanis should actually pick the first 1-10 right then he’s not stressing what my hypothetical 11th man can do (which we never even saw) and pick a roster so that when a guy goes down you then have no faith in the 2 bullets babies so you have to go get the guy you cut.

Reply #855597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon* not fluff lol^

Reply #855598 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

'There is always an element of luck in those major tournaments to get a medal. It just takes one game, one unfavourable matchup, or even one poor call, to get eliminated.'

and it always happens to poor old plucky little true blue Australia who would have bags of medals that are rightfully theirs if it wasnt for good old b a d l u c k

Give me strength people, I'm leaving you to revel in your self-fulfilling aspirations of mediocrity

Reply #855599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor choice fuck me auto correct ^*

Reply #855600 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

All this focus on his shot is potentially counter-productive. It's going to make Simmons feel even more under scrutiny when taking a shot.

Sure, during his NBA career he has had mechanical regression in his shot, but it's the mental side that needs to be really addressed. If his mental side isn't addressed, we will just get to the same point as every off-season so far, looking good with his shot in practice, then shrinking confidence under game pressure. I wonder if the 76ers publicly expressing confidence in the work that will be done this off-season is just a way to increase his value, make him look good in no-pressure workouts, then trade him at a higher value to some sucker team who think his shot has improved.

Reply #855601 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

what's the point of having a guy on a roster but the moment there’s a chance for to play him you play the guy who didn’t even make the team initially.
Because they don't play the same role. I've said this. Repeatedly.

You can say different roles but face it, if fluff on was good enough he’d be the one to get those minutes which he wasn’t.
No, they PLAY DIFFERENT ROLES. Cooks going out didn't open up minutes for Gliddon, because THAT ISN'T GLIDDON'S ROLE.

How many times do I have to explain this?

Reply #855602 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Haha yeah, this guy must think Creek is a point guard or something. Creek was a like-for-like replacement for Cooks...

Reply #855603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe the point is you shouldn't pick a team based on we need 1 guy 2 do a very specific thing. So if gliddon was good enough then he’d be trusted to play. It’s not like he was gonna be a started it was 10 minutes a game. Part of being a good coach is when something doesn’t work or you get some bad luck, you adjust, something which lemanis didn’t do due to a lack of faith in that regardless of role, you’d be able to produce. You’re carrying on as if gliddon was going to be a starter and the number 1 option or the key rim protector, whether it’s hustle plays or shooting lemanis didn’t even have faith in him to play at all(which sobey at least got the chance to at one brief moment).

Reply #855605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The inclusion of a Thybulle n green n humphries don't make up for loss of bogut imo.
The rest of the team is the same without sobey, gliddon n Barlow who never played.

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Sobey-dnp much - exum 2021?
Goulding
Creek
Kay
Bogut - Humphries 2021?

Gliddon-dnp much - green/broekhoff 2021?
Barlow-dnp much - cooks/Motum 2021?

Reply #855606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets also not forget that his role of shooter off the bench was already taken, so lemanis basically said I'll take a guy who’ll come off the bench for me in the nbl vs probably the best Aussie in the comp. You scream about role all you want, but lemanis had no faith in him to even play 10 mins a game or hell even take Goulding’s spot as shooter off the bench. At the end of the day it’s can you be effective for me on the court which gliddon was not trusted to be, henceforth meaning lemanis needed to pull his head out of his ass actually pick players who can or at least will be part of the future for the boomers

Reply #855608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe it obviously helped that creek played the same role as cooks, but face it if lemanis can't trust someone to be effective in 10 mins a game then that’s a natural concern. He wasn’t seeking someone to be a vital role in the team it was can you play 10 minutes and be effective as a perimeter player. Which even if you recall lemanis even had hesitation with creek at first but as the tournament progressed he got more time. Hell if Barlow is getting more minutes than you in junk time then that alone is a worry

Reply #855610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back end bench spots mean nothing, look at nba play offs, starters getting nearly all the time plus at max two others.

Reply #855611 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Gliddon was there in case Goulding got injured. Goulding didn't get injured, so Gliddon didn't play.

Reply #855612 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kobe it obviously helped that creek played the same role as cooks
You say this like it was happenstance.

Reply #855613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes but could you imagine if just before the playoffs a team signed a guy who was cut in training camp and then went from not good enough to be in the team to jumping over other players to get game time it wouldn't be a good look regardless of role. If you’re a good coach you adjust, even ty lue figured out to go small against the jazz and basically make gobert a non factor

Reply #855615 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The reports were that Gliddon smashed it in the workouts with his 3-ball. Goulding proved his value in actual games. Would it have been any better for Lemanis to give Gliddon token minutes over Goulding? Gliddon was a useless selection, but still somewhat understandable because we always needed a sharpshooter replacement without Broekhoff, and it seems sensible to give minutes to the more in-form sharpshooting swingman on the team. The alternative was to put all your bench sharpshooter eggs in one basket. The value of a perimeter shooter also explained Barlow's selection. With multiple core players regressing with their perimeter shot (Delly, Baynes), might we need to prioritise perimeter shooting again? eg. select both Broekhoff and Goulding and give minutes to the more in-form player?

Reply #855616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe it's said as common sense I.e you replace a point guard with a point guard, a centre for a centre. However in those 2-4 spots there’s more flexibility and at the end of the day gliddon couldn’t produce even 10 minutes a game. Creek really only played small ball 4 against Spain I believe so it wasn’t like he often at the 4 he was playing as 3 for the most part which considering all the people on here carrying on about why cotton should be included over thybulle due to our offensive limitations, then gliddon and his supposed sharp shooting should’ve been the option

Reply #855618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes rjd he apparently tore up 2/4 days. The concern isn't so much that he was picked ahead of creek. It’s that once a wing went down, why wasn’t he, the only other wing on the roster at that point not in the rotation, entrusted to step up, instead creek had to brought in and then through the tournament it was clear lemanis didn’t trust gliddon a single bit

Reply #855619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which wing went down?

Reply #855620 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"2019
Delly
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Sobey-dnp much - exum 2021?
Goulding
Creek
Kay
Bogut - Humphries 2021?

Gliddon-dnp much - green/broekhoff 2021?
Barlow-dnp much - cooks/Motum 2021?"

I like this thinking as a benchmark for selections. The obvious outs are Gliddon, Barlow, Bogut.

Starters are locked in. I'd expect Humphries to be the only option to replace Bogut as a rim protector. Goulding, Creek, Kay have the form, big game mentality and experience to keep their spots on the team. That leaves 3 spots. I'm expecting Goorjian to select another ball handler, another swingman (a shooter?), and another big, essentially replacing Sobey, Gliddon and Barlow.

Ball handler: 2019 = Sobey; 2021: Exum, Giddey, Sobey
Swingman: 2019 = Gliddon; 2021: Broekhoff, Green, Thybulle
Big: 2019 = Barlow; 2021: Motum, Cooks, Reath

Reply #855621 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

On second thoughts, Green, Thybulle and Broekhoff fighting it out for one spot? Maybe the balance of the team needs to change. I'm still comfortable rewarding a shooter like Goulding, though.

Reply #855622 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Bogdan Bogdanovic might not make it to Tokyo either, particularly if Hawks and Bucks go to 7 games or the Hawks progress to the Finals and he gets no down time to rehabilitate his knee

Reply #855631 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They'll just swap him out for Bojan Bogdanovic, no one will notice.

Reply #855632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lesser nbl players are in the team, the more chance we are medalling.

Reply #855638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*fewer

Reply #855641 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"The lesser nbl players are in the team, the more chance we are medalling."

On the other hand, the more familiar players are with the Boomers system, the better our medal chances are.

I take it you are referring to Goulding, Creek, Landale, Cooks and Sobey? I previously didn't have Landale as a lock, and perhaps that should still be the case, but who should we take as a starting 4? Landale or Motum or Kay? How about Goulding? Who is the better sharpshooter not including our NBA core? Either Broekhoff takes his spot or we sacrifice perimeter shooting. Creek is arguably expendable, but his competition is really at the 4 spot: Landale, Kay, Motum, Cooks, Reath(?). I'm now thinking two 4s instead of three 4s that Lemanis went with, which allows for another swingman. This might leave Creek out. It means selecting 2 from: Landale, Kay, Cooks, Motum, Reath. Which two? As for ball-handlers, Sobey is no chance anyway, despite his strong NBL season. It will be Exum vs Giddey there, both NBAers soon enough.

It would be nice to be able to give Green and Giddey spots for experience, but who do we need to omit in their place?

Reply #855642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is a great player but needs the ball in his hands. Boomers don't need that. I'd much rather exum for his extra length as a defender.

Thybulle and Broekhoff are locks for me
Mills, Ingles and Baynes to do the bulk of the scoring.

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Thybulle
Broekhoff
Humphries

4 spots remain (Need Backup PG, A workhorse 3-4, And another 4)
Exum
Creek
Goulding
Kay

I think that will miss out

Cooks
Motum
Green

Reply #855643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Eddie Palubinskas could coach Simmons on free throw shooting, as he did with Shaquille O'Neal. He could tell him what it's like to represent Australia at the Olympics (and to make the All-World Olympic Team) as well. Couldn't hurt on either front.

Reply #855644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac,

That's not going to happen as Bogdan plays for Serbia and Bojan is from Croatia.

And would be in the team already you'd have thought.

Reply #855646 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

31 years ago that might have been true

Reply #855666 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Once Bodgans?

Reply #855670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad Bogs.

Reply #855677 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Just watched Bogut on Fox Sport talking re Ben S and Tokyo. May be repeated.

Bags Simmons for dicking around with his decision re Olympics but also defends his right to do what he wants.

Worth a watch.

Reply #855683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know that he dicked around with his decision this time. He just disappointed a lot of fans and team mates, especially since it seemed BA has bent over backwards to accommodate him.

Reply #855684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Klutch / rich paul = decision maker

Reply #855686 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Hard to see Baynes and Delly being as impactful as 2019. Feels like we've regressed a bit over the past 2 years, Bogut gone, and no one has stepped up really

Reply #855784 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

The future of our centre position once Baynes is gone is concerning.

Reply #855793 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What? It's probably the only position that isn't concerning with Landale, Humphries, Sam Froling and possibly even Jordan Hunter coming through.

Reply #855802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac none you speak of are ever going to be Olympic level

Reply #855804 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Landale will be there in Tokyo and Humphries probably at the next Olympics.

Reply #855809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunter and Humphries are the only two big enough.

Reply #855811 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Lol Sam Froling.

Reply #855815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Future post depth choices that can play 4 or 5 man
95 Cooks 6'8
95 Landale 6’11
96 Simmons 6’10
96 Bolden 6’10
96 Reath 6’11
97 White 6’8
97 Hunter 6’10
97 Maker 7’0
98 Maker 6’10
98 Magnay 6’10
98 Humphries 6’11
00 Froling 7’0
00 Maker 6’11

Potential Future post depth choices - the next crop
02 Wessels 7’1
02 Adebayo 6’8
02 Jones 6’9
02 Okwera 6’10
02 Gak 6’11
03 Dengdit 6’9
03 Olbrich 6’10
04 Yaak 6’10
04 Yates 6’9
04 Magbegor 6’8

Reply #855820 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Interesting article here:

https://7news.com.au/sport/olympics/his-best-interests-boomers-veteran-reacts-to-ben-simmons-olympic-fears-c-3190098

Reply #855835 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am not sure whether to take anything from it, but we are three days from the "doubtful" news and we're yet to have confirmation that Ben is out of the OLympics.

The camp starts tomorrow and the time frame for that confirmation would be closing in. But without doubt, wheels will be turning behind the scenes. Someone would have spoken to Ben by now, and as of now, no announcement. This makes me think, in the parlance of Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber "so you're saying there's a chance?"

Extremely slim but I am starting to think there might be.

Reply #855846 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Looking at it the other way, if he has told the team to get stuffed they probably wouldn't announce that before the camp had started either.

I don't know what Ben's real intentions were for Tokyo (prior to the playoffs), but if he had planned to play then I feel like the more time that passes after being eliminated, the more likely he would be to come back around to that decision. But I don't think this has been nearly enough time for that to happen, so I'd be shocked if he said yes now even if he was originally planning to.

But fingers crossed. If he says today that he's in, then that's still a full camp to get his head right, and I know he'll be a valuable member of the team once he is in that environment.
But if he's not there then we've got to forget about him and move on.

From Ben's POV, the incentive of "The Olympic Experience" barely exists this year anyway with this lame, compromised version of the games.

Reply #855854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel sorry for him atm, really getting piled on.

Reply #855855 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There is a second camp in a week's time that he could make himself available to. I would expect some sort of confirmation before this camp though and seeing as it isnt ther eyet, I feel like the decision has not been made or there is some compromises being made.

Reply #855857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries out injured, broekhoff out.

Lol, dwindling...

Now likely

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Exum
Goulding
Thybulle
2 of Cooks, Kay or Motum
Reath

1 of Green or creek or Sobey

Reply #856040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:00 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754